7 minutes ago, barfy said:

Is DuckDuck a new model outboard?

We have the usual collection of drainage ponds outside the factory. We pride ourselves on keeping them clean and pretty. Canada Geese love them. One of the little guys born there this year had an issue with a muskrat. Broke his wing. His family left him, but we adopted him. I named him DuckDuck.

He’s a sweetheart!  Unfortunately, all the rescue shelters laughed at us because we’d only be saving him to get shot.  For dirt cheap, I bet it could make for astounding PR for ETNZ if they helped the little dude take flight!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Love your work, Weta27.

You forgot to make all the photos grainy like all other footage of the boats foiling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

We have the usual collection of drainage ponds outside the factory. We pride ourselves on keeping them clean and pretty. Canada Geese love them. One of the little guys born there this year had an issue with a muskrat. Broke his wing. His family left him, but we adopted him. I named him DuckDuck.

He’s a sweetheart!  Unfortunately, all the rescue shelters laughed at us because we’d only be saving him to get shot.  For dirt cheap, I bet it could make for astounding PR for ETNZ if they helped the little dude take flight!

You got a problem with Canada Gooses, you got a problem with me, and I suggest you let that one marinate.

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

2070785525_FredDagg.thumb.jpg.426c448608c0b8bbde9809ec38680f71.jpg

It was a very sad day when we lost such an icon of both NZ & Australian television screens...

2 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

It was a very sad day when we lost such an icon of both NZ & Australian television screens...

Yeah he went early. He was always Fred Dagg to me.

1 minute ago, TimmyHate said:

You got a problem with Canada Gooses, you got a problem with me, and I suggest you let that one marinate.

I have no problem going hunting.  The issue is that we raised the little guy. The same people who fed him built those engines that have NZ up in the air. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I have no problem going hunting.  The issue is that we raised the little guy. The same people who fed him built those engines that have NZ up in the air. 

2 minutes ago, TimmyHate said:

Disturbing, but funny!  I didn’t get what you were talking about. 

6 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Disturbing, but funny!  I didn’t get what you were talking about. 

Haha yeah wasn't sure if the joke would land. Its from a show called 'Letterkenny' out of Canada, great show. Recommend checking out the cold open from the first episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE 

Did we all miss a loophole about just towing your boat around the course?  Crafty bit of rule writing but they may have shown their hand too soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Did we all miss a loophole about just towing your boat around the course?  Crafty bit of rule writing but they may have shown their hand too soon.

Not worried, the Kiwi’s are getting towed around by old school motors. Without even talking about new toys, Mercury already has 450’s available to the public. 

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Haha or perhaps the fact that Defiant is so easy to sail speaks to the fact that she's not pushing the limits as far as the Kiwi's are. 

Really, so signs of not doing anything special is pushing the limits and actually performing foiling maneuvers is being too safe....

10 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Really, so signs of not doing anything special is pushing the limits and actually performing foiling maneuvers is being too safe....

Depends what "special" means. ETNZ is starting slow (whether intentionally or not) LR and INEOS haven't even left the shed yet, while AM are performing maneuvers. Remains to be seen who has the right approach, but ETNZ could, and probably have, designed a boat which is at the very extreme end of boat design, so softly softly may be the best thing for them.

INEOS and LR may be spending more time on design while sacrificing early time on the water. AM look to have a "time on the water is the most critical" type of approach. FYI Land Rover BAR were the first team last time to launch a proper test boat, as well as launch their first AC50, so they seemingly had the most time on the water than almost anyone last time...didn't work out too well for them.

great stern on shot.

side with wheel blown up a bit and side without wheel. 3rd shot is an interesting tripod in front of a poorly placed crew member 

wheel.jpg

nowheel.jpg

tripod.jpg

mainsail shot was interesting as well. huge exhaust port? but i thought there were to be no openings so wtf is being exhausted?

18.1  Other than as required for sail hardware, intentional openings through sail skins are prohibited. This rule does not prohibit access panels that are covered or closed whilst racing.

main.jpg

Actually I disagree, @Tornado-Cat, I think it just appears that way due to the differing shapes.

Ahie appears higher because she is much more shapely and slim, whereas Defiant appears to ride lower because she's big and flat (nicer streamlining maybe).

Then again, with big lenses being used and relatively view photos and videos available we may all be wrong! 

Edit: shit, missed a bunch of posts. This was just responding to Tornado's post about ride heights etc.

OK, I know this is something of a digression but, props to stuff.co.nz Cup writer Duncan Johnstone and photographer David White for their coverage today.  They scooped the lethargic local media pack big time.

NZ Herald wants me to stiff me for access to their "award-winning" content. Feh. The last ETNZ content their sports department actually generated was vague and wishy-washy ..... and it was nine days ago!  They did publish some good stuff six days ago but it was a straight lift from RG at sail-world.com.

image.png.00e84d3fbe9bbc0065cda1694aecd5eb.png

is this part of the port wheel?

the tripod looks removable, guessing its there to support the boom while the sail goes up (wouldn't want someone holding it up for as long as they are taking now would ya :D )

image.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, barfy said:

mainsail shot was interesting as well. huge exhaust port? but i thought there were to be no openings so wtf is being exhausted?

18.1  Other than as required for sail hardware, intentional openings through sail skins are prohibited. This rule does not prohibit access panels that are covered or closed whilst racing.

geeeez let them get it up and velco the trailing edge together

i think 18.1 is referencing holes/ access through a single sail, not between the 2 sails themselves

1 minute ago, the saint said:

In the first shots of the boat the wheel was on the other side. 

Maybe the leeward wheel is stowed to reduce windage, turning side on would make a big difference.

and a good look at the foot and tack, the boom. the track i thought was a traveler is way too far forward for that. mainsheet is fixed to the deck. hydraulic runners looks like.

photoshop does a pretty good enlarge. i'm sure all the teams are poring over these shots.

foot.jpg

8 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

geeeez let them get it up and velco the trailing edge together

i think 18.1 is referencing holes/ access through a single sail, not between the 2 sails themselves

it seems maybe shaped like that? I was more thinking that it seems like a shaped port straight to low pressure. I guess the edges tighten up under leech tension.

9 minutes ago, barfy said:

it seems maybe shaped like that? I was more thinking that it seems like a shaped port straight to low pressure. I guess the edges tighten up under leech tension.

image.png.56594918abd94566f31a0383643427de.png

this pic was from the first venture out with the sails.

the guy in the picture above is probably attaching the 2 sails together at the moment the picture is taken

if you look at the positioning of the "5G" on the lower sail they have managed another 2ft up... well-done chaps :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

is this part of the port wheel?

maybe, well spotted. looks further forward? i traced strbd wheel, duplicated to the other side for a crude reference. I just reckon not changing sides would be such a gamechanger to maneuvers. An evolution of the no look gybe perhaps.

wheel2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

image.png.56594918abd94566f31a0383643427de.png

this pic was from the first venture out with the sails.

the guy in the picture above is probably attacking the 2 sails together at the moment the picture is taken

if you look at the positioning of the "5G" on the lower sail they have managed another 2ft up... well-done chaps :lol:

i've been on my phone out of town for the last week, not enough pixels to really check out detail. nice one.

Team New Zealand's new America's Cup boat foiling under tow during testing in Auckland.
DAVID WHITE / STUFF

I see your yellow and red circles and raise you a guy standing on the port side holding what appears to be a black wheel ... checkmate ... I mean 3 strikes you are out
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, barfy said:

maybe, well spotted. looks further forward? i traced strbd wheel, duplicated to the other side for a crude reference. I just reckon not changing sides would be such a gamechanger to maneuvers. An evolution of the no look gybe perhaps.

wheel2.jpg

Port wheel

69825854_1108398479358447_1115341348220698624_n.jpg.c42804edf2e4effb03ebf4a6e8c2f964.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, meanermachine said:

Actually I disagree, @Tornado-Cat, I think it just appears that way due to the differing shapes.

Ahie appears higher because she is much more shapely and slim, whereas Defiant appears to ride lower because she's big and flat (nicer streamlining maybe).

Then again, with big lenses being used and relatively view photos and videos available we may all be wrong! 

Edit: shit, missed a bunch of posts. This was just responding to Tornado's post about ride heights etc.

Yes, the hull shape obliges to boat to fly higher with a higher center of effort.

Part of the 'one wheel' thing is its a lot further forward than typical -> not where you'd expect to look.

They do seem to be playing some games though with only the port one on for launch, port visible for first outing & while towing out today.

38 minutes ago, barfy said:

and a good look at the foot and tack, the boom. the track i thought was a traveler is way too far forward for that. mainsheet is fixed to the deck. hydraulic runners looks like.

photoshop does a pretty good enlarge. i'm sure all the teams are poring over these shots.

foot.jpg

There looks to be either a track or a slot all the way across directly where the centre fairing rejoins the cockpit floor (concievably the front of the tripod feet could even be in / attached to it when in use as it's there abouts).  If you look at the awesome drone flyby posted earlier it is obvious there is something there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, the hull shape obliges to boat to fly higher with a higher center of effort.

I don't agree the differences in the hull shapes necessarily mean either boat is obliged to fly at a higher foil height.

You're assuming the bulge has been added to the bottom of Te Aihe, instead of having volume removed from the bilges on either side.

If this turns out to be true, and the shape results a significantly reduced penalty for touching the water, it may be possible that she will foil closer to the water.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trig42 said:

Unlikely they have everything even vaguely sorted yet, but...

Maybe slighly bow down and slightly heeled to windward.

Serious decksweeper mainsail, possibly travelled using a slot and something underdeck.

Very aero crew positions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mogs said:

I don't agree the differences in the hull shapes necessarily mean either boat is obliged to fly at a higher foil height.

You're assuming the bulge has been added to the bottom of Te Aihe, instead of having volume removed from the bilges on either side.

If this turns out to be true, and the shape results a significantly reduced penalty for touching the water, it may be possible that she will foil closer to the water.

For the same distance between the hull and the water the mast foot will be higher, so... If they decide to foil closer to the water the hull will touch from time to time but with less penalty. Perhaps beneficial in waves.

10 minutes ago, trig42 said:

David White from Stuff has a photo of them foiling:

Boom hidden within the skins and full end-plating with the deck ramp. Different from Defiant's standard boom arrangement.

2 minutes ago, the saint said:

the leeward side stay looks rather loose in that pic, nice to see it up on foils though.

It's the lower, the upper still looks taunt (hard to see as it follows the trailing edge of the headsail somewhat).

2 minutes ago, Boybland said:

It's the lower, the upper still looks taunt (hard to see as it follows the trailing edge of the headsail somewhat).

That's the starboard running backstay, which is slack. She's on a port tack.

6 minutes ago, monosailor said:

Lift off 

CDDAD895-20F2-4C08-8621-6B22417CC2A4.jpeg

Regardless of who you support that's an amazing effort to be foiling during the first sail with no test mule

• Like 1

Test boat? We ain't got no test boat!  We don't need no test boat! I don't need to show you any stinking test boat!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

That's the starboard running backstay, which is slack. She's on a port tack.

The running backstay has been eased completely.

Forward of that the lower side stay looks a little loose.

Forward of that the upper side stay looks taunt.

12 minutes ago, Boatworks said:

Regardless of who you support that's an amazing effort to be foiling during the first sail with no test mule

Especially when you consider all the naysayers who thought the whole idea wouldn't even work at all. 

We now have two seemingly not that impossible to sail absolute beasts out on the water! Whats the bet in a couple of weeks we have two more and they are both up and running in pretty short order as well!

It's interesting just how "right" they look once airbourne though, it's almost a why wouldn't you do it this way? moment.

• Like 2

Would it be possible they have some sort of active backstay control? Allowing heel of the hull/foils, providing lift to windward, whilst maintaining a vertical rig to maximise power? Or am I talking bollocks?

2 minutes ago, nroose said:

10 seconds.

Gotta start somewhere, and possibly they could be a little cagey about what they want to get out after revealing the foiling AC72 way too early.

18 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I prefer this photo (from Stuff.co).

1568775201302.jpg

I agree TC.  Was working to post this David White shot when I realised you had beaten me to it.

Let's hear it for simulation testing.

Can't wait to see any of the new boats tacking and gybing in waves and fresh breeze. 

Long and successful day on the water. Cold beers and a burnt sausage tonight at the base, I'd guess!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I know the advantage I am still worrying about how more they can pull on the mainsheet.

Rest easy, mate.  There's enough horsepower plus mechanical advantage to haul the entire mast and sail right off the back of the boat. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, KiwiJoker said:

Rest easy, mate.  There's enough horsepower plus mechanical advantage to haul the entire mast and sail right off the back of the boat. :rolleyes:

Just posted above what seems the be the "mechanical advantage" to haul the mast :)

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It looks like a massive boom and the sweeper under

Massive? We can see it in the tow pics, its more like a spinnaker pole.

20 minutes ago, nroose said:

10 seconds.

But the first 10 seconds of non-foiling acceleration we've seen, I think including the test boats.

Appears the ball is back in ETNL's court.

Watching these monsters line up against each other is going to be so fracking cool!

(Bit of english humor there)

Nice evening here, no wind, red sunset, long kayak ride, swimming, kayak to the YC, back home to watch the second AC75 flying, let's have a good sleep now :)

1 minute ago, acnz said:

It's like someone puts the throttle down once the guy comes off the fore deck. 

I'd imagine standing on the deck would not be a good place to be when the hammer goes down.

16 minutes ago, hoom said:

But the first 10 seconds of non-foiling acceleration we've seen, I think including the test boats.

And the new vid is the first take-off, I think also including the test boats.

Seems pretty impressively clean.

I've been feeling disturbed by that red swirl on the sail since it was revealed but couldn't quite place it until I saw that vid then it struck me

d4a23469ca1587e631fe6ddebc24e200_f572.jp

Sufficiently grainy?? I ended up with sunburn and eyestrain waiting for them to sail back in, and unfortunately they were still miles away from me when they started packing up.

But they were foiling, and Mercury-less. 

DSC_6586-crop.jpg

DSC_6588.jpg

• Like 20

Going to be a rocketship. I think we all expected that anyhow. So far it looks like a boat where more complex design thought has gone into it than say the NYC boat? I say that lightly as it's early days but the NYC boat looks safe and simple. When we see all 4 boats sailing properly I think we're going to have stronger gut feelings. 2 Boats down and 2 to go. 2 very different hulls so far and shapes so it makes you wonder what Luna and Ineos will end up like?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Sufficiently grainy?? I ended up with sunburn and eyestrain waiting for them to sail back in, and unfortunately they were still miles away from me when they started packing up.

But they were foiling, and Mercury-less. 

DSC_6586-crop.jpg

DSC_6588.jpg

Tacking and gybing at will?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It looks like a massive boom and the sweeper under. I don't see how the mechanical main sheet works though.

Capture.PNG

Some crazy tech there on the clew. And the slot between the two leaches is open when sailing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Tacking and gybing at will?

Only straight lines as far as I could see, and long periods of faffing around in between. Wind may have been marginal when they came in closer to shore, looked like they paid Murray's Bay a visit?

• Like 2

Perfect weather for a first sail.  Looked incredible out there and Te Aehi looks impressive. I'm sure that it will be what we can't see that will make all the difference - and all the speculation while intriguing for us to speculate on will only be resolved when they come together to race.  The differences between the hulls may not be relevant if they are foiling at 100%. Rig and foil design and control will be everything.  It is going to take more than grainy photos for us armchair observers to learn anything worthwhile.

Looking forward to seeing some hi-res sailing images and the next 2 boats launching.  Can't come quickly enough.

1 hour ago, random said:

Steering wheel now on the port side?

you take it with you when you change sides.... saves weight  :D

Just now, overdraft said:

you take it with you when you change sides.... saves weight  :D

Saves more weight if the helmsman and the wheel go over the side at the same time, woops!

Perhaps electronic - Pete just takes it to best vantage point!!