• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team Alinghi

You would have to think he would be tempted, the AC62 is close to one design other than the foils, and this is one area where Switzerland has some real expertise. His Extreme40 team has been dominant this year, and it is not going to be that expensive (for him) to put together a competitive team. Surely he would consider it.

I wouldn't mind EB back in the game. He is worthy of a spot if he so chooses. Would certainly spice things up.

But can he join? What does the protocol say about challenger entry requirements? Primarily location of their yacht club? ;)

WetHog

I wouldn't mind EB back in the game. He is worthy of a spot if he so chooses. Would certainly spice things up.

But can he join? What does the protocol say about challenger entry requirements? Primarily location of their yacht club? ;)

WetHog

If the "Yacht Club de France", located in Paris, is a suitably located challenger so is SNG today as it was a decade ago.

Apart from which, there are a few 100 cash-strapped coastal clubs that would be happy to act as a challenger vehicle, just like GGYC did for Larry.

I'll be amazed if "Alinghi" challenges while LE is defender. Just how much ritual humiliation do you think a $B wants to put up with?

WetHog

I believe that precedent has been set, since they obviously competed in 2003, 2007 and 2010? But I'm no lawyer...

I agree that it would be great to have Alinghi back in the game - and what a show-down it could be!

The comment about if EB can join because his yacht club is on a lake was a joke, but feel free to take what I said and run with it where you will.

An Alinghi entry would be good on a number of levels. Primarily a juicy plot line for TV and especially us on this site.

WetHog

Would be a big asset to have Alinghi back in the game - there are so few serious challengers. And this is just speculative but while Ernie and Larry hate each other - clearly - wouldn't Ernie love to get the cup back off Larry?

Would be a big asset to have Alinghi back in the game - there are so few serious challengers. And this is just speculative but while Ernie and Larry hate each other - clearly - wouldn't Ernie love to get the cup back off Larry?

All he had to do was go buy the OR team.

Piece of piss. Triple all their salaries and they would all move.

There are loads more Kiwi's to fill all the empty holes.

Isn't Alinghi already in this game lol. I would not be surprised if the challenger of record didn't have some Alinghi stickers on the boat.

Like they did last time?

Like they did last time?

No like when Alinghi kicked the shit out of OR in 2003 and again in 2007..wait OR never even made it to the LV final, in 07'. They sucked that bad.

OR would get their face ripped off by EB in a one design.

Let's see who was the Ernesto's team leader in 03 & 07??? and, Jimmy is no Chris Dixon.

What one design? Just some components.

I think your heart is speaking when your mind should be saying stfu.

Let's see who was the Ernesto's team leader in 03 & 07??? and, Jimmy is no Chris Dixon.

What one design? Just some components.

I think your heart is speaking when your mind should be saying stfu.

Shh..... He hasn't figured out yet that his heroes were sold to the highest bidder, which just happened to be Oracle.

Alinghi would destroy OR and I would like to see it.

You said that time and time again with regards to NZ's prospects .

So much for your forecasting abilities :)

Thought they would just take over ETNZ. The NZ public is sick of Dalton whinging. For fucks sake if Dalton was serious he and Barker could pay the entry fee out of chump change. ETNZ would be viable with Butterworth in charge, Coutts and Spithall clearly see that................

Like they did last time?

No like when Alinghi kicked the shit out of OR in 2003 and again in 2007..wait OR never even made it to the LV final, in 07'. They sucked that bad.

Yeah EB can suck on this, biatch:

Fully1.jpg

Nightmare on EB street.

At least EB would love the protocol as if it was of his own making.

Seems like he would approve.

Koukel

Like they did last time?

Yeah EB can suck on this, biatch:

Fully1.jpg

Nightmare on EB street.

Did you take that picture? That's one of the best ones.

I wonder how long it would take to get her ready to defend a cup race?

Koukel

No like when Alinghi kicked the shit out of OR in 2003 and again in 2007..

And exactly what is left of that Alinghi? Do you think the old gang would ride back into town in like some Hollywood western sequel?

It is kind of ironic that the current Alinghi team has more Americans than Oracle (Larson+Tunnicliffe).

Actually that's not true . OR has 2.5 at ths time if you count Jimmy as the half :)

The way Jimmy is behaving recently... He is more American than Aussie... So OR had 2.99

Call me crazy, but EB and ButterNutz have zero credibility to comment on the AC35 protocol.

And 86% of Kiwis asked said ETNZ should boycott AC35? Guess DB crying at the wheel will be the last Kiwi memory in the AC for a long time. To bad.

WetHog

It could be said that the ability to write a cheque for $100M lends EB's views on the protocol some credibility.

However AC34 was a fair protocol, yet he did not participate. I very much doubt he will while Oracle remains defender. It appears he demonstrated interest when it appears ETNZ would win. There is also the fact that all that remains of Alinghi is EB's money.

It could be said that the ability to write a cheque for $100M lends EB's views on the protocol some credibility.

However AC34 was a fair protocol, yet he did not participate. I very much doubt he will while Oracle remains defender. It appears he demonstrated interest when it appears ETNZ would win. There is also the fact that all that remains of Alinghi is EB's money.

My comment about credibility centers around EBs notorious AC33 protocol and CNEV. One crook commenting about another.

And I am disappointed Alinghi will not participate. Would of really made AC35 must see TV. A soap opera for us AC crazies.

It is funny that Alinghi was interested to try the AC again if ETNZ won considering EB stole the "Tight Five" then took the Cup. Oh how times change.

WetHog

Alinghi would not have a chance to win. Most of the good sailors and designers are signed up by the Australians, OR, ETNZ or Artemis. Where would they get the people from? I mean when they were in and winning they just went in and bought a whole winning team including designers, sailors, managers and added a few selected people from other teams to top it up.

Today it would be difficult to buy a full winning team in a way they did the last time as most people are already signed up by others.

The " one designish" concept would however help them but it would not be enough.

The way Jimmy is behaving recently... He is more American than Aussie... So OR had 2.99

The way the old rules were written back in the day JS has the 'residency' clause well covered, he has been living in SD since before 33 IIRC.

You're fucking joking right? Who you spawn with does not determine nationality.

I know this is going to make your little brain hurt but yes, who you marry can determine your nationality.

Jimmy probably has a green card being married to an American. Probably doesn't have citizenship yet. That takes forever. Back to Alinghi. I know we won't see them back for the next AC. With that said, Ernesto has his Extreme team and there's some serious talent in that series not signed... He could put together a strong challenge without cherry picking the well known talent already associated with an AC team.....

Jimmy probably has a green card being married to an American. Probably doesn't have citizenship yet. That takes forever. Back to Alinghi. I know we won't see them back for the next AC. With that said, Ernesto has his Extreme team and there's some serious talent in that series not signed... He could put together a strong challenge without cherry picking the well known talent already associated with an AC team.....

Jimmy has been a dual citizen for years.

Depending on how long he's been married, i call bullshit. My wife is European, her green card came fairly quickly but over 10 years for citizenship. Aussies are not Irish or Mexicans or a hand full of other nationalities that have a lottery as far as i know. He doesn't possess a skill unknown to Americans to gain sponsorship. The only thing left if Uncle Larry unleashed a shit ton of lawyers to hurry the process up, which would be stupid as (I cant imagine) he doesn't have a green card and OTUSA doesn't give a shit about nationality rules, so why? If he told you so, i call bullshit on him.....

I think JS does have the option open to him, through whatever it is that would qualify, because he was asked about taking a US Passport recently and he responded something like (laughing) 'Yes, I may, Larry can be persuasive.'

His kids can't be more than about five, his marriage to his San Diegan wife probably not much longer, but his 'official' residency could go quite a way back.

I know this is going to make your little brain hurt but yes, who you marry can determine your nationality.

Piss off injun, he's not an American helmsman-- everyone knows that in their heart. What a bunch of sluts you all are.

Another kick to his cunt would be fun.

If it eventuated (which I doubt I will), you just might find that EB would also get substantial input from TNZ and PRA.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

The best parts of Alinghi are wearing Oracle colors these days.

Depending on how long he's been married, i call bullshit. My wife is European, her green card came fairly quickly but over 10 years for citizenship. Aussies are not Irish or Mexicans or a hand full of other nationalities that have a lottery as far as i know. He doesn't possess a skill unknown to Americans to gain sponsorship. The only thing left if Uncle Larry unleashed a shit ton of lawyers to hurry the process up, which would be stupid as (I cant imagine) he doesn't have a green card and OTUSA doesn't give a shit about nationality rules, so why? If he told you so, i call bullshit on him.....

That little bit in bold shows a clear mis-understanding of citizenship process, the power of a company like Oracle....and of the skill that Jimmy possesses. That's like saying Werner VonBraun was just one of thousands who knew how to design a rocket.

SNG still hosts regatta's on ocean waters to be eligible again at some point. For the past couple of years they used to organize the tune-up regatta prior to the 8mr Worldcup.

so alinghi can be back it they want...

Team Alinghi won the Overall Extreme Race Series this year over the weekend. I don't know why they're not challenging for the 35 AC because THEY SHOULD.

Alinghi might have more Americans aboard than the American boat.

Team Alinghi won the Overall Extreme Race Series this year over the weekend. I don't know why they're not challenging for the 35 AC because THEY SHOULD.

Alinghi might have more Americans aboard than the American boat.

It's funny, an American helmed Alinghi when they won AC 32. How interesting that Kiwi's (with Aussie and Brit help) perfected the art of a hostile takeover of the Cup using American money. Clever bastards.

What's even funnier is who it turned out was the vector for the disease that turned Bertarelli from a very smart guy into a moron...it took him far less time to infect Larry than it did for him to infect Ernesto, and now Larry is the broken one, and his Club will be known for its betrayal forever.

Long live RC!

RC sales pitch to billionaires seems pretty simple: spend to get the cup, find 2 YCs in order to totally control the AC and get your money back and more thanks to land deals + commercialization of the cup, you will become the Bernie Ecclestone of sailing.

Still remains to be demonstrated though...

Where is butterballs by the way?

I figured a team would have picked him up by now.

why?

Want value does he add - apart from increase the food bill.

Where is butterballs by the way?

I figured a team would have picked him up by now.

the buzz from a few teams - both VOR and AC - is that he has priced himself out of the market. Still thinking in 2005 numbers, but the world doesn't work that way anymore.

Who are they buying?

TIME FOR A DOG CHALLENGE FROM EB? OH WOULD REVENGE BE SWEET.

Everyone will have learned the lessons of 1988 and 2010 - that procrastination can get you DoG-challenged, so I doubt the winner of AC35 will be that exposed. ETNZ will already have LR's undated challenge in the back pocket halfway through the final race, with the commodore of RNZYC safely sequestered away in a heavily-guarded hotel with orders to shoot anyone who looks remotely like an employee of GGYC or any of the other challenging YC's :lol:

And how would this be any worse than the EB and LE years? At least there would be Italian chaos delivered with flair and style... 8)

EB was in a much more recent video than the one posted by iirc dogwatch, wherein he spoke about his love of foiling multihulls, said it was the exactly right direction for the AC.

He also said he would not challenge 'at this time' - presumably because LE kicked him off the stern so hard.

EB was in a much more recent video than the one posted by iirc dogwatch, wherein he spoke about his love of foiling multihulls, said it was the exactly right direction for the AC.

He also said he would not challenge 'at this time' - presumably because LE kicked him off the stern so hard.

EB said he wouldn't challenge until the Cup goes out of OTUSA's hands and I'm taking him at his word.
That is not a commitment, it is a scenario in which a challenge would be possible.

EB said he wouldn't challenge until the Cup goes out of OTUSA's hands and I'm taking him at his word.
That is not a commitment, it is a scenario in which a challenge would be possible.

This is a Commitment! The sole Reason holding Bertarelli & his Team back is IMO Russell Coutts & Larry Ellison. Ernesto can't stand both of them.

Given that Team Alinghi has been very successful in the GC 32 & the Extreme Racing Series it's a no-brainer he would challenge if the Challenger who wins it commits to another Round of Flying Wingsail Cats. Ernesto seems to have a lot of fun in foiling.

EB might reverse it should the AC go back to monohulls though.

I'm pretty sure the Oracle / Alinghi camps don't send each other Christmas Cards.

EB was pretty up there with shaping the rules to his benefit (as most holders try to some extent), which drew Larry's D.o.G. Challenge in the first place.

It's like Heavyweight Boxing, the playing fields never flat, you've got to be substantially better than the incumbent to win the belt and most of the rule setters have the integrity of Don King...

This is a Commitment! The sole Reason holding Bertarelli & his Team back is IMO Russell Coutts & Larry Ellison. Ernesto can't stand both of them.

Given that Team Alinghi has been very successful in the GC 32 & the Extreme Racing Series it's a no-brainer he would challenge if the Challenger who wins it commits to another Round of Flying Wingsail Cats. Ernesto seems to have a lot of fun in foiling.

EB might reverse it should the AC go back to monohulls though.

I'm pretty sure the Oracle / Alinghi camps don't send each other Christmas Cards.

EB was pretty up there with shaping the rules to his benefit (as most holders try to some extent), which drew Larry's D.o.G. Challenge in the first place.

It's like Heavyweight Boxing, the playing fields never flat, you've got to be substantially better than the incumbent to win the belt and most of the rule setters have the integrity of Don King...

What..you mean he tried to have an AC where the defender was allowed two boats whilst the challenger only got one, and the defender was included in the LV challenger trials...say it ain't so...

+1 ^ This is Trump's OTUSA - it is only wrong when someone else does it. I was rooting for OTUSA in AC33. It has proven to be the same difference.