Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

Looks like a pearson flyer 30...

You would appear to be correct. Definitely not a J of any sort.

A terrible traffic accident involving a Pearson flyer about 20 min before it occurs.

A boat built when keels stayed attached?

A Pearson flyer from the Great Lakes nudging from the VC17 bottom and shaddy trailer

Trailer - cradle?

cradles are meant to go ON trailer not BE the trailer! I am sure the set up is just fine for local moves, just don't attempt to do any long hauls with it.

Also judging from the picture it appears to be very OG.. looks like the original hardware is still on the deck

Crazy painted Pearson flyer to me..

Or maybe an accident waiting to happen.

Love the windows

"Fun" to drive over a big highway bridge on a windy day.

Depending on your definition of fun.

And whether you make it to said bridge.

Seriously?. Pearson Flyer. One of the most underrated PHRF sleepers of all time!

Thanks for posting Scot! Never expected that.

Yes kids - it's a '81 Pearson Flyer. Been in my family for 25 years or so. Some of the deck gear is original - some isn't. Note the black aluminum rails that replaced the old teak ones.

The trailer is an old car trailer my brother used back when he was racing cars. We had it modified so we could weld the metal cradle to it. It moves about 1.5 miles on a pretty smooth black top road from the Gougeon Boat Yard where the photo was taken to the yard where I launch at about 10 mph. Been doing it for 20 years or so without incident.

Despite a few comments here (I can take it!) I really like the way it turned out. Certainly unlike any other Flyer I've seen on the Great Lakes anyway. The white is rolled Interlux Perfection and the logo is Briteside.

Fire Away!

Looks like the boat I sailed on this weekend for SBRW...only with a way more painful looking rail where your legs swing out to hike.

Looks like the boat I sailed on this weekend for SBRW...only with a way more painful looking rail where your legs swing out to hike.

We use 20" lengths of "fun noodles" (pool toys) split on one side and they fit right over the rail to save the blood flow to one's feet.

Sleeper for sure, especially under the old Caribbean rule. Rudy Thompson in St Thomas bought one when all the other hot skippers were getting J-29's. They laughed at him until he scribed a line 9" below the sheer and took a Sawsall to it. Cut the whole deck off and then scribed in from the sheer in plan to match the new flange that got laminated to the inside of the hull. His explanation was that 30' x 9" of topside was equivalent to a sheet of plywood and told anyone who inquired to try and stand on the foredeck in 20 knots true while sailing to weather. Seems like the Flyer was replacing a Tartan 10 that was named 'Cold Beer' but was having trouble holding off the newer growing J-29 fleet. I suggested that he named the cut down Flyer 'Flat Beer' but he eventually named it 'Light Beer' and even got some sponsorship from the local Coors distributor. Boat sailed great with a comfortable cockpit and they left those torturous toerails off as they had been on the Tartan before and none of the crew ever wanted to sit on those things again. The boat looked 100% better as well, but any boat that always makes the podium tends to look better.

I'm curious what are the three threats?

I originally owned the boat with my dad and brother and it was the name of Stevie Ray Vaughn's band before Double Trouble.

Yes kids - it's a '81 Pearson Flyer. Been in my family for 25 years or so. Some of the deck gear is original - some isn't. Note the black aluminum rails that replaced the old teak ones.

The trailer is an old car trailer my brother used back when he was racing cars. We had it modified so we could weld the metal cradle to it. It moves about 1.5 miles on a pretty smooth black top road from the Gougeon Boat Yard where the photo was taken to the yard where I launch at about 10 mph. Been doing it for 20 years or so without incident.

Despite a few comments here (I can take it!) I really like the way it turned out. Certainly unlike any other Flyer I've seen on the Great Lakes anyway. The white is rolled Interlux Perfection and the logo is Briteside.

Fire Away!

What do you have in it for an engine? I had one of those beasties for about 13 or 14 years. It is now on its 4th owner still sailing on Lake Michigan. We took the original one cylinder BMW out of it and replaced it with a used 2 cylinder Yanmar.

Ive always liked the Pearson Flyer. This one looks particularly loved. As an optical scientist, though, the beam is bending the wrong way thru the prism.

Enjoy every minute of this boat!

ed

Fire Away!

What do you have in it for an engine? I had one of those beasties for about 13 or 14 years. It is now on its 4th owner still sailing on Lake Michigan. We took the original one cylinder BMW out of it and replaced it with a used 2 cylinder Yanmar.

We had to do the same thing. It has a 15 hp yanmar 2 cylinder - got rid of the old 7.5 hp BMW that burned up after a few trips under the Blue Water Bridge to get to the start line for the Port Huron to Mac. There was another Flyer here in Saginaw Bay some years ago named Flyin' High - they replaced the engine also after a trip home from Putin Bay, OH. Those little motors (the same one was in many S2 7.9 inboard models) were too small for a Flyer.

Ive always liked the Pearson Flyer. This one looks particularly loved. As an optical scientist, though, the beam is bending the wrong way thru the prism.

Enjoy every minute of this boat!

ed

I know - it's a "stylized" interpretation.

Fire Away!

We had to do the same thing. It has a 15 hp yanmar 2 cylinder - got rid of the old 7.5 hp BMW that burned up after a few trips under the Blue Water Bridge to get to the start line for the Port Huron to Mac. There was another Flyer here in Saginaw Bay some years ago named Flyin' High - they replaced the engine also after a trip home from Putin Bay, OH. Those little motors (the same one was in many S2 7.9 inboard models) were too small for a Flyer.

We started having problems with ours in the 2nd year we had the boat. Wouldn't start in cold weather, reverse was a something thing.

Guy in Milwaukee who had one ut a 3cyl, 27.5hp Yanmar in his. A bit too much I thought.

Did you know that those BMW engines started out life as Hatz air-cooled diesels. BMW licensed them from Hatz and grafted water passages onto them. Really strange.

I was lucky enough to sail against two of these last season. Solid boats with great rigs. While ugly there are still 3 available in Ontario for under 10g's. There is one in seemingly good condition where the owner will take 7G or trade for a RIB with outboard.

If you very serious about getting into racing with a 30ft boat, I'd say it would be a great choice.

Some pics of Fat Bottom Girl, last one is me on the bow for Southern Bay Race week out of Hampton Yacht Club.

2h71hc2.jpg

2m2ff4k.jpg

10n9mv7.png