Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

Guest One of Five

a-aaa-terrified-cat.jpg

Cool - you've resorted to Pitchers!! We like Pitchers!!

Tool.

No "Sol" *we* don't know how it's transmitted.

The "science" on ebola isn't settled - but keep on deluding yourself.

Apparently - YOU have Superior Knowledge.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

From the Canadian (superior to the CDC pablum) PATHOGEN SAFETY DATA SHEET for Ebola

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

4sbjwl.png

-------------------/----------------------

Contrast the Canadian data on Ebola and this infographic from CDC

2gu9hxs.png

Is it just a matter of time before there is a serious ANYTHING in the US?

I agree 100%.

I'm a bit bemused by those that proudly claim they have no reserves of food, cash or other essentials/ As if only a deluded end of world prepper would ever do such a pointless thing even on a very modest scale.

I get the impression some are refusing to plan for a rainy day out of some twisted belief that they are spiting me.

Guest One of Five

people are willing to let their hatred of you get in the way of common sense.

Sad they're willing to waste lives like that.

Then again - they're 'anonymous' so - no repercussions.

Guest One of Five

we don't know - we suspect - we have nothing conclusive.

you got something the world should know about?

If you do, it would give comfort to an awful lot of people - the CDC would LOVE to hear about it as well.

Is it just a matter of time before there is a serious ANYTHING in the US?

I agree 100%.

I'm a bit bemused by those that proudly claim they have no reserves of food, cash or other essentials/ As if only a deluded end of world prepper would ever do such a pointless thing even on a very modest scale.

I get the impression some are refusing to plan for a rainy day out of some twisted belief that they are spiting me.

You really do think it's about you, huh?

What an unwarranted overblown sense of self-importance.

It spreads the exact way the guy looking for air-time says it spreads.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

From the Canadian (superior to the CDC pablum) PATHOGEN SAFETY DATA SHEET for Ebola

4sbjwl.png

2gu9hxs.png

Canadians, eh? Buncha aerosol haters.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

4sbjwl.png

2gu9hxs.png

Canadians, eh? Buncha aerosol haters.

I'm from the west coast. We don't say eh. Eh.

Sorry, eh. But you do seem to have that Canadian hatred of aerosols.

Sorry, eh. But you do seem to have that Canadian hatred of aerosols.

aerosols-617x416.jpg

Must be someone from Down Under disinfecting the Middle East.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

4sbjwl.png

2gu9hxs.png

There may be a contrast between the CDC warning and the cherry picked parts that you highlighted, Dum Dum, but when I read the entire piece you posted, with the knowledge that one must focus on that which you do not highlight more than that which you do, the contrast fades.

cherry picking. A stand by for you.

His post with a cite holds more credit than your pitcher Sol.

You don't cherry pick pitchers do you Sol?

Enjoy it while it lasts.

4sbjwl.png

2gu9hxs.png

There may be a contrast between the CDC warning and the cherry picked parts that you highlighted, Dum Dum, but when I read the entire piece you posted, with the knowledge that one must focus on that which you do not highlight more than that which you do, the contrast fades.

So, the dead body lying in the street isn't producing any active aerosols and we are not going to find anybody handling corpses?

If you have a problem with the rest of it perhaps you should highlight the counter-information in the cite that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

4sbjwl.png

2gu9hxs.png

So, the dead body lying in the street isn't producing any active aerosols and we are not going to find anybody handling corpses?

If you have a problem with the rest of it perhaps you should highlight the counter-information in the cite that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Dead bodies in the street! Imagine!

Sorry Mr. Minister. I'm not going to play prove the negative today. That's a fun fallacy though. If you wish to prove the contrast, feel free to do so.

Guest One of Five

Whistling in the graveyard. The threat is real. Attacking the message because you hate the messenger is childish.

Guest One of Five

Sorry Mr. Minister. I'm not going to play prove the negative today. That's a fun fallacy though. If you wish to prove the contrast, feel free to do so.

Looky,,, here's a pitcher from the WSJ

P1-BQ943_LIONDO_G_20140806170856.jpg

Looky an article from India - they got pitchers too!!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/Bodies-dumped-on-streets-as-West-Africa-struggles-to-curb-Ebola/articleshow/39721004.cms

Whistling in the graveyard. The threat is real. Attacking the message because you hate the messenger is childish.

Imagine if somebody was doing that! Imagine it!

I'll stick with the CDC and what the Canadians have to say about it, and pay less attention to the fear mongers, thanks just the same. I realize that for some, science is librul hooey, but some of us defer to people who know about the topic. But I promise to remember this thread in the future. Like so many Simple Jack threads, it will be the gift that keeps on giving. Keep following the Pied Piper of Morons.

Guest One of Five

I'll stick with the CDC and what the Canadians have to say about it, and pay less attention to the fear mongers, thanks just the same. I realize that for some, science is librul hooey, but some of us defer to people who know about the topic. But I promise to remember this thread in the future. Like so many Simple Jack threads, it will be the gift that keeps on giving. Keep following the Pied Piper of Morons.

Ask Moe and see what he says privately if he's willing to say anything to you. There are many others including the WHO who are freaked about this and rightly so.

Ask Moe and see what he says privately if he's willing to say anything to you. There are many others including the WHO who are freaked about this and rightly so.

I could take if more seriously if you really want me to. Are you sure you want that?

Guest One of Five

oh look a troll tries to say something witty.

oh look a troll tries to say something witty.

How did that whole scare about Obama opening your mail turn out?

Never go Full Retard

Enjoy it while it lasts.

4sbjwl.png

I didn't ask you to prove a negative. I asked you to highlight the counter-information that you claim was in the Canadian sheet. That shouldn't be too difficult, I'm sure you did it in school sometime.

4sbjwl.png

I didn't ask you to prove a negative. I asked you to highlight the counter-information that you claim was in the Canadian sheet. That shouldn't be too difficult, I'm sure you did it in school sometime.

Ah, so you quoted me by mistake, when you were trying to address the poster who suggested that the Canadian information was different. I should have known that you were not addressing what I actually posted. Damn, straw man, and not proving the negative...I got your fallacies mixed.

Ah, so you quoted me by mistake, when you were trying to address the poster who suggested that the Canadian information was different. I should have known that you were not addressing what I actually posted. Damn, straw man, and not proving the negative...I got your fallacies mixed.

Really? It appears that your post complaining about cherry picked highlights immediately follows HJs which had the highlights. See Post 124.

Guest One of Five

Your asking for integrity from Sol - best of luck.

Will guns protect me from Ebola?

geese…don't give anyone any ideas.

Geese can be mean, but reasonable people don't feel the need to pack heat to defend against them.

Oh looky here...seems the WHO also has an extensive Ebola sheet:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

And...a paper from 1999 describes details on aeroSOL tranny-potential:

There is considerable misunderstanding concerning the potential for aerosol transmission of filoviruses. The data on formal aerosol experiments leave no doubt that Ebola and Marburg viruses are stable and infectious in small-particle aerosols, and experience of transmission between experimental animals in the laboratory supports this [49, 5663]. Indeed, during the 1989–1990 epizootic of the Reston subtype of Ebola, there was circumstantial evidence of airborne spread of the virus, and supporting observations included suggestive epidemiology in patterns of spread within rooms and between rooms in the quarantine facility, high concentrations of virus in nasal and oropharyngeal secretions, and ultrastructural visualization of abundant virus particles in alveoli [17, 50]. However, this is far from saying that Ebola viruses are transmitted in the clinical setting by small-particle aerosols generated from an index patient [64]. Indeed patients without any direct exposure to a known EHF case were carefully sought but uncommonly found [65]. The conclusion is that if this mode of spread occurred, it was very minor.

And, a very recent report (from Canada, Eh!) show this:

Study Confirms That Ebola Is Not Transmitted Through The Air

August 7, 2014 | by Lisa Winter

Aerosol%20sneeze.JPG?itok=UaJMWSkL Photo credit: There is no evidence to support that primates can transmit Ebola through aerosol droplets, like through a sneeze. Credit: CDC

When the news broke that the two Americans who had contracted Ebola virus disease (EVD) were going to be transported from Liberia to Atlanta, misguided fear spread like wildfire that the US would get swept up by the epidemic just as West Africa had. However, a new study supports what epidemiologists have long suspected: Ebola is not an airborne virus and is transmitted via contact with bodily fluids. The research was led by Gary Kobinger of the University of Manitoba and the results were published in Scientific Reports.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/study-confirms-ebola-not-transmitted-through-air#F86XKGYEXgkm8CL4.99

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/study-confirms-ebola-not-transmitted-through-air

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good thing I have my anti-ebola virus software installed on my hard drive... with out it, that sneeze may have gotten through the screen...

Oh looky here...seems the WHO also has an extensive Ebola sheet:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

And...a paper from 1999 describes details on aeroSOL tranny-potential:

There is considerable misunderstanding concerning the potential for aerosol transmission of filoviruses. The data on formal aerosol experiments leave no doubt that Ebola and Marburg viruses are stable and infectious in small-particle aerosols, and experience of transmission between experimental animals in the laboratory supports this [49, 5663]. Indeed, during the 1989–1990 epizootic of the Reston subtype of Ebola, there was circumstantial evidence of airborne spread of the virus, and supporting observations included suggestive epidemiology in patterns of spread within rooms and between rooms in the quarantine facility, high concentrations of virus in nasal and oropharyngeal secretions, and ultrastructural visualization of abundant virus particles in alveoli [17, 50]. However, this is far from saying that Ebola viruses are transmitted in the clinical setting by small-particle aerosols generated from an index patient [64]. Indeed patients without any direct exposure to a known EHF case were carefully sought but uncommonly found [65]. The conclusion is that if this mode of spread occurred, it was very minor.

And, a very recent report (from Canada, Eh!) show this:

r />

Study Confirms That Ebola Is Not Transmitted Through The Air

August 7, 2014 | by Lisa Winter

Aerosol%20sneeze.JPG?itok=UaJMWSkL Photo credit: There is no evidence to support that primates can transmit Ebola through aerosol droplets, like through a sneeze. Credit: CDC

When the news broke that the two Americans who had contracted Ebola virus disease (EVD) were going to be transported from Liberia to Atlanta, misguided fear spread like wildfire that the US would get swept up by the epidemic just as West Africa had. However, a new study supports what epidemiologists have long suspected: Ebola is not an airborne virus and is transmitted via contact with bodily fluids. The research was led by Gary Kobinger of the University of Manitoba and the results were published in Scientific Reports.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/study-confirms-ebola-not-transmitted-through-air#F86XKGYEXgkm8CL4.99

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/study-confirms-ebola-not-transmitted-through-air

Exactly why are all of you attacking me in this thread? Oh right you are a slave to your reflexive biases.

Hey if you want to pretend an epidemic can not happen here that is your problem. I rate that up with the loons that think vaccinations and fluoride are a communist plot. Queue the Gen, Jack Ripper outtake.

Even without an actual outbreak Panic is completely possible. Evidence the unease among some when the ebola testing stories broke.

Nothing in my posts are a partisan attack or political. My only point is that the public is blissfully unaware what would happen in a real epidemic and that as a side note most households do not have even a modest supply of essentials in reserve to help them weather a natural disaster, a sickness, loss of their job or other disruption.

I judge this based on my hurricane experiences. When I went to Homestead the day after Andrew I was astounded by the number of people that lacked food or even water. Yet the usual clowns in this forum act as if suggesting people keep a few weeks of food and water on hand in full blown Montana survivalist insanity.

My daughter is a respected epidemiologist who has been on missions to Mozambique, the Congo and elsewhere with Médecins Sans Frontières. She says that the expansion of people into remoter areas is increasing the number of pathogens and that as a pathogens spread among human hosts the faster it mutates and there is the potential for some of them to become airborne or food borne or simply to become more infectious.

Unless there is a breakthrough in virology the problem is likely to get worse before it will get better.

Moreover, I have not even touched on the potential to use viruses as crude WMD's.

Notice the title asks "Are you afraid" it does not say "Be Afraid"

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good thing I have my anti-ebola virus software installed on my hard drive... with out it, that sneeze may have gotten through the screen...

Sadly my fellow Canadians are not immune from stupidity.

Geese can be mean, but reasonable people don't feel the need to pack heat to defend against them.

only the canada ones... :D damn auto correct. geeze.....

Stop your whinging little man. You brought up the possibility of airborne transmissibilty and took a jab at your adopted homeland as lacking relevant information on Government sources.

I've countered both those assertions.

you sound like Glenn Beck trying to sell "Survival Seeds". There are so many more relevant threats out there than Ebola. If you want to live your life in constant "Threat Level Midnight" that says more about your mental state than anything else.

Hey Elle! Long time no see. Hope all is well with you.

Stop your whinging little man. You brought up the possibility of airborne transmissibilty and took a jab at your adopted homeland as lacking relevant information on Government sources.

I've countered both those assertions.

you sound like Glenn Beck trying to sell "Survival Seeds". There are so many more relevant threats out there than Ebola. If you want to live your life in constant "Threat Level Midnight" that says more about your mental state than anything else.

Beck is a bat shit crazy ass hole, but he did call the caliphate.

Hijack off.

Exactly why are all of you attacking me in this thread? Oh right you are a slave to your reflexive biases.

Hey if you want to pretend an epidemic can not happen here that is your problem. I rate that up with the loons that think vaccinations and fluoride are a communist plot. Queue the Gen, Jack Ripper outtake.

Even without an actual outbreak Panic is completely possible. Evidence the unease among some when the ebola testing stories broke.

Nothing in my posts are a partisan attack or political. My only point is that the public is blissfully unaware what would happen in a real epidemic and that as a side note most households do not have even a modest supply of essentials in reserve to help them weather a natural disaster, a sickness, loss of their job or other disruption.

I judge this based on my hurricane experiences. When I went to Homestead the day after Andrew I was astounded by the number of people that lacked food or even water. Yet the usual clowns in this forum act as if suggesting people keep a few weeks of food and water on hand in full blown Montana survivalist insanity.

My daughter is a respected epidemiologist who has been on missions to Mozambique, the Congo and elsewhere with Médecins Sans Frontières. She says that the expansion of people into remoter areas is increasing the number of pathogens and that as a pathogens spread among human hosts the faster it mutates and there is the potential for some of them to become airborne or food borne or simply to become more infectious.

Unless there is a breakthrough in virology the problem is likely to get worse before it will get better.

Moreover, I have not even touched on the potential to use viruses as crude WMD's.

Happy, you might want to look into professional help. Such fear of rare events is not healthy.

Here's a book to get you started on the road to recovery. And you may want to question why a religion would advocate such fear.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/why_do_we_often_fear_the_wrong_things/

Happy, you might want to look into professional help. Such fear of rare events is not healthy.

Here's a book to get you started on the road to recovery. And you may want to question why a religion would advocate such fear.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/why_do_we_often_fear_the_wrong_things/

Perhaps he confused "Ebola" and "Obama". Both from Africa. Both have three vowels and two consonants. Simple mistake. Simple Jack.

PS, Canada...he's your fault. Thanks for exiling him to Florida. Thanks so much.

Bird flew?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pot calling Kettle. Pot calling Kettle, come in Kettle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pot calling Kettle. Pot calling Kettle, come in Kettle.

The Magic Underpants (™) are blocking transmissions. Try shortwave.

But we need new programs and a whole bunch of new spending to address the all-too-common school shootings that have happened 74 15 times lately. Got it.

This thread is kind of sad if it wasn't so funny. Apparently "science" is just one more liberal delusion that was long ago dismissed as made up hooey that college educated people use to try and fool the superior intellect of talk show hosts.

Hey - if anyone wants to fill their basement up with food and water - go for it. Next snow storm when the breathless news infotainment people get everyone terrified there will NEVER BE ANY MILK OR TOILET PAPER AGAIN you can relax with your supplies and laugh at the lemmings running off to the store B)

EDIT - if there ever was a real zombie-apocalypse level epidemic, I would go out SAILING and come back later. Speaking of which, is anyone watching The Last Ship? This show has an Ebola-like virus basically killing off 90% of the population while this one navy ship goes around trying to find a cure. Their timing is unintentionally perfect. Maybe Happy got all scared watching the show???

Happy, you might want to look into professional help. Such fear of rare events is not healthy....

But we need new programs and a whole bunch of new spending to address the all-too-common school shootings that have happened 74 15 times lately. Got it.

nah. Just hold schools and property owners civilly liable for providing a safe location. Easy peasy.

Happy, you might want to look into professional help. Such fear of rare events is not healthy....

nah. Just hold schools and property owners civilly liable for providing a safe location. Easy peasy.

Why not hold politicians and police civilly liable for providing an entire safe community? Every instance of violence is a failure of government, right? Or is it not so "easy peasy" to provide complete safety?

How did you pull govt into this? You must be responding to someone else.

How did you pull govt into this? You must be responding to someone else.

You want to change liability laws, but that's not pulling govt into it?

Why do you think we can't sue cops just because we have been the victim of a crime? Because providing absolute security is impossible. It's impossible for governments and private property owners.

If it's possible for private property owners, as holding them liable suggests, then it should also be possible for government.

But it's not.

it doesn't take a law change at all.

Say after a nutter goes off in a theater, some lawyer takes a survivor and makes the case that the theatre owner should have known there was non-zero probability of such an event, and said theatre owner took no mitigating efforts. A jury may find that owner somewhat culpable. say 10%. Pick a number.

If/when that happens, liability insurance companies around the country will start demanding security solutions as a pre-req for coverage.

You may not like it, but since we can't seem to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable, it's the reality we live in. Maybe if we could convince the gov't to wind the clock back to pre-Reagan days/funding for the mentally ill we might have a different answer, but I don't see that happening with our current flock of politicians who, face it, reflect our society as it is.

Say after a nutter goes off in a theater, some lawyer takes a survivor and makes the case that the theatre owner should have known there was non-zero probability of such an event, and said theatre owner took no mitigating efforts. A jury may find that owner somewhat culpable. say 10%. Pick a number.

If/when that happens, liability insurance companies around the country will start demanding security solutions as a pre-req for coverage.

You may not like it, but since we can't seem to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable, it's the reality we live in. Maybe if we could convince the gov't to wind the clock back to pre-Reagan days/funding for the mentally ill we might have a different answer, but I don't see that happening with our current flock of politicians who, face it, reflect our society as it is.

That's gonna raise the price of Jujubes.

I thought it was skittles?

I thought it was skittles?

Those things will get you killed quicker than you can say "Ebola!" Avoid the rainbow.

This thread is kind of sad if it wasn't so funny. Apparently "science" is just one more liberal delusion that was long ago dismissed as made up hooey that college educated people use to try and fool the superior intellect of talk show hosts.

Hey - if anyone wants to fill their basement up with food and water - go for it. Next snow storm when the breathless news infotainment people get everyone terrified there will NEVER BE ANY MILK OR TOILET PAPER AGAIN you can relax with your supplies and laugh at the lemmings running off to the store B)

EDIT - if there ever was a real zombie-apocalypse level epidemic, I would go out SAILING and come back later. Speaking of which, is anyone watching The Last Ship? This show has an Ebola-like virus basically killing off 90% of the population while this one navy ship goes around trying to find a cure. Their timing is unintentionally perfect. Maybe Happy got all scared watching the show???

Not much doubt ocean cruises have focused quite a few people's attention on the issues of unsanitary conditions and infectious diseases, but I kinda doubt his issues started there.

Not much doubt ocean cruises have focused quite a few people's attention on the issues of unsanitary conditions and infectious diseases, but I kinda doubt his issues started there.

Issues. That's funny. Reflexive responders that allow their hatreds to subvert common sense are people with issues.

Those who reflexively repeat every hysterical topic that Drudge uses to whip up a frenzy of stupidity dependent fear are the problem, Dum Dum.

You got poor McCabe so wound up with your fear campaign that he could snap a pencil with his cinnamon ring.

Everyone else is making fun of you. Again.

Our society was much more violent back then.

Your fear of extremely rare events doesn't seem healthy to me.

Frequency is an unsatisfying measure.

There is a Magnitude x Rarity product that should govern the level of concern.

I personally think the modest investment in a permanent deep space radar watch make some sense despite the rarity of comet and asteroid impacts given the magnitude could reach extinction.

I think we agree about the personal defense and the right to carry a concealed handgun. That said. The number of people with a carry permit that ever have to draw in self defense is probably about as rare as the number killed in mass shootings.

Maybe that supports your view contention. The reaction to both is out of proportion to the magnitude of the problem.

Poor Happy. Stewart had a black woman making fun of his hysteria on his show.

It's funny that we have both lived through an epidemic, no-one had heard of, that struck out of the blue and has killed tens of millions and currently infects 35 million. This year alone it will kill close to 2 million,.

How soon people forget.

You guys are real silly.

After you realize I'm talking about HIV/AIDS go look up influenza and 1918.

You all sound like we should shut down the CDC and save a few bucks... Maybe fund a Playstation for poor folk program with the savings. Free cell phones bought votes, why not X-boxes too.

It's funny that we have both lived through an epidemic, no-one had heard of, that struck out of the blue and has killed tens of millions and currently infects 35 million. This year alone it will kill close to 2 million,.

How soon people forget.

You guys are real silly.

You all sound like we should shut down the CDC and save a few bucks... Maybe fund a Playstation for poor folk program with the savings. Free cell phones bought votes, why not X-boxes too.

Bullshit, the CDC does a fine job, witness HIV/AIDs. Now, I wasn't going to bring up HIV/AIDS, but since you did, I assume you're cowering in your basement with your grains due to the epidemic? Oh, wait, it's spread like Ebola and therefore you're not at risk. Got it.

How's the fear business doing for LDS recruiting?

How soon people forget.

You guys are real silly.

Bullshit, the CDC does a fine job, witness HIV/AIDs. Now, I wasn't going to bring up HIV/AIDS, but since you did, I assume you're cowering in your basement with your grains due to the epidemic? Oh, wait, it's spread like Ebola and therefore you're not at risk. Got it.

How's the fear business doing for LDS recruiting?

Your need to be anti religion and dis me overwhelms your common sense.

Team Global Warming calling the prudent Mormon ethos of keeping a modest storage of essentials against a rainy day, fear mongering is hilarious.

Because you can't see it through your bigotry, let me help you. Being prepared reduces fear. Think of it as peace and calm mongering.

your fear has blinded you to your idiocy

another Dog.

Forget about the science of Ebola. There is no controlling it. It replicates faster than democRATS. But there is comfort to be had. Let go.

10427346_10204673973752067_4793445218077

Look at that. Happy finds out the gov't actually IS being proactive.

Guest One of Five

Look at that. Happy finds out the gov't actually IS being proactive.

... and look at that Sol posts pitchers ... fancy that.