6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

You can't make people work for you even if you pay them. That is the very definition of slavery in modern times.

Likewise you can't enforce unreasonable restraint of trade even if the other party signed a contract agreeing to it.

I wasn't talking about restraint of trade at all, nor forcing people to work for you. You can have an agreement in place in which clauses are triggered - such a performance-bonuses etc, or ones which change depending on increased seniority, responsibility or length of service. ETNZ would surely have something in place for the top guys showing their agreed term is until long after the AC finished, perhaps a year. During that time they can obviously talk to whoever they like (hard to stop people talking) but a mutual agreement can have any number of details which allow the incumbent team to have already agreed that an $x fee/salary/bonus can't be weighed up against a larger fee/salary offered by another team - within reason.

If someone is determined not to work for you you can't really make them, but these sort of employments come with many years of trial and error by the teams and they know how to keep good talent happy for the most part - and it's not always about making the biggest offer. Notwithstanding loyalty issues if the only thing that mattered was who offered you the most the biggest teams would make offers on every talent so as to force the existing team to up their offer to keep that talent - a net win to the outsider who just forced a team to spend more than they intended to retain someone.

6 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

True, but you could include a re-signing bonus available at the end of the regatta that was a significant proportion of the total "package" ;-)

"the package is $250k, $200 of which is a re-signing bonus"

Yep, there's many ways to achieve the retention of good talent.

I have no doubt Burling and Ashby will stay with ETNZ - they know their lifetime earning potential will be much higher if they stick around for the defence even if someone offered them 5 times what ETNZ could offering them now. An astute mentor would tell them that too.

14 minutes ago, bob202 said:

Yep, there's many ways to achieve the retention of good talent.

I have no doubt Burling and Ashby will stay with ETNZ - they know their lifetime earning potential will be much higher if they stick around for the defence even if someone offered them 5 times what ETNZ could offering them now. An astute mentor would tell them that too.

I have no doubt that they will start too along with most of the top talent. 

OK I've made a gif of the no-look tack, AC race #7, second tack on the upwind leg, ETNZ (ahead) covering Oracle:

nolooktack.png

nolooktack.gif

As you can see, 2 Oracle crew members have already crossed the platform, telegraphing their intentions, whilst ETNZ perform the covering tack with everyone on (what will become) the leeward side of the boat.

47 minutes ago, KoW said:

nolooktack.gif

As you can see, 2 Oracle crew members have already crossed the platform, telegraphing their intentions, whilst ETNZ perform the covering tack with everyone on (what will become) the leeward side of the boat.

Great work!  I remember seeing that tack and thinking something looked wrong with it, but quickly forgot in the excitement...

2 minutes ago, Trafficker said:

Great work!  I remember seeing that tack and thinking something looked wrong with it, but quickly forgot in the excitement...

It makes you wonder what other tricks they had up their sleeves?

It really did seem like ETNZ had much more freedom to sail the boat the way they wanted, rather than just sail it the way the engineers had designed it (which I felt teams like BAR and to a lesser extent Oracle were doing).

I also wish we'd had more racing really - it's a pity the challenger final v Artemis was only first to 5... If that had been raced with some lay days, fewer races per day and was the first to 7 I think that would've yielded the best racing of the regatta.

I think it is something that should be taken into consideration in the next cup - fact is, there's a high likelihood that the LV challenger series final will see closer racing than the match itself... so don't just relegate it to a "let's get it over and done with" side-event - give the teams the best chance to improve over the challenger final.

1 hour ago, KoW said:

OK I've made a gif of the no-look tack, AC race #7, second tack on the upwind leg, ETNZ (ahead) covering Oracle:

nolooktack.png

nolooktack.gif

brilliant 

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

You can't make people work for you even if you pay them. That is the very definition of slavery in modern times.

Likewise you can't enforce unreasonable restraint of trade even if the other party signed a contract agreeing to it.

true if the contract was "unreasonable", however its such a situation like the Americas cup and all its secrets, it would not be deemed unreasonable in my opinion. 

Also it would only take one patriotic judge and you would lose. Judges are humans too with similar likes and dislikes to most people and that includes a sense of patriotic duty. 

I think you will also find that some precedents has already been created with RC having to sit out a cup cycle. If restraint of trade is so unreasonable why didn't he sue ???

49 minutes ago, mako23 said:

true if the contract was "unreasonable", however its such a situation like the Americas cup and all its secrets, it would not be deemed unreasonable in my opinion. 

Also it would only take one patriotic judge and you would lose. Judges are humans too with similar likes and dislikes to most people and that includes a sense of patriotic duty. 

I think you will also find that some precedents has already been created with RC having to sit out a cup cycle. If restraint of trade is so unreasonable why didn't he sue ???

It's a non issue anyway. None of the big boys are going anywhere. 

15 minutes ago, E63sccb said:

In tech there is a bit load of no-compete employment contracts and they are enforced in the USA and the EU

Nz not so much.  An unreasonable contract is generally unenforceable. 

No compete clauses in the USA are difficult to enforce and illegal in many states.

I would expect that what Grant Dalton is considering is a simple protocol definition of citizenship and a simple definition of citizenship requirements, perhaps along lines like:

• Citizenship of any individual working for any team at any time under the terms of this Protocol is defined as being their citizenship on the date this Protocol was executed.
  • Requirements for citizenship for sailing team members must exceed a threshold of NN%, except that sailing team members continuously employed by a team since the date this Protocol was executed shall be grandfathered into that percentage

That combination effectively reduces poaching across citizenship boundaries to be the non-citizenship allowance.

3 hours ago, bob202 said:

Yeah, and on that run ETNZ twice did darts to the right to deny OR any chance of the overtake too. That was good helming by Burling, even in a faster boat he tightened the noose more and more by make sure.

ac9.png

I took that to be moar than just preventing a pass - he was spending momentum to squash down and inflikt  maximal wing wosh on hiz oppozishin

Yeah, and on that run ETNZ twice did darts to the right to deny OR any chance of the overtake too

Yep, to me it was nailing the gybe & then those soaks that were more important, Orifice were always going to gybe on the boundary anyway, it just wasn't as good a gybe & they couldn't soak like ETNZ.

2 hours ago, KoW said:

nolooktack.gif

Yes, just listening to the Wifebasher audio, they explicitly talk about the 'no look tack a couple of days before' and that would be it.

That one mattered much more than the gybe: nailed the tack, sat right on Orifices wind, forced them to tack onto a header while ETNZ continued to boundary into a big leftie.

The lefty lifted ETNZ out to 280m when they tacked back into phase direct upwind as Orifice crossed.

And then Orifice was short of lay due to where they had been forced to tack.

4 hours ago, jaysper said:

It's a non issue anyway. None of the big boys are going anywhere. 

I would agree with you on this point

5 hours ago, E63sccb said:

In tech there is a bit load of no-compete employment contracts and they are enforced in the USA and the EU

I'm afraid they're generally not worth the paper they're written on. Anything further than 3 months out is a stretch and the definitions need to be watertight. 

4 hours ago, Barnyb said:

What's going on here?

19800755_1409872052382836_8658453129860295237_o.jpg

Pig-out!?

Models for Bendon's new '50 Shades' collection?

Scones R Us? Scones on Rus?

4 hours ago, Barnyb said:

What's going on here?

Two sailors that have given much to New Zealand sailing not giving a shit about internet cunts. RC is a lousy AC organizer, but he's been a strong reason why youth sailing continues to be strong in NZ. 

6 hours ago, Barnyb said:

What's going on here?

Russell: If you win the cup I'll eat my fucking hat.

Peter: Actually Russell...

Russell: What? You're kidding me? Ah fuck! Oh well, down the hatch.

2 minutes ago, rhodes33 said:

I call bullshit/photoshop.  Russ cant open his mouth that far.  Or PB is still practicing his photobombing.

How do you think Rusty managed to smoke Larry's cock all those years?

20 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Nicely done.

Much gets made of the AC historical importance of YC's but here's a question about the RNZYS: 

What exact decision making power does the RNZYS have over AC36 matters? How different is it to the GGYC?

If you have to ask the difference between the two clubs you wouldn't understand the a answer....

All these trolls since your heros got spanked just show how kissing lazz/russ ass has fucked up your head, you can't believe that everyone is not as morally bankrupt as your heros...you thought that RC 's rogering PB's 62 program was a master stroke but it's come back to haunt you, your hundreds of posts slagging off PB and Max S for helping TNZ show what a twat you are and that indeed..karma is a bitch..and now you are outraged that the evil axis ITA and NZ are getting a head start!....

48,600 posts...50% utter bollocks...

13 minutes ago, ro! said:

If you have to ask the difference between the two clubs you wouldn't understand the a answer....

All these trolls since your heros got spanked just show how kissing lazz/russ ass has fucked up your head, you can't believe that everyone is not as morally bankrupt as your heros...you thought that RC 's rogering PB's 62 program was a master stroke but it's come back to haunt you, your hundreds of posts slagging off PB and Max S for helping TNZ show what a twat you are and that indeed..karma is a bitch..and now you are outraged that the evil axis ITA and NZ are getting a head start!....

48,600 posts...50% utter bollocks...

It's harder to defend than it is to challenge. Head start? I don't know in this modern era. 

9 hours ago, Barnyb said:

What's going on here?

RC: I better eat up as I do not know where my next meal ticket will come from!

PB: Don't worry Russ, I will pick up the tab.

30 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Russ, ya rake, you're overdue for a good trim!

Careful, that's how Bill Clinton got into so much trouble.

Walked into his barber and asked for a "little trim"

1 minute ago, drbob said:

Not the best of days for a parade in Welly - assuming they could even get a plane in

IMG_0812.JPG

I have to admit using a white cane on my motorbike to get to work this morning.

10 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I have to admit using a white cane on my motorbike to get to work this morning.

Nice ride Jason...

Jason1.jpg.0275c2082874867ca3351d31dd27f688.jpg

21 hours ago, southseasbill said:

I was up there over the weekend checking out houses on the peninsula. I saw all the Open BIC's out sailing at Manly. May have been there for that. Russell has been open with his praise for Burling all along so who knows what he is trying to cook up. Maybe he was aksing Burling for a job :)

I like that :)

41 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Careful, that's how Bill Clinton got into so much trouble.

Walked into his barber and asked for a "little trim"

Very good. Was going to try mix the 'trim' comment with 'foil' or even with 'scone' included into it, but left it too wide open and so it got skewered.. by a smart-guy! ;)

It is a great shot, it needs a winner caption better than has been posted so far.

3 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Very good. Was going to try mix 'foil' or even 'scone' into it, but left it too wide open and so it got skewered.. by a smart-ARSE! ;)

FIFY!

1 minute ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Post some parade pics, DICKHEAD!

Ouch! Will do my best but only cam I have is on my phone and I suspect the crowd will be large enough that the only thing I will be able to photograph is the back of peeps heads.

Certainly the last time I attended anything of a decent size (ANZAC celebrations) that was the case.

Is it really so hard for some of you keyboard heroes to realise that your views on Coutts might not be shared by those who are actually involved? Maybe Pete realises that without Coutts, he would never have had the opportunity, because it was Coutts who brought in the cats and it was Coutts that came up with a format that suited the skills of the skiff sailors. If they had stayed in IACC boats, I doubt you would have seen Burling, Outteridge, Ashby and some of the other stars of the last cup.

11 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Ouch! Will do my best but only cam I have is on my phone and I suspect the crowd will be large enough that the only thing I will be able to photograph is the back of peeps heads.

Certainly the last time I attended anything of a decent size (ANZAC celebrations) that was the case.

If you somehow get a chance to take a selfie, the Cup behind you hopefully close, DO IT. 

No you don't have to post it, but you will definitely save that memory photo.

2 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

If you somehow get a chance to take a selfie, the Cup behind you hopefully close, DO IT. 

No you don't have to post it, but you will definitely save that memory photo.

I think that's unlikely BUT I AM wearing my "For Ourselves" t-shirt today! LOL!

2 minutes ago, E63sccb said:

If you order the shirt , use a different color than the gray/black the black part of the graphics gets lost

LOL! I ordered black! Actually, don't think its THAT bad (For Ourselves) :D

20 minutes ago, E63sccb said:

You might need new lawyers, my experience is that they are extremely effective. Especially the 2.5years and less. I know of 3 distinct cases that the 9th circuit court  upheld between 2013 and 2016. 

No need to trust me you can look it up on the case law site.

Depends on the jurisdiction where the former employee is located, depends on where the competing entity is located, depends on how much consideration you paid, and if there are public interest considerations that goes against it. 

In the US it is a state by state analysis, not federal 9th circuit. If you're Oracle and sign a noncompete just for employment without additional consideration, employee jumps ship to New Zealand but works physically in Italy, good luck. You can enforce anti-corporate espionage legislation enacted per treaty obligations by most advanced economies, but right to employment isn't just casually voided because of a signature. 

In my field and jurisdiction, 2.5 years, been told it'll never get enforced and will be declared void? Ive been told I have be paying like 1/2 ~ 2x the annual salary in a lump sum for like a year. And it is always a case by case basis. Most of the time employers are just bluffing with sham noncompetes that can't be enforced.

i had colleagues that got poached and on the way out basically said you're welcome to try and get an injunction against me from starting work, but please know if you lose, I'll be sure to let all my friends know there's precedent that the specific noncompete is void - and we are hiring  

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Depends on the jurisdiction where the former employee is located, depends on where the competing entity is located, depends on how much consideration you paid, and if there are public interest considerations that goes against it. 

In the US it is a state by state analysis, not federal 9th circuit. If you're Oracle and sign a noncompete just for employment without additional consideration, employee jumps ship to New Zealand but works physically in Italy, good luck. You can enforce anti-corporate espionage legislation enacted per treaty obligations by most advanced economies, but right to employment isn't just casually voided because of a signature. 

In my field and jurisdiction, 2.5 years, been told it'll never get enforced and will be declared void? Ive been told I have be paying like 1/2 ~ 2x the annual salary in a lump sum for like a year. And it is always a case by case basis. 

To be clear, my original comment was in regard to NZ employment law because this is where Burling et al are employed.

I've heard cases of gardening leave up to 3 months but not more (although there might be cases of such). However 1 or 2 years restraint of trade just wouldn't fly (or foil).

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

To be clear, my original comment was in regard to NZ employment law because this is where Burling et al are employed.

I've heard cases of gardening leave up to 3 months but not more (although there might be cases of such). However 1 or 2 years restraint of trade just wouldn't fly (or foil).

Yah most of the modern world balances proprietor interest and employee rights by separating right to work and corporate espionage protections and getting away from non-competes. 

In the US you have idiots drafting non-competes against fucking waiters as if there's investment in employee dev or secret trade info. Increasingly getting laughed out of courts. 

If if someone wanted to poach Burling, they won't be keeping him in Kiwiland, just move him offshore and come back for the cup. Lol good luck trying to stop that. Keeping talent is about making them happy. Not sowing seeds of discontent with oppressive contracts. 

43 minutes ago, Miffy said:

In my field and jurisdiction, 2.5 years, been told it'll never get enforced and will be declared void? Ive been told I have be paying like 1/2 ~ 2x the annual salary in a lump sum for like a year. And it is always a case by case basis. Most of the time employers are just bluffing with sham noncompetes that can't be enforced.

i had colleagues that got poached and on the way out basically said you're welcome to try and get an injunction against me from starting work, but please know if you lose, I'll be sure to let all my friends know there's precedent that the specific noncompete is void - and we are hiring  

Bang on. And when the new employer is prepared to challenge the validity of the non compete, the lawyers have a field day. 

40 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Keeping talent is about making them happy. Not sowing seeds of discontent with oppressive contracts. 

Absolutely agreed.

Makes me think Burling was probably just catching up with Russell to find out what the market rate for a helmsman employed by a billionaire instead of ETNZ should be.

5 minutes ago, KoW said:

Absolutely agreed.

Makes me think Burling was probably just catching up with Russell to find out what the market rate for a helmsman employed by a billionaire instead of ETNZ should be.

If Pete gets offered several times as many millions to race in a brand new NextGen AC50 circuit, a boat he says he absolutely loves, then who could blame him for going that direction. Same for GA, AC50 designers, and whoever-all else.

A P$B mono slug, with severely commensurate pay-limiting nationality restrictions, as the alternative?! C'mon.. get real.

12 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

If Pete gets offered several times as many millions to race in a brand new NextGen AC50 circuit, a boat he says he absolutely loves, then who could blame him for going that direction.

Personally I'd say bloody well done to him...

but there do seem to be a LOT of rabid, fervent, non-sailing jingoistic nutjobs in New Zealand who bear grudges against sailors who leave ETNZ to try and win the Cup for the highest paying billionaire and/or convert the Cup into something it is not, and who try their damndest to make it impossible for it to ever come back to New Zealand shores all in the name of self-interest.

Having said that, ironically, as well as being the best placed man to tell Burling what the market rate for a helmsman is, Coutts would also be the best placed person to tell Burling all about rabid nutjobs, hiring bodyguards and becoming a national object of hatred.

9 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

If Pete gets offered several times as many millions to race in a brand new NextGen AC50 circuit, a boat he says he absolutely loves, then who could blame him for going that direction. Same for GA, AC50 designers, and whoever-all else.

A P$B mono slug, with severely commensurate pay-limiting nationality restrictions, as the alternative?! C'mon.. get real.

I still don't see how this whole NextGen thing would work out. Without the full support of TNZ it would lose all reference to the AC. Without the AC link would it really be of much interest, considering the cost to develop, transport, maintain and race them. The ACWS was only watched because of the AC link, without it the event becomes just another expensive regatta with one big drawback. Any rich boys that want to get involved can't drive their own boat. So why would they. So without selling the concept to redbull I just don't see how it could fly.

3 minutes ago, KoW said:

but there do seem to be a LOT of rabid, fervent, non-sailing jingoistic nutjobs in New Zealand who bear grudges against sailors who leave ETNZ to try and win the Cup for the highest paying billionaire and/or convert the Cup into something it is not, and who try their damndest to make it impossible for it to ever come back to New Zealand shores all in the name of self-interest.

Having said that, ironically, as well as being the best placed man to tell Burling what the market rate for a helmsman is, Coutts would also be the best placed person to tell Burling all about rabid nutjobs, hiring bodyguards and becoming a national object of hatred.

I was suggesting that RC may be offering a role in an AC50 series separate from whatever goes down in AC36. 

4 minutes ago, KoW said:

I think you will find it is largely reserved for Russell et al because they gutted TNZ in a coordinated fashion.

I don't recall hearing anyone bashing Dickson, etc for plying their trade elsewhere.

If Burling goes elsewhere (unlikely IMO because I don't think ETNZ's funding situation is remotely as dire as they make out) then that's fine.

If however, he arranged for a coordinated exit of the core of the team then he could go get fucked also.

5 minutes ago, KoW said:

The cry of traitor certainly disappointed me. Athletes have a short time to make their choice of money making work and who are we to complain when the chances are that all of us would snap up any chance to earn way more by shifting jobs.

However I disagree with the direction RC has tried to take the cup and he needs a kick in the nuts for that. Then we all should look forward not back at shoulda coulda.

6 minutes ago, Gissie said:

I still don't see how this whole NextGen thing would work out. Without the full support of TNZ it would lose all reference to the AC. Without the AC link would it really be of much interest, considering the cost to develop, transport, maintain and race them. The ACWS was only watched because of the AC link, without it the event becomes just another expensive regatta with one big drawback. Any rich boys that want to get involved can't drive their own boat. So why would they. So without selling the concept to redbull I just don't see how it could fly.

Yes, a NextGen AC50 Series would cast off the lines from AC36, with no actual America's Cup at stake.

But do you really think it matters too much, to an LE or TT? They may not actually care this time.

Just now, ~Stingray~ said:

Yes, it would cast the lines from AC36, with no actual America's Cup at stake.

But do you really think it matters too much, to an LE or TT? They may not actually care.

Considering LE/RC seemed to be on this big run of making the cup self funding then they wouldn't touch a new series with expensive boats that only a few people can drive without risking life and boat with your dick.

12 minutes ago, KoW said:

This is because your average kiwi couch potato cares only for the colour of the jersey and a sense of elation at seeing one of them holding medals or trophies... and when they don't, wifey gets a black eye.

I fear the nationality rule will be a gigantic kiwi circlejerk that puts Larry and Russell's board-stacking to shame.

15 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I was suggesting that RC may be offering a role in an AC50 series separate from whatever goes down in AC36. 

Yes that may well be what was happening, and I don't think anyone would begrudge a young Burling if he chose to defect to an AC50 series that had nothing to do with the AC (especially if the new AC class rule isn't in cats similar to A50s)

Actually I'd strongly argue if Coutts and co. are serious about running a series independent of the AC then they need Burling and/or Ashby and Tuke  - how could any new AC50 circuit have any credibility when the proven best AC50 sailors aren't involved? The America's Cup gives instant credibility, but without it, or the best sailors, boats, teams and tech, an AC50 series would just be another beach regatta.

If I were ETNZ though, I'd seriously consider keeping involved in any new circuit that did pop up (even if their new AC class rule isn't an AC50 type boat) - That would keep their sailors and designers involved and sharp, (and in the hunt for billionaire prize money), and stop their IP and talent being snaffled by other teams between ACs. If Coutts and co. tried to block ETNZ from being involved in their little series, they'd pretty quickly lose any cred at all IMO.

8 hours ago, Miffy said:

Two sailors that have given much to New Zealand sailing not giving a shit about internet cunts. RC is a lousy AC organizer, but he's been a strong reason why youth sailing continues to be strong in NZ. 

Well sed

Some years ago. Coutts proposed a professional tour using the fastest, big cats. It never took off for a number of reasons. We now have 3 such tours (AC, GC32 Cup, Extreme) proving he was correct. Whatever decision is made about the boat for the AC, that number will remain at 3 or become 4, because the Volvo have announced that is the way they are going for in port racing in the future. This means that every major professional tour that has money and which gets real viewers both live and on TV will be in foiling cats. If a monhull lead mine is chosen, the relevance of Ashby, Burling and Tuke goes and they probably would want to be involved in some sort of foiling cat tour because it suits their skills and it is what they enjoy. I doubt any of them are in it just for the money. It will be a huge gamble for ETNZ to move away from foiling cats. they will be handing most spectacular sailing over to great marketing machines including the best in sailing, the Volvo. they risk losing the key members of their team or neutralising their skills. They would throw away any advantage and learning they have gained this time around from having a better design team. They would also be creating an opening for Coutts and Co to undermine the AC once again with a rival series.

Yeah, same here. Mine are all 5 MB.

Got a nice shit with Ray Davies and myself, but accidentally covered my "For Ourselves" T-Shirt with a thumbs up.

21 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Got a nice shit with Ray Davies and myself, but accidentally covered my "For Ourselves" T-Shirt with a thumbs up.

How was the shit anyway mate?

1 minute ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Yeah, if the shit was too big at least you could describe it for us

1 minute ago, **ONTOIT** said:

LOL! Big brown and sloppy and there were two Emirates girls hanging around with it! :D

Just now, **ONTOIT** said:

Was it a jimmy?

Didn't see you what I said???? TWO EMIRATES GIRLS hanging around with it. Therefore, it COULDN'T have been a Jimmy! :P

26 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Email the photo to yourself... Resize the photo when prompted by phone

Just now, Rushman said:

Email the photo SHIT to yourself... Resize the photo SHIT when prompted by phone

fixed it for you lol...nothing like a good bit of toilet humor!

40 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Pics, or it didn't happen. Just like sunshine in Wellington.

14 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Email the photo to yourself... Resize the photo when prompted by phone

If on an iPhone (maybe Android too) just crop it a bit and Save. It gets small enough to upload.

3 hours ago, E63sccb said:

If you order the shirt , use a different color than the gray/black the black part of the graphics gets lost

Good feedback... I ordered a dark grey and its all good.. for the boat one... might order the cup one in black

Got mine on today too! :-)

12 minutes ago, ENZO THE MAL said:

am i the only sad sack taking great pleasure in watching and rewatching all the races ?

No