^That's the Oleander, flagship of BCL. She's a highly maneuverable, hard-working little ship, and is Bermuda's primary surface commercial connection to the US east coast.

The Oleander sails every week from Newark NJ arriving in Hamilton on Sunday or Monday, Bermuda Islander sails from Salem NJ arriving in Hamilton on Thursdays. and the Somers Isles sails every week from Fernandina Beach FL, arriving in Bermuda Tuesday or Wednesday.

Some more about the Oleander

--

The ACBDA has produced a short video that highlights the MV Oleander’s special delivery for the Oracle Team USA base in Dockyard.

As far as anyone can recall this is the first time the Oleander has offloaded in Dockyard and the first time in many years that the stevedores have worked off of the Hamilton docks. This is a great example of Bermuda working together to help deliver a successful America’s Cup.

http://www.todayinbermuda.com/sports/item/1131-video-oleander-makes-special-america-s-cup-delivery

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150409/SPORT30/150409754

“It is being stored in its shipping containers on the forecourt at Dockyard until April 20 when the base boat shed is scheduled to be completed. Then the team will begin assembling the boat to be ready for sailing at the beginning of the month.”

-----------------------------------------------

OTUSA base - 16 new photos, mostly their tents but including an older port building for their gym.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150408/NEWS25/150409784

Possibly the same one that was getting a new roof a few weeks back

Space for rent! Start your own Dockyard hostel

AR-141119920.jpg

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140911/NEWS/140919931

Some more about the Oleander

--

The ACBDA has produced a short video that highlights the MV Oleanders special delivery for the Oracle Team USA base in Dockyard.

As far as anyone can recall this is the first time the Oleander has offloaded in Dockyard and the first time in many years that the stevedores have worked off of the Hamilton docks. This is a great example of Bermuda working together to help deliver a successful Americas Cup.

http://www.todayinbermuda.com/sports/item/1131-video-oleander-makes-special-america-s-cup-delivery

Spinbot

I thought I could escape the forum today with a bicycle ride in beautiful sunny spring day with my camera,......... until I fell on that. To find the right thread was a no brainer :)

post-43482-0-56875600-1428894752_thumb.jpg

I named my first boat 'Stingray' (sailed it from age 8 -14) because the main sheet was hard to keep on deck since it often washed over the open transom and trailed behind, until I could pull it all back in, using one hand and my teeth, like a tail. It was a wide, flat deck scow, so the hull resembled a Stingray too. I do happen to drive a Corvette Stingray (an iconic American sports car) most days but that boat of my childhood is the real reason for choosing SR as my handle.

What did you see, a kite shop?

Coutts and Andrew Campbell were supposed to come to Charleston to do some kind of presentation for this weekend's race week. They cancelled yesterday.

RC cancelled because he has coldsores from sucking on dirty homeless mens cocks.

RC cancelled because he has coldsores from sucking on dirty homeless mens cocks.

oh I had not heard that one.

Surely, he is wealthy enough to enjoy the company of the finest Eurobabes - whether they be married or not!

In bed with airbus explains why RC went OD

That is quite the edge they have already established, and I would hazard a guess at no cost to OR.

RC is not just a pretty face.

To quote a certain Blockhead, now deceased:

"There ain't half some clever bastards"

Back on the water in Bermuda. According to Rome Kirby, "Today was about knocking the rust off -- first time sailing in Bermuda for the four of us who were out today. Myself and Matty (Matt Cassidy) were on one boat. Tom (Tom Slingsby) and Sam (Newton) were on the other. We had 14-18 knots of wind, pretty flat water, sun was out. It was a blast...I reckon we were close to about 30 knots at times." Photos by Rob Russell / ORACLE TEAM USA

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11165258_824499744253740_930585735513703066_n.jpg?oh=16ac2528b2c68050f7280ba1bc630d0d&oe=55CEE7F6&__gda__=1439772875_73de0ca58ec26bfa485a2cf1484a9a07

Airbus team making vital contributions to America’s Cup champion

23 APRIL 2015 PRESS RELEASE
Following the announcement in 2014 of the innovation partnership between Airbus and ORACLE TEAM USA, the project has moved from the design offices to the open seas. The first in-water tests were carried out successfully and the second phase is scheduled to begin soon at the new team base in Bermuda.
ORACLE TEAM USA is trialing new designs and systems on its AC45S boat, a testing platform for the technology the team will use in the 2017 America’s Cup.
The tests performed with the Airbus teams focused on hydraulic systems and aerodynamics. Airbus engineers supported ORACLE TEAM USA to develop, check and validate the new hydraulic systems before moving into the next phase of development. For the aerodynamic tests, the objective was to see how Airbus’ instrumentation interacts with the boat and fits with ORACLE TEAM USA's overall test process.
ORACLE TEAM USA is now setting up its base at its new home in Bermuda and two Airbus engineers will soon join the team there. In parallel, the Airbus and ORACLE TEAM USA designers will continue development work with the goal of producing the fastest America’s Cup Class boat for racing in 2017.
Airbus became ORACLE TEAM USA’s Official Innovation Partner on 23rd October 2014. As part of this partnership, AIRBUS is sharing its expertise in fields such as aerodynamics, instrumentation, simulation, composites, structures, hydraulics and data analysis with ORACLE TEAM USA design team.

Russel , once more you try to grab the Cup (or what's will remain of ) with completely ilegitimate procedure aplication, and it's not the first time..... !

CONGRATULATION !

Ben was a very good guy once upon a time and we all loved him , but now seems to follows your roots.

Hope to your OTBOT all the possible misfortune , and one last advice , if you even will come again to race in the med , keep your helmets :ph34r: :ph34r: well fastened even if you are not racing....! we do not like robbers here.

Your Italian ex fan

Lobbing stones? My, how times have changed.

I guess the heady days of giant mirrors - fire - and massive levers are really over.

Apologies may be in order - if it was your boat that was tipped, burnt, and braised.

Jimmy Spithill, the Oracle Team USA skipper, has recovered sufficiently from elbow surgery to resume training on the team’s wing sail foiling AC45 catamaran.

“I’ll be able to sail the AC45 next month because it’s just steering,” Spithill said. “But the smaller boats are so much more physical that I just can’t do it yet.”

“The timing’s been great — I haven’t had to pick a tool up or help with any of the packing up in San Francisco or the unpacking here,” he said. “You can tell I’ve timed it as a man of experience ... I think some of the young guys of the team can look to me and learn something here.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150424/SPORT30/150429836

Thanks, Barny

4f5b628488fec918f969af342f4b84a2_zps8yzs

First time we see the much beefier (than on standard 45s) crossbeams.

But - stick 3' to that and you've got a Cup boat ??

3" 's surly not. Why that is such a small amount. Why not sail these. In fact the 33's would be even cheaper. Moths anyone?

Thanks, Barny

First time we see the much beefier (than on standard 45s) crossbeams.

There's a larger version of the photo at here. Among the details visible are the (presumably) hydraulics running between the foil casing and the spine.

JS: "Long history of great sailors and great athletes coming out from japan" and

"another competitive team"

From the new team base at Dockyard in Bermuda, skipper Jimmy Spithill welcomes the challenge from SoftBank Team Japan.

post-33465-0-72725700-1430425421_thumb.jpg

CCkTN0AW8AIEirV.jpg

Oracle out sailing in the Great Sound in their Phantoms

AR-150429836.jpg

Play a little touch rugby on the beach, go for a sail... it's as nice as any vacation I've ever taken in my life.

And some asshole refused the job at $300K a year?

Oracle Team USA was sailing out on the Great Sound in Bermuda this week in the small foiling cats. Target date for sailing the AC45S from the new base at Dockyard is now Monday May 4, weather permitting.

On the Great Sound in Bermuda in our Phantoms. We’re looking forward to sailing the AC45S out of our new home at Dockyard next week. Video by Javier Salinas / ORACLE TEAM USA

post-33465-0-81144400-1430512406_thumb.jpg

America’s Cup s a ‘renaissance’ for Island

Mr Durhager said that 38 Bermudian firms and 189 Bermudian workers had been involved in the $4.7 million project to establish the Team Oracle camp in Dockyard.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150502/SPORT30/150509939

Hell that's about 70%* of TF's annual budget just on some concrete and a few tents!

So, the idea to look for the "Wayne s World" clip about "if you build it they will come" and i found this, really pro video, with pretty much the same title that i was looking for.

from Oracle's facebook page

11052370_828825423821172_864299173419806

"The first America's Cup class catamaran".... Freudian slip?

The Bermuda press are still getting up to speed in their terminology. To most of their audience it's good enough for now but once things start getting complicated, including once the shits starts flying as it inevitably will at times, they're going to look a little naive and unprepared unless they go to AC school before they just get schooled.

Well, we are all calling it an AC45S (AC for America's Cup, right?). And it is the first one launched in Bermuda, so technically they are correct. I am sure they are aware that it isn't the AC48 and actual match boat.

The islanders are excited about all that is happening. It is understandable.I say, cut them a little slack.

Yes, the island grooves are really positive.

Wish it were in SF but have to admit that the blue color of that water is quite striking. The teams are in for quite a treat.

i'm guessing based on the red being 254 red the saturation has been pushed way up

i'm guessing based on the red being 254 red the saturation has been pushed way up

The infamous boat 4 no less. Wonder if the new rule will include stuffed king posts?

It is indeed wonderful, the Bermuda experience

I was there for the Gold Cup ( a while ago)

Dark and Stormy's after a day in the sun and the wind

We got scooters the lot of us to cruise the island, and lived with the locals

memories....

Listening to those vids it sounds like they have the last 3 letters in the team name in the wrong order. It should be Oracle Team AUS. Or may be they should be nicknamed Ausricle.

Kirby and Cassidy (both USA) are getting a good look, perhaps they will stick. More than half the design team is USA, a nice change too.

Looking for reefs to avoid?!? Sounds like a great foiling race track? Perhaps that's just a case of asking Slingers what they're going to do and him making up something on the spot?
yep, figured that too but on reefs anyway, Nathan came up with the same thing, independently:

--

"The racecourse is small but it looks pretty good. Goobs [iain Jensen] and I got out in two A Cats and did from the Channel all the way to the bottom of Morgans Point to get an understanding of where all the shallow bits are.

It is pretty important because you dont want any disasters out there hitting rocks. We were also just seeing how shifty it is and the conditions were beautiful. It was 15 to 18 knots and very enjoyable." (from a repeat post of this link http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20150505/SPORT30/150509878 )

I wrote 'Cassidy' above but (apologies to him in case he saw this) it's actually Andrew Campbell. I think that while Kirby is from a Newport family, Campbell is from San Diego. It's possible that both their fathers are AC experienced.

Anyway that vid is now up on YT for those who can't play the FB format and speaking of 'Great Sound' can anyone name that pretty-catchy soundtrack?

^ Yep. Andrew Campbell's father is Bill Campbell. who sailed for America Cubed. Rome Kirby's dad is Jerry Kirby, one of the greatest bowmen of all time. He sailed with just about everybody.

^ Could it be that they had to reduce the size of the boat not because some of the teams were struggling for finance but rather because they were struggling to meet even the minimum nationality quota!? ;)

Spitty mentioned a crack at a few foiling tacks in that vid.

Just wondering, do they still have the rule that the windward board/foil has to be lifted? Seems kind of an unnecessary rule with the modern boards.

^ Yep. Andrew Campbell's father is Bill Campbell. who sailed for America Cubed. Rome Kirby's dad is Jerry Kirby, one of the greatest bowmen of all time. He sailed with just about everybody.

Thanks.

And it turns out that Matt Cassidy is in that vid. Here's something Slingsby said about him, back when they were training in Australia

--

“We’re going to be trialing out Matt Cassidy, an American sailor, who has been a world champion in RC44s, TP52s and on the match racing tour. We’re excited to have him along and to see where he fits in."
--
and from Feb in SF:
'We have a few new faces and we have to get these guys out sailing on foiling cats,' Slingsby said. 'Guys like Andrew Campbell and Matt Cassidy, who haven’t sailed these boats before so we’re looking forward to showing them the ropes.'
--

Rome Kirby, the Oracle Team USA trimmer, is having an absolute “blast” sailing in the Great Sound.

The son of Jerry Kirby, a veteran of six America’s Cup campaigns, has been sharpening his foiling skills this week with some of his team-mates in the Phantom catamaran at the venue where Oracle will lay their America’s Cup title on the line in 2017.

“These sessions let us learn about foiling on catamarans,” Kirby said. “Everyone gets to have a go driving and crewing. It keeps your skills sharp and it’s a blast.”

This week marks the first time Oracle sailors have tested the waters in the Great Sound.

Kyle Langford, Graeme Spence, Joey Newton and Andrew Campbell were the first members of the team to get a feel for the local conditions on Wednesday. Matt Cassidy, Tom Slingsby, Sam Newton and Kirby sailed the next day in heavier breezes.

“We were hauling the mail out there,” Kirby said. “I reckon we were close to about 30 knots at times. We had about 14-18 knots of wind, pretty flat water, sun was out. It was a blast.”

Kirby and his father are both America’s Cup winners.

Jerry Kirby won the ‘Auld Mug’ in 1992 as a bowman on America 3 while son Rome won it in 2013 with Oracle Team USA in San Francisco. It is believed that the Kirbys are the first father and son to win the America’s Cup in the event’s history.

Kirby has been doing a lot of foiling in smaller boats in recent months. The Newport, Rhode Island resident was among five Oracle Team USA sailors that qualified for the Gold Fleet at January’s 2015 World Moth Championships in Port Phillip, Australia.

Just wondering, do they still have the rule that the windward board/foil has to be lifted? Seems kind of an unnecessary rule with the modern boards.

These foils work with leeway coupling*-the windward foil has to be raised though when there's not much or any leeway they could both be down for a bit.

* which increases vertical lift and allows twice the RM compared to both down and lifting.

^ Could it be that they had to reduce the size of the boat not because some of the teams were struggling for finance but rather because they were struggling to meet even the minimum nationality quota!? ;)

OK, I'll bite, what's the minimum nationality rule number?

So what was that? 5 aussies to 3 usanians out for a yot?

Plenty of rep for match racing crew too

These foils work with leeway coupling*-the windward foil has to be raised though when there's not much or any leeway they could both be down for a bit.

* which increases vertical lift and allows twice the RM compared to both down and lifting.

I get it. That's why I ask if there remains any reason for the rule? Or, without the rule, would they design the foils differently?

Didn't we already establish that on the 72's the rule was that they couldn't use the windward board to pull the windward hull down?

It was the stock 45's that were required to lift the windward board within a certain time limit.

The sailors seem to be pretty adamant about foiling tacks being part of the deal. It will be interesting to see how they get that new leeward hull to stay clear of the water as they tack the boards. They don't seem to want to put the board down before the tack like the do on the downwind jibes.

I get it. That's why I ask if there remains any reason for the rule? Or, without the rule, would they design the foils differently?

Without the rule, they might try to design a different foil but the only viable possibility,in my opinion-canted, wand controlled T-foils-would require a change in the beam rule and maybe other rules for scantlings. The windward, canted T-foil would also have to retract-not because of any rule, but to reduce drag.

Four foils in the water is a non-starter....The refined UptiP foil-using a single main foil and two rudder T-foils is the best catamaran foil system ever invented regardless of rules-with the possible exception of a canted single wand controlled main T-foil and two rudder T foils. The single canted main T-foil(windward retracted) would also increase righting moment. But a few rules would have to be ditched to allow the canted foil-and that's not likely.

I guess it has occurred to you all by now that 'we' are not in the loop, rule-wise. They are either not published or are subject to repeated change - usually both!.....

So bearing that in mind; the same set of limits were originally to apply to AC35, as far as 4 x foiling goes, as applied in AC34 - except the significant time restriction has been reduced - twice.... see (d) - ( was 30 seconds in the AC72 Class Rule )

AC62 Class Rule V 1.0

11.13 Daggerboards shall not be used to generate force for the purpose or effect of increasing
righting moment when used on the windward side of an AC62 Yacht. This Rule 11.13 does not apply:

(a) when the daggerboards are fully retracted (as per Rule 11.5);
(b] prior to starting, as defined in RRSAC;
(c] when the windward daggerboard inadvertently penetrates the surface of the water for less than 15 continuous seconds;
(d) when the AC62 Yacht is within 15 seconds prior to and after tacking or gybing; or
(e) when the AC62 Yacht is taking a penalty.

AC Class Rule V 1.0

11.13. Daggerboards shall not be used to generate force for the purpose or effect of increasing
righting moment when used on the windward side of an AC Class Yacht. This Rule 11.13 does not apply:

(a) when the daggerboards are fully retracted (as per Rule 11.5);

(b] prior to starting, as defined in RRSAC;
(c] when the windward daggerboard inadvertently penetrates the surface of the water for less than 10 continuous seconds;
(d) when the AC Class Yacht is within 10 seconds prior to and after tacking or gybing; or
(e) when the AC Class Yacht is taking a penalty.

So shag about with boards for 60 seconds max while tacking and gybing the 72, but you only have 20 seconds to sort yourself out from now on....

--

NUMECA FINE/Marine Software and Penguin Computing Help ORACLE TEAM USA Prepare for America's Cup

May 6, 2015 5:05 AM

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (PRWEB) May 06, 2015

NUMECA and Penguin Computing are proud to announce that ORACLE TEAM USA is currently utilizing Penguin Computing on Demand (POD) in conjunction with NUMECA's FINE/Marine computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software for hydrodynamic modeling capability.

POD is a public HPC cloud service that provides on-demand, high-performance supercomputing capabilities on a pay-as-you-go basis. ORACLE TEAM USA is using Penguin Computing's cloud to launch 200 to 500 FINE/Marine CFD runs per week, enabling them to optimize the design of their hydrofoil and hull, as well as perform aerodynamic modeling of the sail for their America's Cup racing boat.

"We appreciate the consistent quality of the cores that are being made available to us by Penguin Computing, enabling us flexibility in terms of volume load. The interactive framework is convenient to implement and allows us to use POD not only for solving, but also for pre- and post-processing," said Len Imas, senior CFD engineer for ORACLE TEAM USA.

As opposed to the physical testing of designs, which America's Cup competitors used to rely on, the role of CFD modeling and the capabilities provided by software providers such as NUMECA has grown increasingly important in the past 15 years. One reason for this change is the flexibility in improving designs-- being able to turn over a variety of designs quickly in a computational environment--instead of contending with the time constraints of re-testing a physical model in a tank under different conditions. By utilizing POD in conjunction with FINE/Marine, ORACLE TEAM USA has not only obtained the best solver speed in the marine hydrodynamics industry, but also found an HPC environment compatible with their computational needs.

"Penguin Computing's POD HPC service is designed to take the complexity and high costs out of cloud computing," said Victor Gregorio, VP/GM of Cloud Services at Penguin Computing. "We are very proud to have NUMECA as a POD partner and to offer on-demand, reliable supercomputing solutions to NUMECA customers like ORACLE TEAM USA."

http://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=10526553

There's something very amusing about Tienpont replacing someone going to OTBOT given his history there. What a tangled web professional sailing can be.

Larry drops the price of an (budget) AC campaign betting on another 70 years...

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_28076494/lamm-making-way-young

Oracle founder and America's Cup financier Larry Ellison, who hopes to live forever, has found a new calling for his outsized ego: Cure death. Or, failing that, extend life spans to 150 years. With an estimated net worth of $54 billion, Ellison has donated $450 million to anti-aging research.

^

Well worth reading, thanks. Unbelievably primitive thinking - compare with Gates and Jobs

There's a long history of Machiavellian super rich men wanting to live forever.

--

NUMECA FINE/Marine Software and Penguin Computing Help ORACLE TEAM USA Prepare for America's Cup

May 6, 2015 5:05 AM

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (PRWEB) May 06, 2015

NUMECA and Penguin Computing are proud to announce that ORACLE TEAM USA is currently utilizing Penguin Computing on Demand (POD) in conjunction with NUMECA's FINE/Marine computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software for hydrodynamic modeling capability.

POD is a public HPC cloud service that provides on-demand, high-performance supercomputing capabilities on a pay-as-you-go basis. ORACLE TEAM USA is using Penguin Computing's cloud to launch 200 to 500 FINE/Marine CFD runs per week, enabling them to optimize the design of their hydrofoil and hull, as well as perform aerodynamic modeling of the sail for their America's Cup racing boat.

"We appreciate the consistent quality of the cores that are being made available to us by Penguin Computing, enabling us flexibility in terms of volume load. The interactive framework is convenient to implement and allows us to use POD not only for solving, but also for pre- and post-processing," said Len Imas, senior CFD engineer for ORACLE TEAM USA.

As opposed to the physical testing of designs, which America's Cup competitors used to rely on, the role of CFD modeling and the capabilities provided by software providers such as NUMECA has grown increasingly important in the past 15 years. One reason for this change is the flexibility in improving designs-- being able to turn over a variety of designs quickly in a computational environment--instead of contending with the time constraints of re-testing a physical model in a tank under different conditions. By utilizing POD in conjunction with FINE/Marine, ORACLE TEAM USA has not only obtained the best solver speed in the marine hydrodynamics industry, but also found an HPC environment compatible with their computational needs.

"Penguin Computing's POD HPC service is designed to take the complexity and high costs out of cloud computing," said Victor Gregorio, VP/GM of Cloud Services at Penguin Computing. "We are very proud to have NUMECA as a POD partner and to offer on-demand, reliable supercomputing solutions to NUMECA customers like ORACLE TEAM USA."

http://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=10526553

So team China can forgo an R&D budget and just hack the cloud instead. Brilliant!

On the official site:

m408_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14

Strange, the AC45T at 37,8 kts is not faster than the GC32 top speed.

And let us remember that some big tris cruise at 40 kts on the ocean.

Let's hope the AC48 can get close to 50 kts

On the official site:

Is this not an upwind speed and therefore quicker then the AC72?

On the official site:

If they have rounded Mark 4 they would now be heading back up wind if they are racing the same course as the Cup...

You don't think you might be reading the teensiest bit much into a publicity still?

On the official site:

Top speed is likely to be limited by foil cavitation.

Anything close to 40 kts is in the range where cavitation is a real challenge.

These boats need "all around" foil performance. This significantly limits you when you try to design foils that limit the impact of cavitation at high speed.

Faster VMG may trade off better angle for less speed just to limit the impact of cavitation.

Why is this assumed to be AC45S top speed? Does a GC32 do more than 37kts all the time? It took a few years for the GC to reach it's current potential. Even the test boats are only a few months (weeks) in the water, a ways to go before they squeeze top speeds out of them.

On the official site:

If it's foiling, it's sailing upwind....

Why is this assumed to be AC45S top speed? Does a GC32 do more than 37kts all the time? It took a few years for the GC to reach it's current potential. Even the test boats are only a few months (weeks) in the water, a ways to go before they squeeze top speeds out of them.

38 kts is the claimed GC top speed. Why would we assume 37,8 is the T average speed ?

The T is a beast compared to the GC: wider, more powerful, better aero, wing, sophisticated foil control, elaborated foil, energy storage. So, if confirmed, why could the GC top the AC45 ?

The AC45F did not do very well too in the tour de Belle Ile while the GC won the small race. Could the wing be a handicap ?

The GC crew claim that the sooner they can reef the faster they are, it lowers the CoG and improves the heeling moment.

We just need more data now.

Tdbi is not a reliable measure of anything

+1

I'm sure FC was very conservative - it would have been MONUMENTALLY stupid to break the boat on it's second day out with the team...

By the way that boat was an AC45F, not a T/S/X