Happy Jack

Are you worried about Ebola coming here?

So you should know.

You just grabbed a scary pitcher on google image search and ran with it, didn't you?

You apparently didn't use google.

Again - a moron.

The second word in the title of the web page with that image is "Hotels"

Guest One of Five

funny that's what you came up with.. google remembers previous searches.

Guest One of Five

?

think about it.

?

think about it.

Google does not rename the title of a web page when you are on that web page.

Where did you lift the fake image from?

Guest One of Five

ummm google ...

try harder next time clear your history and delete your cache and let us know.

If you still see "hotel" and other stuff it's because google has your IP address.

I don't want to hear about your other searches

apparently you search for "hotel" a lot.

No judgements.

I know its tough being you.

bullshit. that image is on a site called adventure hotels www.safe.travel. has nothing to do with previous searches.

Guest One of Five

bullshit. that image is on a site called adventure hotels www.safe.travel. has nothing to do with previous searches.

Isn't that fascinating that you both came up with that......

I just need to savor this...

i don't give a shit where you got it crazy pants. the image is on that site and has nothing to do with previous searches.

Had a long conversation with my Epidemiologist Daughter who has two years on the front lines in the Congo and Mozambique with MSF**

She thinks the scope of this current outbreak will grow but she also thinks a US military lab will be first with a vaccine.

She said that Sierra Leone has announced a national 3 day absolute nation wide quarantine. No one leaves their home for 3 full days. I said but the incubation period is much longer and she said that for Ebola a three day interruption in the chain reaction is mathematically enough to drop the multiplication rate below unity (1) i.e. the number of new case will start to decrease combined with a house to house check for symptomatic patients which will be further quarantined. I guess they paint a Red X on your hovel.

NSF is against the plan as they think it will drive patients to flea and only spread the disease wider.

Sounds like public education is a good start to avoid panic and other problems. But Liberals who have applauded Public Service announcements in general don't like the idea all of a sudden.

The War Advertising Council ... now the ... Ad Council

1942 - 1945 "Women in War Jobs," "Buy War Bonds" and "Loose Lips" campaigns created

1944 Smokey Bear created by Foote, Cone & Belding

1950 Eleanor Roosevelt and General Eisenhower appear in anti-communism ads. Korea conflict restarts war bond campaign

1953 Ad Council sponsors broadcast of CARE
1957 Fund-raising for Red Cross campaigns
1958 Campaign for Salk polio vaccine begins
1961 Peace Corps launches 30-year campaign, "The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love"
1972 UNCF launches "A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Waste" campaign
1973 "Crying Indian" wins two Clio awards
1978 McGruff the crime dog takes first bite out of crime
1981 Drug abuse and alcoholism campaigns begin
1982 Nancy Reagan asks America to "Just Say No"
1985 Vince & Larry, the crash-test dummies, encourage Americans to buckle up
1988 First AIDS campaign begins
2005 Addressing the obesity crisis confronting the nation and its children, Ad Council launches its Coalition for Healthy Children
2011 Ad Council rereleases “I Am an American” PSA in honor of the 10th anniversary of 9/11

But no room at the Inn to educate us about potential epidemics.

Médecins Sans Frontières - Doctors Without Borders

When you asked "Are you worried about Ebola coming here?", were you posting from Cameroon? If so, my answer might be different than it is if "here" refers to the US.

I'd suggest the CDC focus their education efforts on diseases already here. The nasty little virus sending kids to the hospital, now, would be a good place to start. Wait, they already did that.

So you want the Gov't to spread some Malarkey about an imminent plague, that may, or may not, hit the US?

i think a travel advisory is warranted. That's about it.

I'd suggest the CDC focus their education efforts on diseases already here. The nasty little virus sending kids to the hospital, now, would be a good place to start. Wait, they already did that.

So you want the Gov't to spread some Malarkey about an imminent plague, that may, or may not, hit the US?

For Hypocrisy Jack©, It doesn't matter what the government does. If Obama is the POTUS, the governmental response was wrong.

What a shame that he works so hard to undermine the President. Of course, Obama is working hard in that regard, too.

But, that just illustrates the level of Hypocrisy with which Jack is personally comfortable.

I thought I might be worried about Ebola coming here when I woke up this morning...

but it turned out that I just had to pee.

How dare the NY Times take my position. Those fear mongers ....

1zv76dy.png

Who would say such things? Must be some Right Wingnut Religious idiot selling freeze dried bananas.

2n7i6vp.png

Hell, I'd be more afraid of HIV mutating to be air transmissible than Ebola. How many HIV carriers are there again?

Hell, I'd be more afraid of HIV mutating to be air transmissible than Ebola. How many HIV carriers are there again?

HIV is genetically unique.

Guest One of Five

How dare the NY Times take my position. Those fear mongers ....

1zv76dy.png

Who would say such things? Must be some Right Wingnut Religious idiot selling freeze dried bananas.

2n7i6vp.png

You forgot the second part of this.

In 2012, a team of Canadian researchers proved that Ebola Zaire, the same virus that is causing the West Africa outbreak, could be transmitted by the respiratory route from pigs to monkeys, both of whose lungs are very similar to those of humans. Richard Preston’s 1994 best seller “The Hot Zone” chronicled a 1989 outbreak of a different strain, Ebola Reston virus, among monkeys at a quarantine station near Washington. The virus was transmitted through breathing, and the outbreak ended only when all the monkeys were euthanized. We must consider that such transmissions could happen between humans, if the virus mutates.

So what must we do that we are not doing?

Continue reading the main story RECENT COMMENTS
Jack Thompson 9 minutes ago

"The second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus...

BobNelson2 9 minutes ago

Long before Ebola infects or kills any significant number of people, it will destroy the world's economies.

JLIn 9 minutes ago

Since discrimination will not be tolerated, infected people will board planes in Africa and seed the planetary pandemic. That will be the...

• SEE ALL COMMENTS

First, we need someone to take over the position of “command and control.” The United Nations is the only international organization that can direct the immense amount of medical, public health and humanitarian aid that must come from many different countries and nongovernmental groups to smother this epidemic. Thus far it has played at best a collaborating role, and with everyone in charge, no one is in charge.

A Security Council resolution could give the United Nations total responsibility for controlling the outbreak, while respecting West African nations’ sovereignty as much as possible. The United Nations could, for instance, secure aircraft and landing rights. Many private airlines are refusing to fly into the affected countries, making it very difficult to deploy critical supplies and personnel. The Group of 7 countries’ military air and ground support must be brought in to ensure supply chains for medical and infection-control products, as well as food and water for quarantined areas.

The United Nations should provide whatever number of beds are needed; the World Health Organization has recommended 1,500, but we may need thousands more. It should also coordinate the recruitment and training around the world of medical and nursing staff, in particular by bringing in local residents who have survived Ebola, and are no longer at risk of infection. Many countries are pledging medical resources, but donations will not result in an effective treatment system if no single group is responsible for coordinating them.

Finally, we have to remember that Ebola isn’t West Africa’s only problem. Tens of thousands die there each year from diseases like AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis. Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea have among the highest maternal mortality rates in the world. Because people are now too afraid of contracting Ebola to go to the hospital, very few are getting basic medical care. In addition, many health care workers have been infected with Ebola, and more than 120 have died. Liberia has only 250 doctors left, for a population of four million.

This is about humanitarianism and self-interest. If we wait for vaccines and new drugs to arrive to end the Ebola epidemic, instead of taking major action now, we risk the disease’s reaching from West Africa to our own backyards.

Michael T. Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

WTF is this supposed to mean? HIV does/has mutated. It is a retrovirus, meaning it's genome is RNA and when transcribing the RNA there is more chance of error since the RNA Polymerase enzyme is not particularly good at proof reading the bases as they get laid down. That RNA genome must also undergo "reverse transcription" when it first enters the host cell, meaning HIV's own polymerase reads the RNA strand, generating a DNA complement strand that then integrates into the host genome. So this is another point where errors can/do occur.

Isn't this thread not about Ebola?

Carry on Chicken Little.

Guest One of Five

is the New York Times "chicken little" for carrying this? or do you just want to attack his Jackness?

I'm seeing a lot of "slam on the Jack - don't listen to the fact" in this thread.

it's more than sad.

Regarding viral mutations and evolution...most viruses evolve to reach a more symbiotic state within their host animals. It's more likely to be successful persisting and spreading if it does not kill its host quickly or at all. It is only when a virus crosses into a different host species that we see high morbidity and mortality rates.

While Ebola mutation to airborne transmission is within realm of possibility, so is mutation to less virulence in humans.

is the New York Times "chicken little" for carrying this? or do you just want to attack his Jackness?

I'm seeing a lot of "slam on the Jack - don't listen to the fact" in this thread.

it's more than sad.

So your suggestion is to run around with heads squawking madly?

Chill Winston...

Guest One of Five

Regarding viral mutations and evolution...most viruses evolve to reach a more symbiotic state within their host animals. It's more likely to be successful persisting and spreading if it does not kill its host quickly or at all. It is only when a virus crosses into a different host species that we see high morbidity and mortality rates.

While Ebola mutation to airborne transmission is within realm of possibility, so is mutation to less virulence in humans.

Great thanks, do we develop a national health policy based on your theory? You willing to back that up with increased exposure? Please rookie. Take that shit to the minor leagues.

Great thanks, do we develop a national health policy based on your theory? You willing to back that up with increased exposure? Please rookie. Take that shit to the minor leagues.

I've worked on molecular biology of Adeno, Paramyxo and Hanta viruses, so i do know a wee bit about the field. How about you?

Name me one virus that has ever wiped out its normal host species? Never been observed. All virus species in their normal/natural hosts do not create serious diseases in that host. That's basic evolution at work.

Why don't you learn some basic biology before making criticisms?

That's number one you're trying to converse with. He's one of those too smart to fail guys.

Guest One of Five

I've worked on molecular biology of Adeno, Paramyxo and Hanta viruses, so i do know a wee bit about the field. How about you?

Name me one virus that has ever wiped out its normal host species? Never been observed. All virus species in their normal/natural hosts do not create serious diseases in that host. That's basic evolution at work.

because I trust people i know versus some lame ass anonymous internet ID on a sailing website who doesn't accept responsibility for himself and others on a sailboat offshore or nearshore.

Answer the question?

You need to accept personal responsibility for your opinion or back the fuck off.

State your name and your credentials and then I'll believe you're serious about your opinion.

Otherwise you're just another dickshit attorney from Floriduh who didn't pass a basic science course let alone get a BS in anything from BS.

Troll.

You are in way over your head here. Some folks have Superior Knowledge. The breadth and depth of that knowledge is such that they do not need to give credence to the CDC or any other group of mere scientists who study such things as Ebola. Your trifling snippets of trivia are no match for the righteous authority of howling bloviation. When you ask "why" and they say "because", that is the end of it, Mister. Let it go, or surrender your personal information.

it's more than sad.

You are blind the "slam on KMcCabe - don't listen to the tard" that is pretty prevalent in this thread.

Guest One of Five

tumblr_m0wmr2ZHLG1qjaloj.gif

wow - what a fucking loser.

You're dad must be sooooo proud.

Guest One of Five

so I see no backup - you full of shit or do you want to take on someone who's decided to put their reputation on the line?

Guest One of Five

it's more than sad.

You are blind the "slam on KMcCabe - don't listen to the tard" that is pretty prevalent in this thread.

lookie a troll posts something - you must be funnnnneeee

it's more than sad.

Hydrate Kev. It will help the hangover. You can thank me tomorrow.

Guest One of Five

it's more than sad.

Hydrate Kev. It will help the hangover. You can thank me tomorrow.

Thank you.

Guest One of Five

You are in way over your head here. Some folks have Superior Knowledge. The breadth and depth of that knowledge is such that they do not need to give credence to the CDC or any other group of mere scientists who study such things as Ebola. Your trifling snippets of trivia are no match for the righteous authority of howling bloviation. When you ask "why" and they say "because", that is the end of it, Mister. Let it go, or surrender your personal information.

Lookie a Floriduh attorney posts an opinion....

WTF is this supposed to mean? HIV does/has mutated. It is a retrovirus, meaning it's genome is RNA and when transcribing the RNA there is more chance of error since the RNA Polymerase enzyme is not particularly good at proof reading the bases as they get laid down. That RNA genome must also undergo "reverse transcription" when it first enters the host cell, meaning HIV's own polymerase reads the RNA strand, generating a DNA complement strand that then integrates into the host genome. So this is another point where errors can/do occur.

Carry on Chicken Little.

A vaccine for HIV has eluded us. Since the first Ebola outbreak we have done a fair job confining it to small groups and containment was easier. Now the outbreak is in the bigger cities and the task is dramatically harder. At least now the military and private labs will actually seek an ebola vaccine and unlike HIV that should be achievable in a few years or even less than a year.

So all you anti Mormon morons, yes morons, let your hatreds and bigotry cloud your common sense to the point that some of you said that a modest food, water and financial rainy day fun was just religious, voodoo, flat earth, prepper, God be a com'n hysteria.

I do not know which disease will be the next 1918 but I do know that people like you that mock those that suggest a little forethought could be wise do all of us a disservice.

Have you failed to notice the Global warming parallels the runs through this thread? You sir are an Epidemic Denier.

In the mean time my food storage covers me for natural disasters, civil disruption, famine (aren't you GW types predicting food shortages?) or any other unexpected, life event.

Tell me Flash do you have any insurance? If you never file a claim will it have been wasted money? Were you stupid to buy it? Home storage is just another form of insurance.

What will happen if TB becomes resistant to our last few firewall antibiotics?

Is gene splicing and virus manipulation becoming easier, more automated and less expensive or not?

Genome sequencing will break the $1000 barrier and then $100 barrier as it follows Moore's law.

The same is true of all Genetic manipulation tools.

This path might save us or end us. It is already a lot cheaper to make a virus than a nuclear bomb.

Obama to visit CDC to find out how the government can spread Ebola via the Postal Service.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/09/12/president-obama-visits-cdc-ebola-briefing/15518257/

Wow - yet another attempt at deflection -With a Side of Attempted Humor.

Keep your daytime job - don't try to play in the national leagues.

Sol is an idiot. I guess Dr. Osterholm is not good enough for him

4etmh.png

PS Do you have to quote that dipshit so often?

Guest One of Five

Holy shit. 7 day incubation, no doubt about it.

So what do you think Obama should do?

Or do you get your panties in a twist when you don't like what you read?

Obama to visit CDC to find out how the government can spread Ebola via the Postal Service.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/09/12/president-obama-visits-cdc-ebola-briefing/15518257/

Wow - yet another attempt at deflection -With a Side of Attempted Humor.

Keep your daytime job - don't try to play in the national leagues.

Sol is an idiot. I guess Dr. Osterholm is not good enough for him

4etmh.png

PS Do you have to quote that dipshit so often?

"Sol" owns this place --- be very afraid...

Mr 1of 5

What is this sol you speak of ? I don't remember seeing anything of significance under that listing. Is there something there I should be looking for ?

Guest One of Five

It's in the second sentence of my post.

my guess your panties are in a twist - sadly you don't have reading comprehension skills. Have our public schools in Cali failed us?

Guest One of Five

Mr 1of 5

What is this sol you speak of ? I don't remember seeing anything of significance under that listing. Is there something there I should be looking for ?

He's a leftie that trolls as a "conservative" - yet stunninlgy only attacks those on the "right" who challenge the "left". My guess is he's another failed attempt at a public figure. So sad to see people waste themselves that way.

September 6, 2014 Outbreak Update - As of August 28, 2014

• No confirmed Ebola cases have been reported in the United States.
  • On August 29, 2014, Senegal's Ministry of Public Health and Social Affairs announced a case of Ebola virus disease (EVD) in Senegal. The case is in a man from Guinea who traveled to Senegal.
  • The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has reported cases of Ebola. These cases are not related to the ongoing outbreak of Ebola in West Africa. For information on the outbreak in DRC, see the 2014 Ebola Outbreak in DRC page.
  • HHS has contracted with Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc. to develop and manufacture ZMapp. Mapp Biopharmaceutical will manufacture a small amount of the drug for early stage clinical safety studies and nonclinical studies.
  • NIH will begin initial human testing of an investigational vaccine to prevent EVD in early September and is working with a company to develop an antiviral drug to treat Ebola.
  • U.S. Department of Defense has funded two companies that are developing drug therapies for Ebola and is working with another company to develop an Ebola vaccine.
  • CDC returned a staff member from West Africa by charter flight after the employee had low-risk contact with an international health worker who recently tested positive for Ebola. This CDC staff member is not sick and does not show symptoms of Ebola. Friends, family, co-workers, and the public are not at risk of getting Ebola from this person.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/index.html

Guest One of Five

It's in the second sentence of my post.

my guess your panties are in a twist - sadly you don't have reading comprehension skills. Have our public schools in Cali failed us?

Why?

ok - 'Cause?

Guest One of Five

September 6, 2014 Outbreak Update - As of August 28, 2014

• On August 29, 2014, Senegal's Ministry of Public Health and Social Affairs announced a case of Ebola virus disease (EVD) in Senegal. The case is in a man from Guinea who traveled to Senegal.
  • The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has reported cases of Ebola. These cases are not related to the ongoing outbreak of Ebola in West Africa. For information on the outbreak in DRC, see the 2014 Ebola Outbreak in DRC page.
  • HHS has contracted with Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc. to develop and manufacture ZMapp. Mapp Biopharmaceutical will manufacture a small amount of the drug for early stage clinical safety studies and nonclinical studies.
  • NIH will begin initial human testing of an investigational vaccine to prevent EVD in early September and is working with a company to develop an antiviral drug to treat Ebola.
  • U.S. Department of Defense has funded two companies that are developing drug therapies for Ebola and is working with another company to develop an Ebola vaccine.
  • CDC returned a staff member from West Africa by charter flight after the employee had low-risk contact with an international health worker who recently tested positive for Ebola. This CDC staff member is not sick and does not show symptoms of Ebola. Friends, family, co-workers, and the public are not at risk of getting Ebola from this person.

And sadly - this HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE POSTED YESTERDAY.

But you're "smarter" than that?

Not looking good.....

Carry on Chicken Little.

A vaccine for HIV has eluded us. Since the first Ebola outbreak we have done a fair job confining it to small groups and containment was easier. Now the outbreak is in the bigger cities and the task is dramatically harder. At least now the military and private labs will actually seek an ebola vaccine and unlike HIV that should be achievable in a few years or even less than a year.

So all you anti Mormon morons, yes morons, let your hatreds and bigotry cloud your common sense to the point that some of you said that a modest food, water and financial rainy day fun was just religious, voodoo, flat earth, prepper, God be a com'n hysteria.

I do not know which disease will be the next 1918 but I do know that people like you that mock those that suggest a little forethought could be wise do all of us a disservice.

Have you failed to notice the Global warming parallels the runs through this thread? You sir are an Epidemic Denier.

In the mean time my food storage covers me for natural disasters, civil disruption, famine (aren't you GW types predicting food shortages?) or any other unexpected, life event.

Tell me Flash do you have any insurance? If you never file a claim will it have been wasted money? Were you stupid to buy it? Home storage is just another form of insurance.

Like I wrote, happy with his mormon head up his ass, i've plenty of supplies, insurance and savings for the "big one" which is infinitely more likely to happen in my lifetime than some Ebola-induced mass hysteria. However, I don't claim that it took religion to make me do it. I looked at where I live, and who's reliant on me. Pretty simple after that. Take your proselytizing to some website where people care.

Mr 1of 5

He's a leftie that trolls as a "conservative" - yet stunninlgy only attacks those on the "right" who challenge the "left". My guess is he's another failed attempt at a public figure. So sad to see people waste themselves that way.

why would taking adequate preparation for a possible emergency be a left/right issue? I guess when you're bi-polar, everything is binary.

If you'll note, most of us pooh-pooh the hysteria of the Jack over Ebola. "The Gov't run by that idiotic Kenyan must DO SOMETHING!!!" Which is different than ensuring you have emergency supplies for something that is statistically likely to happen.

Guest One of Five

Mr 1of 5

why would taking adequate preparation for a possible emergency be a left/right issue? I guess when you're bi-polar, everything is binary.

If you'll note, most of us pooh-pooh the hysteria of the Jack over Ebola. "The Gov't run by that idiotic Kenyan must DO SOMETHING!!!" Which is different than ensuring you have emergency supplies for something that is statistically likely to happen.

You're reading comprehension skills really do suck...

Carry on Chicken Little.

Like I wrote, happy with his mormon head up his ass, i've plenty of supplies, insurance and savings for the "big one" which is infinitely more likely to happen in my lifetime than some Ebola-induced mass hysteria. However, I don't claim that it took religion to make me do it. I looked at where I live, and who's reliant on me. Pretty simple after that. Take your proselytizing to some website where people care.

I'm sorry I had my hate deflector up... What were you saying?

Happy Jack is no narcissist..

On sept 12 they published this. Who knew PA was on the CDC must read list... I feel so proud to be out ahead of this.

ziu5j5.png

So Happy, how does that jive with your call for Obummer to DO MORE!

what about talking about it on the internets - huh? What about that!

So Happy, how does that jive with your call for Obummer to DO MORE!

So flash how does that jive with ebola will never be a problem here.

BTW my call was that the PUBLIC needs some education. Let me quote my prior post

"I think the public is not ready and the government should start educating us about how a disease outbreak will be contained. How quarantines work, how food and care will be distributed. A bit of public awareness might reduce the panic when the time comes. "

Are you aware that there has been a fair amount of controversy over the quarantine laws in the last few years.

Read section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264)

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/specificlawsregulations.html

Or that Hemorrhagic Fevers are one of 8 specifically listed diseases that qualify for quarantine?

mkvq5j.png

Look on the bright side, if you bought a few months-worth of dehydrated Simple Jack Survival Food, you can get a cook's gig on any number of offshore races.

Guest One of Five

Meh

Exactly -- Meh -- nothing to see here -- show'z over!

we're all doing our job!!

Move Along!!

Here is the WHO Fact Sheet on Ebola.

Not going to look at that until you assure me they copied it from a post of Hypocrisy Jack©. Hopefully, they left in the colored fonts and highlighting.

Not going to look at that until you assure me they copied it from a post of Hypocrisy Jack©. Hopefully, they left in the colored fonts and highlighting.

No crayon markings. Just some good information. New CDC information update yesterday: http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/s0914-ebola-surge.html

Guest One of Five

No crayon markings. Just some good information. New CDC information update yesterday: http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/s0914-ebola-surge.html

Did you actually read that? Or did you just post something in your usual drunken stupor?

The 9/17 update:

September 17, 2014 Outbreak Update
  • New cases have been reported from Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Nigeria and Senegal have not reported any new cases since September 5, 2014, and August 29, 2014, respectively.

Coming here? Nope, still not worried.