• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Battleship said:

Agreed he is definitely the Newbie but also the the fastest learner out there.

He's also as cool a lump of ice, his heart monitor looks like its basically stuck at about 70% regardless of whats going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsNzL said:

That first race, my gawd that was just awesome.  And I always maintained Deano chokes under pressure, saw it at 2007 and 13.

Yeah, I think Deano is one of those guys that's really talented but for whatever reason just can't seem to find a way to win or get the job done.

Interesting with the heart rate monitors today, grinders on AR maxed out at 95% alot of the time, ETNZ around at 65%, heap of capacity left it seems.

I wonder if Van Velthooven pushes a bigger gear?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still trashing Deano, you will probably trash Burling when he sells out to the highest bid, because he probably will and why shouldn't  he ? Plenty of precedent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ADCAT said:

Still trashing Deano, you will probably trash Burling when he sells out to the highest bid, because he probably will and why shouldn't  he ? Plenty of precedent.  

I would be surprised if Burling sells out, for him (and most of the team) it's not about the money.

Feel a bit bad for Deano must be doing a mind job on him right now, he has proved however that he is a pretty decent sailor, but really struggles to close things off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Yeah, I think Deano is one of those guys that's really talented but for whatever reason just can't seem to find a way to win or get the job done.

Interesting with the heart rate monitors today, grinders on AR maxed out at 95% alot of the time, ETNZ around at 65%, heap of capacity left it seems.

I wonder if Van Velthooven pushes a bigger gear?   

Deano is quite simply too nice a guy for the cut-throat merciless world of professional sport. Every great player in any sports code needs to have an element of fearless confidence, inevitably perceived as "arrogance" by their opponents, to succeed. Coutts had it, Conner had it, Spithill has it, Tiger Wood had it...

Get the feeling that Deano is carrying some baggage from the way he handled his departure from ETNZ, and at times seems very self-conscious of it. Of course it doesn't help being reminded about it by the Italian reporter at the pressers...;)

But he is a Kiwi and I wish him all the best for tomorrow. If he pulls off a win in the first race, I'd pick him to get to 5 before ART.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Indio said:

Deano is quite simply too nice a guy for the cut-throat merciless world of professional sport. Every great player in any sports code needs to have an element of fearless confidence, inevitably perceived as "arrogance" by their opponents, to succeed. Coutts had it, Conner had it, Spithill has it, Tiger Wood had it...

Get the feeling that Deano is carrying some baggage from the way he handled his departure from ETNZ, and at times seems very self-conscious of it. Of course it doesn't help being reminded about it by the Italian reporter at the pressers...;)

But he is a Kiwi and I wish him all the best for tomorrow. If he pulls off a win in the first race, I'd pick him to get to 5 before ART.

It's not over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

Indio well said about Barker 

Here, Here,  Too nice a guy - not that I have met him but he comes across as ...

And personally I would prefer to be a nicer guy....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

Interesting with the heart rate monitors today, grinders on AR maxed out at 95% alot of the time, ETNZ around at 65%, heap of capacity left it seems.

Thing about those monitors, it's only half the equation. The other half is the power output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eurochild said:

Thing about those monitors, it's only half the equation. The other half is the power output.

There should be a heart rate monitor for us viewers. Pretty sure I was maxing out a couple of times and that was just sitting on the couch producing no useful power of any sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ADCAT said:

Still trashing Deano, you will probably trash Burling when he sells out to the highest bid, because he probably will and why shouldn't  he ? Plenty of precedent.  

Deano didn't sell out. World of difference between him and Coutts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Battleship said:

I would be surprised if Burling sells out, for him (and most of the team) it's not about the money.

What the hell are you smoking? Of course it is about the money. If they weren't being paid large sums they would not be doing it. If you are trying to suggest that Burling wouldn't go to another team just to get more money, again, i think you are wrong but only depending ion the amount involved. For  say 10% more, there is no way Burling would change teams but for double, he would be a fool not to. The AC is how these guys will secure their financial futures. Of course, it is all hypethetical because nobody is going to offer Burling double what ETNZ would pay him, not because he isn't good enough but because nobody is worth paying that much for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A Class Sailor said:

What the hell are you smoking? Of course it is about the money. If they weren't being paid large sums they would not be doing it. If you are trying to suggest that Burling wouldn't go to another team just to get more money, again, i think you are wrong but only depending ion the amount involved. For  say 10% more, there is no way Burling would change teams but for double, he would be a fool not to. The AC is how these guys will secure their financial futures. Of course, it is all hypethetical because nobody is going to offer Burling double what ETNZ would pay him, not because he isn't good enough but because nobody is worth paying that much for.

 Do you have any idea what they are being paid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rushman said:

 Do you have any idea what they are being paid?

more than me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

PB says they used to damage to the boat to make it faster...

 

Damn, it definetly has some pace..

Can you rephrase that please? I don't understand the statement :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Can you rephrase that please? I don't understand the statement :(

Rather than repairing the damage 'like-for-like' they also incorporated improvements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man Overboard said:

Rather than repairing the damage 'like-for-like' they also incorporated improvements.

 

Ah thanks, makes much more sense :) Impressive that they could make improvements as well as repair it ready for racing in less than 24 hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, A Class Sailor said:

What the hell are you smoking? Of course it is about the money. If they weren't being paid large sums they would not be doing it.

Perhaps this is news to you but some people do sports for the fun & local glory.

Wouldn't surprise me if PB goes to another team for the $$$ at some time in the future as many others have before but I expect he stays with NZ at least for the next one. (assuming no severe performance fuckup/team relationship issues)

 

Back to the 'RBR' thing:

I was thinking something like Realtime Board Rake

But then there was a later call that sounded like it was giving a wrong layline or something not board related.

So maybe RDR -> Race Data Repeater, Realtime Data Recorder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hoom said:

Perhaps this is news to you but some people do sports for the fun & local glory.

Wouldn't surprise me if PB goes to another team for the $$$ at some time in the future as many others have before but I expect he stays with NZ at least for the next one. (assuming no severe performance fuckup/team relationship issues)

 

Back to the 'RBR' thing:

I was thinking something like Realtime Board Rake

But then there was a later call that sounded like it was giving a wrong layline or something not board related.

So maybe RDR -> Race Data Repeater, Realtime Data Recorder?

Whats interesting is I am pretty sure Artemis did something similar and manaully guessed the layline on one of the runs as well.  There was also the bit where the marks were "moving" I think maybe the data of the left hand bottom mark wasn't right / there.

Total guess work, but two boats in the same spot making the same call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoom said:

Perhaps this is news to you but some people do sports for the fun & local glory.

The AC isn't a sport. It is just one branch of sailing. You cannot ignore that it is the highest level of professional sport and is all about the money. For the sailors, the sacrifices they have to make means they need to be appropriately rewarded. Most have only 2 or 3 AC cycles in which they need to maximise their earnings. Maybe you can do it once for "fun" but these guys can earn good money for far less work outside of the cup so they need to see a significant premium to make up for the sacrifices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rushman said:

 Do you have any idea what they are being paid?

From what I understand all of ETNZ are well paid. Talent doesn't come for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Class Sailor said:

What the hell are you smoking? Of course it is about the money. If they weren't being paid large sums they would not be doing it. If you are trying to suggest that Burling wouldn't go to another team just to get more money, again, i think you are wrong but only depending ion the amount involved. For  say 10% more, there is no way Burling would change teams but for double, he would be a fool not to. The AC is how these guys will secure their financial futures. Of course, it is all hypethetical because nobody is going to offer Burling double what ETNZ would pay him, not because he isn't good enough but because nobody is worth paying that much for.

If you had ever met the man you would probably know what I am talking about.

They are a bunch of young guys who love sailing just want to beat the rest for their country, maybe if Burling was at the end of his career like most of the others he would chase dollars. The money is just a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Battleship said:

I would be surprised if Burling sells out, for him (and most of the team) it's not about the money.

 

I'm with you on this @Battleship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

The AC isn't a sport. It is just one branch of sailing. You cannot ignore that it is the highest level of professional sport and is all about the money. For the sailors, the sacrifices they have to make means they need to be appropriately rewarded. Most have only 2 or 3 AC cycles in which they need to maximise their earnings. Maybe you can do it once for "fun" but these guys can earn good money for far less work outside of the cup so they need to see a significant premium to make up for the sacrifices. 

Sacrifices??They are being paid, very well, for doing something they surely love. Seems perfect to me. They are in better position than most of us around here, and surely we do sacrifices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rushman said:

 Do you have any idea what they are being paid?

 know for a long time that RC was NZ highest paid sports person.  Probably still is.  Lydia maybe?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ADCAT said:

Still trashing Deano, you will probably trash Burling when he sells out to the highest bid, because he probably will and why shouldn't  he ? Plenty of precedent.  

can't really bag dean, he was more pushed that running away for the money, although am sure he is on a good wicket.  

I would expect a couple of campaigns out of the young fellas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Qman said:

 know for a long time that RC was NZ highest paid sports person.  Probably still is.  Lydia maybe?

 

Don't you have to be actually competing to be a sportsman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Qman said:

 know for a long time that RC was NZ highest paid sports person.  Probably still is.  Lydia maybe?

 

Steven Adams, surely. Maybe Scott Dixon too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey team, in his latest videos, Jason is wearing an ETNZ cap. Do you think he's been won over by witnessing the pit crew dramas the other day??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Qman said:

 know for a long time that RC was NZ highest paid sports person.  Probably still is.  Lydia maybe?

 

More likely to be the big earners overseas. In October Steven Adams will jump to over US$20m per year. Winston Reid and Scott Dixon probably earning decent money, too. Maybe some retired All Blacks playing in France would be up there too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jorge said:

Sacrifices??They are being paid, very well, for doing something they surely love. Seems perfect to me. They are in better position than most of us around here, and surely we do sacrifices.

No fucking clue. That's what so many people say about all professional sport. There are guys out there who have been away from home for the best part of 18 months, who have seen their children for no more than a few weeks at Christmas and maybe a few days throughout the rest of the year. The stress it puts on family relationships is unreal. I have 2 friends who have each done 2 AC campaigns, both offered a gig this time around. One didn't take it because his wife said she would leave him if he did while the other decided he had already missed too much of his kids growing up. Both of them are now making something like 2/3rds the money but spending over half the year at home. I also know people who made the choice to become Volvo specialists rather than do the AC because they would get more time with the family. That blew my mind - a ROW sailor gets to spend more time with his or her family than an AC sailor! For those without family, it's a great gig but for the rest, there are serious sacrifices. Remember the guy who went after OR over being dismissed at it turned out that the real issue was over living expenses? His was a public airing of what goes on a lot behind the scenes.

When you are young like Burling, you might do it once for the love of it, for the fun etc but after that, if you are not maximising your earnings potential, it simply is not worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoom said:

Back to the 'RBR' thing:

AFAIK it's called RVR and is a program that does race course numbers, times to lines / boundaries etc. Some of the system output goes into the audio system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Lartitude36S said:

Don't you have to be actually competing to be a sportsman?

Highest paid consultant is more like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

More likely to be the big earners overseas. In October Steven Adams will jump to over US$20m per year. Winston Reid and Scott Dixon probably earning decent money, too. Maybe some retired All Blacks playing in France would be up there too?

when we were living in NZ i remember (who knows if its true) hearing that at the time Steve Williams (at the time Tiger Woods's caddy).was NZs top paid sports person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zaTTaz said:

From what I understand all of ETNZ are well paid. Talent doesn't come for free.

"well paid" is relative: by NZ standards, yes. By the standards of OR-XEROX and the poodles, not so much. All of the ETNZ team members took a pay cut - that's on record. If the team gets enough sponsorship to pay everyone a million $, I have no problem with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Adams $NZ35m pa

2 Coutts 13m

3 W Reid 13m

4 Dixon 11m

5 Danny Lee $8m

6 Lydia Ko  $6.3m

Dan Carter  7th ,  $4.2m

McCaw  8th

9th jockey James McDonald  $2m.

Sonny Bill Williams 10th.

WELL DONE ALL, smashing  that  green-eyed we're-all-socialists-together  kiwi knocking  machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiwis to support Emirates Team NZ through HP simulator

Friday, 9 June 2017 3:57 pm | HP New Zealand Press Release
Tags: Culture, Americas Cup Wire, Sport, Informative.

As Emirates Team New Zealand races to keep New Zealand’s hopes of bringing the America’s Cup home alive, HP New Zealand is offering Kiwis at home the chance to get involved and support the crew.

A cycle grinder simulator based in Auckland’s Wynyard Quarter will allow people to jump on one of four stationary watt bikes and race in a 30-second sprint to see who can generate the most grind power. The simulator will be open to the public for three weekends in a row, starting on Saturday 10th June. Photos of those who participate will be shared with a message of support for the crew in Bermuda.

The team’s professional grinders are known to sustain 1,300 watts over a 30 second sprint, while the average person can cycle at around 700 watts over the same period. HP has designed the cycle grind simulator to help drive support for the crew and to give Kiwis a taste of what it’s like to compete in the most extreme high-speed sailing event in the world. The simulator will include a live leader board for participants to see how they stack up against their friends, family and the Emirates Team New Zealand crew, along with prizes for the day’s top performers.

HP’s cutting edge on-board technology, including HP ZBook workstations and HP EliteBook notebooks, sensors and strain gauges embedded in the dagger boards, is helping the crew to crunch the numbers, analyse critical data and fine-tune in real time. The team are currently processing up to 50GB of data from video and 30 onboard sensors, analysing water temperature and salinity, and gauging wing controls, rudders and the power generated by the cycle grinders in real time. The data allows crew members to make split second decisions when it matters most and has helped to push the boundaries of traditional America’s Cup sailing.

“HP New Zealand is keenly following the America’s Cup and we are extremely proud to be an Official Supplier to Emirates Team New Zealand, helping them to create an innovative and dynamic hi-tech environment onboard the boat, which we hope will give them an edge over their competitors,” said Grant Hopkins, Managing Director, HP New Zealand. “The team is competing a long way from home so with the cycle grinder simulator we wanted to create a way for Kiwis at home to demonstrate their support and let them know we’re backing them all the way to reclaim the America’s Cup for New Zealand’s trophy cabinet.”

Date: Saturday 10th – Sunday 11th June, 2017

Saturday 17th – Sunday 18th June, 2017

Saturday 24th – Sunday 25th June, 2017

Time: 10am – 4pm

Location: Wynyard Quarter, Auckland

 http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1706/S00178.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think about it, if ETNZ wins the Americas Cup this year, they would have single handedly eliminated most of the fleet themselves. They eliminated France, the Brits, if they win the final, they'll eliminate either Artemis or Japan, then if they win the AC itself, they'll eliminate Oracle as well. Man, what a way to win, IF they do win, to go through the whole fleet except one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Hey team, in his latest videos, Jason is wearing an ETNZ cap. Do you think he's been won over by witnessing the pit crew dramas the other day??

My bet is, he's Martin and Petes cameraman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sclarke said:

If you think about it, if ETNZ wins the Americas Cup this year, they would have single handedly eliminated most of the fleet themselves. They eliminated France, the Brits, if they win the final, they'll eliminate either Artemis or Japan, then if they win the AC itself, they'll eliminate Oracle as well. Man, what a way to win, IF they do win, to go through the whole fleet except one. 

There's no other way to get into the Match, with multiple Challengers. You have to see off all teams challenging. Pretty good so far.

But worth remembering, there's one team we haven't beaten in 11 straight races - OTUSA.

It's still one hell of a high mountain to climb even if we reach LVS winner status, before we knock the bastard off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get too far ahead brothers, sister and hermaphrodite barfy. 

ENJOY THIS MOMENT, FOR NOW WE BASK IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT DEANO IS CHOKING HIS CURRY UP. 

I'm going to hook my heart rate monitor up next time ETNZ race. I'm curious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, sclarke said:

If you think about it, if ETNZ wins the Americas Cup this year, they would have single handedly eliminated most of the fleet themselves. They eliminated France, the Brits, if they win the final, they'll eliminate either Artemis or Japan, then if they win the AC itself, they'll eliminate Oracle as well. Man, what a way to win, IF they do win, to go through the whole fleet except one. 

Agree 100 percent. Just loved the first race too. Really showed BA and OR our pace. Me thinks our chances are looking a tad better than even. Hope like hell they have wifi where we are headed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kiwi_bob said:

Does any one have any info on the status of the 2nd wing? Do we have a spare and if not will we, and when?

GD said on the radio with Hosking yesterday morning that it would be a few days but it'll be repaired no problem. I think GA said something similar in their daily wrap video yesterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kiwi_bob said:

Does any one have any info on the status of the 2nd wing? Do we have a spare and if not will we, and when?

you can be sure that if they make a small fortune out of it then they will have started with a big one.......that's how the marine game works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sclarke said:

If you think about it, if ETNZ wins the Americas Cup this year, they would have single handedly eliminated most of the fleet themselves. They eliminated France, the Brits, if they win the final, they'll eliminate either Artemis or Japan, then if they win the AC itself, they'll eliminate Oracle as well. Man, what a way to win, IF they do win, to go through the whole fleet except one. 

I think you are right. If ETNZ wins the cup they will eliminate most of the competition. Oracle won't come back and neither will SBTJ. I am not sure about Artemis. It could end up being BAR, GTF and ETNZ left assuming when the smoke clears the French really can get the money which they so nearly didn't this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Team_GBR said:

I think you are right. If ETNZ wins the cup they will eliminate most of the competition. Oracle won't come back and neither will SBTJ. I am not sure about Artemis. It could end up being BAR, GTF and ETNZ left assuming when the smoke clears the French really can get the money which they so nearly didn't this time around.

why would oracle not come back?

america will always challenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, starlyte said:

why would oracle not come back?

america will always challenge

America may always challenge, but Larry Ellison may not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weta27 said:

Wouldn't it be great if the NYYC got back in the game?

they'd be quite capable of making Larry and Berty look like rank amateurs with regard to self serving I'd be thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

I think you are right. If ETNZ wins the cup they will eliminate most of the competition. Oracle won't come back and neither will SBTJ. I am not sure about Artemis. It could end up being BAR, GTF and ETNZ left assuming when the smoke clears the French really can get the money which they so nearly didn't this time around.

+ Luna Rossa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

I think you are right. If ETNZ wins the cup they will eliminate most of the competition. Oracle won't come back and neither will SBTJ. I am not sure about Artemis. It could end up being BAR, GTF and ETNZ left assuming when the smoke clears the French really can get the money which they so nearly didn't this time around.

And this is a problem? It is not a charity event, or a red bull event. It is a challenge cup, so if some drop out who gives a toss. Only need one challenger and it is game on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

And this is a problem? It is not a charity event, or a red bull event. It is a challenge cup, so if some drop out who gives a toss. Only need one challenger and it is game on.

Calm down boss. What I'm saying is, if they were to win, they would have eliminated the most teams of every team in the event by virtue of eliminating the French. They even almost eliminated themselves! haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, meanermachine said:

GD said on the radio with Hosking yesterday morning that it would be a few days but it'll be repaired no problem.

Did anyone notice he said they only had 1 wing in SF?!?! :huh:

I mean, there are photos & stuff

DSC_3480.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

I think you are right. If ETNZ wins the cup they will eliminate most of the competition. Oracle won't come back and neither will SBTJ. I am not sure about Artemis. It could end up being BAR, GTF and ETNZ left assuming when the smoke clears the French really can get the money which they so nearly didn't this time around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Louis_Vuitton_Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Louis_Vuitton_Cup

Seems to me we attracted a lot more teams than this and the previous cup combined  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Calm down boss. What I'm saying is, if they were to win, they would have eliminated the most teams of every team in the event by virtue of eliminating the French. They even almost eliminated themselves! haha

Comment was aimed at GBR who seems to think it will be a problem that some of those we would have beaten don't front up for a re-match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we win, I hope the first rule introduced is a clause banning the prize cunts (LE, EB & RC) from having anything to do with AC36. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt17 said:

If we win, I hope the first rule introduced is a clause banning the prize cunts (LE, EB & RC) from having anything to do with AC36. 

Or bring in the nationality rule 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt17 said:

If we win, I hope the first rule introduced is a clause banning the prize cunts (LE, EB & RC) from having anything to do with AC36. 

Unlikely but I like your thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what's up with IM (?) changing the number of legs in a race? Can he do that once the race has started?! Given he appears to (once again) be sucking LE's left nut, should we fear he'll manipulate the course to better suit OR and/or the conditions that OR excels in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt17 said:

Does anyone know what's up with IM (?) changing the number of legs in a race? Can he do that once the race has started?! Given he appears to (once again) be sucking LE's left nut, should we fear he'll manipulate the course to better suit OR and/or the conditions that OR excels in?

I believe he does that to make sure the race lasts around 20 mins.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Matt17 said:

Does anyone know what's up with IM (?) changing the number of legs in a race? Can he do that once the race has started?! Given he appears to (once again) be sucking LE's left nut, should we fear he'll manipulate the course to better suit OR and/or the conditions that OR excels in?

Get with the program.  You must have stumbled onto the wrong forum. 

It is to keep the races to the correct approximate time limit.  More wind,  more speed so longer course! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Get with the program.  You must have stumbled onto the wrong forum. 

It is to keep the races to the correct approximate time limit.  More wind,  more speed so longer course! 

Since when did yacht races need a time limit!!  I don't see a time limit happening in the Volo ocean race to keep viewers happy!    They should just have a 9 leg race and be done with it.  The 7 legs seem to go way to fast.  You can hardly call the first and last a "leg" either!  Just a speed test run.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Geotta said:

Since when did yacht races need a time limit!!  I don't see a time limit happening in the Volo ocean race to keep viewers happy!    They should just have a 9 leg race and be done with it.  The 7 legs seem to go way to fast.  You can hardly call the first and last a "leg" either!  Just a speed test run.

 

The majority of sailing races have a time limit apart from the Transocean ones.  Try reading a few sailing instructions! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indio said:

+ Alighi

Oh God yeah. Remember when the Prada lads were in Auckland. Those dudes had class and knew how to party! 

 

Yeah, you know. A couple of months back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Geotta said:

Since when did yacht races need a time limit!!  I don't see a time limit happening in the Volo ocean race to keep viewers happy!    They should just have a 9 leg race and be done with it.  The 7 legs seem to go way to fast.  You can hardly call the first and last a "leg" either!  Just a speed test run.

 

It's for the crash bang tv, for the ones that have a short attention span.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Burle
[burl] 
verb (used with object)
to win a competition by  such a margin that substantive effort is not required in the later stages (eg not needing to compete in the last races of a sailing regatta as the win has already been secured)
 
Burling
[ˈburl ɪŋ]
The act of winning competitions with time to spare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

It's for the crash bang tv, for the ones that have a short attention span.  

LOL you mean the "Facebook Generation" in the famous words of Sir Russell.  I  would be quite happy to watch these races go at least another couple of legs.

Guess the bottom line for the ACEA in the mighty $$$$$.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Get with the program.  You must have stumbled onto the wrong forum. 

It is to keep the races to the correct approximate time limit.  More wind,  more speed so longer course! 

if its not about lycra clad middle age bikers this boy knows shit...give him a break...or put him on iggy like i did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Geotta said:

LOL you mean the "Facebook Generation" in the famous words of Sir Russell.  I  would be quite happy to watch these races go at least another couple of legs.

Guess the bottom line for the ACEA in the mighty $$$$$.

 

LOL yea something like that I too old for the fb generation.  Man if they did add another couple of legs, big advantage to us for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours to get thru races, dockouts, pressors, and this rabble. big day :)

Burling and team did well today, not all clean but got the job done. This is the way the boys got the gold and the 29? in a row, persistence, consistence, and completion. The Boat is fast, and will get faster when needs be. Ben's respect was obvious in his presser, he's had a good look.

Sat is shaping up light, and sunday low to mid. I am of the mind deano will take his end tomorrow in the fresh and frightening, he'd better beware of the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, barfy said:

6 hours to get thru races, dockouts, pressors, and this rabble. big day :)

Burling and team did well today, not all clean but got the job done. This is the way the boys got the gold and the 29? in a row, persistence, consistence, and completion. The Boat is fast, and will get faster when needs be. Ben's respect was obvious in his presser, he's had a good look.

Sat is shaping up light, and sunday low to mid. I am of the mind deano will take his end tomorrow in the fresh and frightening, he'd better beware of the next day.

Are you saying Deano is done like a dogs dinner? I thought you posted a love letter last week stating you wanted his fluids inside you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Anybody here have a idea how much $$$$ a cup campaign costs.

To win, or to take part?

We saw what GTF got for their spend. We've yet to see what OTUSA has got for the match, but they look bloody strong so far. And their money certainly is no hindrance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

The majority of sailing races have a time limit apart from the Transocean ones.  Try reading a few sailing instructions! 

To be fair though most of the time it's sufficiently long to get around in anything except drifter conditions, which is why they are usually implemented in the first place, not many races have a time limit imposed by a TV schedule, mainly because most races aren't interesting enough for none sailors to ever screen live on TV in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice interview here with BAR's CTO Andrew Clayton : talks frankly about the current boats in general, the reasons behind ETNZ's capsize, the racing format...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gissie said:

And this is a problem? It is not a charity event, or a red bull event. It is a challenge cup, so if some drop out who gives a toss. Only need one challenger and it is game on.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Matt17 said:

Nice interview here with BAR's CTO Andrew Clayton : talks frankly about the current boats in general, the reasons behind ETNZ's capsize, the racing format...

 

Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Matt17 said:

Nice interview here with BAR's CTO Andrew Clayton : talks frankly about the current boats in general, the reasons behind ETNZ's capsize, the racing format...

 

Best AC interview I've seen this round. An interesting and intelligent conversation. What a proper gentleman. 

Thanks for posting friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NZW said:
Burle
[burl] 
verb (used with object)
to win a competition by  such a margin that substantive effort is not required in the later stages (eg not needing to compete in the last races of a sailing regatta as the win has already been secured)
 
Burling
[ˈburl ɪŋ]
The act of winning competitions with time to spare

Quality.

Although I'm not prepared to be that presumptuous. I'm building a wider fence, the one I'm sitting on is becoming uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To hear Andrew,  above video,  talk frankly about his thoughts on the class and race program is fantastic. Noting his caution on criticizing the race program clearly shows that it's been beaten into all team members not to do so. Absolutely ridiculous that senior staff of the teams have been threatened with fines etc for expressing their opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites