planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

No matter how awsome some of these ex racers are, the reallity is that they are lemons to own and utterly useless to use for anything else than what they originally was designed for but I admires anyone who does. 

20 minutes ago, TurboDiesel said:

No matter how awsome some of these ex racers are, the reallity is that they are lemons to own and utterly useless to use for anything else than what they originally was designed for but I admires anyone who does. 

I've never been on one, but the 12's look like they could be decent racers for a wealthy mortal where the IACC boats not so much.

WetHog  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Modernrate Buai said:

Koolaburra II visiting Sydney, painted Aus2 wannabe...

Nope, that's the first Kookaburra, KA-11

for what it's worth the two Shosholoza boats are sitting in Cape Town at the MSC yard.

looking through google earth, the one got there 2010, the second 2011.

and various states of containers coming and going and covers changed too

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9253331,18.4717693,3a,75y,321.32h,85.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYHWXHqoICMLcV-9rVrDUBQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DYHWXHqoICMLcV-9rVrDUBQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D222.15904%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Not sure if this is the right place, but this beautiful  painting by Sandro Zingoni should be in the private collection of Francesco de Angelis. It represents Luna Rossa training near isola d'Elba, in Italy, where the author lives.

FB_IMG_1499373248490.jpg

22 minutes ago, Tvick1 said:

The British challenger Sceptre is still sailing and has been converted to a cruiser. Was great fun to sail on for the week when I got the chance as a teenager.

http://www.sceptre1958.co.uk/

I remember a few stories about her. She was designed primarily in a test tank which showed good figures. However when she sailed in the AC she was slaughtered, why the tank simulated smooth water, the water of Rhode Island was choppy and her flattish bow did not work well in such conditions. In fact the Americans were quite angry at the performance of sceptre and they had spent a lot of time and money to face a dog. Many years later she he a rematch with an american 12 meter in smooth water and was fast 

So where are the sextuplets of AC50's hiding?

On 6/9/2017 at 0:28 PM, TurboDiesel said:

dunno about that, there's been several charter companies that have done well enough with old 12's and IACC boats. 

10 hours ago, mako23 said:

I remember a few stories about her. She was designed primarily in a test tank which showed good figures. However when she sailed in the AC she was slaughtered, why the tank simulated smooth water, the water of Rhode Island was choppy and her flattish bow did not work well in such conditions. In fact the Americans were quite angry at the performance of sceptre and they had spent a lot of time and money to face a dog. Many years later she he a rematch with an american 12 meter in smooth water and was fast 

Interesting that Sceptre had a modern style open cockpit that was mandated for 1977 for the 12's.

On 19/01/2017 at 10:49 PM, Jethrow said:

I'm guessing this has been posted already, NZL 14 on Queenstown waterfront

post-26260-0-02357000-1484819338_thumb.jpg

Just came in to post that one. Still sitting/used here.

Its hard to envisage this latest iteration of Cup veterans blasting around the Whitsundays with a squad of Swedish backpackers grinding or cycling like fuck to keep them going,

I can just see the sign: Join Our Ex Americas Cup Yacht for the Hamilton Island - Whitehaven Cruise - Departing every thirty minutes!

1 hour ago, zaTTaz said:

Just came in to post that one. Still sitting/used here.

I've seen it there before too, been there for years but I've never seen it out sailing, Is it ever used?

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Its hard to envisage this latest iteration of Cup veterans blasting around the Whitsundays with a squad of Swedish backpackers grinding or cycling like fuck to keep them going,

I can just see the sign: Join Our Ex Americas Cup Yacht for the Hamilton Island - Whitehaven Cruise - Departing every thirty minutes!

I wonder if they could relatively easily fit a computer to control the boats foils for flight and a generator or battery packs to provide the power, vastly reducing the need for the grinding and making it an experience that they could take your average punter out on? It would seem that it would be a pretty small step to make the ETNZ boat fly its self!

5 hours ago, Tvick1 said:

I've seen it there before too, been there for years but I've never seen it out sailing, Is it ever used?

I wonder if they could relatively easily fit a computer to control the boats foils for flight and a generator or battery packs to provide the power, vastly reducing the need for the grinding and making it an experience that they could take your average punter out on? It would seem that it would be a pretty small step to make the ETNZ boat fly its self!

I can just imagine the Insurance Premium ......thanks you Sir that will be six million please

Wow, Gretel 2 looks stunning.

I remember walking around Cowes last year and seeing 2 Version 5 hulls in shrink wrap. Presumably the Current/ex Team Origin boats....

Even if ENTZ take the cup back to mono hulls its hard to imagine that those boats will be in anyway relevant. 

....and just getting those boats out and rigged would surely be a huge undertaking i.e. all new rigging, structural inspections etc. In their own way each generation of these cup boats are extreme and built on the edge of what's possible re materials engineering.

Pity, as there is always something seductive about an ex race car....and they do find second and third lives in historic and vintage racing...but for boats....and ACC boats....less so.

On 21/07/2017 at 3:06 PM, Tvick1 said:

I haven't been here for long but I'm pretty sure over the summer they use it on the regular for charters.

does anyone know where the other ac72's are now?

i know that one of the ETNZ boats is wrapped and is at a storage facility in NZ, i've seen it on google earth

i also believe that the luna rossa is in some Italian museum

makes you think though, where is NZ's second boat, oracles two and big blue/ what remains of red

1 hour ago, MR PLOW 270 said:

does anyone know where the other ac72's are now?

i know that one of the ETNZ boats is wrapped and is at a storage facility in NZ, i've seen it on google earth

i also believe that the luna rossa is in some Italian museum

makes you think though, where is NZ's second boat, oracles two and big blue/ what remains of red

The winning oracle AC72 is at some maritime museum on the east coast of the USA IIRC.

artemis? Not a clue.

ETNZ's 1st boat got broken up for parts on boat 2, and them got scrapped I think.

I was watching Bachelor in Paradise on ABC last night (not by choice - or so I tell myself) and I saw what looked like, possibly, the old Young Australia being used as a kind of party barge in Puerto Vallarta.  Did anybody else see that?  Looks like they made the deck one level (no cockpit anymore) and removed pretty much all of the hardware - replacing it with a slide and other activities...

On 07/09/2017 at 2:28 AM, Carbon said:

I was watching Bachelor in Paradise on ABC last night (not by choice - or so I tell myself) and I saw what looked like, possibly, the old Young Australia being used as a kind of party barge in Puerto Vallarta.  Did anybody else see that?  Looks like they made the deck one level (no cockpit anymore) and removed pretty much all of the hardware - replacing it with a slide and other activities...

If that's true, then that is pretty fucking messed up.

These boats were once competing at the pinnacle of the sport. They deserve better than this.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, orca99 said:

I saw two AC 12 m yachts, masts etc sitting ashore in Miri, Borneo, Malaysia......I believe they are from Japan

Australia III & Australia IV from the 87 defence off Fremantle...ex Bond syndicate boats last ones designed by Ben Lexcen

Hello folks,

I'm SO pleased to have found this thread, as I've been trying to piece together the history of Emirates Team New Zealand's old boats for some time.

Thanks to those who pointed to the sad demise of the defeated AC72 - now sitting forlornly at Storage King Onehunga in Auckland!  A shame for such a magnificent machine.

I've been examining Google Maps of the Wynyard tank farm in Auckland, where four IACC yachts are sitting - in the possession of the Explore Group which runs IACC "experiences" on Auckland harbour.  Quite obviously, NZL 84 and NZL 92 are there - unwrapped, and still in their livery from the Louis Vuitton Trophy in Dubai 2010.  But I've also now been able to confirm that one of the other two (shrink-wrapped) boats is NZL 38 (Black Magic II).

I think someone may have already mentioned in this thread that NZL 38 is there - along with NZL 60, it seems - but I found some interesting proof (pic attached)... you can just see the silver fern underneath the shrink wrap.  This obviously wasn't NZL 38's original livery - apparently, there was an attempt to get her sailing in Valencia post-2007, but it never worked.

So, my remaining questions are these:

• If NZL 60 is there, then where is her sister NZL 57?  I believe she was sold to K-Challenge along with NZL 38, but I can find no trace of her now.
  • Where is the winning AC50 from Bermuda?  
  • Does anyone know where KZ7 is these days?  I saw her, in beautiful condition, in Valencia 10 years ago, but again nothing since.

IMG_80ECC5ED75F3-1.jpeg

On 26/07/2016 at 5:08 PM, WetHog said:

Indeed it is sad.

sb0hhc.jpg

My guess is the IACC boat behind the cat is SUI-100. The AC32 Cup winner. SUI-91 was sold to the German team and I think I read SUI-64 is tucked away for safe keeping somewhere because it has a special spot in EB's heart.

Looking over google earth at Valencia a couple things I noticed:

1. BMWO and LR"s bases are gone. Replaced with new buildings.

2. Alingh's base looks as it always has. Wonder what its used for.

3. +39 and Shosholoza's bases are gone too.

4. Bases on the opposite side of the marina are still there, for the most part.

5. Seems every where you look you can see pieces of the F1 track. Another abandoned edifice.

6. Never did find the German IACC boat or the 2 Desafio boats on the breakers. Did find the AC display boat adjacent to the Alinghi base though.

7. Yeah its looking at satellite pictures, but I was struck with just how shabby the marina area looks. Sad to see for sure.

What is the deal with Alinghi 5 though? Its been sitting there for how long now? 6 years? Is it being saved for something? Crazy.

WetHog :ph34r:

WetHog

Hi WetHog... any chance you could direct me to the Google Map coordinates for Alinghi 5/SUI 100?

I'm scouring the Valencia port but can't spot them!!

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

Hi WetHog... any chance you could direct me to the Google Map coordinates for Alinghi 5/SUI 100?

I'm scouring the Valencia port but can't spot them!!

Thanks in advance.

Looks like they moved them out of the parking lot and into the sand:

Alnghi A5 in VLC.png

6 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

Hello folks,

I'm SO pleased to have found this thread, as I've been trying to piece together the history of Emirates Team New Zealand's old boats for some time.

Thanks to those who pointed to the sad demise of the defeated AC72 - now sitting forlornly at Storage King Onehunga in Auckland!  A shame for such a magnificent machine.

I've been examining Google Maps of the Wynyard tank farm in Auckland, where four IACC yachts are sitting - in the possession of the Explore Group which runs IACC "experiences" on Auckland harbour.  Quite obviously, NZL 84 and NZL 92 are there - unwrapped, and still in their livery from the Louis Vuitton Trophy in Dubai 2010.  But I've also now been able to confirm that one of the other two (shrink-wrapped) boats is NZL 38 (Black Magic II).

I think someone may have already mentioned in this thread that NZL 38 is there - along with NZL 60, it seems - but I found some interesting proof (pic attached)... you can just see the silver fern underneath the shrink wrap.  This obviously wasn't NZL 38's original livery - apparently, there was an attempt to get her sailing in Valencia post-2007, but it never worked.

So, my remaining questions are these:

• If NZL 60 is there, then where is her sister NZL 57?  I believe she was sold to K-Challenge along with NZL 38, but I can find no trace of her now.
  • Where is the winning AC50 from Bermuda?  
  • Does anyone know where KZ7 is these days?  I saw her, in beautiful condition, in Valencia 10 years ago, but again nothing since.

IMG_80ECC5ED75F3-1.jpeg

Hey there, Wikipedia is your friend!

I'm not saying it is 100% accurate, but should give you a good starting point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IACC_yachts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_Magic#After_the_America.27s_Cup

That looks like some 80s transatlantic cat to me.

Anyone know what happened to Dickos 95 Tag Heuer? Always liked that boat.

51 minutes ago, MR PLOW 270 said:

well, i guess this is where BAR's boats are going

i wonder whether they will just commit and mulch all of them...

Fucking stupid thing to do!

7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Fucking stupid thing to do!

not like they could do too much else with the test and race boats, except for maybe put them in a museum

51 minutes ago, MR PLOW 270 said:

not like they could do too much else with the test and race boats, except for maybe put them in a museum

Why not sell them to someone with conventional dagger boards?

The 50 would be impossible because of the hydraulics, but surely it has a place in UK maritime history?

It just pisses me off when you see the shitty fate of some of the most interesting boats in history.

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

It just pisses me off when you see the shitty fate of some of the most interesting boats in history.

Have you been drinking? BARs test boats are hardly 'some of the most interesting boats in history'. 

7 hours ago, FinnFish said:

Have you been drinking? BARs test boats are hardly 'some of the most interesting boats in history'. 

I was referring to the AC50 class and AC boats in general.

They are not just interesting from a technology perspective but also their place in history. 

And on a side note, no I've not been drinking. 

you should consider drinking......for most people it mellows them.    The above posts militate to an AC boat choice that has future use.     Most of the 12's  have been repurposed and are being used for corporate or otherwise charters.    Rabbit out of the hat races in Newport.   Great fun.    Hell look what Turner did with American Eagle.    Sadly  cats  just don't fit the utility bin going forward and are best chopped up.

59 minutes ago, GC&GC said:

you should consider drinking......for most people it mellows them.    The above posts militate to an AC boat choice that has future use.     Most of the 12's  have been repurposed and are being used for corporate or otherwise charters.    Rabbit out of the hat races in Newport.   Great fun.    Hell look what Turner did with American Eagle.    Sadly  cats  just don't fit the utility bin going forward and are best chopped up.

Ok, so I am going to call bullshit on this.

Dennis' 1998 cats had/have a life after the match and so could the 45s if they were converted back to non-foilers.

With regards to the 50, it clearly cannot be re-purposed in this way but surely a more fitting end to such a technological marvel is a maritime museum rather than a chipper?

^ In the case of the LRBAR test boats, and likely most of the others, their components probably got cannabilized for successive versions. As example I think both TF and ETNZ even used their T boats’ beams on their AC50s.

And so LRBAR’s may also be too far gone to resurrect and it’s a decent enough recycling effort - perhaps it’s part of the sustainability mission they agreed to with 11th Hour Racing.

http://www.sail-world.com/news/199814/Land-Rover-BAR-partner-with-ELG-Carbon-Fibre

I hope that at minimum the AC45’s that were used in the RBYAC races have more race-life left, it’s a good boat but there are other foiling multi classes now so who knows.

For now, the AC50s are on most points of sail and conditions still the fastest course racers ever - even if the very top max official speed in Bermuda set by AR against SBTJ was 0.2 knots below what ETNZ recorded in SF, 47.5 vs 47.7. In that same Bermuda race (was it?) SBTJ hit 47.3. Fast!!!

4 hours ago, GC&GC said:

Geeze you are a dinosaur,  dave.

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, jhc said:

NZ 81 and NZ 82 ? I tourist-helmed 82 against 81 in Cabo but it was several years back and I thought the operation had moved both boats to somewhere else after that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

NZ 81 and NZ 82 ? I tourist-helmed 82 against 81 in Cabo but it was several years back and I thought the operation had moved both boats to somewhere else after that?

Lucky bastard, would have been an awesome experience I'm sure.

8 hours ago, jaysper said:

Lucky bastard, would have been an awesome experience I'm sure.

Yes, was great fun. Good sailing venue too, the ESS season finale is happening there this weekend.

https://www.extremesailingseries.com/news/view/less-than-24-hours-to-go

NZL 81 and NZL 82 may still be there if this page is up to date

https://www.bajasurvacationrentals.com/americas-cup-sailing-cabo-san-lucas/#

StFYC WYL: John Rousmaniere's presentation is a must-watch for American (and British) yachting history buffs

2017-11-30 | TOM EHMAN

75ec71_4b9d80ac47ae417e89593023b0d59f94~

SAN FRANCISCO – John Rousmaniere (New York, NYYC, CCA), esteemed yachting historian, author and sailor, longtime friend, was the guest speaker at yesterday's St Francis Yacht Club Wednesday Yachting Luncheon. John's presentation on the history of American yachting was fascinating, especially for those interested in the development of our sport since 1840.

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2017/11/30/StFYC-WYL-John-Rousmanieres-presentation-is-a-must-watch-for-American-and-British-yachting-history-buffs

2 hours ago, hoom said:

By god what did they do to ENZA :huh:

But no I meant the skinny, grey, destroyer bowed, Farr designed 1995 IACC

Americas-Cup-1995.jpg

According to Wiki, NZL-39 was sold to Supersail Deutschland in Keil, Germany for Corporate Charters (http://www.supersail.de/en/)

EDIT: Some photos here http://www.supersail.de/en/corporate-events/segeln-match-race/

3 hours ago, hoom said:

By god what did they do to ENZA :huh:

But no I meant the skinny, grey, destroyer bowed, Farr designed 1995 IACC

That THING used to be ENZA?

As the old saying goes, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Yep, ENZA started as the '80s transatlantic cat Formule TAG/Tag Heuer (hence understandable PYC thought I meant that).

I'm planning on going to Valencia in a few months and I would really like to snap some pics of A5 and what seems to be SUI-100 or her sistership. Does anyone know how close we can get to these monsters, and how hard it is to get in that car park? 

Google Earth shows a gate across the road at significant distance but its open in Streetview dated 5/2017, Streetview goes right past the wire fence & even up into the dinghy/cat park, doesn't appear to be a fence preventing getting right up to the boat.

But if the gate is closed you'll probably need someone with access to the marina.

Found the other Mascalzone boat on the hard in Cagliari.  

33olbep.jpg

24n0ied.jpg

Its not that far from where Luna Rossa has their base, or at least the LR base that shows up on google earth.

WetHog  :ph34r:

On 20/12/2017 at 2:56 AM, hoom said:

Google Earth shows a gate across the road at significant distance but its open in Streetview dated 5/2017, Streetview goes right past the wire fence & even up into the dinghy/cat park, doesn't appear to be a fence preventing getting right up to the boat.

But if the gate is closed you'll probably need someone with access to the marina.

Thanks!

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, WetHog said:

Possible resting place for GBR 70 and GBR 78?

xcn0pe.jpg

Medina Yard, Cowes according to this website:

http://iacc120cup.altervista.org/AmericasCupBoats.html

And the above picture is what I found on google earth.  Looks like 2 IACC type boats but I can't gauge their length to well.  

Looks about right.

IACC Boats Cowes.jpg

On 23/12/2017 at 9:44 AM, Raptorsailor said:

Thanks!

No worries :)

I hope you get in & come back with a bunch of cool pics :wub:

Hate on Ernesto-vision as I did & out-gunned by DoGzilla as it was, A5 is still a bloody amazing beast by any other standard.

Jayhawk is in Wichita Kansas in the Downtown area by the river.  

Jayhawk (00).jpg

This is not my photo, but I can post a bunch of photos if people want to see it.  

1 hour ago, distorted humor said:

Jayhawk is in Wichita Kansas in the Downtown area by the river.  

Jayhawk (00).jpg

This is not my photo, but I can post a bunch of photos if people want to see it.  

Sure, post away.

On 12/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

Looks about right.

IACC Boats Cowes.jpg

They sure looked like IACC boats.  We got anyone in the Cowes area who can snap some pictures of these boats?  Always thought the GBR Challenge boats looked good.  To bad they didn't go as fast as they looked.  ;)

2s6tudj.jpg

15 hours ago, WetHog said:

They sure looked like IACC boats.  We got anyone in the Cowes area who can snap some pictures of these boats?  Always thought the GBR Challenge boats looked good.  To bad they didn't go as fast as they looked.  ;)

2s6tudj.jpg

Probably because it looks like Dean Barkers on the helm.

18 minutes ago, Justaquickone said:

Probably because it looks like Dean Barkers on the helm.

yeah mate, dean barker's sooooooo bad hey

not like he's been in 3 AC matches or anything

17 hours ago, teamvmg said:

That's Double Bullet

double-bullet-cat-jpg.754

Wow! That's the first big cat I ever saw, I was probably about 10 and she was moored in Ensenada (circa. 1983). My dad surely has pictures...