planeruler

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

Hello All-

I've been looking for some books on the '87 America's Cup, specifically any that document the ups and downs of the defense syndicates. 

The Bond/Parry rivalry is interesting and the stories about the design philosophies and decisions intrigue me.  Same for the politics that led to the missed chance to make last minute mods to KOOKA II for the Cup final.

Anyone know if there is anything written and available about all this?   An Iain Murray biography maybe?  Any of the guys in the crews write any books?

I've looked around the web and Amazon etc and can't even find crew rosters.  I guess 1987 was still pre-interweb....

If anyone has a favorite let me know!

Thanks in advance, Serge

28 minutes ago, Serge A. Storms said:

Hello All-

I've been looking for some books on the '87 America's Cup, specifically any that document the ups and downs of the defense syndicates. 

The Bond/Parry rivalry is interesting and the stories about the design philosophies and decisions intrigue me.  Same for the politics that led to the missed chance to make last minute mods to KOOKA II for the Cup final.

Anyone know if there is anything written and available about all this?   An Iain Murray biography maybe?  Any of the guys in the crews write any books?

I've looked around the web and Amazon etc and can't even find crew rosters.  I guess 1987 was still pre-interweb....

If anyone has a favorite let me know!

Thanks in advance, Serge

Dennis Connor touched on this the Bond/Parry rivalry briefly in his book, COMEBACK, but probably not in the depth that you are looking for. It's been a long time since I read this book, but I do remember an anecdote about Bond giving Parry a boxing kangaroo battle flag from the AusIII/AusIV syndicate. Parry accepted the gift, but it never flew from his boats or at the team base. The only crew I remember for Kookaburra are Iain Murray and Peter Gilmour. For the AusIII/AusIV team I remember Colin Beashel on the helm and I think Grant Simmer was on the crew as well. I know the John Bertrand had a falling out with Bondy after JB said some less than flattering things about AB in his book after the '83 Cup. He wasn't involved in Bond's defense syndicate. I've read several books on the '87 Cup and none have given a ton of information on the Bond/Parry rivalry.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:30 AM, jackolantern said:

Hi Serge

Most of that information is anecdotal. There are still a lot of people around who were on the scene in Perth in 1987. I was a member of Royal Perth Yacht Club at the time and me and quite a few of my sailing mates were involved in some way or another in the Perth based defense syndicates run by Bond and Parry. Given how close knit the local sailing community was, we were also across a lot of the scuttlebutt as it happened.

I think had the America's Cup been defended successfully, somebody would probably have thought it worth their while to write a book or three about those times. However, its loss was a huge personal setback for a number of the key players and I imagine the last thing they would have wanted at the time was for this to be chronicled and published. Most of these guys very quickly moved on.

Bond, Parry, Jones and Lexcen are no longer here to give their sides of the saga. Murray has always been closemouthed. Others have simply gone on to other things (some still very much America's Cup related).

In this day and age, there doesn't seem to be much general public interest in what happened in Perth in 1987. Even though some of the Fremantle twelves have been restored and are still raced, their current owners don't have much of a connection with the 1987 series. So I think anybody thinking of putting together some memories of these times would have a hard time convincing a publishing house to market such a story.

The last book I know written about Ben Lexcen (in 2018 by Bob Ross and called "Being with Benny") is a little cursory in its coverage of the 1987 series probably because Lexcen had become a little disengaged by then.

Even Fremantle no longer has much to show for what went on in 1987. You can just make out where the livery was on the roof of the old Parry syndicate base - when I was last there, those buildings weren't in use. The Bond syndicate headquarters are gone, replaced by the building shed where a replica of Captain Cook's ship Endeavour was built (and which is now pretty much closed). A spare Australia II mast with a plaque still stands at the Royal Perth Yacht Club Fremantle Annex. There is also a granite plaque let into the dock area where the America II syndicate was based (a tribute to "Arthur Wullschleger and his boys.."). That's just about it.

Of course Australia II sits in the WA Maritime Museum in Fremantle like a dead butterfly on a pin, but that's more about her 1983 victory (even though she is as she was after her deck was modified in 1984 for Australian conditions and the sails with which she is exhibited are not the ones she used to win the America's Cup).

I fear that the main repositories of such history will be forums such as this one where people get together and reminisce.

Cheers!

Karl

“An Auckland millionaire is challenging the Queenstown-Lakes District Council’s claim he abandoned an ex-America’s Cup yacht in Lake Wakatipu.

The council is selling the boat, likely because of unpaid mooring fees, but owner Geoff Hunt said the council never sent him a bill.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123156298/millionaire-denies-abandoning-examericas-cup-yacht-being-sold-by-queenstown-council

4A81F894-7BFD-44AD-BA59-F40D21484A9E.jpeg

^

Owner sounds on the level, 600k!

said he had sold about 12 islands and once owned one himself in Northland, which he had since sold.

The boat was bought three years ago through his charity the NZL14 Youth Aid Foundation Queenstown. Its aim is to work with disadvantaged youth and train them to sail.

He wanted the yacht to be used for the next 25 years for “kids that are struggling with depression and bi-polar tendencies”, Hunt said.

The foundation owes Hunt $600,000 on the boat. Because of this, he did not believe the council could get “clear title” on the vessel

10 hours ago, barfy said:

^

Owner sounds on the level, 600k!

said he had sold about 12 islands and once owned one himself in Northland, which he had since sold.

The boat was bought three years ago through his charity the NZL14 Youth Aid Foundation Queenstown. Its aim is to work with disadvantaged youth and train them to sail.

He wanted the yacht to be used for the next 25 years for “kids that are struggling with depression and bi-polar tendencies”, Hunt said.

The foundation owes Hunt $600,000 on the boat. Because of this, he did not believe the council could get “clear title” on the vessel

Barfy ,Geoff Hunt has been chased from stem to stern in this country for dodgy dealings and ain’t no multi millionaire philanthropist more a fantasist.

Here’s a puff piece the reality is far far different.

https://waterline.co.nz/news/955-sailing-and-salvation.html

https://crux.org.nz/community/property-developer-abandons-americas-cup-yacht-council-pays/

Mr Hunt may not be the real deal but the boat is Knud Reimers Tumlare.

04FD02EF-894A-430B-AC9E-662574552E11.jpeg.131bcfd3caecd272d568ef674a9d458c.jpeg

9190FC25-547E-4D3B-9163-B55A0C9CA43B.thumb.jpeg.1e4ebbc4928b6ffa763844f0e6bfba50.jpeg

• Like 2

Was it restored to the level of the second shot? Or still a project languishing in a yard?

40 minutes ago, barfy said:

Was it restored to the level of the second shot? Or still a project languishing in a yard?

Still languishing sadly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Not strictly AC but you know what I mean.

Superb!  To think that but for the Coronavirus pandemic we'd be witnessing the spectacle of J-Class racing down here in Auckland after Christmas.

13 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Superb!  To think that but for the Coronavirus pandemic we'd be witnessing the spectacle of J-Class racing down here in Auckland after Christmas.

Next time!

21 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

I was recently invited to and then attended a private ‘virtual tour’ in a stunning VR model of the NYYC this morning, including a detailed experience of the AC Model Room. In some respects it was better than being there in person because of the view angles possible, truly amazing. Among many, we inspected the lines of the J hulls from ‘28 (?) through ‘37, from various angles, all done in minutely fine detail at a 3/8” to 1’ ratio. What was supposed to be a 1hr tour went for almost 3 hours! Am so grateful to you (if you are reading this) and can’t wait to take up the invitation to also see those magnificent models in person, in that stunning setting. The guy who led me around was incredibly knowledgeable, which combined with his love for the place made it all the richer. I feel like I had a drink at the bar, the same one that he did on his first visit! 

I've been in contact with the current owner of Stars and Stripes 88 Softsail. Has only been advertised "low-key" but is available for the right price. Got a walkthough of it for my channel a while back. benjamin@unitedyacht.com if you are interested and have around 100k with the necessary refit costs in your pocket lol.

Also Stars and Stripes 87 is for sale now with Ian Martin of Condomaran Guru, it's is also in equally rough shape after Irma.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/derecktor-12-meter-3711284/

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, DohaNZ said:

I took this pic four years ago from the offices of the Sir Peter Blake Foundation... August 2015. 

CD15DAD2-4DBC-40B8-BED2-A8500E77CEE2.jpeg

never got that view in 2000

But did get the Invite (and on The LIST) to the Defenders CLUB by 6'-4" who I got to tip a few back with stage Left in this PIC

"THOSE" were Magical Days !!!!!!

43 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Just saw this one last weekend.

Doesn't look to be going anywhere soon.

https://stormking.org

543DA00E-F484-4640-86BD-201E5B3C2CC7.jpeg

I can never get over how little respect boats get post AC.

This was in the actual fucking cup itself for fucks sake!

Sure it got it's arse kicked, but it is a beautiful piece of technology and history all rolled into one.

Even cup winners seem to get treated badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Just saw this one last weekend.

Doesn't look to be going anywhere soon.

https://stormking.org

543DA00E-F484-4640-86BD-201E5B3C2CC7.jpeg

The hull painting was designed by american pop artist roy lichtenstein, it's in a super cool sculpture park upstate new york, I would say that is a beautiful setting for an AC afterlife of enlightening many different people.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jaysper said:

I can never get over how little respect boats get post AC.

This was in the actual fucking cup itself for fucks sake!

Sure it got it's arse kicked, but it is a beautiful piece of technology and history all rolled into one.

Even cup winners seem to get treated badly.

IACC boats are never going to have an afterlife as the 12 metres or the J’s have with their classic circuits.

IIRC I do not know of a single boat being bought and raced after its time in the AC.

Many reasons for that:-

1) cannot be raced other than inshore but with deep water because of draft. Not many places in the world to do that.

2) They are long and narrow with huge sailing loads. Everything is carbon, which has minimal flex, it is either strong or it snaps, no margin for error.

3) Needs a large and top notch crew to get them around the course.

4) Maintenance intensive

5) 2,3&4 above needs very deep pockets to finance, and if you did have the money required why would you? Rich guys or sponsors  like to compete in prestigious regattas or high profile races, Fastnet in Young America anyone? 

6) There was little glamour associated with IACC’s,  they were tools for a certain job, mostly corporately sponsored. They were not good looking boats, J’s and 12’s were not fast, but they have a style, and they have history, and have proper names:- Ranger/Endeavour/Courageous etc  v ETNZ/One world/Alinghi. 

7) Even retired they need a big building if they are going to be put in a museum

So they were never going to have much of an afterlife, and the latest crop of foiling monohulls are I believe destined for a similar fate. Too complex, too fragile,  too narrow an operating range.  I cannot see anyone buying one for Cowes week, unlike the days where the 12m White Crusader used to regularly compete . 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, trt131 said:

Not strictly AC but you know what I mean.

Very elegant video, thank you for posting.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, Nips said:

IACC boats are never going to have an afterlife as the 12 metres or the J’s have with their classic circuits.

IIRC I do not know of a single boat being bought and raced after its time in the AC.

1) cannot be raced other than inshore but with deep water because of draft. Not many places in the world to do that.

2) They are long and narrow with huge sailing loads. Everything is carbon, which has minimal flex, it is either strong or it snaps, no margin for error.

4) Maintenance intensive

5) 2,3&4 above needs very deep pockets to finance, and if you did have the money required why would you? Rich guys or sponsors  like to compete in prestigious regattas or high profile races, Fastnet in Young America anyone? 

6) There was little glamour associated with IACC’s,  they were tools for a certain job, mostly corporately sponsored. They were not good looking boats, J’s and 12’s were not fast, but they have a style, and they have history, and have proper names:- Ranger/Endeavour/Courageous etc  v ETNZ/One world/Alinghi. 

7) Even retired they need a big building if they are going to be put in a museum

So they were never going to have much of an afterlife, and the latest crop of foiling monohulls are I believe destined for a similar fate. Too complex, too fragile,  too narrow an operating range.  I cannot see anyone buying one for Cowes week, unlike the days where the 12m White Crusader used to regularly compete . 

Exactly, chainsaw and be done with them.

Gilles Martin-Raget's portfolio is an absolute goldmine. 

https://www.martin-raget.com/

My favourite is the AC33 album, which includes photos of the dismasting back when dogzilla was still called BOR90. Along with the wing sail controls, BMW engine installation and so on.... Go take a minute on it, maybe even 20 just to look at all this recent AC history. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 10:59 PM, strider470 said:

Found this old video. Italian yacht +39 dismantled in Valencia seven years after the 2007 America's Cup. In the video a very sad Luca Devoti.

https://farevela.net/2014/11/26/americas-cut-cosi-finisce-picconate-storia-iacc-video-lopinione-luca-devoti/

Poor bastard. Looked close to tears.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Is it too early to move Patriot to this thread?

It's certainly easier to move here, given the number of pieces it's in...

This is the Moro di Venezia II (ITA 7) during the 2020 TAG Heuer VELA Cup  in Venice last year.

It's one of the 5 boats with the same name, built for the 1992 America's Cup Campaign. It was launched on 7 August 1990 and was used as a training boat before the Louis Vuitton Cup. It returned to Italy and remained unused for a long time in Monfalcone, except for a few participations to some Barcolana in the 2000s. The boat has been entirely restored thanks to Gianfranco Natali, an Umbrian entrepreneur and great sailing enthusiast who bought it in 2018. Present location the northern Adriatic Sea.

It's still a beauty, isn't it?

1173344695_MoroLogo.jpg.84136dbb011c160021f51bb84cbecac7.jpgMoro_II_-_a.thumb.jpg.e9e5f4a090e825eca4dda5202a4da620.jpg1264343735_MoroII-b.thumb.jpg.e02aca3f56bdf8e1a19e0a83c30f5f09.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/23/2020 at 4:06 AM, Nips said:

4) Maintenance intensive

Not used for racing but there are a couple of old IACC boats at the Auckland viaduct you can pay to go for a sail. Mostly a tourist thing but at least the boats are in use.

https://www.exploregroup.co.nz/destinations/auckland/sailing/americas-cup-sailing/

11.jpg

On 5/11/2014 at 10:00 PM, Crouton said:

There's an 1987 era Stars & Stripes 12 Meter in use on Hilton Head Island. Boat apparently was one of as many as four built by that campaign that cycle and was only used as a trial horse against other S&S stablemates.

She looks about as well as can be expected and apparently gets a lot of use as a charter boat/evening sail deal for tourists. Little bit undignified but beats the alternative of having become a Schlitz can in about 1990.

I have fond memories of those trial horses. My ship, USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), was anchored off of Perth for 10 days between the end of Louis Vitton Cup and the beginning of the America's Cup proper. Dennis sent two of them out to take our enlisted sailors for rides. Huge thrill.

35 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Not used for racing but there are a couple of old IACC boats at the Auckland viaduct you can pay to go for a sail. Mostly a tourist thing but at least the boats are in use.

https://www.exploregroup.co.nz/destinations/auckland/sailing/americas-cup-sailing/

11.jpg

NZL-68 has an interesting story. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

On 04/12/2020 at 5:00 AM, accnick said:

She doesn't quite look like that now. I took this up at Gulf Harbour two years ago. A few key components are missing.......

NZL-20-1.JPG

Was up there a few weeks ago and she didn't look this good 

On 3/26/2018 at 11:37 AM, Colomba said:

28954365_1891664960892482_439765274717685414_o.thumb.jpg.beff142605ebb367b7d2b5a91cacd4f6.jpg

just checked on google earth, this is still there!

One would think storing it in a port would be costly, but seems to be lost of spare ground around.

At least it's actually not taking up that much space, plenty of dinghy's sheltering in between the hulls.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Valencia,+Spain/@39.4572029,-0.3157958,71m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xd604f4cf0efb06f:0xb4a351011f7f1d39!8m2!3d39.4699075!4d-0.3762881

this is rather dated now.. 

Edited by shebeen
new info

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

just checked on google earth, this is still there!

One would think storing it in a port would be costly, but seems to be lost of spare ground around.

At least it's actually not taking up that much space, plenty of dinghy's sheltering in between the hulls.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Valencia,+Spain/@39.4572029,-0.3157958,71m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xd604f4cf0efb06f:0xb4a351011f7f1d39!8m2!3d39.4699075!4d-0.3762881

this is rather dated now.. 

Slightly newer:
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/157227-where-are-they-now-retired-americas-cup-boat/&page=8&tab=comments#comment-7127381

On 1/26/2021 at 1:29 PM, strider470 said:

This is the Moro di Venezia II (ITA 7) during the 2020 TAG Heuer VELA Cup  in Venice last year.

It's one of the 5 boats with the same name, built for the 1992 America's Cup Campaign. It was launched on 7 August 1990 and was used as a training boat before the Louis Vuitton Cup. It returned to Italy and remained unused for a long time in Monfalcone, except for a few participations to some Barcolana in the 2000s. The boat has been entirely restored thanks to Gianfranco Natali, an Umbrian entrepreneur and great sailing enthusiast who bought it in 2018. Present location the northern Adriatic Sea.

It's still a beauty, isn't it?

1173344695_MoroLogo.jpg.84136dbb011c160021f51bb84cbecac7.jpgMoro_II_-_a.thumb.jpg.e9e5f4a090e825eca4dda5202a4da620.jpg1264343735_MoroII-b.thumb.jpg.e02aca3f56bdf8e1a19e0a83c30f5f09.jpg

where's the cushon and Big Ashtray on transom ?

Sad TRAGIC Story behind those Yachts and that Campaign

Paul was ROCKING IT for quite awhile till "The CUP"

there are still wheels in DAGO Bay and off the shore where the races were held

they fell off everywhere

I'd Much rather be the guy whos KANGAROO ROCKET Buckled and dove to the bottom never to be seen again

9 hours ago, Priscilla said:

ITA-15 trial horse.

Dayum, she fat.

The stern looks the part but I'm having a hard time believing they haven't fattened up the front 2/3 in the cruiserification :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Priscilla said:

This is not the IACC Moro di Venezia III (ITA 15). Many boats (mostly maxi yacht) owned by Raul Gardini since the 70s were named "Il Moro di Venezia". There were 9 of them, and the last five were IACC yachts. I'm quite sure the Moro di Venezia III (ITA 15) is permanently shown in Ravenna (Gardini's hometown), owned by the harbour authorities. https://www.ravennawebtv.it/il-moro-di-venezia-iii-va-in-testa-al-canale-candiano/

SV25_Storia_Yachting.pdf

8 hours ago, strider470 said:

This is not the IACC Moro di Venezia III (ITA 15). Many boats (mostly maxi yacht) owned by Raul Gardini since the 70s were named "Il Moro di Venezia". There were 9 of them, and the last five were IACC yachts. I'm quite sure the Moro di Venezia III (ITA 15) is permanently shown in Ravenna (Gardini's hometown), owned by the harbour authorities. https://www.ravennawebtv.it/il-moro-di-venezia-iii-va-in-testa-al-canale-candiano/

SV25_Storia_Yachting.pdf

Crikey I hope they got the right boat.:(

Since 2014, KM Yachtbuilders, specialists in constructing aluminum sailing yachts, has refitted some 30 yachts of up to 70ft. Soon, it’ll get cracking on a very special one: Il Moro di Venezia III, one of 5 German Frers-designed racers Italian industrialist Raul Gardini funded to compete in IACC World Championship and America’s Cup racing in the 1990s.

Bearing sail number ITA-15, the yacht won the 1991 IACC World Championship. In 1992, she trialed for the AC-qualifying Louis Vuitton Cup, but soon her star faded – a common fate for AC yachts. She ended up at the Sail Academy in Genoa, then at another Italian team, then at America’s Cup Management which used the yacht as a VIP and PR boat and then become a ward of the Ravenna port authority.

KM Yachtbuilders says a “new Italian owner has taken an interest in the Ill Moro yachts and will have the number III refitted at our yard. Unfortunately, there is not much left of the original regatta characteristics as the yacht had been converted to a cruiser.”

The refit will be done in close collaboration With the German Frers office and the owner’s representative, Says KM Yachtbuilders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Moro_Challenge

24 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Since 2014, KM Yachtbuilders, specialists in constructing aluminum sailing yachts, has refitted some 30 yachts of up to 70ft. Soon, it’ll get cracking on a very special one: Il Moro di Venezia III, one of 5 German Frers-designed racers Italian industrialist Raul Gardini funded to compete in IACC World Championship and America’s Cup racing in the 1990s.

Bearing sail number ITA-15, the yacht won the 1991 IACC World Championship. In 1992, she trialed for the AC-qualifying Louis Vuitton Cup, but soon her star faded – a common fate for AC yachts. She ended up at the Sail Academy in Genoa, then at another Italian team, then at America’s Cup Management which used the yacht as a VIP and PR boat and then become a ward of the Ravenna port authority.

KM Yachtbuilders says a “new Italian owner has taken an interest in the Ill Moro yachts and will have the number III refitted at our yard. Unfortunately, there is not much left of the original regatta characteristics as the yacht had been converted to a cruiser.”

The refit will be done in close collaboration With the German Frers office and the owner’s representative, Says KM Yachtbuilders.

Yes I've read that too, but I'm not very convinced it's accurate. Also the shape of the hull makes me think that it is one of the previous Moro di Venezia and not the IACC. German Frers was the designer of choice of Mr. Gardini for most of his racing boats. On the other hand the pictures and video from Ravenna are undoubtedly that of an IACC Moro di Venezia and all the sources, even Wikipedia, say it's the Moro 3. As we say here in Italy, someone got a "sola" (got ripped off).

When I've time I'll do some research to better understand this case. It's interesting! If you find something new let me know.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Yes I've read that too, but I'm not very convinced it's accurate. Also the shape of the hull makes me think that it is one of the previous Moro di Venezia and not the IACC. German Frers was the designer of choice of Mr. Gardini for most of his racing boats. On the other hand the pictures and video from Ravenna are undoubtedly that of an IACC Moro di Venezia and all the sources, even Wikipedia, say it's the Moro 3. As we say here in Italy, someone got a "sola" (got ripped off).

When I've time I'll do some research to better understand this case. It's interesting! If you find something new let me know.

This piece by Antonio Vettese lists all of Rauls yachts.

https://fondazioneraulgardini.org/en/navigatore/

6 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

This piece by Antonio Vettese lists all of Rauls yachts.

https://fondazioneraulgardini.org/en/navigatore/

In my opinion it's the Moro III but the Maxi. The numeration system is at least confusing :-D

Raul Gardini wants to win and sets in motion a new project: another Frers design with another lightweight alloy. Il Moro di Venezia III, finally, wins the San Francisco Maxi World Championship of 1989. The skipper is Paul Pierre Cayard, a young, handsome Californian and student of the American sailing greats, including the legendary Tom Blackaller. This victory is the beginning of a new adventure: “We were in a bar celebrating – Paul Cayard, German Frers, Angelo Vianello and I,” Gardini recounts, “And we decided that the time had come to mount an America’s Cup challenge. We had a winning team.”

I'll ask Tommaso Chieffi who was part of the crew on the Moro during the 1992 America's Cup, he is a friend of mine on facebook and he's really a friendly and humble person.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, strider470 said:

In my opinion it's the Moro III but the Maxi. The numeration system is at least confusing :-D

Raul Gardini wants to win and sets in motion a new project: another Frers design with another lightweight alloy. Il Moro di Venezia III, finally, wins the San Francisco Maxi World Championship of 1989. The skipper is Paul Pierre Cayard, a young, handsome Californian and student of the American sailing greats, including the legendary Tom Blackaller. This victory is the beginning of a new adventure: “We were in a bar celebrating – Paul Cayard, German Frers, Angelo Vianello and I,” Gardini recounts, “And we decided that the time had come to mount an America’s Cup challenge. We had a winning team.”

I'll ask Tommaso Chieffi who was part of the crew on the Moro during the 1992 America's Cup, he is a friend of mine on facebook and he's really a friendly and humble person.

True she may well be the 1988 Maxi Worlds winner.

Without any doubt the saga of boats Il Moro di Venezia is the most important of Italy and one of the most recognized in the world of sailing. Its name is in association with Raul Gardini, who lived passionately the races during his few leisure times. His strong character and ample economy always led him to own big boats. First were the Maxis IOR and later the IACC to challenge for the Auld Mug.

His eight boats saga have only had two things in common, the name inspired by William Shakespeare’s Othello play and all of them were designed by Germán Frers, in an extraordinary fidelity of Gardini to the argentinian designer for 15 years.

All began in 1976 with the first Maxi of 20.41 meters built in laminated wood. The second member of the family was launched in 1983 increasing its length to 21.79 meters. She brought the innovation of blending a kevlar-carbon laminate deck with an aluminium hull. Changes on the rules of the Maxi IOR Class, which increased the maximum length from 70 to 80 feet, supposed the third Gardini’s boat in 1987, with which he won the Maxi Worlds in 1988.

She is too narrow for a IAAC of that period.

Il-Moro-popa.jpg.2115693dafdf2ee82fe399dce6de18ff.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

That bow section and the bustle ahead of the rudder are pure IOR design features.  That's not an IACC boat.

Yup Strider nailed it with the maxi call.

Hope the owner knows it's provenance.

Be interesting to see what comes out of the KM shed.

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Mascalzone Latino, Napoli, Italia. A few hours ago.

01.thumb.jpg.f583f2ae3913542d30b7641d00d290d4.jpg02.thumb.jpg.7e6f276bce14ad18664761000a3e227e.jpg03.thumb.jpg.d39a7909d54dbd1b72fef04965b96b27.jpg04.thumb.jpg.8e07ddc878431020b35eab18b7c645a4.jpg

Is the boat on permanent display? And where is it in Naples? Cool photos. 

5 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Is the boat on permanent display? And where is it in Naples? Cool photos. 

The boat is near "Molo Beverello", in front of the "Maschio Angioino" since 2007, on permanent display, but to say the truth it is more parked than valorized as it should be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

The boat is near "Molo Beverello", in front of the "Maschio Angioino" since 2007, on permanent display, but to say the truth it is more parked than valorized as it should be.

Thanks, might go there this summer COVID permitting. 

• Like 1

Will be interesting which parking lot will be the home of Patriot and Magic. 

Here are a couple dumped in Cowes,  no doubt some poor sucker is still picking up the tab. Probably Sir Ben's first victim as the rule was changed to cats soon after they were shipped to the UK.

FB_IMG_1612020453176.jpg

9 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Here are a couple dumped in Cowes,  no doubt some poor sucker is still picking up the tab. Probably Sir Ben's first victim as the rule was changed to cats soon after they were shipped to the UK.

FB_IMG_1612020453176.jpg

They would look beautiful on display somehwere more prominent in Cowes considering the heritage of the place. 

10 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Thanks, might go there this summer COVID permitting. 

Let me know when you are here around! I'm often in Napoli. Ciao

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

They would look beautiful on display somehwere more prominent in Cowes considering the heritage of the place. 

Well if Sir Ben pulls off a miracle could be part of a RYS Cup museum. 

Too soon?

images.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Too soon?

images.jpeg

Scoreboard says 8 zip so not too soon Sail. Amway is on it’s way to join the other failures that reside in the NYYC model room which interestingly  is a less amount of failures that can be attributed to TNZ.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, winchfodder said:

FB_IMG_1612020453176.jpg

That would be GBR70 & 78 from the 2003 Cup, GBR Challenge, so missed the Cat cups by a way. They were, maybe still are, sat in Medina Yard, which was and maybe still is owned by Peter Harrison, Team Owner GBR Challenge. One of the former crew members now runs the yard and a fair few race boats sit there. 

Sorry to bust your bubble Winch...

On 31/01/2021 at 10:05 PM, Priscilla said:

Scoreboard says 8 zip so not too soon Sail. Amway is on it’s way to join the other failures that reside in the NYYC model room which interestingly  is a less amount of failures that can be attributed to TNZ.

Imagine a hall of shame for AC losing skippers I. The modern era...

1. D Barker

2. C Dickson.

3. Rod Davis

4. .....

8 minutes ago, Baconator said:

Imagine a hall of shame for AC losing skippers I. The modern era...

1. D Barker

2. C Dickson.

3. Rod Davis

4. .....

Paul Cayard

This was a really good, sailboat related thread until you, A4E/dg_sailingfan, came here to barf your DB hate into it as well.
What a sick troll you are that needs to poison each and ever thread with your obsession. Get help, this behavior is not healthy.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

Paul Cayard

Here in Italy Paul Cayard is a legend! Since the times of the Moro di  Venezia back in 1992. Even people that know nothing about sailing remember him  very well. The Moro is still the most successful Italian challenger so far in the America's Cup. The death of Mr Gardini and all the scandals in Italian politics of those years brought this  huge project to a sudden death. In 1995 the Cup could have easily taken a different road. Gardini was much more powerful than Mr Bertelli,  believe me.

On 07/02/2021 at 9:36 AM, Rennmaus said:

This was a really good, sailboat related thread until you, A4E/dg_sailingfan, came here to barf your DB hate into it as well.
What a sick troll you are that needs to poison each and ever thread with your obsession. Get help, this behavior is not healthy.

That's great ... You're trolling a troll with your septic comments.     ..   that makes you a super troll with less morals or ethics than me. :D:lol:

On 07/02/2021 at 9:28 AM, NZL4EVER said:

Paul Cayard

Tom blackaller.

2 hours ago, Baconator said:

Tom blackaller.

I don't remember Blackaller or Dickson in the AC. Or Rod Davis.

• Like 1