19 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

What in the blue Moses was he thinking! .. we'll just doddle off this way, grab a beer, wander around say hi to the peddlers, his moment of peace only interrupted by "Grab the wheel pete, grab the wheel please.",oh right the sail boat race! lol

Thats the problem when you have an engineer driving, something goes wrong under the hood and he has to go take a gander!

On 15/06/2017 at 10:11 PM, weta27 said:

35320423675_e26148af5d_o.jpg

Looks like a small camera, or sensor?

Black transoms with no cameras today. I'm guessing they were testing rudders which aligns with something Nathan O said this morning. 

Today's portion of "analytics":

1. Tactics: median TWS for NZL - 8.7kn, USA - 8.5kn.
  2. Tacking: average VMG at TWA<30deg: NZL-13.8, USA- 13.13
  3. Gibing: average VMG at TWA>160deg: NZL - 23.86, USA - 17.86

17JUN.png

17JUN-dww.png

17JUN-polar nf.png

17JUN-polar perf.png

17JUN-upw.png

46 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

What in the blue Moses was he thinking! .. we'll just doddle off this way, grab a beer, wander around say hi to the peddlers, his moment of peace only interrupted by "Grab the wheel pete, grab the wheel please.",oh right the sail boat race! lol

Incredible.  Did he think he'd finished?  Or daydreaming?!  

10 hours ago, monosailor said:

Notice in ETNZ video today they are sweeping up sand, must have removed the sandbags ready for today?

Could they be signalling a clean sweep?

56 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

It really does look like he thought he'd crossed the finishing line, even in the way he dumped the boat. Or was that Tuke who also thought they'd finished? Wow, I'm pretty sure my heart rate was higher than PB's for a few moments there.

Here's hoping the wind stays in that range (but maybe a little less switchy) for tomorrow's racing.

1 hour ago, Boybland said:

On top of that PB new it instinctively, you can clearly hear on the audio the suprise in his voice that Oracle had already gone back for the line.

+1 "really early"

41 minutes ago, Cassidy said:

It really does look like he thought he'd crossed the finishing line, even in the way he dumped the boat. Or was that Tuke who also thought they'd finished? 

Amazing, nice grab @Barnyb

1 hour ago, floater said:

Mirrors JS comment in presser as well: bad jibe not from low oil pressure, but "lost" a rudder. 

That's what Checco Bruni said immediately, ventilated rudders. Not clear to me how this happens, though - don't think they raised the stabilizers out of the water

1 minute ago, Xlot said:

That's what Checco Bruni said immediately, ventilated rudders. Not clear to me how this happens, though - don't think they raised the elevators out of the water

can they ventilate if rapidly moved to an extreme angle? 

1 minute ago, Xlot said:

That's what Checco Bruni said immediately, ventilated rudders. Not clear to me how this happens, though - don't think they raised the elevators out of the water

Aerated water from ETNZ's wash?

Still I heard something that I'm pretty sure was a reference to hydo.

Will have to watch it again sometime today. 

2 hours ago, Matt17 said:

Oh the irony! Oracle, one of the world's biggest software companies, bankrolls a boat that has software problems within minutes of starting. Nice own goal Oracle!!

Um, that's typical of every piece of software Oracle ever created.

Plenty of mistakes but I'm a happy camper. Can't wait for JS to admit tomorrow that ETNZ is faster in this air.

Kia hua ko te pai;
(Let goodness) flourish,

17 minutes ago, Xlot said:

It's hard to tell from the overhead footage, but certainly possible, given that they were trying to turn right across ETNZ's wash

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-23h37m05s206.thumb.jpg.496f0f88986c4ff7b66e6a2346ba0523.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-23h37m10s446.thumb.jpg.0836ad8ab6f69a2caf442b6f46999469.jpg

25 minutes ago, generative.design said:

It's hard to tell from the overhead footage, but certainly possible, given that they were trying to turn right across ETNZ's wash

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-23h37m05s206.thumb.jpg.496f0f88986c4ff7b66e6a2346ba0523.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-23h37m10s446.thumb.jpg.0836ad8ab6f69a2caf442b6f46999469.jpg

Looks very panic ridden helm turn on Oracle, compare to ETNZ's wake, way too savage ... no wonder they crashed and burned. Heavy handed and desperate helmsman?

57 minutes ago, EssjaywhyNZ said:

^ a most pleasant illustration

To quote Sir Van, "What's wrong with this picture?"

30 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

Looks very panic ridden helm turn on Oracle, compare to ETNZ's wake, way too savage ... no wonder they crashed and burned. Heavy handed and desperate helmsman?

Yeah - I think you're onto it.  and look at the speed diff - Jimmy's rushed turn slowed them too much too. 

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Aerated water from ETNZ's wash?

Still I heard something that I'm pretty sure was a reference to hydo.

Will have to watch it again sometime today. 

There looked to be a timing issue with the boards. They then burnt up all the hydro and had to wait for the grinders, (so last cup) to pump up so they could go on to lose. 

I'm thinking of starting a Give A Little page for the OTUSA lads. No one will donate, but it'll be a laugh. 

40 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

Obviously they need to fit Pirellis. 

40 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

As I posted in the race thread... look at Oracle's jib. It's on the wrong side. The wing has popped through but is still sheeted in on the windward side. The gib is doing nothing there except taking away 50% of the power of the wing. No matter if they'd falled off their foil or not they had just cost themselves 10+ seconds of comparative acceleration with that error.

5 minutes ago, TN_Kiwi said:

Just try to imagine the BS we'd be hearing from Jimmy and the US-oriented media tonight if it was 1 race each today.

I notice that our little wankbot A4E is conspicuous in his absence today. ..

14 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Word around BDA is that sadly, Jimmy's turned to drugs and whores. That's why his performance was lacking, he's unshaven and has bags under his eyes. 

Bag of yellow cake Jim? 

You heard that as well!

2 minutes ago, kenergy said:

be patient - he'll show up soon, transformed into a rabid ETNZ fan.

18 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Yeah, I see he is busy telling Kiwis to get out of the OTUSA thread. Please don't talk about him as he may come back.

56 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

There looked to be a timing issue with the boards. They then burnt up all the hydro and had to wait for the grinders, (so last cup) to pump up so they could go on to lose. 

I'm thinking of starting a Give A Little page for the OTUSA lads. No one will donate, but it'll be a laugh. 

Just rewatched now. When they fucked that gybe, the OR grinders were all just sitting there doing SFA.

Not the actions of a team desperate to rebuild the hydro pressure? Something else happened there? They started grinding again a bit later...

4 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Just rewatched now. When they fucked that gybe, the OR grinders were all just sitting there doing SFA.

Not the actions of a team desperate to rebuild the hydro pressure? Something else happened there? They started grinding again a bit later...

They gave up!

13 minutes ago, Nutta said:

There were several mentions of 'oil' and 'hydro'. then someone complained about the helicopter again.

21 minutes ago, Nutta said:

The 'pressure' they ran out of was simply wind pressure, nothing to do with hydro pressure. The water turned to absolute glass, you can see it happen on replay.

1 hour ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Yeah its what I saw/heard too.

Jimmy deflecting so to avoid exposing the weakness? 

50 minutes ago, Swanno said:

Yeah, I see he is busy telling Kiwis to get out of the OTUSA thread. Please don't talk about him as he may come back.

You can't get rid of him that easily. His mum has grounded him so all he has to do all day is try to talk tough here.

I reckon if etnz make it to match point he will change his picture to etnz and claim he picked them as eventual winners all along.

LOL!

1 hour ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Word around BDA is that sadly, Jimmy's turned to drugs and whores. That's why his performance was lacking, he's unshaven and has bags under his eyes. 

Bag of yellow cake Jim? 

You know who Jimmy is giving it to right? Bend over Deano!

Feel sorry for Dean actually. 

maybe TAD was always more important than "technical, rules based" MR skills, given the massive speed diff between nailing it and not (approach)

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Obviously they need to fit Pirellis. 

They'll be installing a couple of Yanmars tonight...:lol:

Just now, Offshore 1 said:

Just re watched the last gate mess in race one. Looked to me like PB thought they had finished - was about to congratulate one of the grinders before someone called him over!

Jeeezus. He still thinks he's in a bloody Olympics fleet race. CONCENTRATE, boy!

47 minutes ago, pipo said:

so impressed with the pre-starts!!!

relieved

why did I ever have concerns.....

Check back in with us all after tomorrow.

I've never known Jimmy to acquiesce. He's not called Pit Bull for nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Offshore 1 said:

Just re watched the last gate mess in race one. Looked to me like PB thought they had finished - was about to congratulate one of the grinders before someone called him over!

Agree, looked a bit thick there and not for the first time when crossing a last bottom gate.

Curious.

Let's face it. The cup would never have left NZ if it weren't for Coutts and co selling out. USA couldn't get close to NZ. What we are seeing so far is their design ingenuity and ability to make fast boats. The cup belongs in NZ and a richly funded all star Oracle team even with Boeing helping couldn't design a faster boat. They were smoked today in the light nobody will get near the Kiwis. The cup is headed to where it belongs and this is great for the sport as I don't see any of the other challengers up to it when Oracle folds its sailing operations. Let's hope this time they put a nationality clause in and keep it a country against country race.

13 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Let's face it. The cup would never have left NZ if it weren't for Coutts and co selling out. USA couldn't get close to NZ. What we are seeing so far is their design ingenuity and ability to make fast boats. The cup belongs in NZ and a richly funded all star Oracle team even with Boeing helping couldn't design a faster boat. They were smoked today in the light nobody will get near the Kiwis. The cup is headed to where it belongs and this is great for the sport as I don't see any of the other challengers up to it when Oracle folds its sailing operations. Let's hope this time they put a nationality clause in and keep it a country against country race.

+1

yep a hell of a lot of chicken counting going on here!! But where is Sailing Anarchy and Alinghi4eva to level it out? One is obviously trying to find a new team to support(may be try for Alinghi) and the other is sitting at home with mummy craddling him to her wriggly tits in Wellington.

47 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Agree, looked a bit thick there and not for the first time when crossing a last bottom gate.

Curious.

Yes a disturbing tendency (hopefully as opposed to a trend) to look to finish the race a leg early. 

Damm skiff sailors sail fast and perhaps "finish" a little early ..... :)

17 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yup, the dicks have started swinging. 

Perhaps but from what I saw today what other conclusion could you make? LOL

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Perhaps but from what I saw today what other conclusion could you make? LOL

Today was about superior tactics, handling and yes it would seem to some extent boat speed.

That said, we were truly awful in small patches and got away with it only cos Orifice were worse.

In both races we nearly flushed seemingly insurmountable leads.

I just finished watching race 1 again on virtual eye and it certainly does appear that etnz were faster upwind even when in similar patches of water. 

50 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that "the Cup belongs in NZ".

It actually" belongs" to Orifice and this is actually their second defence of the Poisoned Chalice.

Wussell the Wat and Co have revolutionised the event for the better end of.

What you witnessed today is simply a cracker contest on and off the water and ETNZ would not have come within a bulls roar of delivering such a wonderful spectacle.

I know it's heresy, but i'd kinda like to see ORUSA get to the first mark first in a race on Sunday, and then see if ETNZ can get by them and then extend away. Then I'd know Jimmy's toast.

4 minutes ago, TN_Kiwi said:

I know it's heresy, but i'd kinda like to see ORUSA get to the first mark first in a race on Sunday, and then see if ETNZ can get by them and then extend away. Then I'd know Jimmy's toast.

Be careful what you wish for. NZ conditions today. Might be OR conditions tomorrow.

Oh man, I just rewatched that race one finish. Pete straight up thought they were done. Thank god Ashby is around to keep things straight. Work on the coms guys!

19 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

It actually" belongs" to Orifice and this is actually their second defence of the Poisoned Chalice.

What you witnessed today is simply a cracker contest on and off the water and ETNZ would not have come within a bulls roar of delivering such a wonderful spectacle.

The cup belongs at the GGYC in SF,

until next weekend

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Check back in with us all after tomorrow.

I've never known Jimmy to acquiesce. He's not called Pit Bull for nothing. 

Jimmy has not looked well in the last 2-3 weeks: he looks pale and stressed over something - hope his health and his family's is ok. The last typical Jimmy we saw was the presser after they ETNZ to win the bonus point, when he took great delight in pointing out the mistakes ETNZ committed, and highlighted the "lack of communication" among Burling and his crew as a "disadvantage" compared to OR-Xerox. Even Slinsgby jumped on the bandwagon extolling the virtues of their afterguard, something which as late as yesterday yet another OR-Xerox "tactician" (Campbell somebody or other!!) was mouthing off about....they must be going through a boatload of Palmolive soap cleaning their faces right after Race2...

Memorable comment after the final RR race from Burling: "I think they were very surprised at how fast we were upwind!"

ya, ACduh liked edit[PB thinking he was done] it so much they posted it on their facebook with the caption "Light air favouring Emirates Team New Zealand, who are heading towards a 1-0 lead at the end of race day 1"

FB

6 minutes ago, MrTroy said:

That's just part 'n parcel of transforming from a Rooster to a Feather Duster.

Karma's a bitch and you guys are starting to piss her off...

Don't start counting those chickens just yet. OR having an extra point may have been speed testing, a risky game but I would not put anything past them. Hoping for the Kiwis to win and make the necessary changes but there is a long way yet.

30 minutes ago, R15 said:

Oh man, I just rewatched that race one finish. Pete straight up thought they were done. Thank god Ashby is around to keep things straight. Work on the coms guys!

To be fair to him, in most of the other races, that is the point at which the other team has given up and headed back to the start line for the next race.

20 minutes ago, Indio said:

Is this a post-race check by the Measurement Committee or in response to a CnC complaint by OR-Xerox??

Oh wow. Is this standard or something new? Did Oracle have someone check them out?

3 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

Now this.. this is just too cool.

if only we could get full race video 360's and be able to switch boats.

awesome - thanks innerVoid!

22 minutes ago, Indio said:

Is this a post-race check by the Measurement Committee or in response to a CnC complaint by OR-Xerox??

we can be sure that ORUSA will be waking up their lawyers - I hope Dalts is as ready as he says he is for the off-water battle that's surely coming.

2 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

Oh wow. Is this standard or something new? Did Oracle have someone check them out?

Looks new, and all the better for it. Probably a requirement following AC34..

48 minutes ago, ro! said:

Karma's a bitch and you guys are starting to piss her off...

Nothing we say here could upset the karma that OTUSA created last cup. 

Anyho, Karma's based on actions, not words. 

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

The Cup belongs where its heritage, tradition and prestige is respected. Not on some Island in the middle of nowhere that isn't even the home waters of the Club defending it. It belongs in a country which is passionate about sailing and sport in general, and where fairplay means something, and scores are settled on the water, not in court. 

2 minutes ago, sclarke said:

The Cup belongs where its heritage, tradition and prestige is respected. Not on some Island in the middle of nowhere that isn't even the home waters of the Club defending it. It belongs in a country which is passionate about sailing and sport in general, and where fairplay means something, and scores are settled on the water, not in court. 

Gold. I wonder if that's too many words for the back of a tee shirt...... 

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

What a load if bulldust. The only revolution Russell and Larry have given the cup is a socialist one. OD and petty rules, gag orders and getting the little bitches to sign an agreement that's worthless. 

That's not the AC. That's ego. 

Who put the AC on foils? Who had the balls to go foiling first on a 72 foot cat? That's right, TEAM NEW ZEALAND! 

There's been plenty of 'cracker contests' in the AC. Because you're a child, you don't remember. 

You're a stupid cunt. 

5 hours ago, Barnacle Bill said:

300th post. 

1 - 0

What a way to celebrate, eh? Onya, Bill.