Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

26 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

It's a truly painful experience to observe firsthand the consequences of you having a mind consumed with paranoia, fear, hatred and ignorance

It's too bad I didn't come up with a way to protect us all from that painful experience, the way I came up with a way to protect all of us from Ebola.  Not a single case of SA Ebola, and I didn't even charge for it (I wouldn't take ObamaCare money).  

47 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It's too bad I didn't come up with a way to protect us all from that painful experience, the way I came up with a way to protect all of us from Ebola.  Not a single case of SA Ebola, and I didn't even charge for it (I wouldn't take ObamaCare money).  

You should have charged you could have retired to the South of France.

15 hours ago, hermetic said:

little girls bitch and moan anarchy

start it up   y'all could be two of it's biggest stars

Two??!! They all have socks ya know!

15 hours ago, badlatitude said:

You should have charged you could have retired to the South of France.

Well I think it was indisputably the greatest public service thread in the history of SA.  It protected all of us from the scourge identified in this very thread.  Well, all but one of us.  There was no protecting poor K-Mac the Clown from Ebola.  Pushed him right over the edge it did.  

1 minute ago, Turd Sandwich said:

So what do think the pulse will be towards the end of the year when Ofuckmecare goes up another 25 points?

Think we see any effort out of the D's towards single payer or more of the same. Blame the GOP and collect another check

Fuck you, I don't collect shit.  I have the same plan I had before ObummerCare.  Inasmuch as the CBO predicts that more people will lose coverage under the GOP's Wealthcare Bill than got coverage under ObummerCare, I will probably not have my long time policy for long.  But when the bill is crafted by 13 members of the GOP in secret, with no input from anyone but their lobbyists, who exactly should be responsible for it?  

2 minutes ago, Turd Sandwich said:

You miss the point entirely. I'm talking about politicians continuing to take money from the industry

Sorry.  Well, get ready, because my guess  is that the insurance pimps will get to tighten their grip on access to the product, to drive up demand, and the resulting higher prices and less coverage will cost the poor, working and middle class more for the less which they will get, all so that the Best Americans can get another tax break.    

8 minutes ago, Turd Sandwich said:

Lets try again. Heathcare is going up again. Mine is supposed to go up 27%.I'm negated down to the simplest of thoughts at this point. No more what ifs or they shouda's I'm down to basic survival. Can I afford it or not.

That is a whole different can of worms from political beliefs on whats right and wrong. Once you render someone down to that it gets ugly regardless of the letter after your name.Even the most benevolent will be singing a different song when they are forced to make a choice like that

Ugly is coming. How come politicians cant see this is mind blowing. 

Can't see it? They celebrate it!

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Can't see it? They celebrate it!

The minute that the "health care reform" push turned into a "health insurance reform" push, there was never going to be anyone winning but the insurance lobby.  The Senator from Aetna made sure that revenue streams for health care would flow through CT in perpetuity. Letting the same lobbyists re-write the system is not going to change that, it will just result in another senatorial nose in the anus of the privileged, at the expense of the masses.  

Let the get socialized medicine in the ER!  

TS is right, it is going to get ugly.   

1 minute ago, Turd Sandwich said:

My 902.00 would become 1,145.00. When i stop and think what i could do with almost 14K of extra after tax money each year.

Not to mention it costs another 5,500.00 to use. Fuck its 20K out of pocket to actually have a bill paid by the insurance company

The ER looks better and better all the time. Only down side is if you get cancer no one is going to pay for the chemo and maybe thats not such a bad idea

And that 20K gets spent whether or not the company actually decides to be benevolent and pay the bill they are supposed to pay, without sending the matter to the "No" department.  

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Really dodged a bullet on this stuff today.  

It's still out there. Isn't Mabongo near Larchmont Yacht Club?

Case Counts

As of June 15, 2017

Total cases (probable or confirmed): 8
Nambwa: 2 probable, 4 confirmed
Ngayi: 1 probable
Mabongo: 1 confirmed
Laboratory-confirmed cases: 3
Deaths: 4
Contacts being followed: 0

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

It's still out there. Isn't Mabongo near Larchmont Yacht Club?

Case Counts

As of June 15, 2017

Total cases (probable or confirmed): 8
Nambwa: 2 probable, 4 confirmed
Ngayi: 1 probable
Mabongo: 1 confirmed
Laboratory-confirmed cases: 3
Deaths: 4
Contacts being followed: 0

whistling past the graveyard.  

12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

whistling past the graveyard.  

All it takes is a swift wind and BOOM, it hits the northeast before anywhere else. Good thing he lives in Santa Cruz now.

4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

All it takes is a swift wind and BOOM, it hits the northeast before anywhere else. Good thing he lives in Santa Cruz now.

terrifying.  Even more danger out there.  

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

What about anthrax?  That's terrifying. And in Africa. Starting with hippos, but will it spread to people next?  We need a Strong Response. 

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/10/10/Anthrax-killed-more-than-100-hippos-in-Namibia-officials-say/2511507610526/

It’s already in red hat territory,   We should prevent potentially infected North Dakotan visitors and business travelers from entering the US.

BAD83674-A4B7-44F7-9733-1F10135F9322.gif

On 11/10/2017 at 11:56 AM, Remodel said:

This thread was epic. God, I love this place.

The election-year gift that just keeps on giving.  

I'm pretty convinced my due diligence in this thread has prevented the spread of the disease to the Middle East as well.

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I used to be worried about Ebola but now I feel it slipping away. 

l thought I found some between my toes but it turned out to be mashed pickled beets. Not sure how that happened, I haven't had those for ten years or more.

Here's me and the family getting ready to enjoying the great outdoors up near Tahoe and being ready for any ebola we might come across. Might swing by and see Dabs!

6a011570c3de61970c01b8d0808dd0970c-pi

Left to Right: Me, BHyde Jr., Ms BHyde, BHyde Jr.'s Father, Donald BHyde Jr., Some black guy.

ebola-virus-outbreak.png

The CDC Is About to Fall Off a Funding Cliff

It's already planning to pull back on work that protects the world from pandemics.

In December 2014, Congress appropriated $5.4 billion to fight the historic Ebola epidemic that was raging in West Africa. Most of that money went to quashing the epidemic directly, but around $1 billion was allocated to help developing countries improve their ability to detect and respond to infectious diseases. The logic is sound: It is far more efficient to invest money in helping countries contain diseases at the source, than to risk small outbreaks flaring up into large international disasters.

But the $1 billion pot, which was mostly divided between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and USAID, runs out in 2019—a fiscal cliff with disaster at its foot. As I wrote:

That money has been used well, to train epidemiologists, buy equipment, upgrade labs, and stockpile drugs. If it disappears, progress will halt, and potentially reverse. The CDC, for example, would have to pull back 80 percent of its staff in 35 countries, breaking ties with local ministries of health.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02/cdc-funding-pandemics/552224/

4 hours ago, Mid said:

The CDC Is About to Fall Off a Funding Cliff

It's already planning to pull back on work that protects the world from pandemics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02/cdc-funding-pandemics/552224/

Just watch - any nasty bugs causing a pandemic will be attributed to a White Christian God being angry at how he is being ignored. 

That is when the turbo-Christian right flexes its muscle and finally installs the theocracy they’ve been planning. 

My throat is scratchy this morning. Ebola? Shit, now I’m scared. 

11 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Are you worried about Disease X coming here?

sounds like Malcolm X. Scary!

What yup bro'

can't fine nuttin riginal an try revive whatcha tink you grates tits?

4 minutes ago, Writs Cracker said:

What yup bro'

can't fine nuttin riginal an try revive whatcha tink you grates tits?

The return of poopie pants. It's like catching syphilis, only less pleasant. Ignore bin.

• Like 1

Does anyone seriously think Trump can make them safe from this? http://time.com/5177802/cdc-budget-cuts-infectious-disease/

'Major, major game-changer': Ebola spreads to big Congo city

Source: Associated Press

Saleh Mwanamilongo and Carley Petesch, Associated Press 
Updated 6:16 pm, Thursday, May 17, 2018 

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo's Ebola outbreak has spread to a crossroads city of more than 1 million people in a troubling turn that marks the first time the vast, impoverished country has encountered the lethal virus in an urban area.

"This is a major, major game-changer in the outbreak," Dr. Peter Salama, the World Health Organization's deputy director-general of emergency preparedness and response, warned on Thursday. 

A single case of Ebola was confirmed in Mbandaka, a densely populated provincial capital on the Congo River, Congo's Health Minister Oly Ilunga said late Wednesday. The city is about 150 kilometers (93 miles) from Bikoro, the rural area where the outbreak was announced last week. 

Late Thursday, Congo's Ministry of Health announced 11 new confirmed Ebola cases and two deaths tied to cases in the country's northwest, none of which were in Mbandaka.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/medical/article/Ebola-spreads-to-city-entering-3-health-zones-in-12921533.php 

5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Does anyone seriously think Trump can make them safe from this? http://time.com/5177802/cdc-budget-cuts-infectious-disease/

'Major, major game-changer': Ebola spreads to big Congo city

Source: Associated Press

Saleh Mwanamilongo and Carley Petesch, Associated Press 
Updated 6:16 pm, Thursday, May 17, 2018 

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo's Ebola outbreak has spread to a crossroads city of more than 1 million people in a troubling turn that marks the first time the vast, impoverished country has encountered the lethal virus in an urban area.

"This is a major, major game-changer in the outbreak," Dr. Peter Salama, the World Health Organization's deputy director-general of emergency preparedness and response, warned on Thursday. 

A single case of Ebola was confirmed in Mbandaka, a densely populated provincial capital on the Congo River, Congo's Health Minister Oly Ilunga said late Wednesday. The city is about 150 kilometers (93 miles) from Bikoro, the rural area where the outbreak was announced last week. 

Late Thursday, Congo's Ministry of Health announced 11 new confirmed Ebola cases and two deaths tied to cases in the country's northwest, none of which were in Mbandaka.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/medical/article/Ebola-spreads-to-city-entering-3-health-zones-in-12921533.php 

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/54535/title/Head-of-Global-Health-Security-Ousted-from-White-House/

Looks like we'll have to crank up my plan to protect SA from Ebola.  Again.  

I'm afraid. I's so a scared, I 'bout pissed mah pants....

Itz deez nigras dey bringin' in to do da fahm woiks...... Dem's all got dizeez.... And dey murdaruhs, and dey looks foah white wimmin' folk to rape! Trooo Dat! I tells ya troo!

25 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/54535/title/Head-of-Global-Health-Security-Ousted-from-White-House/

Looks like we'll have to crank up my plan to protect SA from Ebola.  Again.  

Didn’t we once have a poster who started a thread about being prepared? 

Like, a kit, or something?

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Didn’t we once have a poster who started a thread about being prepared? 

Like, a kit, or something?

I bet we'll hear from him again once the panic gets going.

No faith in vaccines?    

7 minutes ago, Lark said:

No faith in vaccines?    

We have a thread that will keep SA safe from Ebola.  The only effect Ebola ever had here was that it caused one of us to go batshit crazy, but he was 3/4 of the way there already so it didn't count.  

CDC prepares to join Ebola fight in Africa

BY REID WILSON - 05/18/18 10:46 AM EDT

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is preparing to deploy staffers to several cities and towns deep in the Congolese jungle amid a new Ebola outbreak that has claimed at least two dozen lives.

The CDC maintains an office in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, about 350 miles from the epicenter of the outbreak. The dozen or so staffers who work in that office are likely to deploy to the hot zone once they receive a formal invite from Congo’s health ministry.

In an interview, Pierre Rollin, one of CDC’s top Ebola experts, said the World Health Organization (WHO) is leading the response and coordinating among both governmental and nongovernmental organizations responding to the ongoing outbreak.

“We’re offering them a roster of 12 or 15 people that will be able to go there,” Rollin said. “They’re ready to go as soon as they’ve got an invitation. The invitation is from the Ministry of Health through the WHO.”

The news comes one day after health officials reported the first Ebola case in a major Congolese city, a troubling shift for the outbreak. 

Four years after an Ebola outbreak in West Africa killed more than 11,300 people, the groups that respond to a new outbreak practice familiar roles. WHO coordinates national and international efforts. UNICEF manages communications between the groups. Doctors Without Borders has taken the lead on patient care, opening Ebola treatment centers and isolation wards in the city of Mbandaka and the town of Bikoro.

The Red Cross is handling safe burials of those who succumb to the disease. Virus transmission through traditional burials accounted for the vast majority of Ebola’s spread through Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the West African countries hit hardest by the 2014-2015 outbreak"

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/388297-cdc-prepares-to-join-ebola-fight-in-africa.

We're going to have to reactivate my SA Ebola Protection Mechanism, I'm afraid.  It's only the greatest public service thread ever.  Many people are saying it.  Belief me.  I don't want any credit, even though nobody else could have thought of something so brilliant.  I'm humble.  I'm the most humble person you will ever meet.  Bigly.  

On 10/2/2014 at 7:07 PM, Happy Jack said:

We got a taste of what this thread was about.

Sure one case can be treated and contained. The problem is the concern and even panic that some are experiencing.

This is with only 7,000 or so cases worldwide. What is the CDC was not exaggerating and the eventual count tops 1,000,000? A lot more cases of people traveling to western nations is possible.

Was this a case where the man was concerned he may have been exposed and wanted to be in the US just in case? infect 1,000,000 in Africa and you will see a flood of people traveling to western nations for our superior treatment.

We have great health care but we don't an excess of isolation wards.

But this is only the beginning. The real panic will come when someone who was never in Africa dies. The reaction we see now will look like nothing.

One has to wonder if this man was al Qaeda and his goal was to spread the disease as a suicide vector how many he could infect.

A suicide vector?  That sounds terrifying.  

Cities most closely connected to the point of origin of the Ebola outbreak:

1. Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo

2. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

3. Brazzaville, Republic of Congo

4. Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of Congo

5. Brussels, Belgium

6. Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo

7. Paris, France

8. Nairobi, Kenya

9. Johannesburg, South Africa

10. Kisangani, Democratic Republic of Congo

Countries most closely connected to the point of origin of the Ebola outbreak:

1. Democratic Republic of Congo

2. Republic of Congo

3. Ethiopia

4. Belgium

5. France

6. Kenya

7. South Africa

8. Gabon

9. Morocco

10. Côte d’Ivoire

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/966076/ebola-virus-outbreak-2018-news-congo-symptoms-uk-europe

Better book your cruise Jack

Ebola outbreak could spiral out of control as health workers deal with armed insurgents

CBC News

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 2:15 PM ET 

The latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is at risk of spiralling out of control, as health workers try to contend with both armed insurgents and hostile locals. 

The latest World Health Organization figures, released this morning in Geneva, tally 200 cases and 125 deaths since this outbreak in north-eastern DRC began Aug. 1. That was just a week after the previous cluster of infections in the western part of the country had finally been declared vanquished. 

The most pressing worry is that the rate of new, confirmed and suspected cases has more than doubled over the past month. It's a clear indication that efforts to contain the spread of the virus are failing, particularly in the city of Beni, the epicentre of the new outbreak. 

"Insecurity that has increased in the city is one of the reasons why we are seeing these new cases coming up," Tarik Jasarevic, a WHO spokesman, told reporters. "On a daily basis, we can't go for a couple of hours to some areas because there is either a shooting going on, or there is a protest."

Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/national-today-newsletter-ebola-congo-kanye-swift-cannabis-1.4855193 

On 8/5/2014 at 5:10 PM, Happy Jack said:

Is it just a matter of time before there is a serious outbreak in the US?

I think the public is not ready and the government should start educating us about how a disease outbreak will be contained. How quarantines works how food an care will be distributed. A bit of public awareness might reduce the panic when the time comes.

Still not worried. 

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Still not worried. 

Dunno, as effective as this preventative SOLution was - and it was brilliant, don't get me wrong - but What if the virus mutates and is able to break through our defenses?  Shouldn't we panic just a little bit?  Just to be on the safe side?

29 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Dunno, as effective as this preventative SOLution was - and it was brilliant, don't get me wrong - but What if the virus mutates and is able to break through our defenses?  Shouldn't we panic just a little bit?  Just to be on the safe side?

Not in a non-election year.  

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
35 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Not in a non-election year.  

Good point.

Why is it that certain denizens here are more worried about the very low probability possibilities of Ebola and nuclear winter while righting off the very high probability risks of climate change? Is there some fundamental issue with American education since their analytical skills seem so poor. Perhaps I should say was there  a problem with American education since most of these guys are old farts and younger Americans seem much more on the ball as shown by voting trends.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Why is it that certain denizens here are more worried about the very low probability possibilities of Ebola and nuclear winter while righting off the very high probability risks of climate change? Is there some fundamental issue with American education since their analytical skills seem so poor. Perhaps I should say was there  a problem with American education since most of these guys are old farts and younger Americans seem much more on the ball as shown by voting trends.

This was when there was a democRAT in the White House, and there was an election coming up.  It was the "the democRATS can't keep us safe" method of winning elections.  Keeping us here at SA safe from Ebola was easy.  Not a single case of Ebola for anyone here at SA, thanks to perhaps the greatest public service forum thread in history, in my humble opinion.  

24 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Why is it that certain denizens here are more worried about the very low probability possibilities of Ebola and nuclear winter while righting off the very high probability risks of climate change? 

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The 2A was handed down to us by Founders with foresight for a reason.

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

A little pre-emotive panic, eh?

3 hours ago, Mickey Rat said:

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

Please note the Trump White House report on climate change, issued yesterday....

Ebola is currently spreading in Africa in ways not previously seen. 

Ebola  has not yet broken out in a metropolitan area where international business is conducted. 

We absolutely should be on alert and making certain it does not spread into such an area. 

In the meantime, I am rigging up my AERO and going for a ride. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Ebola is currently spreading in Africa in ways not previously seen. 

Ebola  has not yet broken out in a metropolitan area where international business is conducted. 

We absolutely should be on alert and making certain it does not spread into such an area. 

In the meantime, I am rigging up my AERO and going for a ride. 

It's true. it's a particularly nasty Ebola season this year. 
But the President isnot being accused of bringing Ebola to the US.

I wonder why? @Dog help me out here.

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

He had no room for Ebola, he was full of syphilis.

13 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Nothing @Dog?

Last I saw the vaccine appeared to protect, but an American style distrust of vaccines and government responders was dooming them to disease.    

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Last I saw the vaccine appeared to protect, but an American style distrust of vaccines and government responders was dooming them to disease.    

Never mind the random violence being committed in petty local power struggles that keep med teams from safely operating.

But no, I'm not worried. 

No worries for those of us here on SA, thanks to what in my humble opinion is the greatest public service thread of all time. 

23 minutes ago, VOA said:

You are a retard. Fuck off.

Don't be so Grumpy dude.  oh, wait.....

27 minutes ago, VOA said:

You are a retard. Fuck off.

Why don't you fuck off asshole?

Lash out at me now, but it's only a matter of time before some executive with Foxy News figures out how to spin the current Ebola outbreak into a border security argument.  

The democRATS have no plan for that!  Weak!  

There's a thread around here to keep us all safe, so all is well.