Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weightless

Coast Guard icebreaker rescues man aboard sailboat trapped in Arctic i

Here is a photo of the boat the Coast Guard rescued.

GEDC8918s.jpg

That has to be the ugliest sailboat I've ever seen. Who designed it... HotRod?

Guv - Love that song. A friend and I have prerformed it many times in bars and coffeehouses in Fl. Always gets huge response.

Maybe his insurance company made him go that way ??

My insurance covers me out to 150 miles from US and Canadian coast, so I'm covered if I go from West Coast to East Coast via the NW passage, but not through the Panama Canal ...

I'm waiting for SA and company to start demanding Fairness in Slippage for recently arrived immigrants. No reason to think the privileged white sailing community can continue to exclude the recently arrived, especially in San Diego, the subject to another SA rant. I say Fairness in Slippage especially in 'Frisco. Ranting about "climate change" in the face of evidence of manipulated data to support computer models : http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nasa-caught-in-climate-data-manipulation-new-revelations-headlined-on-kusi-tv-climate-special-81507392.html seems curious to me. If NASA were the only one manipulating data. Big money in grants to support a climate change industry too. At least NASA covers it's ass by allowing the curious to view the actual expansion of Arctic Ice.. Please, help newly arrived families. Donate a boat and slip at YC near you. Fairness in slippage. Fairness in reporting scientific data. Prove Anthropogenic climate change.

He's lucky Healy was in the area, we're barely holding onto our icebreaker fleet (thanks, Congress) and a helo rescue would mean leaving that ugly shitbox to the ice.

He should be fined twice: needing a rescue due to personal stupidity and crimes against naval aesthetics.

Mr. Gursoy has definitely proven that he is quite the welder, if nothing else.

Healy doesn't have helo's anymore, so that wasn't a concern! But, Healy science time is priceless and this debacle cost more than just fuel.

Grrrr, Greg

"Arctic sea ice may be thinning at an alarming rate (and the resultant water level rise is having plenty of effect)"

Really?

Certainly one of the ugliest boats to grace the fine pages of SA to date. I do take issue with complaints every time some dumb sailor is rescued at sea. The raison d'être of the coast guard is to saves lives that could otherwise be lost at sea. Maybe this guy did something dumb and maybe not but isn't it nice to know they are capable of rescuing someone who you deem worthy of rescue. Consider this a valuable training exercise for them.

I always get a chuckle out of boats where the designer and/or builder has decided that windage simply isn't a factor for them. I guess if it your intention to only go downwind and never need to claw off a lee shore in threatening conditions, you'll be fine.

Afraid to ask what the underwater appendages look like??