Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

This is a get-out-the vote drive. More people died in one school shooting today than have died in this hideous Ebola outbreak that has become the scourge of our times. This isn't about keeping people safe it is about making them feel unsafe so that the are sure to go to the polls. Watch how long this story lasts after the election.

4900 died in a shooting? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

Apparently they are chicken feed to Sol.

compared to malaria? http://www.who.int/malaria/media/world_malaria_report_2013/en/

This is a get-out-the vote drive. More people died in one school shooting today than have died in this hideous Ebola outbreak that has become the scourge of our times. This isn't about keeping people safe it is about making them feel unsafe so that the are sure to go to the polls. Watch how long this story lasts after the election.

not in A shooting but by being shot? about 6 times that number in the u.s. alone. what's your prepper plan for that jack?

not in A shooting but by being shot? about 6 times that number in the u.s. alone. what's your prepper plan for that jack?

compared to malaria? http://www.who.int/malaria/media/world_malaria_report_2013/en/

Tell me about it. My daughter almost died from it during her last MSF tour in the Congo. That and insurgents boarding the evacuation bus and threatening to kill them.

No good deed goes unpunished.

You don't expect an honest, fallacy free argument, do you? Shame on you for noticing an apples to oranges fallacy, wrapped in an ad hominem.

That still won't make me change my opinion about an Ebola outbreak here, but some folks just cant handle folks with different opinions.

Since most of those are suicides, a good prepper plan would be none at all. I'm as prepared as I'm ever going to be for other people to commit suicide and don't feel that any further preparation is necessary.

Target Practice.

1587293.jpg

Guest One of Five

You people really have a difficult time with anyone looking to "be prepared". WTF is up with that - where I come from that's called being responsible.

Start a prepper thread.

See what happens.

Nothing wrong with being prepared for a threat that you actually face, but I face far more likely threats than Ebola, and am therefore not worried about an Ebola outbreak here. People come here to be cured of it, after all.

Start a prepper thread?!? Man, I'm not sure we're prepared for that.

1414093679233_Image_galleryImage_1044202

How does someone dressed like this get Ebola?

Read the New Yorker article, it is surprisingly quite easy to transfer the Ebola virus.

Patients with Ebola sweat profusely, and have diarrhea. Health care professionals spend a lot if time cleaning, wiping down, changing clothes, changing bedding.

To be infected with the Ebola virus, a tiny speck of fluid is all that is needed to make contact with the healthy person.

Then, when they healthy person does something like rub the eyelids, the virus can get into the bloodstream.

What is even more surprising, the man in the background taking the photo, with no protective gear, WTF?

3,000 US troops hitting the deck. Think they might bring home souvenirs?

You people really have a difficult time with anyone looking to "be prepared". WTF is up with that - where I come from that's called being responsible.

Oh no, you are wrong, they are more than willing to prep for global warming.

It's ok, Christie and Cuomo will quarantine them for their service.

As long as the epidemic is spreading in Africa, I think it will make its way here.

That's why I think Cuomo and Christie overreacted to the sick doctor by quarantining any returning health care workers who had treated Ebola patients.

They put her in a tent?

Doctors and nurses don't have to go to Africa and try to get this disease under control. It's not a pleasure trip either. If you tell them they have to live in a tent with no shower and crap in a porta potty for three weeks, it makes the whole idea even less appealing. Yes, that's somehow possible.

A tent. Geezus.

So yes, I'm worried that we will see more returning workers show up sick. Not so worried that I think a typical political overreaction is a good idea. Glad to see Christie has backed down on the tent thing.

I'll probably catch hell for this but I'm no more worried about ebola than cholera. Cholera, from a bacteria, is absolutely deadly unless treated with modern medicines but is relatively easily managed from that perspective. What I see of ebola is that it is fatal without immediate treatment, once it gets established in a victim the game is over but if treatment is begun immediately at outset it is manageable.

Those who have an unreasonable fear of ebola should walk around with a thermometer in hand, check your temp. every twenty minutes and go to the emergency room if you have a fever of 101.

Christie and Cuomo the latest flip-floppers:

One day after New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said he had “no second thoughts” about forcing a quarantine on a nurse, Kaci Hickox, who had tested negative for Ebola, the Republican loosened his grip and agreed to transfer her to Maine where she lives.

The governor’s office announced Monday morning in a statement that the nurse – after being symptom-free for the last 24 hours – would adhere to her request to be moved to the state. At that point, Maine can “make a determination under their own laws” on whether to continue the quarantine, the statement read.

Christie’s office rushed to justify the nurse’s quarantine, arguing that she had been symptomatic after returning from treating Ebola patients in Sierra Leone. She disputed this from the start, writing in an Op-Ed in a Dallas newspaper Sunday that airport officials used an unreliable forehead thermometer while she was flushed after being questioned for hours.

On Sunday, the governor’s spokesman said “New Jersey is not changing its quarantine protocol” and in their statement on Monday, his office was quick to note that the policy was still not changing and she’d remain quarantined while in New Jersey.

The decision to release her comes after much criticism: Hickox hired a lawyer Sunday to challenge the legality of her detainment in a tent at University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey. On the same day, the American Civil Liberties Union questioned Christie’s constitutional authority and asked him to explain the legality of what he’d done.

Related: Is Ebola the ‘October surprise’ this midterm?

Christie’s not alone. The fight over quarantines is a battle that’s playing out across the country, with lawmakers – particularly those on 2014 ballots or eyeing a 2016 White House bid – responding to the public’s fear with strict measures. But government and health officials have consistently urged calm and encourage restrictions based on the science of Ebola, which shows that before a person shows symptoms, they aren’t contagious.

According to a senior administration official, the White House reached out to states with forced quarantines to express their concerns that it was medically unnecessary and it could disincentivize medical volunteers badly needed in West Africa. The Christie administration pushed back against this on Sunday, saying “it would be inaccurate to say anyone in the Obama administration reached out to Gov. Christie or anyone in his administration.”

In New York, potential 2016 contender Democrat Andrew Cuomo initially announced a mandatory 21-day quarantine period with twice-daily unannounced visits from health officials. Responding to mounting pressure, Cuomo on Sunday night said quarantines could be spent at home amongst family and that the state would arrange to help medical professionals financially if their organization or Doctors Without Borders won’t pay them for the time of their quarantine.

Now that's funny ... Oh wait the Pentagon just quarantined, in Italy, the first soldiers to return. This Obama dude don't know if he's a com'n or go'n ...

Hey Flash I think you stepped in something so you might want to wash your foot before putting it back in your mouth.

e63tae.png

Maybe our Ebola tsar should have been on the Sunday Talk shows explaining this instead of letting the reporters go nuts without adult supervision.

Maybe our Ebola tsar should have been on the Sunday Talk shows explaining this instead of letting the reporters go nuts without adult supervision.

Awaiting the latest polling data to know how to respond.

Yes I regret posting a call for a flight ban ... Oh wait I never posted a call for a flight ban.

good point, it's hard to fly if you're confined to a bunker. With your rice. What do you do with the waste again?

Guest One of Five

Now that's funny ... Oh wait the Pentagon just quarantined, in Italy, the first soldiers to return. This Obama dude don't know if he's a com'n or go'n ...

Hey Flash I think you stepped in something so you might want to wash your foot before putting it back in your mouth.

e63tae.png

Ahh lovely Vicenza!! The asshole of Italy.

The gateway for the US to repel the Russkies through the Brenner Pass.

But they make lovely chandeliers there...

Guest One of Five

Awaiting the latest polling data to know how to respond.

One would think he has the healthcare interest of the Nation at heart - oh wait - he was appointed by Obama.... silly me.

Ebola Czar Ron Klain Says "Overpopulation" Top Concern.. Hmm. coffee1.gif

He got in the obligatory "climate change is causing disruption" comment into the clip- that should take care of any doubts.

I supported a centralized coordinator to handle this, and I still do. However it has been 10 days since he was appointed and there appears to be very little coordination. I'm beginning to think the appointment was based simply on political expediency.

e63tae.png

Ahh lovely Vicenza!! The asshole of Italy.

The gateway for the US to repel the Russkies through the Brenner Pass.

But they make lovely chandeliers there...

WTF are you on about? Vicenza may not be as "nice" as Milan or Torino, but, it's not the asshole of anything. I'd have to suggest that several communities south of Rome would better fit that description.

Still not sure why I should worry about an Ebola outbreak here. Has anyone in the US been infected who was not having direct contact with an Ebola patient?

Do you agree with Australia for imposing a travel ban?

Ebola Czar Ron Klain Says "Overpopulation" Top Concern.. Hmm. coffee1.gif

Is that like saying Ebola is a Godsend?

In other NEWS those wacky downunders ...

2hz3ex1.png

I'm more interested in that French language video.

States go one way, the US Military goes another way. We might fly foreign Ebola patients here immediately whilst our troops are quarantined in Italy -

State Department plans to bring foreign Ebola patients to U.S.

The State Department has quietly made plans to bring Ebola-infected doctors and medical aides to the U.S. for treatment, according to an internal department document that argued the only way to get other countries to send medical teams to West Africa is to promise that the U.S. will be the world’s medical backstop.

Some countries “are implicitly or explicitly waiting for medevac assurances” before they will agree to send their own medical teams to join U.S. and U.N. aid workers on the ground, the State Department argues in the undated four-page memo, which was reviewed by The Washington Times. (link)

I wish the Czar would come out of hiding and coordinate this clusterfuck.
Edit - Maybe some of the panic in the US is based on the lack of a consistent message?

why the F do we have "czars" of anything? "Homeland" security, Czars - might as well invite the Russians on in, they've already taken over.

why the F do we have "czars" of anything? "Homeland" security, Czars - might as well invite the Russians on in, they've already taken over.

The Czar has been appointed. We will hear from Klein on Meet the Press this Sunday....or Susan Rice.

Remain calm.

So we're down to a one-person epidemic, despite two different people bringing Ebola back from abroad, and not a single person in the US has contracted Ebola who was not in direct contact with an Ebola patient. Kinda shows why I am not worried about Ebola coming here.

This is Political Anarchy, Sol. Me and my LIS socks want to know - has our government handled this well?

i really don't care about the "politics"

Republicans are using Ebola as another fear tactic to get out the vote. So chalk one up to Team Red.

Republicans are using Ebola as another fear tactic to get out the vote. So chalk one up to Team Red.

The Joint Chiefs are a bunch of political hacks. Got it.

No.

People who seize on every opportunity to score political points by attacking the opposition are political hacks.

No.

People who seize on every opportunity to score political points by attacking the opposition are political hacks.

Speaking of political hacks - when do you think we'll hear from the new Ebola Czar? Maybe he can clear up the disparity between the Administration's position wrt NY and NJ quarantines and that of the DOD.

This is a health care issue, but it is also political. Another glaring example of government incompetence. Before Ebola came here, there was little chance it would come here. If it did come here, we were well equipped to deal with it....until it actually got here. Now our government is changing protocols every few days and sending very mixed signals.

The panic has been caused, IMO, by incompetence and mixed messages at the federal level.

How many people have contracted Ebola in the US, who were not in direct contact with an Ebola patient, providing medical care?

How many people have contracted Ebola in the US, who were not in direct contact with an Ebola patient, providing medical care?

More than the number of people here on SA, thanks to your posters and admonitions to keep vigilant.

A better question is - How many times has the CDC changed protocol for people providing medical care?

Oh great. The doctor lied to us about his movements in NYC.

How can we blame Obama for this man being untruthful?

Don't worry, someone will be along soon and do just that.

Well, if he manages to infect someone in the US who was not in direct contact with him, providing medical care, it will be a first.

We can't blame Obama. We simply have to trust that medical professionals and others who have had contact with Ebola will be responsible and self quarantine.... unless they are in the military....then they get a 3 week holiday in Italy.

We can't blame Obama. We simply have to trust that medical professionals and others who have had contact with Ebola will be responsible and self quarantine.... unless they are in the military....then they get a 3 week holiday in Italy.

I truly believe someone on these forums will manage to blame Obama. I wish my experience here did not lead me to predict that.

What do you think this "someone" would blame Obama for?

Spencer, 33, returned to New York from Guinea on Oct. 17 and was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center on the morning of Oct. 23 with fatigue, nausea, and a 100-degree fever. In the intervening period, he traveled on three of the city's most heavily-trafficked subway lines, visited the High Line park and a Greenwich Village restaurant in lower Manhattan, and went for a three-mile run before going bowling at an alley in Brooklyn the day before he was hospitalized.

This is why I noted at post 1712 that we need to take their bowling balls away. Better bowling ball control will solve the problem.

I blame Obama.

>Spencer, 33, returned to New York from Guinea on Oct. 17 and was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center on the morning of Oct. 23 with fatigue, nausea, and a 100-degree fever. In the intervening period, he traveled on three of the city's most heavily-trafficked subway lines, visited the High Line park and a Greenwich Village restaurant in lower Manhattan, and went for a three-mile run before going bowling at an alley in Brooklyn the day before he was hospitalized.

This is why I noted at post 1712 that we need to take their bowling balls away. Better bowling ball control will solve the problem.

I blame Obama.

Wasn't he with Doctors Without Borders? Don't they have superior protocols than the CDC? Seems DWB isn't much better than Dallas Emergency Rooms.

Breathing, having been elected, being black.

It seems Grumpy hasn't been paying attention.

You left out, incompetent. I blame him for being incompetent.

You left out, incompetent. I blame him for being incompetent.

Because of Ebola? How many Americans have contracted Ebola who were not in direct contact with Ebola patients, providing care?

Italy is in an uproar over the US using them as a quarantine. I can't say I blame them. I suppose we'd be pissed it the Europeans started using American locations to isolate their potentially infectious cases.

Once more the Obama Admin. Fails to think something through.

Guest One of Five

Italy is in an uproar over the US using them as a quarantine. I can't say I blame them. I suppose we'd be pissed it the Europeans started using American locations to isolate their potentially infectious cases.

Once more the Obama Admin. Fails to think something through.

It's Vicenza... I mean like who cares?

So glad he offered up this advice. You never know when you might find something tasty, just lying there.

Seriously, in my first lecture in nursing school we were told, "if it's wet and sticky and it ain't yours don't touch it!"

Maybe a highway ad campaign? Bill boards?

Sounds like common sense. So, how many folks in the US have contracted Ebola who were not in direct contact with/caring for an Ebola patient? What are the numbers up to in this Great Plague of our Times?

A new, Great Plague is possible but this ain't it. I do worry about crying wolf...

Look at the HIV numbers, they are huge, we're just numb to the misery.

A new, Great Plague is possible but this ain't it. I do worry about crying wolf...

This is just a party-in-power-can't-protect-us campaign to get out the vote. If it wasn't, we would have an answer to that question I've been asking about how many people in the US have contracted Ebola, who were not in direct contact/providing care for an Ebola patient, instead of goonish ad hominems and misdirections.

Except HIV requires specific behavior to contract. With Ebola a sneeze will suffice.

Except HIV requires specific behavior to contract. With Ebola a sneeze will suffice.

I think you can get HIV if they sneeze on you too. Of course if they have a bloody nose.

This is just a party-in-power-can't-protect-us campaign to get out the vote. If it wasn't, we would have an answer to that question I've been asking about how many people in the US have contracted Ebola, who were not in direct contact/providing care for an Ebola patient, instead of goonish ad hominems and misdirections.

I read that Ebola is airborne.

Tool.

Tool.

Well that nurse did fly to Ohio.

Look on the bright side.

Less than two weeks until all of the epidemic and panic in this country is over.

Less than two weeks until all of the epidemic and panic in this country is over.

And all the usual suspects will declare the quarantines were successful.

this epidemic will be over Wednesday at 9am, Eastern.

this epidemic will be over Wednesday at 9am, Eastern.

Thank God. At that point I will cease my hourly prayers.

What if they had an epidemic and nobody got sick?

your prayers have been answered. Keep it up.

Tool.

Good gravy dude you are as dumb as a wet cow pie.

Exactly how do you think Duncan got here. I'll even give you a hint, he didn't swim.

The whole flight restrictions effort is to keep Ebola on the ground.

How many Liberians have the coin for an airplane ticket? Especially sick ones? Seems the travel ban would only effect aid workers.