Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Jackson

2015 Moth AUS & World Championships (Jan 6th to 16th)

Nothing new from me. But I have seen three different types of bent booms so far and I have not left for Sorrento yet.

Z, V, and C shapes so far. One 10407248_10152578324036701_3981650445662

I expect some interesting rules discussions around 8.2 and sail below the bands. "The inside edges of these band define the limits to which the sail area may be set" being the relevant sentence ...
Looking through rule 8.2 and the relevant rules on sail measurement, I can't see any problem with the bent/z-booms but I guess there will certainly be some discussion as to whether the class wishes to close down the loopholes for the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the boys with raking rigs get on, and whether and of these systems can be simplified or automated to avoid the mass of string.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the boys with raking rigs get on, and whether and of these systems can be simplified or automated to avoid the mass of string.

This is James Own Smith's setup. The top guys all run canting rigs too it seems. I have also seen a lot of adjustable spreaders too.

10885185_10152996029036255_5487229115463

I just posted this on Facebook.

If you're a fan of live sailboat racing, now's the time to start pumping yourself up for our world-beating coverage of next week's Moth Worlds, an On-The-Water Anarchy/Perpetual Shit Show Production. Remember when we used to bring you our own brand of irreverant and fun live video, high-quality photos, daily writeups, highlight reels, wet t-shirt contests, and so on? Well, we're back, and this time, we've got the full all-star OTW Crew to go along with the most star-studded fleet in the history of the Moth Class. Petey Crawford on the HD reels, Sander Van Der Borch on the HQ photography, Ronnie Simpson on writing and live feed production, Nic Douglass and yours truly on the microphone, a pregnant Mer working the social angles from back home, and an army of local enthusiasts helping us get 'er done. All brought to you thanks entirely to a sponsor who may surprise all of you.

Don't expect to get a lot of work done from the 10th to the 16th. You'll find it all right here on the front page.

Who will find out first and post it here this sponsor of yours!?

I look forward to finding out. Is there a prize or something?

Thanks for coming.

Please be nice to the media setup I have organised! You want a media war! I think you might win thus I am here.

CNN are also going to be doing daily coverage apparently and we will have live tracking from Race Qs and the 170 phones we just brought!

I welcome you to Sorrento, but respect Beau and Thierry Martinez who we have given official 'moth association' coverage rights and our sponsors please!

There will be a big media room and I won't be in it but will drop by with a beer to check it out.

Cheers

No media wars! I'm american and I always bring a bigger gun and no one wants to see bloody media people on the ground with Clean-sized holes in 'em.

Seriously, everyone coming - Thierry, Shirley, Beau, and us are all on the same side, and it should be a blast. I'm so happy to be not working in an official capacity as I was last year, because that lets me focus on making sure the most people get to see the event, rather than worrying about class or official interests. reach is my specialty and our sponsor agrees 100%.

i'm guessing RJ1 that we have something special from them just for you. Big boxes en route.

And I just got drunk before going to the airport - drunk enough to drop 5500 dirhams on a business class upgrade. Shouldn't have done it, but happy as fuck I did. CANNOT WAIT TO WATCH SOME CRAZY CHAOS MOTHING!

Nothing new from me. But I have seen three different types of bent booms so far and I have not left for Sorrento yet.

Z, V, and C shapes so far. One 10407248_10152578324036701_3981650445662

I expect some interesting rules discussions around 8.2 and sail below the bands. "The inside edges of these band define the limits to which the sail area may be set" being the relevant sentence ...
Looking through rule 8.2 and the relevant rules on sail measurement, I can't see any problem with the bent/z-booms but I guess there will certainly be some discussion as to whether the class wishes to close down the loopholes for the future.

The issue isn't the boom. It's the sail that is set below the bottom band, but let's wait and see what happens at the regatta. I think it is awesome when people push rules like this.

The band on Chris' mast looks to be at the bottom of the sail, so its apparently quite legal. He must have a shortenned mast and a lower CoE and hence less capsize moment. All obvious advantages.

There were over 80 boats on the beach last night, and its looking very crowded. Hope to get a sail today as well as a good look around at the new inovations.

Big measurment day tomorrow.

Stevie Brewin has sailed his moth about 10 times. He decided to spend december getting his ACat to foil better, which seems to have worked as he won the two practice races but not so good on first race day, at Cootharabah. He is flying down to melbourne after the acats just in time for H1 of the worlds with zero time on his moth.

I'm calling North Sails as the mystery sponsor.

What do I win?

Ha! We'll tell you tonight on the front page.

had great meeting today with SSCBC folks and Elisha from Yachting Vic. Great folks, all very helpful and excited for this event. Also, Mark from the club toted us around to the mall and electronics shops to get burner phones and mobile wireless hotspots. Most importantly, we took a lap around the bay testing 4G signals, and were massively impressed. Should be few issues with broadcasting live 720p HD all day long. Woohoo!

Can't tell you how happy I am to be able to do this event live again, some of my best memories are shooting and commenting on this class. Only problem is the fucking fleet size means we won't be getting the best up-close stuff (at least during the live feed), but we'll keep it fun, that's for sure. We should be able to stick all the morning interviews into the feed when they are up at the top mark (since we can't chase much), and each race is going to be less than 30 minutes, I'd guess. So it should be pretty action packed, and not too long each day. Also we've got a couple of cocktail hours planned, fully live, taking questions from whoever is watching back home. Anyone got ideas for subjects?

Also we've got a couple of cocktail hours planned, fully live, taking questions from whoever is watching back home. Anyone got ideas for subjects?

Lots of!

FOILS

- How is new Amac high lift mainfoil?

- Now that all the top guys have at least 2 mainfoils, where is the tradeoff (waves, windspeed)? I understand in 10+ knots small foils are always faster in a straight line, but in a huge fleet like this probably things like having a high mode upwind, easyfoiltacking or easier boat handling at the starts matter more thank pure boatspeed

- do the best guys use only one rudder?

AERO

- What matters most upwind? lower center of effort in the mainsail? some form of mainsail endplating at deck level (see chris rast boat)? boat fairings?

- does anybody have a wingsail in their pipeline?

REGATTAS FORMAT

with numbers going up, are changes required? I'd love to do a worlds (2016 hopefully) with the best in the world, but will it be doable in the future? Japan 2016 probably will not have problems, Garda 2017 will be huge in participation numbers.

HOMEBUILDING

Most of the top guys have a production boat (Dave Lister is a nice outliar), and some of them seem to have some one-off elements. is this the way to go? should the class do something more to help homebuilders?

Anyone got ideas for subjects?

Can anyone else build a commercially successful Moth besides AMac? Wouldn't having some other builder be beneficial to the class?

Anyone got ideas for subjects?

Can anyone else build a commercially successful Moth besides AMac? Wouldn't having some other builder be beneficial to the class?

How are you forgetting Fastacraft...

New Prowler is out, and by god it's a piece of artwork, there's a stack of them over at the worlds, and they look to sail amazingly, while we had our worlds they we're out all the time, and looked really sharp!

Serious props to John Illett and what he's put together there! (And we'll let the results speak for them selves)

Sitting on the beach at the worlds reading forums about the worlds. I think I have a problem...

SW

You aren't the only one ... :-)

....justify your existence,don't leave it to Clean to tell us how your day went ;)

.....who's looking fast?

I've been out a couple of times since getting here, pretty much getting smoked, but I expected that.

Been doing some measurement, that has been something new for me and a bit of fun, the new scow's are nice boats.

Other than that just trying to keep cool and hydrated, and tinkering with my boat, almost more enjoyable than sailing it.

More to come later once I have been for a sail (most likely on the wrong course...)

Cheers

SW

2 fleets

Live tracking is happening apparently, don't have the link but RJ will know it.

Still pretty soft on the bay, some clouds offshore but not looking promising (in my "not a meteorologist" opinion)

SW

the tracking may be to 'count laps' for each boat which would be near impossible with fleets this size.

(e.g. all boats that complete 1 lap are counted as a finisher, but sorting the order within laps, and # of laps .....)

Correct GS.

Confidence is not all that high regarding...paper scoring at the ready just in case.

We spent the full day driving up the coast, shooting bogans at the beach and the beautiful houses and views of the bay enroute to Melbourne to go and bleed several thousand dollars on camera and streaming gear. And ya know what? With the strong dollar, it was cheaper than in the US by 25%!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Correct GS.

Confidence is not all that high regarding...paper scoring at the ready just in case.

We spent the full day driving up the coast, shooting bogans at the beach and the beautiful houses and views of the bay enroute to Melbourne to go and bleed several thousand dollars on camera and streaming gear. And ya know what? With the strong dollar, it was cheaper than in the US by 25%!

That would be why I could not find you before leaving today. Was going to say we should have a drink to catch up before I left!

Have fun and keep an eye on those boats with Liros, DeckHardware and PROtect Tapes on them for me ;-)

Clean:

All you missed was the international moth rigging and derigging competition.

Technologica won a high 5 from me for winning this race down our end of the beach. Probably the highlight of the day.

If you want to see some boats other than Mach 2's we have a nice collection at the portsea end of the beach (western end) including the new prowlers and the Franken prowlers, plus some other home builds.

Hope we can catch up at some point

Cheers

SW

Thought you would hang around Mel! Sorry to have missed you, looked like a good day to go shopping!

It's 100 days to go till the Sydney Sailboat Expo that I'm organising. No time to enjoy watching some sailing!

How are you forgetting Fastacraft...

New Prowler is out, and by god it's a piece of artwork, there's a stack of them over at the worlds, and they look to sail amazingly, while we had our worlds they we're out all the time, and looked really sharp!

Serious props to John Illett and what he's put together there! (And we'll let the results speak for them selves)

Haven't forgotten them, and maybe they, or one of the English boats, will be the ones to break through. But from following the fastercraft FB page they haven't exactly made very many yet? 4? 6?

Volume of sales is only one way to measure a successful design.

There are at least 2 or 3 old prowlers (5 years + this event, still strong as a bull.

The way John builds his boats I'd expect that the new boats here for this regatta could well show up at a worlds in 5 years time in good condition.

Not many bladeriders here at the worlds...

Cheers

SW

Well one good point is that all other builders make good boats,in some aspects superior to mach2, but Still they are small businesses,which sell basically to local customers and in small numbers. For instance I am probably the only Rocket owner in southern europe,and I don't believe any exocet has crossed the atlantic.

Still those boats are clearly fast and well made. And I bet the prowlers are at least as good

...it's showing to be on 'standby' previous to (allegedly) live coverage coming on..

........possibly just a test of new equipment ;)

This is going to be one hell of a great event! Hope clean can make coverage work......

Better get some more Jergan's and a couple of boxes of Kleenex, doug, remember to stay hydrated too, wouldn't want to cramp up mid way

Clean seems to be covering it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O51llMtr3tI

As usual no streaming on YT in Germany, the usual proxys don't work either. Does it work in the rest of the world?

tumblr_luznwwTqM11r3qz1no1_500.gif

That's much better!

Better get some more Jergan's and a couple of boxes of Kleenex, doug, remember to stay hydrated too, wouldn't want to cramp up mid way

...don't forget the pelican bib.......there might be some 'trickle down' here too :rolleyes:

Racing doesn't start for two days

Today, we are messing around with the new toys and getting some interview footage. Plus we are setting up our live talk shows (lay day, and post-regatta).

Loick will not be a factor at the top of the fleet, but he is always working hard and always smiling. Tried to find him today but missed him again.

Loick will not be a factor at the top of the fleet, but he is always working hard and always smiling. Tried to find him today but missed him again.

...very cool he's playing the game!

.....how are conditions today?

not happening today, light as. Just sent everybody out, breeze faded, they're all getting dragged back in......again.

...very cool he's playing the game!

.....how are conditions today?

Latest tweet says they are done for the day and no breeze. Sitting on the shore yesterday it was absolutely boiling hot a total glass out. Just no breeze at all.

No racing today. Fleet almost done being towed back in. No breeze, though one of the models shows 40 knots nearby and we're expecting some potentially severe weather tonight.

2-day Australian Nationals is now a no-go, with no races run on Wednesday or Thursday. Forecast looks right for a good pre-worlds day of sailing tomorrow, and the official line is that the top Australian in the Worlds will be claimed Aussie National Champ.

Facebook says there's breeze and they're about to start.

The folks updating Facebook are nice people, but you can trust our guys; we have two world champions (Tasar, Melges 32) a Medcup winner, and a singlehanded Transpac class winner on our media team ;)

While we're waiting for wind and racing, any news on the McDougall + McConaghy intro (cheaper) moth? I saw posts a while back that one might be at the Worlds...

very interesting fleet of boats on display in Sorrento. Clean and I caught up with a father/ son duo from Victoria who are sailing 30-year old non-foiling boats, and checked out several of the vintage boats in the fleet.

post-33894-0-78005000-1420729285_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-86908800-1420729315_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-32596400-1420729352_thumb.jpg

not much breeze the last two days. fleet sailed out to the race course, the breeze died and they sailed/ got towed/ limped/ swam/ walked back to the beach multiple times... fascinating to watch the customization in boat set-ups and optimization, which is overwhelmingly focused on aerodynamic optimization. incredibly interesting to listen to guys like Tom Slingsby and Nathan Outteridge discuss boat set up and theory..... Old Prowler next to new Prowler. Again, just like above, fascinating and quite educational to see how the boats have constantly been modified and have evolved in search of small fractions of a percent of aerodynamic and other performance gains..... Speaking of highly optimized boats, Nathan's boat is, unsurprisngly looking the business in Sorrento. Nathan gave me a very gracious interview and run-down of his boat set-up and the modifications that he's made to this boat since Kaneohe and winning the worlds last year. Again, fascinating to witness the constant optimization and development of these boats. Foils, bent boom, fairings, canting rig, hull mods.... lot of moth's on the beach....

post-33894-0-53960100-1420729931_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-68565000-1420729953_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-76325700-1420729985_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-18886100-1420730016_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-11725200-1420730042_thumb.jpg

super-light breeze back to the beach.... Dave Loring, former Sunfish World champ (or 2?), and an ultra nice guy from South Carolina. Great to see a strong American contingent here in Sorrento and can't wait to see some regular guys mix it up with the big guns... Something like 13 or 14 different nations represented here in Sorrento...

post-33894-0-09106700-1420730738_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-27799100-1420730798_thumb.jpg

post-33894-0-18266500-1420730816_thumb.jpg

While we're waiting for wind and racing, any news on the McDougall + McConaghy intro (cheaper) moth? I saw posts a while back that one might be at the Worlds...

To my knowledge, there is not a 'Wasp', or intro moth here. I will get more definitive info tomorrow and post back, it's an interesting and highly appealing proposition. Total speculation that i've heard here on the beach is that it's a more simple boat with aluminum foils, a price tag around $10k and a more regulated, or even one-design format.

they said 9 i thought.

australia, austria, italy, france, england, switz, sweden, denmark, new zealand, japan

is that it?

By my count on the entry list, I am counting 14 from the following countries. Listed by order of entry received. More data analysis, by-the-numbers kind of stuff (entries by country, pros/ amateurs, boat types, AC teams, that kinda stuff soon)

Australia

Japan

Denmark

Great Britain

Italy

Switzerland

USA

South Africa

New Zealand

Austria

Hong Kong

France

Ireland

Sweden

Ronnie, while you're doing research on the "Wasp", can you look into Rohan's loaner boat too? A Mach2 with a bowsprit like the Rocket, is that a sign of things to come?

All of Nathan's careful prep and he leaves the nose cone off?

...nose cone?

....fun to hear Veal's in....I bet he wishes there was some breeze in these practice days!

AMAC shouted himself a new Mach2 and is lending his old one to Rohan. Rohan has no wind to get on form but AMAC said he was quickly up to pace a few weeks back when he was talking him into entering. I heard the experimental bowsprit got broken.

Wasp will be a few more months away, its just taking time to get right, and they have been very busy getting Mach2s out of the factory for this regatta.

Change of weather today, cool, raining but there is definately some wind early this morning. Its looking almost English, I might have to retract what I said about Hayling in July.

Any info on Nathan's horizontal main foils?

I saw a pic yesterday and they have tubercles (sp)? Very interesting shape, was not straight edged at all. Also, different shapes for dif winds?

Can you swap foils between races?

Yep wasp is far from ready. Hoping to have it on show at the Sydney Sailboat Expo as they are exhibiting with two boats ;-)

I saw a pic yesterday and they have tubercles (sp)? Very interesting shape, was not straight edged at all. Also, different shapes for dif winds?

Nathan's foils were noticeably absent and covered up within about .001 seconds of him getting back to the beach. As are a few of the top guys'...

I am by no means an expert on the rule book, but was told that you can swap foils from day-to-day, but once you choose foils for that day, you are stuck with them.

SI's says you can't change on the water (i.e. capsize the boat and grab foils from a rib). Doesn't say you can't sail to the beach and change. Not sure how possible that would be with the Sorrento setup.

What Photo?

I guess Nathan may be using Amac's new high lift foil (https://www.kasail.com/mach2/view/912). I would love to hear some comments on it by some top guys, since it's no "secret"

Foil can be swapped only on the beach (as in Hayling, it's in the sailing instructions)

Nathan's foils were noticeably absent and covered up within about .001 seconds of him getting back to the beach. As are a few of the top guys'...

I am by no means an expert on the rule book, but was told that you can swap foils from day-to-day, but once you choose foils for that day, you are stuck with them.

Here's a shot from beaupost-16558-0-77262900-1420752477_thumb.jpg

What Photo?

I guess Nathan may be using Amac's new high lift foil (https://www.kasail.com/mach2/view/912). I would love to hear some comments on it by some top guys, since it's no "secret"

Foil can be swapped only on the beach (as in Hayling, it's in the sailing instructions)

i'll ask around and get some feedback for you. thanks for the scoop.

The class regatta rule bans chaning foils on the water. Voted in at Hawaii WC. Most mothies want to equalise opportunity with the pro sailors who have coach and chase boats. There are not many of these yet and we do not want the situation of everyone needing a chase boat with a quiver of foil options all waiting out on the course. We already have limited venues who can cope with 160 moths and do not want 160 RIBs as well.

Also he doesn't have the trailing edge fairings on the wingbars he had on his previous boat.

Also he doesn't have the trailing edge fairings on the wingbars he had on his previous boat.

there is a lot of talk amongst the fleet and the media that several 'details' of the top boats won't be revealed until day 1 of the worlds tomorrow, including certain fairings, sails and more.

Here's a shot from beauattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Not nathan's foil

Here's a shot from beauattachicon.gifpost-16558-0-77262900-1420752477_thumb.j

...thats crazy-nice...........some Bieker design work?....or whom?