• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

Its not rocket science. Slingsby is trying to get an Aussie challenge off the ground, which by all accounts is close. The nationality/ residency rule in the protocol gives Australian sailors more incentive to compete for Australia. It makes perfect sense, that given Slingsby's track record (Olympic gold, Americas Cup and Sydney to Hobart victories) as well as Australia's Sydney Hobart successes, as well as Australian billionaires preference to buy/ build and compete in Monohulls, that Australian sailors would more likely sign with an Australian challenge should one get off the ground. It makes more sense than uprooting your family and moving to the U.S for 380 days with no guarantee what so ever of winning. 

Slingsby's Aus Challenge is not getting much or any traction with the Australian Billionaires, they are concentrating on winning the Tattersalls Cup which is more important to them.

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Slingsby's Aus Challenge is not getting much or any traction with the Australian Billionaires, they are concentrating on winning the Tattersalls Cup which is more important to them.

As they should. The Sydney Hobart is the main event on the Australian sailing calendar. Although the Tattersallls Cup isn't as important for the professionals. Those who compete on anything larger than 80 feet concentrate on line honours. Once the Sydney Hobart is done, thats when the attention will turn to the AC.

29 minutes ago, sclarke said:

As they should. The Sydney Hobart is the main event on the Australian sailing calendar. Although the Tattersallls Cup isn't as important for the professionals. Those who compete on anything larger than 80 feet concentrate on line honours. Once the Sydney Hobart is done, thats when the attention will turn to the AC.

But the Sydney Hobart wont be done, there is another next year and the year after etc.  Aus wealthy potential boat owners dont see the AC as very important as you do, to them the major event is the annual jaunt to Hobart and all the glory that goes with it.  The Hobart race is more than another yacht race in Australia, its a major tradition much like the Melbourne Cup with all ensuing kudos and hoopla that goes with it.  The AC has long lost its stature in the land of OZ and all the beating of drums by Slingers wont come to much unfortunately.  Bertrand would not get much traction either, too out of touch with where sailing is currently, he currently heads up Australian Swimming.

11 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

LE and his design team were heavily American. And so even if he does fund Slingsby’s effort under Oracle Australia (a bit like the Toyota NZ) well I hope that he keeps his design team, in a design competition, predominantly American.

Best to stick to just being an LE sycophant and leave commercial sponsorship on the other side of the planet to those who have a clue

Actually it would be "awesome" if Oracle just crawled away under a rock and stayed there. That would be the best outcome for the event and the sport.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Actually it would be "awesome" if Oracle just crawled away under a rock and stayed there. That would be the best outcome for the event and the sport.

Yup. And hopefully no return from fuck face Bertarelli.

7 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Okay, I’ll bite. Why?

To me, it’s mostly a case of ‘the more millions of private money lavished on the event the better.’ It’s also very ‘traditional’ to the Cup’s rich history.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Okay, I’ll bite. Why?

To me, the more millions of private money lavished on the event, the better.

Yah, I'm with you. The more billionaires pouring money into sailing, the better for sailing. 

3 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

Yah, I'm with you. The more billionaires pouring money into sailing, the better for sailing. 

The excruciating pain problem the NZ fanboys have for anything Larry must date back to the incredible comeback by Oracle in AC34, is what I figure. That was brutal enough to leave scars!

Uncle Larry and the pit bull back in the AC  with a huge chip on both shoulders would be interesting.

Throw in Uncles check book and you have a contender .

Time will tell . 

NY challenge will be uncomfortable since his challenge is really directed at them - the establishment.  From LE's pov their challenge became a fly in a web. A sign he was considering a challenge is many of the team are still training in the gym. Either way he'll be a serious threat and it will an interesting Cup.

1 hour ago, ~Stingray~ said:

The excruciating pain problem the NZ fanboys have for anything Larry must date back to the incredible comeback by Oracle in AC34, is what I figure. That was brutal enough to leave scars!

Actually, for me at least, it is just that I don't appreciate the fact he took a big steaming dump in the cup and then sold it to the world as caviar.

As for challenging, with his track record when just one of many, why would he waste his money.

8 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Actually, for me at least, it is just that I don't appreciate the fact he took a big steaming dump in the cup and then sold it to the world as caviar.

As for challenging, with his track record when just one of many, why would he waste his money.

Taking the AC to the fastest AC Class in history ever raced was a dump?? Dang.... Tough crowd!

As for Challenging? Maybe because, like what JS said in that admittedly older and curious interview with Red Bull, for LE it is all about..... The Challenge.

5 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Nope, it's the shitty way he, Jimmy and Wussell behaved.

AC34 was pretty poor but they really exceeded Ernies behaviour in AC35.

The prospect of ETNZ losing the cup doesn't concern me half as much as the likes of Ernie and Lazza winning it and proceeding to shit all over it again.

The truth is that there have only been 3 truly righteous defences since the NYYC lost the cup, being 87, 00 and 03.

6 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

So I'm an ETNZ fanboy now? I've been gently prodding at the more hysterical "ETNZ can do no wrong" posters for several months. Actually I am nobody's fanboy and that includes LRBAR.

My causes for compliant as to Oracle include the shrill whine of hypocrisy during AC33, the cheating during AC34 and the "meah, so what" response from team management, followed by the sheer crushing of all the joy out of the event in AC35. I hope LE just fucks off out of sailing & he can take his money with him, he's done nothing to benefit the wider sport inside or outside the USA.

On 10/28/2017 at 10:40 AM, dogwatch said:

So I'm an ETNZ fanboy now? I've been gently prodding at the more hysterical "ETNZ can do no wrong" posters for several months decades. Actually I am nobody's fanboy and that includes LRBAR.

fixed

2 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Jimmy story in Redbull mag:

Will you now be one of the hunters?

We will definitely be chasing this America’s Cup .

What is the future of ORACLE Team USA?

Larry [Ellison] wants to wait until the rules and the protocol comes out. But we want to go and get that Cup back.

https://www.redbull.com/nz-en/jimmy-spithill-interview

I wouldn't read much into these sanitised branded soundbites that match with Red Bulls PR strategy and were probably ghost-written by a PA filling out a quick form in an airport lounge and then put under JS's nose to get a nod, just to turn out some written content to go with the hawt photos...

"chasing the cup" is miles away from entering AC36, it's all vague empty doublespeak...

His answer on reflecting on the loss is pure empty nothingness gold... 

JS might be back, and maybe with Red Bull as a sponsor but LE and Oracle are out...

I wish 11th Hour Racing would run an AC36 Campaign. They already sponsored LRBAR in AC35 and now Vestas in the ‘17 VOR. Google-gazzilions to indulge in, for a further boost of a terrific cause.

A retraction from Jimmy loose lips:

I’d like to correct an inaccurate report in a recent New Zealand publication. I never said Oracle Team USA would try and win back the next America’s Cup. What I did say in an interview with Red Bull was that as someone who doesn’t like losing, I naturally want to get back out on the field of play for another shot. Whether this will be in the next edition or in the future, I don’t know. Right now I’m keeping my options open until all the facts are known.

In reality, I have not... heard from Larry on what his plans may or may not be relating to the future America’s Cup in New Zealand. Presumably Oracle would be waiting to review the AC rules, however I could equally imagine them having other plans.

I've just returned from NZ, after competing in my first Coastal Classic aboard the Orma 60 “Frank Racing”, and glad to say we got the win after a tough battle with the MOD 70 Beau Geste - see vid below. Over 150 boats, awesome breeze and a really fun tactical race.

^ Thanks, good find. That RB interview was for his book promotion, mostly. As I have remarked, he was far less declarative about Oracle in several radio interviews since then. 

15 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

^ Thanks, good find. That RB interview was for his book promotion, mostly. As I have remarked, he was far less declarative about Oracle in several radio interviews since then. 

And JS has not even spoken to LE. I thought JS was LE's little golden boy? (or is that term now inappropriate after the Kevin Spacey episode?)

30 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

And JS has not even spoken to LE. I thought JS was LE's little golden boy? (or is that term now inappropriate after the Kevin Spacey episode?)

I think Jimmy will be a "cup of cold sick" to Lazza after losing "his precious".

9 hours ago, Barnyb said:

A retraction from Jimmy loose lips:

I’d like to correct an inaccurate report in a recent New Zealand publication. I never said Oracle Team USA would try and win back the next America’s Cup. What I did say in an interview with Red Bull was that as someone who doesn’t like losing, I naturally want to get back out on the field of play for another shot. Whether this will be in the next edition or in the future, I don’t know. Right now I’m keeping my options open until all the facts are known.

In reality, I have not... heard from Larry on what his plans may or may not be relating to the future America’s Cup in New Zealand. Presumably Oracle would be waiting to review the AC rules, however I could equally imagine them having other plans.

I've just returned from NZ, after competing in my first Coastal Classic aboard the Orma 60 “Frank Racing”, and glad to say we got the win after a tough battle with the MOD 70 Beau Geste - see vid below. Over 150 boats, awesome breeze and a really fun tactical race.

Looks like Jimminy received a "What-the-fuck-do-you-think-you're-doing!!" phone call from an irate Lazza after one of his flunkies read the interview...

LE has to set an example to the Corporation employees.  Losing is not tolerated.  Losers are not welcome.  You lose you go bye bye.

16 minutes ago, random said:

LE has to set an example to the Corporation employees.  Losing is not tolerated.  Losers are not welcome.  You lose you go bye bye.

plus - you lose, and you talk out of line, means death by bunta!