• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

I just don't understand.

While I can truly appreciate the sensation of driving a 12M upwind, fetishizing either 12 or IACC designs of any vintage is akin to wishing one's sister was fucking Terry Bradshaw.

Let's face it, these yachts are relics of pathetic rules, rooted in antiquity by those who could not appreciate the power of change.

Even Herreshoff knew they were dogs a hundred years before they were drawn.

I think for the most part many of us here have some form of connection to them. Me for example, my father in-law won the AC on Intrepid in 1970.

I just don't understand.

While I can truly appreciate the sensation of driving a 12M upwind, fetishizing either 12 or IACC designs of any vintage is akin to wishing one's sister was fucking Terry Bradshaw.

Let's face it, these yachts are relics of pathetic rules, rooted in antiquity by those who could not appreciate the power of change.

I think for the most part many of us here have some form of connection to them. Me for example, my father in-law won the AC on Intrepid in 1970.

My favorite boat of all and the one that got me interested in serious racing . I'll bet your father in law has some great stories .

I just don't understand.

and yet they sailed in +15kt...

I just don't understand.

My favorite boat of all and the one that got me interested in serious racing . I'll bet your father in law has some great stories .

My favorite is the discussion about the percentage of rod rigging left which is acceptable as the wire genoa sheets wore through it as the day progress is entertaining. Especially with the flailing arms explaining what happens when the threshold was crossed and the rig came down.

When all the AC alumn get together, it's hilarious. We were all out in SF for the last cup and I should have live streamed the conversations.

My wife and I I often think an open screening of "Wind" at the Jane Pickes Theater with a rotating cast of commentators ala Mystery Science Theater 3K style would be a great and hysterical fundraiser.

I just don't understand.

All those relics of the past built up a huge following for the AC.....which is now being eroded with all the bollocks that Oracle is delivering.

Thats the America3 boat Jayhawk, I believe. The 1st of four boats for America3. Bill Koch is from Kansas, so thats why its on the coast of the Arkansas River. ;)

USA-18 Defiant is in Newport and USA-23 America3 is in West Palm Beach, FL. USA-28 Kanza was last reported owned by +39 so who knows what happened to that boat.

Great shots though. She has probably been sitting there 20 years. She looks pretty good.

I do appreciate you sharing.

WetHog :ph34r:

It's the F1 of sailing don'cha know! :lol:

America's Cup Yachts to Call Chicago Home in New Racing Venture

thumbnail.jpg By Paul Biasco on March 23, 2015 8:53am
larger.jpg Next Level Sailing will launch in Chicago in May.
Next Level Sailing

LINCOLN PARK — Two of the most famous America's Cup-class yachts in the world — with masts more than 100 feet tall — will be regularly racing along the lakefront this summer.

The boats were bought by two sailing champions who plan to bring the thrill of skimming along the water to the rest of the non-sailing world.

Lincoln Park residents Paul Schulz and Ryan Weber plan to launch Next Level Sailing Chicago in May, allowing residents and visitors to Chicago to take part in state-of-the-art sailing races.

"It's like a Formula 1 car for sailing," Weber said.

The boats both raced in the America's Cup and can reach speeds of up to 25 mph downwind.

"There aren't a lot of people who get to experience this," Weber said. "Even people in the sailing community are going nuts right now."

The spin continues here... http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150323/lincoln-park/americas-cup-yachts-call-chicago-home-new-racing-venture

Nothing like responding to a year plus post, but weren't these two boats in San Diego before their move to Chicago?

That's right Wethog. I was in Wichita for just one day a few years ago and when I looked out my hotel room window there was a 12 meter planted in the prairie.

The amount of engineering that went into that now kinda ridiculous keel bulb was staggering, according to the placard. I recall it mentioned 40 or 60 engineers worked on it. Whatever the number it was absurd.

The days of keels hidden behind a curtain! It's .01 knots faster with the winglets! Hold on tight Mr. Billionare Sir!

What did that rule cost? And how many years did the AC absorb all the big development dollars?

Good stuff nonetheless. Those curtains were very funny.

Thats the America3 boat Jayhawk, I believe. The 1st of four boats for America3. Bill Koch is from Kansas, so thats why its on the coast of the Arkansas River. ;)

USA-18 Defiant is in Newport and USA-23 America3 is in West Palm Beach, FL. USA-28 Kanza was last reported owned by +39 so who knows what happened to that boat.

Great shots though. She has probably been sitting there 20 years. She looks pretty good.

Quick sub Thread,

Of the (4) America Cubed.

The boat above is in Kansas, I know of (1) outside Herreshoff in Bristol and (1) last time I checked in a shed in Portsmouth RI (not in Melvile). Is the 4th in FL?

WetHog

Quick sub Thread,

Of the (4) America Cubed.

The boat above is in Kansas, I know of (1) outside Herreshoff in Bristol and (1) last time I checked in a shed in Portsmouth RI (not in Melvile). Is the 4th in FL?

1 - Jayhawk is in Kansas

2 - Defiant is in Newport at the Herreshoff Museum.

3 - America3, the Cup winner, is in West Palm Beach somewhere. I looked last night and couldn't find anything on it though.

4 - Kanza, not sure where it is. The only thing I could find on it was it was sold to +39 after AC31. So in Italy somewhere.

Dunno, whether this has already been posted hereabouts... Actually, it can never be posted too often:

Yes, this is definitely cool, especially catching the moment when the halyard breaks on Resolute.

I just don't understand.

My favorite is the discussion about the percentage of rod rigging left which is acceptable as the wire genoa sheets wore through it as the day progress is entertaining. Especially with the flailing arms explaining what happens when the threshold was crossed and the rig came down.

When all the AC alumn get together, it's hilarious. We were all out in SF for the last cup and I should have live streamed the conversations.

My wife and I I often think an open screening of "Wind" at the Jane Pickes Theater with a rotating cast of commentators ala Mystery Science Theater 3K style would be a great and hysterical fundraiser.

Now THAT would be entertaining!

For some reason I found myself checking Google Maps in Valencia, Spain last night and noticed a few things:

1. Alinghi 5 (cat) and one of their IACCs are still parked together

2. Two other IACCs are in the basin - the German boat and the hull used for the AC experience

3. The two Desafio (I think both are ex-One World) hulls are laying on the ground with their keel bulbs cut off on one of the breakwaters

Sad end to such an ambitious project to create a sailing community there in Valencia. I wasn't a fan of Alinghi, back in the day, but I have to say I am less of a fan of Larry Ellison's show now...come to think of it the common denominator is Russell Coutts...

Think Crusader from 87 is in Harwich UK last I heard. Victory 82 in a cradle at Battlesbridge Essex UK I believe.

Sailed 82 several years ago in 25+ knots. Hydraulics failed at the start. Somehow we got it back in one piece.......

Had one go at grinding to say I'd done it but it doesn't suit my racing snake physique :-) Once was enough. Kudos to all grinders. They are insane.

Know one or two from the 82/83 crew who still reckon 82 may have been the quicker of the two (believe 82 won the 12 metre worlds) but they were never allowed to be two boated....

Believe the 83 mast was pretty radical but overshadowed by some fandangled keel !

When 83 arrived in the Caribbean they stripped all the gear off 82 and put it on 83. 82 was towed up the canals and dumped in NY.

Apparently masts are one of the most sought after bits today.

Still think 12s are amazing boats. My era I guess.

Me on the back of Victory 82 :-)

IMG 3440

Will be in Valencia shortly - will see if I can take a trip down to the port and have a look.

Got some other slight unusual old shots but need to get back to my server to find them.

Think Crusader from 87 is in Harwich UK last I heard. Victory 82 in a cradle at Battlesbridge Essex UK I believe.

Sailed 82 several years ago in 25+ knots. Hydraulics failed at the start. Somehow we got it back in one piece.......

Had one go at grinding to say I'd done it but it doesn't suit my racing snake physique :-) Once was enough. Kudos to all grinders. They are insane.

Know one or two from the 82/83 crew who still reckon 82 may have been the quicker of the two (believe 82 won the 12 metre worlds) but they were never allowed to be two boated....

Believe the 83 mast was pretty radical but overshadowed by some fandangled keel !

When 83 arrived in the Caribbean they stripped all the gear off 82 and put it on 83. 82 was towed up the canals and dumped in NY.

Apparently masts are one of the most sought after bits today.

Still think 12s are amazing boats. My era I guess.

I'm with you Reetp. I love the 12s. Were I to have a bunch of money to waste I would pick up Australia III & IV and restore them. Love the lines of the 12s. Looking forward to seeing your posts with pics of the abandoned IACCs and Alinghi 5!

Who, where & when ?

Team Origin, off Valencia and not sure when, but during the supposed annual regatta by EB's made up COR (embarrassed to say I cannot remember its name) that had its headquarters in Desafio's boat shed.

For some reason I found myself checking Google Maps in Valencia, Spain last night and noticed a few things:

2. Two other IACCs are in the basin - the German boat and the hull used for the AC experience

3. The two Desafio (I think both are ex-One World) hulls are laying on the ground with their keel bulbs cut off on one of the breakwaters

Sad end to such an ambitious project to create a sailing community there in Valencia. I wasn't a fan of Alinghi, back in the day, but I have to say I am less of a fan of Larry Ellison's show now...come to think of it the common denominator is Russell Coutts...

Indeed it is sad.

sb0hhc.jpg

My guess is the IACC boat behind the cat is SUI-100. The AC32 Cup winner. SUI-91 was sold to the German team and I think I read SUI-64 is tucked away for safe keeping somewhere because it has a special spot in EB's heart.

Looking over google earth at Valencia a couple things I noticed:

1. BMWO and LR"s bases are gone. Replaced with new buildings.

2. Alingh's base looks as it always has. Wonder what its used for.

3. +39 and Shosholoza's bases are gone too.

4. Bases on the opposite side of the marina are still there, for the most part.

5. Seems every where you look you can see pieces of the F1 track. Another abandoned edifice.

6. Never did find the German IACC boat or the 2 Desafio boats on the breakers. Did find the AC display boat adjacent to the Alinghi base though.

7. Yeah its looking at satellite pictures, but I was struck with just how shabby the marina area looks. Sad to see for sure.

What is the deal with Alinghi 5 though? Its been sitting there for how long now? 6 years? Is it being saved for something? Crazy.

WetHog

Luna Rossa base is still there, it´s the Mascalzone Latino base that has been replaced together with Oracle BMW.

The 2 Desafio IACC can be found here:

https://www.google.de/maps/place/39°25'15.2%22N+0%C2%B019'03.9%22W/@39.420903,-0.3182975,195m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d39.420902!4d-0.317749

Are they doing a stability test?

Google MAPS has newer pictures than EARTH.

But look closer on the 2014 picture from EARTH. The 2 IACC are in the harbour and the keel has fallen off 1 boat so it is lying capsized in the harbour just above its today position on the breakwater.

Who, where & when ?

Team Origin, off Valencia and not sure when, but during the supposed annual regatta by EB's made up COR (embarrassed to say I cannot remember its name) that had its headquarters in Desafio's boat shed.

Yup.... 2011 I think but I need to check the dates. I got a 'media' pass to go watch. Barely any media at all.... very low profile. Great opportunity. Long chat with Sir Ainslie who also gave my boys a guided tour of the boat and met with all the crew. A ticket money couldn't buy ! Got some more pics at home I'll post later. The ones afloat are cos I asked to go on a media boat. The girl running it saud she could but apologised cos it would be static boat. It was actually the committee boat :-) The banter was great !

Also covered the 33rd DoG match which was fun.

I'll try and get down to Valencia in the next few weeks to survey the wreckage.... I actually live 40 mins away. They are slowly redeveloping the are as the economy picks up so all the bases will dosappear eventually.

Rgds

Reetp

For Valencia I have Nov 2008 - something like Saturday 8th from the timestamps

PB090174

PB090177

Some AC33 stuff

IMG 0906

IMG 0912

IMG 0921

IMG 0927

IMG 0951

IMG 0955

IMG 0957

IMG 1269

South Australia

Since 2015 (March) Steve Bowden, a British citizen, sailing in the Solent and also in the Mediterranean. South Australia was purchased at a very low price and she has been moved in the Solent for this year, but is said to return in the Mediterranean in the futurs. She will be repainted according to the original version.

http://www.12mrclass.com/yachts/detail/273-itemId.511707139.html

South Australia Restoration page

https://12mryacht.wordpress.com/restoration/

South Australia

Since 2015 (March) Steve Bowden, a British citizen, sailing in the Solent and also in the Mediterranean. South Australia was purchased at a very low price and she has been moved in the Solent for this year, but is said to return in the Mediterranean in the futurs. She will be repainted according to the original version.

http://www.12mrclass.com/yachts/detail/273-itemId.511707139.html

South Australia Restoration page

https://12mryacht.wordpress.com/restoration/

Looks like it is in good hands , great to see :)

Does anybody know what finally happened to Liberty? Not that it matters but so much- after all, It WAS the first American boat to lose the AC, but it is a fairly important, if dubious piece of AC history. You'd think someone might have wanted it to preserve it. 12mrclass.com has it listed as being sold to an "unknown Japanese owner" back in '89. Is that code for "Dennis had it trucked over to the Budweiser facility to make beer cans out of it in return for more sponsorship $$ for the '87 effort"? Kidding, but is it weird that THAT particular boat just disappeared? Kinda the most notorious 12 ever, next to AUS II......

Advance was the ugliest 12 above and below the waterline ever built, and I believe it ended up in some Michigan boatyard in multiple pieces later in its life. That I can see. It was a dog in all ways possible and I think it won 2 races overall in summer '83, both most likely flukes(poor Iain Murray, but I'd say the man landed on his feet). But...the boat that lost the Cup for the second time in 132 years? Maybe no one wanted it because of the psychological voodoo associated with it?

Speaking of '87 AC...........it amused me to no end that not one of the challengers or defenders showed up with a red boat that year.......

Does anybody know what finally happened to Liberty? Not that it matters but so much- after all, It WAS the first American boat to lose the AC, but it is a fairly important, if dubious piece of AC history. You'd think someone might have wanted it to preserve it. 12mrclass.com has it listed as being sold to an "unknown Japanese owner" back in '89. Is that code for "Dennis had it trucked over to the Budweiser facility to make beer cans out of it in return for more sponsorship $$ for the '87 effort"? Kidding, but is it weird that THAT particular boat just disappeared? Kinda the most notorious 12 ever, next to AUS II......

Advance was the ugliest 12 above and below the waterline ever built, and I believe it ended up in some Michigan boatyard in multiple pieces later in its life. That I can see. It was a dog in all ways possible and I think it won 2 races overall in summer '83, both most likely flukes(poor Iain Murray, but I'd say the man landed on his feet). But...the boat that lost the Cup for the second time in 132 years? Maybe no one wanted it because of the psychological voodoo associated with it?

Speaking of '87 AC...........it amused me to no end that not one of the challengers or defenders showed up with a red boat that year.......

DC bought Liberty, painted it white, and was even used in a Diet Pepsi commercial behind the cat. Not sure what happened after he sold it.

No purely red boat has ever won the AC. I guess red bows don't hurt performance too much.

Liberty has a facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/12MetreLiberty/

Per facebook:

12 Metre Liberty was designed by Johan Valentijn for the 1983 America's Cup. She was built in Newport by Newport Offshore Ltd. Although her current location is unknown, she is believed to have sunk in Kobe, Japan harbor in the early 1990's.

You "kNoW wHo" also has a peculiar fetish with painting everything Red; to much lesser levels of success than even those poor contenders mentioned above.....

China Team's hull has been sitting on the roof of the shipping yard that delivered it to Hong Kong since it arrived. It is now theirs in lieu of any storage payments that have never once been paid.
Unless they can sell the keel, they may as well turn it it into a big plant bed and be done with it.

post-3736-0-14633700-1475118997_thumb.jpg

KA 1 - Gretel , last I heard she was in a German shipyard who where looking for someone to buy her and finance a restoration

KA 2 - Dame Pattie , converted to a cruising yacht and is somewhere in the Mediterranean .

KA 3 - Gretel 2 , beautifully restored and living in Sydney

KA 4 - Southern Cross , a day charter boat in far North Queensland

KA 5 - Australia , in Sydney owned by the Australian 12 meter trust

KA 6 - Australia II , in Fremantle as an exhibit in the WA maritime museum.

KA 7 - Advance broken up in late 2000s in the USA

KA 8 - South Australia , in Britain with a new sympathetic owner

KA 9 - Australia III renamed Bengal II rotting away in Malaysia

KA 10 - Challenge 12 I think in the USA . Has been restored and was for sale

KA 11 - Kookaburra , in Melbourne where she is regularly sailed

KA 12 - Kookaburra II ,in Italy I think , is sailed in European 12 meter events

KA 14 - Steak n Kidney ( Sydney ) in Sydney with the Aust 12 meter trust

KA 15 - Kookaburra III was in France but was recently listed for sale in Spain .

KA 16 - Australia IV , renamed Bengal III rotting next to her sister Australia III at Miri Marina , Malaysia

Some of the boats look very differ now to their heyday . Australia I has striping that copies Australia II and not the original . Kookaburra I is now white and Kookaburra II is sky blue . Southern Cross is dark blue and Dame Pattie has a cockpit and is a cruising yacht . A3 and A4 are red and renamed . Pictures of these boats are on the net . There was no KA 13 . Challenge 12 was issued with the sail number KA 10 which was out of numerical order . She should have been KA 7 or 8 . Trying to track down Australian IACC boats is harder . We know where the second OneAustralia is - at the bottom of the Pacific .

As many around Chicago know, the Stars & Stripes catamaran from 1988 is sitting on the north side of Crowley's yard in pieces. It was covered with a two-sided enclosure, but it's easy to see/recognize from the open ends, presumably still in salvageable condition. Last campaigned by Steve Fossett?

According to the Morelli & Melvin website, the Stars & Stripes catamaran is for sale for $99,000.

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/brokerage/sail.html

It was raced in the Bayview Mac a few years ago and dropped the mast close to the finish if I remember correctly. It was supposed to sail the Chicago Mac the following week but there was no way to fix it in time. Have not heard of it sailing since

I seem to recall the boat starting the Chi/Mac race in '99 but it's been a long time.

I seem to remember see the boat pass us (quickly) in '99

I don't think any of the Aussie 12s will make it to the worlds . The only three sailing 12s in Australia are owned by charities . The cost of shipping alone is horrendous . Ironically Perth ( where I am ) where 9 of the 15 Aussie 12s where built and hosted the AC has no sailing 12s at all .

KA 1 - Gretel , last I heard she was in a German shipyard who where looking for someone to buy her and finance a restoration

KA 2 - Dame Pattie , converted to a cruising yacht and is somewhere in the Mediterranean .

KA 3 - Gretel 2 , beautifully restored and living in Sydney

KA 4 - Southern Cross , a day charter boat in far North Queensland

KA 5 - Australia , in Sydney owned by the Australian 12 meter trust

KA 6 - Australia II , in Fremantle as an exhibit in the WA maritime museum.

KA 7 - Advance broken up in late 2000s in the USA

KA 8 - South Australia , in Britain with a new sympathetic owner

KA 9 - Australia III renamed Bengal II rotting away in Malaysia

KA 10 - Challenge 12 I think in the USA . Has been restored and was for sale

KA 11 - Kookaburra , in Melbourne where she is regularly sailed

KA 12 - Kookaburra II ,in Italy I think , is sailed in European 12 meter events

KA 14 - Steak n Kidney ( Sydney ) in Sydney with the Aust 12 meter trust

KA 15 - Kookaburra III was in France but was recently listed for sale in Spain .

KA 16 - Australia IV , renamed Bengal III rotting next to her sister Australia III at Miri Marina , Malaysia

Some of the boats look very differ now to their heyday . Australia I has striping that copies Australia II and not the original . Kookaburra I is now white and Kookaburra II is sky blue . Southern Cross is dark blue and Dame Pattie has a cockpit and is a cruising yacht . A3 and A4 are red and renamed . Pictures of these boats are on the net . There was no KA 13 . Challenge 12 was issued with the sail number KA 10 which was out of numerical order . She should have been KA 7 or 8 . Trying to track down Australian IACC boats is harder . We know where the second OneAustralia is - at the bottom of the Pacific .

IACC Boats

Australian Challenge amongst Syd's collection somewhere?

Spirit - doing charters in Sydney

Sydney 95 > Young Australia 2000 mexico I think

One Australia Sunk

One Australia > Young Australia Mexico I Think

Wikipedia has a good listing of all the IACC boats . I have never actually seen one . I imagine them to be a bigger more modern type of 12 meter. If anyone is interested you can walk around Fishing Boat Harbour in Freo and there are markers stating where each syndicate was based. On google maps you can see where kookaburra was( their is advertising painted on the roof a faded 7 from their sponsor tv network , network 7 ) and where Crusader was a faded British airways ad on the roof .

RImike is Challenge 12 in Newport ?

She is. She sits at New England Boatworks along with Enterprise and US-42 "Lego" - one of the America II boats from 1987. Last I saw Challenge 12 she was uncovered (September).

post-8657-0-10054300-1483807885_thumb.jpg

When I was up there in September the skipper of Heritage stated there were 12's still all over the place, including a wood one (Easterner I think) that is just sitting there rotting away. Some guy with money bought her, started some work and then quit, or something to that effect.

US 42 - Newport , US 44 seems to be in Hawaii and US 46 is in New York City . I have read that Heart of America sank off Turkey and that Eagle was a bare hull . The first USA ( E 1 ) was cut up R 2 is still sailing . I read that Defender is being restored . Do any of you guys know where Clipper is ? Does anyone have a clear pic of Stars and Stripes 87s keel ?

Good shot . Even now 30 years later. , it's amazing to see its keel . I feel like it should be a secret . It's suspected that Liberty sank off Japan . The other four Stars and Stripes are all over the World . US 42 ( the first America II , Lego ) was the third placed boat in the 1986 World Championships . KZ 5 was second . Australia III won the regatta . Gosh the where great days ! The build up to the 87 Americas Cup was very exciting ! Well , it was to this ten year old anyway ......

When I was up there in September the skipper of Heritage stated there were 12's still all over the place, including a wood one (Easterner I think) that is just sitting there rotting away. Some guy with money bought her, started some work and then quit, or something to that effect.

I saw a 12 in a restoration shop in Italy when I was there in 03. I think it was Easterner.

You will get a lot of pics of S&S 87 keel off of the St. Martian 12 meter sailing Facebook page. Different views and angles of it. You don't need to be a member of FB to view them.

RImike is Challenge 12 in Newport ?

She is. She sits at New England Boatworks along with Enterprise and US-42 "Lego" - one of the America II boats from 1987. Last I saw Challenge 12 she was uncovered (September).

Walked into Building 2 yesterday at NEB and Challenge 12 had been moved in there. Plus all the peripheral crap and a few sails on the floor. Bottom needs some repairs but looked in ok condition.

From an article historians may enjoy

--

Those developments were focused on making craft light and sleek: swift creatures of cutthroat aerodynamics that would not compromise on material, high-grade woods, or attention to flourishes of architectural detail. Light weight of scantling (the dimensions of the framing of a boat to which the planks or plates are attached to make the hull) and light rigging were carried to an extreme never before attempted. J.P. Morgan and C. Oliver Inselin, both of the New York Yacht Club, had commissioned from Captain Herreshoff, the Americas Cup designer, a vessel with a bronze bottom, the first to ever use such a bottom for plating (this added to the smoothness, even if it did add to the expense), while sails of the highest grade of cotton, considerably decreasing the weight, became the new standard. The engineering brilliance of these design-architects cannot be underestimated: Herreshoff, for example, who attained a then-unheard-of twenty-eight knots in his creations of 1890, also manufactured his own boilers, steam engines and propellers. Starling Burgess, when not revolutionizing hull design or experimentally foregoing ballasts altogether, produced one of the first airplanes to fly across the Atlantic.

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/2017/02/lost-soul-yacht-builder-william-fife-iii-marcia-christoff-kurapovna.html

Indeed it is sad.

sb0hhc.jpg

My guess is the IACC boat behind the cat is SUI-100. The AC32 Cup winner. SUI-91 was sold to the German team and I think I read SUI-64 is tucked away for safe keeping somewhere because it has a special spot in EB's heart.

Looking over google earth at Valencia a couple things I noticed:

1. BMWO and LR"s bases are gone. Replaced with new buildings.

2. Alingh's base looks as it always has. Wonder what its used for.

3. +39 and Shosholoza's bases are gone too.

4. Bases on the opposite side of the marina are still there, for the most part.

5. Seems every where you look you can see pieces of the F1 track. Another abandoned edifice.

6. Never did find the German IACC boat or the 2 Desafio boats on the breakers. Did find the AC display boat adjacent to the Alinghi base though.

7. Yeah its looking at satellite pictures, but I was struck with just how shabby the marina area looks. Sad to see for sure.

What is the deal with Alinghi 5 though? Its been sitting there for how long now? 6 years? Is it being saved for something? Crazy.

WetHog

Shouldn't there be a plastic chair in that parking lot?

;P

WL

I would think my absence has said an awful lot.

I believe I also voiced that sentiment awhile ago.

Larry did what I believed was necessary at the time to stop the hijack of the Cup. Only to turn around and do worse.

We need an Ellison type hero to do it again. Without the hijack.

WL

like this....

A5 In Valencia

post-17796-0-75080400-1488386530_thumb.jpg
Oracle’s winning AC72 is in the Mariners’ Museum in Newport News, Virginia.
Jack Griffin (Ask Jack, Cup Experience) reports:
http://www.cupexperience.com/blog/
I’m on my way today to Newport News to help plan the “Speed and Innovation in the America’s Cup”
exhibit that will open in May. I’ve been asked to be “guest curator” – an honor and a lot of fun,
working with a great team.

Not the only AC 72 that ends up in a museum:
This is Luna Rossa AC 72 in MIlan:

Aero-Naval Pavillion of the National Museum of Science and Technology “Leonardo da Vinci” of Milan.
m581_crop169004_1024x576_14269561965E3A.

i think ETNZ ac72 is under shrink wrap in Auckland.

-36.927025,174.781392 is the co-ordinates.

in google maps, you can see the hulls on the western side of the north edge, on the grass. only in street view though.

somewhere around the edge is some other pieces to do with it.

i think that they're too ashamed to do display the boat anywhere hahaha

Any one knows who is the owner of the 4 boats in the oil storage in Auckland harbour.

-36.839148, 174.756785 at google maps

Jocke.

check out the street veiw, they are ETNZ, with the white ones being shrink wrap. not 100% of the actual boar numbers though.