8 minutes ago, MasterRobin said:

While there are parts of the hull that look like a concave tunnel, they are all sloped/angled toward the "keel" so that they meet the hull rule.  And looks like indents are allowed near the foils.

11.6 At any transverse cross-section through the hull lower surface:
(a) no horizontal line shall cut the cross-section more than twice; and
(b) no vertical line shall cut the cross-section more than once below MWP.
Parts of a cross-section within cylindrical regions of length 4.000 m and diameter 1.250 m centred on each
foil cant reference point, and whose axes are aligned with the foil cant axes, are excluded from this Rule.

hollows are described/limited in a flat state so are permited in a heeled state neat trick

11.6 At any transverse cross-section through the hull lower surface:
(a) no horizontal line shall cut the cross-section more than twice; and

2nd Boats

So we know that all 4 boats will be launched by Mid October and the firs 2 we have pictures of look different !

The respective design teams will then be running ALL of these design concepts through their own VPP /Simulator. This may result in some fuck I missed that moments … or may not.

They will then be calibrating there VPP/simulator from there own Known Data and there spied data all this information will be put into the new design for there second boats they may think they know now what this second boat will look like but would be mad to commit as the gain of a late start superfast build fly boat to NZ is far too great considering the potential gains.

I do not think the second boats will be started until early summer with a launch for Christmas regatta in New Zealand. They will know how to sail these flying gekkos by then and this ensures the maximum sailing time and the maximum design time.

The Boat ones that have gone down a wrong alley can be modified by 25% which is a lot and could look like totally different boat by the time of Sardinia

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hairyharford said:

2nd Boats

So we know that all 4 boats will be launched by Mid October and the firs 2 we have pictures of look different !

The respective design teams will then be running ALL of these design concepts through their own VPP /Simulator. This may result in some fuck I missed that moments … or may not.

They will then be calibrating there VPP/simulator from there own Known Data and there spied data all this information will be put into the new design for there second boats they may think they know now what this second boat will look like but would be mad to commit as the gain of a late start superfast build fly boat to NZ is far too great considering the potential gains.

I do not think the second boats will be started until early summer with a launch for Christmas regatta in New Zealand. They will know how to sail these flying gekkos by then and this ensures the maximum sailing time and the maximum design time.

The Boat ones that have gone down a wrong alley can be modified by 25% which is a lot and could look like totally different boat by the time of Sardinia

Both designs fall way short of what will be used in the final ....  NZ wins the graphics so far - looks the part !

9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

69541348_3303333433025019_25393168258338

Cool looking boat.  From the side it resembles a humpback whale.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Humpback Whale.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, just wow.

Really interesting hull shape - but not as RAN "Bowed" from in front - as the side profile hints. Would the Hull tunnels be set to work with windward heel rather than leeward heel?

The foil arm dimples are quite reminiscent of the VO70 hull treatments of the Juan boats - but here for more aggressive articulation requirements.

The triangulation of the  top rudder bearing hints at the enormous loads that these parts will be seeing. Rear deck is the new "Pie Cooler".

The profile of the foil arms is really interesting - seeing how it shinks rapidly in cross section and plan form - allowing much reduced drag - so expect to see them trying to mode the boat to fly on higher altitude on reduced immersion of these arms downwind - where leeway is less required but deliberately lower altitude upwind - more immersion with significantly more planform where upwind bite is required - cant yet determine how much assymmetry is in the foil arm fairings - but it will be there in some capacity, becoming neutral at higher flight mode where minimal drag and max velocity is sought.

The upper surface of the foils on the foil arms seems to have a continuous upper surface with no hinge point - though the extent of the flaps can clearly be seen - watch the videos.This hingeless flap is like the Moth foils developed in Finland. There is a circular dimple on the port outboard foil wing - is this a necessary lump where a control arm attaches underneath?

The wash out of foil tips is also worth studying - quite pronounced and beautifully crafted. Would love to see the underside of these wings - not long to wait - to see how they are actuating the flaps and how clean a hinge line they have achieved,

I expect to see the boat rigged for cameras everywhere - a la AC50 - which they used for data logging and refinement of the control system.

Fabulous first iteration of a whole new class of boat. Lets see it strut it stuff - literally......

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hoom said:

I'll just leave this here

Bee.jpg

That is what I was saying in my post.  Smaller narrow hull of a planning boat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nuttyrave said:

better resolution shots from Associated Press:

AssociatedPress2.thumb.jpg.77e5292cd4607cf617d13a26994de129.jpgAssociatedPress1.thumb.jpg.ec15b570d8db8a1ad5ec102e7af620e3.jpg

Without a doubt, the ugliest trimaran I have ever seen.

• Like 2

Level of the sailing height, strange shape, photoshop (it's on all photos) or what else?

310863859_AssociatesPressdetail.thumb.jpg.b99b9e3f8c54a26ce00831f5d2afa5ee.jpg

America's Cup AC75 in numbers:

Hull length: 20.7m plus 2m bowsprit

Maximum beam: 5m

Weight: 6.5T

Mast height: 26.5m from deck

Sails: 135-145sqm mainsail, 90sqm jib, 200sqm code zero

Rudder: Centreline T foil, 3.5m maximum draft, 3m maximum span

Foils: Twin-canting T foils, 5m maximum draft, 4m wing span

Crew: 11 sailors (960-990kg combined weight)

.... Cant verify but here is what i found

46 minutes ago, ITA602 said:

Level of the sailing height, strange shape, photoshop (it's on all photos) or what else?

Interchangeable foil tips likely. You would think the transition wouldn’t be so crude. 

8 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Wow, been out all day, and have come home to this. Fucking radical..!!! Looks amazing.

Now I'm excited about this Cup edition B) :wub:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ITA602 said:

I agree this looks clunky but isn't this simply a case of narrowing down the chord length from the (supplied) arms, down to the desired length of the foil in the water, as quickly as possible from a measurement point? 

12 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I agree this looks clunky but isn't this simply a case of narrowing down the chord length from the (supplied) arms, down to the desired length of the foil in the water, as quickly as possible from a measurement point? 

Looking at the angle of the swoop/taper up trailing edge, I suspect this is the design fly height.  The angle looks close to how spray comes off the trailing edge of a foil.

• Like 1

This might drown here among all the excitement about the new boat (and rightfully so), and I don't even know whether it has been posted already, but anyway, here we go, on Toyota NZ's channel:

• Like 1

Looks crazy cool. Bit of an ugly duckling and not as extreme as I thought it would be. 

2 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Looks crazy cool. Bit of an ugly duckling and not as extreme as I thought it would be. 

Perhaps you could draw something that would be as extreme as you were expecting?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Perhaps you could draw something that would be as extreme as you were expecting?

Yeah maybe. Not going to lie, NYYC set the bar stupidly high, so this extreme boat looks tame compared to what we’ve seen from the Americans. 

4 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Yeah maybe. Not going to lie, NYYC set the bar stupidly high, so this extreme boat looks tame compared to what we’ve seen from the Americans. 

You're using these two photos to make your comparisons, right?

8FED64F2-9A97-42E8-B917-4875CC764EBC.jpeg.c538028a78db8a7f265036328099bfcc.thumb.jpeg.a01a44f258829a851d4a118a55d3d401.jpg.f3c0fcf212ff50522a2f3c56258a80c8.jpg

at1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You're using these two photos to make your comparisons, right?

8FED64F2-9A97-42E8-B917-4875CC764EBC.jpeg.c538028a78db8a7f265036328099bfcc.thumb.jpeg.a01a44f258829a851d4a118a55d3d401.jpg.f3c0fcf212ff50522a2f3c56258a80c8.jpg

at1.jpg

just the first one, which admittedly isn't much but still.

The first sail will be interesting, theres no "lets try it out in first gear" its all on or its all over :)

23 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Sorry, you're not allowed to criticize our thin-skinned Kiwi friends here. 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So what's this?  Drainage?

Annotation 2019-09-06 051629.png

Center/dagger board :o

• Like 1

And now we wait for the Brits and Italians to open their presents and show them to the sailing world...

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I'll guess it's an ejection port for the onboard toilet... image.jpeg.c39df78a6ef76592770f1a005a624dda.jpeg

This is really hilarious, now I know why people post unboxing videos for toasters and actually make money

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Sorry, you're not allowed to criticize our thin-skinned Kiwi friends here. 

I don’t think he was, was he? He simply said that he was expecting something more extreme, suggesting that he was clearly very well informed about the rule, it’s potential and what “extreme” might be. 

When offered the opportunity to demonstrate that knowledge he’s deflected the discussion and shifted it to a comparison between the photos he’s seen here and a single grainy photo of another boat he probably had no part in designing. 

I wouldn’t call that criticism, nor would I call it constructive.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Brutal said:

I'll guess it's an ejection port for the onboard toilet... image.jpeg.c39df78a6ef76592770f1a005a624dda.jpeg

We don't tolerate that crap over here - we lock you up for it.

7 minutes ago, NZK said:

Anyone got a livestream in Europe?

I was wanting the same, but cannot find one. 

Any kind kiwis able to give any updates as to what's happening. 

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Wondering about it too - intriguing.

Am no expert on hull designs but am enjoying the various thoughts by Hoom and others. To my eye, that boat looks very f’ing fast! Love the paint too.

Please don’t take the piss out of our little breakfast show pusslicker 

Time out for me.

I certainly like steinlager on the rudder better than that yellow. The Italians can have it.

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Wondering about it too - intriguing.

Am no expert on hull designs but am enjoying the various thoughts by Hoom and others. To my eye, that boat looks f’ing fast! Love the paint too.

Might have cameras to record data of what the foils get up to and maybe ride height sensors or some wacky shit . Or just a plain old dagger board to stabilise it for towing with foils in up position 

Very deep cockpits, pretty much up to chest height.

It also looks like the waterline is at the top of the ‘bulge’ along the centreline. 

4 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Shitty pic. 

8A2340DA-6CCF-4F12-93F9-C5490692BA16.png

No, it’s a great pic - first we’ve seen so far of the deck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cazzate said:

... Or just a plain old dagger board to stabilise it for towing with foils in up position 

It certainly does look ‘structural’ - yes.

4 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Adjustable flap ??

That one’s catching the light but there could be several more adjustable flaps along those arm fairings.

ETNZ CEO has just confirmed an event in the UK after Cagliari

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangbang said:

From the LiveSailDie team

E3367457-C173-4342-8ADC-9960D5ACE8CD.jpeg

That's the shot I wanted, fucking magnificent.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, toad said:

I think Ive got a boner

Since last night when the first pics dropped it's been pure priapism for me

• Like 1

Just now, rh3000 said:

Since last night when the first pics dropped it's been pure priapism for me

Had to google that one, best see a doctor.

3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

@Stingray~ & @Herfy have already pre-arranged with GD that once this boat has fulfilled its testing duties and will to be converted to a booze-cruise keeler for them so they can cheer ETNZ on from the edge of the race-course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trimfast said:

Had to google that one, best see a doctor.

Either a doctor or the Dolphin's foils would slice it off cleanly...

ac75.7.thumb.JPG.dffa62d08f187ef13c4b668919e374ac.JPG

5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

@Stingray~ & @Herfy have already pre-arranged with GD that once this boat has fulfilled its testing duties and will to be converted to a booze-cruise keeler for them so they can cheer ETNZ on from the edge of the race-course.

What’s your guess? Looks too ‘structural’ a shape to be just a self-bailer-whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

What’s your guess? Looks too ‘structural’ a shape to be just a self-bailer whatever. 

So I guess I'm not invited then... ;-)

In all honesty, I don't have a decent answer for what that might be... it might be an opening plate for a sensor to measure ride height - that can be installed/removed as needed?

7 hours ago, WetHog said:

Humpback Whale.jpg

Would be better taking after a flying fish though, Hoggie. ;-)

• Like 1

My mate who helped build it said the hull structure is very unique, apparently they used something called we-etbix composite and the black paint is a low friction material called veg-em-ite. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, WetHog said:

Humpback Whale.jpg

Good one- You saw the name she got christened with, right? ‘Dolphin’ !

1 minute ago, toad said:

My mate who helped build it said the hull structure is very unique, apparently they used something called we-etbix composite and the black paint is a low friction material called veg-em-ite. 

Nice

I can tell you fucktards this; the 40 footer is going to be the boat to jizz your pants over

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

That's the shot I wanted, fucking magnificent.

Wheel on port side not much room for grinders if they are not below deck which is not allowed amazing looking boat

4 minutes ago, hairyharford said:

Wheel on port side not much room for grinders if they are not below deck which is not allowed amazing looking boat

Only one wheel? Not gonna be jumping across that thing.

Weight aft much?

1 minute ago, barfy said:

Only one wheel? Not gonna be jumping across that thing.

Weight aft much?

Remember, it's slated to be an extreme first boat. It's just been launched. There is probably lots that isn't cup legal at this point. Plenty of time to change things yet. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xlot said:

Either the two foils are different, or they have a marked sweepback - which is new, but to be expected in order to delay cavitation. Also, no visible flap hinges

Grant Dalton said on TVNZ at the launch event "There are trim tabs on the back of the foils literally like an airplane that help it lift off and as it goes into the air those will be leveled out and it will start to fly on its rudder as well".

2 hours ago, Wolkenzug said:

What´s happened here?

foil arm.jpg

GD said in his TVNZ interview that the arms (and rudder?) had "trim tabs" that would be used to help get the boat out of the water and foiling.

1 minute ago, Bystander said:

Grant Dalton said on TVNZ at the launch event "There are trim tabs on the back of the foils literally like an airplane that help it lift off and as it goes into the air those will be leveled out and it will start to fly on its rudder as well".

Haha, crossed posts there!

Just now, laser 173312 said:

Remember, it's slated to be an extreme first boat. It's just been launched. There is probably lots that isn't cup legal at this point. Plenty of time to change things yet. 

I'd bet its structurally cup legal, as it has to be ready for Cagliari

4 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

The man knows more?! Do go on???

All I know is that a lot of radical ideas and development will be done on the smaller boat, if I told you anything more- well we also have black helicopters in NZ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toad said:

All I know is that a lot of radical ideas and development will be done on the smaller boat, if I told you anything more- well we also have black helicopters in NZ

That'll be very strategically smart running the test mule in tandem with the AC75, in real-world conditions.

Time for bed for me, she (who must be obeyed says). Thanks for your help tonight and here's to Te Aihe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Beast Mode Killa said:

Te Aihe - The Dolphin

You guys know dolphins spend 99.99% under water right?:ph34r:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, See Level said:

You guys know dolphins spend 99.99% under water right?:ph34r:

hahahaha!