Don't get me wrong with what I am about to say. Pete Burling and Blair Tuke are a brilliant team but it is a lot easier to win in the years after an olympics than it is in the year leading up to and including the olympics. Very few have maintained their dominance over a whole olympic cycle. And it is noticeable that in 2nd was Nath and Goobs who still haven't fully ramped up their olympic training. They did a fair amount more work for this event than they have for any other since 2012, but compared with the NZers and most of the rest, they are still a part time campaign. I believe that the same applied to the Moth campaign - Pete was full time for months while Nathan fitted it in around lots of other commitments. I am not saying it is certain that the Ozzie boys will catch the NZers, but I believe that they do have a few more gears to go through before their olympic campaign is fully ramped up.

As for Tuke edging Gashby off the boat, I think that is a misguided view of what is going on. I would be very surprised if both weren't on the boat. It is hard to overestimate just how much Glenn brings to the team and it shows in the universal respect he has amongst his peers and fellow competitors. While he would be only one of a number of people I would have as equal first choice to helm, he would be the first person i woudl write down on they crew roster if i was choosing an all star team. Then I would work out where to use him, although most likely it would be as wing man.

+1... kiwis, as we are seeing post the last olympics, always look like they are doing well at world champs, but come the year of the Olympics they fall over .

I don't know why I fall for this and why I feed the troll, but you are so full of shit and wrong as usual.

NZ came 5th in the 2012 Olympic sailing medal table and sailing produced 15% of the medals that NZ won in the whole Olympicsm making it the 2nd best sport after rowing. The gold won by Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie was one of the most dominant efforts at the event. The silver won by Burling and Tuke was remarkable considering they were the youngest competitors in the class and had the least experience. When you take into account the population of NZ, they punched well above their weight. In particular, in terms of qualifying for the games, they finished joint 3rd in the most classes qualified, beating the likes of Australia and they were one of only 4 countries to qualify for either 9 or 10 classes.

If you don't win on the first attempt you will never win. And this is true of all kiwi Olympic sailors dating back to the 70's

Wrong. Jo competed in the 2008 Olympics and came 7th before winning gold in 2012. Tom Ashley, who won Gold in 2008, competed in 2004. Aaron McIntosh won his medal having failed to win in the previous olympics.

The only medal they will win in Brazil will be 49r. And maybe not gold.

Not sure why you have rules out a medal in the women's 470, because Jo and Olivia have to be one of the favorites and seem to be coming good again.

But I guess that you have never allowed facts to get in the way of being a good troll.

That's funny. You my friend twist my comments to suit your Poor arguement.

The FACT ARE.. (in context of my previous post) kiwi Olympic sailors in the Finn class, laser and 470 class that fail then go onto fail.!

I did not mention board sailors or jo aleh... the are rare exceptions and becoming even more rare.

Its the Andrew murdoch types, Laser sailors, finn sailors that continue to fail.

And besides Aleh,s gold the last 20 years has produced many failures and only a few golds.

Just look at the last Olympics. 1 gold and hoe many failed kiwi sailors...

And 5th in the medal count is a piss poor performance. kiwis of the eighties and 90's were top two!!!

Silvers and bronzes are as good as 4th of 5th in my mind.

And i will not call you a troll or be derogatory as you and you mates are!... as this lowers me to you and your mates level.

how many sailing medals did the US get in the last olympics?

I know he is a troll, but it is fun getting the facts correct

And 5th in the medal count is a piss poor performance. kiwis of the eighties and 90's were top two!!!

There have only ever been 3 Olympic games where NZ have done better than 2012, being 84, 88 and 92. In every other Olympics they have done worse than 2012. They only finished 2nd in the sailing medal table once, 84 while they were 3rd in 88 and 4th in 1992. So, historically, 2012 was pretty good for NZ sailing.

It shows how out of touch you are with the sport if you harp back to what happened 30 years ago, when the sport was very different.

I agree that PB is the hottest skiff sailor in the world right now. But as far as the 45F one-designs, I still think NO may have the slight advantage. I may think different in July. NO and Goobs just don't train that much in the 49er or PB & BT would have some tighter regattas. The Aussie 49er champs trained them well! Burling has no time in a foiling 45 or big foiling cat, while Nathan is developing a Turbo.Big difference I would think.

So how much longer can The Grumpster play the poormouth game?

No team news, no sponsor plugs? Should we be worried?

Is it all part of his maneuvering for government handouts?

May be they've just gone full chip-on and are focusing their efforts internally for now?

I believe that they've gone to ground designing:

o A new 45' boat for AC35 in Bermuda

o A new 52' boat for AC35 in Hawaii.
o A new submarine for AC35 under the Polar ice...

You never know where this puppy of an event will end up...

Who is Peter Burling?

Last month, Peter Burling found himself in an awkward role: the likely replacement as Dean Barker exited Emirates Team New Zealand declaring he wasn't bitter but he wouldn't be back. Burling handled it the same way, it seems, he handles everything – calmly, confidently, with his eyes on the goal. In an interview, Burling speaks slowly and looks around with the intense, clear-eyed gaze that is common among young athletes. He is humble – yet he has the unrushed demeanour of a man who knows he is good at what he does.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/68124016/who-is-peter-burling

I believe the board is trying to figure out how to sideline Grumpy, and it may mean a closure of the team in the short run. A lot of truth to "another team from NZL" rumor. Time will tell.

at http://www.rnzys.org.nz

--

RNZYS Annual Prizegiving

Saturday 16th May 2015 - 6pm - Ballroom

Don't miss the biggest celebration of the sailing season, Annual RNZYS Prizegiving! As well as celebrating another fantastic sailing season, we are also celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Team New Zealand & NZL32's America's Cup victory in San Diego in 1995! Come and listen to Members of the NZL32 crew comment on the America's Cup past & present with MC PJ Montgomery. Drinks from 6pm, with formal proceedings to begin at 7pm. Tickets: reception@rnzys.org.nz / (09) 360-6800

Spread your legs LE, and lube up that poo-hole, you're about to get a right royal fucking without caution. ETNZ has some money coming, the skills in place, and a rapist at the helm whose going to rub chillies on his cock before he slips it in ya.

All your cheating and actions with your fist buried into RC's anus will be for nothing.

I hope you die of cancer soon LE.

at http://www.rnzys.org.nz

--

RNZYS Annual Prizegiving

Saturday 16th May 2015 - 6pm - Ballroom

Don't miss the biggest celebration of the sailing season, Annual RNZYS Prizegiving! As well as celebrating another fantastic sailing season, we are also celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Team New Zealand & NZL32's America's Cup victory in San Diego in 1995! Come and listen to Members of the NZL32 crew comment on the America's Cup past & present with MC PJ Montgomery. Drinks from 6pm, with formal proceedings to begin at 7pm. Tickets: reception@rnzys.org.nz / (09) 360-6800

Fuck the RNZYS. A bunch of greedy old men sitting in a club that's over priced with shit food and expensive drinks.

You fucking old fools with your fat wives and council owned facility couldn't run a bath. Blame for AC series not coming to Auckland sits in your hands you cunts!

You have Fuck all energy going into this cup, so you should curl up and Fuck off before a riot is formed by real sailors and you club smeared with human excrement.

Fuck the RNZYS, they are cunts.

Spread your legs LE, and lube up that poo-hole, you're about to get a right royal fucking without caution. ETNZ has some money coming, the skills in place, and a rapist at the helm whose going to rub chillies on his cock before he slips it in ya.

All your cheating and actions with your fist buried into RC's anus will be for nothing.

Having a good day are we ?

Having a good day are we ?

One of his favorite sheep ran away and eloped with a less angry NZander.

Having a good day are we ? ewe?

Sorted

Gotta love those NZander AC fanboys.

The definition of good sports.

That is no fanboy. More a fangirl with sand in his vagina.

Maybe one of his douchebag friends could help him out.

Always nice to see an unbiased,level headed opinion every now and again....

Gotta love those NZander AC fanboys.

The definition of good sports.

The hits just keep on coming from these guys. Must be in the water or something.

Of greater concern have there been any sightings of ETNZ on water training with 2 person foiling cats, a development AC45 or a foiling AC45, as every day lost now starts counting against them. An Olympic class (ex Laser) takes at least 6 months working up a new boat and that's with the numbers so the relatively new foiling tech needs all the dev time possible plus crew fitness development/peaking etc etc etc.

Additionally Blair/Tuke are in full Olympic swing ( a 24/7 job) for 2015/6 and its one or t'other really and no doubt their gifted coach would like to know his commitments.

45f was on its way to portsmouth for a splash last i heard.

re-routed from its original destination cagliari.

but yes, it's been wery wery quite.

have any 45f's been sighted? i heard there were some parts (minor :) still not finished/shipped from the mod kit

45f was on its way to portsmouth for a splash last i heard.

re-routed from its original destination cagliari.

but yes, it's been wery wery quite.

have any 45f's been sighted? i heard there were some parts (minor :) still not finished/shipped from the mod kit

Their doing just fine. All the rich backers and sponsors are neatly lined up and their 45's are busy practicing at a secret location in NZ.

Stealth aero package.

has any team for sure splashed a 45F? i seem to remember a maybe sighting here lately, can't find it.

Wherever their stealth X boat is, it is apparently based on the one that team Oz sold to them

"honest" IM..."only driven once on a Sunday, you won't find a 45 in better shape"..

Chairman steps down. - Not sure what the crisis is apart from an apparent lack of mental capability from the Herald writer.

Without NZ Govt funding the TNZ Board does not require the high level of governance it had put in place. On top of this, is the difficulty that Keith Turner was having meeting his TNZ commitments. - so he steps down.

Chairman steps down. - Not sure what the crisis is apart from an apparent lack of mental capability from the Herald writer.

Without NZ Govt funding the TNZ Board does not require the high level of governance it had put in place. On top of this, is the difficulty that Keith Turner was having meeting his TNZ commitments. - so he steps down.

More to this than meets the eye, you can bet on that.

Awaiting the fallout with some trepidation.

It's been a while since any NZ Herald staffer was accused of actually writing something... mostly cut/paste jockeys....

I would think the opposite, they need more guidance and influence than ever. Funny he used the travel as an excuse when all hi other directorships are in Auckland. Probably had a gutsful of Dalton.

I would think the opposite, they need more guidance and influence than ever. Funny he used the travel as an excuse when all hi other directorships are in Auckland. Probably had a gutsful of Dalton.

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe he just doesn't want to be associated with either a team or competition that has been sent off in a direction he does not agree with.

I find it impossible to continue as a fan, let alone have to publicly support the team and event as part of the paid circus.

Without NZ Govt funding the TNZ Board does not require the high level of governance it had put in place.

However TNZ is still attempting to over-turn the Qualifiers decision and consequently the funding decision. So a tad premature?

I also find it a bit of a stretch to believe that someone like Turner wouldn't have noticed the need to travel to meetings before taking the gig in the first place.

So colour me unconvinced as to the explanations. Not that I very much care anyway.

Apparently Turner was not a beach cat and french fries kind of guy.

Count me out as well but interesting to see that more television companies have brought the rights than ever before.

Secured broadcast rights. That's a long way form saying that they'll actually cover it, live or otherwise, and what they'll pay in the end depending on that.

For instance if OTF doesn't make the start line will C+ be showing the AC anywhere?

BBC red button coverage when Michael Grade in on the board of BAR is about as minimal a commitment to coverage as they could make.

TV wise the interesting thing is that there's no sniff of the Merdochs. They pown every serious sports franchise going and have beaten down anyone who has tried to set up in opposition to them. Would be fascinating to see what happen if they got behind an alternative.

More to this than meets the eye, you can bet on that.

Awaiting the fallout with some trepidation.

They're just trimming more unnecessary fat.

Good link, they both make a few astute comments.

One could speculate all day long about possible power plays over who gets what decision-making power, GD reiterating control, compensation, etc, but with the govt shutting off funding then Turner is no longer necessary as a selling point in that funding pitch. And with a much smaller budget necessary the BOD needn't be at five guys, up from two and then then just one after Farmer's departure, during AC34. Farmer left to join IM's Safety Committee, then did not re-join the BOD after ETNZ chose to contest the recommendations instead of accepting them in full per his IN CAPITALS opinion that they absolutely must do. They ignored Farmer, may have been ignoring Turner too, also making it no longer worth his time.

i was commenting that it had already been done to death here...

but there was a new snippet,

GD back from overseas...good news?

edit[ still overseas, misread]

yes, the radio and vidy interviews are informative and level. too bad henry wouldn't engage about the marine industry debate.

but in other sail w news cut and paste as normal

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/171_Fuku-Its-a-very-big-deal.html

cut

and paste

http://www.sail-world.com/America-s-Cup--SoftBankTeam-Japan-fast-forwards-to-Portsmouth-ACWS/134023

oh, changed the first para a tiny bit

So now RG is someone who we consider an authority on the AC? I thought he was affectionately referred to as Herbie around here?

So now RG is someone who we consider an authority on the AC? I thought he was affectionately referred to as Herbie around here?

No. He's still an opinionated prat looking for a scoop.

There's nothing affectionate about it.

I thought most of his coverage of AC34 was good but since then he's more than once made remarks which are plain factually wrong.

So when will we start getting any boat or sailing related news from ETNZ?

Training on Moths?, Phantoms? AC45F? AC45T/S/X?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Hello?

So when will we start getting any boat or sailing related news from ETNZ?

Training on Moths?, Phantoms? AC45F? AC45T/S/X?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Hello?

Maybe the Grumpster has decided that since the NZ public didn't cough up any cash for the chips and beer they don't deserve any fun.

I guess I forgot the /sarcasm tag :)

EDIT: and I now see Stingray has deleted his post citing RG as a sane and credible source

How is the appeal progressing?

RC is still trying to work out how to rig compose the appeals panel? Maybe some sort of automated system. Did anyone see the Kingsman?

Kingsman_heads.jpg

^ ??

I thought the 45F got rerouted to Portsmouth after the Cagliari ACWS event was cancelled.

Bermuda? Has ETNZ even got a clear patch of tarmac there to sit the containers on yet?

Spectacular eh... "The Big Indifferently Sized Cat Brewery & Bar II"?

Was just driving to a client in Auckland today and exited the South Western motorway at the Neilson Street exit. In the storage facility there are some hulls with ETNZ livery all nicely wrapped (you can just make out the paintwork underneath) and sitting there.

36°55'37.28"S 174°46'49.81"E

Unfortunately their arrival is recent enough not to be on street view from Google Maps/Earth. Anyone got any idea what these are? (Will try to get photo's in the next day or so, but stopping on a motorway off ramp during rush hour wasn't an option this morning...)

The AC in 'slow news' NZ humor

Thanks, Stinger. Just got reminded why I don't watch that shit.

Was just driving to a client in Auckland today and exited the South Western motorway at the Neilson Street exit. In the storage facility there are some hulls with ETNZ livery all nicely wrapped (you can just make out the paintwork underneath) and sitting there.

36°55'37.28"S 174°46'49.81"E

Unfortunately their arrival is recent enough not to be on street view from Google Maps/Earth. Anyone got any idea what these are? (Will try to get photo's in the next day or so, but stopping on a motorway off ramp during rush hour wasn't an option this morning...)

AC72's?

AC72's?

I was kind of past them before I really had a chance to take real note of what I was seeing... I'll be going that way again tomorrow morning, so know to look out this time!

The AC in 'slow news' NZ humor

The guy in the inset (Len Brown) would be a great addition to any foreign city or territory hosting an AC event outside NZ. He's free to a good home, and has great interpersonal skills, particularly with Asian women... which may be handy welcoming Team Japan in Bermuda?

Here comes ETNZ...........

I just saw that on FB. Great news! I was worried that they would bag out. Perhaps I should not have underestimated them, but I guess at some point, everyone gets to the point where they don't want to take any more shit. I am all of a sudden very excited!

Here comes ETNZ...........

I said it first.

"Here comes ETNZ". AT 05:30 this morning.

I said it first.

"Here comes ETNZ". AT 05:30 this morning.

Your prescience has been noted...

Some more sponsorship news to follow in the next few weeks...

Any AC related boat and/or sailing news?

OK their AC45F is stuck in a container on the other side of the world, but any training on Phantoms, GC32's? Any news about an AC45T/S/X in the works?

Hopefully they will be getting some cash from Emirates now to start getting things moving - but they are leaving things awfully late.

More sponsors? Emirates sponsorship is a vehicle for the abu Dahbi sovereign Welth fund. More private money in essence.

What you spinbots and genuine fans don't know yet is that GD has been a busy man. I have it on good authority that "money" is now a problem with a ticked checkbox next to it.

More than Emirates money.....

It's easy to lever off those who share the same attitude as yourself toward your own adversaries.

In other words, there's people with resource and real wealth who also dislike LE and his manipulation of the AC environment. Oh, but they really like ETNZ and the idea of an epic win with the cup returning to its most natural home, New Zealand.

Arabs don't like America so much. I wonder why?

Cash, sweet cash.

What you spinbots and genuine fans don't know yet is that GD has been a busy man. I have it on good authority that "money" is now a problem with a ticked checkbox next to it.

It's easy to lever off those who share the same attitude as yourself toward your own adversaries.

In other words, there's people with resource and real wealth who also dislike LE and his manipulation of the AC environment. Oh, but they really like ETNZ and the idea of an epic win with the cup returning to its most natural home, New Zealand.

Cash, sweet cash.

Third Reef, is that the Europa in your avatar?

More sponsors? Emirates sponsorship is a vehicle for the abu Dahbi sovereign Welth fund. More private money in essence.

So you've said more than once. Not convinced it's actually true. Emirates asserts it is profitable and has not received further cash injections since its founding. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

So you've said more than once. Not convinced it's actually true. Emirates asserts it is profitable and has not received further cash injections since its founding. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Emirates is the vehicle for the Abu Dhabi SWF? Just like Oracle is the vehicle for the US Department of Defence - yea right

Ps. Emirates if from Dubai. Abu Dhabi's airline is called Etihad!

... jesus I'm having some brain fart lately...

Dubahi is a totally different kettle of fish all right

This one adds some extra quotes and includes:

--

First seats on the renewed sponsorship will be warmed tonight, when three Emirates Team New Zealand members fly out of Auckland bound for Portsmouth, England, to test the new foiling AC45 one design, along with members of other America's Cup teams.

http://www.sail-world.com/America-s-Cup--Emirates-signs-on-as-naming-rights-sponsor-with-Team-NZ/134222

--

First seats on the renewed sponsorship will be warmed tonight, when three Emirates Team New Zealand members fly out of Auckland bound for Portsmouth, England, to test the new foiling AC45 one design, along with members of other America's Cup teams.

http://www.sail-world.com/America-s-Cup--Emirates-signs-on-as-naming-rights-sponsor-with-Team-NZ/134222

They can only afford to send three????

Don't tell me Oracle will be providing logistics support for them as well, they can hardly be rigging and launching the boat with just three of them...

I'm afraid Oracle will have to provide logistical support as the entire city of Portsmouth is taking a month's holiday.

At last, the dosh has been confirmed.

What a bloody relief.

I'd debate this but not with that spelling.

Cash, sweet cash.

Third Reef, is that the Europa in your avatar?

Sure is.

Congratulations Mr. Dalton - you seem to have achieved the (for most) unachievable.

Good luck with this campaign.

--

Interestingly, Sail World calls it "the most significant commercial sponsorship yet in the 35th America's Cup", but there is nothing about it, or more sadly the activities surrounding "remembering Bart" in the news section of http://www.americascup.com/. It does, however, note that Butterflied is the official Bermuda bank of the 2017 AC!

There are items about remembering Bart and Emirates' sponsorship of TNZ on, respectively, the Artemis and ETNZ pages, so I assume they could easily link to them (as they have done for news involving OTUSA and TJ) if they wanted to.

Yes, it's big news; so unless the AC site wants to let ETNZ publish it in their section first then maybe they'll get to it soon on their own.

As GD says, the re-upping by Emirates will give confidence to the team's other sponsors too. Good all around.

Cash, sweet cash.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but for ETNZ, money wasn't really a problem in AC34 - and we all know how that turned out.

Money is important, but it's only step 1.