• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

I sailed on NZL-82 in Cabo a few years ago but I'm not sure if it is still there. Good times!

I found Young Australia on the southern shore of Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta) last week. It was being used for a floating deck chair platform complete with palapa. Very sad. :(

I sailed on NZL-82 in Cabo a few years ago but I'm not sure if it is still there. Good times!

I found Young Australia on the southern shore of Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta) last week. It was being used for a floating deck chair platform complete with palapa. Very sad. :(

Got to helm NZL 82 through most of a little tacking duel in Cabo a few years ago too, against NZL 81. It was a nice enough operation, hope it's still going too.

Sad about YA, it had been in Cabo when I was there; and unfortunately I suspect the NZL boats headed that direction too. I suppose there is a shelf life, with keels that heavy.

As many around Chicago know, the Stars & Stripes catamaran from 1988 is sitting on the north side of Crowley's yard in pieces. It was covered with a two-sided enclosure, but it's easy to see/recognize from the open ends, presumably still in salvageable condition. Last campaigned by Steve Fossett?

As many around Chicago know, the Stars & Stripes catamaran from 1988 is sitting on the north side of Crowley's yard in pieces. It was covered with a two-sided enclosure, but it's easy to see/recognize from the open ends, presumably still in salvageable condition. Last campaigned by Steve Fossett?

According to the Morelli & Melvin website, the Stars & Stripes catamaran is for sale for $99,000.

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/brokerage/sail.html

That S&S cat raced the ChiMac a few years ago, right? Was in Florida before.

The wingsailed S&S that won the Cup sank in a wind storm about ten years ago while moored, wing up, on a mountain lake 60 miles SW of Mexico City. Somebody here posted pics of the boat back-when, they'd been on the lake for a big regatta.

America II is here in Hawaii. Was on Maui in Lahaina giving tourists rides into the Molokai Channel. Some of the most fun I had on sailboat on those trips. It wasnt one of those sailboat rides where they barely set sail, and are lucky to heal 10 degrees. They loaded up the canvas, took her into the windiest channel, with the biggest swells, and it was a sleighride. I should note, one year they lost a mast while on one of these excursions and had to be rescued. No one was hurt luckily, but the owner put a new mast on her in a matter of weeks and they were off and running. The boat is now in Ala Wai Marina on Oahu. I believe its for sale.

3g2.jpg

3g4.jpg

The wingsailed S&S that won the Cup sank in a wind storm about ten years ago while moored, wing up, on a mountain lake 60 miles SW of Mexico City. Somebody here posted pics of the boat back-when, they'd been on the lake for a big regatta.

Didn't know that, but wiki says you're right. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_%26_Stripes_(yacht)

Didn't know that, but wiki says you're right. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_%26_Stripes_(yacht)

This boat was owned locally in the Tampa Bay area, and I raced against her a handful of times, once being the old Clearwater to Key West Race. (she had to have a shadow powerboat following along) The boat went up to the Mackinac race as a charter/purchase arrangement and dropped the rig. They bouyed it to come back and salvage but the CF was delaminated from the pressure. Last I heard in conversation was that she was repaired and some litigation was going-on over the deal.

My brother sailed on her early-on, and also got to step on-board DZ, so one of a small group that stepped aboard a pair of DoG multihulls, although not the S&S wing sailed cat from the match.

There's an 1987 era Stars & Stripes 12 Meter in use on Hilton Head Island. Boat apparently was one of as many as four built by that campaign that cycle and was only used as a trial horse against other S&S stablemates.

She looks about as well as can be expected and apparently gets a lot of use as a charter boat/evening sail deal for tourists. Little bit undignified but beats the alternative of having become a Schlitz can in about 1990.

There's an 1987 era Stars & Stripes 12 Meter in use on Hilton Head Island. Boat apparently was one of as many as four built by that campaign that cycle and was only used as a trial horse against other S&S stablemates.

She looks about as well as can be expected and apparently gets a lot of use as a charter boat/evening sail deal for tourists. Little bit undignified but beats the alternative of having become a Schlitz can in about 1990.

That's the 1st S&S built for the '87 campaign. The boat in HHI was never more than a trial horse. Colin Percy owns 5 12's. Three are in St. Maarten (Stars & Stripes (US-55, the actual AC winner), Canada II and True North IV) the other two are in Cozumel, I think (Stars & Stripes (US-56) and True North). He runs a 12-meter challenge thing for tourists.

http://www.12metre.com/

That's the 1st S&S built for the '87 campaign. The boat in HHI was never more than a trial horse. Colin Percy owns 5 12's. Three are in St. Maarten (Stars & Stripes (US-55, the actual AC winner), Canada II and True North IV) the other two are in Cozumel, I think (Stars & Stripes (US-56) and True North). He runs a 12-meter challenge thing for tourists.

http://www.12metre.com/

S&S had '85, '86, & '87 built and modified the 1983 trial boat Spirit to test the wing keel set-up. I think '86 ended-up as 56, with '85 as 54, and Spirit was her original 40 something.

According to the Morelli & Melvin website, the Stars & Stripes catamaran is for sale for $99,000.

It was raced in the Bayview Mac a few years ago and dropped the mast close to the finish if I remember correctly. It was supposed to sail the Chicago Mac the following week but there was no way to fix it in time. Have not heard of it sailing since

I would love to know what happened to the two Young America boats after Luna Rossa bought them. I know they used them as trial horses for the 2003 campaign but they then disappeared; I presume somewhere in Italy.

Unfortunately, this boat and that part of the yacht club embody the boom and bust of Spain in general and Valencia in particular. Stay tuned for another photo, maybe this summer or next winter, as ESP-67 (former USA-67) is docked a couple of meters away...

Unfortunately, this boat and that part of the yacht club embody the boom and bust of Spain in general and Valencia in particular. Stay tuned for another photo, maybe this summer or next winter, as ESP-67 (former USA-67) is docked a couple of meters away...

Fell off, or was stolen? That keel was/is the single most valuable piece of that boat! The lead alone worth over $30,000.00us.

As does this...

2yn56w2.jpg

and this...

1gizax.jpg

Complete joke is what happened to USA-65, but it isn't just a Valencia and/or Spain issue. This shit is happening all over the world at venues like this. Try Athens and the nice baseball, softball and beach volley ball venues they built. All on their way to join the Parthenon in the ruin industry.

The days of fancy Olympic and AC venues like Valenicia are ancient history, literally. To bad.

And here is my attempt to brighten the mood in this thread with my favorite IACC boat and her appropriate final resting place.

33wb7nt.jpg

WetHog :ph34r:

Mr. Pierre,

How about snapping some pictures of Alinghi 5 from 2010 while you get more pictures of Desafio's eye soars? Would be nice to compare pictures of what has become of the 2 boats from AC33.

Mr. Pierre,

How about snapping some pictures of Alinghi 5 from 2010 while you get more pictures of Desafio's eye soars? Would be nice to compare pictures of what has become of the 2 boats from AC33.

Do you think Bertatelli feels any guilt for abandoning that boat like a smelly turd in a Valencia hotel bathroom for someone else to clean up?

The least he could have done was tow it out to sea and give it a proper send off.

Mr. Pierre,

Eye sore!

Mr. Pierre,

Do you think Bertatelli feels any guilt for abandoning that boat like a smelly turd in a Valencia hotel bathroom for someone else to clean up?

The least he could have done was tow it out to sea and give it a proper send off.

Actually I thought putting it in front of SNG as a tramp for the kiddies to play on was a good use for A5. I guess he just wanted to "make it go away".

Put it on the opposite side of the Oracle pond, flat-footed, just like it was when they entered the start box.

Well Australia II (KA-6) is in the Maritime Museum in WA of course

Kookaburra (KA-11) and Spirit of Australia (AUS-21) are still sailing on Sydney Harbour for commercial hire from Sailing Sydney.

Australia (KA-5) and Steak and Kidney (KA-14) are owned by Australian Twelves Association Historic Trust.

JPN-41 and GER-68 run match races in Auckland as part of the sailnz.co.nz group. Painted as ETNZ boats.

They've got NZL-60, USA-98 and NZL-92 up on the hard as well.

JPN-41 and GER-68 run match races in Auckland as part of the sailnz.co.nz group. Painted as ETNZ boats.

Wow USA-98 is in NZL but USA-87 isn't with her? Last I heard of those boats was after the last Pacific Series event. Both were for sale as a pair with a shit load of spare gear and support stuff to go with them.

Didn't think they were gonna have luck selling them, but I didn't think they would split them up either. Same goes for NZL-84 and NZL-92, splitting up that is. Oh well.

Spargo, pictures of USA-98 and NZL-92 would be great, but don't go out of your way either.

Thanks for the info.

WetHog

Google earth shows them at Bringham St, Viaduct Harbour, between the fuel tanks and the car yard

USA 98 and 87 were sold in Dubai at the conclusion of the Dubai LV regatta in 2010. They were purchased by a German businessman.

Included in the sale was 4 rigs, a 40' container of spare parts for each boat, a 40' container of sails and the two Duarry 44' chase boats that were custom built in Barcelona.

Thanks for the info. They were sold together, but now they are apart. Wonder what happened to USA-87.

WetHog

One or both of the ETNZ painted boats moved to Sydney a year or two back. Kookaburra Sailing lists AUS-40 which I think is listed as a Challenge France boat originally.

GII2012 at the ANMM Wooden boats show, her teak deck and shiney metalwork (not shown) is a joy to look at.

But sadly powered winches and a cruising layout has compromised her ability to seriously race again

Was this spare 20 tonne keel the final (fastest) keel designed by Ben Lexcen for Australia IV that they wanted to fit just before the finals against Kookaburra III, but weren't allowed the extra day off to fit it?

GII2012 at the ANMM Wooden boats show, her teak deck and shiney metalwork (not shown) is a joy to look at.

But sadly powered winches and a cruising layout has compromised her ability to seriously race again

But she is being used at least! We sail her quite a bit with the hydraulics off - good exercise grinding in with winch handles..and I'm not sure that she would have ever "seriously raced" again if she had stayed rotting at ANMM!!

Was this spare 20 tonne keel the final (fastest) keel designed by Ben Lexcen for Australia IV that they wanted to fit just before the finals against Kookaburra III, but weren't allowed the extra day off to fit it?

Maybe that explains why Australia IV was soo off the pace in the Defender Finals vs Kookaburra III

These were taken 17 days ago in San Diego (6/17/2014). We heard the the tour guide in the rear boat talking to the group say something about the "boat in front was led by Dennis Connor". We couldn't hear everything though so I'm not sure.

IMAG1126_zpsc408fa28.jpg

IMAG1129_zps009e7eea.jpg

These were taken 17 days ago in San Diego (6/17/2014). We heard the the tour guide in the rear boat talking to the group say something about the "boat in front was led by Dennis Connor". We couldn't hear everything though so I'm not sure.

IMAG1126_zpsc408fa28.jpg

IMAG1129_zps009e7eea.jpg

The paint schemes suggest 'Abracadabra' and 'Stars and Stripes', but the sail numbers are wrong.

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IACC_yachts

This is most likely USA-49 and USA-50, but in no way does the blue paint reflect America One.

USA-50 Abracadabra Sailed in LVC R-R 1 & 2 Acquired in 2005 by Next Level Sailing (San Diego, CA) for competition in local regattas. Currently sitting in south San Diego Bay in dry dock at Knight and Carver Marina, National City, California next to USA-49. http://www.nextlevelsailing.com/ USA-49 AmericaOne Sailed in LVC R-R 1,2, & 3 Involved in minor collision in the early rounds of AC2000 with USA-55 Stars and Stripes. Acquired by BMW Oracle Racing in advance of AC2003. Acquired 2006 by Next Level Sailing (San Diego, CA). Currently sitting in south San Diego Bay in dry dock at Knight and Carver Marina, National City, California next to USA-50. http://www.nextlevelsailing.com/

When you look at the website USA-49 is right, but they claim the other boat to be USA-34

http://www.nextlevelsailing.com/

I have a whole bunch more but being taken on my 8mp phone camera they are too big. once I get around to re-sizing them I will post a thread about the exhibition

Thanks looking forward to it . How about a few " hoes " in the mix :)

Thanks for posting that link. Fabulous show about fantastic boats. And the Ranger folk singing my favorite song, buy the #1 Redneck of all time, was priceless.

As someone mentioned, USA 11 is actively sailing for charter in San Diego. Owner Mark sails with a crew of 6 or so and they are all very laid back nice people who are genuinely interested in keeping the boat in great shape but don't take that to mean they won't drop the rails. We sailed on her last week and it was a lot of fun. Will return.

http://www.sailusa11.com

Not affiliated.

-Greg.

It was raced in the Bayview Mac a few years ago and dropped the mast close to the finish if I remember correctly. It was supposed to sail the Chicago Mac the following week but there was no way to fix it in time. Have not heard of it sailing since

I seem to recall the boat starting the Chi/Mac race in '99 but it's been a long time.

As someone mentioned, USA 11 is actively sailing for charter in San Diego. Owner Mark sails with a crew of 6 or so and they are all very laid back nice people who are genuinely interested in keeping the boat in great shape but don't take that to mean they won't drop the rails. We sailed on her last week and it was a lot of fun. Will return.

http://www.sailusa11.com

Not affiliated.

-Greg.

I sailed on USA 11 for 2 seasons on SF bay as part of the IACC Sausalito Series . Great boat and a true sense of power when it gets loaded up . A worthy trip for those so inclined . Glad to see they are keeping her active .

and as mentioned above, here are the Oracle and TNZ boats used in the LV Pacific series

NZL-92 and i think USA-98?

attachicon.gifIMG_20130531_130328.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20130531_130346.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20130531_130751.jpg

In that yard is NZL-38 and NZL-60 (both shrinkwrapped) and NZL84&92 (unwrapped and stripped of deck gear). Dock chat when I worked around the Viaduct is that Oracle left USA-87 & 98 + containers in Dubai after the Louis Vuitton Trophy regatta, didn't see the point in shipping them anywhere. They may even be able to be spotted on google maps close to the yacht club.

and as mentioned above, here are the Oracle and TNZ boats used in the LV Pacific series

NZL-92 and i think USA-98?

attachicon.gifIMG_20130531_130328.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20130531_130346.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20130531_130751.jpg

In that yard is NZL-38 and NZL-60 (both shrinkwrapped) and NZL84&92 (unwrapped and stripped of deck gear). Dock chat when I worked around the Viaduct is that Oracle left USA-87 & 98 + containers in Dubai after the Louis Vuitton Trophy regatta, didn't see the point in shipping them anywhere. They may even be able to be spotted on google maps close to the yacht club.

They were for sale on yachtworld.com a while back,

For sale again

--

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4685880135.html

Built by the USSR and flown to the states in the belly of an Antonov jet, this vessel is a piece of history. The "Age of Russia" is now outfitted for cruising and has a 90 foot rig as opposed to the original 125 feet.

the boat draws 13' but turns on a dime and will do at least 18 knots, with cruising speed between 8-10 knots.

I've sailed it from Canada down the West coast to LA, and up to the Bay Area where she's been slipped for over a year..

This boat is an incredible world class racer, but needs a fair bit more rigging, outfitting, and some better sails (the one's aboard are adequate and heavy duty) .

For sale again

--

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4685880135.html

Built by the USSR and flown to the states in the belly of an Antonov jet, this vessel is a piece of history. The "Age of Russia" is now outfitted for cruising and has a 90 foot rig as opposed to the original 125 feet.

the boat draws 13' but turns on a dime and will do at least 18 knots, with cruising speed between 8-10 knots.

I've sailed it from Canada down the West coast to LA, and up to the Bay Area where she's been slipped for over a year..

This boat is an incredible world class racer, but needs a fair bit more rigging, outfitting, and some better sails (the one's aboard are adequate and heavy duty) .

First time I've seen an IACC converted to anything remotely resembling a cruising boat...

There does seem to be a LOT of space under that cabin top!

the latest winner is outside my window in downtown SF, on the street at Moscone Convention Center, acting as a cafe overhead. For this week anyway.

^^^ Not really.

The IACC/ACC rules carried over some of the measurement protocols and controls of the 12m rule, and its basic rating formula yielded a result that could not exceed 24.000m. But the boat was never intended to be a scaled-up 12m, and did not treat all measured parameters the same way they were treated in the 12m rule.

For example, the 12m rule sets a minimum displacement (measured as weight, not volume) without penalty for a given waterline length. The IACC/ACC rules set a maximum permitted weight (irrespective of waterline length) that a yacht can be without penalty.

In the case of the 12m rule, being under the required minimum weight results in a punitive addition to measured length in the formula. In the IACC/ACC rules, exceeding maximum non-penalty weight results in a punitive addition to measured length in the formula.

^^^ Not really.

The IACC/ACC rules carried over some of the measurement protocols and controls of the 12m rule, and its basic rating formula yielded a result that could not exceed 24.000m.

I thought the answer was 42?

Urban myth then. Always thought the design committee had a literary sense of humor:

"Yacht designers have leeway in varying the dimensions of length, sail area and displacement to optimize an IACC yacht for specific sailing conditions, provided the result equals 42 meters."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-05-03/sports/9101220325_1_yacht-designers-yacht-club-iacc

^^^ You may be right for the first (IACC) version of the rule. For later iterations (the ACC rule), I believe the divisor in the rating formula was changed so that the rating limit was 24.000m, which approximated the length of many of the boats.

The IACC number most likely related to the boat in the same way that '12' in the 12m rule did, it was the answer to the calculations and nothing more. I think the early boats of the IACC rule were not as long as the later ones with the elongated stern overhangs. A-Cubed was 78' and the later boats were near 82' IIRC.

The rule makers were quite clear at the time - when they wrote the IACC rule they chose one factor such that each boat's specs when put into the equation had to give the result of 42 - for it to be class legal.

A nice touch I thought...

^^^

That "one factor" is the divisor. By changing it, you can make the dividend, and therefore the "rating" for purposes of the formula, come out to anything you want. For example, the 12m rule's divisor is 2.37, so that the "above the line number" cannot exceed 28.440.

For later versions of the ACC rule, the divisor was 0.686, so that the above the line number cannot exceed 16.464 for the result to be <= 24.000 m, as was the rating limit in V.5.0 (dated 15 December, 2003) of the ACC Class Rule. The "above the line" part of the rule may look simple, but it contains a huge number of variables that have to be juggled to come up with the best boat.

Unfortunately, I don't have a first-generation (1990) version of the IACC rule handy to check the formula, but someone here probably does.

As I recall, the "International" was dropped from the IACC class name because ISAF objected, since they seem to have exclusive rights to that term when it comes to class names.

I suspect that several of the IACC Rule's original authors were fans of the "Hitch Hikers's Guide...."

I garbled my explanation a bit. Holding the dividend constant, you can make the solution to the formula anything you want just by varying the divisor.

Note that displacement is a direct input into the ACC formula, but not into the 12m formula. Displacement enters into the 12m formula only as a correction to L if DSPL is less than the minimum required for the boat's LWL. LWL doesn't enter into the formula, either. It just sets the minimum non-penalty DSPL.

As a bit of trivia, the 12m was/is a class defined by the International Rule. The J Class was/is defined by the Universal Rule, created by Nat Herreshoff as the US answer to the European International Rule.. The tension between US and European rating/handicapping/design rules is nothing new. The International Rule "answer" is in metres of rating. The Universal Rule "answer" is in feet.

I'll crawl back under my rock now......