• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kurio99

RS700 Turtle

I've started sailing a RS700. First two capsizes are easy. By the third, the boat turtles real quick and is a bit of a bear to recover. Is that the mast filling with water? Is that typical?

Wrap some self amalgamating tape around the mast head fitting, and then poke a hole through it just big enough for the halyard to go through.

Also fill around the shroud and forestay terminals with silicon. It will significantly slow down the chance of a turtle.

drill a small hole in mast at deck level so it can drain ? would also confirm if it was filling up

I should drill a drain hole in the base, ie the mast foot. Is the Foot alloy or plastic? the later ones are plastic. I replaced my alloy one as it had corroded quite badly. I bought my 700 used.

Most of the water will come scooting out the halyard entry, just up from the mast base but a drain hole on the end of the mast (in the foot itself) is the best solution.

I sail mine with a 20 ltr float bag tied to the sail head. Probably not what you want for racing:) Yes, it slows me down a little but its great as I don't have a safety boat to cover me. I don't race, nothing to race against where I live (Falkland Islands)

Good luck, they are good boats.

as you recover the boat, hold it capsized with the mast just out of the water to give it a chance to drain some. Im shocked there arent big drain holes in the bottom of the mast step - not much makes the boat harder to recover than a mast full of water carrying momentum....

Yeah and if you're turtling into a sandy bottom you might be getting sand into the mast too so make sure you clean that out... ask me how I know.

Speng,

I see you're in Cinncinnati. There were Sailing Canoes based there that were members of the WCA (Western Canoe Association) in the late 1800's. I know that unless you're a vampire you would not remember them but are there any old trophys at your club, or where you sail that go back that far. Just asking. Where do you sail? Later DG