Not sure Burling and Tuke are essential in anyway for initial tow testing and there will almost certainly be backups for both their positions.

40 minutes ago, Boybland said:

Not sure Burling and Tuke are essential in anyway for initial tow testing and there will almost certainly be backups for both their positions.

ETNZ is bigger than any one individual anyway - and if the boat can't be put thru its paces without Burling or Tuke on board, there's something wrong with the boat and team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

ETNZ is bigger than any one individual anyway - and if the boat can't be put thru its paces without Burling or Tuke on board, there's something wrong with the boat and team. 

Ray Davies and Glen Ashby were largely responsible for helming/ wing trimming duties while Pete and Blair were training for the Olympics last time. No reason why that shouldn't/ wouldn't happen this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boybland said:

Damn thing might just sail itself for a while. It would be safer and if etnz has been listening to tc and dg they well may go down that route.

Christ on a bike, I can't believe anyone looked at those SQUARE ended foil arms and didn't click as to the fact they would need some further finishing in the shop.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meanermachine said:

A bit of a teaser from ETNZ... Speculate away!

https://twitter.com/EmiratesTeamNZ/status/1163602476878057472?s=09

Well, there has been a bit of an equalizer. Any wagers for who splashes first? 

I'm gonna go with etnz. Even tho it's probably rude as the host to be first in the pool, they seem awful keen, and may not have been roaring around in a surrogate. Thinking of it as an icebreaker, if anyone is gonna look foolish smashing that big boat around they will take the heat. ( actually I know they give a fuck for anything but winning...fairly)

Ben next I reckon.

2 minutes ago, inebriated said:

looks ugly

take notes from Artemis on how to make a good looking boat

"make a good looking boat, and never get into the Americas cup final"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rskiff said:

"make a good looking boat, and never get into the Americas cup final"

Harsh but fair

• Like 1

If what we're being led to believe then ETNZ should have been last to receive their arms so in theory they should be last to launch, the exception of course being S&S as by all accounts they're not even building at the moment.

1 minute ago, Woolfy said:

If what we're being led to believe then ETNZ should have been last to receive their arms so in theory they should be last to launch, the exception of course being S&S as by all accounts they're not even building at the moment.

agree, and if ETNZ does launch earlier than any of the others, then the bullshit that was spouted on here how the delay of arms is causing other teams from launching as early as April.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, inebriated said:

looks ugly

Artemis should take notes from the Kiwi's on how to win.

1 hour ago, inebriated said:

looks ugly

Haven't seen many images of Artemis' AC75 as yet......

12 minutes ago, inebriated said:

kiwi's mad cuz their boat looks like ayssssss

The Artemis boat looks even better...oh wait.

By the way, when was the last time they won the AC? Hmmmm

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The Artemis boat looks even better...oh wait.

By the way, when was the last time they won the AC? Hmmmm

KIWI'S MAD BECAUSE THEIR BOAT LOOKS LIKE AYSSSSSS

I can tell you who's boat's also gonna look better

luna rossa

they make sex machines

shame they can't sail fast though

• Like 1

Boat doesn't need to be pretty, the foils on the other hand....they should be very pretty and do their job.

41 minutes ago, inebriated said:

KIWI'S MAD BECAUSE THEIR BOAT LOOKS LIKE AYSSSSSS

I can tell you who's boat's also gonna look better

luna rossa

they make sex machines

shame they can't sail fast though

Kiwi's aren't mad, quite the opposite.

Spoken like a true loser! "I got my ass kicked but at least I looked pretty" lol

11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Kiwi's aren't mad, quite the opposite.

Spoken like a true loser! "I got my ass kicked but at least I looked pretty" lol

I didn't lose.

I wasn't on a boat.

I wasn't on a team.

I don't think its all that hard to make a boat look good, that's all.

just find a good colour, and paint the whole boat that colour.

Artemis did it, looked good.

5 minutes ago, inebriated said:

I didn't lose.

I wasn't on a boat.

I wasn't on a team.

I don't think its all that hard to make a boat look good, that's all.

just find a good colour, and paint the whole boat that colour.

Artemis did it, looked good.

like this one?  

*shrug*

Artemis had the most boring AC50 of an entire lineup of boring clone boats, not sure why anyone would look to that for inspiration and their AC72 is probably best left unmentioned all things considered.

• Like 1

fucking suck my ass all of you kiwi fans

all I'm saying is someone obviously put a lot of time and effort into coming up with that design and it doesn't look as good as more simple designs from the past

HERHERHERHERHERHERHERHER though

"this guy doesn't like the paint job so I DON'T LIKE HIM"

can't we have an intelligent discussion on how to make boats look good

discussions aren't Sclarke's way though, so here you go

and how the fuck was Artemis more boring than SoftBank

32 minutes ago, inebriated said:

fucking suck my ass all of you kiwi fans

all I'm saying is someone obviously put a lot of time and effort into coming up with that design and it doesn't look as good as more simple designs from the past

HERHERHERHERHERHERHERHER though

"this guy doesn't like the paint job so I DON'T LIKE HIM"

can't we have an intelligent discussion on how to make boats look good

discussions aren't Sclarke's way though, so here you go

and how the fuck was Artemis more boring than SoftBank

I'll give that, they are both very boring, as I said "clone boats" not sure that helps the Artemis argument much...

5 hours ago, meanermachine said:

A bit of a teaser from ETNZ... Speculate away!

https://twitter.com/EmiratesTeamNZ/status/1163602476878057472?s=09

I walked past today. Very quiet. Not even many cars in the lot. Most of the sailors are in Japan. The rest of the team are probably packing polystyrene around the hull in Albany. 

I'll go out in a limb and predict ETNZ's boat won't be out on the water until the very end of this month or very early next.

26 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I'll go out in a limb and predict ETNZ's boat won't be out on the water until the very end of this month or very early next.

Yeah. Not so much of a stretch.

No sailors. Shit weather for testing 50% of your potential, very expensive, innovative boats. Last with foil arms. Best tested simulator. 

Read today’s twitter post as a taunt to other teams. 

31 minutes ago, donaldboyer said:

Where in Albany is the build facility? Google Maps anyone?

The odd thing is the crate the foil arms came in was addressed to Halsey Street - you can see it in HD freeze frame...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

The odd thing is the crate the foil arms came in was addressed to Halsey Street - you can see it in HD freeze frame...

I think the Foil Arms were delivered to the Build facility in Albany. In the video, the first few seconds shows the delivery truck and there are residential houses in the back ground and a Cabbage tree just in front of the truck. There aren't any trees around the Events Centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNtqLndtpv4&t=14s

What I was going to say was are they going to take delivery of the boat at the base mostly assembled?

Where is the build facility exactly?

12 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Didn’t get unpacked there though (according to the video).

Just now, donaldboyer said:

I think the Foil Arms were delivered to the Build facility in Albany. In the video, the first few seconds shows the delivery truck and there are residential houses in the back ground and a Cabbage tree just in front of the truck. There aren't any trees around the Events Centre.

What I was going to say was are they going to take delivery of the boat at the base mostly assembled?

Where is the build facility exactly?

I don’t know the location of their yard but you wouldn’t transport the boat with the arms fitted. They’re pretty gangly things, even in the water. 

4 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I walked past today. Very quiet. Not even many cars in the lot. Most of the sailors are in Japan. The rest of the team are probably packing polystyrene around the hull in Albany. 

Wrong. The boat is at the Viaduct. 

20190820_224816.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sea420 said:

This is a handsome boat. 

It's only me that see a little bit of Alinghi in the sail paint job'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ITA602 said:

It's only me that see a little bit of Alinghi in the sail paint job'

Or the Carolina Hurricanes.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Don't get fooled.  The link has views of all of the team boats.  They all have the same boat and sail shapes, just changes in the graphics.

Don't get fooled...so do the F50's.

6 hours ago, Sea420 said:

20190820_224816.jpg

Great news! But that's two weeks away.  It's still in Albany.

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Really? Have you seen the boat in Albany? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sea420 said:

Launching it in a couple of weeks suggests the boat's already being worked on at the viaduct. Probably been there for a few more weeks..

5 hours ago, WetHog said:

Or the Carolina Hurricanes.  

Yes, definitely this

3 hours ago, Sea420 said:

No. Have you seen it at Halsey Street?

5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:
11 hours ago, Sea420 said:

20190820_224816.jpg

They snuck it all up to the Bay of Islands overnight and will be quietly testing off Matteo de Nora's front lawn for the next 10 days. Will keep an eye out and post any pics I get.

7 hours ago, Indio said:

Launching it in a couple of weeks suggests the boat's already being worked on at the viaduct. Probably been there for a few more weeks..

Not long now.

They swished it down there one dark night. Just like the baggy sweat pants, the padded jerseys. That's why entz is so much fun, you never ever get a handle on what's actually the state of play. Even if they let you see it. Even if they line up and race you. Surprise!

Of course it's there weeks away from splash.

23 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

the design is the same

Chevalier just drew the website design, versions with the different teams logos.

Obviously that doesn't represent any actual team designs.

• Like 1

Right so to summarise. The boat is at the Viaduct, launch event is at an annoying early morning time on 6 September.

All good news but i'm mostly pissed off that we didn't get a transport video or teaser! Maybe they've gone for a very innovative design....

Correct.

who would have thought trucks could work at night moving things ?

On 8/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, hoom said:

Chevalier just drew the website design, versions with the different teams logos.

Obviously that doesn't represent any actual team designs.

But of course!

We're not talking here about boat design.  We're discussing boat graphics!

Which raises the interesting, if minor question of which team has the best boat graphics.

+  American Magic is flat and grey.

+  Luna Rossa is dull and uninspired, despite single sponsorship. Where's the Italian flair?

+ Stars & Stripes is looking for inspiration as well as money

+ ETNZ is colourful but cluttered. One of the drawbacks of multiple sponsorships.

+ I'd have to give the prize to the Brits.  Bold, simple and eye-catching.  Of course only one sponsor helps

• Like 1

Coming from a graphic design background I find the bar for AC boat graphics incredibly low.

Anyone beholden to sponsors is screwed. Sorry ETNZ, but the logo-cloud in any of your design layouts is an abomination. As for the (circa 2006) geometric graphics?  - shudder -

Luna Rosa - shit guys, you should know better ... and what's with that mirror silver? Fucking horrible.

I think Artemis in AC35 has had the best look in the last decade. Simple. White text over a solid blue ... classic.

But as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder .....

• Like 1

Emirates Team New Zealand brought to you by the Carolina Hurricanes.

I like it.

Hurricanes.jpg

Hurricanes_1.jpg

That picture was posted in the S&S thread. I have a hard time believing it though. 

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Is this really the Michigan built (?) boat for S+S????

1 hour ago, JoeBleaux said:

That picture was posted in the S&S thread. I have a hard time believing it though. 

Thanks for that....

1 hour ago, Pesky's Pole said:

You are an idiot

Care to elaborate? Found this in the S&S thread. Certainly making some assumptions.

Only a cunt would use the insignia of the SAS in their profile picture. 

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

TE: splashing of TNZ sept 6

Old news.  Someone’s posted something, somewhere saying it’s live telecast on TVNZ.

Glad TE’s caught up though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Their link to entering is broken...

33510176-0917-4029-BBBA-5282058B21A0.jpeg

Yup the comp only opens Monday, someone posted the terms page prematurely...

Shades of NZ budget leak! ;-)

10 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Yup the comp only opens Monday, someone posted the terms page prematurely...

Shades of NZ budget leak! ;-)

Looks like Treasury’s involved at a number of levels.

21 hours ago, Sea420 said:

Only a cunt would use the insignia of the SAS in their profile picture. 

Calm down.

I will say that I've had it for about a decade and older me isn't quite as gung ho as the younger one. I fully admire the role they play, buy if you have a legitimate reason to object to my profile picture, I'll change it.

from https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/115232208/team-nz-in-final-countdown-to-launch-of-radical-new-americas-cup-boat (but not in the quotes)

‘Team New Zealand are also starting to construct a test boat to help their ongoing design and build process because the first AC75 will spend so much of the next year away on container ships and racing in the America's Cup World Series in the northern hemisphere that starts at Cagliari in Italy next April.’

12 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

from https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/115232208/team-nz-in-final-countdown-to-launch-of-radical-new-americas-cup-boat (but not in the quotes)

‘Team New Zealand are also starting to construct a test boat to help their ongoing design and build process because the first AC75 will spend so much of the next year away on container ships and racing in the America's Cup World Series in the northern hemisphere that starts at Cagliari in Italy next April.’

Interesting.  They obviously see benefit in the test boat's they've been watching.  I suspect they'll design a test boat that more closely resembles the rule, rather than modifying something else to make do.

27 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Just more old news...pay attention. 

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Good piece from Duncan. Nice to see construction of test boat confirmed. Team talked about it some time ago but nothing has emerged since.  Building should be well advanced, though playing second fiddle to Boat #1.

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

from

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12261383

It is understood Team New Zealand will get their own AC75 in the water slightly earlier, with a launch planned for the morning of September 6. However, the team were yet to announce their launch schedule.

Feh!  Pretty pathetic reporting. Zero news here. Christopher Reive knocked this one off from clippings in the Herald library. Never stirred from his desk. He should hew to the boots-on-the-ground reporting maxim and get himself down to the Viaduct Basin two or three times a week and start cultivating contacts. 

But thanks anyway Stingers. I had missed this one online.

10 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

from

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12261383

It is understood Team New Zealand will get their own AC75 in the water slightly earlier, with a launch planned for the morning of September 6. However, the team were yet to announce their launch schedule.

Bernasconi says "We are the only team that haven't launched a test boat.”

I must have missed Stars & Stripes test boat. Can anyone Point me in the right direction to get some details or pics of it ?

Or is that finally the admission that they’re officially done or actually never really were ?

12 hours ago, Flippin Out said:

Bernasconi says "We are the only team that haven't launched a test boat.”

I must have missed Stars & Stripes test boat. Can anyone Point me in the right direction to get some details or pics of it ?

Or is that finally the admission that they’re officially done or actually never really were ?

I never got why they were all propping this one up. It was and is still kind of like Weekend at Bernie's.

1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

I never got why they were all propping this one up. It was and is still kind of like Weekend at Bernie's.

I really don't know. I dither among: no clue, some NZ money thing, and "they are the chosen ones and will win the Cup."

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I really don't know. I dither among: no clue, some NZ money thing, and "they are the chosen ones and will win the Cup."

Some ETNZ money-thing is another possibility, with the chance to sell more design support or even equipment.

Unfortunately there simply ‘is no there there’ with this ‘team.’ No matter how few or many millions short, the time is already far too-long gone to get an organization built out properly. 

Ah Jeez. Could it be that Bernasconi simply knows Stars + Stripes are a small start-up team which is highly unlikely to win first time round? Given Stars + Stripes have purchased a design package from ETNZ, they will know exactly where Stars + Stripes are at in their design program, and what the potential for that design is. 

The other big 3 are unknown. The big 3 have the potential to beat Team NZ, which is where ETNZ will have focused their attention. This is what Bernasconi meant when he said "we are the only team to not launch a test boat. Sheesh, you guys are so sensitive...everything is a conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The other big 3 are unknown. The big 3 ...

Is that like the ‘Super’ teams? How does ‘big’ or ‘Super’ differentiate those 3 Challengers from any other Challengers, since in reality there are only 3 Challenger teams? Yes, they are decent teams but the differentiation is completely meaningless.