Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

Is protecting the rights of the individual against the insanity of the mob a conservative or liberal value? Is the mob just a mob, without any values?

What is this "mob" of which you speak? Something happening up in Maine that the press isn't covering?

keep-calm-and-be-a-drama-queen-24.png

No.

Thanks for clarifying that.

What did you base this statement on? -- "No doubt her neighbors would also like to see her burned as a witch."

The article cited suggests her neighbors are sympathetic to her situation.

"From the local people we have talked with, there is clearly sympathy for the 33-year-old nurse and respect for the work she did in West Africa with the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontiers.

But there is also a strong feeling that, for the good of the community, she should abide by the 21-day quarantine procedures." -from the cite.

That's a little like saying, "we're sorry you're a witch but you need to burn anyway."

"From the local people we have talked with, there is clearly sympathy for the 33-year-old nurse and respect for the work she did in West Africa with the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontiers.

But there is also a strong feeling that, for the good of the community, she should abide by the 21-day quarantine procedures." -from the cite.

That's a little like saying, "we're sorry you're a witch but you need to burn anyway."

Really? Is English a second language for you?

Oh - and then there's the very next paragraph --

It is not so much that local people fear there is a high risk of catching Ebola. Most realise the nurse is asymptomatic - one woman told me there is a far higher danger of being hit by a moose while driving through the country roads. It is more a case that she should limit her movements to allay community concerns.

I don't think the folks in Fort Kent will be dusting off their pitchforks any time soon, but you go ahead and enjoy your warped fantasy.

Quarantine soldiers in Italy? The DOD might as well just gas them and toss them into mass graves. Did I do it right?

It is not so much that local people fear there is a high risk of catching Ebola. Most realise the nurse is asymptomatic - one woman told me there is a far higher danger of being hit by a moose while driving through the country roads. It is more a case that she should limit her movements to allay community concerns.

I don't think the folks in Fort Kent will be dusting off their pitchforks any time soon, but you go ahead and enjoy your warped fantasy.

Quarantine soldiers in Italy? The DOD might as well just gas them and toss them into mass graves. Did I do it right?

Training accidents, don't forget to work that in somehow.

Thanks. Just that Tiki keeps referring to her as if she is a "New Jersey nurse". She isn't and just because NJ initially Q'd her that has little to do with her current situation.

The thing that strikes me about all this.... she is a RN, she has been asked to submit to a blood test to positively confirm that she does not have or is not infected with Ebola. She refuses to comply. Okay, I get why someone who is drunk or on drugs would want to refuse a blood test on the grounds of self incrimination, I also see where a blood test is quite an invasion of one's privacy, but it would just put the whole thing to rest.

So why does she refuse? Girl is an attention whore, not some martyr for Ebola rights.

Thanks. Just that Tiki keeps referring to her as if she is a "New Jersey nurse". She isn't and just because NJ initially Q'd her that has little to do with her current situation.

The thing that strikes me about all this.... she is a RN, she has been asked to submit to a blood test to positively confirm that she does not have or is not infected with Ebola. She refuses to comply. Okay, I get why someone who is drunk or on drugs would want to refuse a blood test on the grounds of self incrimination, I also see where a blood test is quite an invasion of one's privacy, but it would just put the whole thing to rest.

So why does she refuse? Girl is an attention whore, not some martyr for Ebola rights.

Yup.

I'm not sure the argument stands up given the interconnections inherent with air travel. Still a knock on the door at 2:00 a.m. because an unidentified third party suspects you of something is reason enough to be concerned about individual civil liberties.

Of course to be on the safe side we could quarantine the entire congregation. Maybe burn down the church?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/01/1340858/-Tucson-Pastor-checked-for-Ebola-at-2-AM-because-congregant-had-Ebola-Syptoms?detail=email#

I'm not sure the argument stands up given the interconnections inherent with air travel. Still a knock on the door at 2:00 a.m. because an unidentified third party suspects you of something is reason enough to be concerned about individual civil liberties.

Of course to be on the safe side we could quarantine the entire congregation. Maybe burn down the church?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/01/1340858/-Tucson-Pastor-checked-for-Ebola-at-2-AM-because-congregant-had-Ebola-Syptoms?detail=email#

"Draaaamaaaa".<in my best sing-song voice>

When the sheriff shows up at your door at 2:00 a.m. based on gossip, it's time for drama.

When a SWAT Team crashes down your door when gossip is that you've got a bong and a couple bowls of weed, that's where we should be concerned.

Do you read anything you link to? JFC, but you are getting tedious on a Special Ed level. From the article you cited --

The officers did a welfare check on Petzer after a request from UAMC, said Sgt. Chris Widmer, a Tucson Police Department spokesman. Officials with UAMC confirmed that was true, and said they followed protocol. The hospital did not contact the Pima County Health Department.

What protocol might that be? I may be wrong, but I'm guessing CDC protocol. You are whining up the wrong fucking tree. Write an E-mail to the Ebola Czar with your complaints. You'll probably get a quick response, as he doesn't seem to have anything else infringing on his time at the moment.

Eat some shit! A knock on the door at 2:00 a.m. based on gossip is abuse of police power. What is "protocol", some magic word that makes the rule of law disappear? A tyrant is a fucking tyrant!

There was no ebola, in this case there was no reason to think there might be ebola.

You are a fucking idiot! You think the law should protect you and only you and you should be allowed to abuse others at your whim. Go fuck yourself.

Guest One of Five

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EBOLA_HOW_BAD_CAN_IT_GET?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-11-01-10-25-24

SCIENTISTS TRY TO PREDICT NUMBER OF US EBOLA CASES

BY MARTHA MENDOZA
AP NATIONAL WRITER\

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Top medical experts studying the spread of Ebola say the public should expect more cases to emerge in the United States by year's end as infected people arrive here from West Africa, including American doctors and nurses returning from the hot zone and people fleeing from the deadly disease.

But how many cases?

No one knows for sure how many infections will emerge in the U.S. or anywhere else, but scientists have made educated guesses based on data models that weigh hundreds of variables, including daily new infections in West Africa, airline traffic worldwide and transmission possibilities.

This week, several top infectious disease experts ran simulations for The Associated Press that predicted as few as one or two additional infections by the end of 2014 to a worst-case scenario of 130.

"I don't think there's going to be a huge outbreak here, no," said Dr. David Relman, a professor of infectious disease, microbiology and immunology at Stanford University's medical school. "However, as best we can tell right now, it is quite possible that every major city will see at least a handful of cases."

Relman is a founding member of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services advisory board for biosecurity and chairs the National Academy of Sciences forum on microbial threats.

Until now, projections published in top medical journals by the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control have focused on worst-case scenarios for West Africa, concluding that cases in the U.S. will be episodic, but minimal. But they have declined to specify actual numbers.

The projections are complicated, but Ebola has been a fairly predictable virus - extremely infectious, contagious only through contact with body fluids, requiring no more than 21 days for symptoms to emerge. Human behavior is far less predictable - people get on airplanes, shake hands, misdiagnose, even lie.

Pandemic risk expert Dominic Smith, a senior manager for life risks at Newark, California-based RMS, a leading catastrophe-modeling firm, ran a U.S. simulation this week that projected 15 to 130 cases between now and the end of December. That's less than one case per 2 million people.

Smith's method assumes that most cases imported to the U.S. will be American medical professionals who worked in West Africa and returned home.

Smith said the high end may be a bit of an overestimate as it does not include the automatic quarantining measures that some areas in the U.S. are implementing.

Those quarantines "could both reduce the number of contacts for imported cases, as well as increase the travel burden on - and perhaps reduce the number of - U.S. volunteers planning to support the effort in West Africa," he said.

In a second simulation, Northeastern University professor Alessandro Vespignani projected between one case - the most likely scenario - and a slim chance of as many as eight cases though the end of November.

"I'm always trying to tell people to keep calm and keep thinking rationally," said Vespignani, who projects the spread of infectious diseases at the university's Laboratory for the Modeling of Biological and Socio-Technical Systems.

In an article in the journal PLOS ONE, Vespignani and a team of colleagues said the probability of international spread outside the African region is small, but not negligible. Longer term, they say international dissemination will depend on what happens in West Africa in the next few months.

Their first analysis, published Sept. 2, proved to be accurate when it included the U.S. among 30 countries likely to see some Ebola cases. They projected one or two infections in the U.S., but there could be as many as 10.

So far, nine Ebola patients have been treated in the U.S., and one has died. Seven became infected in West Africa, including Thomas Eric Duncan, the first to arrive undiagnosed and the first to die. He was cared for at a Dallas hospital, where two of his nurses were also infected.

Duncan, who was initially misdiagnosed and sent home from the emergency room, is Vespignani's worst-case scenario for the U.S.

A similar situation, if left unchecked, could lead to a local cluster that could infect, on the outside, as many as 20, he said.

The foreseeable future extends only for the next few months. After that, projections depend entirely on what happens in West Africa. One scenario is that the surge in assistance to the region brings the epidemic under control and cases peter out in the U.S. A second scenario involves Ebola spreading unchecked across international borders.

"My worry is that the epidemic might spill into other countries in Africa or the Middle East, and then India or China. That could be a totally different story for everybody," Vespignani said.

Dr. Ashish Jha, a Harvard University professor and director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, said he's not worried about a handful of new cases in the U.S. His greatest worry is if the disease goes from West Africa to India.

"If the infection starts spreading in Delhi or Mumbai, what are we going to do?"

Dr. Peter Hotez, founding dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and director of the Texas Children's Hospital Center for Vaccine Development, pegs the range of cases in the U.S. between five and 100.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention prefers not to focus on a particular number. But spokeswoman Barbara Reynolds said Ebola will not be a

widespread threat as some outside the agency have warned.

"We're talking about clusters in some places but not outbreaks," she said.

The CDC is using modeling tools to work on projections in West Africa, but "there isn't enough data available in the U.S. to make it worthwhile to go through the exercise."

University of Texas integrative biology professor Lauren Ancel ************ said there are inherent inconsistencies in forecasting "because the course of action we're taking today will impact what happens in the future."

Her laboratory is running projections of Ebola's spread in West Africa.

The U.S. simulations run for the AP had fairly consistent results with each other, she said. And they are "consistent with what we know about the disease."

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Eat some shit! A knock on the door at 2:00 a.m. based on gossip is abuse of police power. What is "protocol", some magic word that makes the rule of law disappear? A tyrant is a fucking tyrant!

There was no ebola, in this case there was no reason to think there might be ebola.

You are a fucking idiot! You think the law should protect you and only you and you should be allowed to abuse others at your whim. Go fuck yourself.

Apparently, you not only don't read the articles you link to, you also don't read quotes from them when posted here. From your link --

The officers did a welfare check on Petzer after a request from UAMC, said Sgt. Chris Widmer, a Tucson Police Department spokesman. Officials with UAMC confirmed that was true, and said they followed protocol. The hospital did not contact the Pima County Health Department.

Is the "abuse of power" the cops, the hospital, or the CDC? Simple multiple choice. Pick one. I'll give you a hint - read the paragraph immediately above.

Politician, RD. I called a politician a trollop. Actually, she is much worse.

So it would be OK for me to call Pelosi a "nigger loving cunt"? Sexist and racist terms used on politicians are exempt from the PC police now?

How very fucking convenient for you.

Are you just trolling or really that stupid?

I'd ask you the same question, but sparring with you over the past few days I'm pretty sure I know the answer -- and I don't think you are trolling.

So it would be OK for me to call Pelosi a "nigger loving cunt"? Sexist and racist terms used on politicians are exempt from the PC police now?

I think politicians are fair game for any derision, I think most of them lost any respect from the public some time ago. As far as Pelosi, your blast reveals far more about you than her, but most us already knew that.

I think politicians are fair game for any derision, I think most of them lost any respect from the public some time ago. As far as Pelosi, your blast reveals far more about you than her, but most us already knew that.

Palin = trollop. Pelosi = Cunt. Obama = nigger.

What's the problem here, Ed? Are my terms more offensive? Can I call Pelosi a pussy? Can I call Obama an articulate black?

Please let us know where to draw the line on sexist and racist comments so I can conform to your rules of disparaging remarks.

EDIT - if there ever was a real zombie-apocalypse level epidemic, I would go out SAILING and come back later. Speaking of which, is anyone watching The Last Ship? This show has an Ebola-like virus basically killing off 90% of the population while this one navy ship goes around trying to find a cure. Their timing is unintentionally perfect. Maybe Happy got all scared watching the show???

What if Zombies can swim?

They'd have to be crazy to swim in the Chesapeake.

EDIT - if there ever was a real zombie-apocalypse level epidemic, I would go out SAILING and come back later. Speaking of which, is anyone watching The Last Ship? This show has an Ebola-like virus basically killing off 90% of the population while this one navy ship goes around trying to find a cure. Their timing is unintentionally perfect. Maybe Happy got all scared watching the show???

Jelly fish and crabs (the good kind what are edible).

Palin = trollop. Pelosi = Cunt. Obama = nigger.

What's the problem here, Ed? Are my terms more offensive? Can I call Pelosi a pussy? Can I call Obama an articulate black?

Please let us know where to draw the line on sexist and racist comments so I can conform to your rules of disparaging remarks.

Ed? Drowning in drink again?

"From the local people we have talked with, there is clearly sympathy for the 33-year-old nurse and respect for the work she did in West Africa with the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontiers.[/size]

So they admit the concerns are groundless and so the quarantine will do no good, but they want it as a feel-good policy anyway.

Why does that remind me so much of the late, unlamented mean-looking weapons ban?

Already dead, so unless something is bloating with decomposition gases they should be able to walk on the bottom.

Brilliant is quarantining a nurse who is asymptomatic thereby casting doubt on the entire process. See, mistrusting the health care system proves Barry is a Kenyan.

Idiot. Shut the fuck up.

Guest One of Five

Yes - but he has a right to be stupid - just like Sol.

Brilliant is quarantining a nurse who is asymptomatic thereby casting doubt on the entire process. See, mistrusting the health care system proves Barry is a Kenyan.

Idiot. Shut the fuck up.

Already dead, so unless something is bloating with decomposition gases they should be able to walk on the bottom.

Can a zombie outrun a swarm of blue crabs?

Oh nevermind, they already caught all theirs and the ones you eat up there tend to come from Peace River Seafood, just down the street from me.

CDC changed the poster again yesterday - http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/infections-spread-by-air-or-droplets.pdf

Apparently, Ebola has mutated over the past few days and can no longer be spread through sneezing, according to the CDC.

It appears the European Models should be followed for more than just meteorology

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/ebola-public-health-contact-management.pdf

note, coughing is still included)

Above all, it is the lack of common messaging - I understand that we must adjust process and procedure based on what we learn daily, but it should be couched as such, instead of "I, the definitive source of all information, do hereby decree it is not airborne....uh, well scratch what I decreed yesterday for today I do verily say that it is not airborne although it is borne through the air on droplets from coughs and sneezes .... uh well, no, not that either, um.... " For me, my fear of idiots running the sh*show is greater than my fear of Ebola itself.

For me, my fear of idiots running the sh*show is greater than my fear of Ebola itself.

+1

So you really believe they are idiots running the show? I’m impressed....

Confident idiots, specifically. Yes.

No one else is available.

Hmm.. I was thinking more like mission accomplished.. You are an optimist..;)

Quarantine all democRATS. This evening. For 24 hours.

Ebola is most contagious at polling places. Obama has ordered all polling stations to be contaminated with democRAT-grade Ebola.

CDC changed the poster again yesterday - http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/infections-spread-by-air-or-droplets.pdf

Apparently, Ebola has mutated over the past few days and can no longer be spread through sneezing, according to the CDC.

It appears the European Models should be followed for more than just meteorology

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/ebola-public-health-contact-management.pdf

Above all, it is the lack of common messaging - I understand that we must adjust process and procedure based on what we learn daily, but it should be couched as such, instead of "I, the definitive source of all information, do hereby decree it is not airborne....uh, well scratch what I decreed yesterday for today I do verily say that it is not airborne although it is borne through the air on droplets from coughs and sneezes .... uh well, no, not that either, um.... " For me, my fear of idiots running the sh*show is greater than my fear of Ebola itself.

Nailed it.

Guest One of Five

she speaks with more authority than all of the posters on this board.

Guest One of Five

Well we know who wears the pants.

Trousers dammit, trousers.

Here ... the basics of epidemics ... https://class.coursera.org/epidemics-002/

It's free to sign up to Coursera, free to take the courses, and it opens up a whole new world of learning opportunities aside from just this one which is specific to epidemics.

And my britches fit just fine, thanks ^_^

Guest One of Five

Here ... the basics of epidemics ... https://class.coursera.org/epidemics-002/

It's free to sign up to Coursera, free to take the courses, and it opens up a whole new world of learning opportunities aside from just this one which is specific to epidemics.

And my britches fit just fine, thanks ^_^

Trousers....

Guest One of Five

imagination is so much better.

I will leave you to it.

I will leave you to it.

Dude. Did you really just assert that anything could be "so much better" than a pic of your lady?

Enjoy life on the couch!

Quarantine all democRATS. This evening. For 24 hours.

Ebola is most contagious at polling places. Obama has ordered all polling stations to be contaminated with democRAT-grade Ebola.

I heard it was the republicrypts...

Guest One of Five

I will leave you to it.

Dude. Did you really just assert that anything could be "so much better" than a pic of your lady?

Enjoy life on the couch!

nope - I'm just not posting pictures for your amusement - but will leave it to your imagination.

<derail> With apologies, Tom Ray, I've not known anyone to take a picture of how my britches are fitting. If they have, they've not shared. You'll just have to take the word of One of Five and No 6. </end derail> :P

Guest One of Five

Did I mention Bowgirl wears the pants?

trousers dammit.

The ECDC says this is high risk:

Having had unprotected sexual contact with a case within three months of the case recovering from EVD.

It can be spread through sex months after recovery?

They also say:

... Contact with EVD patients using appropriate personal protective equipment is considered to be low-risk exposure. However, given the continuous nature of the occupational exposure involved in caring for patients, such exposures should be dealt with as high-risk exposure.

So it's considered low risk but should be dealt with as high risk.

Ummm... seems to me it should be considered and dealt with as high risk.

if you read it again, it's low risk, except for the continuous nature.

Sorta like a quick sanding job of some gelcoat in the yard is probably ok, but do it day in and day out and you want some pretty good filters.

So it's considered low risk but should be dealt with as high risk.

Ummm... seems to me it should be considered and dealt with as high risk.

That statement may classify you as a "thinking man" Tom ... dangerous label in a place like this. :ph34r:

And yes, that "spread it for 3 months after recovery" thing has a number of people wondering WTF. How a virus remains virulent after being beaten by your body's immune system ... and for 3 months ... this outbreak is not over.

And at the risk of asking one too many questions, um, where are the good Dr Brantley and the rest of the males who've been brought state-side for recovery, and more importantly, who are they shagging these days?

Think we could get 'em to help replant bay grasses? Seed oyster beds? Hmmmm....

Nothing like a little confusion from the experts to instill confidence panic ...

http://news.yahoo.com/u-nurse-treated-ebola-patients-maine-reach-deal-155326338.html

The Ebola virus is transmitted in bodily fluids, such as blood or vomit, of people showing symptoms of the disease, according to medical experts. It is not airborne.

Whoops. Someone didn't get the memo.

I guess we should pay attention to medical experts instead of the CDC.

Guest One of Five

http://news.yahoo.com/u-nurse-treated-ebola-patients-maine-reach-deal-155326338.html

The Ebola virus is transmitted in bodily fluids, such as blood or vomit, of people showing symptoms of the disease, according to medical experts. It is not airborne.

Whoops. Someone didn't get the memo.

I guess we should pay attention to medical experts instead of the CDC.

Major League.

Ah yes, the authority speaks:

"Now shut the fuck up on this airborne shit."

Does "airborne" mean borne by air? Never mind. Sneezes were only a means of transition for a couple days last week. Carry on.

Think we could get 'em to help replant bay grasses? Seed oyster beds? Hmmmm....

Training them would be an interesting project, but would likely take a lot of time at best. Devices could be attached to them that slowly spread seed, but they seem unlikely to wander around randomly. Straight lines until they encounter Brraaaaaaiiinnsss!, I expect.

Does "airborne" mean borne by air? Never mind. Sneezes were only a means of transition for a couple days last week. Carry on.

You didn't answer my question from last week.

Would you rather the government make up definitions for words, or would you rather they use the correct definitions and then explain what the words mean?

Its getting embarrassing for RD. He really is a moron. And he still hasn't paid off on the $500 bet he made with me.

You didn't answer my question from last week.

Would you rather the government make up definitions for words, or would you rather they use the correct definitions and then explain what the words mean?

I would rather the government use words that the general population can comprehend understand.

This is a very simple concept, 505. Sol can post CDC posters that tell the public you can't get Ebola from a sneeze. Then the CDC creates a poster that says you can get Ebola from a sneeze. Then the CDC's next poster says you can't get Ebola from a sneeze. These are very basic posters for the masses with graphics, btw.

As soon as Obama or his Ebola Czar have a press conference to educate the public about the difference between "airborne" and those "droplets" which are carried 3-6 feet through the air, I think there should be some uncertainty. When the CDC says sneezes are a threat for a few days and then not? You figure it out.

Poor dog doesn't understand what airborne means. He thinks being sneezed on is not a body fluid transfer but an airborne passage. I guess if a cop blows the head off an ebola patient standing next to him and the pink mist gets on him, its also airborne.

Dog, do you have to work on being this stupid or does it just come naturally?

http://www.who.int/trade/glossary/story092/en/

8m deaths and 1.3m new cases each year - confidence that it's airborne, no ambiguity on control or treatment protocols.

But no writhing in agony while spewing body fluids, so no headlines, no global reaction.

The issue is, for me, less about the disease itself, and more about the Experts coming across as inept and unsure, behind a facade of arrogance. Fess up. "We don't know for sure, and as a result more, not less, caution in treatment settings would be advisable." What's so hard about that?

Ebola Quarantines Ignore Experience and Trample Freedoms

Back in 2002 and 2003, a virus called Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) infected more than 8,000 people, mostly in Asia, and killed 774. Even though it could be spread through the air, had a high mortality rate and infected 27 people in the United States, the CDC didn't recommend mandatory quarantines. So it makes sense that the agency would not advise that approach for Ebola, which is much harder to contract.

Still not worried about Ebola coming here. Two people entered the country with it. One of them infected two nurses. That's the extent of this terrible epidemic.