• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aloha27

Eight bells Jess Eales

Jesus Clean.

In the article is states the death isn't being viewed as suspicious, whether or not the exact cause is mentioned any coherently thinking adult will know what occurred.

Grumpy hit the nail right on the head.

This is awful, should never happen to anyone, anywhere, and never so young.

any coherently thinking adult will know what occurred.

I've got an advanced degree and I don't know what occurred, and I'm really not willing to guess. I'm seriously confused as to why a coroner or police department wouldn't release a cause of death a week after it happened, but then again maybe public records don't work the same way in UK as they do here. The news would already have the report here in the US - the police don't really have a choice.

Very tragic and sad. Condolences to all.

It's between the lines Clean. Most don't look for it, just offer heartfelt condolences and move on.

Even in the USA the cause of death is normally not reported unless a FOIA request is made of the coroner. And even then it is restricted to criminal activity or "public figures" where privacy is not covered under US privacy laws. The UK has similar laws, but they differ on some items...normally more privacy is granted in the UK vs USA.

I think what people are stating is that you are wanting someone to state the obvious. She probably took her own life. I hope I am wrong, though the result is the same regardless.

If you could not see that people were trying to be polite and treat this with respect, well then you are an ass.

Condolances to the family, no family should ever lose someone that young, regardless of the circumstances. It is a tradgedy, and instead of being a jerk and pushing, perhaps you should show some respect for the family and friends who have lost someone.

Very tragic and sad. Condolences to all.

It's between the lines Clean. Most don't look for it, just offer heartfelt condolences and move on.

or just read the article in the paper "People can contact Samaritans by phone on 08457 90 90 90 or face-to-face at one of the UK's local branches."

​prayers for her friends and family. We don't need answers all the time, just some common sense .

Even in the USA the cause of death is normally not reported unless a FOIA request is made of the coroner. And even then it is restricted to criminal activity or "public figures" where privacy is not covered under US privacy laws. The UK has similar laws, but they differ on some items...normally more privacy is granted in the UK vs USA.

I think what people are stating is that you are wanting someone to state the obvious. She probably took her own life. I hope I am wrong, though the result is the same regardless.

If you could not see that people were trying to be polite and treat this with respect, well then you are an ass.

Condolances to the family, no family should ever lose someone that young, regardless of the circumstances. It is a tradgedy, and instead of being a jerk and pushing, perhaps you should show some respect for the family and friends who have lost someone.

Exactly, maybe Clean needs it written in 6 foot high flasing neon. <_<

No idea what you are talking about Grumpy. Why would anyone shut up about a tragedy like this?

At the very least Clean, take the fucking song off the FP - you are unbelievable

I apologize if my impatience with this case has offended anyone. I have been paying attention to the Junior Worlds and to me at least, this is a matter of public concern.

I'm not sure where you get your information from about cause of death, but it's 100% wrong. Police reports are public documents routinely viewed by news organizations upon request, with redaction only permitted for the name of a minor, and you can get death certificates online in many states within a day of their being filed. And of course, the news reports on it routinely. Again, I apologize for my impatience. I guess I am hoping that it was some freak accident, poisoning, anaphylaxis, snake bite...anything rather than the absolutely heartrending tragedy of a suicide in one so young.

The reason the Smiths song is in there is that for me, it adds a deep note of somberness that provides a powerful contrast to the picture of a beautiful, young, vibrant girl. I used it to convey the pain that this incident has caused so many. This has gripped me quite a lot too, even though I didn't know her at all. I'm sorry you don't like it, but that's how my writing comes out sometimes.

Most don't look for it

I know. But I do.

She was 17 , and as far as I remember growing up there, the age of consent was always 18. may have changed though

>>with redaction only permitted for the name of a minor, <<

Oh gosh, please stop Clean. Its implied in the article and stated in the thread. Props for what you did in the river but leave this alone. Some things are best left unsaid. Having a daughter the same age I had to go look. It breaks my heart. Friends just down the street just lost a son of similar age a few months ago the same way. I can only pray the family finds some peace. There are no words or at least I don't know them...

I know. But I do.

Me, too. I want to know: Why...? I want to know if it was self-inflicted or not -- drugs? Intentional or not -- suicide? A rare medical condition? I think most people want to know, whether they admit it or not. Some people are confident enough in their suppositions to carry on. I'm not.

Very sad news, my heart goes out to her family and friends.

I think knowing (without granular detail) what caused this tragic loss would ok if not helpful. Many of us are coaches and to loose such a talented teen, who was clearly performing well and had a very bright future, should drive us to ask some questions. Was it a head trauma during worlds that did not present symptoms? Are we doing enough to support young athletes who are feeling massive amounts of pressure to perform? Are we pushing too hard to win? Are we supporting the physical health of our athletes in every way possible? Are we educating enough on the dangers of drugs/alcohol? No, I/we don’t need the details, I don’t want the details, but I think there is something to be said for trying to prevent something tragic from happening again.

Let’s not make this into another bash Clean thread, nothing good will come from it and it is no way to honor Jess.

I love how the Sailing Anarchy community so consistently unites in their repudiation of the Editors...Nothing seems to bring you guys together like bashing Clean & company.

A very sad story, to be sure - tragic, in fact. But not undeserving of mention - I've known more than one sailor that opted out before his time - are we more tightly wound than most, or is it just a matter of a cross-section of the populace reflected in our legion ?

One thing for certain, the young lady will be deeply missed. I hope those who knew her can eventually find peace.

I hope there are planning reaches in the beyond, but personal experience thus far has indicated to me that we may only get them here, so you better go sailing EVERY chance you get, because a good surf-ride missed is one you aren't getting back. Forget decent boats, there might not even be wind after we leave this world.

God damn but this hits close to home.

A week ago Saturday my 22 year old daughter basically died. Convulsed and heart stopped for 8 minutes before defib. CPR started immediately waiting for EMT's then once in hospital put into an induced coma and lowered body temp for 30 hours, and a miracle has occurred in that she's now home and amazingly doing very well.

So for all those questions as to why did Jess died, consider that my daughter was living with an un-diagnosed genetic heart condition and if no one would have been present, she would have died for no apparent reason. She now has an implanted defibrillator and is promised a healthy life. Our family is so damn lucky this turned out this way and incredibly thankful that her boyfriend is a pro ski patrol with real CPR capabilities!

TOG

A week ago Saturday my 22 year old daughter basically died. Convulsed and heart stopped for 8 minutes before defib. CPR started immediately waiting for EMT's then once in hospital put into an induced coma and lowered body temp for 30 hours, and a miracle has occurred in that she's now home and amazingly doing very well.

So for all those questions as to why did Jess died, consider that my daughter was living with an un-diagnosed genetic heart condition and if no one would have been present, she would have died for no apparent reason. She now has an implanted defibrillator and is promised a healthy life. Our family is so damn lucky this turned out this way and incredibly thankful that her boyfriend is a pro ski patrol with real CPR capabilities!

TOG

So glad to hear that your situation turned out the way it did, TOG.

TOG

So glad to hear that your situation turned out the way it did, TOG.

+1. And condolences to the family of Jess Eales, can't even begin to comprehend how painful this must be.

I'm not onboard w the Clean bashing. I want to know how this lovely young girl met this tragic end. I don't want to miss this opportunity to open a dialogue with the many younger Anarchists about mental illness, suicide and hard drugs (if that is what is supposed to be read between the lines). There is lots of joking about weed, booze, and other drugs on this site, but kids need to understand moderation, and need to understand there are people that can help, and that they are not alone. At that age I was blessed to have understanding counselours that helped me pull out of a nearly certain death spiral. Denial of the issue is simply a path to more similar tragedies.

One of the few areas that the British press maintains some decorum is sudden death. The phrase "not being treated as suspicious" is code. If there is a medical explanation for a death, or drugs for that matter, it would be mentioned in the next sentence. There will be an inquest and the details will be made available, though likely not reported widely.

One of the few areas that the British press maintains some decorum is sudden death. The phrase "not being treated as suspicious" is code. If there is a medical explanation for a death, or drugs for that matter, it would be mentioned in the next sentence. There will be an inquest and the details will be made available, though likely not reported widely.

Thank you for the explanation.

My young one.. May you always have a good wind at your back... You are now among many great sailors.. May you RIP.

Same in Oz.

Tragic loss.

Jim

Well, thanks for the explaination. Hopefully anyone reading of her death who is having self destructive thoughts will realize that they are not the only one who has felt this way and to reach out for help.

Exactly. Suspicious is code for murder. Tox reports take a while - a good few weeks in the case of Bob Geldof's daughter.

Official reasons won't be public until the coroner's hearing. One will be,opened but adjourned for tox etc reports. All AIUI.

Has this tragedy been addressed in the UK yachting press/websites or by the RYA yet?

I can't find any mention of it, are they trying to distance sailing from the sad event.

"This shit isn’t supposed to happen to 17 year olds."

I agree that this is sad, AND my heartfelt condoleances go out to the family.

But who are we to say that something wasn't supposed to happen?

It is what it is, and no saying that it shouldn't have happened will make it otherwise.

The coronor releases the cause of death and he she can wait as long as they like for the enquiry

certainly in the UK and OZ that I have seen.