Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Indio said:

Another flip in the next 14 days and we'll hear of damages which cannot be repaired within 4 days of the start of the LV Qualifiers.

Not racing in the Q's would help them how exactly?

anyway, I posted something imaginary about a possible mannequin above somewhere, the other pic I was thinking of was actually at :03 of the same video, so it may have been a real person; Zenaddi (sp?) was also at the back of the helm cockpit when he was a guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it a surprise the only team to capsize their AC50 is the team able to race another boat if their first gets destroyed. Maybe flipping it is a way to try write it off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, guesswho1100 said:

Isn't it a surprise the only team to capsize their AC50 is the team able to race another boat if their first gets destroyed. Maybe flipping it is a way to try write it off?

Believable, if they actually have a 2nd boat. Do they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Sailby date

They just buy the first boat out and chuck the non one design bits and add the other bits to get a second boat ?

If they are all ready then only 10days??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

@ Sailby date

They just buy the first boat out and chuck the non one design bits and add the other bits to get a second boat ?

If they are all ready then only 10days??

True dat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indio said:

What are those 10 or so boat builders they flew up doing??

Their doing ....Faaaaaassssstttttttt!... like last time.

Five cyclors and RC  adjustment from Jimmies Android phone!.... its gunner be epic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

@ Sailby date

They just buy the first boat out and chuck the non one design bits and add the other bits to get a second boat ?

If they are all ready then only 10days??

The limits are on the number of pairs of hulls anyway. If they're keeping the hulls and putting new stuff on them then it's not a new boat as far as that restriction is concerned. It's also only damage to the hulls that allows them to go to a second pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on earth would you pull the helm hard to weather when your windward hull starts coming out of the water.  Should have been bearing away to control the situation. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly my first thoughts. The first capsize was exactly the same problem.

 

My only theory is that possibly the rudder somehow stalled and they were just passengers. Once they went up they dumped the wing but the jib was still cranked right in. The sheer amount of air trying to go through the slot between the jib and wing is what did them in as this is what was backwinding the wing. Surprised they don't have a big red 'dump everything' button which would have dumped the jib too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Just trying to write their boat off so they can unveil their cyclor powered boat 2.

Why bother? 

Just as easy to strip out and replace old running gear from existing boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DeRosa said:

Exactly my first thoughts. The first capsize was exactly the same problem.

 

My only theory is that possibly the rudder somehow stalled and they were just passengers. Once they went up they dumped the wing but the jib was still cranked right in. The sheer amount of air trying to go through the slot between the jib and wing is what did them in as this is what was backwinding the wing. Surprised they don't have a big red 'dump everything' button which would have dumped the jib too.

Mate, look at previous posts. AFAIK the wing sheet was slack, camber was negative and the windward rudder lost grip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Now that's on obvious blur, the sb foil; the submerged one looks untouched and suggests they can change tips

 

Maybe, but that is a hell of a lot more than the 'change whenever you like' 10% of mass.

Anything over 10 and below 30% is 'change once only throughout the life of the board' *

The colour stood out in the first stills shown ^ too, with the boat on it's side, I thought it was deliberately blurred at first

 

* 30% rule: it is unclear to me whether it's 1 change max per board (4 boards) - or 4 changes in total, 2 (or more) of which you could use on a single board if you chose to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I've seen other trimmers hiking too, forget which boats besides Oracle.

 

I posted a photo along with a 'stop hiking bitch! comment in the GTF thread. But most of those tailing ACC winches seem to do it, either because it's just too difficult to do while tucked down, or because that's how they have done it since they started in dinghys. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

 

The airflow simulation footage is interesting, everything else on the boat is slippery to the point of barely making a ripple, the grinders are making a mighty great mess of that perfection!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Boybland said:

The airflow simulation footage is interesting, everything else on the boat is slippery to the point of barely making a ripple, the grinders are making a mighty great mess of that perfection!

yea. Would be interesting to see the bike airflow sim. It would imagine very different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boybland said:

The airflow simulation footage is interesting, everything else on the boat is slippery to the point of barely making a ripple, the grinders are making a mighty great mess of that perfection!

And the sim has them kneeling where they are always standing whilst grinding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dazz said:

Why on earth would you pull the helm hard to weather when your windward hull starts coming out of the water.  Should have been bearing away to control the situation. 

 

 

Turning head to wind and attempting to de-power the sail.

Bearing away can be iffy at the best of times, let alone in these boats, watch some of the top mark roundings from the ACWS or the San Francisco cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weta27 said:

Very good

I'm watching the Blues smashing the OR-sponsored  South African Super Rugby team...

The CheetahsB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cyclor Destroyer said:

He may be a coward TRG but he's out there doing it and not defacing pictures with child quality pictures drawn by a  weirdo pervert!... for a hobby.

 

Good work! That should see the sites PC goodie goodies report you again!

 

 

Have you worked out how to change the title above your avatar yet, or are you too much of a fool to do so? You're weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Indio said:

I'm watching the Blues smashing the OR-sponsored  South African Super Rugby team...

The CheetahsB)

 Oh jeez. It'll be everything soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night at RBYC, Oracle guys confirmed that they are "experimenting" with a rear facing cyclist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that's a sign of how confident Oracle are, they're not even going to bother having their tactician look ahead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ezyb said:

I guess that's a sign of how confident Oracle are, they're not even going to bother having their tactician look ahead!

Funny.

Well we at least have a non-ETNZ connected source to corroborate (thanks KenK), it swings the balance to all-the-way true that they are serious about at least testing it.

I wonder if looking backwards actually is better, and/or if it's the only way it can be made to fit in that cockpit without too much interference for the helm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Facing aft will be the best way to keep an eye on ETNZ during the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, See Level said:

Facing aft will be the best way to keep an eye on ETNZ during the race.

Nah, Oracle's new fine pitch control to avoid pitch-poling capsizes:

If the person facing aft can no longer see the horizon, he adjusts the foils to make the boat  more nose up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, enigmatically said:

Nah, Oracle's new fine pitch control to avoid pitch-poling capsizes:

If the person facing aft can no longer see the horizon, he adjusts the foils to make the boat  more nose up

That's a very cunning move by Team OR XEROX... And all legal too!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone else think that for oracle changing their boat configuration now in this late stage is extremely risky?

I know that the last cycle, they did some modifications but when they did that, they had nothing to lose as they were 1 race away from losing.

but now, the game hasn't even started and they're making some serious changes.

I guess in a way, the CHALLENGER series is a test/ mock race for them to trial out new things and revert back but still... i think it's a huge risk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dent said:

anyone else think that for oracle changing their boat configuration now in this late stage is extremely risky?

 

 

Not as big a risk as not trying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something wrong here - but I can't put my finger on it....??m1343_crop169005_1280x720_14944519235206

m1341_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

m1342_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

I take it the three stayed in their cockpits to help trim the wing during recovery?

But in the end they just pulled her over didn't they, rather than 'flying' her upright french-style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Indio said:

That's a very cunning move by Team OR XEROX... And all legal too!! 

It took me 12 hours but I have finally worked out your Xerox humour!

But don't worry I will not copy you, I will give you the credit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Not as big a risk as not trying it.

This is certainly true if you know your slower than one of the challengers, nothing will lose you the cup faster than doing nothing when you know someone is already quicker than you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Not as big a risk as not trying it.

In the CNN vid yesterday the Engineer Stuart Meurer claimed that they knew about TNZ cycles and as defender could not take a risky move to go that way

"you don't really want to take a big risk, especially as a defender"

 

16.40

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/sports/2017/05/11/bermuda-35th-americas-cup-preview-oracle-team-usa-acc-boats-mainsail-may-2017-spc.cnn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nav said:

There's something wrong here - but I can't put my finger on it....??m1343_crop169005_1280x720_14944519235206

m1341_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

m1342_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

I take it the three stayed in their cockpits to help trim the wing during recovery?

But in the end they just pulled her over didn't they, rather than 'flying' her upright french-style?

Those pics look just perfect to me nav! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nav said:

Yeah, but why was the point...

Just a rehearsal. practise for the tow boats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OTUSA, cutting edge technology - in Photoshopping! Are they going to blur out the cyclist as well???

m1343_crop169005_1280x720_14944519235206

If he's so good, maybe they should blur out Jimmy. How stupid do they think we are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, See Level said:

Facing aft will be the best way to keep an eye on ETNZ during the race.

Fuck! That's innovative by OR! Sailing backwards...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, nav said:

Yeah, but why was the point...

What's the easiest way down? Slip and you risk breaking something - possibly yourself, and possible something more important. Maybe that's all it is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that Aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, carbon this, titanium that....    and they stll have rope netting which is about as aerodynamic as Trumps new wall!

 

Just dumb.

 

Why has OR capsized the most?...   cause they are pushing the lmits.!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

What's the easiest way down? Slip and you risk breaking something - possibly yourself, and possible something more important. Maybe that's all it is?

My best guess too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, weta27 said:

OTUSA, cutting edge technology - in Photoshopping! Are they going to blur out the cyclist as well???

m1343_crop169005_1280x720_14944519235206

If he's so good, maybe they should blur out Jimmy. How stupid do they think we are?

At least there is something to see to then blur.

 

ETNZ are cowering away in the shed telling everyone.. they are holding back because they have great kit they need to hide.

 

Its a bit like haveing a Veyron in the garage because it s too fast for the road, and thiefs may see it.

 

ETNZ either have iseues ( why would you not be pushin forward and evolving your boat and crew work) or they are changing stuff fast.

 

Being out of the loop and off the water = failure....   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

What's the easiest way down? Slip and you risk breaking something - possibly yourself, and possible something more important. Maybe that's all it is?

Well I thought I had covered all that. You obviously can't do anything from the 'lower' cockpits as they are flooded. So if you want to control and use the wing to right the boat you have to stay put. And if you look at the videos - they did reposition the wing. But as I mentioned, in the end they didn't fly it up, just yanked it (no pun intended) over.

Yes I can see that in the initial moments you would risk damaging the wing and/or yourself by a hasty exit - but those ejected managed to climb down the netting easily enough so no reason the other three couldn't have done so later.

As to the question about the 'trump-wall' netting, I believe it is specified for exactly that reason, to be climbable. IIRC at one point clip-in lowering devices were even included in required crew kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nav said:

There's something wrong here - but I can't put my finger on it....??

No worries, I got this...

better?

m1343_crop169005_1280x720_14944519235206.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The right colour lines even...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nutta said:

The right colour lines even...

Where's the uptip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somone stole the uptips to fulfill their own peculiar fetish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sailing Anarchy. said:

Doug where tge hell are you! We need a model trimaran photo reference now!

To be fair the DL model was probably less tippy than OR seems to be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for the new Oracle #Tech Tuesday video, just to troll Kiwi fans " We've installed a new Bicycle grinding station in the back of the boat, which is an idea the Swedish developed in the 70's. Its something we've tested before and always saw as a critical part of the Americas Cup. It was always part of our plan to install Bicycle grinders" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ~Stingray~ said:

F*ck, those yellow foils up in the wind are incredible. What was the AWA when it flipped compared to when it got righted? 

InvisiFoils - amazing .. biggest break-though in foiling technology ever. 

Bet they have a Cd of 0.00. All the other teams are f'd now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Americas-Cup---Coutts-all-but-confirms-Oracle-Team-USA-adding-cyclors/153707?source=twitter

America's Cup - Coutts all but confirms Oracle Team USA adding cyclors

In the latest video blog from Bermuda, Oracle Team USA CEO, Russell Coutts is coy about the addition of cyclors to Oracle Team USA's AC50, saying that the Defender is looking at additional grinding capacity.

This involves adding a third grinding position into the AC50 rather than replacement of the existing pedestals.

In his other role as CEO of the America's Cup Events Authority, Russell Coutts updates on progress with the construction of America's Cup facilities in Bermuda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Americas-Cup---Coutts-all-but-confirms-Oracle-Team-USA-adding-cyclors/153707?source=twitter

America's Cup - Coutts all but confirms Oracle Team USA adding cyclors

In the latest video blog from Bermuda, Oracle Team USA CEO, Russell Coutts is coy about the addition of cyclors to Oracle Team USA's AC50, saying that the Defender is looking at additional grinding capacity.

This involves adding a third grinding position into the AC50 rather than replacement of the existing pedestals.

In his other role as CEO of the America's Cup Events Authority, Russell Coutts updates on progress with the construction of America's Cup facilities in Bermuda.

Copy cat bastards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do Oracle supporters feel when they see their team copying another teams approach even though previously they'd come out saying that approach had been considered and then discarded? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

How do Oracle supporters feel when they see their team copying another teams approach even though previously they'd come out saying that approach had been considered and then discarded? 

It's just blood in the water for all the other teams.......scent of desperation one thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kaihoe said:

It's just blood in the water for all the other teams.......scent of desperation one thinks.

Yeah but I'm asking how these fans feel about it. 

If my team was seen to copy another, I'd feel a bit lame about it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

How do Oracle supporters feel when they see their team copying another teams approach even though previously they'd come out saying that approach had been considered and then discarded? 

What do you want them to say, something like "Oh My God, despite what everyone originally thought we now have to recognize that Kiwis are a brilliant race after all!" ? :) Fine, wallow in that if it makes you feel superior. :)

That leg power is stronger than arm power is hardly new-to-this-world breakthrough science, even in AC history. If Oracle can reconsider and take advantage of it in a way that suits their systems, well there's nothing actually too ground-shaking about it. Teams have been trying to out-do each other forever, leap frogging each other in sails and sailing techniques and everything else imaginable, and yes NZ teams do it too.

There's no Intellectual Protocol about this age-old idea either, Oracle will just have to decide carefully if it is worth the change this late in the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And they're trying to divert attention from their own teams shortcomings by continuously spouting misinformation from "sources" that tell them ETNZ's foil program has been severely affected by the rule change regarding foils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares how fans feel? The big question is why would OR take such an incredible 11th hour risk (if indeed they are)? Did they suddenly discover a weakness after months of testing? Did they discover a potential performance gain, but one that required more power? I think the first scenario is pretty unlikely, but who knows. As for the second, it would need to be a pretty significant gain to compensate for the logistical difficulties of making the change to pedlos, but OR certainly have been thru this before when they converted their first boat in AC34 from archimedean to foiling mid-build. 

I'm really curious - I definitely didn't expect this a few weeks before the event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

How do Oracle supporters feel when they see their team copying another teams approach even though previously they'd come out saying that approach had been considered and then discarded? 

Dougie's relatives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrdobalina said:

How do Oracle supporters feel when they see their team copying another teams approach even though previously they'd come out saying that approach had been considered and then discarded? 

I should think they'd be delighted. Worked for them pretty well in AC34, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone answer me this...why do Oraface blur out the foils, when surely there must be other teams following the boat and able to take photos of the Oraface boat?? Maybe the next time they park it on its side they should bring out the curtains they bring out when a horse has to be put down after a fall or heart failure!!??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Can anyone answer me this...why do Oraface blur out the foils, when surely there must be other teams following the boat and able to take photos of the Oraface boat?? Maybe the next time they park it on its side they should bring out the curtains they bring out when a horse has to be put down after a fall or heart failure!!??

Just so they dont have Larry roaring 'What the fuck are you showing them all the details of DL's FOILZ, i've paid a fucking fortune for this shit DELETE THIS SHIT NOW!!'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, surfsailor said:

Who cares how fans feel? The big question is why would OR take such an incredible 11th hour risk (if indeed they are)? Did they suddenly discover a weakness after months of testing? Did they discover a potential performance gain, but one that required more power? I think the first scenario is pretty unlikely, but who knows. As for the second, it would need to be a pretty significant gain to compensate for the logistical difficulties of making the change to pedlos, but OR certainly have been thru this before when they converted their first boat in AC34 from archimedean to foiling mid-build. 

I'm really curious - I definitely didn't expect this a few weeks before the event.

Team OR XEROX have stated publicly all along that power was at a premium for the control systems, and that it was a "balancing act". Well I guess they've realised they need to "balance" things out a bit more byt having 5 grinders instead of 4 - that's an acknowledgement that they need more power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I should think they'd be delighted. Worked for them pretty well in AC34, after all.

You mean cheated??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Indio said:

You mean cheated??

No. I do NOT mean cheated. You need to either prove it or, STFU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

No. I do NOT mean cheated. You need to either prove it or, STFU.

They cheated, sunshine! The "proof" is in the public domain if you care to look. They didn't win because they copied ETNZ's tractor - OR already had a fast boat!! So shove that up your butt!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Can anyone answer me this...why do Oraface blur out the foils, when surely there must be other teams following the boat and able to take photos of the Oraface boat?? Maybe the next time they park it on its side they should bring out the curtains they bring out when a horse has to be put down after a fall or heart failure!!??

They're scared of Doug Lord..but seriously, hope their cloaking technology is commercially available to all teams or Deano will be protesting like crazy!!

m1343_crop169005_1280x720_14944519235206

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indio said:

They cheated, sunshine! The "proof" is in the public domain if you care to look. They didn't win because they copied ETNZ's tractor - OR already had a fast boat!! So shove that up your butt!!

C'mon, Indio.  If by, "The "proof" is in the public domain if you care to look", you mean the endless crap about cheating I wade through here, I've seen no actual proof, whatsoever. All I see is whining fucking Kiwis who can't let the past go. Here's a question for you: Where would ETNZ be right now, if they'd not left AC34 behind and go on with the job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

No. I do NOT mean cheated. You need to either prove it or, STFU.

Precisely.

I told him to put up or shutvup and so he put me on ignore.

Rather a good outcome really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reality is that Indio is the one person on here who has laid out a theory, including annotated diagrams, on how OR might have got illegal hydraulic controls through the MC, and the timelines of how protests were managed.  There are a few people in this place who can genuinely contribute to the debate beyond meaningless speculation and repeating ad infinitum the musings of others and Indio is one of them.  

Sure you might not think OR cheated (you might be right, it's possible they didn't) sure you might think there is no way such a thing could be covered up (you'd be wrong, this shit happens all over the place), but simply shouting put up or shut up, when Indio repeatedly has 'put up', shows a lack of understanding on what has been written here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrdobalina said:

How do Oracle supporters feel when they see their team copying another teams approach even though previously they'd come out saying that approach had been considered and then discarded? 

I thank Uncle Larry for writing the checks to keep us on the leading edge.

Getting it first doesn't count - see AC34 - doing it the best during the Cup finals is __ALL__ that counts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Barnyb said:

 

In the latest video blog from Bermuda, Oracle Team USA CEO, Russell Coutts is coy about the addition of cyclors to Oracle Team USA's AC50, saying that the Defender is looking at additional grinding capacity.

This involves adding a third grinding position into the AC50 rather than replacement of the existing pedestals.

In his other role as CEO of the America's Cup Events Authority, Russell Coutts updates on progress with the construction of America's Cup facilities in Bermuda.

 

Sir Russ does not appear anywhere in the OTUSA team listings that I have seen

He said 'they' are doing this, 'they' are doing that - in the video when speaking about OTUSA.

Does RG make this point about the two hats deliberately or in error (or both;)) ?

If RG is right, why are OTUSA publicly denying their own CEO?

Mostly he seems to go out and do package deals for sponsorship that covers 'his' team, his proxy Challenger team and his event, all in one go - so three hats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, aucklander said:

The reality is that Indio is the one person on here who has laid out a theory, including annotated diagrams, on how OR might have got illegal hydraulic controls through the MC, and the timelines of how protests were managed.  There are a few people in this place who can genuinely contribute to the debate beyond meaningless speculation and repeating ad infinitum the musings of others and Indio is one of them.  

Sure you might not think OR cheated (you might be right, it's possible they didn't) sure you might think there is no way such a thing could be covered up (you'd be wrong, this shit happens all over the place), but simply shouting put up or shut up, when Indio repeatedly has 'put up', shows a lack of understanding on what has been written here. 

He hasn't put up and he sure as shit hasn't shut up.

If he were to simply say that he thinks they cheated then that would be fine. However he states it as a categorical fact. It is not and so he is full of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiwis are more advanced technically than Oracle that's why they were late to Bermuda. Why does NZ keep coming up with the ideas? Coutts has run his race I think,. The fact that Oracle are going with the bikes now says a lot and it makes you wonder where it leaves the other teams? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Happie Jack said:

Anyone with access to old Time magazines may wish to grab a pre AC issue from 1967 where they go through what makes Intrepid a superyacht, including some top drawings of a 2 a side cyclor bank to replace coffee grinders.

Maybe hype but in concept is a great claim over the concept.

Why would they have needed cyclors back in 1967.

Hydraulics??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Happie Jack said:

Yep the world in New Zeland in 1967 would have been like the 1800s anywhere else. That AC however was at a time of advancement and putting folks into space, lolz.

Imagine what sailboats will be like in 2067.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Yachting 1967 NZ was nothing like the 1800's.

We had plenty of new development in terms of lightweight hulls, fin keels, better more efficient rigs and sail plans.

In fact, I'd say AC developments were a hell of a lot closer to "mainstream" yachting then, than they are today. 

What else ya got?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sclarke said:

And they're trying to divert attention from their own teams shortcomings by continuously spouting misinformation from "sources" that tell them ETNZ's foil program has been severely affected by the rule change regarding foils.

The only ones I have heard claim that are ETNZ fans on here

They all copy the best sources they can find. There is not much new under the sun. Some are better than others at it though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Round Foils (otherwise known as AP(all purpose foils):

from "The Winning Foils" by dl--

Jack Griffin says all the teams have very light air boards "and what they call their AP(all purpose) boards". He recounts Oracle racing Team Japan in light air using their AP boards while TJ used their "light air" foils-he says Oracle won. Hmmmm,  lets see: in preliminary racing Oracle used an allround set of foils to beat Japan which was using specialist light air foils!  No shit!  Damn, ain't dat sumtin....... Lets see about 20 or so genius's in this thread said that was impossible! Yeah, right.....

listen about 52 min in:

http://www.oceansailingpodcast.com/podcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

All Round Foils (otherwise known as AP(all purpose foils):

from "The Winning Foils" by dl--

Jack Griffin says all the teams have very light air boards "and what they call their AP(all purpose) boards". He recounts Oracle racing Team Japan in light air using their AP boards while TJ used their "light air" foils-he says Oracle won. Hmmmm,  lets see: in preliminary racing Oracle used an allround set of foils to beat Japan which was using specialist light air foils!  No shit!  Damn, ain't dat sumtin....... Lets see about 20 or so genius's in this thread said that was impossible! Yeah, right.....

listen about 52 min in:

http://www.oceansailingpodcast.com/podcast

As he may also " recall " team Japan was not that very sharp in the beginning and you are also comparing them against a two time defending Americas Cup team . 

The only thing interesting to,see would have been the result if the teams switched boats and the results were the same .

nothing to see here , please move along . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done there by 'One Data Point Doug'!

Obviously you are confused (overjoyed) by the name and (deliberately) miss the big picture...because Jack G (for what it's worth) says...

all the teams have very light air boards and a different 2nd set of boards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites