planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

i will pay that

even if for no other reason to keep it

what better for the city of sails to have a

great big beautiful sailboat thats still one of a kind as a statement piece sculpture

Anyone know what happened to the GBR Challenge boats? Especially the twin keel boat that sailed about 5 times!

On 10/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Neverwas said:

Anyone know what happened to the GBR Challenge boats? Especially the twin keel boat that sailed about 5 times!

Still in Cowes I think. Peter Harrison still owns the old base there. Can't remember whether the twin fin one ever got converted to something legal.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, Chimp too said:

Still in Cowes I think. Peter Harrison still owns the old base there. Can't remember whether the twin fin one ever got converted to something legal.

He does own that yard still 100%. I know there are at least 2 boats there (see 2019 google maps pic) I didn't know which ones they were.

I thought t least one of them was a Nippon boat though.

Mad how more pics of that twin keel boat never goat out. I heard stories of the after party at that cup, the shore crew went into the shed and found beer bottles on the bulb and messages left by other teams who had been in for a look but not sure how true that is.

Screenshot_2019-10-27_at_12_51_22.png

On 10/20/2019 at 2:48 AM, phill_nz said:

i will pay that

even if for no other reason to keep it

what better for the city of sails to have a

great big beautiful sailboat thats still one of a kind as a statement piece sculpture

KZ-1 did a east coast USA tour after San Diego.   Stopped off in Boston, so we headed down for the walkaround.   Felt like walking the deck of an aircraft carrier - weird feeling.   Talked up some Kiwis on board who said they jibbed it in 20kts down in New York and they didn’t plan on doing that again.  Lol!    Was a sight to behold in person.

I'm not sure if this was actually used in the Americas Cup or not...  The article I found said "TOMCAT is a performance racing Prosail 40 catamaran, that has served as a platform and inspiration for the direction of multi-hull America’s Cup sailing."

I stumbled on it at the Westpoint Marina in Redwood City yesterday.  I have no idea what the asking price is.  

fullsizeoutput_ccc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cd1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cde.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Il Moro?

Judging by the bow, ITA-1 the first IACC boat or ITA-7,  ITA-25 which lost to Bill Koch is in the US on dry land.

1125392219_0465.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolkenzug said:

That´s what I call a display. Wow. 

Where is that?

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 3.21.30 PM.png

My favourite, photo from 2015, I suppose she is still sailing. Dunno about Dame Pattie, Gretel III, Courageous.

Capture.PNG

12 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Dame Pattie in the Med.

84294305_Med13520_8ABED560-51DE-11E5-B2160244AC2C042D.thumb.jpg.44f7aa890427c72a084fbe7454daa5cb.jpg

Gretel II Hobart.

2116529814_G2stern.thumb.jpg.9a0e16254013ebde2b4cf1ca7eaafdbb.jpg

Courageous at the 2019 12m Worlds.

NEWPORT1.thumb.jpg.b3369d3d2cba68d9a6c376a31fcc5229.jpg

Thanks Priscilla, most beautiful boats, and still sailing. The golden era.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Heritage US23 last of the woodys.

4AC4F1D8-D516-416D-9B8E-F787A98B1DC0.thumb.jpeg.9d7a9f397f02a73c651cf3f37e346c22.jpeg

What about Valiant, US 24? Don't know which of those two was launched first, but Valiant's hull number is the last US woody.

Valiant is still racing and still missing about 6 feet of boat at the stern... going around being the tallest midget in the Classic Racing fleet rather than lining up against actual 12 Metres....

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

5 hours ago, accnick said:

What about Valiant, US 24? Don't know which of those two was launched first, but Valiant's hull number is the last US woody.

Most correct.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NZL4EVER said:

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 3.21.30 PM.png

Those used to be on display and the latest I believe are in indoor storage in Portsmouth RI. That was a few years ago however they still had the holes in them from the display. 

8 hours ago, accnick said:

The NYYC got Charlie to switch with them from 23 to 24, Heritage was the last wood 12. Heard it from Charlie himself at one of his talks during our Hospice Cup where sailing on Heritage is donated for bids to the charity.

Is Heritage even considered a 12 meter anymore considering that it won't measure in due to the modifications done to it. 

3 hours ago, RImike said:

Is Heritage even considered a 12 meter anymore considering that it won't measure in due to the modifications done to it. 

She does not currently hold a class certificate, but was restored to a 12mR rig a few years ago.

Are any of the old ACC boats considered ACC  boats these days, since none have current certs (not that there is currently any active ACC class organization), nor could they in their current state comply with the old Class Rule?

I would say we need to cut them a bit of slack. The are all still retired boats in recognizable form that were built for AC competition.

3 hours ago, accnick said:

I would say we need to cut them a bit of slack. The are all still retired boats in recognizable form that were built for AC competition.

Agree with that statement and as a example Gretel KA1 sits in Germany awaiting restoration by one of those brave souls that has very deep pockets and a passion for the class.

https://www.yard.robbeberking.com/en/angebote/gretel.php

d_e85b253013.thumb.jpg.c46920427663cf0c2261334faeff1dda.jpg

1980-Gretel-107-6-ACE.jpg.cc5aa11bc152803db22dc481c7f0fccd.jpg

gretel6.jpg.e37e49212897f383f61489985020ec23.jpg

Middle picture.  I remember that day quite well (early '80's?).  Big swell creating surf on the reef at South Head.  We had to dodge board riders waiting for another set of big waves on the way to the finish at Watsons bay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Middle picture.  I remember that day quite well (early '80's?).  Big swell creating surf on the reef at South Head.  We had to dodge board riders waiting for another set of big waves on the way to the finish at Watsons bay.

That is very cool, sad that we will probably never see the likes of it again. 

6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Agree with that statement and as a example Gretel KA1 sits in Germany awaiting restoration by one of those brave souls that has very deep pockets and a passion for the class.

1980-Gretel-107-6-ACE.jpg.cc5aa11bc152803db22dc481c7f0fccd.jpg

Great picture, great sailing.

Had a quick dig around and found this.

I didn't realise that KZ7 developed a gennaker (8:00). Great sailing conditions.  Dramatic sailing, mostly due to breakages and the fact that the teams don't seem to be as slick as they are now.

• Like 1

Friend and long-time lurker shared this with me, has the originals. We suspect taken back in NZ after(?) the challenge.

Fay himself can be seen in bottom shot.

IMG-20191108-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2

Reminds me I’ve got some pics of that day.  same sorts of shots  

you could pretty much walk from the city to Devonport via boats the harbour was so full. What a blast. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:41 AM, rh3000 said:

Friend and long-time lurker shared this with me, has the originals. We suspect taken back in NZ after(?) the challenge.

Fay himself can be seen in bottom shot.

IMG-20191108-WA0000.jpg

I believe thats the launch.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, Ex-yachtie said:

Had a quick dig around and found this.

I didn't realise that KZ7 developed a gennaker (8:00). Great sailing conditions.  Dramatic sailing, mostly due to breakages and the fact that the teams don't seem to be as slick as they are now.

I have this full raceday on VHS, AIV surfing back and forth across KIII's stern was classic. This vid did not show the best of it, they were only feet apart at times, throwing a ton of water into the air off their bow.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, RImike said:

I sailed on her back in 2016, they joke that she is a '13' meter, and the class invites her to race when they need an extra boat to fill-out the fleet.

edit: Heritage's mast is an old S&S stick.