9 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

Stinger, I don't dispute who earned what but I'm trying to find where in the rules the number of races exceeds 13.

I've read the PDF of the rules and protocol on the AC website (article 29, I seem to recall) and searched the amendments but still can't find where it mentions -1 point or 14 races.

You have to win 7. A team can't start at +1 because winning just 6 doesn't meet the requirement;  so that's why (since Oracle earned the advantage) ETNZ starts at -1.

One little dig and you fall to pieces. Very Barker like. I get the feeling things are very tense across the ditch

50 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

QUERY REGARDING THE WINNER OF THE MATCH BASED ON THE POINTS GAINED

Here’s a question for Nav, or anyone who is familiar with the rules, and it’s one which has probably already been answered but despite searching I can’t find the answer.

It’s a question based on ETNZ going into the match with -1 point instead of Oracle going in with +1 point (the distinction is important, because the protocol says that the first team to reach 7 points wins the match). I’m also assuming that there are 13 scheduled races maximum.

From my reading of the protocol, and some of the amendments, I can’t see where the -1 point is mentioned, but I’m assuming it’s correct so here goes:

Imagine if we win the first three races, but from then on Oracle wins one and then we win one. At the end of race 11 ETNZ would have 6 points (7 wins, but still only 6 points) and Oracle would have 4. If Oracle win the next two races then the series is tied at 6 all after 13 races, so how is the match decided?

Note that if Oracle went into the match with +1 point then the problem does not arise. By the way, I was never happy with any team going into the match with any points and I still wouldn't agree with it even if it was ETNZ that had an advantage.

^^ nav is a bit late.

Stingray, it is not about the ACWS but about the results in the Qualifiers

29.1.b of the Prot:

if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the
Match, the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers
shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point; Refer
amendment 6.6.1

22 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Oracle earned that point when ETNZ had exactly as much opportunity to instead win it. 

The rules in that sense were and are a perfectly level field. 

Based on several  " authorities " here ET chose to not use their good parts for fear of OR copying them so they voluntarily gave up their chance to win the series and therefor the point . 

Will it make a differance , who knows ? 

3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ nav is a bit late.

Stingray, it is not about the ACWS but about the results in the Qualifiers

29.1.b of the Prot:

if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the
Match, the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers
shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point; Refer
amendment 6.6.1

Your're right. The ACWS points mattered only as tiebreakers in the Qualifiers. Which as it turned out did happen since ETNZ and OR both finished the Qualifiers at iirc 7 wins each.

8 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

You have to win 7. A team can't start at +1 because winning just 6 doesn't meet the requirement;  so that's why (since Oracle earned the advantage) ETNZ starts at -1.

Which shows just how stupid the wording of the rules is.

I'm a race official and I would never set up a points system like this. It seems the bonus point idea was introduced without any thought about the impact on the series.

It should have been worded to be a point for each race, first to seven points win. Oracle start with 1 bonus point. Easy. How did they manage to fuck this up???

I understand why we start on -1, that doesn't make it any less retarded

When Defender and Challenger are to race for the Cup, either party gets to inspect the Compliance (Rule Measurement) of either party ~ was this the case in all the lead-up series (events) : doesn't one of the participating parties have a known (as recorded) propensity to not be compliant ? The one point advantage that Oracle goes into the final round maybe Questionable should NZ not been given a means to verify Compliance, even at this late stage.

Burling Redux:

Yeah well for ourselves we give full credit to ourselves for building a team of ourselves that deserve full credit. We're very excited.

4 minutes ago, meanermachine said:

I'm a race official and I would never set up a points system like this. It seems the bonus point idea was introduced without any thought about the impact on the series.

It should have been worded to be a point for each race, first to seven points win. Oracle start with 1 bonus point. Easy. How did they manage to fuck this up???

Yes, it's a bit convoluted to explain.

The scenario's odds are just bit easier on the team behind though; ratio wise it is 8/7 compared to 7/6.

1 hour ago, DT Wanderer said:

Not very difficult when your country only has 2 passions

Two passions? Rugby and sailing are not even at the top of a long list of sports kiwis excel at. 

otusa don't even have an Americant skipper FFS. 

31 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Oracle earned that point when ETNZ had exactly as much opportunity to instead win it. 

Agreed.

But having that set of rules that could have affected qualifiers results then have had an impact on th AC35 match are twaddle. 

1 minute ago, ~Stingray~ said:

The scenario is a bit easier on the team behind, though; ratio wise. 7/8 compared to 6/7.

I think the issue is it's not hard to explain (I can easily mathematically understand it :) ), it's just dumb.  Imagine Federer going into Wimbledon with half a set advantage before the start of the final, because he did well at Queens.....

38 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Not quite when you look closely. OR knew that the lead-up series results would be significantly affected by sailor availability in some teams - but not for OR. Burling and co were absent for months across the Olympics.. This was no mistake or piece of luck, OR knew there would drains on talent which would benefit them in the lead-up and that point they had ended up impacting the order of finishers (yes yes, I know it would have been a dead heat with the point being the tiebreaker but the way teams approached the round robbin would have been different too had it been different going in).

Similarly, OR had the massive advantage of being able to throw anything at the races vs the tougher teams knowing that they had weeks to resolve any damage to any part of the boat. This also left the playing field not quite as level as it might appear.

That said, everyone knows this going in and you choose to compete under those rules. Anyone who dislikes them can not enter the AC.

1 minute ago, Nutta said:

Agreed.

But having that set of rules that could have affected qualifiers results then have had an impact on th AC35 match are twaddle. 

It is in fact agreed by most, that for the defender to be in the RR was too much. When added to the other self serving advantages the defender stacked for itself, the advantages push the balance from unfair to a farse. 

Its therefore official. Oracle are a bunch of cheats. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Two passions? Rugby and sailing are not even at the top of a long list of sports kiwis excel at. 

ETNZ doesn't even have a NZ skipper :lol:

20 minutes ago, E63sccb said:

not trolling so is it wining/earning 7 points or reach 7 points.. sorry but English is my nth language....

yes, forget how many wins, a team needs 7 points.

Thanks TC, Stinger, MeanerMachine, etc. for the replies.

From what I can see from these responses it would appear that we could have a total of 14 races to decide a winner, all because one team start with a -1 point. I'm sure the sponsors would love to see this - they would get maximum bang for their buckazoids (ha ha, showing my age here - some of you will recognize the term)!

I do understand that the first team to reach 7 POINTS wins the match, rather than the first team to win 7 RACES.

I still think no team should go into the match with any point advantage/disadvantage.

30 minutes ago, E63sccb said:

not trolling so is it wining/earning 7 points or reach 7 points.. sorry but English is my nth language....

You're not the only one - the drafters of the protocol also struggled with the English language.  It is a really clumsy document throughout but essentially the bonus point Oracle earned by winning the Qualifiers has been applied as a "penalty" to ETNZ who start on -1.  That's pretty much the only interpretation I can think of that works under 29.1(c) which says the winner is the first team to score 7 points after applying any penalties.  The problem is the clause which gives rise to the -1 doesn't actually use the word penalty and the points section uses score rather than reach (this sloppy drafting is a consistent issue throughout the protocol).  It is a really stupid construct and ACEA deserve to be called out on it if it ever gets to the point where it matters.

Let's not forget that Oracle having their second boat Japan stooges meant they were basically guaranteed 2 wins in the qualifying series barring gear failure.

Carrying a point through is a farce. 

Imagine for a  moment that Artemis had made the final... they would have started on -1 to Oracle even though they beat Oracle 2-0 in qualifying!

Let's not forget that Oracle having their second boat Japan stooges meant they were basically guaranteed 2 wins in the qualifying series barring gear failure.

Carrying a point through is a farce. 

Imagine for a  moment that Artemis had made the final... they would have started on -1 to Oracle even though they beat Oracle 2-0 in qualifying!

...setting rules to suit themselves, all the underhand carry- on last time.

Meh, there is a saying: the bigger they are, the harder they fall, and I don't think Peter, Blair, Glen or any of the rest of the crew came here to poodle around.

"Its the last race result that matters " Damn right. Bring it on.

How are the nerves guys, 14 hours til the start of redemption for etnz, bring it home boys 

1 hour ago, ~Stingray~ said:

The scenario's odds are just bit easier on the team behind though; ratio wise it is 8/7 compared to 7/6.

I will be the first one to stand up and point the finger if lazza or russ try to pull the same shit the erne$to wanted to do...like two defender boats to the challengers one or the defender racing in the challengers selection series....

Heard severel times here by the somewhat believable stingray before he became the official la$$a/ru$$ knob polisher $pinbot..

5 hours ago, Bilgerat99 said:

Lots of good speculation about what may happen if ETNZ wins.  I'm definitely rooting for them.  But what if they don't?  It sounded like they almost closed up shop in 2013.  What about this time around?  Would they come back for more in a couple years?  I think if they did, Dalton would definitely be out.  Perhaps a completely different incarnation of a NZ challenge?  One one hand, too much experience and depth there to NOT try... but on the other hand, four consecutive losses (2003, 2007, 2013, 2017)

I call bullshit on that,  and on the Sting's unpleasant assertion that Dalts is in it for the money.  That's plain slimy.

You're not only a mere newbie but you also haven't identified your country of origin. You can't be a Kiwi, that's for sure.

First of all ETNZ, Team NZ or whatever you call it, won't depart the America's Cup scene.

And if Dalts walks it won't be because he was pushed.  It will because he ultimately tired of pushing for recognition for an exceptional team ... tired of drumming up support, tired of rattling the tin cup with sponsors and supporters.   Not that i think it likely that will happen.

15 minutes ago, Costro said:

I believe the preferred term is knob goblin. 

I believe that I don't give a fuck what you believe...

So...knob polisher he is....

4 hours ago, maxmini said:

Kevin certainly has a much more poised and professional approach which is appreciated in the boardrooms of the world . 

As for Grant , I thought he said he was quitting after the great AC 34 debacle ? 

For the record, I'm pretty happy he stayed on, Max.

For sure Shoebie is a smooth operator, but Grant is THE bag man. He'd be hard to replace.

2 hours ago, DT Wanderer said:

One little dig and you fall to pieces. Very Barker like. I get the feeling things are very tense across the ditch

Five or six posts with zero, zilch, nada, about the current thread.  Not only that but the initial story is a six-year-old relic from an Aussie-owned newspaper that went nowhere. Dead easy to put you on ignore, sport.  You're a waste of space.

3 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Your're right. The ACWS points mattered only as tiebreakers in the Qualifiers. Which as it turned out did happen since ETNZ and OR both finished the Qualifiers at iirc 7 wins each.

The ACWS points were more than tiebreakers. If ETNZ had've had one win more than OTUSA in the round robins then the latter still would've finished ahead. The ACWS point would've put them tied on points, and then finishing ahead of ETNZ in the ACWS would've given them the tiebreaker.

3 hours ago, meanermachine said:

It originally was that the team would start on +1, and then they changed it to the other team starting on -1. I think the explanation is pretty obvious: having a team start on -1 guarantees that they'll need at least four days of racing, which means at least four days of broadcasting and four days of glad-handing rich people and four days of opening the village to paying customers. If a team started on +1 point they could potentially finish the whole thing in three days.

2 hours ago, ezyb said:

You're not the only one - the drafters of the protocol also struggled with the English language.  It is a really clumsy document throughout but essentially the bonus point Oracle earned by winning the Qualifiers has been applied as a "penalty" to ETNZ who start on -1.  That's pretty much the only interpretation I can think of that works under 29.1(c) which says the winner is the first team to score 7 points after applying any penalties.  The problem is the clause which gives rise to the -1 doesn't actually use the word penalty and the points section uses score rather than reach (this sloppy drafting is a consistent issue throughout the protocol).  It is a really stupid construct and ACEA deserve to be called out on it if it ever gets to the point where it matters.

Try protocol section 11.1 (f), particularly parts (iv) and (v) for discussion of other penalties that might impact a team's score.

Agree about some of the inconsistencies. I think if you replace the words 'first Competitor to score at least seven' with 'first Competitor to reach a score of seven' then it'd be fine.

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

Don't forget sheep. Pretty sure that's a third passion. 

Anything cute and fuzzy will do to be fair.

You ain't felt loving till you've felt a chinchilla :P

Funny how this place changes from day to day. Yesterday It was all pretty good. Comments on coolade etc. 

Today it's anarchy. 

It is what it says on the tin. 

There's some proper ignorant idiots today. To them I say, shoo. 

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Anything cute and fuzzy will do to be fair.

You ain't felt loving till you've felt a chinchilla :P

Or a warm chubby solo mum from Henderson. One word, capacity. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Or a warm chubby solo mum from Henderson. One word, capacity. 

Two words.  Capacity AND motivated. 

1 hour ago, KiwiJoker said:

I call bullshit on that,  and on the Sting's unpleasant assertion that Dalts is in it for the money.  That's plain slimy.

You're not only a mere newbie but you also haven't identified your country of origin. You can't be a Kiwi, that's for sure.

First of all ETNZ, Team NZ or whatever you call it, won't depart the America's Cup scene.

And if Dalts walks it won't be because he was pushed.  It will because he ultimately tired of pushing for recognition for an exceptional team ... tired of drumming up support, tired of rattling the tin cup with sponsors and supporters.   Not that i think it likely that will happen.

Spot on. Dalton is not in it for the money. If he was,  he'd be running some other team, some other place. Only fools who don't know the man call smack talk on him. He's a bit old school, and if you're a soft-cock politically correct type he'll smell it and hit you so hard there'll be bones in ya poo. 

He's a smart guy who's prepared others to take over. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Spot on. Dalton is not in it for the money. If he was,  he'd be running some other team, some other place. Only fools who don't know the man call smack talk on him. He's a bit old school, and if you're a soft-cock politically correct type he'll smell it and hit you so hard there'll be bones in ya poo. 

He's a smart guy who's prepared others to take over. 

+1

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Two words.  Capacity AND motivated. 

I'm no oil painting. In fact,  a few weeks ago I was in a middling bar and a woman 20 years my junior was close by and made eye contact. I politely said hello. She shook her head and said, "Ew, no".

I can go to Henderson on a Tuesday night in winter and go bare back in the carpark with any one of those Tracy's. 

Gotta love being 40+

4 hours ago, DT Wanderer said:

AC conspiracy theories and bashing the missus after the All Blacks lose. Luckily they've ditched their choker status, time for the sailing team to follow!

Anybody else report this moron? 

DT. This is a place where calling someone a cunt is acceptable. What you said above is downright unacceptable. 

I'm recommending two weeks stand down for you. 

2 hours ago, tech said:

...setting rules to suit themselves, all the underhand carry- on last time.

Meh, there is a saying: the bigger they are, the harder they fall, and I don't think Peter, Blair, Glen or any of the rest of the crew came here to poodle around.

"Its the last race result that matters " Damn right. Bring it on.

The corollary is lose the first battle and your war is uphill with a defender already on higher ground*. 

So bring it on. 

*Not to be interpreted in a moral sense. 

10 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

I'm no oil painting. In fact,  a few weeks ago I was in a middling bar and a woman 20 years my junior was close by and made eye contact. I politely said hello. She shook her head and said, "Ew, no".

I can go to Henderson on a Tuesday night in winter and go bare back in the carpark with any one of those Tracy's. 

Gotta love being 40+

Have you not heard of Tinder?

At least you have more than 5 to choose from in the big smoke.

I put 10 bucks on a kiwi clean sweep today. Plus 10 on 7-6 just in case.

Has anyone in NZ contacted the alternative commentary collective about covering the cup? Only 1 more sleep. 

^ I have requested said commentary. Promised them a pallet if they get PJ Montgomery with them, so everyone might have to chip in. 

Quite a few broom shots in that last video from the kiwis. I love that we are giving the mind jobs  even harder than we are getting this time. Haha

The OR boys seem to have lost their touch. 

9 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Have you not heard of Tinder?

At least you have more than 5 to choose from in the big smoke.

I put 10 bucks on a kiwi clean sweep today. Plus 10 on 7-6 just in case.

Has anyone in NZ contacted the alternative commentary collective about covering the cup? Only 1 more sleep. 

Soon after the boat was released to the public and all had a chance to digest the cyclors I did put $200 at 5-1 for the win to ETNZ of the Americas cup. Have to enjoy innovation and lateral thinking..... Release the Cup!!!

Did anyone else notice the Peter Lester smirk at the beginning of today's video posting? The look of a man who definitely knows something.....

8 minutes ago, Release the Cup said:

Did anyone else notice the Peter Lester smirk at the beginning of today's video posting? The look of a man who definitely knows something.....

Reakons OR is possibly the quicker boat.

9 minutes ago, Release the Cup said:

For sure. 

2 hours ago, DevsNzL said:

How are the nerves guys, 14 hours til the start of redemption for etnz, bring it home boys 

Feeling surprisingly serene actually. 

Even though we won't know for sure till tomorrow I think I would be more nervous  than I am if Orifice was my team.

Orifice could of course come out and smash us but we seem to have a number of features that Orifice cannot reasonably replicate.

Cyclors, wing control, lower aero. Plus their boards seem differentto the rest whilst Orifice boards seem quite similar. 

I agree. I'd be far more nervous as an OR supporter. Even so, every time I think of tomorrow morning my heart starts pumping!

Seeing Pete Lester with that serene look makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. We know he is getting some serious inside access. What is it you know Pete??????

Pretty sure I remember Lester and Tasker creaming their pants in the last cup as they thought ETNZ was going to win.

Next minute...

He may know something about what ETNZ have up their sleeves, but he certainly doesn't know what Oracle has!

3 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

Pretty sure I remember Lester and Tasker creaming their pants in the last cup as they thought ETNZ was going to win.

Next minute...

He may know something about what ETNZ have up their sleeves, but he certainly doesn't know what Oracle has!

You mean

Nek minute

**ONTOIT** that's a pretty sad joke. 

TBH I love beating the Aussies but for international rugby to be strong, Australian rugby needs to be strong.

Not good news at all.

1 minute ago, Yo....v said:

You mean

Nek minute

100. But wasn't sure non-Kiwis would get the reference. 

Just now, mrdobalina said:

^ that's a pretty sad joke. 

TBH I love beating the Aussies but for international rugby to be strong, Australian rugby needs to be strong.

Not good news at all.

Nothing wrong with Scotland becoming strong...Scotland looked really good, Australia looked like a bunch of muppets...

1 minute ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Nothing wrong with Scotland becoming strong...Scotland looked really good, Australia looked like a bunch of muppets...

Yes of course, but international rugby would be even stronger if ALL the teams were constantly improving. Australia sadly is not in this category. 

When oracle  find out their  race boat's  fuckin pig , it would be very easy to total it by slamming  a race mark or perhaps  dropping  it from the crane. 

But then the usa  made bows for  the second  boat  had to be launched  and used prior ?.... tel me if I've got that wrong 

Or is it just  the  hulls but not including bows in that  ruling  ..???

Yo

Scotland without all the Lions players it shed.

Anyone feel sorry for the state of Aussie rugby? thought so

15 minutes ago, Yo....v said:

When oracle  find out their  race boat's  fuckin pig , it would be very easy to total it by slamming  a race mark or perhaps  dropping  it from the crane. 

But then the usa  made bows for  the second  boat  had to be launched  and used prior ?.... tel me if I've got that wrong 

Yo

I am of the belief that they had to launch a 2nd boat either before or just after the Qualifiers so don't think they be able to use another boat

Just now, DevsNzL said:

I am of the belief that they had to launch a 2nd boat either before or just after the Qualifiers so don't think they be able to use another boat

The Japan  boat  was launched in  that  time  frame  .. But  not  the usa  made  bows that  are now thought  to be attached  to Japan boat  .. there fore  the  new  Japan boat  as a whole  would not  be compliant 

Here's a thought - can ETNZ appeal to a higher authority about the lost of one point prior to the AC Match?

Considering that the LV Cup is a separate event to establish a challenger to the AC Cup holder can they legitimately be penalised in the AC for no reason!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

Here's a thought - can ETNZ appeal to a higher authority about the lost of one point prior to the AC Match?

Considering that the LV Cup is a separate event to establish a challenger to the AC Cup holder can they legitimately be penalised in the AC for no reason!!!!!

I wouldn't bother about it, ETNZ don't seem to be that bothered.  They just seem to be eager to bring the Cup home.

A mixture of quiet confidence & absolute excitement here. Plan on wearing the heart rate monitor to see how I fare...let's hope I don't exceed the cyclors! 

Am a bit nervous that we'll smash them tomorrow, causing them to hit the panic button and consider destroying our boat, knowing they have a spare...and we don't. Can't see them looking to bust out Boat 2 otherwise - surely Boat 1 is their #1, given all the time they've spent in/on it??

1 hour ago, Yo....v said:

Yo

So if their current boat is a pig, their Frankenboat would be fast Why? 

Same wing, foils, rudders and one design hulls. Hmmmmmm. 

9 minutes ago, jaysper said:

So if their current boat is a pig, their Frankenboat would be fast Why? 

Same wing, foils, rudders and one design hulls. Hmmmmmm. 

Exactly  Why.?

You don't  get  it

Edited by Yo....v
Edit.. hmmmmmm

From Veitchy:

Here's my column guys: Jimmy Spithill a genius at playing the media.. also, can we cut the bullshit that All Black fans are arrogant. Such a boring argument! All Blacks

Jimmy Spithill - The Muhammad Ali of Sailing.

I received this text during the week from a bloke in Bermuda, who let’s just say, is as close to the action as it comes.

“Tony, don’t take seriously anything Jimmy Spithill says. It is done purely to wind up the New Zealand media at home. The more you report it, the more he will say.”

I get it, Jimmy Spithill is the Stephen Jones (that bullish Welsh rugby journo we can’t stand) of the sailing world.

Sailing coach Ray Davies was telling me, they just roll their eyes when the Spithill mouthpiece goes into over drive.

Here’s the thing though, I actually like and loathe Spithill all at the same time.

He is the Master of putting the knife in, turning it, and then digging it in even deeper.

Post the comeback of all comebacks in San Francisco, Spithill was unbearable.

Even when some dared question how Oracle, suddenly became a rocket ship, Spithill’s comeback was top shelf.

“that is an insult to those that made the sandwiches for this team, the families who gave up so much to allow this team of champions to produce one of the greatest comebacks in sport.”

The point is this, you cannot rattle the cage of Spithill. He’s that good, he has answer for everything and generally those answers come with messages designed to unsettle his opposition.

I reckon if you let him run for Prime Minister of Australia, he’d do one heck of a job.

Take away the fact he’s a cocky Aussie, take away the notion that he broke our collective hearts four years ago, would the America’s Cup be as much fun without Spithill mouthing off.

I take on board what the texter was saying to me, but it’s bloody hard to ignore the Spithill jibes.

In a world of sport, where so many athletes have had their personalities drained out of them, by media minders and the corporate image makers, the Oracle skipper is a walking, talking headline.

Could I dare suggest he ranks alongside the likes of Muhammad Ali, as someone who can win with words.

So, while the next couple of weeks will be a painful experience if Oracle are as formidable as we expect them to be - just remember beating Oracle, with Spithill at the helm, will be that much sweeter.

"Take away the fact he’s a cocky Aussie, take away the notion that he broke our collective hearts four years ago, would the America’s Cup be as much fun without Spithill mouthing off."

Take all that away and he's just an empty bag o air. Ya, the cup was fine with Nath and PB throwing civilised barbs.

Hope to see yur back Jimmmy

19 minutes ago, barfy said:

"Take away the fact he’s a cocky Aussie, take away the notion that he broke our collective hearts four years ago, would the America’s Cup be as much fun without Spithill mouthing off."

Take all that away and he's just an empty bag o air. Ya, the cup was fine with Nath and PB throwing civilised barbs.

Hope to see yur back Jimmmy

In the greater scheme of things Spithill brings nothing to sailing. Never met a kid in sailing who wants to be him. Plenty want to be just like PB or NO, even TS... but not like Jimmy.  He's the Swap Card you just can't give away.

12 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

KS would likely be as or more effective at re-securing strong sponsorship.

Now you're just speculating out of your arse as usual.

Interesting presser. Jimmy seems to be trying to tone down and dial back the cock factor. Lovely wee dig there from PB about representing the country he grew up in. 

I was pretty intrigued by repeated references to being significantly younger than Jimmy, especially after Jimmy made the weird suggestion they are a younger team in earlier presser.

Kevin is the 2IC of the team. We ain't really seen GD doing any press on site. This is Grants last cup. Kevin is taking over. Kevin has been going to the named sponsors meetings for years with Grant for this very reason. 

Good, a well managed transfer is an important step for ETNZ :)

That Challengers had any right to out-compete each other, forcing the Defender to face the best of them, is also 'nonsense.'

Nonsense? Nonsense!!! This is the essence of the Americas Cup. Its a Challenge Cup, thats how they work.

No, they knew full well what impact on the series they were introducing: If Oracle wins the RRs then they get an advantage, if a Challenger wins then there is only a 1 in 4 chance that the advantage carries through to the Match.

The clunky cludgy wording just reinforces that its a completely ridiculous tilting of the rules

The BB article was good, pleased to see him come round to his senses after defending Ernievision.

Seem to recall he came out pro ETNZ last time too?

Funny, I really laugh about not wanting to be Jimmy. Are you serious he's having a ball. You Kiwis have so many rules around your champs, win humbly. WTF. You know what you guys are fucking great sailors whether Volvo Ocean Race or a fucking Opti but your sailors are fucking dull robots. America's Cup is a circus and show, give a little bit of show. Jimmy is saving the pressers. Even your own journalists can't stand asking questions of PB. 

1 hour ago, starrchallenge said:

Funny, I really laugh about not wanting to be Jimmy. Are you serious he's having a ball. You Kiwis have so many rules around your champs, win humbly. WTF. You know what you guys are fucking great sailors whether Volvo Ocean Race or a fucking Opti but your sailors are fucking dull robots. America's Cup is a circus and show, give a little bit of show. Jimmy is saving the pressers. Even your own journalists can't stand asking questions of PB. 

Humility is just the Kiwi way, and it's quite deeply ingrained. Probably from our Protestant roots. We'll leave the showy stuff to you guys.

6 hours ago, Yo....v said:

Yo

6 hours ago, DevsNzL said:

The rules said they couldn't launch them until 30 days before the start of the round robins. There are no rules apart from that. They could keep them in the shed and not launch until the day they need them, if that's what they want to do.

Well oracle has the resources. Did they buy back their STJ boat? May have always been in the contract... who knows. If they have a spare boat who cares... is the #1 fast enough to beat ETNZ...

13 hours ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Correct. Don't forget that Artemis, Soft Bank, and ETNZ imported their skippers as well. ;)

Alright, here's a yarn about BB that nobody has heard...

After the last cup, I heard he tried to push the government to install him as board chair or team principal. He got his brother to do the talking so as to retain plausible deniability.

So, he may be pro ETNZ but he's still got that streak that wants the power and prestige through underhanded means.

Only a few hours to go now, luckily I've had a big night on the strong craft beers so I'm surprisingly serene for someone who's a rabid AC fiend! 

Wtf Pete is as kiwi as kiwis come...ashby well he is pretty close...

Ashby is skipper.

3 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Wtf Pete is as kiwi as kiwis come...ashby well he is pretty close...

Sure, but he's not the skipper

Well haha.. ETNZ had to get the best multihull skipper from OZ. Yes the best. But on the day... he is controlling the wing. Kiwis are driving, calling tactics and managing the foils ...

shit compared to ORAUS where we are skippering and calling tactics... and pedalling downwind... 

so we're saying no matter who wins .. aussies have won? Tell me now...

46 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Well haha.. ETNZ had to get the best multihull skipper from OZ. Yes the best. But on the day... he is controlling the wing. Kiwis are driving, calling tactics and managing the foils ...

shit compared to ORAUS where we are skippering and calling tactics... and pedalling downwind... 

so we're saying no matter who wins .. aussies have won? Tell me now...

Those are the rules the cheats put in place ,   using the rule is better than than cheating for advantage. .....

know the game play the game 

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Even your own journalists can't stand asking questions of PB. 

Rather it is WE can't stand the muppet jorno's asking questions on a sport they know fuck all about

• Gladwell - Dickhead of the 1st water
  • The idiots from NZ over there (Tasker & his oppo excluded)
  • And where did they find those alleged "female" reporters? Not knocking females here there are FAR BETTER woman jornoi's around than the pathetic showing we have seen thus far.......

Fuck-em ..... Let the sailing do the talking and the chips fall where they may......

Wind out of Pearl island is .... 2 min average <10k

2 min max 13k ...

Nice day for a sail. Everyone is ready !

Checco Bruni commenting on Italian TV: ETNZ's lower windward shroud is slack - as is OR's. The idea is to induce platform twist and therefore slightly higher stabilizer AoA. Just a detail, but Sail-World gives the background of the contradictory rule interpretation and yet another collusion by the "London" teams

Again Bruni: according to AR"s spies, ETNZ has not modified its foils since their arrival in BDA