• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

After all the white-glove treatment by GGYC for the past 7 years it's a bit of a surprise to see the, not groping, but handling of the Cup on this tour. Since they need to add a base anyway perhaps any restoration to the Silver will be done at that time.

What's more important? The physical cup or the sporting challenge it represents?

And we have a history of abusing that big silver bastard. The hammer comes in 2018.

2 hours ago, NZL4EVER said:

Cup tour had finished up at Bluff bottom of the South Island 

IMG_7134.JPG

IMG_7130.JPG

I think it is a excellent idea to bring back the Cup from the YC and white gloves to the people and kids, not only for the AC but for the future of sailing.

There seemed to be a consensus that if anyone elderly or disabled was around they lifted the cup over to them for a close look and touch I noticed this when It visited my town.

IMG_7091.JPG

Brilliant effort RNZYS and ETNZ.

Just as well Bluff Yacht Club's BBQ has a hood on it. Not sure gannet shit goes that well with steak!

3 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

After all the white-glove treatment by GGYC for the past 7 years it's a bit of a surprise to see the, not groping, but handling of the Cup on this tour. Since they need to add a base anyway perhaps any restoration to the Silver will be done at that time.

The gloves (by Tiffany) are blue now

AC Both.jpg

1 hour ago, hoom said:

Great stuff.

I wonder if they'll let it out of the case & let me lift it when it comes back to RNZYS?

Policy is: "no filthy Auckland hands should be put on it".

Rest of country, fine.

20 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Policy is: "no filthy Auckland hands should be put on it".

Rest of country, fine.

LOL! Especially after what the Jafas let happen to it last time!

On that subject was there a documentary being made? TNZ in 1995 and 2000 had this I've asked via Facebook messenger but heard nothing 

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

LOL! Especially after what the Jafas let happen to it last time!

On a personal note, I met a beautiful Kiwi family in Positano last summer, and the boys were surprised I knew that saying. SA has some use, after all!

On 10/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, Indio said:

There's a very good reason why the Tasman is the most expensive stretch of water on the planet for moving goods...

1) Ever been on a working wharf?

2) Got a link?

48 minutes ago, Xlot said:

^ Refresh ... or RESET? :D

Great question.

Perhaps NZ males will emerge from their austerity problems? :D Jacindamania!!!

I hope her bra’s have sexy-great Cups.

5 hours ago, ezyb said:

Wait, is that their new PM?

Yes but bear in mind thats a shopped as heck magazine cover.

Google Images has a surprisingly large number of pics with her looking pretty odd but she ain't ugly

eight_col_PM_Jacinda.jpg?1508435350

Also smart & articulate :)

8 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Funny

The best and worst lovers in the world by country: Where does NZ rank? 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11935001

Fortunately sheep can't talk, so the world will never know. ;)

The meeting that changed the course of America's Cup history

On Emirates Team New Zealand in 2017 Glenn Ashby, for various reasons including having the most multihull sailing experience, was both sail trimmer as well as leading the crew as skipper. Peter Burling had the single task of helmsman. In the 2013 America's Cup Dean Barker had the dual role of helmsman and skipper. It is a significant difference.

In that review, it was decided to replace Barker as skipper. However, the news did not break until nine months later in February 2015.

It is hard to believe that, as an Executive Committee member, Barker was unaware that the decision had been taken to replace him in that role; however, that is Barker's view of the situation.

Barker's ousting was first broken on social media, which Team New Zealand claimed and still maintain was as much a surprise to them as it was to Barker.

To the experienced sailing media, the news was no surprise.

The scene had been set over a year ago in January 2014 when Burling and Tuke were announced to a media conference at the old Alinghi, now Team New Zealand, base in Halsey Street.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11935341&ref=NZH_FBpage

looks like we are all going to have to buy the book

In Bermuda, Burling proved to be an extremely quick thinker, who could position a boat very accurately. His starting tactics were unorthodox, and while he lost a few early on and created anguish among the non-sailing media, there was a method to his apparent madness. In the Match, he made the starting superstar Jimmy Spithill look very ordinary - it was a staggering performance by Burling.

It transpired that at their first meeting in December 2013, at Dalton's house, Burling had asked for the helmsman's role. 'My reaction was we've got a bit to go under the bridge yet, mate, but let's see where we get to,' Dalton recalled at the post-America's Cup media conference on 26 June 2017.

This is an extract from Lone Wolf: How Emirates Team New Zealand stunned the world, by Richard Gladwell.

For almost all of its 30-year America's Cup history, Emirates Team New Zealand has been one of the first to launch a boat in the new America's Cup cycle. Except for the 35th America's Cup — when they were one of the last.

That statistic underscores the fact that Emirates Team New Zealand had been forced into running quite a different sailing programme from the other teams and indeed wh.....

etc

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/97966610/americas-cup-book-young-guns-strike-a-blow-against-the-old-guard

On 10/22/2017 at 6:44 AM, nav said:

This is an extract from Lone Wolf: How Emirates Team New Zealand stunned the world, by Richard Gladwell.

For almost all of its 30-year America's Cup history, Emirates Team New Zealand has been one of the first to launch a boat in the new America's Cup cycle. Except for the 35th America's Cup — when they were one of the last.

That statistic underscores the fact that Emirates Team New Zealand had been forced into running quite a different sailing programme from the other teams and indeed wh.....

etc

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/97966610/americas-cup-book-young-guns-strike-a-blow-against-the-old-guard

Just finished reading the ebook version, cost $9. If I had known the total content I doubt I would have spent that much on it. It had very little information that you could not find by watching the races, or reading this site carefully. It was also not that well written, with a lot of events/facts/incidents repeated as the author moved to a new topic and chapter.
If you are not someone that kept up with the threads on this site or do not feel like scanning through the history then the book might be ok. But do not pay too much or expect a great flowing yarn

1 hour ago, jonas a said:

Seems like NZ had to deal with another angry American..

For a moment, I thought it was something related to Trump's ineffable ambassador to NZ and Samoa. He hasn't yet told your women how much they could make waiting tables, has he?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/25/politics/scott-brown-samoa-comments-inquiry/index.html

Just one of many 'pretty legal' things the Nats got busted for. (albeit this is the only one they're actually going to suffer for)

NZ really dodged a bullet not having to suffer from Joyce's terrible maths as Minister of Finance.

9 hours ago, jonas a said:

Seems like NZ had to deal with another angry American..

So much for being, "pretty legal".

But I think National have a case against the music distributor, have they not?

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

So much for being, "pretty legal".

But I think National have a case against the music distributor, have they not?

Yes, one would assume so. 

2 hours ago, hoom said:

NZ really dodged a bullet not having to suffer from Joyce's terrible maths as Minister of Finance.

Luckily we have a pathologically lazy MoF now, so hopefully that minimises the damage.  A PM with extensive commercial experience as a chippie should help to mitigate issues also...

They'll probably nationalise the A.C. and create a racing sailors union (mandatory nembership) before taxing use of seawater for recreational purposes.

Joy.

3 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Luckily we have a pathologically lazy MoF now, so hopefully that minimises the damage.  A PM with extensive commercial experience as a chippie should help to mitigate issues also...

They'll probably nationalise the A.C. and create a racing sailors union (mandatory nembership) before taxing use of seawater for recreational purposes.

Joy.

whilst ensuring that all crews are made of equal parts male / female

7 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

whilst ensuring that all crews are made of equal parts male / female

Did you just assume the sailing persons' gender?

12 hours ago, Nutta said:

Joy.

Would have been much better with our previous bunch. They would have got a much better deal for selling the AC than Oracle did for sure. And the Jafa's could stop whining as it would have been auctioned off to someone with cash.

How Team New Zealand used artificial intelligence to help win America's Cup

The AI revelations come via young intern Juan Perdomo. The 22-year-old sailor from San Juan, Puerto Rico, hit up Emirates Team New Zealand for a job and got the call-up to join technical director Dan Bernasconi's software simulation team.

Having narrowly missed out on getting a Laser berth at the Rio Olympics for Puerto Rico, Perdomo offered a sailing and science perspective for the Cup campaign courtesy of his Harvard University studies where he is majoring in maths and computer science.

Moving to Auckland, he helped the team's computer whizzes come up with a program that was basically a state-of-the-art video game. They built an AI agent that could sail by itself and be used to practice against, meaning the Team New Zealand crew didn't even have to go on the water at times to improve their skills.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/98389574/how-team-new-zealand-used-artificial-intelligence-to-help-win-americas-cup

2 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Moving to Auckland, he helped the team's computer whizzes come up with a program that was basically a state-of-the-art video game. They built an AI agent that could sail by itself and be used to practice against, meaning the Team New Zealand crew didn't even have to go on the water at times to improve their skills.

How great would it be if they polished that up a bit and released it for the public to 'try their luck'

15 hours ago, Barnyb said:

How Team New Zealand used artificial intelligence to help win America's Cup

The AI revelations come via young intern Juan Perdomo. The 22-year-old sailor from San Juan, Puerto Rico, hit up Emirates Team New Zealand for a job and got the call-up to join technical director Dan Bernasconi's software simulation team.

Having narrowly missed out on getting a Laser berth at the Rio Olympics for Puerto Rico, Perdomo offered a sailing and science perspective for the Cup campaign courtesy of his Harvard University studies where he is majoring in maths and computer science.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/98389574/how-team-new-zealand-used-artificial-intelligence-to-help-win-americas-cup

and as i did mention 6 months ago i would have been very surprised if PB wasn't honing his starts and tactics on a very smart sim. 

21 hours ago, TimmyHate said:

How great would it be if they polished that up a bit and released it for the public to 'try their luck'

Feed it the "Ben Ainslie" personality and you would have the makings of a pretty decent survival video game.

25 minutes ago, Barnyb said:
Emirates Team New Zealand shared Australian Sailing's post.
Hugely well deserved recognition to our #americascup winning Skipper Glenn Ashby!
Australian Sailing Male Sailor of the year 2017!

23167808_1538845636174116_5566308236816045389_n.jpg

This is my surprised face :mellow: . Who else could they possibly have chosen? 

Well deserved award for a massive contribution to etnzs success. 

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Barnyb said:
Emirates Team New Zealand shared Australian Sailing's post.
Hugely well deserved recognition to our #americascup winning Skipper Glenn Ashby!
Australian Sailing Male Sailor of the year 2017!

23167808_1538845636174116_5566308236816045389_n.jpg

Thoroughly deserved - congratulations. How good would he go as Skipper and tactician on the AC75....

50 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

The public voting window is open for the World Sailor of the Year.
Less than 48 hours to vote for the two Emirates Team New Zealandnominees up for the prestigious award:

#ETNZ Skipper Glenn Ashby &
#ETNZ Helmsman Peter Burling

I suspect this will end up as a bit of a joke. Burling did a great job steering and therefore is seen by those who know no better as having won the cup, but the man who really won it for ETNZ was Ashby. He ran the whole sailing side of the game, was skipper, was instrumental in sorting out how to use the wing and drove many of the developments. make no mistake. Without Ashby, ETNZ would not have won, but then again, that is why he was given the job in the first place. I know some will say that without they would not have won, but I believe they could have brought in another helm and still won.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

I suspect this will end up as a bit of a joke. Burling did a great job steering and therefore is seen by those who know no better as having won the cup, but the man who really won it for ETNZ was Ashby. He ran the whole sailing side of the game, was skipper, was instrumental in sorting out how to use the wing and drove many of the developments. make no mistake. Without Ashby, ETNZ would not have won, but then again, that is why he was given the job in the first place. I know some will say that without they would not have won, but I believe they could have brought in another helm and still won.

have to agree

Come on, one minute it's the Italian designers, next it's the Aussie skipper, then the middle-eastern pesos - please make up your minds exactly which foreign intervention is solely responsible for the lucky kiwi win.....

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, nav said:

Come on, one minute it's the Italian designers, next it's the Aussie skipper, then the middle-eastern pesos - please make up your minds exactly which foreign intervention is solely responsible for the lucky kiwi win.....

Yep. ETNZ just happened to be there at AC35 at the right time, to snatch that lucky win.

Any of the other teams could have won, had they been as lucky. ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

While I agree that Ashby did a great job of trimming his roll as skipper was more important when the boat was being conceived and developed before the racing even started.  Burling did a great job as helmsman and tactician when the racing for the AC started.

Without Ashby ETNZ may have finished up with a boat that was no better than the rest.

4 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

I'm sorry but that's crap.  ETNZ out-everything'd all the other groups, and did it in as team-forward a way as you can imagine. Right people, right decisions, right effort all the way. It does a real disservice to sport to try and denigrate one of the team members to laud another when the team presented such a solid front. 

They certainly deserve criticism for the way they seem to be going about the next cup, and their fans are absolutely insufferable, but as I see it that was an inspiring performance and trying to trivialize the accomplishment is, again, crap. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RMac said:

It does a real disservice to sport to try and denigrate one of the team members to laud another when the team presented such a solid front. 

That may be so, but we are talking about an award that 2 members of the crew are in the running for and which there is likely to be only one winner. One of them will miss out (unless they give it jointly which has happened but is very unlikely). So which one is "more deserving" if you have to choose just one?  

10 hours ago, RMac said:

They certainly deserve criticism for the way they seem to be going about the next cup...

Care to enlighten us as to how they are deserving of being criticised??

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

i suspect you are as well.

I voted PB for his work in the starts which were his alone.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

On an AC50, especially that of ETNZ, no one ever does anything alone.

i believe pete was trained to make the call on his own. that's why the boat was designed for him to be heads up. certainly you heard him making trim calls to GA. and everyone else was heads down.

i could be wrong, 

2 hours ago, barfy said:

As has been pointed out by nroose, Burling was far from alone. For instance, thanks to Tuke Blair's efforts, he didn't have to worry about adjusting the foils which the other helm's needed to. I agree with the people saying it was a team effort, but to vote for Burling because of his starts really belittles his contribution to the team which was far greater than just what you saw on race day. Regarding the starts specifically, when you have the quickest accelerating, fastest and most manoeuvrable boat, if you cannot look good in the starts, you shouldn't be helming.

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

As has been pointed out by nroose, Burling was far from alone. For instance, thanks to Tuke Blair's efforts, he didn't have to worry about adjusting the foils which the other helm's needed to. I agree with the people saying it was a team effort, but to vote for Burling because of his starts really belittles his contribution to the team which was far greater than just what you saw on race day. Regarding the starts specifically, when you have the quickest accelerating, fastest and most manoeuvrable boat, if you cannot look good in the starts, you shouldn't be helming.

Perhaps one could vote for *all* the reasons PB is awesome, and the same goes for Ashby... whodathinkit!?!?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Congratulations Peter Burling just named as World Sailing Male Sailor of the Year for 2017 topping off what has been an incredible year for him and the entire Emirates Team New Zealand team including Skipper Glenn Ashby who was also nominated for the prestigious award!

23244588_1942666745758368_725728301767781046_n.jpg

I wouldve wimped out and named them both.  For ALL the reasons stated. PB's starts were awesome. But GA was a true leader and brought it all home. Congrats to both anyway.

31 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Oh, pleeeeeease, how rude and irrelevant, when your prime minister mourns your First Cat...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/08/new-zealand-pm-mourns-loss-first-cat-paddles-run-car/

Oh, great - this has made international news. I was hoping that our PM's lack of substance wouldn't become common knowledge quite so quickly...

16 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

really...i'm belittling Burling for voting for him? WTF over

you mention team work, which of course won the cup...the shore crew et al of course.

but the most visible demonstration of one man's skills in the Match was the starts in my opinion. PB took what was supposed to be a total win by the opposing team, and crushed JS with varied tactics from a large bag of tricks that he (and of course his coaches) had developed. The tricks were well executed, and gave the team advantage as their slower reaching mod needed a leg up to dominate comfortably for the entire race, rather than play the catch up game they played for the preliminaries.

8 hours ago, Nutta said:

Oh, great - this has made international news. I was hoping that our PM's lack of substance wouldn't become common knowledge quite so quickly...

Yes, I can tell you that Jacinda's cat news went over the world.

Congrats to Peter Burling !

Also a good engineer from all accounts to continue the talking points, who drew up and 3D printed the majority of his controls, and remember he could control most aspects of the boat from his station.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

The unseen story of the 48 hours that saved the Kiwi AC campaign:

https://www.sailingworld.com/breaking-and-bonding?src=SOC&dom=fb

Cool story.

But it’s missing the BFD conspiracy theory accusation hurled by de Noro at Cammas/GTF, and indirectly also at Oracle for just in case nobody would already think he’d gone completely loony-tunes... :D

• Downvote 1

Exposed: The Dark Side of the America's Cup

It was a thrilling victory for Emirates Team New Zealand when they defeated Oracle Team USA in Bermuda to take home the Auld Mug. But the America's Cup hasn't always been smooth sailing... rife with dirty deals, spying, betrayal and legal battles throughout its 166-year history. It's all been captured in the new book Exposed: The Dark Side of the America's Cup, a revealing glimpse behind the scenes of one of the most controversial contests in the sporting world. Kathryn Ryan speaks with its authors, former yachting journalist and publisher Alan Sefton, and America's Cup historian and broadcaster Larry Keating.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018620989/exposed-the-dark-side-of-the-america-s-cup

So word on the street is, that since Peter Burling is from Tauranga, and plans for Auckland are very slow, that Tauranga New Zealand is being seriously considered for the next defence. It would be great for Tauranga, as Pete Burling and Blair Tuke spent a fair chunk of time training here in the lead up to Rio, and they will definitely have the hometown crowd behind them 110%. A new Marine Precinct is currently under construction also. Not to mention the country's largest Port is here as well. 

19 minutes ago, pluscount said:

Wind, waves and tides at Tauranga during probable race dates?

We're generally pretty sheltered here in Tauranga. We don't really get the extremes that places like Auckland and Wellington get. Like everywhere in New Zealand, the winds during summer are fairly light. Tide isn't much of a problem either, as there are plenty of options in terms of race courses. You could pretty much race anywhere off the beach. Tauranga is extremely busy during Summer, including a consistently busy cruise ship season from Novermber through April. Obviously its still early days,  and Auckland can't be counted out. But Tauranga would be a fairly strong option I would think. 

port-of-tauranga.jpg