• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Jackson

2015 Moth AUS & World Championships (Jan 6th to 16th)

How important is the hull pitch in big breeze? When the hull/tramp gets winded up/down in a puff does it mess with the balance and slow you down?

Nathan O. was talking about a mark he had on his vertical sections which he keeps an eye on to keep the boat pitch "balanced".

Quite important I think. When I tore a lacing guide on my BR tramp and it went a bit loose, it ballooned up/down depending on pitch. Definitely slows you down upwind. I'm not convinced by these full span 'aero' M2 tramps, the smaller ones like on Dave Lister's/Luka Damic's boat seem like a much more intelligent configuration.

Imagine the windage on the leward tramp poking up as you heal to windward going up wind. I'd say there's an appreciable difference going much smaller, with faired wing bars.

The effect of the aero stuff is somewhat overrated. It matters at the extreme margins, but one slightly fluffed tack and you've lost any benefit. Small "g–string" tramps have been tried a lot, again, not sufficient advantage for everyone to be convinced one way or the other. Same with netting of all sizes, there are pros and cons.

Trailing edge aero fittings on narrow round tubes have to be the least beneficial of all.

The great thing with a development class is you get to try every crazy idea, and they get recycled every few years. What works (adjustable wands, dials, rudders) stick, the stuff that doesn't, doesn't.

Ultimately, People can sail with what makes them feel comfortable, whether it's really faster or not. It's all in the mind, you know.

Clean, you haven't fixed the front page yet, see #364.

Yea, and banging the start and getting a clear lane. Fleet spread on that start was something else. Some guys wailing and the rest getting bad air or just not dialed in yet.

Clean, you do need more cameras. desperately. you need a boat at the bottom and the top so you can have some semlbence to a consistent race coverage... Onboard camera and Kattack (or equivalent) so that we can all tell WTF is going on out there... love teh coverage but...

yay,,,it's sailorgirl!

...love the aussie'bogans! :wub:

way to out yourself...

mustang_1 that would increase our budget by at least 10 fold. doing what we can with what we got.

that would require more boats, resources and real tv equipment. we're doing this with a laptop, a camera, a boat and a 4g cell-tower router

.. the right attitude. Right on you SA guys.

Clean, you do need more cameras. desperately. you need a boat at the bottom and the top so you can have some semlbence to a consistent race coverage... Onboard camera and Kattack (or equivalent) so that we can all tell WTF is going on out there... love teh coverage but...

yay,,,it's sailorgirl!

way to out yourself...

mustang_1 that would increase our budget by at least 10 fold. doing what we can with what we got.

that would require more boats, resources and real tv equipment. we're doing this with a laptop, a camera, a boat and a 4g cell-tower router

.. the right attitude. Right on you SA guys.

...it's be lovely to have a gyrocopter there :rolleyes:

How important is the hull pitch in big breeze? When the hull/tramp gets winded up/down in a puff does it mess with the balance and slow you down?

Nathan O. was talking about a mark he had on his vertical sections which he keeps an eye on to keep the boat pitch "balanced".

Quite important I think. When I tore a lacing guide on my BR tramp and it went a bit loose, it ballooned up/down depending on pitch. Definitely slows you down upwind. I'm not convinced by these full span 'aero' M2 tramps, the smaller ones like on Dave Lister's/Luka Damic's boat seem like a much more intelligent configuration.

Imagine the windage on the leward tramp poking up as you heal to windward going up wind. I'd say there's an appreciable difference going much smaller, with faired wing bars.

The effect of the aero stuff is somewhat overrated. It matters at the extreme margins, but one slightly fluffed tack and you've lost any benefit. Small "g–string" tramps have been tried a lot, again, not sufficient advantage for everyone to be convinced one way or the other. Same with netting of all sizes, there are pros and cons.

Trailing edge aero fittings on narrow round tubes have to be the least beneficial of all.

The great thing with a development class is you get to try every crazy idea, and they get recycled every few years. What works (adjustable wands, dials, rudders) stick, the stuff that doesn't, doesn't.

Ultimately, People can sail with what makes them feel comfortable, whether it's really faster or not. It's all in the mind, you know.

Clean, you haven't fixed the front page yet, see #364.

Correct, but hey, it's a development class and this kind of thing is fun to talk about.

hey, it's a development class and this kind of thing is fun to talk about.

...it's wonderful to see sailors of this caliber in boats that they can go tinker-crazy.

...also good that Amac's got the OD coming along,it'll make things less intimidating for mortals

These Moths have potential other than racing.....world touring spectator/racing events as in surfing,skating,BMX,Motocross,snow board...etc

It is fascinating that the lowly Moth class is now the hotbed of foiling for the sailing masses....

The first time I ever planed in a sailboat was in a Moth on the Tamsui river in Tiawan late 50's....

yay,,,it's sailorgirl!

way to out yourself...

Director/Commentator Alan Blockhead...it doesn't matter that this banner means you can't see the boats....

Typical clean otw bullshit...promise the world going in and then under perform during the event...blame the cameras, bandwidth, boat operators, the unpaid help, oh and the race com doesn't have cleans experience even tho he doesn't know who he is, and shouldn't have started that race..but swing the camera on me so that I,I, I can er, er, er tell everyone how much I know about this shit.....it really really doesn't matter that I can't tell you who finished 2,3 4 or 5th in the race because it's too hard to tell...

He doesn't know who is on which boat or when the race is starting, which is totally lame because knowing the top twenty guys is just part of a commentators job but he was too busy inhaling the free drinks and bullshitting with his bros...

He's the oldest dude in the place but believes anyone one day older than him doesn't belong in sailing...oh I forgot about David Loring but he's always been cool....

Apart from him, Ronnie and Petey are doing a good job, and check out the Moth site regatta vids...they are really good, but then they have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend ......but we will be up until midnight editing this shit....bla, bla....

...^^...yah,well,'ro' tell us how you feel!

...consider the live stuff as 4 hours of raw feed that makes an excellent 10min highlight reel like this...

...more good bits on facebook,,membership not required ;)

Wow, Clean SUCKS at holding the video camera. Give it back to the teenager our the Aussie chick. Clean it's looks like you are jerking off with one hand and videoing with the other. That Aussie chick is Gold keep her around she actually u deist ands what's going on.

I've just sat through the live video. Guys if you are taking money off sponsors I have a feeling they it will never pay out again due to pathetic commentating and production. If you're going to have a chat to someone else on the boat for f*# cks sake turn the bloody microphone off. Also learn the sail numbers of the top guys. Running a load of bullshit about the winning boat then finding out its somebody else is a bit sad. Giving the camera to some kid?? who doesn't have a clue whats going on is fairly average as well.

The only one who seems to have any knowledge is the blonde chick who at least had something constructive to say and sounded like she knew what she was talking about.

Piss poor presentation/camera work/ knowledge - Time for SA to get it's shit together or don't do attempt to do stuff you obviously know nothing about.

Agreed, great commentary from the sailor girl, but after that the coverage is totally unwatchable. The camera work is a total joke. Out of focus, pointing the wrong way, and constantly jerking left and right. Gave me a headache after 5 minutes so I stopped watching. I've seen much better video from GoPros stuck on hats.

Na on the 42 " lcd its good.

Great stuff. Clean its freezing back in Mi.17F, just stay there till spring, lol. Her recap of a start was ammazing. She's a keeper for the SA Team! That shot of the leaders smoking the scows, loved it!

anyone know who is sailing my old boat these days? (can't see sail number on entry list though) Assume Tim has upgraded?

super-light breeze back to the beach.... Dave Loring, former Sunfish World champ (or 2?), and an ultra nice guy from South Carolina. Great to see a strong American contingent here in Sorrento and can't wait to see some regular guys mix it up with the big guns... Something like 13 or 14 different nations represented here in Sorrento...

....looking forward to seeing the results. 5 of 7 scored already.... http://www.sscbc.bvit.com.au/site/yachting/event/65411/overall_2.html?Tkn=16363

...some snips from the SI's on scoring. I'm surprised that there wasn't some rotation between groups in the prelims...or was there? http://www.mothworlds.org/sorrento/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/221214_Moth-Worlds-Sailing-Instructions.pdf
Scoring.... a boat’s series score
for the regatta will be the total of her race
scores from those qualifying races completed
by all fleets and her Finals Series races.
15.6.3 When six to eight races have been completed,
a boat’s series score will be the total of her
race scores excluding her two worst scores.
15.7 A boat’s Qualifying Series races will be taken
forward into the Finals Series. Worst scores
excluded from the Qualifying Series races will
not change.
15.8.1 When fewer than four races have been
completed in the Finals Series, a boat’s series
score will be the total of her race scores, with
no additional exclusions.
......looking at 5 race preliminary scoring...there might be some gals in gold fleet....that's HOT!! :rolleyes:
...I'm surprised that a few americans who were down for Tasar worlds didn't do the double play!...Rene---,,,Bosc--o,,Kar--? :huh:

Clean here is the drawing you add the information:

upsss how do i add an image ?

Clean here is the drawing you add the information:

upsss how do i add an image ?

copy url then past after [img=

then add another bracket

....looking forward to seeing the results. 5 of 7 scored already.... http://www.sscbc.bvit.com.au/site/yachting/event/65411/overall_2.html?Tkn=16363

...some snips from the SI's on scoring. I'm surprised that there wasn't some rotation between groups in the prelims...or was there? http://www.mothworlds.org/sorrento/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/221214_Moth-Worlds-Sailing-Instructions.pdf
Scoring.... a boat’s series score
for the regatta will be the total of her race
scores from those qualifying races completed
by all fleets and her Finals Series races.
15.6.3 When six to eight races have been completed,
a boat’s series score will be the total of her
race scores excluding her two worst scores.
15.7 A boat’s Qualifying Series races will be taken
forward into the Finals Series. Worst scores
excluded from the Qualifying Series races will
not change.
15.8.1 When fewer than four races have been
completed in the Finals Series, a boat’s series
score will be the total of her race scores, with
no additional exclusions.
......looking at 5 race preliminary scoring...there might be some gals in gold fleet....that's HOT!! :rolleyes:
...I'm surprised that a few americans who were down for Tasar worlds didn't do the double play!...Rene---,,,Bosc--o,,Kar--? :huh:

Too much of a cross over I think :) I missed day one for transit.

yay,,,it's sailorgirl!

Thanks Couchsurfer :)

....wanna see you get a camera for your own show...surely Clean's paying you enough!

Too much of a cross over I think :) I missed day one for transit.

...yes,,it would have been a toughy.

...congrats on your finish!

10922809_894148470617360_469100149238530

This image on Instagram was credited to Sailing Anarchy - another great shot by Sander :)

Go, Pete Burling. Two from 2.

He looks super smooth in the breezy stuff.

This image on Instagram was credited to Sailing Anarchy - another great shot by Sander :)

>Go, Pete Burling. Two from 2.

He seems to have blistering speed downhill with his set-up today.

I'm surprised that there wasn't some rotation between groups in the prelims...or was there?

...oops,,noticed there indeed was a rotation between fleets.

I've just sat through the live video. Guys if you are taking money off sponsors I have a feeling they it will never pay out again due to pathetic commentating and production. If you're going to have a chat to someone else on the boat for f*# cks sake turn the bloody microphone off. Also learn the sail numbers of the top guys. Running a load of bullshit about the winning boat then finding out its somebody else is a bit sad. Giving the camera to some kid?? who doesn't have a clue whats going on is fairly average as well.

The only one who seems to have any knowledge is the blonde chick who at least had something constructive to say and sounded like she knew what she was talking about.

Piss poor presentation/camera work/ knowledge - Time for SA to get it's shit together or don't do attempt to do stuff you obviously know nothing about.

You sat through the live video. That is awesome! Thank you!

As for the rest...huh?

Happy to put on the Schweim lens or spring for the cineflex 4-axis whenever I can raise 250k for the Moth Worlds. Until then, it's this or nothing - so again, thanks for watching.

>Go, Pete Burling. Two f

rom 2.

He was monstering it, particularly the downwinds. Will be interesting to see what plays out tomorrow with gold and silver fleets, and a very different forecast.

You sat through the live video. That is awesome! Thank you!

As for the rest...huh?

Happy to put on the Schweim lens or spring for the cineflex 4-axis whenever I can raise 250k for the Moth Worlds. Until then, it's this or nothing - so again, thanks for watching.

Looked fucking awesome to me, CLEAN. Keep it up.

Nice work from, Nic too. Actually she's a better camera operator than you and her commentary was great too. She's also a lot better looking!!

...scores in for 6 races....two women likely for gold fleet!..... Annalise Murphy and Samantha England http://www.sscbc.bvit.com.au/site/yachting/event/65411/overall_2.html?Tkn=16363

..it looks like 79 boats is the cut off....

4.3 Finals Series:
4.3.1 Boats will be assigned to Finals Series fleets
Gold and Silver on the basis of their rank at
the end of the Qualifying Series, with 50%
assigned to the Gold Fleet, rounded up if there
is an uneven number of boats. Boats with the
best Qualifying Series ranks will race in the
Gold fleet, boats with the next best Qualifying
Series ranks will race in the Silver fleet. Boats
with unbroken ties at the division point will be
included in the Gold Fleet

The GF gets in a hissy fit over me "glued to fucking computer" watching Moth Worlds. Me say? When last time you saw drag racing like that? We spar, she wins, I have to watch last half of today for breakfast tomm.

Keep it up guys/girl - this is cool stuff. Thx.

The GF gets in a hissy fit over me "glued to fucking computer" watching Moth Worlds. Me say? When last time you saw drag racing like that? We spar, she wins, I have to watch last half of today for breakfast tomm.

Keep it up guys/girl - this is cool stuff. Thx.

Tell me about it! Still, it's worth the agro.

To all of the haters out there, it's pretty difficult given the conditions and equipment, (not to mention the tiny little boats with tiny little sail numbers that all look the same and go really fast) to do any better. We're trying our best. If you don't like it, feel free to go watch the other Moth Worlds feed...

To the fans, thanks again for all of your support and great feedback during the coverage. I'm down below running the production end of things and constantly monitoring Facebook, Twitter, Youtube comments and of course the SA forums. Let us know how we can get better, post up questions, feedback and anything else you'd like us to address or answer live on the air. Thanks again for watching, this is fun stuff!!!

ok Clean. Time to get to work on the crashes photo album! I am sure there are heaps from today! You know we all want it ;-)

so know... you add the insight of sails and booms... is it for connivance only(under the boom tacking/jibing)? (Bend I) or better shaping(Bend II) or extra sail area?

and canting rigs....

....the tally is in...... http://www.sscbc.bvit.com.au/site/yachting/event/65411/overall_2.html?Tkn=16363

...some would say that carrying that much weight from the qualifiers can be a heavy burden,,,especially with some of the wildcard situations that can happen in the open fleet. :mellow:

so know... you add the insight of sails and booms... is it for connivance only(under the boom tacking/jibing)? (Bend I) or better shaping(Bend II) or extra sail area?

and canting rigs....

Sail area is limited to 8.25 metres. Smaller is faster upwind in breeze, but slower downwind and overall so everyone has max sail area and flattens it upwind.

>

>Go, Pete Burling. Two from 2.

>

He was monstering it, particularly the downwinds. Will be interesting to see what plays out tomorrow with gold and silver fleets, and a very different forecast.

That he is running a pretty stock boat must be one hell of a mind fuck to the other guys today... (Didn't see the foils though.. Ahem..)

In the live footage there was a short shakey shot of him ripping downwind at one stage.

Early days though, go Peter Burling!

big thumbs up on the coverage and a big f you to all the naysayers. live coverage of the race is excellent and means it will get better with increasing sponsorship. Now to work on making it to Japan for the next one.

Tomorrow looking lighter and more easterly; if it's sunny early it will go a bit right and get strong again. If not, more like 12 knots and shifty. That's the local knowledge anyway.

One protest, between two of the least likely to find in a protest room. Glenn Ashby wins and Jonny Goldsberry gets tossed.

big thumbs up on the coverage and a big f you to all the naysayers. live coverage of the race is excellent and means it will get better with increasing sponsorship. Now to work on making it to Japan for the next one.

Thanks Punchy. I sure hope we can get there too.

anyone know who is sailing my old boat these days? (can't see sail number on entry list though) Assume Tim has upgraded?

It's Jordan Girdis. Both he and Tim are staying with us. Tim is now sailing a Monstro like me.

Thanks Punchy. I sure hope we can get there too.

I sure appreciate the coverage-especially Nic! The effort that you all have made to make it possible for many of us to see the action is just outstanding-thanks!

....^^....GREAT vid....a highlight reel for the Sperry crew to compete with! :);)

........''the windiest day since the last day of Garda''...there's some perspective. I had no idea,,thought those breezes were customary,,,I guess I see moths in the gorge,thought it was the norm! :mellow:

That he is running a pretty stock boat must be one hell of a mind fuck to the other guys today... (Didn't see the foils though.. Ahem..)
In the live footage there was a short shakey shot of him ripping downwind at one stage.
Early days though, go Peter Burling!

....hikes pretty well too!...

yandy121390.jpg

Peter Burling (NZL) (left) and Tom Slingsby (AUS) on day 2 of the 2015 McDougall McConaghy International Moth

......I'm surprised sailors go to such an extent over aero issues,,,but have such boxy shapes for hulls...I can't imagine that's the best shape for low-riding either.....is there something in the rules that pushes shapes this way??...........or do the hulls become effective 'sail area'? :huh:

I know how hard it is to get live coverage done, the 49er class has had plenty of problems with just the small bits they have done. I think these guys are doing a good job, for sure the camera work could be a bit better. You just need a body mount (just a cheap one) and then stick to one thing a bit more. Its very all over the place and can be really confusing.

Its great to have live coverage, I am pulling my hair out missing the regatta but just can not stop myself from watching it.

...a snip from the Y&Y coverage.... http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/180875/Moth-Worlds-at-Sorrento-day-2

Not so lucky was 2008 Olympic Tornado silver medallist and multiple multihull world champion Glenn Ashby (AUS). The Emirates Team NZ wing trimmer suffered extensive damage after a crash with one of the American boats in Race 6, dropping him down the board and cutting him out of Race 7, for which he will ask for redress.

"Lucky I'm a Sailmaker, so I can fix that, but I've got a broken foil and bow damage that will take a bit of fixing. Apart from that, it was a tough and bumpy old day, but awesome sailing."

...points out what I mean by saying that some would say that carrying that much weight from the qualifiers can be a heavy burden,,,especially with some of the wildcard situations that can happen in the open fleet. In this case Glenn will make it back to gold fleet IF he can get through his new worklist,,but sometimes these situations can destroy a regatta. I expect there'll soon be qualifiers for moth worlds, rather than it remaining an open event.

....flight control,,we have....touchdown! :) .....

1555267_10155064173025375_76581386409318

......I'm surprised sailors go to such an extent over aero issues,,,but have such boxy shapes for hulls...I can't imagine that's the best shape for low-riding either.....is there something in the rules that pushes shapes this way??...........or do the hulls become effective 'sail area'? :huh:

Mach2 is "boxy", I believe, to have a planing surface in the bottom, which provides some lift for taking off.

Brits boat are totally different, with rounder hulls and significant rocker. They are for sure faster when lowriding and especially "semifoiling" (at least I can say it for the Rocket), and probably, as you say, more clean aerodinamically. just look at at exocet hull lines, for example https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10847433_588972017899439_456307811343859997_o.jpg

...Clean...me's looking forward to the Sperry highlight reel. ;)

...a couple of followups.......

...what happened for Freddie Loof?

...a profile on Samantha England ,,,the other gal in gold fleet....it's an epic story of these two gals that made it through yesterday's conditions!

Mach2 is "boxy", I believe, to have a planing surface in the bottom, which provides some lift for taking off.

Brits boat are totally different, with rounder hulls and significant rocker. They are for sure faster when lowriding and especially "semifoiling" (at least I can say it for the Rocket), and probably, as you say, more clean aerodinamically. just look at at exocet hull lines, for example https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10847433_588972017899439_456307811343859997_o.jpg

....interesting....different philosophies of approach.

...it's too bad the yellow peril, full aero hull by Chris Maas was sailed by such an old guy in Hawaii....it'd be good to see how it stacks up if given half a chance! :rolleyes:

1382021_648094198556123_1329713433_n.jpg

1379682_646106805421529_917191175_n.jpg?

.....^^...pics of Chris Maas and his boat in Hawaii.

Yesterday put a new spin on pitchpoling for me. Those rocketships are twitchy as all hell. Wanna see some of the blood & bruises ya rack up from getting clotheslined by the spreaders doing 20-25 knts.

I forgot, Thanks for the coverage! to put it in perspective, I spent the last couple of nights here in Italy (from 3 am to 5am) with my laptop on, to follow the action :D

Iagree that you should try to move less the camera, if possible. It's not only the stabilization, but also the fact that you are tryingto change the target a lot of times in few seconds.

Thanks again,

Michele

Check this out from, Beau's highlights reel.

Anyone have an idea of possible speed at impact? Maybe 25knts or so?

post-76289-0-98037600-1421002596_thumb.png

Nice work, IIRC about 250 viewers in the stream.

Starting at 3am is a bit unfortunate as far as Europe is concerned.

The video work needs a bit more direction. Decide what you want to show and then stick to it.

Quick pans are always a problem. So decide if you want to follow someone after a mark or if you want to show the carnage zone. Both at the same time did not work out.

An illustration from the top mark. The best part was IIRC where Clean decided a few seconds in advance what to do. Show the approach, then follow the lead group, then back to the mark. Unfortunately it devolved really quick after that into showing everything at once. Carnage at the mark and zoomed in follow shots don't mix if you only have one camera. Esp. if you moved the boat in the meantime away from the carnage zone chasing moths...

Assorted video notes.

Level horizon. :D

You are using manual exposure, so a bit more attention on that. (Or more calls from below.)

While bobbing around keep large boat parts out of the picture! Instant seasick cam even if you hold the horizon perfectly steady.

While panning, zoom out a bit. Esp. when you are zoomed in a lot.

Smooth zoom operation is better, less tapping. (Somebody show Charlie that part of the recording, he'll notice the problem himself.)

Tape a tactile cue to the backside of the microphone grip, so that Mr.Clean doesn't need to look down every 2 minutes. ;)

Maybe the biggest one: Unless you are in flat water keep the boat out of the picture. It makes huge difference. If you bob around too much do the talking heads against the boat interior. A nice backdrop does not help if your audience gets seasick. Probably let Rob call that decision.

Hm... Or get sponsorship by a pharmaceutical company. :ph34r:

Yesterday put a new spin on pitchpoling for me. Those rocketships are twitchy as all hell. Wanna see some of the blood & bruises ya rack up from getting clotheslined by the spreaders doing 20-25 knts.

Depending on the amount of injuries, maybe a new question for the interviews at the end of the event. "Should the next worlds employ Cutmen?"

It's pretty rare that you hurt yourself like that in a moth. The worst that tends to happen is that as you pitchpole you hit the water so hard you get whiplash. then the next day you feel like Bruce Lee kicked you in the ribs ten times.

You don't tend to hit the shrouds. You tend to swing body first and skim like a stone, as per Koutoun at 1.55 in the day 2 video.

Ironically, I have given myself a classic black eye whilst mid-gybe on flat water when the front foil ventilated and I head butted the mainsheet block on the boom. Idiot.

I think the point about Burling having stock kit is bob on, goodie says "he wishes he hasn't changed" the stuff on his boat and that's probably the sum of it all, you just need to focus on the sailling! There is a chance burling has different foils on as he was thought to have some special ones on at Hawaii. Then again, look how fecking far out of his boat he is hiking in that pic next to slingsby. That's about half a knot right there!

The coverage is great for what it is. Fundamentally it is applying the wrong tool to the problem though. 30 sec after the start you are too far away to film anything interesting and fundamentally lacking in knowledge of how the race is developing. Same problem sailing has always faced when it comes to live coverage.

Interestingly, some omniscient-style tracking coverage has been done in Moths, without the camera. It cost about 5k USD then. If you want to see Nathan Outteridge completely outclass everyone upwind, or figure out why and how ANY sailor in the fleet is losing time against the leaders, this is the tool:

http://www.tractrac.com/index.php?page=eventpage&id=92

Mixing live GPS tracking with interviews on shore would be the best way to cover events like this. Live unedited stuff is pretty low yield.

SA should partner with other regatta sponsors and the IMCA to provide tracking coverage if the goal is to shed real-time light on the races as they happen.

Happy New Year to All

Cutman

Perpetual sh't show productions is the name of the game. So someone has to keep stirring by reading a bit too much into one of the recent injuries and the discussion about limiting shroud sizes. Also a play on Cleans favorite VOR comment ending. "This is dangerous stuff."

That said, if you really think about Cutmen in sailing you are doing something wrong.

Tracking

Yes, some form of live tracking would certainly help.

They have a full setup on site which does not work. Clean did not say which one.

TracTrac was part of the proposal, did they switch?

I know how hard it is to get live coverage done, the 49er class has had plenty of problems with just the small bits they have done. I think these guys are doing a good job, for sure the camera work could be a bit better. You just need a body mount (just a cheap one) and then stick to one thing a bit more. Its very all over the place and can be really confusing.

Its great to have live coverage, I am pulling my hair out missing the regatta but just can not stop myself from watching it.

Yeah, same here. Thanks for the effort guys, well appreciated.

Tracking

Yes, some form of live tracking would certainly help.

They have a full setup on site which does not work. Clean did not say which one.

TracTrac was part of the proposal, did they switch?

I believe it was supposed to be done by a local, the same guys doing the results package, but it looks like a fail.

Nice work, IIRC about 250 viewers in the stream.

Starting at 3am is a bit unfortunate as far as Europe is concerned.

The video work needs a bit more direction. Decide what you want to show and then stick to it.

Quick pans are always a problem. So decide if you want to follow someone after a mark or if you want to show the carnage zone. Both at the same time did not work out.

An illustration from the top mark. The best part was IIRC where Clean decided a few seconds in advance what to do. Show the approach, then follow the lead group, then back to the mark. Unfortunately it devolved really quick after that into showing everything at once. Carnage at the mark and zoomed in follow shots don't mix if you only have one camera. Esp. if you moved the boat in the meantime away from the carnage zone chasing moths...

Assorted video notes.

Level horizon. :D

You are using manual exposure, so a bit more attention on that. (Or more calls from below.)

While bobbing around keep large boat parts out of the picture! Instant seasick cam even if you hold the horizon perfectly steady.

While panning, zoom out a bit. Esp. when you are zoomed in a lot.

Smooth zoom operation is better, less tapping. (Somebody show Charlie that part of the recording, he'll notice the problem himself.)

Tape a tactile cue to the backside of the microphone grip, so that Mr.Clean doesn't need to look down every 2 minutes. ;)

Maybe the biggest one: Unless you are in flat water keep the boat out of the picture. It makes huge difference. If you bob around too much do the talking heads against the boat interior. A nice backdrop does not help if your audience gets seasick. Probably let Rob call that decision.

Hm... Or get sponsorship by a pharmaceutical company. :ph34r:

Thanks!

SA should partner with other regatta sponsors and the IMCA to provide tracking coverage if the goal is to shed real-time light on the races as they happen.

Happy New Year to All

And then there is the real world, where, until we put the whole system together, it won't get done. The good news is that we are working on it, hard, and the answer is not quite what you're thinking.

It's one of the major things that we were forced to abandon when the lawyers started sucking up all the revenue, and the tech involved is now 100% different. Another year will make a huge difference.

I really appreciate the live coverage as well and when it goes blurry for a minute, I just take a break, check something else out and come back in a minute or two.

It seems like one of the bigger issues is the powerboat driving. A lot of spins putting the bow towards the action, blocking the camera.

Clean, maybe we can all put our money where our mouths are and chip in to help you give us the better coverage. A GoFundMe type account to raise funds for a handheld gimbal...etc. http://www.dji.com/product/ronin Maybe we could plan in advance well before the Japan worlds next year.