• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torsten

FIFA World Cup

Well the World Cup is almost here. Judging by the lack of threads on it already, I'm assuming the media's portrayal of minimal following in the US is correct!

Anyone else get into it on here?

Not the easiest group for the Oranje but you should get through I reckon.

I'll be going for my native England and a casual following of Straya to keep the missus happy, although I really can't see us getting many points in that group, esp with such a young side.

When the world cup in Brazil turns out to be an epic disaster due to complete and total incompetency on the part of the Brazilian gov't and planning commission - I wonder if the IOC will get worried. Is it too late to change the location for 2016?

What a SHITHOLE that place has turned out to be.....

Unless the country turns into a riot zone, should be great. The Ivory Coast should do well. Will be fun to cheer them on.

When the world cup in Brazil turns out to be an epic disaster due to complete and total incompetency on the part of the Brazilian gov't and planning commission - I wonder if the IOC will get worried. Is it too late to change the location for 2016?

What a SHITHOLE that place has turned out to be.has the corrupt leftist government turned that otherwise enjoyable place....

;) as a brazilian national citizen i resented the original form so i made a slight alteration. hope you don't mind.

What a SHITHOLE that place has turned out to be.....

do you do hits from the 24/7 news bong to come up with this?

Well the first game has certainly brought a surprise, 1st goal scored by a Brazillian, but at the wrong end! Looking at how the draw is likely to pan out I reckon the most likely final will be Brazil v Argentina or Spain with Argentina winning if they get past Spain in the semi. If Australia get 1 point out of Group B then they've done very well.

Once again, game decided by ref's. How much did he earn with that call?? FIFA's soo crooked, gotta let home team win opener!

And what a bunch of cry babies on Brazil. Flops all over the place, then waaa waaa waaa!

Think I'll skip most of this crap! Looks like Ice Dancing judges!

Sure that penalty was soft but the other goals were clean and I think the better team won. You got to admire the ball control and skill of these guys. Yeah I know they go down too easily and there are serious questions as to how the sport is administered at the pointy end but the drama on the pitch and passion of the fans is second to none. That what makes it "The Beautiful Game". I'll take it any day over the reality game show crap we're served up these days.

Once again, game decided by ref's. How much did he earn with that call?? FIFA's soo crooked, gotta let home team win opener!

And what a bunch of cry babies on Brazil. Flops all over the place, then waaa waaa waaa!

Yes exactly,

This is usually the only soccer I ever watch, but I always get very tired of the fake injuries, the potential paid-for refs, great tourney, but badly stained over the years....

I very much like the Croatian coaches response when asked about the foul,

If that’s how we start the World Cup, we’d better give it up now and go home. We talk about respect, that wasn’t respect, Croatia didn’t get any. If that's a penalty, we don't need to play football anymore. Let's play basketball instead. It's a shame.

MS

Thought the Croats played well and the scoreline flattered the hosts. Clearly wasn't a penalty but having a relatively inexperienced ref run the first game probably didn't help, with the whole world watching the first game you want someone who won't bow to the pressure of a stadium screaming at him.

Had a punt on Brazil to lift the Cup and Neymar for Golden Boot so off to a good start!

Just miss all the crap, it saves time :P

Netherlands been getting some calls against them, but most legit. Spain ahead by a goal right now.

Netherlands been getting some calls against them, but most legit. Spain ahead by a goal right now.

Best soccer so far. Gorgeous passing-- soft touches, through balls and cross field. Spain looked dominant until that amazing header by the dutchman. Great stuff.

Wow!! Who could've forseen that magical 2nd half by the Dutch. The Dutch have done much more than they needed to do to avoid Brazil in the 2nd Round. Spain have got a lot of work to do now.

Wow. I was in Spain for the 2010 Championship. It was a boring, bland game. Of course, I didn't sleep for 24 hours after they won. . . .

What a game. How the hell did Spain just fold? The Dutch dismantled them. First half Spain was playing gorgeous passing soccer, and in the second half they were a punching bag.

Dutch looked fantastic.

The England team visited a Brazilian orphanage today.

"It was so sad to see those unhappy faces with no hope" --Jose, aged 6.

Now that's just farkin' funny right there. :)

Strong work by the Dutch. RvP's header was brilliant.

Seems the refs have heard the wake up call. ((knocks on wood)). Columbia looked good against Greece. Should be a great game with England vs. Italy this evening.

Sums it up in one :P

How many days till they're back on the plane?

Delayed flight means I missed tonight's US Ghana game but my kids filled me in. Talk about shocking!

It was a great game. I loved Dempsey's goal 90 seconds in. After that, Ghana out-played the U.S.. Until the 86th minute! A proper win for the U.S.

Well the World Cup is almost here. Judging by the lack of threads on it already, I'm assuming the media's portrayal of minimal following in the US is correct!

Anyone else get into it on here?

While Australians have purchased the most tickets per capita, the US has purchased the most tickets of any visiting country. (Australia number 2). Plenty of futbol fans in the US. DVR is set up in my house and a group of college kids gathered there last night for the US/Ghana game.

Delayed flight means I missed tonight's US Ghana game but my kids filled me in. Talk about shocking!

It was a great game. I loved Dempsey's goal 90 seconds in. After that, Ghana out-played the U.S.. Until the 86th minute! A proper win for the U.S.

Actually 32 seconds in. Watched some of it this morning off the DVR. I need to remember to log out of Facebook or people will ruin trying to watch it on the DVR.

MS

That game almost made me faint.

Dempsey's first goal literally made me fall down. Then 80 minutes of terribleness. Then 10 minutes of holy shit.

Football????? WTF? I didn't think football season started until the fall. Are these like exhibition games or something?

10376831_796775713680086_804670656201024

ahhh, there is a reason to watch futbol................

None of em are wearing shin guards... what kind of monster takes away shin guards..... Flopping will be rampent with this lott...

None of em are wearing shin guards... what kind of monster takes away shin guards..... Flopping will be rampent with this lott...

Wait for one to receive a pass with the chest.

Just watched the end of the ESP-CHI match, and I'm pretty sure that the result guarantees that Spain has been eliminated from this edition of the WC. Now, I don't pay too much attention to international football, but wasn't Spain meant to be really good? I guess this is what they mean when they say "anything can happen at the world cup"...

EDIT: And looking at the statistics after the same it would seem to me that Spain should have dominated that game...

Just watched the end of the ESP-CHI match, and I'm pretty sure that the result guarantees that Spain has been eliminated from this edition of the WC. Now, I don't pay too much attention to international football, but wasn't Spain meant to be really good? I guess this is what they mean when they say "anything can happen at the world cup"...

EDIT: And looking at the statistics after the same it would seem to me that Spain should have dominated that game...

I watched the game. statistics be damned Chile outplayed Spain. Spain always holds onto the ball with their tika taka style. Chile had some good chances second half but with the 2-0 lead they were defending first and second and attacking third so the stats favored Spain even more than they would have otherwise. Shots on goal was only 6-4 in Spain's favor and a few of those were very routine saves.

Shocking to see Spain eliminated so soon after scoring only one goal when it mattered.

The Dutch humiliated the Spanish and hope we can do it again with the Aussies!

What an unbelievable game & an awesome goal by Cahill. Tell you what, we gave you Dutchies a run for your money and no doubt quite a scare. And now I wake up to hear Chile beat Spain and Spain are out! WTF!!!

I think the tackles will be going in higher than their shins ;)

Great game by Straya, showed lots of balls and took it to the Dutch. Didn't quite get the result but certainly didn't embarrass ourselves.

Seemed to lack finishing skills and wasted too many chances trying to get into the perfect position. Asia Cup looks promising though.

Looking forward to England game tonight

Great game by Straya, showed lots of balls and took it to the Dutch. Didn't quite get the result but certainly didn't embarrass ourselves.

Seemed to lack finishing skills and wasted too many chances trying to get into the perfect position. Asia Cup looks promising though.

Looking forward to England game tonight

Hup!

Holland!

Hup!

That said, Aussies played solid. It's too bad they're going home, they deserve better. Would be interesting to see them beat Spain.

I'm trying to get my son to watch it, he's interested in acting.

If I want to spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of skinny guys trying desperately to score, I'll just go to the bar...

Winner!!

If I want to spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of skinny guys trying desperately to score, I'll just go to the bar...

Winner!!

Phfffft.... Philistines

Now where did I put that Ghanaian Witch Doctors phone number?

Fuck you Suarez! Well, fuck. Uruguayans played well, sat deep and slowed the game down which took the pace out of us. Suarez always a danger even playing so detached from his team. Nice of Gerrard to set him up. Glad Rooney finally got on the score sheet but that may well be it now, unless Italy beat CR and Uru and we put a few past CR....

Fuck you Suarez! Well, fuck. Uruguayans played well, sat deep and slowed the game down which took the pace out of us. Suarez always a danger even playing so detached from his team. Nice of Gerrard to set him up. Glad Rooney finally got on the score sheet but that may well be it now, unless Italy beat CR and Uru and we put a few past CR....

Here's a good summary of what has to happen: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/were-telling-england-theres-a-chance/

Luis "The Donkey" Suarez has sent the lads back to Blighty.

Certainly the best cannibal in the game today :mellow:

Thank fuck for that, sick of hearing about it, especially all the excuses.

Luis "The Donkey" Suarez has sent the lads back to Blighty.

Certainly the best cannibal in the game today :mellow:

He had to hurry home right after the match, he had a friend over for dinner.