planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

1 hour ago, Lakrass said:

Totally agree and sometimes it totally changes the perspective of the boat. Had the same feeling with Formula 1 cars when they run older cars but have to take away the tobacco sponsors, it leaves a hole and the car looks a bit odd and it's a mind game to convince myself that it's still the same car that I cheered for.

As a team, I am sure they would benefit more to leave the old boat in their original livery. As current ETNZ sponsors, they are probably in partly due to ETNZ heritage and past success and want to benefit from it but I would rather see a big Toyota or Emirates flag on the old boat than a totally new livery without appeal.

Well luckily her livery was changed back before she was put into the National Maritime Museum... but then that means the boat we see there ISN'T exactly the one which won the Cup back in 1995.  Ah well!

This was NZL32 several years ago when it was taken out of its wrap and was being fitted out for the Maritime Museum. 

IMG_4812.jpg

Yes between 1997 and 1999 38 and 32 were fitted out and changed shape for the Auckland training.
So not exactly the same but I would like to see 60 in a display too the first successful defender outside America.

17 minutes ago, Jono said:

Always a great website to browse. KZ5 is there with all the other 12m yachts. Look for 1986 12m. Now called Laura. USD 570k

Oh right-you-are. Nice to see her so well looked after. 

DAGO yesterday

2018BC040314.JPG

2018BC040312.JPG

2018BC040318.JPG

2018BC040330.JPG

Just Not the same without a family's Fortune embezzler sweating bullets and Smoking Cigg's on the back (wudda been a Fucking Hero if they Won on the other hand)

2018BC040324.JPG

^^^^    How much more would it cost to put ITA-1 (wrong # who would know BUT USA-1 ......... I Don't think so 

G'day crew, does anyone know if Australia3 and 4 are still in Miri Malaysia as per an old thread? Not sure what shape they would be in by know if they haven't been scrapped already. Great to see all of the old twelves get a new lease of life

2 minutes ago, Winging It said:

G'day crew, does anyone know if Australia3 and 4 are still in Miri Malaysia as per an old thread? Not sure what shape they would be in by know if they haven't been scrapped already. Great to see all of the old twelves get a new lease of life

Yep they still there....a long story short but there isn't any interest in restoring these 2 boats....shame though...last of the Lexcen designed boats!

Thanks, plenty of interest, just not enough capital in order to bring the heavy buggers back here, restore them and keep them, would love to do it, if I can find a way I will.

certainly not everybody's cup of tea, and compared to today's standard heavy and slow by comparison, however they are important 12 meters and should be given a new lease on life, any contact details of where the boats might be would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, Winging It said:

Thanks, plenty of interest, just not enough capital in order to bring the heavy buggers back here, restore them and keep them, would love to do it, if I can find a way I will.

certainly not everybody's cup of tea, and compared to today's standard heavy and slow by comparison, however they are important 12 meters and should be given a new lease on life, any contact details of where the boats might be would be appreciated.

Have PM'd you some interesting info on these 12's!!!