Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

Friend started and runs Global Scientific Solutions to address global public health concerns. An expert in infectious disease and health surveillance. Most of her work has been in HIV/AIDS. She just shared of her trip to Sierra Leone. First trip is with the UN, to gather info on protocols. About 1 week in the field, in the ward, near Ebola. Then, home for a brief spell and back for 8 weeks to implement changes, as needed. That trip will have her in the lab, in the ward, and in the field - dealing with Ebola.

Scary stuff, but she is excited to be participating.

She's in no more danger than when she works with active AIDS patients. HC workers have died from needle sticks received while working with HIV/Aids. It is no joke! But ebola is a virus, not a demon spirit!

She's an international hero in my book.

Monday will mark the 21st day since Hickox's last exposure to an Ebola patient, a 10-year-old girl who suffered seizures before dying alone without family.

On Tuesday, Hickox will no longer require daily monitoring for Ebola symptoms, and even those who sought to isolate her agree that she will no longer be a threat.

Hickox she said she doesn't intend to stop speaking out on behalf of public health workers, nor would she let her experience deter her from returning to West Africa.

"Something like quarantine is not going to scare me from doing the work that I love," she said from her home in Fort Kent in northern Maine. "I would return to Sierra Leone in a heartbeat."

The Texas native never intended to become the public face of a fierce debate over how U.S. health care workers volunteering in West Africa are treated upon their return.

Volunteering for Doctors Without Borders, she spent a month at a hospital where there were never enough beds for all of the Ebola patients who needed help. It was so hot that volunteers could only spend about an hour at a time treating patients in their protective suits. They were drenched in sweat when they finished their shifts, she said.

On the morning she left Sierra Leone, the weary nurse learned that the girl she'd treated hours earlier had died. She was debriefed by Doctors Without Borders in Brussels before flying to the U.S.

It was after three hours of questioning at the Newark Liberty International Airport that she resolved that she'd have to make a stand on behalf of all returning health care workers.

"I said I'm going to have to do something about this because I can't possibly let my colleagues go through this. This is completely unacceptable," she said.

Hickox was sequestered in a medical tent for days because New Jersey announced new Ebola regulations the day she arrived.

She eventually was allowed to travel to Maine, where the state sought to impose a "voluntary quarantine" before trying and failing to create a buffer between her and others. A state judge rejected attempts to restrict her movements, saying she posed no threat as long as she wasn't demonstrating any symptoms of Ebola.

Hickox said health care professionals like those at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — not politicians like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Maine Gov. Paul LePage — should be in charge of making decisions that are grounded in science, not fear.

"In the past, a quarantine was something that was considered very extreme. I'm concerned about how lightly we're taking this concept today," she said. "I'm concerned that the wrong people are leading the debate and making the decisions."

Hickox, who holds a nursing degree from the University of Texas at Arlington and master's degrees in nursing and public health from Johns Hopkins University, said she may opt to go back to school.

"I have been over the last couple of days been toying with the idea of maybe getting a doctorate degree and focusing on quarantine law," s

I still consider a quarantine extreme and share her concern about politicians like Christie and Cuomo. Keeping her in a tent for days while she showed no symptoms was outrageous, and it only happened because politicians like Christie can't admit a mistake.

I continue to be worried about the spread of Ebola in Africa, the possibility of more people coming here with the disease like Mr. Duncan did, and the fact that we elect idiots like Christie to important offices.

I'm sure the Ebola Czar will be along any day now with best practices states should employ when someone at an airport is considered high risk based on CDC protocols.

Manwhile, US troops retruning from Ebola areas will undergo mandatory quarantine. Which elected idiot is responsible for that?

She's in no more danger than when she works with active AIDS patients. HC workers have died from needle sticks received while working with HIV/Aids. It is no joke! But ebola is a virus, not a demon spirit!

What do you think would happen with a needle stick from an Ebola patient? Or, any bodily fluid transfer. I am not up on methods of transmission, but I don't recall HIV being carried in mucus from a sneeze. Linky

Let's just say her husband does not share her enthusiasm.

actually, chances of contracting HIV from a single needle stick is relatively low (.3%).

just fyi

What do you think would happen with a needle stick from an Ebola patient? Or, any bodily fluid transfer. I am not up on methods of transmission, but I don't recall HIV being carried in mucus from a sneeze. Linky

I think the devil would levitate the body of the victim to the ceiling, spew green snot all over the room and speak in a harsh, guttural unintelligible language. Happy now?

I think the devil would levitate the body of the victim to the ceiling, spew green snot all over the room and speak in a harsh, guttural unintelligible language. Happy now?

That's what happens when someone votes democRAT. Play it safe. Vote American.

She has more balls than most. Bless her.

She's an international hero in my book.

Monday will mark the 21st day since Hickox's last exposure to an Ebola patient, a 10-year-old girl who suffered seizures before dying alone without family.

On Tuesday, Hickox will no longer require daily monitoring for Ebola symptoms, and even those who sought to isolate her agree that she will no longer be a threat.

Hickox she said she doesn't intend to stop speaking out on behalf of public health workers, nor would she let her experience deter her from returning to West Africa.

"Something like quarantine is not going to scare me from doing the work that I love," she said from her home in Fort Kent in northern Maine. "I would return to Sierra Leone in a heartbeat."

The Texas native never intended to become the public face of a fierce debate over how U.S. health care workers volunteering in West Africa are treated upon their return.

Volunteering for Doctors Without Borders, she spent a month at a hospital where there were never enough beds for all of the Ebola patients who needed help. It was so hot that volunteers could only spend about an hour at a time treating patients in their protective suits. They were drenched in sweat when they finished their shifts, she said.

On the morning she left Sierra Leone, the weary nurse learned that the girl she'd treated hours earlier had died. She was debriefed by Doctors Without Borders in Brussels before flying to the U.S.

It was after three hours of questioning at the Newark Liberty International Airport that she resolved that she'd have to make a stand on behalf of all returning health care workers.

"I said I'm going to have to do something about this because I can't possibly let my colleagues go through this. This is completely unacceptable," she said.

Hickox was sequestered in a medical tent for days because New Jersey announced new Ebola regulations the day she arrived.

She eventually was allowed to travel to Maine, where the state sought to impose a "voluntary quarantine" before trying and failing to create a buffer between her and others. A state judge rejected attempts to restrict her movements, saying she posed no threat as long as she wasn't demonstrating any symptoms of Ebola.

Hickox said health care professionals like those at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — not politicians like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Maine Gov. Paul LePage — should be in charge of making decisions that are grounded in science, not fear.

"In the past, a quarantine was something that was considered very extreme. I'm concerned about how lightly we're taking this concept today," she said. "I'm concerned that the wrong people are leading the debate and making the decisions."

Hickox, who holds a nursing degree from the University of Texas at Arlington and master's degrees in nursing and public health from Johns Hopkins University, said she may opt to go back to school.

"I have been over the last couple of days been toying with the idea of maybe getting a doctorate degree and focusing on quarantine law," s

I still consider a quarantine extreme and share her concern about politicians like Christie and Cuomo. Keeping her in a tent for days while she showed no symptoms was outrageous, and it only happened because politicians like Christie can't admit a mistake.

I continue to be worried about the spread of Ebola in Africa, the possibility of more people coming here with the disease like Mr. Duncan did, and the fact that we elect idiots like Christie to important offices.

I'm sure the Ebola Czar will be along any day now with best practices states should employ when someone at an airport is considered high risk based on CDC protocols.

Manwhile, US troops retruning from Ebola areas will undergo mandatory quarantine. Which elected idiot is responsible for that?

Until the Czar speaks, common sense would work fine for me.

I don't see the need for a quarantine of anyone who is not displaying symptoms. Including troops, though at least quarantined troops won't be asked to don slippers and go to Iraq or Syria (in a non-combat role, of course.)

...A day after Dr. Spencer went to Bellevue, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced that all travelers arriving in New York who had had contact with Ebola patients in West Africa would be quarantined for 21 days, even if they had no symptoms and thus were not likely to be contagious. That policy, which New Jersey and several other states also enacted, was criticized by some public health experts as an overreaction that would discourage doctors and nurses from traveling to Africa to help contain the virus. Mr. Cuomo said he preferred to err on against the side of caution liberty.

Fixed, though I could have fixed it to say the same thing a different way: Cuomo and Christie prefer to err on the side of big government. Peas in a duopoly pod.

>...A day after Dr. Spencer went to Bellevue, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced that all travelers arriving in New York who had had contact with Ebola patients in West Africa would be quarantined for 21 days, even if they had no symptoms and thus were not likely to be contagious. That policy, which New Jersey and several other states also enacted, was criticized by some public health experts as an overreaction that would discourage doctors and nurses from traveling to Africa to help contain the virus. Mr. Cuomo said he preferred to err on against the side of caution liberty.

Fixed, though I could have fixed it to say the same thing a different way: Cuomo and Christie prefer to err on the side of big government. Peas in a duopoly pod.

The whole Ebola "scare" was nothing but a chance for big government types to argue for more protection from their nanny. Falling for it and appointing a czar is among the more stupid decisions I've seen in the last month or two....

Remember The Knack and "My Sharona"? Get that earwig

happening...

I'm just working up some lyrics a la Weird Al, my new song will be "Ebola troller".

Sol's posts are really poo really poo

Ebola troller!

I'm love stalking Jack, stalking Jack

Ebola troller

No Ebola in the US. This whole episode demonstrates why we need not fear Ebola in the US. Is Ebola a terrible disease? Yes. Is the US as susceptible to it as West Africa? No.

No Ebola in the US. This whole episode demonstrates why we need not fear Ebola in the US. Is Ebola a terrible disease? Yes. Is the US as susceptible to it as West Africa? No.

Wow. You are the first person I've seen pose such a stoopid question.

Ebola thread, remember?

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta/AP) — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued its highest alert activation over the Ebola outbreak.

CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden announced on Twitter Wednesday that their operations center has moved to a Level 1 response.

Yup. I remember, though forgetting that would seem to be popular now that there are no Ebola patients in the US, and the election is over.

Eeeeeebola troller!

I'm just trolling Jack, trollin Jack! Eeeeebola troller

Stupid question? Perhaps, but the facts seem to suggest that those who contract ebola seem more susceptible to dying if they don't live in the us. RD, you should bask in the knowledge that you are safe from ebola, providing you stay in the us. Of course, west african schools rank ebola as more of a risk than death by a gun toting crazy person. Who knew?

Now it's another fucking YooHoo thread is it?

You really are a fucked unit Sol. A proper cock head.

Yeah right. And you're chock full of shit from licking Sol's ring. <_<

Stupid question? Perhaps, but the facts seem to suggest that those who contract ebola seem more susceptible to dying if they don't live in the us. RD, you should bask in the knowledge that you are safe from ebola, providing you stay in the us. Of course, west african schools rank ebola as more of a risk than death by a gun toting crazy person. Who knew?

I understand the facts. I just have a problem with someone who tries to claim the high road by taking the low road.

The Ebola fanatic here hasn't been Jack. It has been Sol.

I have to log out now so I can log back in as any number of my socks here on LIS.

Who's paranoid?

Sol's a pathetic person who is offended by the word "nigger"...unless he isn't.

Worried or not you're still a cock head.

Not sry

Hmmm. Maybe I should be worried. Let me rethink this in light of the events surrounding our US outbreak.

Um...

no. Still not worried.

m2v5pWxc1f1IXCJFhur5PrA.jpg

You guys keep changing your screen names just to run up the number of non-ebola infected members here right?

Can I be Snaggy?! Jusste fre zhish thred?? (how was that - not so good, eh? Not buyin' it? Hmmmmm)

So you aren't concerned for the fellow in Nebraska?

I always took you for having a bit more compassion.

I'm not worried about Ebola coming here, to answer the question in the thread title. Hell, they bring people with Ebola here for treatment. The poor guy in Nebraska sounds like he is very far along in the process. They have treated Ebola patients there before, and didn't get an outbreak. The shockingly good performance is NY, where more victims seemed a certainty, given the sheer number of people with whom he rode the subway or otherwise had some kind of contact. That demonstrates to me that it really has to be direct contact for transfer, which the science hooeyists have said pretty much all along.

Compare the result in NY to the result in Dallas, where the guy was turned away from the ER (black man with a fever and without insurance, in Dallas...yeah, he's getting admitted right away....) NY comes off looking pretty good, by comparison, though it helps that the patient is a health care professional who was self monitoring.

I thought you said you had learned a good deal about the disease? Clearly that is not the case by your comments above.

They shouldn't have relied on a forehead scan.....or an Ebola test ---

A doctor’s mistaken Ebola test: ‘We were celebrating. . . . Then everything fell apart’

FREETOWN, Sierra Leone — When Martin Salia’s Ebola test came back negative, his friends and colleagues threw their arms around him. They shook his hand. They patted him on the back. They removed their protective gear and cried.

But when his symptoms remained nearly a week later, Salia took another test, on Nov. 10. This one came back positive, sending the Sierra Leonean doctor with ties to Maryland on a desperate, belated quest for treatment and forcing the colleagues who had embraced him into quarantine.

“We were celebrating. If the test says you are Ebola-free, we assume you are Ebola-free,” said Komba Songu M’Briwa, who cared for Salia at the Hastings Ebola Treatment Center in Freetown. “Then everything fell apart.”

Salia died early Monday at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, his family left to wonder what would have happened if he had received earlier treatment (link).

I hope this doesn't influence folks in Sierra Leone to change their protocols and keep people quarantined who test negative for Ebola - even if they are symptomatic. Civil liberties, and what not.

A doctor’s mistaken Ebola test: ‘We were celebrating. . . . Then everything fell apart’

FREETOWN, Sierra Leone — When Martin Salia’s Ebola test came back negative, his friends and colleagues threw their arms around him. They shook his hand. They patted him on the back. They removed their protective gear and cried.

But when his symptoms remained nearly a week later, Salia took another test, on Nov. 10. This one came back positive, sending the Sierra Leonean doctor with ties to Maryland on a desperate, belated quest for treatment and forcing the colleagues who had embraced him into quarantine.

“We were celebrating. If the test says you are Ebola-free, we assume you are Ebola-free,” said Komba Songu M’Briwa, who cared for Salia at the Hastings Ebola Treatment Center in Freetown. “Then everything fell apart.”

Salia died early Monday at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, his family left to wonder what would have happened if he had received earlier treatment (link).

I hope this doesn't influence folks in Sierra Leone to change their protocols and keep people quarantined who test negative for Ebola - even if they are symptomatic. Civil liberties, and what not.

I hope we don't see politicians lying about symptoms for days when none exist again. But Christie is still in office, so we might.

There has yet to be a case of someone in the US contracting Ebola who was not in direct contact with an Ebola patient and/or providing care for such a patient. Of those who have contracted Ebola in the US via direct contact with an Ebola patient, there has yet to be a single death.

Still not worried about an Ebola outbreak here in the US. If "here" means someplace other than the US, I might change my answer to the question.,

I hope we don't see politicians lying about symptoms for days when none exist again. But Christie is still in office, so we might.

Which politician did that? I don't remember Christie lying about symptoms for days.

There has yet to be a case of someone in the US contracting Ebola who was not in direct contact with an Ebola patient and/or providing care for such a patient. Of those who have contracted Ebola in the US via direct contact with an Ebola patient, there has yet to be a single death.

Still not worried about an Ebola outbreak here in the US. If "here" means someplace other than the US, I might change my answer to the question.,

Yes, Sol. I think everyone here realizes that. How about this - why don't you chime in only when you actually change your mind. Being reminded a few times a day that you are not worried is growing tedious.

BTW - I went to the FL DMV and you can get "NOEBOLA" on a license plate with an "Imagine" background. I shit you not.

Which politician did that? I don't remember Christie lying about symptoms for days.

She was released when she stopped displaying symptoms.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/10/chris_christie_says_nurse_treating_ebola_patients_release_had_nothing_to_do_with_her_hiring_a_lawyer.html

Symptoms are plural. She only ever displayed one, and that very briefly, just until they could get an oral thermometer in her.

Days later, Christie released her because she stopped displaying symptoms. Or so he said.

She was released when she stopped displaying symptoms.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/10/chris_christie_says_nurse_treating_ebola_patients_release_had_nothing_to_do_with_her_hiring_a_lawyer.html

Symptoms are plural. She only ever displayed one, and that very briefly, just until they could get an oral thermometer in her.

Days later, Christie released her because she stopped displaying symptoms. Or so he said.

Any idea what the CDC protocol was at the time? Moving target it is, but wasn't the initial screening done by the CDC or at least based on their protocols?

It is much easier to beat up on the fat boy than the Ebola Czar, because the Czar hasn't been seen in public since being appointed a month ago.

If a Czar ordered an asymptomatic woman to stay in a tent for days, I'd beat up on him. Christie did that, not any other kind of Czar.

But you're welcome, happy to jog your memory any time.

If a Czar ordered an asymptomatic woman to stay in a tent for days, I'd beat up on him. Christie did that, not any other kind of Czar.

I thought she was symptomatic based on a CDC airport screening and that she also worked with Ebola patients. The combination of the two, based on CDC standards - not Christies - got her red flagged. I'm assuming that Christie quarantined based on CDC protocols as they were at the time. Do you have any evidence that Christie took a flyer on his own on this one? What were CDC recommendations for someone returning from EA who had direct contact with Ebola patients and failed the CDC airport screening? Memory jog would be appreciated.

Still waiting for further information about how Christie lied for days about her symptoms. Perhaps you can jog my memory on that claim of yours as well.

Yes, Sol. I think everyone here realizes that. How about this - why don't you chime in only when you actually change your mind. Being reminded a few times a day that you are not worried is growing tedious.

BTW - I went to the FL DMV and you can get "NOEBOLA" on a license plate with an "Imagine" background. I shit you not.

Visited my GP last week and there is a large sign saying outside the medical building If you have traveled overseas in the last 21 day and currently have a fever please call this number before you enter the office.

Imagine intelligent trained medical doctors being afraid of silly Ole' Ebola...

Visited my GP last week and there is a large sign saying outside the medical building If you have traveled overseas in the last 21 day and currently have a fever please call this number before you enter the office.

Imagine intelligent trained medical doctors being afraid of silly Ole' Ebola...

Imagine that they are afraid of it.

I thought she was symptomatic based on a CDC airport screening and that she also worked with Ebola patients. The combination of the two, based on CDC standards - not Christies - got her red flagged. I'm assuming that Christie quarantined based on CDC protocols as they were at the time. Do you have any evidence that Christie took a flyer on his own on this one? What were CDC recommendations for someone returning from EA who had direct contact with Ebola patients and failed the CDC airport screening? Memory jog would be appreciated.

Still waiting for further information about how Christie lied for days about her symptoms. Perhaps you can jog my memory on that claim of yours as well.

Her symptom disappeared as soon as an oral thermometer appeared. Days later, Christie let her out of the tent in response to that disappearance. Maybe that impressed you, but I found it typical of a politician who can't admit he overreacted and would rather sacrifice her freedom for his pride.

Her symptom disappeared as soon as an oral thermometer appeared. Days later, Christie let her out of the tent in response to that disappearance. Maybe that impressed you, but I found it typical of a politician who can't admit he overreacted and would rather sacrifice her freedom for his pride.

Yet you seem hesitant to acknowledge the CDC's responsibility for her losing her freedom in the first place.

I just wanted to thank you all for following the SA Ebola Protection Protocol (SAEPP). At this point we appear to be relatively free of big E disease around here.

Just a reminder though:

1. Leave you pet monkey in Africa

2. Don't handle dead bodies

3. No Fruit Bats! And I mean it, absolutely no fruit bats in the diet.

Okay?

I just wanted to thank you all for following the SA Ebola Protection Protocol (SAEPP). At this point we appear to be relatively free of big E disease around here.

Just a reminder though:

Okay?

And do not fly into Newark. The other airports screening for Ebola are fine. Take your own temp at JFK after failing the CDC forehead scan and jump on the subway. No questions asked.

Just a reminder though:

Okay?

And do not fly into Newark. The other airports screening for Ebola are fine. Take your own temp at JFK after failing the CDC forehead scan and jump on the subway. No questions asked.

Once you are on a subway, you are no longer airborne.

so is anybody worried about ebola coming "here" (your definition of "here" may vary)?

so is anybody worried about ebola coming "here" (your definition of "here" may vary)?

Define "worried".

i didn't start the thread, pal...i am just reiterating the question...you know, the one in the OP...which makes it both about ebola and not about ebola depending on which side of the bed jack woke up on today...

so...are you worried about ebola coming here?

i didn't start the thread, pal...i am just reiterating the question...you know, the one in the OP...which makes it both about ebola and not about ebola depending on which side of the bed jack woke up on today...

There are, BTW, many conversations about the political implications in this thread that don't focus on attention whores like Sol.

Imagine!

YES (your definition of here may vary)

so you ARE worried...and what is your definition of here? did you find jack's advise helpful...did it alleviate your concerns? make you feel better prepared? if not, what would alleviate your concerns and make you feel better prepared?

I'm somewhere between "mildly concerned" and "somewhat worried" about an ebola outbreak in the US. I think we've been extraordinarily lucky so far with the few cases we've had. And while its extremely unlikely we will have an epidemic in the US - I do think we put our citizens at risk when we let travelers from a known hotspot walk around freely among the public. We may have someone eventually (almost certainly) who will not be so careful and self-monitor.

I also think the dichotomy of quarantining US soldiers for 21 days but say saying its counter-productive to do that for others is BULLSHIT. Its either one or the other. Pick one.

I think the bottom line is we don't know what we don't know about ebola. I don't think we need to go all chicken little about it. But I would rather keep it in West Africa than to allow it to spread here simply so we don't offend or inconvenience someone traveling to the US.

I'm somewhere between "mildly concerned" and "somewhat worried" about an ebola outbreak in the US. I think we've been extraordinarily lucky so far with the few cases we've had. And while its extremely unlikely we will have an epidemic in the US - I do think we put our citizens at risk when we let travelers from a known hotspot walk around freely among the public. We may have someone eventually (almost certainly) who will not be so careful and self-monitor.

I also think the dichotomy of quarantining US soldiers for 21 days but say saying its counter-productive to do that for others is BULLSHIT. Its either one or the other. Pick one.

I think the bottom line is we don't know what we don't know about ebola. I don't think we need to go all chicken little about it. But I would rather keep it in West Africa than to allow it to spread here simply so we don't offend or inconvenience someone traveling to the US.

interesting.

i remain decidedly not worried. do not take that to mean i do not think we could experience ebola in the u.s., i am just not worried about it and would not alter my behaviour any more than i would for norovirus, flu or salmonella, for that matter.

YES (your definition of here may vary)

so you ARE worried...and what is your definition of here? did you find jack's advise helpful...did it alleviate your concerns? make you feel better prepared? if not, what would alleviate your concerns and make you feel better prepared?

Sol's posting of CDC posters were very helpful. He wasn't very good at keeping up on the changes, but he has never been worried about Ebola coming here. I don't think anyone else here has been concerned about a major outbreak, but Sol is still sticking to typical bull shit - assume someone's paranoia. Exaggerate it and exploit it to the point that he seems paranoid.

I'm not sure where you live, Elle, but I have canned food, jugs of water, propane and other essentials stored away. I'm not paranoid. I live in New England and I'm prepared. I'm not relying on FEMA or the Red Cross.

Where is the outrage about that? Nothing. Christie is an ass hole, but DOD?

Yet you seem hesitant to acknowledge the CDC's responsibility for her losing her freedom in the first place.

No, I said upthread that the forehead scan justified taking her temperature with a more accurate method. If she didn't want that to happen, I'd be completely fine with detaining her until that test showed her to be asymptomatic.

And not a second longer. Certainly not several days longer. Holding people based on a symptom that exists briefly is justified only as long as the symptom exists.

The best way to meet the threat of ebola is on the ground in the areas most affected. In the long run that is best down by locals. We just need to make sure they have the tools to do it.

The rampant spread of Ebola in the US has caused me to revisit whether I am worried about. Ebola coming here.

Nope. Still not worried. More worried about running out of Yoo Hoo.

The best way to meet the threat of ebola is on the ground in the areas most affected. In the long run that is best down done by locals. We just need to make sure they have the tools to do it.

Only for a Clintonite.

Define "worried".

Why? Most people know what it means.

I don't see the word Ebola mentioned in the OP. I do see things like ...

"A bit of public awareness might reduce the panic when the time comes."

and "I think the public is not ready and the government should start educating us about how a disease outbreak will be contained."

The Question I see asked in the OP is ....

"Are you prepared for period of adversity? Lost job, weather disruption, earthquake, epidemic etc?"

Nope don't see Ebola in there at all but I did see that the Worry expressed refers to the potential for panic and a generic question about your preparation for all sorts of potential disruptions to normal life, both large scale and the personal.

and "I think the public is not ready and the government should start educating us about how a disease outbreak will be contained."

"Are you prepared for period of adversity? Lost job, weather disruption, earthquake, epidemic etc?"

Nope don't see Ebola in there at all but I did see that the Worry expressed refers to the potential for panic and a generic question about your preparation for all sorts of potential disruptions to normal life, both large scale and the personal.

Look at both the thread title and post #45. Someone asked about Eboila and then reminded everyone about the topic of the thread.

Putz.

do you see the word ebola in the title of the thread….but we've been through that before.

so….are you worried about ebola coming here?

do you see the word ebola in the title of the thread….but we've been through that before.

All Hypocrisy Jack© had to do was to say he used an unfortunate word choice in the thread title and draw folks back to what he claims he wanted to discuss - preparedness.

Then, he doubled down in post #45. Oooooops.

If he didn't have such a high opinion of himself, that could be possible. But, we are talking about a narcissist. He can't allow himself to consider he is anything short of perfect.

All Hypocrisy Jack© had to do was to say he used an unfortunate word choice in the thread title and draw folks back to what he claims he wanted to discuss - preparedness.

Then, he doubled down in post #45. Oooooops.

If he didn't have such a high opinion of himself, that could be possible. But, we are talking about a narcissist. He can't allow himself to consider he is anything short of perfect.

i'm gonna take that as a no ;)

No, I said upthread that the forehead scan justified taking her temperature with a more accurate method. If she didn't want that to happen, I'd be completely fine with detaining her until that test showed her to be asymptomatic.

And not a second longer. Certainly not several days longer. Holding people based on a symptom that exists briefly is justified only as long as the symptom exists.

Perhaps the airport screener employed by the CDC didn't get that memo, or his/her informational poster was not updated to reflect that protocol.

But go ahead - blame Christie for exercising caution based on CDC protocols.

Books have titles too but most people still read the WHOLE book to known what it was really about.

Only silly people and those that can't craft any better rebuttal are left attacking my Headlines and Titles.

funny-headlines-14.jpg