Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

Health care worker at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas tests positive for Ebola

Preliminary testing has confirmed that a health care worker who came in contact with the first person to die of Ebola in the United States has become infected with the virus, the Texas Department of State Health Services has said.(link)

Still not worried. Not stocking up on survival products just yet, even though pro Ebola forces are sure to be trumpeting a second person in Dallas with it (and don't forget the cameraman who was sent here for treatment).

Pro Ebola forces? That's OutRageOUS!

Health care worker at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas tests positive for Ebola

Preliminary testing has confirmed that a health care worker who came in contact with the first person to die of Ebola in the United States has become infected with the virus, the Texas Department of State Health Services has said.(link)

Maybe you could donate the $500 you promised to Ebola Fear Research.

Guest One of Five

Still not worried. Not stocking up on survival products just yet, even though pro Ebola forces are sure to be trumpeting a second person in Dallas with it (and don't forget the cameraman who was sent here for treatment).

you really are one fucked up human being.

I guess that's one way to address an opinion that differs from your own.

Still, you must admit that USG incompetence is absolutely stunning...

The Texas hospital that sent him home is the USG?

I would admit that, but only if you admit that crunchy peanut butter is better than creamy peanut butter.

It becomes easier to understand some of the views in this thread when you realize that they swallow stuff like this hook, line, and sinker: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/09/ebola-outbreak-why-obama-is-allowing-ebolaphobia-to-spread/

It becomes easier to understand some of the views in this thread when you realize that they swallow stuff like this hook, line, and sinker: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/09/ebola-outbreak-why-obama-is-allowing-ebolaphobia-to-spread/

Be afraid. Be very afraid. If you do not share their opinion, you hate America.

Not wanting to let the facts get in the way of a good story, but the screening will not help as much as many would like us to believe.

(I added emphasis) http://online.wsj.com/articles/ebola-screenings-begin-at-jfk-airport-1413036019

Passengers arriving at JFK from Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone will be taken to an area of the airport designated for the screenings. Officials will question each passenger to find out if they have possibly been exposed to Ebola. Staff will take the passengers’ body temperature and check for other symptoms of the disease.

Moussa Haliu, who was returning to the Bronx after a 12-day religious trip in Saudi Arabia, said the screening process went quickly.

“Everything was cool,” said Mr. Haliu, 31 years old, who said his flight first connected in Jordan, then Paris, before arriving at JFK. “They just checked our temperature to make sure we don’t have Ebola and after that we just went to the terminal.”

He said officials asked him if he had visited his home country of Niger. He said he told them he hadn’t. He said he was also asked about having a cold and told officials that he began coming down with it during the flight.

OK - so you question the passengers - as in the case of Mr Duncan (RIP) - people lie, or perhaps they give insufficient information. Either way, it's fallible.

Additionally, taking the temperature will be interesting:

What's the accepted temperature threshold?

What about my hot-flash or food reaction or alcohol consumption that elevates my temperature?

What's an acceptable response to explain having an elevated temperature?

Then what? - follow up? - observation? A call back in 3-days? What if I don't take the call? Is someone going to come looking for me?

No - the screening won't catch Ebola. It's too broad/vague and initial Ebola symptoms are too non-specific.

What it will do is make the ostriches feel good that their government is doing something so they don't have to do anything.

People should be aware of the likelihood that it'll travel a lot further than it already has, but worry? It's a futile expenditure of energy. If you can do something about it, do it and don't worry. If you can't do anything about it, worrying won't change that, so don't worry.
Educating yourself on how it spreads, and a bit of extra diligence on handwashing and sanitiser, yah, that'd be more worthwhile than worry.

The Duncan case is good for dispelling myths, as you suggest. Screening is not infallible, as people will lie to beat the screening process (though fever is easier to catch), and stopping flights from Africa would not have stopped him from getting to the US.

That leads me to wonder what percentage of fliers from Africa to the US do so directly, vs. connecting through Europe.

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas health care worker who was in full protective gear while providing hospital care for an Ebola patient who later died has tested positive for the virus and is in stable condition, health officials said Sunday. If the preliminary diagnosis is confirmed, it would be the first known case of the disease being contracted or transmitted in the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/state-health-officials-2nd-ebola-case-texas-102955708.html

The Duncan case is good for dispelling myths, as you suggest. Screening is not infallible, as people will lie to beat the screening process (though fever is easier to catch), and stopping flights from Africa would not have stopped him from getting to the US.

That leads me to wonder what percentage of fliers from Africa to the US do so directly, vs. connecting through Europe.

Someone got the memo - they're not screening only direct flights anymore, apparently. The guy in the link I quoted came from Saudi Arabia via Jordan via UK to JFK.

Now - are they checking based on Flight Plans or based on self-disclosure on the Immigration forms ... that's a question.

Someone got the memo - they're not screening only direct flights anymore, apparently. The guy in the link I quoted came from Saudi Arabia via Jordan via UK to JFK.

Now - are they checking based on Flight Plans or based on self-disclosure on the Immigration forms ... that's a question.

Right you are.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/images/JointAirportScreeningFactSheet.pdf

These days, our government knows if anyone in the US has even talked to someone in any of the affected countries, so I would not be a bit surprised if they knew if someone had traveled there, or originated travel there. I would hope that they would no longer be relying solely on passenger responses...but very little shocks me anymore in terms of government incompetence.

Mr CDC says the care giver briefly broke pro to call. Didn't catch exactly the breach was but this is concerning to me.

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas health care worker who was in full protective gear while providing hospital care for an Ebola patient who later died has tested positive for the virus and is in stable condition, health officials said Sunday. If the preliminary diagnosis is confirmed, it would be the first known case of the disease being contracted or transmitted in the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/state-health-officials-2nd-ebola-case-texas-102955708.html

Red State voters are gonna start dropping like fly's. Obama, you gotta love him. Republicans and their voter IDs ploy is child's play. Who say's Obama is weak? WHO!

Mr CDC says the care giver briefly broke pro to call. Didn't catch exactly the breach was but this is concerning to me.

Not me.

All the attention nationwide regarding this and this happens? Who from CDC was there making sure proto was followed 100% to the t? I'm willing to bet no one was there.

That does not concern you?

But that's the difference between government and private work.

Not me.

All the attention nationwide regarding this and this happens? Who from CDC was there making sure proto was followed 100% to the t? I'm willing to bet no one was there.

That does not concern you?

But that's the difference between government and private work.

Nope. Doesn't concern me. The CDC doesn't supervise doctors in every hospital across the country. I just don't care to rely on government to that extent. Let the CDC provide protocols and let health care providers follow them. I don't want the nanny state, RD.

I agree with nanny state but not regarding CDC. That organization does very important work worldwide. Hospitals are experts in regards to things like Ebola....fuck who is regarding Ebola. Either there were no experts there to ensure proto was followed and documented or the protocol followed didn't work. This is important enough not to thrust a $15 an hr LPN on her own with most likely no expertise.

How could protocol not been followed? Not documented. Not trained. Not verified. Government ineptness.

I myself want less nanny government, but I want nanny government doing more and being responsible for more. I find those positions to be perfectly reconcilable.

Well this is interesting, I can only imagine the irony when the first member of Congress comes down with Ebola.

Dr. Francis Collins, the head of the National Institutes of Health, said that a decade of stagnant spending has "slowed down" research on all items, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. As a result, he said, the international community has been left playing catch-up on a potentially avoidable humanitarian catastrophe.

"NIH has been working on Ebola vaccines since 2001. It's not like we suddenly woke up and thought, 'Oh my gosh, we should have something ready here,'" Collins told The Huffington Post on Friday. "Frankly, if we had not gone through our 10-year slide in research support, we probably would have had a vaccine in time for this that would've gone through clinical trials and would have been ready." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/12/ebola-vaccine_n_5974148.html

How does stagnated spending equal slowed research? Shit even a moron can overcome inflationary costs. Government worker in action there.

How the hell do we manage year after year in private sector with 2% year over year PRICE reductions?

I don't consider CDC nanny state I'd gladly pay for that.

Regatta Dog already tried that one above, but it didn't get a laugh. Tough room.

Well this is interesting, I can only imagine the irony when the first member of Congress comes down with Ebola.

Dr. Francis Collins, the head of the National Institutes of Health, said that a decade of stagnant spending has "slowed down" research on all items, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. As a result, he said, the international community has been left playing catch-up on a potentially avoidable humanitarian catastrophe.

"NIH has been working on Ebola vaccines since 2001. It's not like we suddenly woke up and thought, 'Oh my gosh, we should have something ready here,'" Collins told The Huffington Post on Friday. "Frankly, if we had not gone through our 10-year slide in research support, we probably would have had a vaccine in time for this that would've gone through clinical trials and would have been ready." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/12/ebola-vaccine_n_5974148.html

OH YES!!

As usual the answer is WE NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY!!!

We have a fairly good handle on virii and know they are difficult to deal with. The CDC was dealing with Ebola at a pace an level consistent with the threat to the US. That risk has elevated and now we are spending more.

Maybe all the big charities raising money for the diseases of civilization and white folks could have done a bit more for tropical diseases than ban DDT.

I'm pledging the $500 Regatta Dog promised me to fight Ebola Fear Syndrome. Its rampant, will destroy America if left unchecked and easily cured. Mostly affects FoxNews and CNN watchers. Our campaign will be to isolate those "news" channels from the airwaves for 21 days. This will allow the victims of EFS to seek alternative and factual information. The system will be flushed with facts and the neural pathways restored allowing cognitive harmony to return. Please help.

you guys are whistling in the graveyard at your own expense.

Have fun.

You are out! Congratulations. Call your sponsor tonight.

Looky an anonymous internet troll tries to say something witty...

Fail.

Have fun jacking on his Happiness even though he's right.

Tool.

I just noticed this post. Ed isn't really anonymous, he cut a visible figure around here when he used to drive that Lotus/Tesla, and he has posted a video of himself here giving stress to Blagojevich.

The troll part is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll get concerned as soon as the number of US cases > than the number of Taylor Swifts ex-lovers.

I'll get concerned as soon as the number of US cases > than the number of Taylor Swifts ex-lovers.

If it's looking bad this winter maybe I can skip having to drive around the country in the RV with the little woman.

OH YES!!

We have a fairly good handle on virii and know they are difficult to deal with. The CDC was dealing with Ebola at a pace an level consistent with the threat to the US. That risk has elevated and now we are spending more.

Maybe all the big charities raising money for the diseases of civilization and white folks could have done a bit more for tropical diseases than ban DDT.

You have to admit though, Republican failure to calculate all of the ramifications from budget cuts certainly makes for very interesting Senate campaign commercials.

OH YES!!

You have to admit though, Republican failure to calculate all of the ramifications from budget cuts certainly makes for very interesting Senate campaign commercials.

So what? If commercial fodder is important to you you better get used to grandma cackling over Qaddafi and shouting WHAT DOES IT MATTER for a long time because you'll be seeing a lot of it.

Real military guys get treated as pariahs by the press if they have been caught posing next to a dead enemy and may face disciplinary action. Why should some silly bitch be off the hook for "we came, we saw, he died <cackle,cackle,cackle> or saying that the death of an ambassador doesn't matter.

Screenings work so well - like the hospital in Texas that had a patient with a fever, that came from Africa, as was given antibiotics and sent home. That worked so well. I feel so reassured. And now the military is in on the 'fight' against ebola. Does that mean we should send the CDC, the WHO and trained doctors and nurses to 'fight' ISIS. This all sounds so logical to me.

It's the new War Against Ebola

I suggest we need a new Cabinet position - and Happy Jack as the first Czar.

Guest One of Five

Panic is not subsiding. Boy did I nail this one. And, all the usual suspects keep doubling down.

Yes, you did and then some.

Sadly, your trolls will never acknowledge it. .

Is it just a matter of time before there is a serious outbreak in the US?

I think the public is not ready and the government should start educating us about how a disease outbreak will be contained. How quarantines works how food an care will be distributed. A bit of public awareness might reduce the panic when the time comes.

Every year before hurricane season there are endless public announcements on the news, the Gov. office holds press conferences, they publish a survival guide in the newspapers etc.

I think it is time to start raising public awareness about how to deal with an epidemic too.

Are you prepared for period of adversity? Lost job, weather disruption, earthquake, epidemic etc?

The LDS attitude toward preparedness make a lot of sense. Notice stockpiling guns is not on the shopping list.

34q5u2x.png

I disagree with you, because I do not trust the government to the extent that you do. We can defeat Ebola ourselves, as we here on SA have done, thanks to our proactive thread.

Government education about threats is wasted money. Look at how many people ignored the education and were unprepared the last time a hurricane hit the Northeast.

Besides, the government provides plenty of information about Ebola, for those who don't already know it all. It doesnt matter how much information is out there, you nanny government types always look to the government for a bailout anyway.

I'm feeling a little feverish today. Can you catch Ebola by watching it on TV?

You can catch something far worse. They don't call it the boob(not titties) tube for nothing.

The CDC blames the nurse for breaking protocol but cannot provide evidence of what she did or didn't do properly. While there is no evidence that Ebola can be transmitted via aerosols, we take precautions in the US to place patients in negative pressure rooms like we would TB patients. In light of the most recent case involving the nurse, it seems prudent to also protect nurses and doctors and other healthcare workers who are in contact with these patients to guard against respiratory transmission.

Interesting commentary here about this here:

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/09/commentary-health-workers-need-optimal-respiratory-protection-ebola

It makes me angry that the troops Obama is putting in harms way over there are not likely to have these protections either.

Guest One of Five

Sorry, there is plenty of evidence that Ebola once aerosolized is communicable. Those droplets from a sneeze is an aerosol.

Sorry, there is plenty of evidence that Ebola once aerosolized is communicable. Those droplets from a sneeze is an aerosol.

That is not our current understanding of transmission patterns.

CDC. Ebola hemorrhagic fever: transmission. 2014 Aug 13 [Full text]

ECDC. Outbreak of Ebola virus disease in West Africa: third update, 1 August 2014. Stockholm: ECDC 2014 Aug 1 [Full text]

But it is a silly point for you to make, since as a physician, I am arguing for taking further precautions to protect healthcare workers to prevent such transmission. Read the article.

It makes me angry that the troops Obama is putting in harms way over there are not likely to have these protections either.

Putting troops in harms way is the most dodgy part of this whole affair, and the only part that raises my eyebrows.

Guest One of Five

ECDC. Outbreak of Ebola virus disease in West Africa: third update, 1 August 2014. Stockholm: ECDC 2014 Aug 1 [Full text]

But it is a silly point for you to make, since as a physician, I am arguing for taking further precautions to protect healthcare workers to prevent such transmission. Read the article.

bad source - good cite:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-13/cidrap-we-believe-there-scientific-evidence-ebola-has-potential-be-airborne

bad source - good cite:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-13/cidrap-we-believe-there-scientific-evidence-ebola-has-potential-be-airborne

You need to read more carefully. I referenced CIDRAP in my post above #1156, and it was protection against this risk of respiratory transmission which was the whole point of my post.

This does not mean that I believe Ebola is airborne or spread by droplets. At the present time, it is not. This means you cannot acquire it if another person coughs or sneezes close to you, and it is not spread by casual contact.

The other thing to understand is that, unlike say measles or influenza, it is not spread by asymptomatic people. It has to be spread by secretions from an infected and symptomatic person. But the potential is there for this virus to change, and I think respirators for medical personnel make sense even though we don't know how this nurse, who was supposedly following universal precautions, acquired the infection.

I still believe that the risk of any kind of Ebola epidemic in the US is low, and that this thing is going to burn itself out. I am more worried about tuberculosis than Ebola for a whole bunch of reasons.

The US Gov't feeds the panic -

Dedicated Ebola Hospitals Sought After Nurse’s Infection

U.S. and local health officials want to set up dedicated hospitals in each state for Ebola patients, part of a new emphasis on safety for health-care workers after a nurse caring for an infected patient in Dallas tested positive for the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is also reconsidering its existing infection control protocols and will boost health-worker training with a series of calls and online seminars, officials said yesterday.

“We’d like to have at least one hospital in every state that does feel they could manage a patient from start to finish,” said Abbigail Tumpey, the CDC official in charge of the education outreach. So far, the new system is only in the discussion stage, and one issue is that there are currently only four U.S. hospitals with top-level bio-containment units. (link)

Is the US Gov't worried about Ebola coming here?

The US Gov't feeds the panic -

Dedicated Ebola Hospitals Sought After Nurse’s Infection

U.S. and local health officials want to set up dedicated hospitals in each state for Ebola patients, part of a new emphasis on safety for health-care workers after a nurse caring for an infected patient in Dallas tested positive for the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is also reconsidering its existing infection control protocols and will boost health-worker training with a series of calls and online seminars, officials said yesterday.

“We’d like to have at least one hospital in every state that does feel they could manage a patient from start to finish,” said Abbigail Tumpey, the CDC official in charge of the education outreach. So far, the new system is only in the discussion stage, and one issue is that there are currently only four U.S. hospitals with top-level bio-containment units. (link)

Is the US Gov't worried about Ebola coming here?

Kind of a horse and barn door issue for at least one nurse.

Well, I puked at 2 am and again at 3 am and again a few minutes ago. Got the squirts too.

I was exposed for the first and last time to Doc Ford's on Sanibel last night. Beware.

This does not mean that I believe Ebola is airborne or spread by droplets. At the present time, it is not. This means you cannot acquire it if another person coughs or sneezes close to you, and it is not spread by casual contact.

The other thing to understand is that, unlike say measles or influenza, it is not spread by asymptomatic people. It has to be spread by secretions from an infected and symptomatic person. But the potential is there for this virus to change, and I think respirators for medical personnel make sense even though we don't know how this nurse, who was supposedly following universal precautions, acquired the infection.

I still believe that the risk of any kind of Ebola epidemic in the US is low, and that this thing is going to burn itself out. I am more worried about tuberculosis than Ebola for a whole bunch of reasons.

The Pro Ebola forces will not appreciate your measured, rational response.

Obviously it stands for “Ebolobama.”

Euthanize Blacks, Oregonians and Liberals, ASAP?

Heard today that the FoxNews machine is calling for Obummbler to name an Ebola Czar. Didn't they bitch about all the other Czars?

Heard today that the FoxNews machine is calling for Obummbler to name an Ebola Czar. Didn't they bitch about all the other Czars?

Just what we need.

A single person is now the "Fox News machine". I actually pulled the bit from Media Matters -

DOOCY: So every time there's an incident like this, you see Thomas Frieden, the guy who heads up CDC, but is he the official -- there he is right there -- Is he the official Ebola czar? We probably need one, because the president isn't, you know, he's not --

KILMEADE: Sen. McCaul is calling for one.

DOOCY: Absolutely. So with all this bad news --

KILMEADE: Congressman McCaul.

DOOCY: Where was the President of the United States over the weekend? Right after he talked to the Secretary of Health and Human Services, he went golfing.

There's the "Fox News machine" for you.

Instead of focusing on a single phrase used by a Fox host, we should be asking if Frieden is up to the task. From what I've seen, I'm not so sure he is. I'm not suggesting he resign, but this is an international and domestic situation that may require different skill sets than he possesses.

So yes - I believe there should be someone in charge that is better suited to coordinate both domestic and international efforts to combat this global threat. This is becoming problem that suffers from lack of a coordinated and decisive logistical response.

The CDC is focusing so much effort on containment if things go balls up in the US, while at the same time claiming restrictions on commercial travel would make the situation worse because we wouldn't be able to get supplies and aid workers to the source in East Africa?

Are we to assume that the 3,000 us troops are being flown coach to Liberia via Frankfurt on Luthansa? Did the US doctors infected in East Africa fly coach to get home? Is there some policy wonk or political idiot coordinating US military and CDC responses?

Time to stop pandering to the idiots and take a very firm stance on this thing.

Must be a bummer to the usual suspects when the mainstream media lead and devote much of their time to the Ebola story. Today the radio news on the right wing CBS was all about Ebola.

Of course it was. Panic sells. Ask Jack and his survival products company. Business had never been better

Of course it was. Panic sells. Ask Jack and his survival products company. Business had never been better

But is that Jack, or is it the reality of the situation and the moving goal posts about how the Gov't is dealing with it?

people should not tell lies about other members.

I'll start the honesty train rolling ...

Flash is an idiot.

Please remain calm, and keep making fun of Jack's US Govovernment's overreaction --

State Department orders 5,000 BODY BAGS and 160,000 hazmat suits for African Ebola outbreak as Obama sends 100 CDC experts

The U.S. Agency for International Development ordered 5,000 body bags from a Florida company last month as part of its planned response to an outbreak of the Ebola virus in western Africa.

And as President Obama prepares to enlarge America's aid to affected countries, a company that makes protective clothing says the State Department, which oversees USAID, has invited bids for 160,000 hazmat suits.

The body-bag purchase came on August 19, just after the World Health Organization said the epidemic had killed 1,000 people. That death toll is now greater than 2,400.

The size of the contracts indicates how seriously governments are taking the threat, especially considering that all 5,000 body bags were destined only for Liberia – one of three countries whose citizens have been hammered with new disease cases and paralyzed with fear. (link)

Everything is under control. It will unlikely reach the US and the State Department, CDC, and DOD are on the case, under the central leadership of....hmmm.

Please see the other Ebola thread for comments from the imaginary "pro-Ebola" posters.

Given the nurse has contracted ebola while treating a victim in the USA it seems they can't even write a fitting Job Safety Analysis.

Please remain calm, and keep making fun of Jack's US Govovernment's overreaction --

State Department orders 5,000 BODY BAGS and 160,000 hazmat suits for African Ebola outbreak as Obama sends 100 CDC experts

The U.S. Agency for International Development ordered 5,000 body bags from a Florida company last month as part of its planned response to an outbreak of the Ebola virus in western Africa.

And as President Obama prepares to enlarge America's aid to affected countries, a company that makes protective clothing says the State Department, which oversees USAID, has invited bids for 160,000 hazmat suits.

The body-bag purchase came on August 19, just after the World Health Organization said the epidemic had killed 1,000 people. That death toll is now greater than 2,400.

The size of the contracts indicates how seriously governments are taking the threat, especially considering that all 5,000 body bags were destined only for Liberia – one of three countries whose citizens have been hammered with new disease cases and paralyzed with fear. (link)

Everything is under control. It will unlikely reach the US and the State Department, CDC, and DOD are on the case, under the central leadership of....hmmm.

Please see the other Ebola thread for comments from the imaginary "pro-Ebola" posters.

is that being panicking, or being prepared for the worst case?

The US is not prepared for the first case let alone the worst case!

Gonzalez: Hospital nurses claim lack of Ebola protocols are concerning

Texas Presbyterian Hospital administrators kept Thomas Duncan, the first person to die of Ebola in the U.S., waiting for hours in the emergency room with up to seven other patients before placing him in isolation, according to nurses at the Dallas hospital who issued a statement Tuesday night and answered questions through the nation’s biggest nursing union.

In an unusual telephone call, the nurses claimed:

-The hospital had no protocols in place to handle Ebola cases.

-Supervisors walked in and out of Duncan’s isolation room without proper protective gear

Duncan’s lab specimens were moved through the hospital’s pneumatic tube system instead of being separately sealed and delivered, and thus “the entire tube system was potentially contaminated.”

-Nurses were not fully covered in protective gear, with their wrists, necks and heads exposed to possible contamination

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/gonzalez-hospital-nurses-claim-lack-ebola-protocols-article-1.1974703

Dizzy yet?

You mean like Jack suggested?

Meanwhile --

2nd healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola at Dallas hospital

Meanwhile --

As a courtesy to the others I orders a gross of shovels on Amazon for overnight delivery. Might as well help then keep digging.

Not that there is anything funny about this but I have to wonder why they interpreted worry in the title to be synonymous with them catching ebola. None of us has to contract Ebola to be impacted by it. It almost sounds like "as long as they don't get it who cares who it kills. A few nurses here and there are meaningless compared to other causes of death so they don't matter", is how it comes across to me. I'm sure I saw one of them post something about it is just one case.

And then there's this troubling realization --

CDC chief: Dallas Ebola case needed ‘more robust’ team than agency sent

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged Tuesday that the agency should have sent “a more robust hospital infection control team” to Dallas immediately after learning that a man from West Africa had Ebola.

Dr. Tom Frieden said his agency will do much more, establishing a CDC Ebola response team.

“I wish we had put a team like this on the ground the day the patient — the first patient — was diagnosed,” he said. “We will do that from today onward with any case anywhere in the U.S.” (link)

Meanwhile --

That will be OK though according to Sol.

He is demanding more precision to keep the sarcasm in line. Ebola in the US now only counts if isomeone on SA contracts it. That is apparently is his current definition of 'us'. From the OP, "With that in mind, we need to know who among us has contracted Ebola".

This will likely change to PA should someone who posted once on AC or Cruising Anarchy contracts it.

Careful boys. Ebola can spread via semen. Don't spoil our SA perfect record with your celebratory circle jerk. There's a long way to go to get to the promised land of epidemic.

OMG! Ebola! I hope they find that monkey soon... or we are ALL dead! (or was that just some movie I saw?)

Meanwhile --

As a courtesy to the others I orders a gross of shovels on Amazon for overnight delivery. Might as well help then keep digging.

Not that there is anything funny about this but I have to wonder why they interpreted worry in the title to be synonymous with them catching ebola. None of us has to contract Ebola to be impacted by it. It almost sounds like "as long as they don't get it who cares who it kills. A few nurses here and there are meaningless compared to other causes of death so they don't matter", is how it comes across to me. I'm sure I saw one of them post something about it is just one case.

So, this thread is, once again, about Ebola?

And you talk about others getting dizzy.

This thread is about preparing for the end of civilization as we know it. And how the Mormons are prepared. And you can be too, if you just buy their survival packs. I'm mostly through my 2nd pack now and have two more on order.

What I found very interesting about Friedens interview last night is that he said ,obviously protocols were breached' because the nurse was infected. They have no idea what that nurse did or didnt do. Same goes for the second worker.

That guy is about as deep as the page from which his words are read from. I wish we'd hear from those that were actually making decisions, determining the protocol, etc. .... you know - an expert or something.

What I found very interesting about Friedens interview last night is that he said ,obviously protocols were breached' because the nurse was infected. They have no idea what that nurse did or didnt do. Same goes for the second worker.

That guy is about as deep as the page from which his words are read from. I wish we'd hear from those that were actually making decisions, determining the protocol, etc. .... you know - an expert or something.

It's politics 24/7 for liberals. They're more worried about a political contagion spreading than a viral one and are worried, no doubt, about opposition to their open-borders plan. Travel bans for blacks (mostly) from West Africa or closing the "brown"border crossing is bad optics. National defense and public health are only secondary considerations.