Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Perry

Oregon Offshore Race

ICON , Perry 65'er, breaks the record for the Oregon Offshore Race by 4 hours and 50 minutes.

Congrats to Kevin Welch and the crew of ICON.

Many thanks guys.

ICONVanIsle_zpsc7b74e0d.jpg

It's sad that this great race, 194 miles up the coat of Oregon and Washington to Victoria BC get's so little attention on SA.

Maybe the crews should wear matching outfits, someone suggested.

Maybe they should speak with exotic foreign accents.

Maybe they should live on Chesapeake Bay, maybe San Diego.

We have a vital racing scene here in the great PNW.

One of the guys I've been sailing with for 10+ years now picked up a ride on Icon when she came out here for the Sydney to Hobart many years ago, he had plenty of good things to say about the boat both then and now innovation and performance wise. Still has all the crew gear which also makes regular appearances on our current boats as well.

Beautiful boat, great concept! Congratulations.

I don't want to sound sexist - but that's a real man's race.

more pics and info of the boat please! interior as well. beautiful boat front and back.

Bob,

Will you be in Victoria next week? Want to talk to you about a couple things regarding our boat.

J

Just a friendly observation that not only did "Icon" beat the record, but "Neptune's Car" and "Ocelot" did as well, with "Ocelot" correcting under IRC over both boats, with an IRC corrected finishing order of :

Ocelot

Neptune's Car

Icon

Just 35 minutes separated the 3 yachts on elapsed time, all 3 having beaten the previous record.

Congratulations to the crew of "Icon", as well as the other 2 record beating boats!

Great photo of beautiful ICON. It was fun following the trackers to check the exciting boat speeds and conditions. Fantastic finish times for many boats. : )

Lots of very popular races are no longer, (or minimally covered), on SA anymore. Perhaps because of countless trolls posting foolish crap. Thankfully, other social media and sailing sites have picked up and offer coverage which is better suited to sharing stories and photos. The best stories and great photos used to be shared on SA in the past. Not the case, anymore.

TheFlash - lots of women race offshore and/or in coastal races, in all sorts of conditions.

Nice, I can't find any results posted yet.

TheFlash - lots of women race offshore and/or in coastal races, in all sorts of conditions.

Of course they do - what I wanted to convey was this is a tough persons race. Impressive.

#1 & #3 overall for the SC27's, with a J/105 at #2. That must have been a hellish lumpy ride. Hats off.

#1 & #3 overall for the SC27's, with a J/105 at #2. That must have been a hellish lumpy ride. Hats off.

Impressive!

I reckon Ocelot would have a tougher time in a more traditional Oregon Offshore race. A south easterly made this a light displacement boat race.

Neptunes car got 28 knots top speed.

I reckon Ocelot would have a tougher time in a more traditional Oregon Offshore race. A south easterly made this a light displacement boat race.

Neptunes car got 28 knots top speed.

Ya think?

How about Jsoup's J/105 beating all the class A boats by 30 minutes or more and finishing fourth overall on the water?

We had fun on The Car. Way cool to finish that close with Icon and Ocelot.

10177872_685375001626_894875395463473402

10341882_685375006616_346015233788123128

Awesome shot of the Car.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Some of the best sailing I've ever done, and some of the most miserable. Definitely one to tell the grandchildren.
Never saw anything less than 15 knots up the coast, most of the time it was 20-25, with gusts to 35 knots. Boat speed was consistently 8-10 knots, lots of bursts to 12+.
But, it also poured rain from the moment we left the docks, until half way down the Straits. And, I mean poured. Everyone was soaked to the skin and cold. At one point, Paige, one of our crew and a pretty tough chick, said to me, "Can we turn the heat on?" :-)
I think we were competitive up until we broached in one of the 35 knot gusts. The spin pole managed to pop off its bayonet mount and through the only heavy spinnaker we have, tearing a nice gash. We also broke 3 battens, which stuck out of the side of the mainsail. We had to dial it back after that, but still managed to finish middle of the pack.
Total time was about 26.5 hours for an average speed of about 7.5 kn. The fastest I'd ever done the race before was 38h, but it's usually closer to 48h.
Sitting in Victoria, drying out the last of the cushions and bedding.
We missed you, Scott!

tk

CONGRATULATIONS to Captain Ward, Christa and Alex. Never have 4 people been as moist and and traveled so far, so fast and had type 3 fun.

Quotes of the day;

Ward "disconnect pole from the mast to initiate round down....err gybe

Christa (who had just sealed the deal on the sale of her own SC-27 just 24 hours earlier ) buyers remorse I don't think so!

Alex Weekend update..... Where the hell is Kokopelli?

Andy (where can I get a deal on a new stick?) Okay I've worn goggles upwind but downwind? really?

Probably the best day Anacortes Yacht Club has had since Night Runner won Swiftsure.

There must have been some magic in the wizard's hat he wore. Bill Lee truly broke the mold when he created such an awesome boat.

Nice work to all cap'n's and crew you brought em home safe and enjoyed that old whale pasture.

A special shout to the RC and all the volunteers that put this together, cheers to another 30 years!

It's sad that this great race, 194 miles up the coat of Oregon and Washington to Victoria BC get's so little attention on SA.

The Ed is too busy trashing the Fesnecks RC over their principled stand.

CONGRATULATIONS to Captain Ward, Christa and Alex. Never have 4 people been as moist and and traveled so far, so fast and had type 3 fun.

Quotes of the day;

Ward "disconnect pole from the mast to initiate round down....err gybe

Christa (who had just sealed the deal on the sale of her own SC-27 just 24 hours earlier ) buyers remorse I don't think so!

Alex Weekend update..... Where the hell is Kokopelli?

Andy (where can I get a deal on a new stick?) Okay I've worn goggles upwind but downwind? really?

Probably the best day Anacortes Yacht Club has had since Night Runner won Swiftsure.

There must have been some magic in the wizard's hat he wore. Bill Lee truly broke the mold when he created such an awesome boat.

Nice work to all cap'n's and crew you brought em home safe and enjoyed that old whale pasture.

A special shout to the RC and all the volunteers that put this together, cheers to another 30 years!

Awesome little boats!

Good to see the thread, what an epic Oregon Offshore. We were all crossing our fingers that the forecast would hold, and it sure did... Almost all under spinnaker, with just a few hours of jib time coming off the coast near Umatilla reef as the wind switched from SE to the predicted Westerly in time for the run down the straights. Thanks for the nice words, we were blown away about what we were seeing out of the J/105, was just lit up.

ive only had one ride in my life similar to that and it was reaching with a #3 ... awesome vid thank you.

ive only had one ride in my life similar to that and it was reaching with a #3 ... awesome vid thank you.

Nice!

Some snips from the J/105. Beginning is just after the start, then a decent boom in the water moment, followed by what most of the next 17 hours looked like.

Couple thoughts.

1 - phew i almost worried that would show video of a 105 planing.

2 - did your trimmer blow out that kite from letting it collapse and fill too much

3 - I heard the diving klaxons go off in my head when your poor bow guy was submerged right before the spin out.

Cool!

LH - 1 - we all know there is no real danger of that

2 - nope, though I agree it looks bad in that video, it only took a few minutes to get used to the surfs and trimming fast enough. We did get the hang of it and that sail is still going strong.

3. Always fun to show your worse wipeout on SA, luckily 105 wipeouts are pretty tame.

that one dude (on what i think is icon) running around on deck w/o a tether (?) scared me. video made me seasick but no tether looked pretty bold. must be cold water, fast boat going in the teens w/a chute up in those conditions looked like not me. maybe it was not that bouncy but ....not me thanks.

that one dude (on what i think is icon) running around on deck w/o a tether (?) scared me. video made me seasick but no tether looked pretty bold. must be cold water, fast boat going in the teens w/a chute up in those conditions looked like not me. maybe it was not that bouncy but ....not me thanks.

Made me nervous too. Standing next to the shrouds while looking aft but not even holding on to the shroud?

Icon made it look like lake sailing compared to how it was on our Mumm 36, even after we blew out our only heavy air kite. Sailing under a reefed main and heavy jib, the foredeck was one hairy place to be!!

Great fun fast race other than the cold and wet.

Congrats to the SC 27's and the Soup crew for their great race!

They are doing a great job with lots of commentary, links, etc. at the blog for the race at oregonoffshore.org.

what is kokopelli ? looks like you guys had some real boat speed there for a bit.

what is kokopelli ? looks like you guys had some real boat speed there for a bit.

Santa Cruz 27. Fast is fun!

that's what I thought, just didn't wanna swing and miss. thing hauls the mail !!

Great vid, but two words of advice from the old SC 27 "Lowrider" #124 HATCH BOARD!

nahh, being from the Bay wont help LOL

in fact.. probably make it worse!

sounds like a fun race

regardless of ideal sailing angle we would always have an assistant helmsman to leeward to steer out of a windward roll like that. That broach might have been avoidable.

We had a southeasterly wind on the west coast, very strange.This made for a wave pattern that is contradictory to normal wind and wave angles and heating up did not help rolling to windward. Every 10-15 minutes you would get hit by waves coming at unexpected directions and it would really test the driver. I'm sure there are hours of pretty boring footage sailing in perfect control. But what fun is that!post-23240-0-69597000-1401418787_thumb.jpg

Yup, definitely some unique, challenging, record breaking conditions this year. At one point we were about to wipe out and a wave came from a different angle and slapped the bow back down and on track. Lots of bow stuffing, but also some fun prolonged surfs. Posted some snippets a bit ago, here's a bit longer one with some add'l wipeout footage that might fire up the J/105 blasters? Agree with Deadbeat, lots of less interesting footage, but why not show the good stuff. https://vimeo.com/95285479

I don't see a thread, or any comments about 2015, so pulled this one back up. 2016 is the 40th running of the Oregon Offshore. Who's in? Soup took a break in '15, but planning on joining in the fun again this year.

Unfortunately, crew doesn't have the time to do both the OO and the PacCup, so VELOCITY is out. Don't know how you guys managed a trifecta in 2014!

We're hoping to bring the Olson down for the race, just need to finalize some delivery logistics.

Excellent!

Unfortunately, crew doesn't have the time to do both the OO and the PacCup, so VELOCITY is out. Don't know how you guys managed a trifecta in 2014!

Bummed that we are out of phase with the Stumptown boats doing PacCup. Good luck on that! Helped that we trailered back down from up North to Oakland. Glad we didn't miss that year!