• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sclarke said:

Tauranga is plenty large enough to host the AC.

Don't live in Tauranga perchance ?

Hey, I'd love to see the A.C. in Wellington but the reality is that it would look more like "Survivour" than the A.C with 100kmhr winds being considered little more than a good stiff breeze here.

As much as I hate to say it, the only logical place is Auckland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sabre rattling is probably the most likely scenario but if the Auckland council doesn't get their shit together in time It may start to look more viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Battleship said:

Sabre rattling is probably the most likely scenario but if the Auckland council doesn't get their shit together in time It may start to look more viable.

I think they will if for no other reason than they would get trounced at the ballot box and lose their cushy little jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tauranga looks to be a very nice alternative.

Since most of the event spend is likely to be by local NZers how far from big-population Auckland is it, about 100 miles and under two hours by car? edit: apparently 200km, 2hr 30m by car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Tauranga looks to be a very nice alternative.

Since most of the event spend is likely to be by local NZers how far from big-population Auckland is it, about 100 miles and under two hours by car? edit: apparently 200km, 2hr 30m by car.

Nice drive too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Nice drive too.

Yes, especially as you get closer to Paeroa. Lovely part of the country and great drink too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaysper said:

Yes, especially as you get closer to Paeroa. Lovely part of the country and great drink too!

Only improved by a slosh of a distilled sugarcane alcoholic beverage and bittersThe drink, that is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sclarke said:

So word on the street is, that since Peter Burling is from Tauranga, and plans for Auckland are very slow, that Tauranga New Zealand is being seriously considered for the next defence. It would be great for Tauranga, as Pete Burling and Blair Tuke spent a fair chunk of time training here in the lead up to Rio, and they will definitely have the hometown crowd behind them 110%. A new Marine Precinct is currently under construction also. Not to mention the country's largest Port is here as well. 

Sounds nice but the logistics and economics won't work for Tauranga. How would they cope with 5000+ Auckland boaties descending into town for the events??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indio said:

Sounds nice but the logistics and economics won't work for Tauranga. How would they cope with 5000+ Auckland boaties descending into town for the events??

That could make for quite the flotilla... wonder if I could pull it off in my 4.5m 1978 Fleetline ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indio said:

Sounds nice but the logistics and economics won't work for Tauranga. How would they cope with 5000+ Auckland boaties descending into town for the events??

That would be easy there is over 7,000 people every time we have two cruise ships dock, there is usually a huge influx of tourists every summer so the place is geared up for it.

Imagine trying to book a hotel in auckland for the AC can't even get one now let alone when something is on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The photos of Tauranga suggest there is plenty of waterfront availability, in a beauty location. It’s no wonder ETNZ is looking into it, for just in case.

The Protocol that LR signed specifies only Auckland or Italy. Maybe P$B would, out of the gentleness of his soft heart, amiably agree a big change in venue..?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rh2600 said:

That could make for quite the flotilla... wonder if I could pull it off in my 4.5m 1978 Fleetline ;-)

Ah...I should think there'd be more than enough... Oh never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, jaysper said:

Don't live in Tauranga perchance ?

Hey, I'd love to see the A.C. in Wellington but the reality is that it would look more like "Survivour" than the A.C with 100kmhr winds being considered little more than a good stiff breeze here.

As much as I hate to say it, the only logical place is Auckland. 

tuff nuts for you...of course Auckland.

hope you don't loose your cushy job over your rumitations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, Battleship said:

That would be easy there is over 7,000 people every time we have two cruise ships dock, there is usually a huge influx of tourists every summer so the place is geared up for it.

Imagine trying to book a hotel in auckland for the AC can't even get one now let alone when something is on. 

Given that every second house sold in Tauranga in the last few years was probably bought by an Aucklander anyway, it's pretty much just another suburb now isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boybland said:

Given that every second house sold in Tauranga in the last few years was probably bought by an Aucklander anyway, it's pretty much just another suburb now isn't it?

Pretty much, things are a lot busier now, sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes for me to get to work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Battleship said:

Pretty much, things are a lot busier now, sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes for me to get to work.

I can see why people move, there are places up here where it takes 10 minutes to get through the first set of lights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, Battleship said:

That would be easy there is over 7,000 people every time we have two cruise ships dock, there is usually a huge influx of tourists every summer so the place is geared up for it.

Imagine trying to book a hotel in auckland for the AC can't even get one now let alone when something is on. 

I was referring to 5000+ boats of every description and size descending on Tauranga harbour...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you get 5000 from? Even if every single boat in Westhaven came down (unlikely in the extreme) that is not even two thousand. Can you honestly see 5000 boat coming down?. By far the best viewing would be from land on the side of Mt Maunganui.

I Can see things getting a bit cramped as far as super yacht berths go, they would need to make room for them at the port.

There is a huge amount of sheltered anchorage in the inner harbour for smaller boats if you were on a budget and wanted to take your own, but limited amount of empty marina berths, probably only 100 or so. Then again all the game fishing boats and others may choose to base themselves elsewhere and rent their berths out while the cup is on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Battleship said:

Where do you get 5000 from? Even if every single boat in Westhaven came down (unlikely in the extreme) that is not even two thousand. Can you honestly see 5000 boat coming down?. By far the best viewing would be from land on the side of Mt Maunganui.

I Can see things getting a bit cramped as far as super yacht berths go, they would need to make room for them at the port.

There is a huge amount of sheltered anchorage in the inner harbour for smaller boats if you were on a budget and wanted to take your own, but limited amount of empty marina berths, probably only 100 or so. Then again all the game fishing boats and others may choose to base themselves elsewhere and rent their berths out while the cup is on.

Don't get too excited - Tauranga will never host an AC Defence..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Indio said:

Don't get too excited - Tauranga will never host an AC Defence..

They said Trump would never be President, and look what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sclarke said:

They said Trump would never be President, and look what happened.

Are you calling Auckland Hilary? Ouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sclarke said:

They said Trump would never be President, and look what happened.

Only in Amerika mate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Kiwi America's Cup sailors Peter Burling and Blair Tuke were at the centre of the hijinx as the Volvo Ocean Race fleet crossed the Equator.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11943749

Ha, ha. Well done, King Neptune. Two more raw recruits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

AfENaBbMLq2U6nJ6zpO6.jpg

 

Elise Beavis came fresh out of university in late 2015 to join one of the most successful sports teams in the world. Photo: Hamish Hooper ETNZ

Meet Team NZ’s ‘golden girl’

 

Since winning the America’s Cup, Emirates Team New Zealand have had just two designers working full-time on conceiving a yacht, the like of which has never been sailed before.

One of them is Dan Bernasconi, the team’s technical director, with a glittering 25-year design career that includes working for McLaren’s Formula One team.

The other is 23-year-old Elise Beavis, a talented sailor in her youth, who came fresh out of university in late 2015 to join one of the most successful sports teams in the world. It doesn’t seem to bother Beavis that her boss was solving engineering problems well before she was born.

“I’m quite a lot younger than other people here; a new grad who’s not an expert in any area. But they’ve trusted me to do my job right,” she says. “I know I’m pretty lucky to have been given this opportunity.”

.......

And she’s already taking tips from “sailing” the AC75. “I am yet to successfully do a foiling gybe in my Waszp. So what I have learned from sailing the new America’s Cup boat on the simulator is the importance of keeping zero heel through a gybe,” she laughs.

.......

“We need to decide what limitations to place on the design so it doesn’t become crazily, stupidly expensive, and to decide the areas where we want the development to be,” she says. “Then once the rule is out, then we can concentrate on what we did with the AC50 – make it as fast as possible.

 

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/11/21/62424/meet-team-nzs-golden-girl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nav said:

“I am yet to successfully do a foiling gybe in my Waszp. So what I have learned from sailing the new America’s Cup boat on the simulator is the importance of keeping zero heel through a gybe,” she laughs.

It’s a brilliant question. HTH do you do that with a three-d boat if you are two-footed? Crazy foil articulations, here we come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big night for Emirates Team New Zealand at the Yachting New ZealandExcellence awards

Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards:
- Sailor of the Year: Emirates Team New Zealand
- Coach of the Year: Murray Jones & Ray Davies
- President’s Award: Emirates Team New Zealand board of directors & Torbay Sailing Club

Performance Awards:
- Peter Burling (Tauranga Yacht & Powerboat Club)
- Emirates Team New Zealand (RNZYS)

Service Awards:
- Matteo de Nora (Emirates Team New Zealand)

Congratulations on all of tonights award winners across all categories.
New Zealand Yachting is looking strong!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the back of being named Rolex World Male Sailor of the Year, Zhik congratulates their Team Rider, Peter Burling on being named M2 Man of the Year 2017!

 

24059182_10155205719236048_1211551659467321386_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Off the back of being named Rolex World Male Sailor of the Year, Zhik congratulates their Team Rider, Peter Burling on being named M2 Man of the Year 2017!

 

24059182_10155205719236048_1211551659467321386_n.jpg

Love that tag line. All I have to do to perform like Pete, is buy their product. Yeah right. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team New Zealand exclude Peter Burling from Halberg Awards nominations

Peter Burling will not be among those in contention for New Zealand's top male sporting honour, with Team New Zealand not putting him forward for the Sportsman of the Year category at next year's Halberg Awards.

 

It is believed that Team New Zealand have turned down such nomination suggestions themselves, choosing instead to focus on the achievements of the team, rather than that of any individuals.

Yachting New Zealand chief executive David Abercrombie said that the organisation did not want to go against the wishes of Team New Zealand, not putting Burling forward to the Halberg trust.

"As much we - from a yachting perspective - would like to see Pete recognised as well ... we respect Team New Zealand's view on that," he told Fairfax.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/other/team-new-zealand-exclude-peter-burling-halberg-awards-nominations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Team New Zealand exclude Peter Burling from Halberg Awards nominations

Peter Burling will not be among those in contention for New Zealand's top male sporting honour, with Team New Zealand not putting him forward for the Sportsman of the Year category at next year's Halberg Awards.

 

Great decision by ETNZ. Would have been an easy one to make...well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 3:20 PM, ~Stingray~ said:

Team New Zealand's Peter Burling has been named as the world's best foiling sailor after winning the World Sailor of the Year award for the second time.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11953296

Still don’t completely get why ETNZ wouldn’t just let this outfit award Burling, but whatever..

Mark Reason: Team New Zealand deserve an award for not nominating Peter Burling

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/99675293/mark-reason-team-new-zealand-deserve-an-award-for-not-nominating-peter-burling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing: Team New Zealand's turmoil before their America's Cup win

"People don't know all these details but a few months before the America's Cup they had some breakages with the foils. They were in a tough spot in New Zealand," Kouyoumdjian told Nautical Channel.

"They solved – and there was a little rule change that helped them a lot – what could've been an end gamer for them."

 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11956679

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the people who might make comment about ETNZ structural issues, he is the last I'd have expected to do it :blink:

Guess he's touting about for a JC75 commission....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoom said:

Of all the people who might make comment about ETNZ structural issues, he is the last I'd have expected to do it :blink:

The foil problems were common knowledge during the campaign and were admitted to by GD and others afterwards. The Rule changes were also made a big point of contention by ETNZ but, as Juan K here and RC before him pointed out, one of them ended up basically saving ETNZ’s campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Sailing: Team New Zealand's turmoil before their America's Cup win

"People don't know all these details but a few months before the America's Cup they had some breakages with the foils. They were in a tough spot in New Zealand," Kouyoumdjian told Nautical Channel.

"They solved – and there was a little rule change that helped them a lot – what could've been an end gamer for them."

 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11956679

In case the video link doesn’t work for others too, this one does for me:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1595920397131221&id=156822357707706&ref=page_internal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hoom said:

Of all the people who might make comment about ETNZ structural issues, he is the last I'd have expected to do it :blink:

Guess he's touting about for a JC75 commission....

Might stand a better chance of landing one too, now the ACC is a mono (sort of).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

The foil problems were common knowledge during the campaign and were admitted to by GD and others afterwards. The Rule changes were also made a big point of contention by ETNZ but, as Juan K here and RC before him pointed out, one of them ended up basically saving ETNZ’s campaign.

Damn I knew I'd forgotten something in that post, yes rumors of damaged foils in early testing were well known.

Exactly how bad & the extent of 95 style disinformation I'm still not sure of.

Likewise under which rule they were repaired is unclear, ETNZ from recollection denied they were able to repair under the late change.

 

33 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Might stand a better chance of landing one too, now the ACC is a mono (sort of).

More to the point: the major structural bits are likely to be one-design so he can't fuck them up & kill people :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11958623

America's Cup hero Peter Burling was one of the most searched for Kiwi names this year, according to new data released by Google.

... The America's Cup was the top-trending sports event and second most popular overall search, beaten only by "Lotto result NZ".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now