planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

Recommended Posts

Looks like a monster. Shame to see it slowly die

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, Swanno said:

Looks like a monster. Shame to see it slowly die

Seriously turned my head when it was launched but you've got to think its pretty poor of  Ernesto to leave his mess around for someone else to clean up .

Sadly he's not the only one to use Valencia as a dumping ground of shattered dreams .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two tired looking boats just showed up at MHYC.

IMG_20180410_153405.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame that Australia's two younger siblings aren't get getting the same love...be a waste for them to just rot away in Malaysia!!! Last of the Lexcen 12's!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 6:49 AM, inebriated said:

where's it going @Colomba?

 

Probably no where.  What could it be used for?  Its the AC version of the Spruce Goose.  

More of interest to me is which IACC boat of Alinghi's is behind it.  Is that SUI-91 or SUI-100?  My guess is SUI-91 because I'd think EB would hold his Cup winning boat SUI-100 in higher regard, like he does SUI-64, than to let it rot in a parking lot in Valencia.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Racing Fast said:

Team Origin bought SUI100

Origin bought SUI-75 and UITG bought SUI-91.  That’s how I remember it.  SUI-75 was in Origin colors for a while as well.  I’ll have to look it up.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, WetHog said:

Probably no where.  What could it be used for?  Its the AC version of the Spruce Goose.  

More of interest to me is which IACC boat of Alinghi's is behind it.  Is that SUI-91 or SUI-100?  My guess is SUI-91 because I'd think EB would hold his Cup winning boat SUI-100 in higher regard, like he does SUI-64, than to let it rot in a parking lot in Valencia.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

I think it must be 91, it looks like it has the raked bow sections, 100 had more of a rounded meter bow section. Yes, Origin bought the older SUI 75, Marian and I had several discussions about back when it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, WetHog said:

Probably no where.  What could it be used for?  Its the AC version of the Spruce Goose.  

More of interest to me is which IACC boat of Alinghi's is behind it.  Is that SUI-91 or SUI-100?  My guess is SUI-91 because I'd think EB would hold his Cup winning boat SUI-100 in higher regard, like he does SUI-64, than to let it rot in a parking lot in Valencia.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

this, it's a boat utterly lacking a purpose. 10 bucks say she sits awhile longer before being chainsawed up and being carted away in dumpsters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, dorydude said:

Two tired looking boats just showed up at MHYC.

IMG_20180410_153405.jpg

You beat me to it.

Not sure where they are permanently moored.  Last saw the two of them in Newcastle 5 years or so ago. Any idea why they are in Sydney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DtM said:

You beat me to it.

Not sure where they are permanently moored.  Last saw the two of them in Newcastle 5 years or so ago. Any idea why they are in Sydney.

Were brought to Sydney a few years ago by some entrepreneur who had wrapped them up in a trust structure.  They get out on the harbour a reasonable amount doing charter stuff IIRC.  Usually moored up around Birchgrove / Drummoyne area I believe.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/australiantwelves/about/?ref=page_internal

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.4.2018 at 2:56 PM, WetHog said:

Probably no where.  What could it be used for?  Its the AC version of the Spruce Goose.  

More of interest to me is which IACC boat of Alinghi's is behind it.  Is that SUI-91 or SUI-100?  My guess is SUI-91 because I'd think EB would hold his Cup winning boat SUI-100 in higher regard, like he does SUI-64, than to let it rot in a parking lot in Valencia.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

SUI, latter GER 91 seems to lie in Langenargen, Lake of Constance:

 

 

7BE9D891-8A0A-4A3B-97DF-8DD9E5734E4B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, CondorP4 said:

SUI, latter GER 91 seems to lie in Langenargen, Lake of Constance:

 

 

7BE9D891-8A0A-4A3B-97DF-8DD9E5734E4B.jpeg

Yeah thats SUI-91.  GER-89 had that fugly knuckle bow.  Unless its GER-101.  ;)

Do you have any more background on her?  I wonder how long she's been sitting there.  Also, a pic of inside the cockpit would be interesting.  Regardless, thanks for the pic.

I guess it is SUI-100 rotting in that Valencia parking lot.  To bad.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WetHog said:

Yeah thats SUI-91.  GER-89 had that fugly knuckle bow.  Unless its GER-101.  ;)

Do you have any more background on her?  I wonder how long she's been sitting there.  Also, a pic of inside the cockpit would be interesting.  Regardless, thanks for the pic.

I guess it is SUI-100 rotting in that Valencia parking lot.  To bad.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Great find. I have looked up Langenargen in GM and found it:

https://www.google.de/maps/@47.6144471,9.5338507,64m/data=!3m1!1e3 

is were SUI-91 is lying. 

 

And here are some more remains of United Internet Team Germany (2 Ribs and a container).

https://www.google.de/maps/@47.599802,9.5529188,46m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25.4.2018 at 9:22 PM, WetHog said:

Yeah thats SUI-91.  GER-89 had that fugly knuckle bow.  Unless its GER-101.  ;)

Do you have any more background on her?  I wonder how long she's been sitting there.  Also, a pic of inside the cockpit would be interesting.  Regardless, thanks for the pic.

I guess it is SUI-100 rotting in that Valencia parking lot.  To bad.

WetHog  :ph34r:

I donˋt have a pic of the inside, but from what I could see today (out of the window of a passing train):

The inside is black, stripped of most of the hardware, but two spares, looking like spinnacker poles, lie on the bow.

There are some older, non-marked container near the hull of the boat, but there isnˋt anything looking like a mast around. 

How long the hull is there on the premisses of this plant nursery, I donˋt know, but it looks like itˋs been sitting there already for a few years. Maybe ir has something to do with the fact, that Eberhard Magg, the UITG technical director is a native of Langenargen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CondorP4 said:

I donˋt have a pic of the inside, but from what I could see today (out of the window of a passing train):

The inside is black, stripped of most of the hardware, but two spares, looking like spinnacker poles, lie on the bow.

There are some older, non-marked container near the hull of the boat, but there isnˋt anything looking like a mast around. 

How long the hull is there on the premisses of this plant nursery, I donˋt know, but it looks like itˋs been sitting there already for a few years. Maybe ir has something to do with the fact, that Eberhard Magg, the UITG technical director is a native of Langenargen.

That’ll be exactly why they are there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most of these war horses end up like space program hardware, used and discarded. it's a little ironic that something so painstakingly thought out and constructed is simply relegated to garbage status. wasn't it NZL 20?? that was nicknamed 'the little red sled'? where's that boat at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NZL20 is one of them thats actually been well looked after,  was purchased by an $$$ who kept it in good nick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2018 at 7:21 PM, WetHog said:

They sure looked like IACC boats.  We got anyone in the Cowes area who can snap some pictures of these boats?  Always thought the GBR Challenge boats looked good.  To bad they didn't go as fast as they looked.  ;)

2s6tudj.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

The 2 GBR challenge boats are still in Cowes all wrapped up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but who is "PH"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is Stars & Stripes '87 (US-55) after Hurricane Irma hit St. Maarten in late 2017.  No word on the current status of her salvage.  Since she was an aluminum boat, she should be salvageable, but the question is do they have the funds to salvage and repair all 3 of their boats sunk in the storm.  The 12-Metre Challenge website still opens to the Hurricane Irma update.

stars-and-sunk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

I'm a bit lost with that plan. What if anything happens to Cowes Corinthian?

Nothing, Cowes Corinthian is not really close or related to that site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I'm a bit lost with that plan. What if anything happens to Cowes Corinthian?

3 hours ago, mad said:

Nothing, Cowes Corinthian is not really close or related to that site. 

Yup. It's downstream of the floating bridge, round the corner (& next to Lallows)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cowes/@50.7600552,-1.2957215,178m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487463549783d71f:0x484b951e4044e60f!8m2!3d50.762785!4d-1.300533

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im reasonable sure I saw a shrink-wrapped NZL 38 (at least thats what I think I saw painted on the cradle arm as I drove by) heading toward YDL last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yachting Develpoments Ltd - boatbuilders in west Auckland who did the major refit on Steninlager2 and a bunch of others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 4:02 AM, 2853rob said:

The 2 GBR challenge boats are still in Cowes all wrapped up

Here?

xcn0pe.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NZL82, NZL92, USA98 and NZL38 all at YDL in West Auckland. Looks like they are cleaning out the tank farm for bases already. 

38 very well protected, 82/92 in poor condition suggest they probably won’t sail again, stripped down off all Winches etc. 98 has been uncovered but still has Winches etc mounted on deck

E45C4052-85BF-4FD0-B76F-FDFF08C9A25F.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, monosailor said:

NZL82, NZL92, USA98 and NZL38 all at YDL in West Auckland. Looks like they are cleaning out the tank farm for bases already. 

38 very well protected, 82/92 in poor condition suggest they probably won’t sail again, stripped down off all Winches etc. 98 has been uncovered but still has Winches etc mounted on deck

E45C4052-85BF-4FD0-B76F-FDFF08C9A25F.jpeg

 

 

Hey monosailor, thanks for the pic!  Obviously, it's not easy or cheap to find an 'afterlife' for these boats, but it's still sad to see them like that.

One thing... I'm not convinced that the black uncovered hull is USA98.  Others in this thread, I think, have said that USA98 and he sister USA87 were left in Dubai after the Louis Vuitton Trophy in 2010.

Also, I spoke to the Explore Group a while ago - who own, or at least possess all these boats - and they said that black hull was actually NZL60.  Certainly seems to be 60, judging by the beam of the hull and the shape of the bow.

In which case, that's even sadder - given it was the first non-American boat to successfully defend the Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

they said that black hull was actually NZL60.  Certainly seems to be 60, judging by the beam of the hull and the shape of the bow.

In which case, that's even sadder - given it was the first non-American boat to successfully defend the Cup.

I was thinking it looks like NZL60 & it definitely needs to be put on proper display somewhere.

After Aus II its probably the most important AC yacht in the history.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hoom said:

I was thinking it looks like NZL60 & it definitely needs to be put on proper display somewhere.

After Aus II its probably the most important AC yacht in the history.

I believe the Explore Group wanted to get NZL60 up and running for their Harbour Experiences... I remember seeing it in a Halsey Street shed back in 2010 being repainted etc.  Clearly didn't get far.  

And yes, it's right up there with Australia II.  I just saw her on a recent trip to Perth... they've done an almost-better job with her than the NZ Maritime Museum did with NZL32.

 

Desktop.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DohaNZ said:

I believe the Explore Group wanted to get NZL60 up and running for their Harbour Experiences... I remember seeing it in a Halsey Street shed back in 2010 being repainted etc.  Clearly didn't get far.  

And yes, it's right up there with Australia II.  I just saw her on a recent trip to Perth... they've done an almost-better job with her than the NZ Maritime Museum did with NZL32.

 

Desktop.jpg

i think they DID a better job than NZL-32 but i'm from perth hahaha

as for NZL 60, how could that be more important than 32?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, inebriated said:

i think they DID a better job than NZL-32 but i'm from perth hahaha

as for NZL 60, how could that be more important than 32?

Oh of course, NZL32 will always be THE BOAT...... the trailblazer....... but I think 60 is important too.  

Before her, no non-American boat had defended the Cup successfully, and she was a beautiful boat... not to mention a rocketship for her day.

Would like to have seen both 32 and 60 with a home at the Maritime Museum.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hoom said:

I was thinking it looks like NZL60 & it definitely needs to be put on proper display somewhere.

After Aus II its probably the most important AC yacht in the history.

Sure, maybe after Aus II. However, I’d say America was the most important AC yacht in history. Period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Sure, maybe after Aus II. However, I’d say America was the most important AC yacht in history. Period. 

Well yeah I did say after Aus II.

  1. America for starting it
  2. Aus II for winning it off the US
  3. NZL60 for first successful non-US defence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we could base it in which AC boat was the most successful .

Lets list the multiple cup winners .

1/Intrepid 1967 , 1970

2/  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, maxmini said:

Well we could base it in which AC boat was the most successful .

Lets list the multiple cup winners .

1/Intrepid 1967 , 1970

2/  ? 

Columbia 1899 and 1901?

Courageous 1974 and 1977?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we have  three to choose from , now how do we break those down :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intrepid could get a vote for being the father of all the modern 12's with its separate aft rudder/fin keel. It almost beat Courageous to be the defender in '74, going down to the last race day to choose the defender. Courageous was also a contender until '83, 4-Cup cycles, along with winning two.

But, without America we would have nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2018 at 3:58 PM, WetHog said:

Here?

Yes they havent moved in years

On 02/05/2018 at 3:58 PM, WetHog said:

xcn0pe.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Intrepid could get a vote for being the father of all the modern 12's with its separate aft rudder/fin keel. It almost beat Courageous to be the defender in '74, going down to the last race day to choose the defender. Courageous was also a contender until '83, 4-Cup cycles, along with winning two.

But, without America we would have nothing.

Intrepid is my personal favorite after standing on the finger pier in Newport next to her during her second defense . Looking down into her inner workings started my interest in the mechanical workings of real race boats and led to my grinding “ career “ :) I had by sheer coincidence worn a basketball tank top  jersey that day and it had a USA logo on it and the security guard opened the little gate securing the pier assuming I must have had something to do with the boat . I just kept walking and then it was just me and the boat something I will always remember . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maxmini said:

Intrepid is my personal favorite after standing on the finger pier in Newport next to her during her second defense . Looking down into her inner workings started my interest in the mechanical workings of real race boats and led to my grinding “ career “ :) I had by sheer coincidence worn a basketball tank top  jersey that day and it had a USA logo on it and the security guard opened the little gate securing the pier assuming I must have had something to do with the boat . I just kept walking and then it was just me and the boat something I will always remember . 

I always like the low boom on Intrepid and the pics of Ficker driving with his foot on it, with the anti-skid tape placed there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Courageous was also a contender until '83, 4-Cup cycles, along with winning two.

It showed up as a challenger in Fremantle too, although calling it a "contender" would be charitable.

So in terms of cup cycles raced as a defender or challenger candidate, with 5 Courageous is easily the longest-serving hull, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

I always like the low boom on Intrepid and the pics of Ficker driving with his foot on it, with the anti-skid tape placed there.

You are correct , that boom was a real deck sweeper . They had it held up on a support while at the dock just so they could work around it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

It showed up as a challenger in Fremantle too, although calling it a "contender" would be charitable.

So in terms of cup cycles raced as a defender or challenger candidate, with 5 Courageous is easily the longest-serving hull, right?

Unless you count 19 years for America from its win until the first defense, where even placing 4th it beat the challenger. Number of defense seasons, easily Courageous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2018 at 8:43 PM, monosailor said:

NZL82, NZL92, USA98 and NZL38 all at YDL in West Auckland. Looks like they are cleaning out the tank farm for bases already. 

38 very well protected, 82/92 in poor condition suggest they probably won’t sail again, stripped down off all Winches etc. 98 has been uncovered but still has Winches etc mounted on deck

E45C4052-85BF-4FD0-B76F-FDFF08C9A25F.jpeg

Thanks for the pic.  Can you get some pictures of the cockpits?

And yeah that can't be USA 98.  Hull shape is wrong and last I heard of that boat USA 98 and USA 87 were for sale as a package along with containers of gear.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this picture of NZL-60 while looking up something else.

jfj779.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WetHog said:

Found this picture of NZL-60 while looking up something else.

jfj779.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

It’s funny... I really didn’t like the aesthetics of NZL60 (and 57) when they were launched.

They didn’t have the white trim of NZL32 and 38... nor the high gloss finish of that 1995 generation... and the fern livery was a dull grey rather than bright white.

But like anything, it can grow on you... and a fast boat is always a pleasing one. Now I look at that pic, Wethog, and see two awesome black battleships!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

It’s funny... I really didn’t like the aesthetics of NZL60 (and 57) when they were launched.

They didn’t have the white trim of NZL32 and 38... nor the high gloss finish of that 1995 generation... and the fern livery was a dull grey rather than bright white.

But like anything, it can grow on you... and a fast boat is always a pleasing one. Now I look at that pic, Wethog, and see two awesome black battleships!

See I am the opposite.  I prefer the all black of NZL 60 over the ‘95 boats.  Complete bad ass. And the AC32 till now ETNZ boats are fugly. ETNZ had the market cornered on cool with the all black boats and the silver ferns. But I am a simple guy when it comes to AC boat paint jobs.  Accept for USA 36. ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its really sad how little in the way of pics/video there is of that boat, TNZ kept pretty quiet in the leadup & then wham bam 5-0 ma'am & it was gone forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WetHog said:

See I am the opposite.  I prefer the all black of NZL 60 over the ‘95 boats.  Complete bad ass. And the AC32 till now ETNZ boats are fugly. ETNZ had the market cornered on cool with the all black boats and the silver ferns. But I am a simple guy when it comes to AC boat paint jobs.  Accept for USA 36. ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

I do agree with you... the 'all black' boats look great; proper sailing weapons... though NZL32 is still a beautiful boat of course.  I guess once Emirates came onboard there were 'obligations' to get their colours in there... plus I think post-2003 there was a real push to move away from the past and all the memories it brought back!

Found this pic of 57 and 60... for a brief time they were painted in the 2003 livery (I guess before 81 and 82 were launched)... the silver fern is different, and SAP is onboard as a sponsor.

And yes, hoom, 57 and 60 kinda just melted away after 2000... very sad to see a successful America's Cup defender left in the sort of state it's in now.  

Two-boat+tuning+–+Team+NZ.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WetHog said:

Thanks for the pic.  Can you get some pictures of the cockpits?

And yeah that can't be USA 98.  Hull shape is wrong and last I heard of that boat USA 98 and USA 87 were for sale as a package along with containers of gear.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

I passed by these boats the other day and took some photos, including a slight view of one of the cockpits from as high as I could get.  82/92 looking pretty rough, but 60 and 38 seem better protected. 

Nice find above Doha!  

ETNZ IACCs (2).jpg

ETNZ IACCs (3).jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video here, if you haven't seen it.

A timelapse of NZL32's installation at the Maritime Museum in Auckland.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Richard2249 said:

I passed by these boats the other day and took some photos, including a slight view of one of the cockpits from as high as I could get.  82/92 looking pretty rough, but 60 and 38 seem better protected. 

Nice find above Doha!  

ETNZ IACCs (2).jpg

ETNZ IACCs (3).jpg

 

Great pics, Richard! Thanks for those.

Truth be told, I don't even know why they've bothered keeping 84 and 92... clearly they're finished, and in the grand scheme of things weren't that significant. 

Nice that 38 is well preserved... shrink-wrapped and everything!... but 60 is just a black hull.  She's doesn't look anything like the boat which won AC31.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Richard2249 said:

I passed by these boats the other day and took some photos, including a slight view of one of the cockpits from as high as I could get.  82/92 looking pretty rough, but 60 and 38 seem better protected. 

Nice find above Doha!  

I've never seen detailed photos of the cockpit and I remember comments from competitors of the LV Pacific Series, who weren't BMWO members, comment that they were surprised to see innovations incorporated into the cockpits of USA 87 and USA98 that they never thought of.  Ever since then I"ve been interested in cockpit photos whenever people like you are able to photo old AC boats. 

I can understand the state of 84/92 because they weren't Cup winning boats, but they were damn good boats all around.  Would think they were at least worthy of being tourist boats on the Gulf.  Oh well.

Anyway, thank you.  I appreciate the effort.

7 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

 

Great pics, Richard! Thanks for those.

Truth be told, I don't even know why they've bothered keeping 84 and 92... clearly they're finished, and in the grand scheme of things weren't that significant. 

Nice that 38 is well preserved... shrink-wrapped and everything!... but 60 is just a black hull.  She's doesn't look anything like the boat which won AC31.

I wonder why 38 is well preserved.  Wasn't that the one NZL used for the majority of the LVC back in '95 then switched to 32 for the final?  Also, I would think 60 would be held in higher regard than it is considering it is the only non-USA boat to successfully defend the Cup.  What ETNZ does with their Cup winning AC50 may shed light in their feelings towards their old winning boats.

And thanks for the video of 32 getting placed in the maritime museum.  Cool stuff.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WetHog said:

I wonder why 38 is well preserved.  Wasn't that the one NZL used for the majority of the LVC back in '95 then switched to 32 for the final?  Also, I would think 60 would be held in higher regard than it is considering it is the only non-USA boat to successfully defend the Cup.  What ETNZ does with their Cup winning AC50 may shed light in their feelings towards their old winning boats.

And thanks for the video of 32 getting placed in the maritime museum.  Cool stuff.

WetHog  :ph34r:

2

Yes, 38 sailed in the Round Robins in 1995... went through undefeated, or perhaps lost just one race... I can't remember exactly.  Then TNZ surprised everyone when they said they would use 32 for the Semis and Finals... the "old boat"... which turned out to be the REAL rocketship!

The plan for the winning AC50 was to have it on display at ETNZ's new permanent base in Auckland. However, that was under the original plans which had ETNZ based on Hobson Wharf (near the Maritime Museum as it happens).  Unfortunately, I feel there may not be room for the AC50 to be displayed at their new home (the Viaduct Events Centre).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

A timelapse of NZL32's installation at the Maritime Museum in Auckland. 

Huh, I didn't realise its suspended by the rigging :blink:

Been quite a while since I was in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 3:43 AM, monosailor said:

NZL82, NZL92, USA98 and NZL38 all at YDL in West Auckland. Looks like they are cleaning out the tank farm for bases already. 

38 very well protected, 82/92 in poor condition suggest they probably won’t sail again, stripped down off all Winches etc. 98 has been uncovered but still has Winches etc mounted on deck

E45C4052-85BF-4FD0-B76F-FDFF08C9A25F.jpeg

 

You know, this is a stupid thing to say, but it only just struck me that all these boats have been 'de-keeled'!

When they were being stored near the tank farm at Wynyard Wharf, they appeared to be up on high cradles (except for 38) which would have allowed room for the keels... but now they're all at ground level.  Almost certainly will never sail again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

 

You know, this is a stupid thing to say, but it only just struck me that all these boats have been 'de-keeled'!

 When they were being stored near the tank farm at Wynyard Wharf, they appeared to be up on high cradles (except for 38) which would have allowed room for the keels... but now they're all at ground level.  Almost certainly will never sail again.

do they have bolt on keels?

regardless, the odds of them hitting the water is pretty minimal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, inebriated said:

do they have bolt on keels?

regardless, the odds of them hitting the water is pretty minimal

Yeah, keel fins and keel bulbs were all interchangeable so them sitting like that doesn't mean they can't sail again but the likelihood of that is remote.  Especially 84/92 considering their condition. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being turned into foils as we speak ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, WetHog said:

See I am the opposite.  I prefer the all black of NZL 60 over the ‘95 boats.  Complete bad ass. And the AC32 till now ETNZ boats are fugly. ETNZ had the market cornered on cool with the all black boats and the silver ferns. But I am a simple guy when it comes to AC boat paint jobs.  Accept for USA 36. ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

ETNZ gave me hope when they put our their AC45 years ago in all black livery with a cool 'wet' flag on the bows, NEW ZEALAND on the side and a massive wing with NEW ZEALAND in crazy large font. That sadly didn't last long then it was back to the fugly red and black scheme again.

 

 

10615.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, Brutal said:

Here is Stars & Stripes '87 (US-55) after Hurricane Irma hit St. Maarten in late 2017.  No word on the current status of her salvage.  Since she was an aluminum boat, she should be salvageable, but the question is do they have the funds to salvage and repair all 3 of their boats sunk in the storm.  The 12-Metre Challenge website still opens to the Hurricane Irma update.

stars-and-sunk.jpg

That's too bad.  We had a great time aboard US-55 and I got to drive her around Great Bay while we were waiting for the next "crew."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember this is the AC: There Is No Second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boybland said:

Can’t believe this!

NZL20 was always so well looked after... she used to be moored at the Viaduct... and now, this. 

Up on the hard, keel cut off, and up for sale. Very sad. 

I’d buy her myself if I was still in New Zealand... wonder if the NZ Maritime Museum knows she’s for sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a real pity, we helped get it back sailing in 2003. Was a bit effort but a beautiful boat to sail and the owner loved it. The level of love must have dropped or financial issues. He kept someone looking after the boat for quite a while even until the time it got moved to Gulf Harbour. Suspect she will end up being cut up now.

28 minutes ago, DohaNZ said:

Can’t believe this!

NZL20 was always so well looked after... she used to be moored at the Viaduct... and now, this. 

Up on the hard, keel cut off, and up for sale. Very sad. 

I’d buy her myself if I was still in New Zealand... wonder if the NZ Maritime Museum knows she’s for sale?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always though she was in Queenstown. But it's NZL-14

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems such a shame- 9 tonnes of lead bulb @ $1.65/kg (NZ scrap prices) gets the boat yard just under $15,000 NZ  (http://www.metalcorp.co.nz/pricelist.php)

But now they are left with a lump of carbon fibre that used to be a sailable yacht, which they will struggle to sell and will end up costing them to remove?

Left intact, they might have got more than $15k?  

http://www.americas-cup-history.at/english/nzl-20 kiwi m 92.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites