43 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Fascinating. Sounds like OTAUS focused on the pressure limit and built the (wrong) constrained solution. Gawd. All that processing time (powered by Oracle)  and all that money and down the wrong rathole,

Can be said of every team that doesn’t win. 

In the history of all AC challenges, there are tons of good boats that get dogged & discarded because they didn't win. But objectively were good and better than all other boats except 1 when it was put together.

No one who worked on Oracle should feel bad re the job they did quietly in the shadows - logistics, engineering, boat building and support people don't deserve that. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Miffy said:

In the history of all AC challenges, there are tons of good boats that get dogged & discarded because they didn't win. But objectively were good and better than all other boats except 1 when it was put together.

No one who worked on Oracle should feel bad re the job they did quietly in the shadows - logistics, engineering, boat building and support people don't deserve that. 

Point well taken and I am sorry for having inadvertently dissed those folks.  Wasn't thinking of them. Apologies to them.

But I am struck by the design choice that someone(s) made and I do wonder what alternatives were discarded/robustness analyses were done.  It's a complicated choice and ETNZ made a different one. 

As @Indio noted,

"The biggest edge ETNZ enjoyed with the cyclors was that they were able to design their optimum hydraulic system (hydraulic actuators (cylinders, motors,) to plumbing, electro-control valves, etc.) for their control system requirements, and then decided on the delivery source for the required power. They realised that grinders weren't going to do it, so the cyclors were born. We can see this clearly in the Match itself when they displayed the hydraulic system pressures on OR-Xerox and ETNZ. The Class Rule restricted the maximum system pressure to 350bar/5000psi. It looked like OR-Xerox designed theirs right to this limit, whereas ETNZ were green-lighting theirs at 210bar/3000psi - a very safe pressure which doesn't strain joints and couplings, etc. The other interesting implication of the different approaches: OR-Xerox were always struggling to recharge their system. This suggests they maximised their system pressure (shown by the displays shown at times) and opted to use smaller hydraulic cylinders (weight-saving? Speed?). ETNZ looked to have optimised their actuator sizing to balance the forces required against the speed of activation (Freddie Carr's famous "hummingbird wing" fluttering?) - because they knew how much power the cyclors could deliver. ETNZ would have used bigger cylinders at 210bar, but would not have suffered any activation speed penalty because of the higher hydraulic oil flow generated by the cyclors."

AR didn't seem to have the same problems with hydro, nor BAR, the French especially didn't seem to be puking on the handles.

Don't let your feelings for team OR get in the way of an otherwiSe fine day nac.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Indio said:

The fact they fitted a cyclor station belatedly makes ginger's claim a lie, but it didn't help them because of their hydraulic system design.

Because of the way their crew tasks were split & the need to unfold/fold it they only ever used it for a few pumps per lap -> even if it was an efficient hydraulic setup it was nearly entirely just more dead-weight on a heavy, draggy overall setup.

And we run again into the question: why did they go for the heavy, draggy setup with hiking out in the airflow after beating ETNZ at least partly because of having better aero.

When they saw that ETNZ had better aero & were quicker, their response was more weight & drag.

They could have at least tried sitting in & low for one race or even just a single leg to see if it helped but to the end of the final race they persisted with hiking out in the airflow and nobody has ever offered an explanation for it.

• Like 1

^ well the grinders tried to stay low, until they ran out of breath from being doubled over.

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Don't let your feelings for team OR get in the way of an otherwiSe fine day nac.

Good advice. Probably bad idea to be drunkposting before sunset on a Friday, but my feelings after AC34 were: 

"Yay! (Say it's not so...)

For AC35:

" If you are trading on being TEAM USA and chose to defend in a foreign country FOR MONEY then you fucking better win, you wankers."  

After AC35: Karma got you, assholes! 

Nothing like a brokenhearted woman fan, eh?

Have a great weekend. Mine has started :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barfy said:

AR didn't seem to have the same problems with hydro, nor BAR, the French especially didn't seem to be puking on the handles.

But they did. Both AR and BAR touched down more frequently because their hydraulic systems were not delivering the oil flow at the required pressure when needed. There's a limit to how fast grinders can rotate the pumps...

2 hours ago, hoom said:

Because of the way their crew tasks were split & the need to unfold/fold it they only ever used it for a few pumps per lap -> even if it was an efficient hydraulic setup it was nearly entirely just more dead-weight on a heavy, draggy overall setup.

And we run again into the question: why did they go for the heavy, draggy setup with hiking out in the airflow after beating ETNZ at least partly because of having better aero.

When they saw that ETNZ had better aero & were quicker, their response was more weight & drag.

They could have at least tried sitting in & low for one race or even just a single leg to see if it helped but to the end of the final race they persisted with hiking out in the airflow and nobody has ever offered an explanation for it.

=necessity.

1 hour ago, Indio said:

But they did. Both AR and BAR touched down more frequently because their hydraulic systems were not delivering the oil flow at the required pressure when needed. There's a limit to how fast grinders can rotate the pumps...

Perhaps I didn't notice any degradation, just finished watching up to the match again. More noticeable to me was OR dead in the water spinning like mad on a couple of occasions. Guess I'll have to watch again!

14 minutes ago, barfy said:

Perhaps I didn't notice any degradation, just finished watching up to the match again. More noticeable to me was OR dead in the water spinning like mad on a couple of occasions. Guess I'll have to watch again!

Beautiful sight wan't it? :D

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, barfy said:

As a design case study it'll be interesting to see the schematics on how the various hydraulics were designed and integrated. 

A lot of the assumptions were that all grinders contributed to the same network of systems and multiple accumulators. But I'm not sure that was necessarily the case. 

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

As a design case study it'll be interesting to see the schematics on how the various hydraulics were designed and integrated. 

A lot of the assumptions were that all grinders contributed to the same network of systems and multiple accumulators. But I'm not sure that was necessarily the case. 

It would be very interesting to say the least, and im sure we'll never see them. I do remember rumours that the f1 boyz were pretty interested in some witchery that tnz had wrought.

There was also the rumour that etnz went almost completely fibre optic for their boat; could be the junctions were a lot more salt water resistant, important for the way they threw their boat around. (Sarcasm font)

9 hours ago, barfy said:

It would be very interesting to say the least, and im sure we'll never see them. I do remember rumours that the f1 boyz were pretty interested in some witchery that tnz had wrought.

There was also the rumour that etnz went almost completely fibre optic for their boat; could be the junctions were a lot more salt water resistant, important for the way they threw their boat around. (Sarcasm font)

easy to see why. Only issue is cost. Would be the beez kneez for sensors and telemetry.

http://meroli.web.cern.ch/lecture_fibre_vs_copper.html

Ah ?

Team New Zealand 'in the dark' over America's Cup designs, says Glenn Ashby

"Ashby said it would be difficult to make major changes if April's racing in Sardinia exposed any problems.

"Effectively the pathway you've set has already been done – a lot of those decisions have been made over the last 12 to 18 months," he said."

"he claimed team boss Grant Dalton had been reported out of context in highlighting the dangers of sailing the AC75s. "

"They wont pitch-pole, you won't be dangling from 10 or 15 metres above the water, as we saw with a couple of boats in San Francisco, or going over the handle bars as in Bermuda.

"If they roll you will be sitting in the bath - it shouldn't be too bad."

Remains to be seen..., who is right, who is wrong, Dalton or Glenn ?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12253468

30 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ?

"Ashby said it would be difficult to make major changes if April's racing in Sardinia exposed any problems.

"Effectively the pathway you've set has already been done – a lot of those decisions have been made over the last 12 to 18 months," he said."

"he claimed team boss Grant Dalton had been reported out of context in highlighting the dangers of sailing the AC75s. "

"They wont pitch-pole, you won't be dangling from 10 or 15 metres above the water, as we saw with a couple of boats in San Francisco, or going over the handle bars as in Bermuda.

You read the bit about Dalton's comments being reported out of context, right?

I suspect they both think the design is great,

• Like 1

The real news bite is:

TNZ's first AC75 boat will hit the Waitemata Harbour in August or September, 

• Like 1

What absolutely kills me are folks so caught up in one particular design or class of rules they seem to salivate at the possibility that this boat class doesn't work. 

I mean... imagine if AC72 just disappeared and all went home after what happened to Oracle then later to Artemis with the tragic loss of Bart. Ian Percy lost his lifelong friends and sailing partner and kept sailing. 

So maybe stop being such partisan cunts and go away. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You read the bit about Dalton's comments being reported out of context, right?

You know what it means when a politician says that, right ?

Anyway, still very anxious to watch the boat sailing.

42 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You know that modern media commonly exploit hyperbole out of context to get clicks, right? ;-)

Clearly GD wasn't happy with how what he said was (mis)construed in the original article hence this new piece.

11 hours ago, Tropical Madness said:

easy to see why. Only issue is cost. Would be the beez kneez for sensors and telemetry.

http://meroli.web.cern.ch/lecture_fibre_vs_copper.html

They've used fibre optics strands since AC34 embedded in the hulls to measure and monitor loads and stresses, and in the wings. Data commands comms between the controllers and the handheld devices could have been fibre optics cables: what they save in the weight of the FO cable could be offset by the electro-optical electronics to convert light signals to electronic signals for the controllers.

21 hours ago, Miffy said:

The hydraulic system themselves would all have been very similar between the teams: there are only so many ways to generate hydraulic oil flow at pressure and how to route them to the actuators. The only difference would have been in the choice of hydraulic pumps which would have been dictated by the type of system selected.

The significant difference with ETNZ's system would have been in the electronic logic controllers running the servo-controlled and proportional control valves directing oil to the cylinders when needed - in most cases automatically, to compensate for leakages and to hold position under load (foils, wings). The "secret" to ETNZ's system is not the hydraulic system but their intuitive electronic control system which realised the full benefits of the cyclor-driven hydraulic system to deliver power at the designed speed to the actuators when needed.

The sailors in the Great Petulant Sailing circus may well be salivating at ETNZ's control system but it will be useless to their boats without ripping out the existing hydraulic system and replacing them. But if uncle Larry doesn't want to spend money on the systems,it might be a pointer to a short-lived existence of the circus.

5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

No, you’re right. Dalton thinks they’re dangerous and has publicly said so. Ashby disagrees, went to the media to set the record straight and used the cover story of Dalton being quoted out of context to avoid being fired. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

No, you’re right. Dalton thinks they’re dangerous and has publicly said so. Ashby disagrees, went to the media to set the record straight and used the cover story of Dalton being quoted out of context to avoid being fired. -_-

FIFY, added a sarcasm font for Tornado-Rat.

• Like 1

@Ex-yachtie nonsense mate, absolute nonsense.

The Herald are the Masters of dodgy quoting. At most there is probably a bit of difference in what Dalton means by "dangerous" from the point of view of a layperson watching on telly, to what Ashby means when he talks about actual danger to the sailors.

21 minutes ago, meanermachine said:

@Ex-yachtie nonsense mate, absolute nonsense.

The Herald are the Masters of dodgy quoting. At most there is probably a bit of difference in what Dalton means by "dangerous" from the point of view of a layperson watching on telly, to what Ashby means when he talks about actual danger to the sailors.

I assume you posted this before @Fiji Bitter added the sarcasm font?

12 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ?

This is somewhat helpful but it's secondhand news.  That is, an unnamed Herald reporter repeating stuff he heard on  Radio Sport's with Jim Kayes interviewing Ashby.

It would be good to listen to the whole interview instead of the Herald cherry-picking,  So far, I've been unable to locate it on Radio Sport website.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

This is somewhat helpful but it's secondhand news.  That is, an unnamed Herald reporter repeating stuff he heard on  Radio Sport's with Jim Kayes interviewing Ashby.

It would be good to listen to the whole interview instead of the Herald cherry-picking,  So far, I've been unable to locate it on Radio Sport website.

It would be interesting if you can locate it.

We know that most medias cherry pick words for sensational news, however Dalton seems pretty much aligned with Aaron Young.

At the end the boat will be fast and tricky, so the press will cherry pick words depending on what aspect they want for more attracting titles.

• Like 1

Just now, Tornado-Cat said:

It would be interesting if you can locate it.

We know that most medias cherry pick words for sensational news, however Dalton seems pretty much aligned with Aaron Young.

At the end the boat will be fast and tricky, so the press will cherry pick words depending on what aspect they want for more attracting titles.

Agreed. I believe Aaron Young more than snarky GAshby.

• Downvote 4

50 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well this Clearly demonstrates your personal encounters with GA.......

GA is many things.

Snarky he is NOT

• Like 7

10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Aww he's feeling lonely because no ones talking to him in his SailGP thread haha.

@dg_sailingfan you're a piece of shit.

• Like 3

Ashby is one of the most respected and admired sailors in the world, and from what I've seen in his interviews, just a really nice guy as well. For the Turd to besmirch him is just shit trolling to try to get a rise from Kiwis.

• Like 1

^ it's just being a prolly clown. 

Edit: a sad snarky prolly clown

PAYASO LLORANDO.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 7:15 AM, barfy said:

The real news bite is:

TNZ's first AC75 boat will hit the Waitemata Harbour in August or September, 

As soon as we see chase boats and/or a crane appearing at the Viaduct, we'll all know that the first outing is imminent. To date, there's been no sign of either. There doesn't even appear to be a place to moor the AC75 down there as yet. We can only deduce from this that launch date is still 3-6 weeks away at best. More than likely, there will be heightened press activity and a video or two drop just before the launch. 

I dont need Viagra right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sea420 said:

As soon as we see chase boats and/or a crane appearing at the Viaduct, we'll all know that the first outing is imminent. To date, there's been no sign of either. There doesn't even appear to be a place to moor the AC75 down there as yet. We can only deduce from this that launch date is still 3-6 weeks away at best. More than likely, there will be heightened press activity and a video or two drop just before the launch. 

I dont need Viagra right now.

Pontoons are in and accessible.  There's been a bit of movement down there with containers and screens (literally and figuratively), but you're right, no sign of anything that can do any lifting. 

IMG_8004.jpeg

As there's no wing mast to lift on and off after every day on the water I doubt they'll go to the expense of setting up a tower crane like they did for last time. I suspect they'll just use a mobile crane and just have it rock up on an as and when needed basis. There's a couple in the background.....

1 minute ago, Woolfy said:

As there's no wing mast to lift on and off after every day on the water I doubt they'll go to the expense of setting up a tower crane like they did for last time. I suspect they'll just use a mobile crane and just have it rock up on an as and when needed basis. There's a couple in the background.....

They’re building the wharf extension. 

They’ll need a crane every day they go sailing, morning and night. 

Yeah but it could be a mobile, could even be shared between the teams to help keep costs down further. 

Sorry I wasn't suggesting cranes in background were there for lifting boats in and out, just pointing out that they were there..... Some posters seem to think we're so backward in NZ they might think mobile cranes hadn't arrived here yet.;)

2 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Some posters seem to think we're so backward in NZ they might think mobile cranes hadn't arrived here yet.;)

Well, we all know that the UK is 10 years behind Europe, AUS 10 behind UK, and ... NZ 10 behind AUS.

Oh wait, this is the Team NZ thread, so let me say that generally speaking that is true, except in sailing. In sailing it is just the other way round!  B)

47 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Well, we all know that the UK is 10 years behind Europe, AUS 10 behind UK, and ... NZ 10 behind AUS.

Oh wait, this is the Team NZ thread, so let me say that generally speaking that is true, except in sailing. In sailing it is just the other way round!  B)

And cricket. And netball. And rugby. And human rights. And anti-corruption.

And private space programmes. We’re petty good at private space programmes. 

But that’s pretty much all. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

No, in general Central Otago wines are better and better value than California wines.

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

What about our sheep? Much coveted 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Who here remembers checking out ETNZ activity from the roof top web cam during the lead up to Bermuda? When the crane go active we all new the boat was out for the day - good times :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Cricket and netball is for spastics. Rugby 7, NZ is 10 tries behind Fiji. Human rights and anti-corruption just like any "civilized" country.

And private space, the female kind at least, is pretty hot, that's why I'm rooting for New Zealand!

And that's not all, nicknames like Moose, Rat, Master, Grunter, and finally taking the piss and drinking piss, and AC, you win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

No, in general Central Otago wines are better and better value than California wines.

And some popular Aussie ones as well.

6 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Our banking and EFTPOS is also pretty fantastic, although now all owned by Autralians!  I am in Japan now and banking is positively third world here! I kid you not I actually have a bankbook no less!

I haven't needed one of those in New Zealand for a couple of decades!

31 minutes ago, Boybland said:

Our banking and EFTPOS is also pretty fantastic, although now all owned by Autralians!  I am in Japan now and banking is positively third world here! I kid you not I actually have a bankbook no less!

I haven't needed one of those in New Zealand for a couple of decades!

Try getting a bank account in the UK. You pretty much need a note from the queen. 

38 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Try getting a bank account in the UK. You pretty much need a note from the queen. 

Whereas in you New Zealand you just need a banknote with the queen on it! :P

23 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Pontoons are in and accessible.  There's been a bit of movement down there with containers and screens (literally and figuratively), but you're right, no sign of anything that can do any lifting. 

IMG_8004.jpeg

A few good crankys in the background there ;)

So going by the fence and the pontoons, I was slightly confused as to how they will be launching the boats.

Do we assume that they won't use travel-lifts due to the arms, and will instead use a crane? 

That distance from the main wharf to the water seems further than they had for the 72 and 50?

I thought the point was they were not craning in and out because no wingsails?

58 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I thought the point was they were not craning in and out because no wingsails?

Nah, they'll be craning in and out daily, keeps the bum clean and means they can tweak/ change foils for the conditions. 

The big plus with no wing masts is they'll have the option to leave the rig in when lifting.

2 hours ago, meanermachine said:

So going by the fence and the pontoons, I was slightly confused as to how they will be launching the boats.

Do we assume that they won't use travel-lifts due to the arms, and will instead use a crane? 

That distance from the main wharf to the water seems further than they had for the 72 and 50?

Yeah. I can only assume they will crane in. The boats are light enough now. ETNZ had a little permanent crane in Bermuda, didn’t they?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woolfy said:

The big plus with no wing masts is they'll have the option to leave the rig in when lifting.

And of course not having a full main up in a stiff breeze while ten metres up on one wire will reduce the crane operators pucker factor.

• Like 1

These things are a high performance bit of kit. They'll be in the shed every night. Checked over, modified, cleaned and put to bed carefully. Oh, dont forget to charge the batteries.

Was just by in front of the base, looks like a new chase boat parked up with 4 fo big engines...way too far off for a picture tho.

5 hours ago, barfy said:

Was just by in front of the base, looks like a new chase boat parked up with 4 fo big engines...way too far off for a picture tho.

Just posted on ETNZ FB page. 

63F75518-A528-4036-8626-AB1609A814AC.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Just posted on ETNZ FB page. 

63F75518-A528-4036-8626-AB1609A814AC.jpeg

Getting close!!

• Like 2

Kiwibank appears to have some significant prominence too

43 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

significant prominence

Hmmm, probably should be one or the other, but both sounds funny.....yes I'm bored as there seems to be eff all happening at the moment in AC world. The launch of Rudolf the Red nosed Rib is mildly interesting.

10 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Getting close!!

Love the prominence of OMEGA in the Main Event versus Rolex opting for the Petulant 50s. And Yanmar jumped across to stay with the winners :D

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Are those Mercury engines? :)

You just had to bring that up!  As an owner of a shitload of Brunswick stock, it annoys me to know I’m accidentally sponsoring ETNZ. At least as an engineer at Merc, I feel better knowing those are nice, but old motors. Those aren’t the good toys!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

At least they went evil American lol

Those are leftovers from the last cup cycle. They obviously don’t need the chase boat to go any faster than last cycle. 

3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Those are leftovers from the last cup cycle. They obviously don’t need the chase boat to go any faster than last cycle. 

They couldn't keep up last time, realised they didn't actually need to anyway ;-)

• Like 1

Just now, rh3000 said:

They couldn't keep up last time, realised they didn't actually need to anyway ;-)

Then they need bigger, lighter engines. We make hundreds a day that would smoke the ones on that RIB.   

Honestly, if that RIB couldn’t do fifty knots in the same seas as an AC50, it’s a shit design. 

12 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Then they need bigger, lighter engines. We make hundreds a day that would smoke the ones on that RIB.   

Honestly, if that RIB couldn’t do fifty knots in the same seas as an AC50, it’s a shit design. 

Welllll that was said in jest but TBH 50knots+ isn't easy in a decent sized RIB that can provide support, tow and right the boat too...

The Protector is by no means a shit design, and with 3 x Verados can only just get to 50, to say nothing of rough weather.

Of course we are talking about over 50 knots here ;-) 

7 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Welllll that was said in jest but TBH 50knots+ isn't easy in a decent sized RIB that can provide support, tow and right the boat too...

The Protector is by no means a shit design, and with 3 x Verados can only just get to 50, to say nothing of rough weather.

Of course we are talking about over 50 knots here ;-) 

4 Verados actually. And you missed my humor. We own Protector as well. That boat could easily pace an AC50. It’s just a question of how much punishment the riders are up for. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

4 Verados actually. And you missed my humor. We own Protector as well. That boat could easily pace an AC50. It’s just a question of how much punishment the riders are up for. 

Fair enough - I had used this article as reference for 3 verados @ 50 :-)

http://protectorribs.com/news/special-fishing-protectors-launched

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Nope. These are new boats I reckon. Both the hull and deck look to be different than the last iteration. These things look like they'll be faster, much faster. 1000HP last time verses 1600HP now. The big Z sticker on the front hints that the fuel at least is covered.

16 minutes ago, Sea420 said:

Nope. These are new boats I reckon. Both the hull and deck look to be different than the last iteration. These things look like they'll be faster, much faster. 1000HP last time verses 1600HP now. The big Z sticker on the front hints that the fuel at least is covered.

If that’s the case, Grant must be shopping for deals. Those are the old graphics for 400’s. We still use them for 350 on down with the old Verados, but it’s been awhile since a 400 looked like that. At least a year. 

Edit:  He should’ve gone for the new 400. Lighter, less maintenance, and better fuel economy. 

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

If that’s the case, Grant must be shopping for deals. Those are the old graphics for 400’s. We still use them for 350 on down with the old Verados, but it’s been awhile since a 400 looked like that. At least a year. 

Edit:  He should’ve gone for the new 400. Lighter, less maintenance, and better fuel economy. 

I guess if Z are supplying the fuel FOC the engine economy is less of a concern.

8 hours ago, Monkey said:

He should’ve gone for the new 400. Lighter, less maintenance, and better fuel economy. 

That's what all the girls say

Folic arms have arrived at the boat building facility.

2 hours ago, Sea420 said:

Folic arms have arrived at the boat building facility.

Interesting that the boat builder doing all the talking says "we have a couple of weeks to get them into shape" at the 0:50 mark.  guess this reveals a bit about their timeline for sailing.

3 hours ago, shoeby11 said:

Interesting that the boat builder doing all the talking says "we have a couple of weeks to get them into shape" at the 0:50 mark.  guess this reveals a bit about their timeline for sailing.

What does he mean by "into shape" ?  that they solved to problem by sending unfinished material ? A few weeks is not a minor delay and could involve not piercing but drying layers or solving delamination probliem. Do we know more ? I guess TE will get inside info.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

What does he mean by "into shape" ?  that they solved to problem by sending unfinished material ? A few weeks is not a minor delay and could involve not piercing but drying layers or solving delamination probliem. Do we know more ? I guess TE will get inside info.

It's pretty simple - they got the arms yesterday and the boss wants the boat on the water in two weeks time.

They still need to do fairings, foils, plumbing for any foil flaps, paint, mount, test and shakedown... Not a huge amount of time

What would TE know... What delamination problem?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

TE will get inside info.

Really? Who gave him an inside line? That's like saying dg will know what's happening in short order. Yeah right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Jeez the rear of the foils are unfinished as it is the area that the teams can apply fairings to

The front shiney but cannot be touched hence the raw carbon finish to the rest of it.

its not hard to grasp.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Jeez the rear of the foils are unfinished as it is the area that the teams can apply fairings to

The front shiney but cannot be touched hence the raw carbon finish to the rest of it.

its not hard to grasp.

Some are struggling with your common sense

But I'm sure they'll get there eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

its not hard to grasp.

Your "not hard to grasp" coming from a video would be more credible if you had remembered you had told us that you had friends working there......JALhzeimer.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

the rear of the foils are unfinished as it is the area that the teams can apply fairings to

It does make me wonder what trailing edge wizardry could be thunk up. Certainly a shape that morphs from the vertical to the near horizontal span ( assuming they are in full down racing position) would be expected. Remember some fantastic foil profile shots from 35, all oil on water reflections and mad alien twist.

It'll certainly be a while until someone gets close enough to the mean arms and huge wings on the ac75, last cycles best shots were kinda by accident, mihbda getting a tour with a mean camera.

I'm for a clause in the protocol where at the end of the match there is one day for press to crawl over the boats, shoot all the secret sauce, and have one guy answering all questions. Imagine how much shit talk we could indulge in if everyone had actual facts to discuss? Seriously, drip feed it out,build a buzz, maybe no need for an acws to keep the momentum. 

Like a Steely Dan, these arms are giant steam powered dildos that are going to cut a gash large and wide into the Waitemata. So large in fact that it could swallow up all the speculation and garbage spouted here.

Only because he massively under estimated our ability to spout speculation and garbage thereby making it unbelievable.