Anyway, nice photos here of the AC45 first foiling day.

First day flying on AC45

Thanks for the shots.

AC45s can't foil - gotta call it something else...

Didn't think a simple comment would rile the trolls, oh well.

You come here with the clear desire to troll and, cry baby, complain because you are trolled. LMAO :) .

First day flying on AC45

m327_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14
m326_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14

Edit. BTW, didn't JS tell us he wouldn't train for a while ?

Looks like everyone wants a ride. .whats the count, 7 helmets?

m325_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14

But the first bear-away we were up on the foils and sailing very stable. So it was definitely a very good day. We ticked a lot of boxes.

Not surprised, foils look quite conservative

But the first bear-away we were up on the foils and sailing very stable. So it was definitely a very good day. We ticked a lot of boxes.

Think the Oracle design team deserves a big shout out. A few years ago nobody would have conceived of a flying wing sailed cat.

This one seems to be working perfectly first try - amazing stuff. Wow - well done.

...but let's see if they can match Artemis in their windward ability.

Yes he did didn't he. Made a little video about it and everything. But now here he is again. Maybe he's training up until the surgery happens. I guess not everything to do with the cup is a conspiracy, it just all seems like it.

Think the Oracle design team deserves a big shout out. A few years ago nobody would have conceived of a flying wing sailed cat.

This one seems to be working perfectly first try - amazing stuff. Wow - well done.

Floater don't think I'm stalking you but wow you come out with some amusing stuff.

Several years ago (not sure where you were then) ETNZ designed built and had working out of the box the first AC foiler - and most definitely before anyone apart from them imagined it could be done. After that 2 other teams tried to do it on their own, both failed - even with a working example in front of them. Oracle still couldn't get it right on their second boat, and simply copied the exact foil placement from ETNZ eventually.

To say that their getting a reworked 45 to foil properly is anything other than as should be expected of any semi-competent team is :lol: Hell it's not even the first this week!

But since no one is doing PR anymore - I'm sure OTUSA is pleased that you have them covered.

r - and most definitely before anyone apart from them imagined it could be done. .

Wrong.......

Yes he did didn't he. Made a little video about it and everything. But now here he is again. Maybe he's training up until the surgery happens. I guess not everything to do with the cup is a conspiracy, it just all seems like it.

Drama Queen!

^ One other thing, he's trying to keep one hand on the cheque book wheel!

(he's looking old!)

(he's looking old!)

He's 35. I wish I looked that old.

(he's looking old!)

Probably aged less than DB after the famous comeback.

Floater don't think I'm stalking you but wow you come out with some amusing stuff.

Several years ago (not sure where you were then) ETNZ designed built and had working out of the box the first AC foiler - and most definitely before anyone apart from them imagined it could be done. After that 2 other teams tried to do it on their own, both failed - even with a working example in front of them. Oracle still couldn't get it right on their second boat, and simply copied the exact foil placement from ETNZ eventually.

To say that their getting a reworked 45 to foil properly is anything other than as should be expected of any semi-competent team is :lol: Hell it's not even the first this week!

But since no one is doing PR anymore - I'm sure OTUSA is pleased that you have them covered.

Working out of the box was it - several years ago?

My, my, I was thinking that quite a lot of R&D, and trial and error, was required to achieve that first flight. Perhaps I have confused Richard Pierce with Pete Melvin.

My point of view is that it's damned impressive that the designer's methodology and understanding have progressed to the point where the sail boat flies - first time - right out of the box.

But I had the benefit of seeing it happen, and it was seemingly without flaw.

Got some sun coming out now - should get a breeze today...

First day flying on AC45

Thanks for the shots.

AC45s can't foil - gotta call it something else...

Welcome.

AC45F ? F45 ?

Right, conservative foils, set conservatively with lots of camber. They went pretty safe for the first day.

Nice catch, I tried earlier but didn't spot them.

Where on the Bay, southwest of Alcatraz in easy zoom-view of the cam?

Sorry - I think you just missed them. Looks like not enough wind today - they headed in.

Anyone else have issues with that webcam link? It screws my system up for some reason - has worked fine in the past.

didn't work in Chrome, only FF

If some find that anarchists are negative against OTUSA, read what people write on their official Facebook page today as the team announces they leave soon for Bermuda:

post-43482-0-30749600-1424302337_thumb.png

Oh that is funny..

From FB:

Should have stayed in San Francisco.
Yep, hard to be a fan with your defense in Bermuda.
Larry Ellison could care less about fans and actually the defense of the cup on native soil. They should rename it the Ellison A-Hole Cup....
Screw you, Larry! I hope you find the triangle.
Follow the Money ,,,
I know it won't matter to the "powers that be" but count me as one less spectator that you won't have in Bermuda. This decision to race there was, if not the worst, certainly one of the worst decisions in any sport's history. I mean what were you thinking? San Francisco has it all...
How long will you be training on the Bay?
What a bunch of negative disgusting men. I bet you will all be watching. Cheering for you America.
Train hard boys.
Wish you were defending America's cup in AMERICA!!!
What state is Bermuda in?
. So lame.

- the wit squandered on facebook.

No wonder JS has aged. Didn't affect his sailing today though.

Foiling in 7-8 knots wind-damn good......thanks Stingray!

If some find that anarchists are negative against OTUSA, read what people write on their official Facebook page today as the team announces they leave soon for Bermuda:

You of all people don't need to look to others to justify your constantly negative opinions of OTUSA.

They've been well documented for several years here - quit being such a spineless chicken shit and man up you worm.

The front beam has been clearly put forward and Xlot will be pleased to notice that the foil seems more forward than the AC72. The rudder foil is very deep.

I think JS is helming, do you see the same thing ?

This is yesterday. A straightforward downwind run.

If they post a video from today - it should be eye-popping. I'll bet the team is stoked.

To be honest- I thought Artemis had a weapon, but what Oracle did today - it's astonishing its only their first day with breeze and second day sailing.

Learning curve just got climbed.

This is yesterday. A straightforward downwind run.

If they post a video from today - it should be eye-popping. I'll bet the team is stoked.

To be honest- I thought Artemis had a weapon, but what Oracle did today - it's astonishing its only their first day with breeze and second day sailing.

Learning curve just got climbed.

Give us a break. It's not like these guys have never flown big cats before.

The front beam has been clearly put forward and Xlot will be pleased to notice that the foil seems more forward than the AC72. The rudder foil is very deep.

i see a bearaway with the AOA set very negative..boat is flat to the WL...nice

Anyone else have issues with that webcam link? It screws my system up for some reason - has worked fine in the past.

didn't work in Chrome, only FF

Thanks. I'll try a different browser.

That is an amazing shot - huge. Well done

I agree on gimpy JS driving.

Rudders would be illegal on a 62 AFAIK (10.2) - just going for max footprint on this beast.

Three legged as you say - ETNZ style foils at the moment - pretty agricultural really :D

10991626_10153597717184746_1042091475933

^

Re 10.2 : you mean no rudder portion aft of transom?

And huge/red steering wheels are dorky

^

Re 10.2 : you mean no rudder portion aft of transom?

And huge/red steering wheels are dorky

Yep - that's the one.....(but of course I don't have the latest/amended rule)

Wheel - & the foil control buttons alone have the same aero-drag as the rest of the boat!

The foil box is huge, obviously to tilt the foil but I wonder if they can also position it backward.

Do you mean they can slide the whole box fore and aft - looking for the 'sweet-spot' they'll use for the 62?

The front beam has been clearly put forward and Xlot will be pleased to notice that the foil seems more forward than the AC72.

ce7f10943f78d4d65e38592a639d0992_zps456d

Wow! Look how far back the wing step sits on the longeron - as opposed to the standard AC45 where it's on the main cross-beam, of course. Meaning the cross-beam and the boards with it have been moved forward, indeed.

Is it OTUSA's AC45 Turbo that may, according to the FP, be put under arrest? It would be impossible to make this stuff up!

^ OK, a lawsuit aimed to caused maximum disruption. Any chance this is related to Matt Mitchell's suit?

^ OK, a lawsuit aimed to caused maximum disruption. Any chance this is related to Matt Mitchell's suit?

Am not seeing any connection. All it says is about the discharge is

".. on January 16, 2015 defendant 10 Oracle Racing, Inc. wrongfully and without cause, breached its contractual obligations to plaintiff by discharging plaintiff from performing his contractual services as a seaman by sending plaintiff a letter of discharge dated January 16, 2015."

Wrt disruption, well: this could be just the tip of the financial iceberg IF the discharge was not done properly/legally and IF others were discharged at the time too - say perhaps for budget-trimming reasons?

Not so sure which boat he's referring to? Apart from slipping in 'foiling' all the other language is AC34 era, as is his complaint. He should have used a hull number to really pin a specific boat down - a 'sail' number for a class that no longer physically exists :lol:

Not so sure which boat he's referring to? Apart from slipping in 'foiling' all the other language is AC34 era, as is his complaint. He should have used a hull number to really pin a specific boat down - a 'sail' number for a class that no longer physically exists :lol:

This boat is "4" and the complaint refers to it being at P80, and it was filed only 6 days ago, so... I bet he is referring to the newly-rebuilt-relaunched 4.

It's being done as leverage to collect the $750K being demanded.

I see this as just a guy who wants to get paid per his contract.

But there is a common theme here with Russell treating his employees badly.

This boat is "4" and the complaint refers to it being at P80, and it was filed only 6 days ago, so... I bet he is referring to the newly-rebuilt-relaunched 4.

But it does make you wonder if "4" (assuming there is just one of them named 4) might be converted to a OD 45F:

The defendant vessel is a 45 foot multi hull Foiling AC45 known as "4 Oracle Team USA" which defendant Oracle Racing, Inc. owns for the purpose of ORACLE TEAM USA entering the America's Cup World Series commencing in June 2015 and other purposes. Said vessel is documented through the America's Cup Event Authority.

The complaint mentions it's use in ACWS.

m333_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14

Catch us if you can pigs!

Tell him to come pi

Give him ac72 B1.

Tell him to come pick it up. Bring a trailer.

Tell him to come pi

Give him ac72 B1.

Tell him to come pick it up. Bring a trailer.

and if he wants some spares for it just go for a walk around the SF beaches

arrested development

AC45_4racing.jpgAdd Joe Spooner to the pro sailors calling shenanigans on the already-embattled Oracle Team USA’s hiring and firing practices. From our friends at www.BoatingLaw.com, who do NOT represent the Plaintiff. You can read the full complaint here.

The America’s Cup AC45 “4 Oracle Team USA” may soon be arrested by the U.S. Marshals at its berth in San Francisco, pursuant to a lawsuit filed in Federal Court by a former crew member against Oracle Racing and the AC45 itself. Joe Spooner, Oracle Racing’s former grinder and crew for two America’s Cup titles and three Fastnet Race wins, is claiming a seaman’s lien against the vessel for approximately $725,000 in unpaid wages, plus punitive damages, for an alleged wrongful discharge by Team Oracle.

Under maritime law of the United States, the vessel itself can be sued in Federal Court and be arrested by the U.S. Marshals pending the outcome of the suit.

The AC45 foiling multihull is raced in the America’s Cup World Series and used for America’s Cup training It is a smaller version of the AC72 raced in the 2013 America’s Cup.

For more information on admiralty and maritime law, click here. We will keep you updated as this case develops.

you erroneously assume oracle /core -had a hull number and was then

required under state and federal laws to register the vessel -

I posted those issues way back and admiralty jurisdiction -you missed it and still off-

sail /number was used as the id -complaint is compliant -

The front beam has been clearly put forward and Xlot will be pleased to notice that the foil seems more forward than the AC72.

ce7f10943f78d4d65e38592a639d0992_zps456d

Wow! Look how far back the wing step sits on the longeron - as opposed to the standard AC45 where it's on the main cross-beam, of course. Meaning the cross-beam and the boards with it have been moved forward, indeed.

Correct. Do you think the wing step is at the same place or was moved aft ?

Yeah ok, whatever you say chief, how stupid of anyone to have noted the hull numbers of the AC45s as they were produced and sold. I'm sure using a graphic off an interchangeable item makes a lot more sense.

Yeah ok, whatever you say chief, how stupid of anyone to have noted the hull numbers of the AC45s as they were produced and sold. I'm sure using a graphic off an interchangeable item makes a lot more sense.

core built them in nz - and exported illegal vessels here -usa

core =ellison is on the hook

stay tuned pilgrim

stay tuned pilgrim

So go ahead and make your prediction. Is it...

Larry goes to jail?

All the ORUSA boats including Zilla are shipped over to the sheriffs parking lot?

Coutts is deported?

AC35 is cancelled?

Bermuda is the new Guantanamo?

That could be a funny list to continue.

The story is in even the WaPo now, including this

"Spooners attorney, Patricia Barlow of San Francisco, says more filings are due Friday morning."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/sailor-asks-court-to-confiscate-americas-cup-champs-boat/2015/02/19/814ca79c-b890-11e4-bc30-a4e75503948a_story.html

You just have to wonder how long it is going to be before something changes inside Oracle Racing, when the Oracle Board is going to tell Larry...Dude...you've the company name involved with cheating, lawsuits from team mates that seemingly got tossed under the bus during AC 34, and now more than 2 years before the next Cup a suit from a current team member. WTF?

Yes, a company the size of Oracle gets sued probably a couple of times a month, at least, over everything. But sponsor deals aren't supposed to attract litigation.

Good for these guys to stand up for themselves.

I posted the possibility above that it may be the tip of the financial iceberg because others may be in the same boat. It may be small for LE to deal with but yes, people running the show will be taken to account if the company is not being run properly.

Friday's filing will be interesting, my prediction again is that others may join. I bet Spooner wasn't the only one cut loose, possibly carelessly.

I'd bet the Spooner stuff turns out to be more bullshit-at least I hope it does. I doubt he has been screwed-BUT-if he has then he should fight for it.

I'd bet the Spooner stuff turns out to be more bullshit-at least I hope it does. I doubt he has been screwed-BUT-if he has then he should fight for it.

why do you doubt Joe has been screwed?

why do you doubt Joe has been screwed?

Here's my doubt:

Something in the whole Weight-Gate fiasco suggested that employees were handled through Oracle HR processes, that the OTUSA Team leverages some of the parent company departments. If that is the case, well then maybe the signed contract had contingencies we have not yet seen, that Oracle/HR would have been legally well versed in, from decades of experience in employment contracts.

But if HR at OR is instead some fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants decision-making operation, well then who knows how deep it will cut financially.

Operationally, I bet the team can overcome it even if that particular boat does get 'arrested'. They are prodigous builders, when LE exerts that willpower.

I have no doubt some employees may feel screwed but it is a bit far fetched to seize a boat.

Anyway, Larry has a tendency to be in courts for his best or worst.

stay tuned pilgrim

So go ahead and make your prediction. Is it...

Larry goes to jail?

All the ORUSA boats including Zilla are shipped over to the sheriffs parking lot?

Coutts is deported?

AC35 is cancelled?

Bermuda is the new Guantanamo?

MSP sues Oracle, takes over the company and becomes CEO. That's how he gets the AC he's threatened for 5, yes 5 years.

You wait and see - I'm sure he's at the court house now filing several cases.

I posted the possibility above that it may be the tip of the financial iceberg because others may be in the same boat. It may be small for LE to deal with but yes, people running the show will be taken to account if the company is not being run properly.

Friday's filing will be interesting, my prediction again is that others may join. I bet Spooner wasn't the only one cut loose, possibly carelessly.

It depends on if this falls under maritime law or California law, which is not clear.

California law is employment by will - good luck Joe.

Maritime law may be different.

In either case I've read and signed Oracle legal contracts, and they are pretty comprehensive which one would expect. I have a hard time believing much if any of the $750K was wages. Probably attorney greed.

I've read and signed Oracle legal contracts

^^ Are you trying to take benefits of the contracts you signed for your company ? even supplyers sign contracts now, don't inflate yourself too much :D

Their is a perfect example of a troll ignoring the most relevant points of a post - typical TC horseshit.

You'll have to explain that in english - your gibberish makes no sense as usual.

^^ Are you trying to take benefits of the contracts you signed for your company ? even supplyers sign contracts now, don't inflate yourself too much :D

Their is a perfect example of a troll ignoring the most relevant points of a post - typical TC horseshit.

You'll have to explain that in english - your gibberish makes no sense as usual.

^^ you understand very well. Was it for your company ?

"toiling" :)

It is your common practice to accuse others of what you yourself do, as is the case here as a good example.

If you can't clearly state a question in english and not gibberish, you are the one trolling.

" oh no they locked up our boat , what in the world are we going to do "

" I guess we could go use one of those over there "

My assumption is that the Ed simply isn't keeping up - and got his AC45's all mixed up. Here's a primer:

- one version doesn't fly - I suspect this is the one in question. It may have a reinforced king post.

- another version doesn't fly very well - a wrong turn by some designer (since departed?)

- the latest version flies very well thank you, and may be the fastest sailing yacht in the world - at the moment

- the fourth version doesn't yet exist, but is predicted to multiply to 8. How it flies is anybody's guess.

If you can't clearly state a question in english and not gibberish, you are the one trolling.

SWS, YOU outed yourself.

You are not a member of OTUSA, also they wouldn't pay a troll like you, you refuse to answer, and you were wearing an Oracle badge in the photo you posted a few years ago.

So it is pretty clear that you have been signing Oracle contracts because the company you work for is an Oracle supplier.

Therefore you are twice linked to Oracle, through GGYC, and as a supplier for Oracle, which explains why you don't give a shit of GGYC, why you defends Oracle against your YC, and all the rubbish you post.

Anyway, keep on trolling but all is clear.

Will you two please get a room already?

Your bickering is getting really tiresome...

^ Wow. Plow that row Jed.

10996492_794629737240741_621686259593664

Great again - who's shots may I ask? Congrats to him/her!

In fact shots are simply coming coming from their Fb page, I am not sure it is always the same photographer but they provide an amazing level of details.

Belatedly: backstays eliminated, upper shrouds brought back.

And of course, increasing distance between cross-beams is a classic way of improving platform torsional stiffness.

In either case I've read and signed Oracle legal contracts, and they are pretty comprehensive which one would expect. I have a hard time believing much if any of the $750K was wages. Probably attorney greed.

your math ain't great. 30 months x 25,000/month = 750,000. Exactly as written in the short complaint, which was clearly too tough for you to read, just as the Jones Act may be a little complicated for your chubby little head.

again - either a liar or an idiot. you decide.

Spooner's suit simply does not make sense. While California may be an "at will" state, this is a contracted position so falls under contract law. ALL employment contracts that I have ever signed (and as a consultant I have a lot of them) have clauses for early termination due to many different defined reasons. For me it was always performance based on job metrics/deliverables, but sporting contracts generally have performance clauses as well as ethics clauses as well. So it makes no sense for them to "fire without cause" because they would have to use something in the contract to make the contract null and void.

So it sounds like one of the following:

- Spooner somehow was part of the whole weightgate issue and was let go due to association (ethics clause?)

- There was some personal issue between him and another "more senior" person resulting in the termination by the "senior" person...before thinking it out

- Or...most likely...Spooner failed to hold to the terms of his contract in some way and violated some part of the contract. He might not see it that way, hence the suit, but most likely Oracle is pretty justified in the termination because the downside risk is too great.

Just seems unlikely that Oracle is simply not paying the contract out....again there are almost always more to these stories than anyone knows.

your math ain't great. 30 months x 25,000/month = 750,000. Exactly as written in the short complaint, which was clearly too tough for you to read, just as the Jones Act may be a little complicated for your chubby little head.

a liar and idiot or a paid troll (or all three) geddit

it was reasonably pleasant here while he was on sabbatical (and no, I don't mean his abandonment of his team when their backs were to the wall - I mean the more recent one) so why not make it permanent? His posts since return have been 99% abuse - so SOP.

Spooner's suit simply does not make sense. While California may be an "at will" state, this is a contracted position so falls under contract law. ALL employment contracts that I have ever signed (and as a consultant I have a lot of them) have clauses for early termination due to many different defined reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

a liar and idiot or a paid troll (or all three) geddit

it was reasonably pleasant here while he was on sabbatical (and no, I don't mean his abandonment of his team when their backs were to the wall - I mean the more recent one) so why not make it permanent? His posts since return have been 99% abuse.

His first post was to tell posters that another forum was posting better photos than SA and he accuses the others of being trolls.

I don't remember one valuable post from him, just constant stalking.

Clean....not sure how the Jones act applies in this case. At least not with regards to the employment of Spooner with regards to Oracle Racing. It is unlikely that he would be considered a "seaman" under the act since I doubt he is spending more than 30% of his time on the water (has to be actually on the ship IN the water from what I understand...shore duties do not count).

Also...even if he did get classified as a seaman, I don't think there is a lot on employment. The main focus of the act was to give "seaman" the rights to sue the owners over improper working conditions or improperly equipped boats. I don't think (again I might be wrong) it does not cover specific employment contract rights, etc.

So again, I think this comes down to contract law vs normal "at will" hiring within California. So it really comes down to the details of his contract and if ORacle racing violated them by terming his contract early. The seizure of the AC45 is simply a way to clamp down on the financial resources of Oracle before they leave the country.

Spooner's suit simply does not make sense. While California may be an "at will" state, this is a contracted position so falls under contract law. ALL employment contracts that I have ever signed (and as a consultant I have a lot of them) have clauses for early termination due to many different defined reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920