planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lakrass said:

Totally agree and sometimes it totally changes the perspective of the boat. Had the same feeling with Formula 1 cars when they run older cars but have to take away the tobacco sponsors, it leaves a hole and the car looks a bit odd and it's a mind game to convince myself that it's still the same car that I cheered for.

As a team, I am sure they would benefit more to leave the old boat in their original livery. As current ETNZ sponsors, they are probably in partly due to ETNZ heritage and past success and want to benefit from it but I would rather see a big Toyota or Emirates flag on the old boat than a totally new livery without appeal.

Well luckily her livery was changed back before she was put into the National Maritime Museum... but then that means the boat we see there ISN'T exactly the one which won the Cup back in 1995.  Ah well!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was NZL32 several years ago when it was taken out of its wrap and was being fitted out for the Maritime Museum. 

IMG_4812.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes between 1997 and 1999 38 and 32 were fitted out and changed shape for the Auckland training.
So not exactly the same but I would like to see 60 in a display too the first successful defender outside America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always a great website to browse. KZ5 is there with all the other 12m yachts. Look for 1986 12m. Now called Laura. USD 570k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jono said:

Always a great website to browse. KZ5 is there with all the other 12m yachts. Look for 1986 12m. Now called Laura. USD 570k

Oh right-you-are. Nice to see her so well looked after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAGO yesterday

2018BC040314.JPG

2018BC040312.JPG

2018BC040318.JPG

2018BC040330.JPG

Just Not the same without a family's Fortune embezzler sweating bullets and Smoking Cigg's on the back (wudda been a Fucking Hero if they Won on the other hand)

2018BC040324.JPG

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ a different angle. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^    How much more would it cost to put ITA-1 (wrong # who would know BUT USA-1 ......... I Don't think so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day crew, does anyone know if Australia3 and 4 are still in Miri Malaysia as per an old thread? Not sure what shape they would be in by know if they haven't been scrapped already. Great to see all of the old twelves get a new lease of life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Winging It said:

G'day crew, does anyone know if Australia3 and 4 are still in Miri Malaysia as per an old thread? Not sure what shape they would be in by know if they haven't been scrapped already. Great to see all of the old twelves get a new lease of life

Yep they still there....a long story short but there isn't any interest in restoring these 2 boats....shame though...last of the Lexcen designed boats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, plenty of interest, just not enough capital in order to bring the heavy buggers back here, restore them and keep them, would love to do it, if I can find a way I will.

certainly not everybody's cup of tea, and compared to today's standard heavy and slow by comparison, however they are important 12 meters and should be given a new lease on life, any contact details of where the boats might be would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Winging It said:

Thanks, plenty of interest, just not enough capital in order to bring the heavy buggers back here, restore them and keep them, would love to do it, if I can find a way I will.

certainly not everybody's cup of tea, and compared to today's standard heavy and slow by comparison, however they are important 12 meters and should be given a new lease on life, any contact details of where the boats might be would be appreciated.

Have PM'd you some interesting info on these 12's!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 3:38 AM, Emufriedchicken said:

Have PM'd you some interesting info on these 12's!!!

Shhhhhhh ......don't rell anyone Butt

you sudda just posted it here

jus sayin.  ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ranger being launched at Bath Iron Works, 1937. After winning the AC, Ranger was laid up and never sailed again. Boat was cut up for scrap just before WW2.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great images.

Fascinating guy, Vanderbilt. Treated like dirt by his mother, the formidable Alva Vanderbilt Belmont, he supposedly took up sailing because she hated being on a boat. He invented the game of Contract Bridge, and wrote some of the most incisive analyses of racing rules ever done. He once described the process of tuning a J Boat as "grains of sand and drops of water." Still true today, right down to the toy boats people like me sail.

Cheers,

Earl

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in DAGO Rotting on a Dock at the moment

2018BC100471.JPG

2018BC100469.JPG

2018BC100475.JPG

2018BC100478.JPG

ya I know its not a boat But what do you pay for your tarps :-O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, WetHog said:

 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Columbia is actively chartered. I'm interested to see what 12's show up next July here in Newport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 7:14 AM, RImike said:

Columbia is actively chartered. I'm interested to see what 12's show up next July here in Newport.

What and when is the event in July ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might help. 

North Americans coming up this weekend.  And World Champs next July.

 

With World Championship on Horizon,

12 Metre North Americans to be Hotly Contested 

NEWPORT, R.I. (Sept. 16, 2018) – From Friday through Sunday, September 21-23, nine historic 12 Metre yachts (including four past winners of the America’s Cup) and 150 of some of the world’s top sailors will be racing on Rhode Island Sound and Narragansett Bay in quest of the title 12 Metre North American Champion. In addition to being the capstone of the 2018 12 Metre racing season, the 2018 North American Championship will be the last major regatta before the 2019 World Championship season, which includes the 2019 12 Metre World Championship scheduled for next July 8-13 in Newport, R.I.

“The North Americans will be the last chance for the teams to identify opportunities to fine tune their boats and develop a work plan for the off-season to find that illusive extra tenth of a knot,” said Event Chair Peter Gerard, who also has spearheaded the organization of next year’s Worlds.

Competing in Traditional Division will be Defending Champion US-17 Weatherly (Jay Schachne, Barrington, R.I.); US-16 Columbia(Kevin Hagerty/Anthony Chiurco, Boston, Mass./Newport, R.I.); USA-19 Nefertiti (John Wullschleger, Sarasota, Fla.), USA 18 Easterner (Scott Bernard, Annapolis, Md.); and US-21 American Eagle (Bob Morton/Cindy DeLotto, Newport, R.I./Edgartown, Mass.). Competing in Modern Division will be Defending Champion KA-10 Challenge XII (Jack LeFort, Jamestown, R.I.); US-26Courageous (Ralph Isham/Steve Glaskock/Alexander Auersperg/Ward Marsh, Newport, R.I.); US-30 Freedom (Charles Robertson, Guilford, Conn.); and K-22 Victory ‘83 (Dennis Williams, Hobe Sound, Fla./Newport, R.I.

Eight races are scheduled. Courses will be windward-leeward, and at the end of each day the Race Committee may run a “race to the harbor” (that will not count as part of the North American Championship scoring).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a thorough look (tedious on my phone) I haven't seen Gretel 11 mentioned. She's looking good at the RYCT these days. 

received_2239846769423250.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 10:26 PM, KiwiJoker said:

This might help. 

North Americans coming up this weekend.  And World Champs next July.

 

With World Championship on Horizon,

12 Metre North Americans to be Hotly Contested 

NEWPORT, R.I. (Sept. 16, 2018) – From Friday through Sunday, September 21-23, nine historic 12 Metre yachts (including four past winners of the America’s Cup) and 150 of some of the world’s top sailors will be racing on Rhode Island Sound and Narragansett Bay in quest of the title 12 Metre North American Champion. In addition to being the capstone of the 2018 12 Metre racing season, the 2018 North American Championship will be the last major regatta before the 2019 World Championship season, which includes the 2019 12 Metre World Championship scheduled for next July 8-13 in Newport, R.I.

“The North Americans will be the last chance for the teams to identify opportunities to fine tune their boats and develop a work plan for the off-season to find that illusive extra tenth of a knot,” said Event Chair Peter Gerard, who also has spearheaded the organization of next year’s Worlds.

Competing in Traditional Division will be Defending Champion US-17 Weatherly (Jay Schachne, Barrington, R.I.); US-16 Columbia(Kevin Hagerty/Anthony Chiurco, Boston, Mass./Newport, R.I.); USA-19 Nefertiti (John Wullschleger, Sarasota, Fla.), USA 18 Easterner (Scott Bernard, Annapolis, Md.); and US-21 American Eagle (Bob Morton/Cindy DeLotto, Newport, R.I./Edgartown, Mass.). Competing in Modern Division will be Defending Champion KA-10 Challenge XII (Jack LeFort, Jamestown, R.I.); US-26Courageous (Ralph Isham/Steve Glaskock/Alexander Auersperg/Ward Marsh, Newport, R.I.); US-30 Freedom (Charles Robertson, Guilford, Conn.); and K-22 Victory ‘83 (Dennis Williams, Hobe Sound, Fla./Newport, R.I.

Eight races are scheduled. Courses will be windward-leeward, and at the end of each day the Race Committee may run a “race to the harbor” (that will not count as part of the North American Championship scoring).  

Thank you Kiwi, I’ll be in town for that one . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More (better) shots of Gretel 11 (borrowed from the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania's facebook page). The last one shows her dwarfing us (sail #57.)

43749111_1998185803570934_8325191094182608896_n.jpg

43762280_1998186153570899_5343032950806020096_n.jpg

43788701_1998186060237575_242021415719534592_n.jpg

43626616_1998186913570823_6346768255285198848_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is USA67, the IACC boat used by One World, still in Valencia?

 

Anyway, Paul Allen died this afternoon.  He sponsored a lot of good research in an incredibly broad range of areas.  RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Is USA67, the IACC boat used by One World, still in Valencia?

 

Anyway, Paul Allen died this afternoon.  He sponsored a lot of good research in an incredibly broad range of areas.  RIP.

+1, RIP.

Have always been an admirer of Paul Allen, including for his support of Seattle’s OneWorld AC team. JS was the helm, BA was on that team too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now