planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

Sorry if this was posted earlier, ran across it. Really nice scenes.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Those sunnies are fucking fantastic!

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

That was an unbelievable day. A lot of us had no idea how much it would change the course of our lives for the next 35+ years.

My mooring back then was about 100 metres off what had previously  been Newport Offshore, and my office was right there in the shipyard. It was a ringside seat to one of the best summers in AC history.

It was just getting dark by the time the boats towed into the harbor, and the noise of boat horns was deafening, not to mention the signal cannons being fired, the fireworks, and the flares. A lot of Americans had fireworks ready to go to celebrate another NYYC victory, but they figured as long as they've paid for them, the might as well light them off. And they did, for what seemed like hours.

Of course, a lot of Australians came out of the local woodwork that day.

Even many of my American friends were excited, except for one who ran DC's office in both 1980 and 1983. She was in tears. But she still displays half models of Freedom and Liberty in her library at her winter home in Florida, and we still talk about it every time I go over to her house. She can look on the bright side now, 37 years later.

My press pass from that summer is tacked on the bulletin board in my office at home. I vaguely recognize the smiling young guy on it, now that I look like his father.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Those sunnies are fucking fantastic!

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

great footage there...even some of the World 12 meter Championships off Freo in '86....quick flashes of Australia III...think I still have my Carerra Sunnies stashed away somewhere too!!

On 6/15/2014 at 7:20 AM, DickDastardly said:

Sad. Spare keels too. Recent pix?

They really need rescuing.

You can still see them on Google Earth.

On 8/20/2016 at 5:00 PM, blottodiablo74 said:

Does anybody know what finally happened to Liberty? Not that it matters but so much- after all, It WAS the first American boat to lose the AC, but it is a fairly important, if dubious piece of AC history. You'd think someone might have wanted it to preserve it. 12mrclass.com has it listed as being sold to an "unknown Japanese owner" back in '89. Is that code for "Dennis had it trucked over to the Budweiser facility to make beer cans out of it in return for more sponsorship $$ for the '87 effort"? Kidding, but is it weird that THAT particular boat just disappeared? Kinda the most notorious 12 ever, next to AUS II......

Advance was the ugliest 12 above and below the waterline ever built, and I believe it ended up in some Michigan boatyard in multiple pieces later in its life. That I can see. It was a dog in all ways possible and I think it won 2 races overall in summer '83, both most likely flukes(poor Iain Murray, but I'd say the man landed on his feet). But...the boat that lost the Cup for the second time in 132 years? Maybe no one wanted it because of the psychological voodoo associated with it?

Speaking of '87 AC...........it amused me to no end that not one of the challengers or defenders showed up with a red boat that year.......

Anyone have a good picture of Advance they could post ?? 

34 minutes ago, Gorby said:

With or without the black nose they painted on it?

Has this been shared yet?  

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Here's a few, during her Australian trials (from Australian Yearbook of Sail '83) - before the black nose, I think that was added when they got to Newport. 

Advance_1.jpg

Advance_2.jpg

Advance_3.jpg

18 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

She may have been a dog, but she was a good dog. Thank you for posting these !!

Nice it's being kept up and sailing not rotting somewhere.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:00 PM, NZL3481 said:

I remember walking by the boat after it was eliminated and someone had written SS Titanic on it.  If I remember correctly she had a distinct transom and quarter section.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:13 AM, ~Stingray~~ said:

I know this was posted long ago...

That is Double Bullet II, a 76' racing catamaran designed, built, and raced by Bob Hanel. It has no mast because on the last attempt LA-Hawaii they flipped about midnight the first night about 250 miles off California. July 7 1999. Of course the mast was destroyed.

It sure was fun while it lasted! Wow!

http://www.josephoster.com/multihulls/doublebullet/index.html

The 12 meter yacht Weatherly US-17 was just sold and will be remaining in Newport, RI USA

Never a AC contender  Vim US15 built in 1939 and still in active Cup duty until 1970 as a trial horse for Frank Packers Gretel II which has recently just turned 50.

Home port Copenhagen.

b-w-old-photo2.thumb.jpg.17ee16d2c9b318c7c388de666e5db97c.jpg

VIM-US15.thumb.jpg.364dc28e17f7213943680e4c535e103c.jpg

^ "What are you doing honey, don't duck them, we'll cross for sure!" :lol:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

^ "What are you doing honey, don't duck them, we'll cross for sure!" :lol:

But they are on starboard.

^^^^^

She's ordered Domino's Pizza back when they had 30  minutes to deliver and has the Stopwatch running to see if they make delivery before the deadline.......... Otherwise those Lawyers on retainer, will have another matter to pursue.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:02 AM, Priscilla said:

Never a AC contender  Vim US15 built in 1939 and still in active Cup duty until 1970 as a trial horse for Frank Packers Gretel II which has recently just turned 50.

Home port Copenhagen.

b-w-old-photo2.thumb.jpg.17ee16d2c9b318c7c388de666e5db97c.jpg

VIM-US15.thumb.jpg.364dc28e17f7213943680e4c535e103c.jpg

Never a contender, but for sure a beautiful boat. Love the 12's from all eras. 

Does anyone know whatever happened to the Stars and Strips boat from AC36?

Too soon? :D

startsstrips.jpg

Going to be a planter in someones garden on Macatawa

On 6/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, Gorby said:

You can still see them on Google Earth.

Hi

I've tried looking for Bengal II and Bengal III (the old Australia IV and Australia III) on Google Earth, but can't find them. I'm wondering whether they have finally gone - they did look in a bad way.

Do you have any co-ordinates I could use as a starting point?

It's a shame to see the very last 12 metre yacht that Ben Lexcen designed in that state, but that's the way things go, I guess. Shortly after, he teamed up with David Lowe to form a yacht design firm, but I'm not sure whether anything he designed himself with that firm got built before he died.

I was at Royal Perth Yacht Club when Australia III was christened (I was a reciprocal member of RPYC via the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron). That was a bit of a gala. I bumped into Ben and his wife Yvonne (we'd met before) and told him I thought his new boat was beautiful. He said thanks. Three years later he was dead.

Regarding the other 12 metre yachts from Ben's drawing board:

Southern Cross has been extensively modified for island cruising in Queensland. Australia is working as a charter yacht. Australia II is sitting (rather like a butterfly with a pin through it) in Fremantle Maritime Museum. Challenge 12 has been extensively renovated and is racing (as a 12 metre) in USA. South Australia (now renamed New Sweden) had a tandem keel fitted and is also sailing as a 12 metre in Europe.

Cheers and thanks!

Karl

3 hours ago, Karlthevet said:

Hi

I've tried looking for Bengal II and Bengal III (the old Australia IV and Australia III) on Google Earth, but can't find them. I'm wondering whether they have finally gone - they did look in a bad way.

Do you have any co-ordinates I could use as a starting point?

I

4°23'02.56" N 113°58'14.34" E

23 hours ago, minch said:

4°23'02.56" N 113°58'14.34" E 

Hey Minch

Thanks for that - found them.

I'm not sure how current those images are - it would be interesting to see if anyone can verify those boats are still there.

Cheers!

Kark

Hi All

Great set of photos. Sverige is almost unrecognisable.

Pelle Petersson originally designed her as a "mini twelve" for the 1977 Americas Cup campaign. I think he based her on his champion 5.5 Metre Maybe design. She was designed with fairly full bilges for a metre yacht (which would have attracted quite a "d" penalty under the Metre Rule). Therefore she was shorter than most other twelves and with less sail area.

She also had a flat panel delineated by chines on the underside of her stern overhang. Notably, she also had a similar flat panel on the underside of her bow overhang - the thinking was that this would be an efficient cut water when the boat was heeled over and under way. This merged into the forefoot via a reverse knuckle (a little like what the Australian Bob Miller/Ben Lexcen designed Australian Twelve Metre Southern Cross had, but not as extreme).

Later twelves (Australia II being an early notable example) would adopt the flat panel at the stern overhang, but the flat panel bow never really caught on.

Petersson modified Sverige for the 1980 campaign - mainly in the bow area. The reverse knuckle seemed to be more extreme and the flat bow panel seemed to be gone. However she never really got going. After that, she dropped out of sight.

It looks like someone has done a lot of work to tidy up the bow. It now looks more conventional, but would definitely not measure well under the Metre Rule.

The cockpit fit out also looks very rebuilt. The foot powered coffee grinders are gone, but the tiller steering remains. I'm also presuming the two through hull openings near the stern quarter waterline have something to do with the engine and/or possibly cockpit drainage.

It's great to see that she's still sailing and clearly being looked after well - but it looks like she's really just a day sailer now, put out to pasture

Cheers!

Karl.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:03 PM, Karlthevet said:

Hey Minch

Thanks for that - found them.

I'm not sure how current those images are - it would be interesting to see if anyone can verify those boats are still there.

Cheers!

Kark

It usually says at the bottom of the screen on google earth- I think the most recent ones were from 2019.

Doing an iso-junk out of bookshelves and took these photos of Advance from an old book of 12m photos- one even includes the black nose and description.

The other shows how different she was compared to Challenge 12.

967A056C-8F2B-419E-AF9A-B6B24C3B8084.thumb.jpeg.574e2bb27a05138582b2e089972295dd.jpeg25D031EB-83DE-4B3F-B149-F4FA196A90B6.thumb.jpeg.a9c75384f5f1d499765db697e7b4e5e5.jpeg