• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Doug Lord

Gunboat G4 Foiler

11083950_805433592838862_826463179406586

Sharon Green photo, boat has been re-righted. To my eye, this is ocean swell with some mixed chop, but not 15 TWS. Maybe 10-12? Anybody know more about the conditions

Yes the foiling pics appear to be about those conditions. Don't reall the wind velocity reported on from page article by Ben Hall.

Billy,

Ben was out in 18-20 TWS perhaps even up to 22 kn at times. Full on foiling conditions. The boat won't foil in 10 TWS, believe me. Will be great if we can find out what happened - over the side heeling, pitchpole, or a combination.

Some have suggested reverse pitchpole, but I am not going there.

Looks like the mast is intact (which is a relief). Main looks like it has a tear. Bows look LOW in the water. Plenty of water in the hulls by the looks of things.

Forecast was 13-18. Even on light days there can be rumbly puffs coming over the island. Judging by the photos I think it's in the nw lee of the island.

Bummer. Still a wicked cool boat, and of course like all multihulls it can (and did) flip. I'd still prefer a g4 to any monohull in the world. But obviously an inopportune time to flip. Haters gonna hate. The trolls just got a feast.

Ok jokes appart, does anyone really knows what happened, or we will have to wait for an official press release, within ... two months

high performance catamaran flips when it is being pushed hard in a race..., what's to explain?

In 06 a SeaCart 30 flipped before the start of a regatta in Sweden .... the re-rightend it in the same way as here by using a rib and it later started in the regatta.

That was also early when the boat was new - I havent heard about SeaCart 30s that has flipped after that. (And after that regatta- Lidingø Rundt - the former owner of my T-35 flipped it too - which was the reason we bought it later... and it hasnt flipped again...so far...)

The G4 will now get a real bad-ass reputation!

Ok jokes appart, does anyone really knows what happened, or we will have to wait for an official press release, within ... two months

high performance catamaran flips when it is being pushed hard in a race..., what's to explain?

People with much more knowledge than me (DS) ask the same question

Crap! I hope everyone is OK.

Cruiser.... Racer, whatever... nobody likes to see this.

Fantastic boat. I would love to experience the exhileration.

But calling it a cruising boat is beyond my imagination. I simply would not dare taking anybody aboard less than professional sailors let alone some kids and friends.

Is it me thinking that the boat is frequently more bow down than ı would be comfortable with? Gives me the impression that it is about to be pitchpoled any moment. Somehow wish the foils to be a foot or so more forward than where they are.

I agree.

As cool as this thing is, my feeling is that it won't be too long before the is a FP article about how the new G4 is upside down.

We started reporting on the faster, lighter, more powerful GC32 around 35 months ago. How many of those are upside down?

I hate to say I towed a so Clean, but, I fuckin I towed a so(trailer park boys fans will get it).

Honestly, I didn't think it would happen this soon, I figured they would get half a season or so out of it...

Hope they get I sorted quickly and back out sailing again soon.

Chris O is going to love this.

But whatever, shit happens. I'm glad they saved the rig. Looks like the sails need some attention and then back to it.

Chris O does not love this.

Getting flipped is not a part of the sidebar discussion as to racer or cruiser. From what I read, there isn't a real explanation as to how it happened, as of yet, so I'm in a wait and see mode like everybody and just pleased that nobody was hurt.

It's one thing to kick around the smack on semantic topics and another, entirely, when a boat goes over.

Billy,

Ben was out in 18-20 TWS perhaps even up to 22 kn at times. Full on foiling conditions. The boat won't foil in 10 TWS, believe me. Will be great if we can find out what happened - over the side heeling, pitchpole, or a combination.

Possible pitchpole? that would explain that the rigging didn`t fail

"mans gotta know his limitations" And now, they do. Thats a positive! The others are nothing appears to have broken! Everyone survived with 1 minor injury, the boat was righted simply and quickly, intact! That shows its design strength. Its performance has been nothing short of phenomenonal against some of the worlds top Monos and multis. Race report from Larso was a superb analysis of their own and others efforts. Thanks Paul. Cheers all. PS now we can all await the relaunch of the full foiling Mod 70 Gitana! A RACE boat.

Chris O states " I design boats like this myself " in thread on Gunboat G4:

You design boats like what Chris O? Like Gunboat G4? Pictures of the boats like G4 you have designed or you are full of shit. O wait...you ARE full of shit.

Billy,

Please explain. I don't buy that. Side capsize is damped. Pitch pole can be violent.

I was wrong about not foiling due to wind speed. Jesus R's Facebook has them foiling under the masthead code without difficulty.

pieterjan states it was a lack of ease in main as dump is too slow. Seems like virbac all over again.

The picture seems to show it went over side not bows. Could have been while foiling and there is a geometric reduction in RM with heel for sure.

It also was not an auto tack nor capsize to windward. T Alive, off foil and stuff bows would happen most likely with broken rake control on some foil. You can't just erase the lift too many other ways. If you did I would not expect her to stop but go full pitch pole. Not this case.

pieterjan states it was a lack of ease in main as dump is too slow. Seems like virbac all over again.

And countless X40s. Something needs to be done about hydraulic mainsheets

Hard to believe so much money, time, energy and experience goes into a boat but the main sheet won't ease quickly enough??

I was wrong about not foiling due to wind speed. Jesus R's Facebook has them foiling under the masthead code without difficulty.

The picture seems to show it went over side not bows. Could have been while foiling and there is a geometric reduction in RM with heel for sure.

It also was not an auto tack nor capsize to windward. T Alive, off foil and stuff bows would happen most likely with broken rake control on some foil. You can't just erase the lift too many other ways. If you did I would not expect her to stop but go full pitch pole. Not this case.

Jim Clark, Ken Read & co. look like they made the right choice Clean :-)

&

Will GB's be automatically DSQ from Syd-Hob when multis are allowed to enter? You know, sometime after 2030.

Gotta give it back everynow & then. EH EH EH ...

Fantastic boat. I would love to experience the exhileration.

But calling it a cruising boat is beyond my imagination. I simply would not dare taking anybody aboard less than professional sailors let alone some kids and friends.

Is it me thinking that the boat is frequently more bow down than ı would be comfortable with? Gives me the impression that it is about to be pitchpoled any moment. Somehow wish the foils to be a foot or so more forward than where they are.

I agree.

As cool as this thing is, my feeling is that it won't be too long before the is a FP article about how the new G4 is upside down.

We started reporting on the faster, lighter, more powerful GC32 around 35 months ago. How many of those are upside down?

I hate to say I towed a so Clean, but, I fuckin I towed a so(trailer park boys fans will get it).

Honestly, I didn't think it would happen this soon, I figured they would get half a season or so out of it...

Hope they get I sorted quickly and back out sailing again soon.

We've been talking about it amongst the SA crew here in Charleston all week, especially knowing that Mischa is down there to push her through her paces. John Casey, Mischa's longtime nemesis in the F-18 fleet, said it certainly won't be the last time, especially when pro beach cat sailors are given their heads and told to push. If the recovery was as simple as I am told, and if there is insignificant damage as I am told, it might even inspire a little confidence to push hard when racing in deep water with tender support. If you don't have to worry about destroying that beefy Hall rig or your main$$$$ail when washing it...

Fair play, though you might remember that Rambler 100 was far closer to killing a big pile of people than any gunboat ever was.

Fair play, though you might remember that Rambler 100 was far closer to killing a big pile of people than any gunboat ever was.

So far .... & what's the mono / multi death per nm sailed ratio?

Yes I've got my hand on it ;-)

not a clue, and only relevant to this discussion if we're talking about racing. Definitely curious as to what the ratio is for racing though. Cruising? Meh.

Isn't this the worlds first cruising foiling multi

Clean?

http://www.gunboat.com/series/gunboat-g4/

Huh?

It's a Yachting World quote that Gunboat put up on their Facebook site. "Gunboat has produced the world's first foiling cruising yacht"

Also direct Gunboat quotes:

"A NEW MULTIPURPOSE COASTAL CRUISER-RACER"

"easy to handle and forgiving weekender"

"The GUNBOAT G4 is simple and easy to sail."

Billy,

Please explain. I don't buy that. Side capsize is damped. Pitch pole can be violent.

I do not know, that's why I was asking you. A side capsize and turn over with sails sheeted, wouldn`t have broken the mast?

Hard to believe so much money, time, energy and experience goes into a boat but the main sheet won't ease quickly enough??

Agree completely. Inexplicable that this problem, so well known for DECADES, hasn't been solved. Every time a racing multihull flips, it's another black eye for all sensible, safe and comfortable cruising multihulls.

^^ Which is fine with me. If more people had multi's, I'd never be able to find an end tie!

Based on the previous pictures and videos I think the mainsheet release is the center pedal at the helmsman's feet, but I'm just guessing.

From the wipe-out video the gennaker gets completely smoked and the traveler is dumped pretty hard. It basically looks like the driver didn't bear away with the puff or possible even drove up a little bit and that's what did them in.

I'm glad everybody's fine. Although the drop onto the mast looked painful. I too was surprised by how quickly the boat turtled. Maybe it would help to seal the mast.

Since everybody was ok, I will admit to a little bit of schadenfreude when I see a boat full of top pros make what appears to be a stupid mistake. It makes me feel ever so slightly better about my own mistakes on the water.

In any event, I still think it's an awesome boat and I'm not too worried about anybody buying one not understanding what they're stepping into.

Billy,

I do not know, that's why I was asking you. A side capsize and turn over with sails sheeted, wouldn`t have broken the mast?

Apart from the obviously evidence, no! A pitchpole is harder but should not either in truth, though the deceleration as the masthead snaps into the water is not really a nice precise calculation. Far worse for the mast would be pounding the masthead on the bottom.

. It basically looks like the driver didn't bear away with the puff or possible even drove up a little bit and that's what did them in.

That seems to be the case, looking at the rudder angle

post-50012-0-36021700-1429458547_thumb.jpg

. It basically looks like the driver didn't bear away with the puff or possible even drove up a little bit and that's what did them in.

That seems to be the case, looking at the rudder angle

To me it looks like a combination of that, and dropping off the foils in a big hurry when they blew the Code zero. Quick speed loss would make for a pretty irritating change in apparent wind, especially when you're already near the point of no return.

It seems to me that this boat can be configured in race mode or cruise mode. In cruise mode, the rig can be reefed but, more importantly, the foils can both be partially lowered and set to zero angle of incidence which would be a "set it and forget it" cruise mode(at least in deep water) with the foils adding to ride comfort. The boat wouldn't foil but it would probably sail pretty quickly.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt......

How it flipped:

I give Gunboat that - they are not running and hiding!

....."what doesnt kill you just make you stronger"!

When i said it was waiting to happen, only a few days ago i honestly didnt expect it to be so soon.

I was kind of thinking a rough sea state with a lot less experienced crew aboard.

For me, thats the end of the definiton of 'new age cruising' many of you advocated.

All the respect to anybody who pushes the boundaries to create a boat like this. They are certainly smart. But the sea is smarter.

When i first watched the intro video i got a sense of uneasiness. N.A. may argue to the contrary but when it comes to sea, if something doesnt look right it probably isnt.

Tribute to Joshua Slocum and 'Spray'. He was not fast but he got there..

When i said it was waiting to happen, only a few days ago i honestly didnt expect it to be so soon.

I was kind of thinking a rough sea state with a lot less experienced crew aboard.

For me, thats the end of the definiton of 'new age cruising' many of you advocated.

All the respect to anybody who pushes the boundaries to create a boat like this. They are certainly smart. But the sea is smarter.

When i first watched the intro video i got a sense of uneasiness. N.A. may argue to the contrary but when it comes to sea, if something doesnt look right it probably isnt.

Tribute to Joshua Slocum and 'Spray'. He was not fast but he got there..

Funny you say that - all kudos to Slocum. But most folks concur that Spray was a POS.

I've watched the video a few times, and at .45 it looks like to me the crew sitting behind the helmsman on the windward stern stepped on the tiller tie bar pushing it to leeward causing the helmsman to not be able to drive off. Does anybody else see this?

We've been talking about it amongst the SA crew here in Charleston all week, especially knowing that Mischa is down there to push her through her paces. John Casey, Mischa's longtime nemesis in the F-18 fleet, said it certainly won't be the last time, especially when pro beach cat sailors are given their heads and told to push. If the recovery was as simple as I am told, and if there is insignificant damage as I am told, it might even inspire a little confidence to push hard when racing in deep water with tender support. If you don't have to worry about destroying that beefy Hall rig or your main$$$$ail when washing it...

On a regular beach cat, the boat steers fast, the sails can be dumped fast and they still they go over plenty.

On the new foilers that are intended to be super beach cats, the capsize rate is probably less. The fast response actions available combined with foils that are effective at keeping the bow from diving have really helped.

On a boat this scale and weight, the speed of roll in response to a gust is a lot less, but the crew was obviously challenged in their ability to respond as needed. The main traveler should have been let out sooner before even coming close (say when the boat first lifted the windward rudder out). Then there was the lack of main sheet release when "awe s**t" was the thought in everyone's head.

Driving a boat like this "beach cat hard" is probably "just a choice" with known risks. It is good that the boat seems to be able to take it.

The crew on any large racing multi should probably be trained and conduct drills to hammer in the safest things to do if it going over (like don't climb over the high side, just grab something with both hands and hang on). From C cat to AC 45 to all of the other big multies, the videos of people crashing hard into carbon masts is a lot of "shots on goal" for a serious event.

And of course, there really does seem to be a need to fully dump sheets to deal with changes in apparent wind direction. I am not sure what is the right choice for the helm. The G4 looks to have steered up. With the heel at the time the centrifugal force of the turn worked against them even though it seem to take a little pressure off of the main. The boat slowed some more and then the apparent wind direction change took over and it was over she goes.

But on the other hand, the video before the rollover showed a "cruiser" smoking pretty fast in some not so smooth water. Check out bow plowing through the waves.

So glad no one was stunned under the tramp or badly injured by the fall. Was anyone inside during the event? That would've been an interesting washing machine kind of ride.

There is no way this is a wife and kids foiling cruiser. But you can take them (with boards detuned, boat depowered) to the race site with crew aboard and wine&cheese with them on the boat. Your crew can sleep aboard and have stuff ready to race when you return, and all you are out is a hotel room for the family, and maybe another for the crew's showers and such. The crew's kit goes in a dock box or the hotel room while you race.

The Bahamas? Get a couple of pros to help and you could legitimately consider foiling there (without young kids) from West Palm or Miami (without little kids of course). You could think up all kinds of ways to make this work. But how GB responds to these learning curve moments will have a huge impact on future owner's decisions. The "Wipeout" vid is an excellent start.

&

Will GB's be automatically DSQ from Syd-Hob when multis are allowed to enter? You know, sometime after 2030.

Gotta give it back everynow & then. EH EH EH ...

That makes sense only if Comanche was conceived as a family friendly racer-cruiser. Which, given the scale of economic inequality today, would indeed seem to make sense.

[OTT Ex post facto quarterbacking?]No bear away?[/oepfq]

Paul Larson got it right when he says the St Barts course makes it hard for the G4's foiling.

All the foiling classes (AC, A and c class cats, Moths) race windward/leewards.

Those foiling class championships where the mark is DDW, a foiler stays on its feet by finding whatever gybe angle it needs. The helmsman steers through a wide range of downwind angles.

In these island hopping regattas I imagine they are trying to foil a compass course (reaching) and the need to bear away has to be tempered with need to make the mark.

It would be like trying to sail an 18 at 100 degrees true wind angle in a fresh breeze.

After watching the wipeout vid a few times it looks to me that the bridgedeck under wing windage might have helped her go over, she lifted pretty friggen high before the leeward hull landed exposing plenty of under wing before rolling over. I know of several multis even going over backwards due to underwing and net windage.

I've watched the video a few times, and at .45 it looks like to me the crew sitting behind the helmsman on the windward stern stepped on the tiller tie bar pushing it to leeward causing the helmsman to not be able to drive off. Does anybody else see this?

I can't see what you are referring too.

I do see the helm going both ways with the tiller and nothing happening... "I got no steering fellas"

It may look different on the computer though...

Looks like one of the crew was bailing out over the high side to get onto the centreboard... slipped on the shiny topsides, caught the shrouds, missed the foil, landed on the mast then ended up in the headsail.

I can't see what you are referring too.

I do see the helm going both ways with the tiller and nothing happening... "I got no steering fellas"

It may look different on the computer though...

Looks like one of the crew was bailing out over the high side to get onto the centreboard... slipped on the shiny topsides, caught the shrouds, missed the foil, landed on the mast then ended up in the headsail.

I think it's the traveller he steps on. The tiller bar is slightly forward of that.

Typical foiling crash.

It climbs a wave crest and gets very bow high. If nothing is done the foil will break out of the water in the next trough, so the helm is put down slightly to track more across the wave ridge and flatten approach to the trough, standard foil practice in moths. Usually needs windward heal and lots of sheet eased.

But with sloping TNZ type foils, and leeward heal, this induces more bow up and the when it gets too high the typical big side slip and splash down. All this slows the boat hugely and the apparent wind moves aft from maybe 50deg to 90deg. The big ease of the headsail has minimal effect, its still full of wind as the boat reaches point of no return. Add on the momentum effect of the mass of the whole boat well above the CLR with turn to port and the roll to std it induces.

I have no idea what they should have done as I have no experience with this type of foils, but I have been in this position many times in 10 years of moth foiling, saved it most of the time, but lots of crashes. Difference is we just get it up and keep going.

I did observe that the AC72s stopped using the big headsail once foiling was possible.

I helped a couple of guys in a partnership in a tri to convert from a mast aft position as designed to a mast forward config that would permit a large fully battened main and a less that fully overlapped jib and we put in a very trick traveller and a hydraulic ram in the boom to deal with the main leech loads. On these boats, the traveller becomes 'angle of attack' and the mainsheet becomes 'leech tension' and puts it into a new role when thinking of what to dump first in a impending capsize. It turned out that the hydraulic beast we had buried in the boom was very slow in responding to the 'Oh Shit" moments

The hydraulic main sheet proved to be too slow to dump in an impending stuff or flyover (heading up instead of heading down) and the compression loads of the mast that much further aft eventually split the boat athwartship!

I think the original rig was eventually put back on the boat and she is now a [art of the Golden Oldies fleet.

A very field proven lesson.

You blokes saying they should have beared (borne?) away, BS, the G4 was close reaching, main centred, apparent wind way forward. Beariing off as the boat slowed (actually it didn't slow at the crucial point of no return) because as they drove through the swell the foil lifted the lee hull bow up - and G4 went into a common old broach. There were maybe 2 seconds for the main to be dumped (reacher/screecher went first) for the boat to remain on its feet. Bearing off - did I say BS?

Here's a question for those that know...or think they know... how effective do you think this would be in an OHSHIT moment.

On a multi with a canting rig having the ability to "dump" the side stay... ie let the mast fall to leeward by releasing the tension on the windward side via a quick release (not easing thru the tackle which is too slow). Note this is not releasing the stays completely rather just allowing the rig to fall over to its max opposite cant.

There would need to be some shock loading absorption at the end of travel so as not to kill the rig but the way I see it it does two very important things fast.

1. depower the masthead

2. throw some momentum in the right direction

Its great that we have this video to study/discuss and even better that no one was seriously hurt as that drop to the mast looked nasty.

I seriously doubt that event will dampen sales as its just part of the territory when doing the wild thing in any multi race boat or cruiser (hey you can flip a Jarcat if you try hard enough). Those that are surprised by such an events possibility have no place sailing a powered up beast like this G4

The way I look at it past a certain point of heel the rudder is useless, depowering the sails is effective only if the exposed windage of the hull hasn't become the dominant factor and the only thing left is the ability to throw something to leeward like the mast.

For the record I sail a TrailerTri so hardly a powered up race boat so this is a question not a statement

Cheers

Mark

PS still think this G4 or is that G$ (with the caps stuck) is pretty cool and impressive production design no matter what tag one want to stick to it. ...a rose by any other name would smell as sweet....

Does anyone else have a thought that this capsize was a staged event?

Have you taken a look at all the gobs of posts here and a couple of dozen other boating outlets, as well as Facebook?

The event is being innoculated as "just one of those things that happen all the time" to race boats on the edge, even if the conditions were functionally benign. Just happened to have a proper righting tool on hand, a helo with ready shooters who had full daylight.... and the footage is virtually, instantaneously cleared for viewing so that endless speculation and excuse making can begin from a primed and adoring gang of mouth gapers.

Either you've been had, or Mischa is a shittier driver than he appears. I think it is the former.

You could be onto something there- if you look closely at the helicopter you can see doctor evil smiling out of the window, just after he used the heli's downdraught to blow G4 over.

There are also contrails faintly seen in the sky in the capsize pics; I think PJ got DARPA to help with some localized gust creation too..

Are you seriously trying to say this was purely staged for marketing benefit???

I for one am glad your dreams of being a yacht designer never bore fruit if thats how your marketing brain works...

In the real world of yacht design, on water testing means pushing a boat to its limits; a professional design crew wouldnt do that if they didnt have the back up resources needed if things go pear shaped.

I would go out on a limb and say they were prepared very well (just as well as they achieved their original design brief) , and have maintained integrity [this time] by what they have promptly disclosed.

Im dissapointed PJ didnt get your experienced helming hands intead of Mischa's ChrisO, I'm sure it was just that PJ couldnt afford you so had to settle for Mischa instead ;)

post-63466-0-62070100-1429518415_thumb.jpg

I know its 4.20 day, and where I am it was just 4.20

But seriously Chris O, what are you smoking cause it's putting the world's supply to shame

Seriously cause the only explanation other than that is that the Cuckoo's Nest just got internet?

Clearly the boats doing alright if the blokes can do that and be almost laughing afterwards!

If its simply a matter of not being able to dump hydraulic assisted sheets then that's simple to fix. Farm tractors use post rammers which operate by hydraulic fluid pushing a cylinder ram and weight upwards via a normal sized spool . Once the ram reaches the top of stroke a dump valve, ie large valve and large return line, is activated and the ram and weight free fall pushing the post into the ground. The pressure on a main sheet could easily retract a ram if the oil can escape fast enough. There would be no need to modify the existing hydraulic system apart from a dump valve and large return line which would be plumbed into but operate separately from the existing system. You still need the fine control of the existing system.

When I look at the video the main doesn't appear to swing free and wide enough to dump the wind.

Cheers

Bottman

[OTT Ex post facto quarterbacking?]No bear away?[/oepfq]

Paul Larson got it right when he says the St Barts course makes it hard for the G4's foiling.

All the foiling classes (AC, A and c class cats, Moths) race windward/leewards.

Those foiling class championships where the mark is DDW, a foiler stays on its feet by finding whatever gybe angle it needs. The helmsman steers through a wide range of downwind angles.

In these island hopping regattas I imagine they are trying to foil a compass course (reaching) and the need to bear away has to be tempered with need to make the mark.

It would be like trying to sail an 18 at 100 degrees true wind angle in a fresh breeze.

I agree trickypig. Looks to me like they were squeezing for height, not sailing for max' speed of max downwind VMG. I've been there myself on Two Tribes and it's not a happy situation. The essential factor need is a quick and easy method of dumping lots of main, which should have been done at 00:44 and all would have been fine. They would not have even lost much speed.

A 2:1 mainsheet with 2 turns around a winch and the tail uncleated in the helms other hand is the requirement for this sort of sailing. Anything more than 2:1 is too slow to dump.

This situation should never have arisen. Much better to go where the spin takes you then drop it and 2-sail back up to the mark. Don't squeeze for height with the spin up in any decent breeze - asking for trouble.

I guess I don't really understand the appeal of this boat. ok so you want a foiling cat, but you have to sail it with 3-4 pros on board to get it to fly? Why not save an assload of money and get a GC32? ok so you want to fast-cruise for a weekend with the wife and kids? Why do you need a cat that could foil? Why not build a smaller version of the 55, make it super simple so it's easy to sail with the family, but can still go fast?

Not that I'll ever be able to afford any of these boats, but I don't understand all the logic behind the G4. Maybe it will make a couple of owners really happy, but I don't think they'll sell a ton, especially after this capsize. Sure it's gonna happen with a new boat and they were pushing the limits and that's fine and all, but I don't think it's gonna help people sell the boat to their reluctant spouses...

But seriously Chris O, what are you smoking cause it's putting the world's supply to shame

Seriously cause the only explanation other than that is that the Cuckoo's Nest just got internet?

Clearly the boats doing alright if the blokes can do that and be almost laughing afterwards!

...I fear for the espresso maker.

I think this is a great idea. Not a new idea but well worth re-examining using state-of-the-art technology. Doesn't have to be heavy, just reliable. Well within GB's technical capabilities.

Here's a question for those that know...or think they know... how effective do you think this would be in an OHSHIT moment.

On a multi with a canting rig having the ability to "dump" the side stay... ie let the mast fall to leeward by releasing the tension on the windward side via a quick release (not easing thru the tackle which is too slow). Note this is not releasing the stays completely rather just allowing the rig to fall over to its max opposite cant.

There would need to be some shock loading absorption at the end of travel so as not to kill the rig but the way I see it it does two very important things fast.
1. depower the masthead

Its great that we have this video to study/discuss and even better that no one was seriously hurt as that drop to the mast looked nasty.

I seriously doubt that event will dampen sales as its just part of the territory when doing the wild thing in any multi race boat or cruiser (hey you can flip a Jarcat if you try hard enough). Those that are surprised by such an events possibility have no place sailing a powered up beast like this G4

The way I look at it past a certain point of heel the rudder is useless, depowering the sails is effective only if the exposed windage of the hull hasn't become the dominant factor and the only thing left is the ability to throw something to leeward like the mast.

For the record I sail a TrailerTri so hardly a powered up race boat so this is a question not a statement

Cheers

Mark

PS still think this G4 or is that G$ (with the caps stuck) is pretty cool and impressive production design no matter what tag one want to stick to it. ...a rose by any other name would smell as sweet....

Used as a righting system on RC cats 25 years ago and I think it's been used fullsize as well.

...I fear for the espresso maker.

I hope the head was still virgin.

I'm thinking chopper kill.

Helicopter passes to leeward, crosses bow and circles aft.

Thing get out of control as G4 encounters the wake the chopper left in front.

In the video, there is a cut away to G4 passing a bunch of monos, and then back to the capsize from astern.

I am assuming this was editing and not the actual sequence of events.

The turbulence put into the wind by helicopters does not disate very fast, and it is remarkable how many great shots of high performance boat are taken from. Helicopters.

Unless this was drone footage, then nevermind.

I wonder if there were provision for turtle get in the mechanical design. In big tri's the diesels don't necessarily get wet until you right the boat. If there is time, you can salvage a lot before you revert. Suitable baffles might make it that thes boats could go down and back without f flooding everything. Which would seem pretty clever to me.

I'm a bit surprised at how quickly she turtles, and wonder if this could or should be addressed. There is something to be said for both postures.

Best wishes!

SHC

I think this is a great idea. Not a new idea but well worth re-examining using state-of-the-art technology. Doesn't have to be heavy, just reliable. Well within GB's technical capabilities.

1. depower the masthead

Cheers

Mark

Isn't that what they do on the big tris?

I think they crank their rigs to windward, and can dump it to leeward quickly.

Could be wrong though.

I'm thinking chopper kill.

Helicopter passes to leeward, crosses bow and circles aft.

Thing get out of control as G4 encounters the wake the chopper left in front.

In the video, there is a cut away to G4 passing a bunch of monos, and then back to the capsize from astern.

I am assuming this was editing and not the actual sequence of events.

The turbulence put into the wind by helicopters does not disate very fast, and it is remarkable how many great shots of high performance boat are taken from. Helicopters.

Unless this was drone footage, then nevermind.

I wonder if there were provision for turtle get in the mechanical design. In big tri's the diesels don't necessarily get wet until you right the boat. If there is time, you can salvage a lot before you revert. Suitable baffles might make it that thes boats could go down and back without f flooding everything. Which would seem pretty clever to me.

I'm a bit surprised at how quickly she turtles, and wonder if this could or should be addressed. There is something to be said for both postures.

Best wishes!

SHC

Down wash? really?

I have huge respect SHC but given AWS and AWA i don't buy it.

Really enjoying all this fantastic coverage of the G4. Can't wait for them to enter the rental fleet so I can enjoy cruising with my family.