• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

This is boring

Oh I don't know. Get some popcorn and 3D glasses out and it can be really entertaining.

That is as long as you don't get sucked into their world of delusion.

2 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Some news instead? :)

Paul Bieker Moves On from the 35th America’s Cup

http://sailish.com/index.php/2017/09/22/paul-bieker-moves-on-from-the-35th-americas-cup/

Sir Russell Coutts unlikely to play any part in next event

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11927067

Thank you.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:35 PM, surfsailor said:

^FIFY Yep. And that was made possible by first knowing the facts and science, making friends with them, building the relationship, and eventually...well, you know the rest. Facts and science are a good time, let's just leave it at that.

Now compare that to your situation - grimly watching disingenuous videos made by someone named 'barfy', and bitterly clinging to ignorance and stupidity as you seeth in your mom's basement. Just doesn't sound fun to me, but to each his own.

^_^

this from a guy who designs foils controlled by weight change....

On 9/27/2017 at 8:35 PM, surfsailor said:

^FIFY Yep. And that was made possible by first knowing the facts and science, making friends with them, building the relationship, and eventually...well, you know the rest. Facts and science are a good time, let's just leave it at that.

Now compare that to your situation - grimly watching disingenuous videos made by someone named 'barfy', and bitterly clinging to ignorance and stupidity as you seeth in your mom's basement. Just doesn't sound fun to me, but to each his own.

^_^

and BTW, barfy comes from Chuck Barfoot, Barfoot Snowboards, the guy who invented snowboards, whom I respect and honour his name and was a team rider for. 

Fuckhead

5 minutes ago, barfy said:

this from a guy who designs foils controlled by weight change....

^ Hydrodynamic principles really don't care whether you adjust the AoA/cant by moving the foil, or moving the Cg. True story, brah.

3 minutes ago, barfy said:

and BTW, barfy comes from Chuck Barfoot, Barfoot Snowboards, the guy who invented snowboards, whom I respect and honour his name and was a team rider for. 

Fuckhead

I just assumed you had a bitterness related eating disorder. Pls accept my apology!

Just now, surfsailor said:

^ Hydrodynamic principles really don't care whether you adjust the AoA/cant by moving the foil, or moving the Cg. True story, brah.

true story yur controlling foil angle by pressing a button with your hidden hand at a rate of 3x a second. brah

Just now, barfy said:

true story yur controlling foil angle by pressing a button with your hidden hand at a rate of 3x a second. brah

True story - kite boards foil just fine when you're sitting on the board.

Just now, surfsailor said:

True story - kite boards foil just fine when you're sitting on the board.

i think you digress. I made one vidy, thought someone would pick up the trail and display some more evidence to proof or disprove my hypothesis.

All i got was mostly armchair shit talk.

I'm pretty much over it. Saw what I saw. maybe one day i'll cut some more vidy. maybe etnz will come clean and tell me what they really think.

Show some vidy to refute my position, or just talk.

11 minutes ago, barfy said:

i think you digress. I made one vidy, thought someone would pick up the trail and display some more evidence to proof or disprove my hypothesis.

I'm pretty much over it. Saw what I saw. maybe one day i'll cut some more vidy. maybe etnz will come clean and tell me what they really think.

When you make accusations, YOU are the one who needs to back them up. Your video edits don't show anything that remotely supports your claims of computer-controlled flight, never mind the simple reality that - on the AC 72s with no stored power - there was probably less than 25% of the hydro necessary to pull something like that off.

It's been clearly explained to you over and over - you are simply incapable of grasping reality. You can be sure that if there was even a whiff of possibility, the litigious ETNZ would be all over it - they sure sued in AC33 and AC35.

11 hours ago, barfy said:

Prove...

6 hours ago, barfy said:

i put forth a hypothesis. you all disprove it with empirical evidence. 

That's how it works.

Sorry dude. Scientific methods require he or she that proposes the hypothesis provides empirical evidence. It is after all you that have made the claim.

7 hours ago, nav said:

The claim was - that nothing could ever tarnish JS's amazing comeback......

Well that claim is still subject to scientific methodology, although the results will be less definitive.

No different to the Oracle cheated claim. Either place a caveat on the claim that it is personal opinion or break out incontrovertible evidence. 

This is why some time ago I politely suggested to nav that he publish his "findings" where Larry could find them and potentially act upon them.

Needless to say he went into his normal rant mode. 

Haven't seen any of his rants recently although to be fair it probably has something to do with putting him on ignore. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:01 PM, surfsailor said:

When you make accusations, YOU are the one who needs to back them up. Your video edits don't show anything that remotely supports your claims of computer-controlled flight, never mind the simple reality that - on the AC 72s with no stored power - there was probably less than 25% of the hydro necessary to pull something like that off.

It's been clearly explained to you over and over - you are simply incapable of grasping reality. You can be sure that if there was even a whiff of possibility, the litigious ETNZ would be all over it - they sure sued in AC33 and AC35.

The video evidence of the moving OR working foil is compelling and convincing enough for me.

More convincing than someone here saying shit like " there was probably less than 25% of the hydro necessary to pull something like that off." when they have no information to back that claim up.  No video, no research, no records.  In other words, making shit up.

On 10/1/2017 at 0:48 AM, jaysper said:

Sorry dude. Scientific methods require he or she that proposes the hypothesis provides empirical evidence. It is after all you that have made the claim.

sorry sorry dude...i did provide the evidence in the form of a video available in the public domain.

Now to refute my hypothesis someone has do provide more than smack talk.

17 minutes ago, barfy said:

sorry sorry dude...i did provide the evidence in the form of a video available in the public domain.

Now to refute my hypothesis someone has do provide more than smack talk.

But its not irrefutable proof, not by a long long shot.

I'm not saying it is nothing and nor am I stating for sure (either way) whether or not Orifice cheated - because I have no fucking clue.

What I am saying is that what you have presented is just simply not enough to allow you to claim Orifice cheating as a fact.

I have always said "i'm not sure". in the video i said this, (mostly so i wouldn't get sued :).

My comment above was that I presented a hypothesis.

And I was, and am, waiting for someone to refute it. With evidence. Attached to the rebuttal. Or support it. With evidence.

I haven't got onto looking for more evidence. If anyone can point me to a video clip to analyse I will, but life is too short and I am too busy to go poring over vids.

28 minutes ago, barfy said:

I have always said "i'm not sure". in the video i said this, (mostly so i wouldn't get sued :).

And I was, and am, waiting for someone to refute it. With evidence. Attached to the rebuttal. Or support it. With evidence.

I haven't got onto looking for more evidence. If anyone can point me to a video clip to analyse I will, but life is too short and I am too busy to go poring over vids.

tumblr_ns9rmhX7LS1uxle3jo1_1280.gif

at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11930561

and http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11929932

Sir Russell Coutts has confirmed he's unlikely to be involved with future America's Cups following Oracle's defeat to Emirates Team New Zealand in Bermuda earlier this year.

The five-time America's Cup winner - three as helmsman and two as Oracle chief executive - has returned to New Zealand but has no plans to be involved in future editions, including the 2021 event which is likely to be in Auckland.

"Although a CIA affiliation could help Barry on multiple fronts, including making it easier to obtain the agency’s cooperation, it could also inspire criticism. Some experts argue a person with no ties to the agency is likely to be more independent and offer unbiased advice about the powerful spy agency.

Barry’s predecessor, Cohen-Watnick, who is in his early 30s, formally resigned from the DIA before taking the NSC position. His critics say that, aside from not having a CIA background, he was too hawkish and too inexperienced for the NSC role. Cohen-Watnick now works for the software company Oracle."

- Politico

On 10/1/2017 at 6:28 PM, barfy said:

So its a few years later , all contracts have expired , non disclosures have run their course and yet you are the only one who knows what really went on ? 

How special that must be for you. 

39 minutes ago, maxmini said:

So its a few years later , all contracts have expired , non disclosures have run their course...

How exactly would you know that??

7 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

This suggests there is still hope by some parties (Bermudians, maybe) but that they haven't convinced enough people yet.

“At this stage there are no set plans on anything,”

Won't happen. Not with the Americas Cup taking off.

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Stands about much chance as Ehman's 12m circus.

Or a J's triumphant AC return.

6 minutes ago, nav said:

^ That I'd watch!

Well, I would too.

But given the choice, I much rather watch a battle between planing or foiling hulls, rather than 1930's slugs which drag half the ocean around with them.

13 hours ago, maxmini said:

So its a few years later , all contracts have expired , non disclosures have run their course and yet you are the only one who knows what really went on ? 

How special that must be for you. 

12 hours ago, Indio said:

How exactly would you know that??

As has been pointed out many times, NDA's are irrelevant. The only people bound by them would be OR staff but as a US employer, the staff are protected by whistleblower legislation. With certain members of the team who would have been in a position to know what was going on having grievances against OR, it would have been an obvious way to gain revenge on the team.

Even if you think that team members would dare go against Ellison even with whistleblower protection, there were 3 other teams there not bound by NDA's making something like 300 people who could speak out. Overall, there are significant a number of people who had to have known or had a pretty good idea of what was going on yet there has been nothing. It is inconceivable that the only person who identified what was going on was a forum poster with zero technical knowledge. Even if we we agreed that nobody had spotted it until the video analysis was posted on here, why have none of the people who are qualified to talk about it picked it up? The reason is simple. Anybody with any knowledge knows a number of things. The gantry isn't solidly mounted in such a way that movement in the gantry is replicated in the board. Oracle didn't have the hydraulic capacity to move the board like that and the big one, it would have no benefit.

It really is time for some to STFU and start looking forward. ETNZ have won the cup, they are now the defender and there are a lot of exciting developments.

7 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

It really is time for some to STFU and start looking forward.

Yes. So why do you continue to feed the troll?

51 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Lol! Don't discourage them, I just got the popcorn out.

5 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I'll give you that. It's the old internet problem

59d9f71760a50_flat1000x1000075f.thumb.jpg.9e85b93836596c0dea4aec422cf6edca.jpg

1 hour ago, Team_GBR said:

I'll give you that. It's the old internet problem

59d9f71760a50_flat1000x1000075f.thumb.jpg.9e85b93836596c0dea4aec422cf6edca.jpg

I feel compelled to point out that that cartoon is a plagiarism of XKCD of Feb 20, 2008.

duty_calls.png

4 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

I feel compelled to point out that that cartoon is a plagiarism of XKCD of Feb 20, 2008.

duty_calls.png

I feel compelled to tell you that you are wrong ;)

10 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I feel compelled to tell you that you are wrong ;)

I feel compelled to tell you I think the woman in the first has more appeal!

2 hours ago, Barnyb said:

I feel compelled to tell you I think the woman in the first has more appeal!

Show us her tits?

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

No we don't!  :D

You're wrong. We do! So STFU. :angry:

10 hours ago, barfy said:

well this thread has become like shouting into a black hole :)

That's because the thread name is Oracle Team USA which are no longer a valid team in AC

5 hours ago, Barnyb said:

That's because the thread name is Oracle Team USA which are no longer a valid team in AC

Ah...right. Over and out then. ;)

7 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Sailing: Oracle's Jimmy Spithill surprise starter in Coastal Classic

The two-time America's Cup winning skipper will be on board the Orma 60 trimaran, Frank Racing - formerly known as Team Vodafone - for the annual yacht race from Auckland to Russell.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11932071

Be fun to be a fly on the mast during the race: Simon Hull and Spithill! No holding back of some tall tales I bet. 

Yeah, I think Simon was putting up all the Team NZ banners in Bermuda that Oracle were taking down! I suspect they'll just have a few beers and laugh about it all.

16 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Without the Red Bull Youth America's Cup that will be difficult to do methinks.

Yeah, I'm fucked if I know how we managed all those years until the RBYAC turned up......

17 hours ago, Rangi said:

Yeah, I'm fucked if I know how we managed all those years until the RBYAC turned up......

Its always been there hasn't it? Must have been since it is so essential.

That said, I do like the idea of a youth AC to develop young talent.

19 hours ago, Rangi said:

Don't feed a troll who doesn't even understand the basic difference between a youngster and youth 

More on this rumor

http://www.robmundle.com/is-larry-ellisons-americas-cup-style-world-series-about-to-be-announced/

Larry Ellison, whose syndicate lost the America’s Cup to New Zealand in Bermuda in June this year, is believed to be close to announcing a “World Series of Sailing” based on that regatta.

Reliable sources suggest that the proposed series will be contested at a number of venues around the world. The ultimate prize will be a spectacular trophy provided by French fashion house, Louis Vuitton, which was a major sponsor in Bermuda.

Good luck with that...  Does Larry even have a clue how complicated and on edge those boats were?  Even if made more one design, you'll still need a significant shore team to keep the things running safely.  Add into that mix "various venues" around the world, have fun in sea states over a meter!  No matter how easy they make this event to join, the money men still won't have the balls to sail on one.  Since its not going to be cheap, where will the money come from?  Its a massive step from a GC32 to an AC50...

39 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Larry Ellison, whose syndicate lost the America’s Cup to New Zealand in Bermuda in June this year, is believed to be close to announcing a “World Series of Sailing” based on that regatta.

You fill me with inertia.

49 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

More on this rumor

http://www.robmundle.com/is-larry-ellisons-americas-cup-style-world-series-about-to-be-announced/

Reliable sources suggest that the proposed series will be contested at a number of venues around the world. The ultimate prize will be a spectacular trophy provided by French fashion house, Louis Vuitton, which was a major sponsor in Bermuda.

Russell Coutts dream lives on.  :rolleyes:

http://www.sailingworld.com/racing/coutts-cayard-and-lagos-announce-world-sailing-league

WetHog  :ph34r:

40 minutes ago, Francisco said:

Good luck with that...  Does Larry even have a clue how complicated and on edge those boats were?  Even if made more one design, you'll still need a significant shore team to keep the things running safely.  Add into that mix "various venues" around the world, have fun in sea states over a meter!  No matter how easy they make this event to join, the money men still won't have the balls to sail on one.  Since its not going to be cheap, where will the money come from?  Its a massive step from a GC32 to an AC50...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this was the plan all along

Losing to the only team that didn't sign the London Agreement wasn't part of the plan, but the "World Series" was always the plan and now it will go forward with the LV cup as the ultimate goal instead of the AC. 

Make no mistake: LE intends to make the AC into an irrelevant side show. The pitch is this, or something like this: for $10mm a year you can participate in an ongoing, vibrant, fast-paced event guaranteed (he will say) to get attention for your sponsor. Or you can hope the Volvo comes back, or you can go with an event with regional appeal like something only followed in France, or you can spend $150mm for the right to have a shot at racing in the middle of night in winter in another hemisphere which your sponsors don't care about. 

I'm not saying he can pull it off. I am saying that he intends to be the Bill France of fast boat racing in his "golden years." 

And I am sure he's also thinking of boxing what with all its different associations ... one day, one of "his" teams may win the AC and then it gets reunited with the "World Series". 

Bottom line: don't EVER underestimate Larry. He doesn't lose. 

Can't see Louis Vuitton or Ernesto Bertarelli hitching themselves to a convicted cheater, in a mickey-mouse regatta sailed by losers from AC35. Lazza would have to fork out for the French and Japanese teams, for bragging rights??

It would make a great April fools' day story...

How about this sentence?

Teams from the USA, Sweden, Japan and France are said to be committed to the event and others are expected to follow, including one possibly headed by two-time Cup winner, Ernesto Bertarelli.

This might answer some of the Artemis speculation for AC36 as well as Cammas and then there is the EB possibility.  How shit comes full circle.  :lol:

24 minutes ago, WetHog said:

How about this sentence?

This might answer some of the Artemis speculation for AC36 as well as Cammas and then there is the EB possibility.  How shit comes full circle.  :lol:

Yep, the Regatta of the AC35 Losers..

1 hour ago, 2Newts said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this was the plan all along

Losing to the only team that didn't sign the London Agreement wasn't part of the plan, but the "World Series" was always the plan and now it will go forward with the LV cup as the ultimate goal instead of the AC. 

Make no mistake: LE intends to make the AC into an irrelevant side show. The pitch is this, or something like this: for $10mm a year you can participate in an ongoing, vibrant, fast-paced event guaranteed (he will say) to get attention for your sponsor. Or you can hope the Volvo comes back, or you can go with an event with regional appeal like something only followed in France, or you can spend $150mm for the right to have a shot at racing in the middle of night in winter in another hemisphere which your sponsors don't care about. 

I'm not saying he can pull it off. I am saying that he intends to be the Bill France of fast boat racing in his "golden years." 

And I am sure he's also thinking of boxing what with all its different associations ... one day, one of "his" teams may win the AC and then it gets reunited with the "World Series". 

Bottom line: don't EVER underestimate Larry. He doesn't lose. 

That was my reading of it as well, although I was likening him to Bernie Ecclestone. 

If LE wants to run a race series like that, fine, but it won't be the America's cup.  

We fans can only win. Another series with exciting (depending on your interest) boats and certainly good sailors. If it works, it will be around for a longer time.
The AC is there anyway, and challenges will be made no matter how many other regatta series are around.

4 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

We fans can only win. Another series with exciting (depending on your interest) boats and certainly good sailors. If it works, it will be around for a longer time.
The AC is there anyway, and challenges will be made no matter how many other regatta series are around.

Spot on Ren. VERY little downside for us fans. If it works, significant upside. And if it turns into a complete wreck, upside for those who are into schadenfreude. 

12 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

That was my reading of it as well, although I was likening him to Bernie Ecclestone. 

If LE wants to run a race series like that, fine, but it won't be the America's cup.  

Ecclesone, France; France, Ecclestone ... I suppose it depends on what kind of fast cars you like to watch ;)

54 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Agree, it's win-win for everyone. Fans, pro sailors, shore crew and builders. The more money splurged by $B's the better.

What I would love to see if, IF, this rumor comes true is a more open design for 'Next Gen AC50's' - more of a Run What You Brung competition within some reasonable parameters. Maybe allow even some development boat AC45T's to race. Maybe allow a second, smaller wing for high-wind conditions.

RG adds a few comments about it

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americas-Cup---Is-an-AC50-World-Series-about-to-be-launched/158067

If the new circuit does eventuate it would be able to draw on four of the foiling wingsailed AC50 catamarans and may be able to acquire AC50's from non-competing teams. In addition the teams have several AC45S test boats used in the build up to the 35th America's Cup.

2 hours ago, WetHog said:

..including  one possibly headed by two-time Cup winner, Ernesto Bertarelli.

Reminded me of what EB said in this piece

http://sailinganarchy.com/2017/06/25/return-of-the-king/

What do you think of the Cup up to here? “I really like the boats, which are fascinating and hold great potential in the future.   I was invited on board the French cat, thanks to Frank Cammas, and it really shows that they still have a lot of potential to be developed. With a few tweaks of the plumbing, they can become really fascinating boats “.

The question that many people do now if New Zealand wins.  Will the Cup return to monohulls?  “I think that would be a huge mistake. If you want to make a modern monohull you always have to add a wing, a foil. Then the boat would become complicated for strength. I personally do not think a monohull works.

30 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I've said all along OTUSA, Artemis, France, SBTJ and Land Rover BAR should BOYKOTT AC 36. Hope Ainslie withdraws his intentions  from competing in AC 36 as well.

I don't see it as either/or. Some teams could race in one or the other or both - and/or in the ESS, Maxi's, TP52s, RC44s or whatever else floats their boats. 

It does also remind of the AR release:  The most important consideration for our team is the need for a cutting-edge boat design, one that results in speeds that are as fast or faster than in the last America’s Cup held in Bermuda.

4 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

More on this rumor

I remember an old NYT journalist telling me once "When you see a headline that is a question, you can just answer 'NO' to yourself and move on.  If it was news, it wouldn't be a question!

36 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I remember an old NYT journalist telling me once "When you see a headline that is a question, you can just answer 'NO' to yourself and move on.  If it was news, it wouldn't be a question!

Yep, Mundle describes it as a 'proposal' (the proposed series) and the obviously-optimistic part is speculative, that LE 'is believed to be close to announcing.'

From that I'd reckon a proposal has been made and that LE has indicated he will look at it and decide, sometime soon. There is enough detail to suggest the proposal has been in the works a while, perhaps there was even an invitation for suggestions by LE. 

32 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

The Bottom Line: The Rules for AC 36 is too much biased towards the CoR Luna Rossa for the CSS. The Italians have too much control over this thing called "Prada Cup" and over the Preliminary Events as well. Huge conflict of interest.

Yuge!

You are correct - just imagine if one of the competing teams tried to manipulate the the AC to favour themselves :o

Alinghi forever! Everyone out!

2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I've said all along OTUSA, Artemis, France, SBTJ and Land Rover BAR should BOYKOTT AC 36. Hope Ainslie withdraws his intentions  from competing in AC 36 as well.

So you want to shit all over the AC now, A4E? Might as well - you've crapped all over everything else.

Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

Absolutely until someone takes it away from Dalts & Bertellis clutches. P$B is totally unqualified to be CoR.

Mate. You're dreaming. 

I don't know if the new Larry circuit will happen or not and it will never be the AC, but it is hugely attractive, particularly if there is fleet racing which is what will differentiate it. 

If I was a billionaire where would I spend the money? I enjoy following the AC but don't have the ego or desire to fund a campaign, but the AC50's get me wildly excited. They are the greatest racing machines of my lifetime and I have heard the sailors who have been lucky enough to train and race in them tell of their experiences. I would fund one just for the odd ride I could get.  Maybe insist on a guest seat when racing. Now how cool would that be? I would know it wasn't the AC, but I would not care. It's not about the AC. It is about the coolest racing boats on the planet.

7 hours ago, WetHog said:

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

I'm sure if he does this that it will be a lovely wee regatta that tens of dozens of people want to watch.

It aint the AC and as such is irrelevant. People spend $100 Million + on a campaign just to get hold of the trophy and control of the whole circus.

Nobody is going to spend anything remotely like that to win any other form of regatta.

10 minutes ago, Xlot said:

^You've been punked - look at the dates

Which explains WH's emoticon, for that earlier WSL link.

The inclusion of SBTJ and SWE (presumably TT) in the details could suggest there's already at least agreement by 3 $B's to keep running with the wingsailed foiling cats. Competition between them on the race course could be hot but it's hard to see any other strong competition unless those guys heavily subsidize the program to make it easy for anyone else joining in.