rogerball0

Westerly Anarchy

"Quarantine"???? Where the hell did you raid those signs from?

It was a roll of tape that came in a parcel of supplies i bought off ebay, nothing dodgy, i think it was paint mixing cups iirc, its good for messing with peoples heads though - start plastering that around the place and people leave you alone real quick!

You seem to have licked the puckered corner issue.

That sounds vaguely dirty.

Unlike Mr. Balls shop, which appears to be obnoxiously surgically clean.

You seem to have licked the puckered corner issue. Beautiful.

Yeah over the worst of it now, the second roll of silvercarbons been delivered as i sit here scoffing lunch so will get the fourth frame in the bag today.

(Favour) I know you're a busy bloke but is there any chance - seeing as Jim is a boatbuilding Jedi - you could you ask him the best way of cutting and finishing the edges of Kevlar? If he recommends a certain type of tool or blade, any help appreciated.

Cheers

Third one done:

WP_20150722_12_30_57_Pro.jpg

One to go (that messed up):

WP_20150722_12_34_01_Rich.jpg

I think cutting kevlar is just shit, there isn't a way around it. Before laminating, a set of very good shears is the least worst way we found

I think cutting kevlar is just shit, there isn't a way around it. Before laminating, a set of very good shears is the least worst way we found

Really? Aw fuck i was hoping for some kind of blade or cutter recommendation as i have a couple of things i want to make with the stuff, just cant get a clean finish to the edges and thats on 100g as well as 300 and 450g - its an absolute fucka.

You seem to have licked the puckered corner issue.

That sounds vaguely dirty.

Unlike Mr. Balls shop, which appears to be obnoxiously surgically clean.

The shops a bit of a mess as i started cutting the slots into the 44 year old strakes tonight - felt sick doing this because the strakes are pretty perfect and ended with me taking a router to the side of the hull / deck join and now dont feel so clever, it looks agricultural, and all this because iwanted to move the shroud attachment point from the deck to the side of the hull, which i now know wasn't the cleverest thing to do.

and i had such a cool day with the windows and keel crisping.

Roger: Why not give a little taper to the plate?

It won't take much. My ye tells me it's about 5" wide at the top so why not make it 4" wide at the bottom. Give it some finesse in keeping with your other details. You could even start the taper below the rub strip.

Are you going to bend one tab to align with the d1's? If not I would eliminate that notch. It looks "fiddly" to me.

Bob: I was thinking similar whilst transferring the photos from phone to pc, That shape and spec above in the photo is taken directly from Eric's Drawings: 9.5" long 4" wide 3/8" deep.

Again your keen eye strikes again as the metal equivalents will have the forward-facing tab bent to align the inners from the spreader but as the template was more for cutting the slot into the strake didn't sweat all the details, will have a play with some ply tomorrow and make a few patterns, thinking about the letter 'W' for the shape.

Roger: My inclination would be to not get too elaborate on the shape. Don;t try to make it a focal point. But some subtle shaping of the plate can add some elegance to a piece of the boat that is usually clunky looking.

I'm not familiar with the construction of the Centaur (but I've learned a lot from this!)

Why are you moving the chainplates to the hull?

Is the original location inherently weak? Leaky? Causes a ridiculous loss of stowage space?

I realize the Centaur probably doesn't point very high to begin with, but how is this going to affect your windward performance?

I'm not familiar with the construction of the Centaur (but I've learned a lot from this!)

Why are you moving the chainplates to the hull?

Is the original location inherently weak? Leaky? Causes a ridiculous loss of stowage space?

I realize the Centaur probably doesn't point very high to begin with, but how is this going to affect your windward performance?

Roger has had Eric Sponberg redesign the rig. Here's what Sponberg says of the new rig:

The more elliptical planform of the main will improve performance of the boat because of, first, the additional sail area, and second, change in planform to a more elliptical shape. A more elliptical planform leads to a more elliptical lift distribution which in turn results in lower induced drag for the rig. With less drag, there is more power available to make the boat sail faster and point higher in lighter air.

This is Roger's initial plan

post-51350-0-58033400-1437744781_thumb.png

Holy shit, that's fascinating. Amazing, in fact.

Roger reminds me of David Attenborough, in Jurassic Park when he keeps saying "I've spared no expense".

Bob: Just woke up with an idea one day about getting more sail onto the old platform, plus i'd rather break this mast than a new one so the idea is to retro a few bits onto it via Dwyer masts onto the old et voila a swept back rig with a bigger main on the same stick. Not really about going faster (square of the WL and all that) no its more about getting it off the line in light airs, as these boats are 'solidly built' in my experience anything under F3 and your pissing about abit really so its more to get her moving a bit in light airs.

Ajax: Na I've spared every expense, Jesus the last few years i've had (financially speaking) i'm amazed i've got as far as i have (tax investigations, long periods of unemployment)

The above picture was an impression what i wanted the engineering to achieve so the sailplan will be a bit different, thats a mini transac rig i superimposed over the centaurs illustration, still i like the idea of a bow sprit but probably not that long though..................oh yeah and theres no backstay either now, good eh Bob?

Eric Sponberg? Words fail me.

you guys are only jest getting the measure of the Englishman who started this thread and is doing this amazing job

he is one astonishing bloke

and some of his snaps of the build are damned near art

WP_000685.jpg

WP_000601.jpg

I am very, very proud of the lad

Roger, I just read this thread. The project is amazing, and the work you're doing is fantastic to see. Thanks to you, I have yet another thread to follow on a regular basis.

Regarding the problems with the hull-to-keel joint on Westerlys, could it have something to do with the sheer(?) forces that must come into play when they rest on the bottom?

Eric Sponberg? Words fail me.

you guys are only jest getting the measure of the Englishman who started this thread and is doing this amazing job

he is one astonishing bloke

and some of his snaps of the build are damned near art

I am very, very proud of the lad

Yes, Roger is a star. And his boat is going to be something very very special :)

Tax investigations? Are you Greek? (I kid, I kid)

Bob: Just woke up with an idea one day about getting more sail onto the old platform, plus i'd rather break this mast than a new one so the idea is to retro a few bits onto it via Dwyer masts onto the old et voila a swept back rig with a bigger main on the same stick. Not really about going faster (square of the WL and all that) no its more about getting it off the line in light airs, as these boats are 'solidly built' in my experience anything under F3 and your pissing about abit really so its more to get her moving a bit in light airs.

Ajax: Na I've spared every expense, Jesus the last few years i've had (financially speaking) i'm amazed i've got as far as i have (tax investigations, long periods of unemployment)

The above picture was an impression what i wanted the engineering to achieve so the sailplan will be a bit different, thats a mini transac rig i superimposed over the centaurs illustration, still i like the idea of a bow sprit but probably not that long though..................oh yeah and theres no backstay either now, good eh Bob?

Roger, I suggest you find yourself a good deal on a feathering/folding prop. It'll help a lot in light air and is dead simple to implement. Sometimes Purchase Order engineering is the advisable course of action.

I'm a bit confused about the emphasis on light air sailing. This sounds like a Chesapeake boat.

I thought there was an over abundance of wind in the UK?

Roger, I just read this thread. The project is amazing, and the work you're doing is fantastic to see. Thanks to you, I have yet another thread to follow on a regular basis.

Regarding the problems with the hull-to-keel joint on Westerlys, could it have something to do with the sheer(?) forces that must come into play when they rest on the bottom?

I think shear was a major factor as the keels (roots) stubs were quite insubstantial and almost vertical in angles on the inboard side creating a rather rhum look of two angles where the keels met the stub, this was changed on later boats by widening the keel stubs inboard side so the keel appeared as one angle therefore allieviated any problems, in fairness to Westerly' they honoured every boat that was affected and also added transverse webs in the keel stub to mitigate torsional problems too.

Bit odd looking

Keel%252520%252528285%252529.jpg

So i filled out the inboard side of the stub internally and externally and got this:

Keel%252520%252528289%252529.jpg

Which mimics the later boats re-design:

centaurkeel.JPG

Also the keels shape changed too, my starboard keel (early 1971 boat):

Keel%252520%252528521%252529.jpg

Late 1978 boat:

PIC60003.jpg

cheers

Roger, I suggest you find yourself a good deal on a feathering/folding prop. It'll help a lot in light air and is dead simple to implement. Sometimes Purchase Order engineering is the advisable course of action.

Yep that as well as flush-fitting (shakewell) seacocks - i like a smooth bottom!

I'm a bit confused about the emphasis on light air sailing. This sounds like a Chesapeake boat.

More an over adundance of rain but yeah there is plenty of breeze about but for those days when there isn't i can still get a couple of knots out of her rather than what we used to do back in the day which was go backwards at 1 knot with the sails flapping nagging the old man to fire the engine up.

The other thought too is these boats were generally considered under canvassed, one theory i heard was that if you stepped the rig of the next boat up in the range on the boat below would give you a more lively- faster performer, but dont think i'm crazy, oh no we English do some proper weird stuff especially with old Westerly' - how about this:

The%252520Keel%2525282%252529.jpg

This is the next size boat up from mine called the Westerly Berwick, (a 31ft Centaur) the guy binned the bilge keels and got a Warwick-collins tandem keel designed, made and fitted.

Keel2%2525282%252529.jpg

The%252520Keel.jpg

And you think i'm off the wall, what's not to like?

:D those Tandem keels had a fair bit of press in the UK in the mid 80's. Did he leave those vestigial stumps of the bilge keels in case he wanted to revert to the original bilge keels? There's as much surface area, if not more in that Tandem keel, as two bilge keels. Has anyone actually reported an increase in lift from a Tandem keel due to the forward foil acting like a jib to a main?

Edit: the keel designer also claimed that the delta wing would reduce pitching.

Yeah Sadlers were the yard i remember offering them as option on their boats, you're right though, like big hair and shoulder pads they were all the rage in the 80's:

p02l8ptj.jpg

WHL- I see a stub in the 2nd photo. Yeesh!

The windshield works pretty well with the rather tubby lines of the Westerly. It would probably be a very nice addition in British waters, particularly with a dodger top of some sort,

Yeah Sadlers were the yard i remember offering them as option on their boats, you're right though, like big hair and shoulder pads they were all the rage in the 80's:

p02l8ptj.jpg

Typical British understatement - you call THAT big hair & shoulder pads?

This is big hair & shoulder pads.

post-95343-0-37110000-1437766515_thumb.jpg

Sloop, those tandem units have lots of lift :D

p02l8ptj.jpg

Typical British understatement - you call THAT big hair & shoulder pads?

This is big hair & shoulder pads.

attachicon.gifBig hair.jpg

Canada 1 : United Kingdom 0

I'm so glad those days are over. Even as a teen/young adult it was easy to recognize how bad the fashion and music of the era were.

I was going to make a ridiculous post about 2 hours ago regarding the twin keel problem: did anyone ever consider a retractable strut positioned at the bottom of the boat, to take some of the strain off the keels when grounded or on the hard, but I thought it was too ridiculous. Then I saw the "modification" in post #227.

I have the greatest respect for Roger and his ability to hand craft beautiful details. I really enjoy watching his progress and that's the only reason I add my suggestions. I have much less respect for the skills of Eric Sponberg. Name one successful Eric Sponberg design. Take your time.

Bob: It wasn't a popularity contest i wanted winning but an engineered solution to a problem that required solving.

All i know is after asking several people from my YPD days at Southampton what i wanted to do (originally the rig was to be freestanding but ruled out on grounds of cost) Eric's name was repeatedly mentioned as the go-to guy based on his engineering expertise in the field of free-standing masts / rig design this was further reinforced by several over on boatdesign.net and well..................................that was good enough for me mate.

I dont profess to know Eric well but we got on great - he did everything i asked of him, (IMO) the guys a genius, and as a previous client of his i wouldn't hesitate in recommending him, FWIW i really like his designs as much as i do yours but for completely different reasons of course.

At the expense of sounding incredibly dull i have nothing but deference for the likes of yourself & Eric, a fact borne out by my own (failed) experiences to make the grade in your line of work.

Different stokes for different folks..................................................................................

We'll just have to agree to strongly disagree on that one. But I'll still enjoy watching your project. It's fun. I'll just keep my mouth shut now.

I would rather say that you can get 4 seasons within a few hours.

It is not totally unheard of to go from 2 reefs to drifting within 12 or even 6 hours. Light winds are very common during the summer, last week I did a return trip St Malo - Weymouth and on the way back true wind never exceeded 15 knots and most of the time was between 0 and 10 and we were trying to maximise power, a westerly Centaur would have crossed mostly under power. That's what weather forecaster call "variable". On the way up, it varied between 5 and 25 true wind.

That's in the South, up North it might be different.

I have the greatest respect for Roger and his ability to hand craft beautiful details. I really enjoy watching his progress and that's the only reason I add my suggestions. I have much less respect for the skills of Eric Sponberg. Name one successful Eric Sponberg design. Take your time.

Sponberg hasn't exactly been prolific and most of his designs look rather ugly to my eye, but his Project Amazon was a very interesting boat. The project failed through lack of funds, and maybe also had deeper flaws ... but I'm very glad that someone tried such an interesting concept.

All i'll say is, is if the rig goes over the side then i'll have to re-think a couple of things.

Bob: i appreciate your candour, dont go changing! :)

Right i 've got to get back to the boat shed as its sprung a major leak, walked into the shop last night to start UV coating the frames only to be confronted by water cascading down the shop walls with a nice big puddle in the middle of the floor so will have to bodge something for now until the new tarp turns up.

Went up on the roof this morning and theres nothing immediately obvious, experience has taught me not to waste time looking just to sling another tarp over.

A little further along,..................the road to keel crispyness,

This:

WP_000681.jpg

plus one of these on each keel (3mm solid glass/epoxy plate filleted with cabosil'd wests):

WP_20150817_16_42_26_Pro.jpg

equals crispy goodness:

WP_20150819_21_18_43_Pro.jpg

Hit them both with fairing battens and 410 today, more scupture to fill out the rear 'extension' so as not to look quite as rum as before, however all this has got me thinking bout the rudder and its shape too, can see some optimisations coming to that soon.

Good call Bob!.

Nice Roger. Not sure it can be much better than that.

I think you're right Bob, stopping short of removing them and adding a fin keel.... for a bilge keeler its as good as its gonna get...........almost racy-looking!

Thinking of adding the same skinny glass plate to sort out the line coming off the top rear of the keel up along the hull as it was once a pin sharp line, after the gelpeel all detail was lost and it annoys me, still the insides are coming along, mocking up the cabinets in MDF atm to see what works with the shape of the hull then will transfer it all to oak veneered ply this week.

Had a nightmare with one of the window frames as it decided it no longer wanted to be silver in colour but rather an odd yellowish green, so back in the bag it went for another hit of the silvery stuff, i put it down to me doing the final epoxy coat on it in rather damp humid conditions in the shop, the others are well on their way to a shiny UV finish, i went with Hempels 2K varnish.

WP_20150819_18_51_56_Pro.jpg

Just building the coats up now.

This must be the smoothest-bottomed Centaur ever. Great work :)

This:

WP_000681.jpg

Are you deliberately trying to make the rest of us feel inadequate?

This must be the smoothest-bottomed Centaur ever. Great work :)

This:

WP_000681.jpg

Cheers TL it didn't always look this way, most of the bottom profile was missing for quite some time after the gel peel (worst decision of the whole project IMO, cutting the gel away):

Image029.jpg

and yes the dark shadows around the bottom of each hole is water running out of the keel bolt holes, in hindsight i should've just peeled the keel stubs not the entire hull, ended up cutting most of the stub floor away and built my own out of epoxy and bi-ax cloth:

11042012641.jpg

Are you deliberately trying to make the rest of us feel inadequate?

No Jon.................. honest!

Does it matter if he's trying or not?

Good call EB

Well it's working anyway!

Sorry Alpha!

Un-fucking-believable. Can you imagine this thing in a race against other Centaurs?

It's like the Lexus of Centaurs- The relentless pursuit of perfection.

Un-fucking-believable. Can you imagine this thing in a race against other Centaurs?

In a nutshell Ajax (and without filling myself full of hot air), you're bang on - why not make something perfect? True, it could be seen as borderline mental illness but hey if it keeps the screaming in my head down to a minimum! :D

I don't think there's a history of loonies in my family although i'm reliably informed my two year old nephew Tom points at the moon and remarks "A moon!"

Don't get me wrong, I totally admire what you're doing, but you'll never sail that boat if you let "Perfect be the enemy of Good".

This has nothing to do with pouring too much money into the boat, it has everything to do with using the boat for its intended purpose.

At some point you need to stop the madness and go sailing. For you, I think all the shopwork is therapeutic and there's nothing wrong with that but sailing, exploring the way Dylan does is very therapeutic too as I'm sure you know, from sailing with him.

Hey, I like working on my boat, I like improving things on it. I view it as payback for all the miles she's safely carried me but I love the sailing and the travel, and the companionship of my boat too much for years-long layups.

Don't get me wrong, I totally admire what you're doing, but you'll never sail that boat if you let "Perfect be the enemy of Good".

This has nothing to do with pouring too much money into the boat, it has everything to do with using the boat for its intended purpose.

At some point you need to stop the madness and go sailing. For you, I think all the shopwork is therapeutic and there's nothing wrong with that but sailing, exploring the way Dylan does is very therapeutic too as I'm sure you know, from sailing with him.

Hey, I like working on my boat, I like improving things on it. I view it as payback for all the miles she's safely carried me but I love the sailing and the travel, and the companionship of my boat too much for years-long layups.

No worries Ajax I understand where you're coming from, the madness will end, just wish i had an army of workers to carry on while i'm away earning the money.

Yes; time and money - when i've got one i seldom have the other.

Give me a shout Rog if you need help with rudder blade shape and foil.

Will do Bob.

The first scratch is going to be a bit distressing.

Oh yeah, much like my van, i worshipped it - wouldn't let anyone within 10 foot of it let alone drive it, would spend a full weekend every couple of months washing and mopping the coachwork................then one Saturday morning - not watching what i was doing - pulled into my drive a bit quick and put a 3 foot long dent down the drivers side (courtesy of a hardwood gatepost) from that day on it went back to being a workhorse, it gets washed once a year if i can be bothered.

Dylan tells me he wont take the helm of mine until i've scratched it!

True, it could be seen as borderline mental illness but hey if it keeps the screaming in my head down to a minimum! :D

Sorry to have to say it but there's nuthin' borderline about it. ;)

Good call EB

Well it's working anyway!

Sorry Alpha!

no worries, it's a pleasure watching projects like yours and dreaming about what I could achieve if I had similar inclinations! :P

I couldn't help myself, it was going to happen sooner or later, (the last original part of my Centaur not to have been 'touched' by me now has) its a sickness really but i love my Cengar saw and needed a quick fix:

WP_20150826_14_09_33_Pro.jpg

Got left with this useless piece of glass bracing - WEIRD!

WP_20150826_14_44_23_Pro.jpg

After cutting all the pipes off of it it came free.

WP_20150826_14_57_18_Pro.jpg

Shit............ now what?

WP_20150826_16_37_46_Pro.jpg

What tank was that?

The original water tank that leaked abit, was gonna keep until i shined a maglite inside the inlet..............Sheesh! and to think we'd been drinking out of this since we were kids. So will buy and fit polyprope one with a nice big inspection hatch on the top for maintainance.

I'll assume that red tank is fuel. What's the white tank? An additional water tank? Poop?

I'll assume that red tank is fuel. What's the white tank? An additional water tank? Poop?

Thats the main water tank and fuel then theres another fuel tank behind the engine and another water tank in the forepeak, the idea was to offset the weight of the battery bank to port so i decided to fit the fuel & water tank opposite so each side is around 110kgs but liked the idea of having another fuel tank so kept a small tank in the original position behind the lump. Think its a good idea not just to increase the boats range but also if theres contamination problems i like the idea of opening one valve after shutting another one off and deal with the problem in port.

The small water tank up front i'm currently working on will basically feed the heads and be a secondary via some pipe work to feed the galley if the main one runs down so again a bit more capacity.

Heres where the fuel is behind the engine:

WP_003788.jpg

Sits below the cockpit floor and is accessed via a hatch although you can pull it out if need be, bit involved but possible.

WP_003786.jpg

Hatch access:

WP_003792.jpg

Nice! Top quality work, as usual. I love how they are accessible.

Yeah making things accessible, tanks, pipes, wiring, keelbolts, infact most of the boats structure was very important to me having spent to consecutive summers squeezing my self into spaces to free off fasteners or find out where pipes or wires went so decided i'd make as much of it accessible as possible:

WP_003784.jpg

Wow that cockpit looks like a piece of swiss cheese

Are you certain that the remaining parts have enough structural integrity? :o

Yeah making things accessible, tanks, pipes, wiring, keelbolts, infact most of the boats structure was very important to me having spent to consecutive summers squeezing my self into spaces to free off fasteners or find out where pipes or wires went so decided i'd make as much of it accessible as possible:

WP_003784.jpg

Ain't that the truth. We experienced an issue related to crud int he fuel tank this summer and part of the winter work plan was to remove the fuel tank form the boat to get it cleaned out properly. Turns out the tank was installed, under the cockpit, before the deck was put on, which in itself is not unusual. However, the tank is V-shaped, to conform to the shape of the hull and cannot be removed without being cut. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Wow that cockpit looks like a piece of swiss cheese

Are you certain that the remaining parts have enough structural integrity? :o

Interesting you say swiss cheese as my blog post the week that accompanied that picture was 'the good ship emmental' but yes its all shipshape and bristol fashion underneath, i sectioned the previously open plan engine compartment fore and aft with two 9.5mm panels then bulkheaded / sectioned everything back from there to create the lockers and cubbys that you see, took a fucking age too especially when:

1) the deck is on

2) you're 18 stone / 52" chest &

3) you're fighting gravity glassing in components in spaces you can barely turn round in.

It definately was 'character-building', i think thats the best way of describing it..........................yes character building.

WP_003784.jpg

Ain't that the truth. We experienced an issue related to crud int he fuel tank this summer and part of the winter work plan was to remove the fuel tank form the boat to get it cleaned out properly. Turns out the tank was installed, under the cockpit, before the deck was put on, which in itself is not unusual. However, the tank is V-shaped, to conform to the shape of the hull and cannot be removed without being cut. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I've had that problem above with the water tank, waving air saws all over the place to break it out but the best one was the old mild steel diesel tank behind the engine, it was too big by about a 1/4" on the width to be removed through the cockpit floor hatch so had to wait until the old lump got pulled to remove it, i know theres certain concessions made in the name of production but it seems so many builders dont factor in these things at the design stage.

Got the forepeak framed out with oak and cut and fitted the base tonight, new water tank should be here tomorrow so will take some pics later then i can get on making the top of the berth in the same vain as the settee berth, should look pretty cool when done although one quandary is whether to reinstate the little bulkhead under foredeck to make the chain locker or go with a hawse pipe into my newly - discovered huge locker under the forepeak berth.

Roger:

I have never had a production builder tell me to make the tanks easy to remove. It would compromise too many of the features that sell a boat at the boat show.

" Oh look dear! Isn't it lovely how they made the fuel tank easy to remove. I can't wait to show Margy."

Roger:

I have never had a production builder tell me to make the tanks easy to remove. It would compromise too many of the features that sell a boat at the boat show.

" Oh look dear! Isn't it lovely how they made the fuel tank easy to remove. I can't wait to show Margy."

Thought you'd have a neat solution to this problem Bob, mind you i guess it reflects the type of people buying boats nowadays?

Roger, what the fook have you been up to? Got some pics for us?

Nothing at the moment Bull, sorry mate - currently up country doing silly hours (construction contract) plus no internet where i am on campsite, and my providers coverage literally stops at the front gate - what with that and eating tinned food its a bit of a bummer.

That said i have perfected the microwavable cooked breakfast and i'm drinking like a fish again (boredom) not great but it does generate alot of ideas in my head - i never never knew high strength cider could open the third eye quite so easily - had a couple of genius ones regarding the boats interior.

As soon as i get a break from paid work i'll be back in the shed but for now though while the works there got to keep the money rolling in................................

cheers

...and pays for the boat porn Roger supplies us junkies with.

Hooray - got a week off as i have literally worked myself out of a job, i'm all caught up and way ahead of their program - still three weeks living in the back of the 'fun' bus on tinned food and inter-dimensional strength booze was never healthy long-term.

So these last couple of days i've been in the forepeak carrying on where i left off with usual mix of cutting, grinding, swearing, washing eyes out then sitting and staring at nothing in particular, the main goal is to create some better storage as well as access to the new water tank and leaving it looking highly desirable in my own OCD-ish kinda way.

So far i'm bored stupid trying to get ply panels bigger than the lounge table through the main bulkhead opening and into said cabin - it really is life size ship-in-a-bottle type stuff, needless to say finally figured it out after half a day' staring and drawing all over the forecabin.

Got all the new ply fitted on top of whats left of the glass moulding then marked out where the locker lids will go so thats under control although todays episode of 'boatyard detectives' left me puzzled as to who stuck my boat on the bricks having unearthed a pretty shit repair on the inside of the bow, theres nothing in the boats paperwork - bit of a mystery really. I ground it all back - it didn't look too bad so then twatted it with a hammer to see if it was 'sound' before remembering its below the waterline so externally its now sheathed in epoxy resin, cloth, structural and fairing filler so yes its sound,

Tomorrow i fully intend utilizing my book on stretching i got one particularly guilt-ridden new year along with some other get-yourself-fit books as the last two days working in 5 ft of headroom is taking its toll, still one or two Mr Westons restoratives is easing the pain...........................

So far - A new water tank from Tek Tanks:

WP_20150921_18_06_17_Pro.jpg

Correx template of berth base:

WP_20150921_17_36_33_Pro.jpg

Whats left of the old berth base:

WP_20150922_15_06_09_Pro.jpg

Some bad driving:

WP_20150922_15_07_25_Pro.jpg

Will post the results of the ply in a day or two when i can stand up straight without swearing.

Ciao for now.

The brain-ache goes on...............................

Dry fitting the three separate parts to make the new berth base:

WP_20150924_16_40_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20150924_16_40_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20150924_16_39_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20150924_16_43_12_Pro.jpg

Gonna bond and clamp everything tomorrow, having stood back and looked, it does make a rather more comfortable berth now, also been drawing on the bulkhead as i want to open the access a little more, not too much just enough to make a dignified exit / entrance.

I think this project has now moved into the "art" realm. Roger, this is my favorite thread on all of SA. The work and thought you have put into this shows through in every single picture.

GO THE WESTERLY!

• Like 1

I think this project has now moved into the "art" realm. Roger, this is my favorite thread on all of SA. The work and thought you have put into this shows through in every single picture.

GO THE WESTERLY!

the thing is that

not only can he do the stuff to an incredibly high standard

he can also take images that tell the story of how he does the stuff

he is a crazy bastard. of course

.. but the world of sailing is all the better for him being in it

I just hope that at my age, I live to see it sail.

Cheers VJM glad you're enjoying my project, yes i think the split is almost 50/50 in terms of staring/thinking to actual work, i've learnt these last couple of years the old maxim 'slow down to speed up' admittedly i couldn't go much slower but there was a point in this project as i panicked because of the time & money being spent i would go at things like a bull in a china shop and then having not thought the process through waste a heap of materials & time.

Being naturally impatient its been a lesson hard learned but now i do tend to ruminate more before reaching for a power tool, i now draw it out somewhere on the boat if a sketch pads not close to hand and troubleshoot the process before commiting it to the boat, genuine progress gets made and i'm slowly becoming a bit more 'zen' about the boat and indeed life.

Fairly chuffed with that ply panel as the boats not particularly symmetrical so trying to get all those locker openings to be a mirror image of one another was a bit of a brain ache when the old glassfibre base is off centre by about 30mm, got there though.

cheers for looking in