Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

Are you saying that the CDC said that airborne transmission of Ebola is possible? If so, cite please.

You are getting all worked up about the CDC's definition of airborne? Fine, Sol.

The CDC should update their posters to say that "You cannot get Ebola through the air, but you can contract Ebola if you are exposed to droplets from a sneeze which are borne through the air and land in your eyes, nose, mouth or a doorknob that you may come in contact with."

You are absolutely right, though, Sol. According to the CDC definition, Ebola is not airborne. I humbly cede that point.

Are you saying that the CDC said that airborne transmission of Ebola is possible? If so, cite please.

You are getting all worked up about the CDC's definition of airborne? Fine, Sol.

The CDC should update their posters to say that "You cannot get Ebola through the air, but you can contract Ebola if you are exposed to droplets from a sneeze which are borne through the air and land in your eyes, nose, mouth or a doorknob that you may come in contact with."

You are absolutely right, though, Sol. According to the CDC definition, Ebola is not airborne. I humbly cede that point.

Nah. They already had bodily fluids covered.

Is there anyone who wants to argue that a resonably intelligent person would not know that the spray from a sneeze is considered a bodily fluid?

Oh come on. Ever seen an artery that's been cut, with blood spraying around? That's airborne transmission! Imagine! Imagine if CDC didn't already list saliva as one of the bodily fluids.

Imagine if this image were not still available on the CDC website. imagine it!

infographic.jpg

Go the Fearbola! Spreads through Superior Knowledge ®.

Is there anyone who wants to argue that a resonably intelligent person would not know that the spray from a sneeze is considered a bodily fluid?

A sneeze where droplets are airborne, but "you can't get Ebola through the air"?

Fine, BD. The poster above is clear as day. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be confused.

A sneeze where droplets are airborne, but "you can't get Ebola through the air"?

Fine, BD. The poster above is clear as day. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be confused.

Semantics are important.

Since mucus droplets flying through the air are considered "airborne", it is important to note that it is possible to contract Ebola though airborne means.

Rhinoviruses are also transmitted through the air.

Are you suggesting they are transmitted the same way?

There is a buttload (scientific term) of evidence that indicates I can catch the common cold from someone breathing in my proximity.

Is anyone alleging the same to be true of Ebola?

Stop picking nits.

The whole point of telling us that it is not airborne was to calm fear that traveling in a plane was safe. Knowing what the CDC admits today do you still feel safe sitting near an infected carrier?

Saying a sneeze it not airborne is comical. (Note I originally mistyped comical and the auto correct change it to Criminal) Maybe my computer is right.

2zs9m5l.png

2s7j2ab.png

I notice that the flyer from the cdc is not what you think it is. It is not a Warning that "Hey you can get Ebola if an infected person sneezes on you" it is a CYA attempt to argue that there is a semantic difference between Airborne and Sneezeborne.

You would thing that their first duty would be to update the posters that tell you how to avoid Ebola not make excuses to cover their asses.

Semantics are important.

Since mucus droplets flying through the air are considered "airborne", it is important to note that it is possible to contract Ebola though airborne means.

There is a buttload (scientific term) of evidence that indicates I can catch the common cold from someone breathing in my proximity.

Stop picking nits.

I'm picking nits? Sure. I suppose that's why the CDC released a new poster which you can find here - What's the difference between infections spread through the air or by droplets? Talk about picking nits, FFS.

I would have provided a link to the poster on the CDC website, but that link says "Fact sheet is being updated and is currently unavailable." (link)

"You can't get Ebola through the air" is absolutely false.

This what they had a duty to publish ... not that CYA excuse bull shit they did publish ... I never ever thought the CDC would be a politics before safety organization.

2zjc320.png

if it wasn't clear I created this version ... it is not a CDC document.

Semantics are important.

Stop picking nits.

My concern is the concentration of people in the urban environment. Lots more folks on a NY subway than in an African rain forest.

Could ebola get out of hand and become endemic to the U.S. just as aids has? Yes, but I don't see it becoming nearly as deadly. We do have thermometers and hospitals. Not so much in rural Africa.

...and we're vigilant.

Good to see the big government types wishing ill on those standing up to big brother.

meanwhile, at the CDC:

Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, by food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats. There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only a few species of mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys, and apes) have shown the ability to become infected with and spread Ebola virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html?s_cid=cs_3923

Someone needs to inform the CDC that they changed their mind so that they can update their website.

Good to see the big government types wishing ill on those standing up to big brother.

meanwhile, at the CDC:

Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, by food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats. There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only a few species of mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys, and apes) have shown the ability to become infected with and spread Ebola virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html?s_cid=cs_3923

Someone needs to inform the CDC that they changed their mind so that they can update their website.

If "Ebola is not spread through the air", does that mean I would have to be kissing someone who sneezed to have a chance of infection?

Still waiting for the CDC to update --http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/infections-spread-by-air-or-droplets.pdf

Would't it be poetic justice if that twit Kaci Hickox came down with Ebola. I wouldn't want her to die but at least scare the shit out of her.

It would also be poetic justice if someone shipped you off to Liberia to help people.

Would't it be poetic justice if that twit Kaci Hickox came down with Ebola. I wouldn't want her to die but at least scare the shit out of her.

It would also be poetic justice if someone shipped you off to Liberia to help people.

Wonderful!

Semantics are important.

Stop picking nits.

I'm picking nits? Sure. I suppose that's why the CDC released a new poster which you can find here - What's the difference between infections spread through the air or by droplets? Talk about picking nits, FFS.

I would have provided a link to the poster on the CDC website, but that link says "Fact sheet is being updated and is currently unavailable." (link)

"You can't get Ebola through the air" is absolutely false.

As I understand it, you breathing on me cannot be a method of transmission. Do you see it the same way?

You sneezing on me introduces bodily fluids. That changes things, completely. Then again, it is pretty clear the virus needs a point of ingress (mouth, eyes, broken skin, etc.), so just the sneeze won't do it.

As long as you continue to focus on bodily fluids, thrown into the air in a sneeze, you will fail to see that Ebola is not transmitted because of air.

As long as you continue to focus on bodily fluids, thrown into the air in a sneeze, you will fail to see that Ebola is not transmitted because of air.

Not because of air. Merely through air. Do I have it right?

Blood from a severed artery will throw the virus through the air. Does that make the virus airborne?

Blood from a severed artery will throw the virus through the air. Does that make the virus airborne?

Yes.

I'm not quite sure what you and Tom are arguing about, I suggest a quick trip to google for a plethora of definitions. Start with "airborne pathogen".

There is no miasma but there can be bugs floating around in the air. If you breathe them in you can get sick.

If one of the circle jerkers gets Ebola the others will get it via airborne transmission when he unloads on them? Sounds more like direct contact, which would explain why the CDC still says you cannot get it through the air. .

If one of the circle jerkers gets Ebola the others will get it via airborne transmission when he unloads on them? Sounds more like direct contact, which would explain why the CDC still says you cannot get it through the air. .

Unless someone who has symptoms sneezes into said air within a few feet of you.

I don't fear an Ebola epidemic here, and I never did. I'm simply pointing out that the reassurances from our government are based on moving targets wrt protocol and serve to feed the media hype.

The circle jerkers are are getting off on government incompetence.

If the blood from the severed artery is borne through the air? Yes. Sneezes are far more common on a bus than someone suffering from a spontaneous artery explosion or some idiot yanking down his pants and spraying diarrhea. The CDC is feeding the fire of the so called "panic"

Who's picking nits?

Q&As on Transmission What are body fluids?

Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen.

What does “direct contact” mean?

Direct contact means that body fluids (blood, saliva, mucus, vomit, urine, or feces) from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose, or mouth or an open cut, wound, or abrasion.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Sounds like quite a change in position on their part. Not quite as big a flip flop as "you are quarantined. Now you can go home but please stay there", but a sea change of position....

This what they had a duty to publish ... not that CYA excuse bull shit they did publish ... I never ever thought the CDC would be a politics before safety organization.

2zjc320.png

You should have removed the CDC footer from that arts and grafts project.

I don't fear an Ebola epidemic here, and I never did. I'm simply pointing out that the reassurances from our government are based on moving targets wrt protocol and serve to feed the media hype.

So, you aren't worried about an ebola epidemic, you concede there is media hype, and you still want the govt to limit people's liberties via travel restrictions, quarantines an such.

You are a perfect example of why anybody with two neurons to splice together knows that Republicans are THE big govt party.

Yes.

I'm not quite sure what you and Tom are arguing about, I suggest a quick trip to google for a plethora of definitions. Start with "airborne pathogen".

There is no miasma but there can be bugs floating around in the air. If you breathe them in you can get sick.

I was wrong. Arterial spray would still be contact exposure.

So, you aren't worried about an ebola epidemic, you concede there is media hype, and you still want the govt to limit people's liberties via travel restrictions, quarantines an such.

You are a perfect example of why anybody with two neurons to splice together knows that Republicans are THE big govt party.

Bolded above - No I do not. Where did you get that idea?

You are a perfect example of a reactionary, political hack that only sees black and white.

I suppose you have some expertise in containing Ebola? If you do, please volunteer to be the Czar's go-to guy.

For some reason that reminds me of the whole bit about the government saying you can protect yourself from chemical weapons by duct taping your windows.

You know, that works. It just seemed funny at the time. You might notice the folks in the contamination suits taping the joints. Maybe you should tell them that's stupid.

Seems everything on earth is airborne. Now you go to space, then that isn't true. Scientifically speaking.

2zjc320.png

No but the CDC should have been embarrassed to put it on their original

So, if I puke, the virus is "airborne". Unless, I puke in a vacuum.

From the cite

"Body fluids include saliva, mucus ..."

which means it can be contained in airborne boogerlets in a sneeze or cough.

2zjc320.png

No but the CDC should have been embarrassed to put it on their original

5o5 is too sight impaired to take note of the new document date/time stamp. (bottom right bright eyes)

Uh oh. The Gray Lady went back to being liberal and posted a bunch of librul science hooey. Thank goodness we have tracked this thing from early on, to make sure we avoid contact with SAers who have Ebola. That's the reason we have our perfect record intact. Vigilance!

Awesome link, btw.

That link seems to conflict with the CDC cartoon above, specifically the part about being within three feet of a person being considered "direct contact." The cartoon gives me the impression that merely being that close to a person should be no problem.

The new cartoon clears things up quite a bit.

Lots of talk about "direct contact" in the early pages of this thread. On page 11, we learned that "direct contact" doesn't mean what we were all hoping it meant as teenagers.

Maybe Ebola can't be spread by a sneeze anymore. We'll have to wait until the CDC actually responds to the question -

CDC pulls poster saying Ebola can spread through a sneeze

The ​U.S. ​​Centers for Disease Control on Thursday yanked a poster off its Web site explaining how Ebola can be spread by contaminated droplets — from a sneeze for example — a day after The Post reported on the frightening revelation.

The fact sheet was taken off line, and a link that led to it a day before now sends viewers to a different page with a different message.

“The ​’​What’s the difference between infections spread through air or by droplets?​’​ ​f​act sheet is being updated and is currently unavailable. Please visit cdc.gov/Ebola for up-to-date information on Ebola,” it read​ Thursday​.

Officials ​with the CDC ​remained mum on the issue, refusing to respond to questions for the original story and again on Thursday. (link)

I wonder if politics has anything to do with this science?

The NY Times link above still says this:

Ebola does not cause respiratory problems, but a cough from a sick patient could infect someone close enough to be sprayed with droplets of mucus or saliva. Droplets can generally fly about three feet, so people dealing with anyone who may be ill are told to stand at least three feet away, preferably six. Being within three feet of a patient for a prolonged time, without wearing protective gear, is considered direct contact, Dr. Frieden said.

It's not clear whether Dr. Frieden is spreading librul hooey or not.

Ebola does not cause respiratory problems, but a cough from a sick patient could infect someone close enough to be sprayed with droplets of mucus or saliva. Droplets can generally fly about three feet, so people dealing with anyone who may be ill are told to stand at least three feet away, preferably six. Being within three feet of a patient for a prolonged time, without wearing protective gear, is considered direct contact, Dr. Frieden said.

CDC has some interesting definitions -- Spittle from a sneeze which is borne through the air is not "airborne", and one can be in "direct contact" from three feet away.....or maybe even six.

If they want to educate the public, they should simply speak the the same English the rest of us do.

Non-hysterical facts for those that can read: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

"SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C)

Footnote52Footnote61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20°C and 25°C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

A study on transmission of ebolavirus from fomites in an isolation ward concludes that the risk of transmission is low when recommended infection control guidelines for viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed Footnote64. Infection control protocols included decontamination of floors with 0.5% bleach daily and decontamination of visibly contaminated surfaces with 0.05% bleach as necessary."

Unlike you who sits on your ass all day, I actually help people live a better life. Why would that twit not isolate her self? She must of gotten in to nursing school by sleeping with somebody.

You must be proud of yourself, just not quite proud enough to share your identity nor how you help.

The twit didn't have symptoms, that's why. It's also why sticking her in a tent for a few days was an overreaction by government.

CDC has some interesting definitions -- Spittle from a sneeze which is borne through the air is not "airborne", and one can be in "direct contact" from three feet away.....or maybe even six.

If they want to educate the public, they should simply speak the the same English the rest of us do.

Words have meanings. Do you want the government to use incorrect definitions?

Or, would you rather they use correct definitions, and then explain what the words mean?

still not worried about personal risk

i'm absolutely taking personal responsibility for my and my family's risk for this, and other threats.

of course, I spend more resources ensuring we're prepped for an earthquake, but that's because the risk of a quake is infinitely higher than the risk of ebola for us, as the risk of ebola is somewhere down at about the same risk of getting attacked by a rabid armadillo on my train ride.

Imo ebola is a legitimate concern, as are all infectious diseases. It is just that it has show itself to be manageable. If you live near modern medical facilities there is little risk.

If I was a healthcare worker, I'd be a little more on my toes than usual. However, there's nasty crap in hospitals already, so staying on top of communicable diseases would be a normal procedure.

Guest One of Five

... and that's why someone who is "politically reliable" has stepped in as Czar. If the Czar puts out bad information it's because he doesn't have a science background. Perfect. He'll say all the right things.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/health/us-ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"A Maine judge on Friday ruled that state health officials failed to prove the need for an order enforcing an Ebola quarantine for a nurse who defied the quarantine in a tense standoff with state authorities. District Court Chief Judge Charles LaVerdiere ordered nurse Kaci Hickox, who recently returned to the United States after treating Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, to submit to "direct active monitoring," coordinate travel with public health officials and immediately notify health authorities should symptoms appear. Her attorney, Norman Siegel, called the decision a victory. On Thursday, the judge had ordered stricter limits on Hickox."

Here's some good content for those who are afraid of Ebola. If you fear Ebola, you should really get off on this:

http://ipc.gov.ns.ca/sites/default/files/OccupationalManagementofCommunicableDiseasesExposureandIllness.pdf

I don't fear Ebola...I fear our leaders ability to protect us from Ebola.

Typical Liberal response...no personal responsibility. You led with your chin on that one.

For some reason that reminds me of the whole bit about the government saying you can protect yourself from chemical weapons by duct taping your windows.

You know, that works. It just seemed funny at the time. You might notice the folks in the contamination suits taping the joints. Maybe you should tell them that's stupid.

Putting tape on the seams of an otherwise sealed suit is quite different from taping around your windows to seal your house. Attics have vents, fireplaces allow air to be exchanged, etc...

Non-hysterical facts for those that can read: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

"SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C)

Footnote52Footnote61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20°C and 25°C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

A study on transmission of ebolavirus from fomites in an isolation ward concludes that the risk of transmission is low when recommended infection control guidelines for viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed Footnote64. Infection control protocols included decontamination of floors with 0.5% bleach daily and decontamination of visibly contaminated surfaces with 0.05% bleach as necessary."

OMG!!!

I just had some filopastry the other day!

Unbelievable... The CDC document trying to explain away the semantic difference between Airborne and Sneeze Borne disappeared less than a day after it was posted on the CDC web page now this revised version pops up.

Can anyone spot the big change? (big Blue arrows are a clue)

First here is the original version

2iqzh1h.png

Then the revised publication

2ykjslx.png

These clowns are like a frikkin goose with its head lopped off.

Hey Obama is anyone in charge here?

Good job Barry.

mmmm, big fonts and bright colors.....

Have you come out of your bunker yet? Getting low on rice? What do you do with the waste products?

So the rocket scientists at the CDC went from a definite "Less than 3 feet" to a wishy washy "Less than about 6 feet" in under 24 hours....

mmmm, big fonts and bright colors.....

Have you come out of your bunker yet? Getting low on rice? What do you do with the waste products?

The big fonts and simple words are a courtesy to you. You are welcome.

Hey btw Ronald Reagan served in the Military. You need to set the record straight and correct your lie.

RR served. I stand corrected.

Better than your previous response when I challenged your lie.

Remember this ?

soxp3r.png

still not worried.

Wow - you didn't even understand the conclusion of the study....

I'm no expert in Ebola, or communicable diseases for that matter, nor will I ever be, and I will rely on the experts and our excellent health infrastructure to contain this, and other nasty things that are outside my control, like shoe bombers, etc.

So the rocket scientists at the CDC went from a definite "Less than 3 feet" to a wishy washy "Less than about 6 feet" in under 24 hours....

They should have said " less than 20 feet". That would have covered all their bases

I find it amazing that this administration addresses the American public on a 5th grade level during a State of the Union address, yet feels they can create a sense of calm by assuring people that Ebola is not airborne but can be borne by air. Have no fear - you can't get it by inhaling someone else's breath on a train, unless that person's breath is the driving force behind a sneeze --- then you'll be fine if you are six feet away and don't touch a doorknob for an hour or so.

I hope when the Ebola Czar Susan Rice appears on the Sunday shows this weekend, she takes the time to explain that we have nothing to fear from Ebola and that the problem is the American people don't understand the medical nomenclature on the posters.

I find it amazing that the same party that wants its children to be educated to believe that Jesus roamed with dinosaurs now wants to lead as to what is the correct exposures to deadly viruses. Do viruses even exist in their world? I think any statements coming from that side of science should be accompanied with an automatic disclaimer.

Wow - you didn't even understand the conclusion of the study....

I'm no expert in Ebola, or communicable diseases for that matter, nor will I ever be, and I will rely on the experts and our excellent health infrastructure to contain this, and other nasty things that are outside my control, like shoe bombers, etc.

The same experts that said 3 feet yesterday and after they were embarrassed by a Mythbusters YouTube video, changed it today to 6 feet without ever telling anyone that 3 feet is wrong.

and your point is? Oh, that's right, you're ignorant, and can't even see it...

I find it amazing that the same party that wants its children to be educated to believe that Jesus roamed with dinosaurs now wants to lead as to what is the correct exposures to deadly viruses. Do viruses even exist in their world? I think any statements coming from that side of science should be accompanied with an automatic disclaimer.

Which party is that? Cite?

Get out of PA and your mom's basement, BL. Use Google - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jesus+evolution+pope+francis

Disclaimer - No disrespect to Democrat Catholics, Democrat anti-abortion fundamental Christians, Jews, Muslims or any other religions. I'm all for religious tolerence, except for those who believe Jesus walked with dinosaurs .... or think strapping on a suicide vest and blowing up a bus is a good way to get laid by a bevy of virgins.

Unlike you who sits on your ass all day, I actually help people live a better life. Why would that twit not isolate her self? She must of gotten in to nursing school by sleeping with somebody.

You must be proud of yourself, just not quite proud enough to share your identity nor how you help.

The twit didn't have symptoms, that's why. It's also why sticking her in a tent for a few days was an overreaction by government.

Neither did the doctor in NYC. Why are you defending this twit? She is being defiant just to make money...it's obvious. By the way, I did go to Medical School at UCSD.

Congratulations on helping a medical school, whoever you are. Don't know how they would have made it without you.

The way I heard it, she got on a plane home and during her ride, policies changed, so that she wound up in a tent upon arrival. She didn't seek that treatment and understandably objected. I would too, even if not paid to do it. If this was all a money making plan, how did she get the policies changed in such a timely manner?

You may trust Christie and a forehead scan, but I trust an oral thermometer a lot more.

Who spread Ebola here, returning health care workers or Mr. Duncan?

The only way to stop more Duncan's is to send brave people like the nurse over there. If we allow the overreactions of politicians who want to appear to DO SOMETHING to govern how we treat those volunteers, there will be fewer of them. And more Duncan's.

We could also use people like yourself over there, in addition to the brave ones.

We could also use people like yourself over there, in addition to the brave ones.

giphy.gif

It is perfectly legal, constitutional and medically-sound for governments to institute quarantines to control the spread of diisease in epidemics. It is not a civil rights issue, Tom. Despite the fact that little nursey democrat is probably correct about the state of her health, and despite the fact that the public health authorities may be over-reacting, it's not up to her to decide.

It is perfectly legal, constitutional and medically-sound for governments to institute quarantines to control the spread of diisease in epidemics. It is not a civil rights issue, Tom. Despite the fact that little nursey democrat is probably correct about the state of her health, and despite the fact that the public health authorities may be over-reacting, it's not up to her to decide.

The justification Christie used was the forehead scan.

Without the rebuttal from the oral thermometer, you'd be right.

But I trust oral thermometers more than scans or politicians. How about you?

There is no epidemic, an uninfected person cannot spread a disease. It is not legal, constitutional, or medically sound to incarcerate people to obtain a political sound bite. It is most definitely a civil rights issue.

" Despite the fact that little nursey democrat is probably correct about the state of her health, and despite the fact that the public health authorities may be over-reacting, it's not up to her to decide." This is why we need 2A.

t that little nursey democrat

How do you know she is democrat? Is it her dislike of big govt and belief in individual liberties? I would have thought you would approve of that.

t that little nursey democrat

How do you know she is democrat? Is it her dislike of big govt and belief in individual liberties? I would have thought you would approve of that.

The right to spread Ebola to others does not constitute a civil liberty, at least not in my mind.

Guest One of Five

Remember this ?

soxp3r.png

Wow! What a loser.

Remember this ?

soxp3r.png

Wow! What a loser.

I thought so too. If we had the Stolen Valor Act back then he might have been prosecuted for lying about liberating Auschwitz.

Isn't the forehead scan in airports based on fed/CDC protocols? Don't blame Christie, blame the current administration in Washington if you've got a problem with the method used to screen air travelers.

Isn't the forehead scan in airports based on fed/CDC protocols? Don't blame Christie, blame the current administration in Washington if you've got a problem with the method used to screen air travelers.

I have stated repeatedly that I blame Obama in this thread. Not for anything in particular, I just blame Obama.

That aside, I blame the tent thing on Christie. I think using the forehead scan to see who needs an oral thermometer is one thing, using it to see who needs three weeks in a tent is quite another. I'm not a doc and NGS hasn't weighed in on whether a scan or an oral thermometer is more accurate, so I'm not sure. Maybe Moe will come along and tell us.

I also think there are possibilities between "free to roam unsupervised" and "get in the tent." Mandatory check-in's of some kind, remote monitoring using technical means instead of humans, other things that people smarter than me will know.

I don't question the well-established public health powers of government, but we have to remember that those are some of the scariest powers of all, in addition to being necessary. Use of them should be watched closely.

I watched closely and saw Christie make a hasty decision and then, being Christie, refuse to back down from it for days, even as it became increasingly apparent that the "very sick" woman in the tent had no symptoms of being very sick.