9 minutes ago, Indio said:

I'm a little surprised she was not awarded what she claimed, given they'd effectively disestablished her position and ostensibly created a new one @ $65k less than she was being paid - and then they turned around and did not proceed with the new position. It reads like a deliberate ploy to get rid of a highly-paid position - i.e constructive dismissal. The ERA seems to have listened more to the employer's argument of being prevented from concluding her redundancy dismissal earlier had she not taken off to BDA to watch AC35, than the fact that they manufactured her redundancy.

Sounds pretty likely. No sympathy from me though. These HR types are a waste of space, IME.

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Sounds pretty likely. No sympathy from me though. These HR types are a waste of space, IME.

Unfortunately, HR managers are a necessary evil with the comprehensive Employment Relations and related laws on our legislature. The $165k salary quickly becomes relative should an impulsive manager in the organisation let his ego, temper or both to affect a decision which the ambulance-chasing employment lawyers can latch on to and turn into a multi-thousand-dollar settlement.

7 hours ago, Kiwing said:

I hope we can get back to sailing soon.

Over to you, Kiwing. What ya got? ;)

On 2/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, Sailbydate said:

Bill English has gone the way of the AC34* cheaters. Always felt he was too nice for politics, but he'll get a nice cushy ambassadorial gig somewhere in Europe.

• Like 1

Double Dipton Blinglish nice? :huh:

Conservative & bland yes, nice no.

More likely a 7-digit Finance gig like Key.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, Sailbydate said:

While swimming at Long beach a foiling Kite flier entertainer us all.  As he came into the shore I rushed to help. Just beyond the break he dropped off the foil and I realized his Kite dropped on the grass beside his car and he walked in with foil under one arm and looping the "strings" what do they call them?). he was packed into the car and gone in less time than it takes me to get the rig off my laser!!

Wish I had a waterproof phone (to video him) in my pocket!!

2 hours ago, Kiwing said:

While swimming at Long beach a foiling Kite flier entertainer us all.  As he came into the shore I rushed to help. Just beyond the break he dropped off the foil and I realized his Kite dropped on the grass beside his car and he walked in with foil under one arm and looping the "strings" what do they call them?). he was packed into the car and gone in less time than it takes me to get the rig off my laser!!

Wish I had a waterproof phone (to video him) in my pocket!!

Impressive. I bet he made it all look sooooo easy too. Bastard! ;)

11 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

Parker's plan to use AC36 as the driver to move on the environmental disaster that's the tank farm is starting to come together - with the Labour lapdog Goff falling in step. Someone has been telling porkies if the government's option is cheaper than the other two - even with the high cost of decontamination of the tank sites.

Panuku is deafeningly silent..

4 hours ago, NZL4EVER said:

Plueeeze!  

The latest developments in this shitfight were ventilated three hours before your post. And in the logical thread, namely  in AC36 - The Venue

I'll be posting my thoughts and observations there. I hope you'll do the same to avoid split threads.

3 hours ago, Indio said:

Parker's plan to use AC36 as the driver to move on the environmental disaster that's the tank farm is starting to come together - with the Labour lapdog Goff falling in step. Someone has been telling porkies if the government's option is cheaper than the other two - even with the high cost of decontamination of the tank sites.

Panuku is deafeningly silent..

More likely someone's been talking porkies if the government's option is dearer!

But I digress 

The latest developments in this shitfight were ventilated three hours before your post. And in the logical thread, namely  in AC36 - The Venue

I'll be posting my thoughts and observations there. I hope you'll do the same to avoid split threads.

8 hours ago, Kiwing said:

he walked in with foil under one arm and looping the "strings" what do they call them?).

Lines.

Fugitive pirate involved in Sir Peter Blake's murder caught after 15 years on the run

One of the fugitive killers of record-breaking yachtsman Sir Peter Blake has been captured by police after more than 15 years on the run.

Jose Irandir Cardoso was arrested after military police who intercepted him at a routine stop on the Brazilian island of Marajo found he was carrying his brother's ID and discovered his true identity after checking his fingerprints at a local station.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11995692

Arsehole!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnyb said:

Arsehole

For darn sure but iirc Blake is who started the actual shooting, and this guy is not who shot back after Blake’s gun jammed.

1 hour ago, Stingray~~ said:

For darn sure but iirc Blake is who started the actual shooting, and this guy is not who shot back after Blake’s gun jammed.

Wtf? Victim blaming much?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stingray~~ said:

Nope, just relating what the articles say

stating facts still has implications... Especially when including a "but"

Female is assaulted - "but she was wearing skimpy clothes" may be a statement of fact - still implies blame see

2 hours ago, rh2600 said:

stating facts still has implications... Especially when including a "but"

Female is assaulted - "but she was wearing skimpy clothes" may be a statement of fact - still implies blame see

spinray is a black man with a huge block on each shoulder, whose credibility fluctuates with the temperature in whatever topic he can copy-'n-paste links to so that he doesn't have to think too much. Hence his blaming the victim foot-in-mouth comment on the murder of Sir Peter Blake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stingray~~ said:

Nope, just relating what the articles say

Still a pretty shitty thing to say. Blakes boat was boarded by guys with guns who weren't afraid to use them. 

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

Blakes boat was boarded by guys with guns who weren't afraid to use them. 

There’s no argument to be had there, even if this guy didn’t fire a shot he’s still an effing bastard for being any part of it.

A much bigger story would have been if the actual Blake murderer had been re-arrested.

What is the point of personal attack?  It only weakens the argument in most peoples eyes?

When will we see a boat in the water sailing?  Anyone got an intelligent guess?

^ wow that is pretty strong!  While I agree we should save as many lives as we can, I disagree with the method.

NZ has fewer guns and fewer murders, more cars and more road deaths, those drivers who cause death -> ?

Sorry TC you pushed a button?

I completely admit that some may disagree, in my country's justice system this guy would get away pretty well as we can't demonstrate he pulled the trigger.

There is not much gun control on the amazon and an honest sailor's life is worth more than these groups of assassins.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

Any arsehole of the group that killed Blake deserve capital punishment and we should begin with this one.

The example will save other sailors lifes.

Where is your evidence that capital punishment saves lives.

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

of course he would say that

odds are though that luna rossa and Quantum will be too new to foiling

the only real challenger's would be land rover i'd say, if they can get their shit together after last cycle, or Artemis if they rock up at all

Seems like one or more of the teams should hire Oracle Racing talent and perhaps purchase Oracle Racing tech IP. There's also a lot of talent from the other teams and from other foiling classes. It's going to be a real test as to which team figures out this frankenboat, though.

1 hour ago, inebriated said:

of course he would say that

the only real challenger's would be land rover i'd say, if they can get their shit together after last cycle, or Artemis if they rock up at all

Quantum racing, possibly, but Luna Rossa are NOT new to foiling. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Kiwing said:

^ wow that is pretty strong!  While I agree we should save as many lives as we can, I disagree with the method.

NZ has fewer guns and fewer murders, more cars and more road deaths, those drivers who cause death -> ?

Sorry TC you pushed a button?

No driver deliberately points a vehicle at someone and runs them over, in the way someone with a firearm aims and fires at his victims.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Where is your evidence that capital punishment saves lives.

It sure saves on prison costs.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Indio said:

It sure saves on prison costs.

Average stay on death row is 15 years.

Cost of prosecution averages $1.2m.

There are 2800 people on death row presently in the USA so do the maths.

Since 1973, 144 people on death row have been exonerated.

26 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Thanks. Interesting data from CA:

California

Assessment of Costs by Judge Arthur Alarcon and Prof. Paula Mitchell (2011, updated 2012)

The authors concluded that the cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978:

• $1.94 billion--Pre-Trial and Trial Costs
  • $925 million--Automatic Appeals and State Habeas Corpus Petitions
  • $775 million--Federal Habeas Corpus Appeals
  • $1 billion--Costs of Incarceration

The authors calculated that, if the Governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row to life without parole, it would result in an immediate savings of $170 million per year, with a savings of $5 billion over the next 20 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

Quantum racing, possibly, but Luna Rossa are NOT new to foiling. 

sure, they're not new, but they're nowhere near what any of the other teams got done last cycle

that is assuming that they don't get the big old leg up from ETNZ

"share a few designs" but we will all know which way the money went and which way the innovation went hahaha

1 hour ago, inebriated said:

sure, they're not new, but they're nowhere near what any of the other teams got done last cycle

that is assuming that they don't get the big old leg up from ETNZ

"share a few designs" but we will all know which way the money went and which way the innovation went hahaha

They are arguably further along than most, if not all of the other teams. They have shared design data with ETNZ for 2 cycles now and no doubt have insight into what worked last time with ETNZ. I would say Luna Rossa is possibly one of strongest teams in terms of foiling. To say "they're nowhere near what any of the other teams got done last cycle" is clearly fantasy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nroose said:

Seems like one or more of the teams should hire Oracle Racing talent and perhaps purchase Oracle Racing tech IP. There's also a lot of talent from the other teams and from other foiling classes. It's going to be a real test as to which team figures out this frankenboat, though.

Whatever talent, tech or IP Oracle has - it wasn't worth much to them in AC34... they would have lost the cup to at least one other challenger, I think even BAR would have given them a run for their money...

In any event the junk data is now redundant data that would be of little use to JC75 design teams...

There no doubt would be some diamonds in the rough in the team but they would have been looking for a move very quickly after the ber-bacle

5 hours ago, Indio said:

No driver deliberately points a vehicle at someone and runs them over, in the way someone with a firearm aims and fires at his victims.

Obviously the kind of thing that should be saved for PA but uuuh, not been paying attention to the news last couple of years? Turns out its easier & more effective than carbombs for ISIS etc to do just that.

8 hours ago, inebriated said:

Lol :lol:

LR foiled long before Orifice did & ETNZ won AC in part due to tech & talent donated by Bertelli when he pulled LR out of last AC.

1 hour ago, hoom said:

Turns out its easier & more effective than carbombs for ISIS etc to do just that.

Not in EnZed which was Kiwi's reference to the number of cars on our roads and our comparatively high road toll.

7 hours ago, hoom said:

Lol :lol:

LR foiled long before Orifice did & ETNZ won AC in part due to tech & talent donated by Bertelli when he pulled LR out of last AC.

Don't waste your time on the A4E sock

On 2/19/2018 at 4:53 AM, hoom said:

Finally.  :lol:

WetHog  :ph34r:

On 2/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, rh2600 said:

Whatever talent, tech or IP Oracle has - it wasn't worth much to them in AC34... they would have lost the cup to at least one other challenger, I think even BAR would have given them a run for their money...

In any event the junk data is now redundant data that would be of little use to JC75 design teams...

There no doubt would be some diamonds in the rough in the team but they would have been looking for a move very quickly after the ber-bacle

"I think even BAR would have given them a run for their money..."

Ouch!

2 hours ago, Barnyb said:

"I think even BAR would have given them a run for their money..."

Ouch!

Heh that wasn't supposed to be as much a dig at BAR as it was to suggest that the third placed challenger could have taken the defender, which is saying quite a lot IMHO ;-)

5 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Heh that wasn't supposed to be as much a dig at BAR as it was to suggest that the third placed challenger could have taken the defender, which is saying quite a lot IMHO ;-)

you don't think that softbank would be 3rd?

i'm not too sure, it would have been pretty close between the two

On 19/02/2018 at 1:02 PM, Priscilla said:

Seems you Septics are inefficient.

i saw in the paper today that ETNZ are testing / evaluating soft wing sail tech already.  

it was mounted on a tri. 

^ Many thanks for bringing back fond memories - in my advanced age I rue having burned so many bridges behind me, and being left without pictures of my own. Will be commenting technicalities in the Foilng Multihull thread, if you don't mind

49 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

This creepy interview made the headlines in Europe !

I don't think Australia has a monopoly of douche-bag tv personalities - it's pretty much par for the course these days...

But yes that was cringeworthy

On 27/02/2018 at 11:50 AM, Kiwi xtreme said:

It's good to see actual boats rather than computer simulations. It would be even better to see a boat of around 30 feet with articulated t-foils - maybe that will happen as well. Without successful test sails the new rule is more hope than science. 

But this testing is too late in the process of developing the rule. What if a test sail shows up a major problem? They would have to delay the rule. I suspect that the AC75 rule is going to require a lot of changes to be made to it.

7 hours ago, Fireball said:

It's good to see actual boats rather than computer simulations. It would be even better to see a boat of around 30 feet with articulated t-foils - maybe that will happen as well. Without successful test sails the new rule is more hope than science. 

But this testing is too late in the process of developing the rule. What if a test sail shows up a major problem? They would have to delay the rule. I suspect that the AC75 rule is going to require a lot of changes to be made to it.

It appears ETNZ is fucked either way then because in this forum some are complaining about testing occuring at all or testing too early whilst others are complaining there's isn't enough testing or doing so too late... ;-)

2 hours ago, rh2600 said:

It appears ETNZ is fucked either way then because in this forum some are complaining about testing occuring at all or testing too early whilst others are complaining there's isn't enough testing or doing so too late... ;-)

Don't worry about it - the only whingers are the london agreement tosspots and muppets without any team in AC36....come to think of it, they are one and the same whingers:lol:

Bit silent on the One day front.  Wow I backed Williamson to get 5 off the last two but nerves of steel from Woakes.

Hope Ben is made of the same stuff,

and we win the next one dayer!!

^ All that money and you don't even get clear instructions!?

image.png.6dce1c6e60d31fa8075cda70d3ee6339.png

Redacted functions :D (full sheet to be release upon purchase!)

So who's gonna grab it?

9 hours ago, nav said:

^ All that money and you don't even get clear instructions!?

image.png.6dce1c6e60d31fa8075cda70d3ee6339.png

Redacted functions :D (full sheet to be release upon purchase!)

So who's gonna grab it?

They don't say if this is a limited edition either. Probably be another one on TradeMe next week which could be a good way to fund their defence!

13 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

They don't say if this is a limited edition either. Probably be another one on TradeMe next week which could be a good way to fund their defence!

They did originally - said it was the one and only replica.

Someone asked about that and the 1/250 you can see in the display and although RNZYS has not directly answered the question, they have removed that sentence from the description. But I can not see them producing 250 copies and stands, well unless you are right and they are financing AC36 this way:D

The original, or a copy at least, should end up in the maritime museum - preferably 'hands on', connected to a VR AC50.

"Watch this dudes, no-look gybe!"

What I'd like to know is what clever little trick ETNZ has up their sleeve?  While they lead everyone a pretty dance with this sail diversion, what little loop hole have the left for a new innovation they have.  Like OR left a loop hole for semi foiling in AC34.

Is it

1) transition (tacking/gibing)  2) getting up foiling quickly  3) the most challenging is picking the right puff and keeping in the puff.  4) getting from puff to puff?  5) Clever low speed foiling?

My guess id non-cavitating foils which have a very low speed option.

Is keeping in the puff for the whole leg better than foiling out the front and trying for another puff?

Can you catch the next puff ahead while foiling down wind? do puffs travel in the same direction as the wind? What determines the speed a puff travels?

When foiling up wind what is the strategy? Jump from puff to puff or pick your puff for longevity?

These new sailing machines turn the world upside down!!

1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

Is keeping in the puff for the whole leg better than foiling out the front and trying for another puff?

Can you catch the next puff ahead while foiling down wind? do puffs travel in the same direction as the wind? What determines the speed a puff travels?

When foiling up wind what is the strategy? Jump from puff to puff or pick your puff for longevity?

These new sailing machines turn the world upside down!!

i think that picking course sides and puffs will still be and always be up to the skipper and crew, just because they cannot be accurately anticipated or documented, unless thousands of drones with wind readings were around the course and sending it to the boats, or if they recorded everything they say somehow into an algorithm

I guess I am asking is it better to foil slower and stay in the puff and reduce the chances of splash downs. Or fly thought the puff and limp to the next puff?

This depends on the speed of the puff to the mark, so not only do you have to find the puffs but also the fast puffs?

48 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

I guess I am asking is it better to foil slower and stay in the puff and reduce the chances of splash downs. Or fly thought the puff and limp to the next puff?

This depends on the speed of the puff to the mark, so not only do you have to find the puffs but also the fast puffs?

ok, yeah

would you think that there would be any development in auto main trim?

imagine if we saw a device like tukes on the mainsheet

as i said before though, the wind can be less predictable than foil trim

^ Yes and the new sail/mast might slow them just enough that riding a puff like a wave would be feasible.

Just that puffs are not as regular  as waves.

Kite sailors: if sailing a course do you ride the puff? and while there is much more stability out of the puff what is the speed difference (ball park)? 10% 50%.  I realize each day is different and I am asking a very general question but can you give a gut guess? please.