rogerball0

Westerly Anarchy

Bull, we've all been there :D , a genuine near miss i had happened last year when firing up the gas heater (see minature jet engine) and inadvertently had it trained on a 25 litre drum of acetone, walked back in having made a cup of coffee thinking thats a funny smell then clocked the top of the drum slowly deforming, that could of taken some explaining had it gone up.

I'd like to launch next year, you're more than welcome i will have to see how the time / money thing works out. Current work contract will take me till february next year, as i'm typing its just dawned on me i'll be living in the van through winter - mmm fun times!

Bring your gas heater, just be careful where you point it. :ph34r:

Bull, we've all been there :D , a genuine near miss i had happened last year when firing up the gas heater (see minature jet engine) and inadvertently had it trained on a 25 litre drum of acetone, walked back in having made a cup of coffee thinking thats a funny smell then clocked the top of the drum slowly deforming, that could of taken some explaining had it gone up.

I'd like to launch next year, you're more than welcome i will have to see how the time / money thing works out. Current work contract will take me till february next year, as i'm typing its just dawned on me i'll be living in the van through winter - mmm fun times!

Bring your gas heater, just be careful where you point it. :ph34r:

Not such a problem in the van PY, like (Bob) Dylan i've gone electric - although come to think of it my head rests on the fuel tank of the generator, may have to change that before i go back to work.

Well another days gone by and still haven't gone the ply panel fitted as i've been making locker surrounds all day for each of those openings, thought it'd be a mornings work until i waved a saw near the ply and even with a scribe cut and then cut proper the break-out is incredible - new blade as well so being the highly strung type i decided to veneer the top surface of the locker surrounds as i couldn't stand looking at the crappy ply edge next to the oak capping.

I'll post some pics later

I wish I could just stare at shit for awhile and figure it out. :)

I plot, plan, scheme, and measure 20 times and still get it wrong.

Stay warm in that van, Rog.

Yeah its a skill i've learned over a few years now. i still fuck it up now and again but i know i'm making progress as the amount of waste has gone down dramatically, Talking of the van i've spent the past 20 minutes surfing for a decent sleeping bag, i didn't know they can cost that much? I'll have to do something - the electric heater works reasonable but with a jerry can of petrol in the back with me, a petrol genny and an interior made entirely of ply i dont want to take the chance of it getting very 'warm' all of a sudden. :blink:

A jigsaw puzzle comes together,

Have finished making the locker surrounds and dry-fitting everything, gonna make the locker lids tomorrow and make sure they work then break everything back down, epoxy the backsides of everything to be fitted then, fasten, bed and tab to the boat.

Thought it was gonna go alot quicker than it did but ended up capping and veneering everything such was the dire quality of the ply so took twice as long as planned still should look okay when done.

One of handful of locker surrounds;

WP_20150927_13_12_19_Pro.jpg

Dry-fitting in progress; you can see the 'great' quality along the edge i routed for tabbing - just shite, all this will be veneered over to hide fasteners and quality issues.

WP_20150928_17_40_10_Pro.jpg

Capping and veneering gets tedious after a while but the results make it worthwhile.

WP_20150927_13_12_38_Pro.jpg

Ciao.

Just catching up with the latest. Brilliant stuff as always Roger. This is starting to rival the "Flirt of Paget" thread in terms of dedication to the cause of superior design and craftsmanship.

Cheers mm, is Flirt of Paget finished yet as the thread appears dormant but the boat doesn't look complete, the craftsmanship on that project was pretty incredible as i remember.

Lars switched his coverage of the project to his Instagram account - http://instagram.com/lasseklingstrom

Not sure where the work is at, but she's sailing.

Cheers mm just had a look, gonna have to up my game!

stop it you lads

you guys are like pushers feeding the junkie

sail now and fettle later is my motto

or build a duck punt

this film is 4 minutes

you can see that Roger and I share the same fastidious approach to shed tidiness and good workmanship

this was a one week build

Have finished making the locker surrounds and dry-fitting everything, gonna make the locker lids tomorrow and make sure they work then break everything back down, epoxy the backsides of everything to be fitted then, fasten, bed and tab to the boat.

Thought it was gonna go alot quicker than it did but ended up capping and veneering everything such was the dire quality of the ply so took twice as long as planned still should look okay when done.

Dry-fitting in progress; you can see the 'great' quality along the edge i routed for tabbing - just shite, all this will be veneered over to hide fasteners and quality issues.

Capping and veneering gets tedious after a while but the results make it worthwhile.

Ciao.

God you suck, every time I think I'm making a bit of progress, I come over here and want to go back and redo all my work as it all looks like shit compared to yours.

Weirdly having been happy enough to work away on the boat, I've started to really miss racing, so it's time to trim some corners to actually get the old girl back in the tide. Or maybe I'm making excuses for my poor workmanship compared to yours.

But look at that top picture

his workbench is an absolute pigsty

the man should be ashamed of himself - tools all over the place

bits of tape and glue dotted about

Roger. Roger, Roger

you are allowing your messy side to show now

D

PS - good work

and will the boat weight more after you have done all this

Ciao.

God you suck, every time I think I'm making a bit of progress, I come over here and want to go back and redo all my work as it all looks like shit compared to yours.

Weirdly having been happy enough to work away on the boat, I've started to really miss racing, so it's time to trim some corners to actually get the old girl back in the tide. Or maybe I'm making excuses for my poor workmanship compared to yours.

You crack me up Traz. I'm really not trying to piss anyone off with the pics, your boats looking brilliant - dont sell yourself short, and the colour of it has got me revisiting a couple of very 'loud' paint schemes in one of my sketch books, so cheers for the inspiration mate.

dylan winter, on 30 Sept 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

But look at that top picture

his workbench is an absolute pigsty

the man should be ashamed of himself - tools all over the place

bits of tape and glue dotted about

Roger. Roger, Roger

you are allowing your messy side to show now

D

PS - good work

and will the boat weight more after you have done all this

When i'm working its always total carnage, it normally looks like saw dust bombs & plywood-based ied's have gone off - although i try to keep the main shed free of dust and clutter.

Regarding weight, as you'll know the boat should way around 3 ton but when the banksman shouted out the numbers as it came over my property many moons ago it was 1.82 tons and that was a hull, deck & internal moulding and nothing else, so the chance of it ever weighing 3 tons is remote, that said when crunching some numbers for the forepeak i've gone from a 68L tank to a 43L one so feel i'm 'up' there as the ply panel i made weighs 17kgs and also have cut part of the original moulding away too .

Who knows i might get her up on the plane..................................................only kidding! In all honesty its one of the moments i'm secretly dreading - launching it and it sitting in the water completely wrong still wont know until she gets her bottom wet.

Image0080.jpg

cheers

One of the KTLers sent me this Centaur Brochure from 1974

complete with prices

the boat cost £5,500 in 1974

I have just paid £5,500 for one in 2015

In 1974 I was driving a farm tractor for £10 a week

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/112731906-Westerly-Centaur-8p-B-w-Incl-Ketch-1974-to-6-Small.pdf

I think "ketch people" is a niche market/form of insanity. I have been reading and rereading a book profiling boats under 26' and the authors are bananas on the subject of ketches. The thing can have nine keels, an SA/D of 11, and as long as there is a scrap of handkerchief on a skewer behind the helmsperson they get all misty eyed. Some boats work great as ketches, some look great as ketches, but function and beauty don't seem to matter to "ketch people".

I think "ketch people" is a niche market/form of insanity. I have been reading and rereading a book profiling boats under 26' and the authors are bananas on the subject of ketches. The thing can have nine keels, an SA/D of 11, and as long as there is a scrap of handkerchief on a skewer behind the helmsperson they get all misty eyed. Some boats work great as ketches, some look great as ketches, but function and beauty don't seem to matter to "ketch people".

second only to the Junk rig evangelists

D

I was just looking at an ad for a Sabre 27 (if I am remembering correctly) that had been junk rigged. It linked to his blog that read rather like the Unibomber's manifesto but focusing on his incremental attempts to make the rig work.

Poor Sabre.

I was just looking at an ad for a Sabre 27 (if I am remembering correctly) that had been junk rigged. It linked to his blog that read rather like the Unibomber's manifesto but focusing on his incremental attempts to make the rig work.

Poor Sabre.

I have emails from junkists trying to get me to convert the Centaur to Junk Rig

Any news, Roger?

I miss your progress reports

Hi TL, i do apologise, its been a while - been a bit snowed with paid work, i did manage to make a new former beginning of the week as i had Monday and Tuesday off (went to see Public Enemy Monday night in Bournemouth - bloody brilliant it was too!).

Its a much bigger version of the former i used to make the curved pieces for the galley modules. I realised after a wonder around the interior there was a hell of alot more curved pieces to make then i originally thought and seeing as the little one i made is unusable i set about making a semi permanant one and also out the way of the workshop so i can keep the bench free:

WP_20151208_16_54_39_Pro.jpg

The work contract i'm on is almost at an end then i can get on with the boat once more, can't come soon enough as the work site resembles the somme, plus living in the van is getting a little bit tedious now the weathers on the turn.

Almost forgot i veneered the inside of all the window frames to cover a few slip ups with the router and the odd hole where the drill came through:

WP_20151115_14_48_05_Pro.jpg

A covering of decorative veneer under vacuum

WP_20151119_15_22_18_Pro.jpg

To this, all better again!

WP_20151115_15_46_17_Pro.jpg

Other pictures here:

cheers for looking in

Hi Roger,

I've been following your blog for some time now, and just in case you're not tired of hearing I thought I pop by to tell you how fabulous your workmanship is!

You'll without a doubt be the proud owner of the best Centaur in existence.

Hi Roger,

I've been following your blog for some time now, and just in case you're not tired of hearing I thought I pop by to tell you how fabulous your workmanship is!

your words are true

but surely his Centaur cannot be any better than mine when I bought her

centaur-interior.jpg

Always appreciate the kind words, MG, Dylan, Kim thanks all of you - you'd be amazed how it sustains me at times, especially when trudging around in this day after day, i keep telling myself, "think of the money (boat)."

WP_20151109_13_14_09_Pro.jpg

Hi Roger,

your words are true

centaur-interior.jpg

He probably doesn't have any cushions with "Lizard" printed on them, in any case.

Roger, I am amazed that you have energy left to anything at all to the boat after spending your weeks swimming around that mud bath. Tough work :(

But it's great to see that you are still pressing on, and keeping up such high standards.

Awesome work as always Roger. I'm also guessing you're the only Centaur owner who's ever been to a PE gig. :D

Hi Roger,

your words are true

centaur-interior.jpg

He probably doesn't have any cushions with "Lizard" printed on them, in any case.

I think he might be planning on some leopard print somewhere.

I should add that this was my cabin as I bought the boat. The stickers have gone, the pix on the wall have gone. The Blue table has been sanded back to wood and blue companion way steps are now back to wood. Slowly getting there.

D

I should add that this was my cabin as I bought the boat. The stickers have gone, the pix on the wall have gone. The Blue table has been sanded back to wood and blue companion way steps are now back to wood. Slowly getting there.

What's happened to the sod-the-polishing-lets-go-sailing Dylan?

Again thanks for the kind words.

Dylan: your boats cabin kinda gives me a headache, thats visually very busy eh? I can see why you've made a few changes?

Ish: Not yet but have a couple of ideas for the interior that are a little bit non boaty, although i've scaled back the ideas externally after mucking around with dozens of samplers of vinyl wrap, i found they scratched so easily just applying them so will go the route Bull and Traz have (2 pack PU) and keep it original.

Sloop: cheers man, i'm still trying.

TL: Cheers, i'm almost get a little hyper as i'm so close to finishing the contract and fiddle a bit on the weekends doing stuff on the boat that its whet my appetite again, plus this boat won't beat me. Think i may have a trip to the London Boat Show this year and get the last few shiny bits i need, a cooker for one and the main and genoa cars if i can get a good price.

MM: You'd be surprised, for a Monday night gig there was quite a cross section and a few in the crowd a good deal older than me, if you get a chance to see them - go. Best bit of the night was Flav taking his shirt off and giving it to the guy bout my age (40) in the front row who bought his kids along to see them.

your words are true

centaur-interior.jpg

I particularly like the curtain to the fore-peak, my local Butcher has one exactly the same on his shop door!

your words are true

centaur-interior.jpg

I particularly like the curtain to the fore-peak, my local Butcher has one exactly the same on his shop door!

the big door does open and then fits rather cleverly into the same apperture at the door - so you can close that area off. However, it is also pretty nice to be able to pull the curtain across which is rather nicer than the bog door. I will keep the upholstery and curtains until Jill gets around to replacing them. The cusions are fine and the floor is really practical, easy to clean and fairly warm to walk on.

I am getting used to it.

I enjoyed the level of nicknackery left behind on the boat

clocks-Sequence-03_11.jpg

Dylan, very nice nipple on Ms. Knickknack, but I submit that her horrified expression is from looking at those cushions. Please have Jill get to work.

BC

At least put a blindfold on the poor girl. Having that staring at me all the time would give me the willies.

the figurine survived about three minutes of Jill being on the boat

there is now more visible wood around the place but removing the glue from the stickers is taking a while

D

I was going through one of the family albums the other night looking for something and came across a pile of boat pics, must of been from the late '80's when we first got whats now my boat and to be honest the interior of mine didnt look a lot different to Dylans. By that i mean the main bulkhead being covered in shite (mini pictures, trinkets and other stuff normally found in bric a brac shops).

It seems my father suffered with the same 'debilitating' illness as the PO of Dylans boat - admittedly the upholstery on mine was fairly subdued compared to D's.

Will i succumb to the same illness when i'm that age?

I was going through one of the family albums the other night looking for something and came across a pile of boat pics, must of been from the late '80's when we first got whats now my boat and to be honest the interior of mine didnt look a lot different to Dylans. By that i mean the main bulkhead being covered in shite (mini pictures, trinkets and other stuff normally found in bric a brac shops).

It seems my father suffered with the same 'debilitating' illness as the PO of Dylans boat - admittedly the upholstery on mine was fairly subdued compared to D's.

Will i succumb to the same illness when i'm that age?

Clive is a grandfather

when you get to a certain age there is nothing you really want as a present - aprat from alcohol and the marina bill paid for you

so his family bought stuff for him - the odd nautical hook, sticker, tray..... it all adds u8p and who among us would be able to spurn a present from a grandchild

probably rather pleased to leave most of it behind

I am getting used top the beach hut look

rather cheerful during these dark winter months

D

Dylan has it right. There's very little I want these days, in the material sense.

I love the Thanksgiving holiday because the family is around, but there's no pressure from the expectation of gifts.

I really have a hard time convincing people to stop buying me "stuff". Life experiences are what I want most of all. My recent trip to Italy really was the best thing I've been given in a long while.

You're both right of course, niece Tiarney has made a cushion for my boat as shes learning needlework from Gran, it looks pretty good too, it'll take pride of place in the saloon, should of said all the stuff nailed to my boat was largely done by my father - no gifts - including extra cleats.............fucking everywhere they were.

Dylan has it right. There's very little I want these days, in the material sense.

I love the Thanksgiving holiday because the family is around, but there's no pressure from the expectation of gifts.

I really have a hard time convincing people to stop buying me "stuff". Life experiences are what I want most of all. My recent trip to Italy really was the best thing I've been given in a long while.

Totally - I'm well into that phase of life where I'm getting rid of all the shit I accumulated in the previous phase.

The kids & grandbaby are here for Christmas which means I get to buy toy cars & boats again so that's good but they will go when they all go home.

Ah, +1 to books.

Could you imagine if Roger and Panope opened a yacht yard together?

The quality of work would be beyond reproach...and yachts would also be forever held hostage to their pursuit of perfection! ;)

Seriously though, there are so many yards charging yacht yard quality billing rates for shitty composite work and shoddy mechanical and electric work. It should be a crime.

If the dynamic duo opened a shop, the demand would drown 'em.

Roger and Panope? One can only dream. Unfortunately I don't think I'd live to see the finished boat if they started on it next week.

Roger and Panope? One can only dream. Unfortunately I don't think I'd live to see the finished boat if they started on it next week.

And Roger would expect it to be delivered to his house and craned into the back garden so that he could build a semi-permanent shed around it.

If they were to enter into a business venture together, I would insist that it be based in the Chesapeake.

Forgot to ask last time out, can you point me in the direction of Panope, does he have a website / blog?

I got done with paid work yesterday so i'm easing myself back into the boat varnishing all the bits for the forepeak:

Locker surrounds:

WP_20151217_12_09_17_Pro.jpg

Locker lids:

WP_20151217_12_09_27_Pro.jpg

Last of the cappings on:

WP_20151217_12_09_53_Pro.jpg

cheers

'6.2 ybw.com also reserves the right to terminate the User's participation on the Forum if their behaviour is deemed damaging or potentially damaging to the forum community or the ybw.com brand.'
Have you been a naughty boy then Roger?

'6.2 ybw.com also reserves the right to terminate the User's participation on the Forum if their behaviour is deemed damaging or potentially damaging to the forum community or the ybw.com brand.'

Have you been a naughty boy then Roger?

A little, but in my defence the guy was a clueless gobshite pretending to know what he was talking about, I mean on here its banter telling someone to fuck off but apparently on ybw you cant call someone a cunt even if they clearly are one.

When I appealed to the mods and I quote, "come on man, read the fucking thread the guys a total cunt" that sign literally popped up instantly.

It was actually an interesting thread about yacht design, bit of a change seeing as most there blather on about such topics as which disinfectant should I use in the heads or what's your favourite biscuit, seriously.

The moment anything gets abit spirited or salty they lock it down.

Also I ripped everything out the boat and threw it in the skip over the hols, think it may have been the cooking wine I got stuck into I dunno, the forepeak looked abit meh and when i calculated the weight of it all I put the floor dip down and got busy with the air saw. I'd post some pics but there's not a lot to show.

Cheers

'When I appealed to the mods and I quote, "come on man, read the fucking thread the guys a total cunt" that sign literally popped up instantly'

Classic! :D

'When I appealed to the mods and I quote, "come on man, read the fucking thread the guys a total cunt" that sign literally popped up instantly'

yeah the appeal didn't go quite to plan. The real travesty was the deletion of all the pages leading upto that point, some of the funniest stuff I've ever written. And all whilst with the other hand feeding miles of meranti through the thicknesser, multitasker me all the way. Right time for bed.

It appears this place is more influential than I realized.

I am a little intrigued, I admit. Have a little fun online over the holidays Roger?

You could say rant :D

Yeah i guess SA has seeped into my pours alittle Sloop, all i did was say Westerly' weren't all that well built and heres why, posted a load of pics of what i'd removed from mine over the christmas hols and this total twat 'Seajet' tells me i'm bullshitting / mistaken confused, then when i piled in with a load more pics on of a few of my boats shortcomings got told by 'Seajet', "thats not a Centaur, i know what one looks like and i'm a qualified engineer dont'cha know?"

Well after i finished wiping the coffee off the screen and keyboard i set about having some fun with the idiot, interestingly a couple of old boys on there that owned my make of boat, new back in the day, actually agreed with me about the quality; that maybe hardboard, rough-sawn pine and car bog filler isn't the greatest materials to build a boat from.

Turns out Westerly's are a bit of a scared-cow in the UK, you cant critise them at any cost, still heres the pics that got the wheels turning:

Hardboard used to tab the liner moulding to the half-bulkhead with plenty of polyester splooge

WP_20160106_10_57_15_Pro.jpg

Poorly wetted out chop strand and softwood post holdingthe liner in place with a couple of dollops of polyester filler on the post for good measure:

WP_20151230_13_52_44_Pro.jpg

Then the question of asymmetry came up, i merely mentioned by boats engine install runs off to port by 30 odd mm and this seem to get under the skin of one or two there, again got accused of being mistaken and confused even after posting the picture below of the built-up shoe for the port side engine bearer then the party really got started, well as far as one could on a bloody forum!

WP_001682.jpg

I mean in the overall scheme of things it was the stuff of handbags but just the funniest all the same - i guess you never know what kind of cranks you'll meet on the interwebs, and btw feel free to join YBW.com and have some fun with that silly twat 'Seajet'.

Oh yeah heres where i'm at with the boat:

WP_20160105_13_29_26_Pro.jpg

Gone for the open- bulkhead European look.

cheers

Ironic that one of the members actually doing major work on an iconic UK boat gets banned from YBW.

Says a lot really. SA may have more swearing / banter but people are actually a lot nicer on here.

YBW members give lots of great advice but it's often delivered in an odd way where people are trying to one-up the other contributors.

Shows the difference between a heavily moderated and lightly moderated forum, and it's no surprise that lighter moderation (SA) works better providing you're not an uptight armchair admiral.

Ironic that one of the members actually doing major work on an iconic UK boat gets banned from YBW.

Says a lot really. SA may have more swearing / banter but people are actually a lot nicer on here.

YBW members give lots of great advice but it's often delivered in an odd way where people are trying to one-up the other contributors.

Shows the difference between a heavily moderated and lightly moderated forum, and it's no surprise that lighter moderation (SA) works better providing you're not an uptight armchair admiral.

Cheers MM, I couldn't agree more, i think also its a cultural thing here in the UK seeing as i've met so few sailors from the lower orders like myself so tend to assume from people ive met face to face that most British fora are populated by the upper echelons whos opinions are above question.

Definately appreciate the laid-back attitude here and yeah it gets a bit salty from time to time but at least you dont get a lifetime ban for swearing eh?, plus when i post some work ive done on here it illicits interesting conversation and alot of the time with people that work in the industry who know what they're talking about instead of snidy back-handed shit from bar-room 'sailors' over there, but thats more a reflection of us English i'm sad to say.

Still moving on - time for a bit of lunch and then i'll start running the corecell through the saw as i want to get the top-hat stringers in the hull over the weekend, got a two week reprieve from the site job so i'm looking to get the guts back in, the new mega former works treat got the first couple of corner pieces made, all going swimmingly.

ta tar.

I'm hyperventilating a bit here... did you rip out all of that wonderful joinery you built into the boat? Am I seeing this right?

I'm hyperventilating a bit here... did you rip out all of that wonderful joinery you built into the boat? Am I seeing this right?

Yes you are Ajax but only upto and including including the curved bulkhead and the settee top (too low), the galley's all good thats stored under the boat ready to go back in, The problem i had having dry fitted everything over the christmas hols was stepping back and being thoroughly underwhelmed plus I was hitting a lot of head winds trying to make the front end work with the liner still in place and being fitted quite badly in the hull (in the horizontal plane) made getting new joinery to talk to old joinery almost impossible; things like locker lids not closing properly began to grate on me a bit.

But dont despair as its replacement is in the shop at the moment, just fiddling with the compressor re-learning spraying techniques & whats achievable in damp conditions. The biggest worry was the curved bulkhead although cool-looking that part was built in three pieces - i was never quite happy with that and the actual curved part itself needed reinforcing as it was only ever bendiply (balsa) so meant adding more and more weight to it and therefore the boat which isn't known for its light displacement - just didn't make sense to me.

I genuinely apologise if it pisses you off Ajax but it will be worth it - trust me. :D

I am a little intrigued, I admit. Have a little fun online over the holidays Roger?

Turns out Westerly's are a bit of a scared-cow in the UK, you cant critise them at any cost,

post-95343-0-83839900-1452271831_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you're well rid of the place - you can plainly see the chines in the bow on that pic of the forepeak.

Like Ajax said - did you rip all your fresh work out?

Sheer poetry.

OTOH it means we win, because a knowledgable, skilled, experienced sailor/netizen is now going to spend more time here at SA rather than in the safely moderated playpen.

As for scared cows... yeah well they were built to make it out the door and onto a dealer's lot where they could be sold. Every commercial product has some corners cut, or else they go out of business. I can remember when you could buy a new Studebaker. You can't any more! Very interesting project and thanks for the pics.

FB- Doug

Roger, it doesn't piss me off. I was just amazed. It sounds like it's not a total do-over though, Much was salvaged and you work so quickly that I guess you'll have a new, better interior knocked together in no time. I'm not a perfectionist but I doubt I'd tolerate locker lids not closing either.

Turns out Westerly's are a bit of a scared-cow in the UK, you cant critise them at any cost,

attachicon.gifScared Cow.jpg

Sounds like you're well rid of the place - you can plainly see the chines in the bow on that pic of the forepeak.

Like Ajax said - did you rip all your fresh work out?

Yep everything forward of the main bulkhead including it, realised there was quite a major problem with the liner when i attempted to fit the locker lids to the panel i built over the top of it, nothing would close properly, not having that............. no no!

Sheer poetry.

OTOH it means we win, because a knowledgable, skilled, experienced sailor/netizen is now going to spend more time here at SA rather than in the safely moderated playpen.

As for scared cows... yeah well they were built to make it out the door and onto a dealer's lot where they could be sold. Every commercial product has some corners cut, or else they go out of business. I can remember when you could buy a new Studebaker. You can't any more! Very interesting project and thanks for the pics.

FB- Doug

Cheers Doug i appreciate it, i just checked back into ybw.com and the doors are definately locked and there i was thinking i was just being honest about my boat,

Roger, it doesn't piss me off. I was just amazed. It sounds like it's not a total do-over though, Much was salvaged and you work so quickly that I guess you'll have a new, better interior knocked together in no time. I'm not a perfectionist but I doubt I'd tolerate locker lids not closing either.

Cool, you're right it looks quite dramatic but 40 % of it will be going back in - all the important stuff like the settee locker lids and its top frame plus the galley modules are all stored off the boat ready to go, all i'm doing really is fitting new bulkheads up the front without the extra weight and bad fit of an internal moulding underneath it all.

cheers

So when you are done the only original bits will be the keel bolts? It is said that the USS Constitution is now about 10% original material, so I guess so long as you can hit that mark she's still a Westerly!

They're understandably gun shy about libel given the history, but it does give rise to a very odd feel to the forum. Plus being owned by a media multinational = lawyers a lot more involved.

Lots of undercurrents of rage simmering under the surface.

So when you are done the only original bits will be the keel bolts? It is said that the USS Constitution is now about 10% original material, so I guess so long as you can hit that mark she's still a Westerly!

Alas not even:

258.jpg

That's an interesting philosophical point you raise Sculpin, whens a Centaur not a Centaur?

Maybe i should rest the name given that the only original parts are the rudder stock, 1/2 the hull, 3/4's of the deck, 2/3's of the keels oh and the mast step fitting,.................... how about 'OCD 2600 built by Glacial Yacht Industries' :D

They're understandably gun shy about libel given the history, but it does give rise to a very odd feel to the forum. Plus being owned by a media multinational = lawyers a lot more involved.

Lots of undercurrents of rage simmering under the surface.

I don't know the history Ed, was it once as rowdy as this place gets? Cos for the last few years its like going to church, the topics in the boaty sections were / are a yawn fest, plus when you've have thread titles such as 'How do i sand wood?' or 'How do i undo a bolt?' I mean...............really?

I used to go to the lounge section and lurk among the eccentrics, way more fun! You're right though there is an undercurrent although a lot of it i put down to British culture / class system but certainly not helped by overly vigilant moderators who infantilize the whole affair. A

And hey the subscriptions keep on falling, who owns them btw?

Yachting World in particular have been on the wrong side of a couple of libel awards, one being the then second highest award ever seen. IANAL, but as I understand it, UK defamation law as it applies to forums isn't simple, but some degree of liability might well pass to forum owners and not just stay with authors. So they're a bit twitchy.

The tone of the forums are odd. The motorboat one is much more laid back, and the Yachts and Yachting forums have a lighter tone too. More kid-friendly, there. I just find PBO and YM forums populated by angry old white men. Sad.

Yachting World, Yachting Monthly, Practical Boat Owner are all owned by Time Inc. (As are Supersail and Motorboat Monthly).

That's an interesting philosophical point you raise Sculpin, whens a Centaur not a Centaur?

Maybe i should rest the name given that the only original parts are the rudder stock, 1/2 the hull, 3/4's of the deck, 2/3's of the keels oh and the mast step fitting,.................... how about 'OCD 2600 built by Glacial Yacht Industries' :D

When I was a teen we built a boat, cannibalized an old one for parts (lead keel, rudder stock, etc). The hull was strip planked, epoxied, whereas the rest of the fleet are traditional wood built, and the debate over whether or not it was acceptable for racing was pretty heated. Even though one could have argued it was the same boat... :-)

how about 'OCD 2600 built by Glacial Yacht Industries' :D

Now that's what I call self awareness. ;)

Yachting World in particular have been on the wrong side of a couple of libel awards, one being the then second highest award ever seen. IANAL, but as I understand it, UK defamation law as it applies to forums isn't simple, but some degree of liability might well pass to forum owners and not just stay with authors. So they're a bit twitchy.

The tone of the forums are odd. The motorboat one is much more laid back, and the Yachts and Yachting forums have a lighter tone too. More kid-friendly, there. I just find PBO and YM forums populated by angry old white men. Sad.

Yachting World, Yachting Monthly, Practical Boat Owner are all owned by Time Inc. (As are Supersail and Motorboat Monthly).

Under Australian Law it is also rather "post softly softly", as it does not matter where something was posted or what country where the host of a site is.

Well fuck them!

When I was a teen we built a boat, cannibalized an old one for parts (lead keel, rudder stock, etc). The hull was strip planked, epoxied, whereas the rest of the fleet are traditional wood built, and the debate over whether or not it was acceptable for racing was pretty heated. Even though one could have argued it was the same boat... :-)

If you keep the "main beam" with the reg. numbers in the new boat, technically it remains the old boat, otherwise no.

Hi roger. I love the fact that you can spend ages working on something then stand back only to realise it's not right, then cut it all out and start again. I thought I was the only one who does that.

On the forum matter, crew.org.nz was sold a couple of years ago and the new owner is very precious, and unsurprisingly it now consists of a half dozen guys essentially using it as their own message board. It's a pity as Nz is a pretty awesome place to live if you like boats.

Have you machined a 75x2 rebate around the top of your bunk tops to accept the glass tabbing. I wonder if you could glass it in then screw a shaped ply piece down over the top of the peel ply, coated with packaging tape of course, so you could clear coat the ply. Or paint it.

Hi roger. I love the fact that you can spend ages working on something then stand back only to realise it's not right, then cut it all out and start again. I thought I was the only one who does that.

On the forum matter, crew.org.nz was sold a couple of years ago and the new owner is very precious, and unsurprisingly it now consists of a half dozen guys essentially using it as their own message board. It's a pity as Nz is a pretty awesome place to live if you like boats.

Have you machined a 75x2 rebate around the top of your bunk tops to accept the glass tabbing. I wonder if you could glass it in then screw a shaped ply piece down over the top of the peel ply, coated with packaging tape of course, so you could clear coat the ply. Or paint it.

Cheers man, NZ's a great place, i'm a bit down on where my brother lives (proper dullburbs but hey he has his reasons) but the time i had in Auckland was just the best, cool people, great food and drink and boats everywhere, whats not to like? - I could live there for sure, next time i'm over your neck of the woods visiting bro, you and me & him are gonna have a blast, sailing the pink peril, beers, food, gonna be great.

Regards the 'slight' adjustments i made, i sort of stood back and just went, wow! what a heap o shit i just created - then when i crunched the numbers of all the materials i used i was like, wow a heap o shit and weighs a ton - fuck that, out you come - i guess you've had the same moment too?

Whats the old adage about yacht design - 'if it looks right it is right', mine wasn't right for a whole plethora of reasons, cant quite picture the rebate idea? got any pictures, sounds interesting, ive suddenly got all race-boat orientated , i know i know stop laughing, but since i've been working with core-cell the last few days putting the stringers in i realised you can get quite a bit of weight out the boat, who knows maybe i'll get 4.5 knots out of her?

cheers

*EDIT* i've got what the rebate idea is, you mean like this:

WP_003557.jpg

If thats it, bang on Traz good call, i think from memory that was 100 x 2, that bulkheads gone too, seriously when you put an airsaw in my hand i kinda glaze over and start looking for things to use it on, to be honest i never liked the slant i gave the upright, wanted it more vertical.

Heres me and a really big lump of metal:

WP_002604.jpg

Rog - the rebate thing is really simple - where the glass tabs will lie down you rout the mating surface to the same depth as the thickness of the glass - then when you have finished the tabbing it lies flush with the surface of the berth top (or bulkhead or whatever panel).

Routing it down can be tedious because it's usually a fairly big surface area. When replacing some bulkheads once I tabbed in a ply "sub" bulkhead that was 1/4" thinner than spec then epoxy bonded 1/8" teak ply to each side but cut it back to the inner edge of the tabbing. Ended up with the same flush effect but less work (I think).

I've also see people simply tab things as usual then fair them out with plain old Bondo - looks & feels almost as good but only works for painted surfaces.

Edit: By Jove, I think he's got it. ;) I'm going to have to start typing faster.

WP_002604.jpg

Keeriste - where's Michelangelo when you need him? I'd want a LOT of money to do the bottom of that monster.

If you keep the "main beam" with the reg. numbers in the new boat, technically it remains the old boat, otherwise no.

Only have the reg numbers sloop, i threw the beam away it was rotten:

WP_002761.jpg

Stuck the reg plate in a tub of acetone, came up quite nice:

WP_002768.jpg

Does that mean shes offically brand new?

WP_002604.jpg

Keeriste - where's Michelangelo when you need him? I'd want a LOT of money to do the bottom of that monster.

Cheers sloop total brain fade on my part, yeah i remember parking the car in the multi storey at the viaduct and staring out on the floor we were on and only just being at deck level of that monster, it is the most arresting site from ground level what it must have been like in the water sailing's another matter. Work of art to look at.

Only have the reg numbers sloop, i threw the beam away it was rotten:

WP_002761.jpg

Stuck the reg plate in a tub of acetone, came up quite nice:

WP_002768.jpg

Does that mean shes offically brand new?

I believe the "legal" registration numbers have to be physically carved deeply (deeper than can be sanded out) into the "main beam" which nowadays usually means a bulkhead. The builders plate is the production number, not the legal reg. number.

Here it really only applies to boats over 10 meters / 10 horsepower so maybe something similar applies in Blighty.

Ok cool, not much of a beam anyway, more teak veneered ply really.

Cheers