• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

233 posts in this topic

I am somewhat nearby for the summer Newport is on the list of excursions .

If I can find anything out I will post .

No matter how awsome some of these ex racers are, the reallity is that they are lemons to own and utterly useless to use for anything else than what they originally was designed for but I admires anyone who does. 

20 minutes ago, TurboDiesel said:

No matter how awsome some of these ex racers are, the reallity is that they are lemons to own and utterly useless to use for anything else than what they originally was designed for but I admires anyone who does. 

I've never been on one, but the 12's look like they could be decent racers for a wealthy mortal where the IACC boats not so much.

WetHog  :ph34r:

DoGzilla in front of Oracle buildings - October 2014

IMG_0850.JPG

America3 at the Herreshoff Marine Museum Rhode Island, July 2014

IMG_0926.JPG

America's Cup boat comparisons from the Herreshoff Marine Museum

Boat Comparison.png

1 hour ago, Modernrate Buai said:

Koolaburra II visiting Sydney, painted Aus2 wannabe...

Nope, that's the first Kookaburra, KA-11

for what it's worth the two Shosholoza boats are sitting in Cape Town at the MSC yard.

looking through google earth, the one got there 2010, the second 2011.

and various states of containers coming and going and covers changed too

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9253331,18.4717693,3a,75y,321.32h,85.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYHWXHqoICMLcV-9rVrDUBQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DYHWXHqoICMLcV-9rVrDUBQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D222.15904%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Not sure if this is the right place, but this beautiful  painting by Sandro Zingoni should be in the private collection of Francesco de Angelis. It represents Luna Rossa training near isola d'Elba, in Italy, where the author lives.

FB_IMG_1499373248490.jpg

I saw two AC 12 m yachts, masts etc sitting ashore in Miri, Borneo, Malaysia......I believe they are from Japan

The British challenger Sceptre is still sailing and has been converted to a cruiser. Was great fun to sail on for the week when I got the chance as a teenager.

http://www.sceptre1958.co.uk/

22 minutes ago, Tvick1 said:

The British challenger Sceptre is still sailing and has been converted to a cruiser. Was great fun to sail on for the week when I got the chance as a teenager.

http://www.sceptre1958.co.uk/

I remember a few stories about her. She was designed primarily in a test tank which showed good figures. However when she sailed in the AC she was slaughtered, why the tank simulated smooth water, the water of Rhode Island was choppy and her flattish bow did not work well in such conditions. In fact the Americans were quite angry at the performance of sceptre and they had spent a lot of time and money to face a dog. Many years later she he a rematch with an american 12 meter in smooth water and was fast 

So where are the sextuplets of AC50's hiding?

On 6/9/2017 at 0:28 PM, TurboDiesel said:

dunno about that, there's been several charter companies that have done well enough with old 12's and IACC boats. 

10 hours ago, mako23 said:

I remember a few stories about her. She was designed primarily in a test tank which showed good figures. However when she sailed in the AC she was slaughtered, why the tank simulated smooth water, the water of Rhode Island was choppy and her flattish bow did not work well in such conditions. In fact the Americans were quite angry at the performance of sceptre and they had spent a lot of time and money to face a dog. Many years later she he a rematch with an american 12 meter in smooth water and was fast 

Interesting that Sceptre had a modern style open cockpit that was mandated for 1977 for the 12's.

On 19/01/2017 at 10:49 PM, Jethrow said:

I'm guessing this has been posted already, NZL 14 on Queenstown waterfront

post-26260-0-02357000-1484819338_thumb.jpg

Just came in to post that one. Still sitting/used here.

Its hard to envisage this latest iteration of Cup veterans blasting around the Whitsundays with a squad of Swedish backpackers grinding or cycling like fuck to keep them going,

I can just see the sign: Join Our Ex Americas Cup Yacht for the Hamilton Island - Whitehaven Cruise - Departing every thirty minutes!

I dont think you will see any old AC boats in the Whitsundays, old Whitbread and Volvo boats definitely.

1 hour ago, zaTTaz said:

Just came in to post that one. Still sitting/used here.

I've seen it there before too, been there for years but I've never seen it out sailing, Is it ever used?

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Its hard to envisage this latest iteration of Cup veterans blasting around the Whitsundays with a squad of Swedish backpackers grinding or cycling like fuck to keep them going,

I can just see the sign: Join Our Ex Americas Cup Yacht for the Hamilton Island - Whitehaven Cruise - Departing every thirty minutes!

I wonder if they could relatively easily fit a computer to control the boats foils for flight and a generator or battery packs to provide the power, vastly reducing the need for the grinding and making it an experience that they could take your average punter out on? It would seem that it would be a pretty small step to make the ETNZ boat fly its self!

5 hours ago, Tvick1 said:

I've seen it there before too, been there for years but I've never seen it out sailing, Is it ever used?

I wonder if they could relatively easily fit a computer to control the boats foils for flight and a generator or battery packs to provide the power, vastly reducing the need for the grinding and making it an experience that they could take your average punter out on? It would seem that it would be a pretty small step to make the ETNZ boat fly its self!

I can just imagine the Insurance Premium ......thanks you Sir that will be six million please

Wow, Gretel 2 looks stunning.

I remember walking around Cowes last year and seeing 2 Version 5 hulls in shrink wrap. Presumably the Current/ex Team Origin boats....

Even if ENTZ take the cup back to mono hulls its hard to imagine that those boats will be in anyway relevant. 

....and just getting those boats out and rigged would surely be a huge undertaking i.e. all new rigging, structural inspections etc. In their own way each generation of these cup boats are extreme and built on the edge of what's possible re materials engineering.

Pity, as there is always something seductive about an ex race car....and they do find second and third lives in historic and vintage racing...but for boats....and ACC boats....less so.

On 21/07/2017 at 3:06 PM, Tvick1 said:

I haven't been here for long but I'm pretty sure over the summer they use it on the regular for charters.

does anyone know where the other ac72's are now?

i know that one of the ETNZ boats is wrapped and is at a storage facility in NZ, i've seen it on google earth

i also believe that the luna rossa is in some Italian museum

makes you think though, where is NZ's second boat, oracles two and big blue/ what remains of red

1 hour ago, MR PLOW 270 said:

does anyone know where the other ac72's are now?

i know that one of the ETNZ boats is wrapped and is at a storage facility in NZ, i've seen it on google earth

i also believe that the luna rossa is in some Italian museum

makes you think though, where is NZ's second boat, oracles two and big blue/ what remains of red

The winning oracle AC72 is at some maritime museum on the east coast of the USA IIRC.

artemis? Not a clue.

ETNZ's 1st boat got broken up for parts on boat 2, and them got scrapped I think.

I was watching Bachelor in Paradise on ABC last night (not by choice - or so I tell myself) and I saw what looked like, possibly, the old Young Australia being used as a kind of party barge in Puerto Vallarta.  Did anybody else see that?  Looks like they made the deck one level (no cockpit anymore) and removed pretty much all of the hardware - replacing it with a slide and other activities...

On 07/09/2017 at 2:28 AM, Carbon said:

I was watching Bachelor in Paradise on ABC last night (not by choice - or so I tell myself) and I saw what looked like, possibly, the old Young Australia being used as a kind of party barge in Puerto Vallarta.  Did anybody else see that?  Looks like they made the deck one level (no cockpit anymore) and removed pretty much all of the hardware - replacing it with a slide and other activities...

If that's true, then that is pretty fucking messed up.

These boats were once competing at the pinnacle of the sport. They deserve better than this.