Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Jackson

2015 Moth AUS & World Championships (Jan 6th to 16th)

you should just be presenting it as–is.

That's not why we are here. Are you paying for this?

What specifically has she not done?

She has not said anything publicly about running over bora.

It would be SO EASY and so inexpensive to simply accept responsibility along with the club and say so, even if she had to pay for itout of her own pocket. But instead, old media goes head into sand.

I'd just write the fucking check, and I get paid a lot less than shirley.

Clean, the interview with Peter Osborne was terrific, he made a mockery of your "over 50's" ageist jibe. I'll take your putting it to air as your apology.

I wish we had more ex navy commanders to run regattas

there are plenty of constraints on how people can/cannot respond due to work/insurance etc.

This is exactly the problem.

That's a bit harsh Clean, some people have to make a living / pay for shit on their boats by working for the man. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

1. Shirley was not driving the boat

2. Clean was warned by the org about 'media wars'

3. Sensationalism sells, block is trying to rev it up

He doesn't have anything to sell GS. He told us he's not in it for the money & that providing good content to lift readership to sell advertising is NOT the model.

Costs?

A new stock Mach2 is about $US25K or $A30K. The top sailors have multiple foils, sails and masts, adding maybe $15k but these guys never pay full price if at all.

The average punter with a new boat probably only spends a couple of K extra when its his own money, amateur and most of the fleet have older boats as cheap as $15k for a 6 year old M2 or less for a Bladerider orold Prowler. (There is at least one new Prowler in the Gold fleet, and several Exocets)

Considering that the boats are really cheap to freight around the world (airfreight a M2 box costs about the same as an economy air fare), and accomodation costs the same for any class, the moths are probably pretty economical compared with other big classes where you supply your own equipment. I know the I14s and 505s pay a lot more for freight and lose their boats for months on end due to shipping times.

Like all classes once you have sailed a few season you have a collection of old or superseded gear to keep at hand for spare parts.

These boats come to a sudden stop from 25kts, and are sailing in waves about a boat length apart and up to a couple of feet deep, its amazing that so little gets broken. Most damage has been from crashes with the bottom or other boats.

The Waszp is intended to be about half the price of a Mach 2 and will weigh about 42kg instead of 30kg. Should be very attractive to teanagers, even if its not competitive in a big moth fleet. AMAC hopes to release the Waszp in March.

Good info. I'm trying to compare costs with the A-cat and F18. The latter I own and campaign so know pretty well. The boats themselves are all pretty comparable in cost, its the extras that I'm concerned about. Carrying around $15k in rigs,sails and foils for a Nationals or Worlds, on top of the boat cost, is a bit frightening to me, though as you say the average joe may have more like $5K in spares. It's pretty easy to accumulate. A new F18 is $25K, trailer is $3K, new sails are $4K, and I probably have about $3K in miscellaneous items including covers (beach and trailer), beach wheels, hull chocks, spare rudder, spare crossbars, spare spin pole plus the usual blocks and rigging. So the net cost and running costs are probably fairly close (though our sail package costs more, I've heard the A mains are cheaper than the Moth mains).

Travel costs are always a bit of an issue. Our Worlds are generally limited to places where containers are easy to get to to, and for the most part the fleet size is largest in Europe so that comes up more than any other. For the U.S teams, Worlds are hard to justify unless a charter boat is made available, because we'd need to be loading the container in late May for an early July event on the continent, and then our boats probably wouldn't return until September. That's why there is one U.S team registered for F18 worlds this summer out of 130+ boats, and they are sponsored by a major manufacturer. Loosing our entire season for one event is tough to justify!

The win for the Moth vs. A-cat is the easy traveling.

I'd be curious to know what the average Mothie has damaged at this event and how much they are out of pocket on replacement parts?

Clean, if you or another can get a close up of the rake system on Burling's boat, I'd love to see that. It'd be fun to see how that works.

In the same vein, it'd be fun to clearly see how the canting rigs work.

Burling's boat is identical to Tuke's and that one is on Facebook with full video. Let me know if you can't find it

Thanks Clean. I didn't think to look at the video on FB. I checked out the close-up pics and the canting rig now makes sense.

Love to, if someone will pay me. Where do I sign up?

<signed, soon-to-be-ex-navy commander.>

....it's feeling like Clean's stretching outside the normal media role. Not unbiased reporting, but rather agenda driven.

One step short of -being- the news. :mellow:

Clean, the interview with Peter Osborne was terrific, he made a mockery of your "over 50's" ageist jibe. I'll take your putting it to air as your apology.

...careful what you wish for...some would start races in yesterdays breeze even if there was a single starter :blink:

Hopefully we'll get some racing today. I get enough politics in MSM.

I can only guess the waszp is trolley launched then. Otherwise, it being heavier, it would be a right bitch to launch.

As for the cost of spares for the event you need to read into the hype. I doubt that much has been broken. I've done 2 worlds and broken nothing. I'm only a weekend punter scraping into gold fleet but I sail enough to know how to sail in swell , how to launch and how to come onto a lee shore. If you dont you might break stuff. But only might.

once pitchpoledpitchpole about 50 times in 25 knots when trying to go downwind in a chopped up small swell. The boat was fine but I didn't fall on it once. On the same day a much better sailor tore his sail to shreds launching cause some numpty who didn't know how to swim the boat out through the swell drifted into him.

As for the footage, it might be the best you can do but its like watching a match through a commentary box. The only moth footage you've done that was good was from the beech at the gorge. E.g Nathans foil tack at the ww mark inside bora. It was good because you could see the race taking shape.

Basically, you need drones for that. The AC footage changed the game!

As for the footage, it might be the best you can do but its like watching a match through a commentary box. The only moth footage you've done that was good was from the beech at the gorge. E.g Nathans foil tack at the ww mark inside bora. It was good because you could see the race taking shape.

Basically, you need drones for that. The AC footage changed the game!

You also need a shitload of money.

As for the cost of spares for the event you need to read into the hype. I doubt that much has been broken. I've done 2 worlds and broken nothing. I'm only a weekend punter scraping into gold fleet but I sail enough to know how to sail in swell , how to launch and how to come onto a lee shore. If you dont you might break stuff. But only might.

once pitchpoledpitchpole about 50 times in 25 knots when trying to go downwind in a chopped up small swell. The boat was fine but I didn't fall on it once. On the same day a much better sailor tore his sail to shreds launching cause some numpty who didn't know how to swim the boat out through the swell drifted into him.

..... the thing to appreciate about the moth fleet is that although it's an open event,I doubt there's many punters around. Very different than a laser worlds qualifier or such,where some have a lot at stake while others are wayyy off the pace and an actual danger to others.

....from the sounds of it a large reason the top end sailors have a quiver is to optimize for different conditions, while a 'punter' in this fleet can play with one set of proven gear.

....I can see a place for there being a pro circuit. It's sounding like some of the expectations of a few are taking things well beyond what's interesting or fun for many corinthians.

1. If I wanted to be sensationalist, the story on the front page would have about four more paragraphs and Fox News would already be running with it.

2. Passive voice, and nothing like that happened, ever.

3. When my media boat (that I was not even on, btw) got in the way of a racing boat at Key West, with no damage or collision or anything, it was news on the event website, several other websites, and a ginormous thread here. Double standards are your thing perhaps.

4. Shirley got a nice gash on her face yesterday courtesy of the Glide Free laser foiler.

If you come across as an ill–informed loudmouth then I'll stop visiting.

You should probably leave now then, because you are far too sensitive for it.

I find it very sad indeed to see the level of whinging going on here. This is ground breaking, warts and all coverage of a sensational event and it is FREE. (to us)

The SA team must be in a state of shock to be getting this response from some of you so called anarchists. Constructive criticism is one thing but we are being given front row seats, backstage access and VIP passes to an event that has ramifications that go far beyond the world of one man dinghy sailing. We could very well be seeing the birth of a completely new sailing format and I want more of it.

So from me, Clean, Ronnie, Sailor Girl and all your great team. Thank you very much indeed. SA represents the new media, the place where we can say it like it is and call it like it happened. I think you folks out there in armchair land need to appreciate it more or it might just disappear.

Ps: Clean (Nice Hats you all have)

Interesting how the dinghy forum seems to have a different attitude than the other forums, which are more "SA attitude".

Example, while the traditional "#$% off newbie" welcome seems to be tolerated and in fact celebrated elsewhere on this site, the dingy threads have a different tone. Perhaps it's because the performance dinghy sailing world is so small, that many of us know (or have met each other), while with the leadmine crowd, there is a larger world and thus anonymity to hide behind.

I find it very sad indeed to see the level of whinging going on here. This is ground breaking, warts and all coverage of a sensational event and it is FREE. (to us)

The SA team must be in a state of shock to be getting this response from some of you so called anarchists. Constructive criticism is one thing but we are being given front row seats, backstage access and VIP passes to an event that has ramifications that go far beyond the world of one man dinghy sailing. We could very well be seeing the birth of a completely new sailing format and I want more of it.

So from me, Clean, Ronnie, Sailor Girl and all your great team. Thank you very much indeed. SA represents the new media, the place where we can say it like it is and call it like it happened. I think you folks out there in armchair land need to appreciate it more or it might just disappear.

Well said!

Real simple

WAS SHIRLY DRIVING?

Yes?her fault and all the cheap that clean is throwing should stick (maybe)

No?

Then why the fuck should she put her hand in her pocket and appologise? The dick that was driving should or CNN or thier insurers, NOT SHIRLY!

It's like having a crash on the bus as a passenger and getting asked to front the costs to the other party, the dude driving gets it or the company they work for but Not the passenger wether they are high profile or not..

As for the lame SHIRLY got a nice gash to the face comment... Fucking pathetic yeah sure you wrote it as just the facts but it was so totally out of context.

Didn't you fit? Or were you busy helping bora fix stuff...

Lets get back to the interesting question for a second, at least for the European contingent.

Will there be racing today? Live coverage?

Lets get back to the interesting question for a second, at least for the European contingent.

Will there be racing today? Live coverage?

YES, please tell us and forget about the bullshit!

I am sure it will be sorted or had been sorted already.

Then why the fuck should she put her hand in her pocket and appologise?

Is it not obvious that she's the only one with a public brand and image to maintain?

Real simple

WAS SHIRLY DRIVING?

Yes?her fault and all the cheap that clean is throwing should stick (maybe)

No?

Then why the fuck should she put her hand in her pocket and appologise? The dick that was driving should or CNN or thier insurers, NOT SHIRLY!

It's like having a crash on the bus as a passenger and getting asked to front the costs to the other party, the dude driving gets it or the company they work for but Not the passenger wether they are high profile or not..

As for the lame SHIRLY got a nice gash to the face comment... Fucking pathetic yeah sure you wrote it as just the facts but it was so totally out of context.

Didn't you fit? Or were you busy helping bora fix stuff...

I think you're missing the point. Wouldn't you feel terrible if you were part of the responsible party who potentially had removed a world championship contender from his chance at winning the worlds again? I know I would be super apologetic and I would do what I could to make things right. I would be embarrassed that the boat I had hired had collided with a sailboat.

I can tell you, as a sailor, when I run races and regattas which I do on a regular basis, I do whatever I can to not affect the races of the people who have paid to race at an event, no matter if they're a contender for the overall or not because at the end of the day, I'd want the same for me when it's my turn to race and I want to set that example.

So yes, Shirley should have told the powerboat driver to stop immediately, she should have offered to assist, she should have apologized profusely to Bora and she should have reassured him that she would make it right. She is in charge of that boat, she and her producer hired them and she's the most experienced sailor on board. If she was racing, she would have expected the exact same respect.

Sorry...rant over. I'm an American...go Bora!

....from the sounds of it a large reason the top end sailors have a quiver is to optimize for different conditions, while a 'punter' in this fleet can play with one set of proven gear.

there is another reason, it's because of the test & development process in the ultimate development class

it's mentioned above by phil above that the 'top end' aren't paying, they are sailing for teams or 'test pilots' for foil development or simply sponsored or whatever

its because they are looking for the next best foil, a speed advantage

they end up with a quiver either thru the development process OR that they must have what the other bloke has

as you point out, if you are carrying around enough foils you are bound to favour one over the other in certain conditions, say under 7knts, or above 20

consider them like sails,in a NON-smod class that is testing & developing gear, you'd soon have a garage full

if ...the boat I had hired had collided with a sailboat.

She is in charge of that boat, she and her producer hired them

Sorry...rant over. I'm an American...go Bora!

ummm, reports say it was the organising authorities boat, myth busted?

remember it's the chairman making good right

boat was club boat. driver was volunteer. that's a problem too, but only because these are moths. Shirley knows better, spends her life doing this, should always be watching out.

LEaving dock in 5. New story on front page.

Marginal wind was bad, much wind was not much better.

Lay day became a much needed repair day.

Here we go again. Live right now from Sorrento. Day 5 of the Moth Worlds 2015

Costs?

A new stock Mach2 is about $US25K or $A30K. The top sailors have multiple foils, sails and masts, adding maybe $15k but these guys never pay full price if at all.

The average punter with a new boat probably only spends a couple of K extra when its his own money, amateur and most of the fleet have older boats as cheap as $15k for a 6 year old M2 or less for a Bladerider orold Prowler. (There is at least one new Prowler in the Gold fleet, and several Exocets)

Considering that the boats are really cheap to freight around the world (airfreight a M2 box costs about the same as an economy air fare), and accomodation costs the same for any class, the moths are probably pretty economical compared with other big classes where you supply your own equipment. I know the I14s and 505s pay a lot more for freight and lose their boats for months on end due to shipping times.

Like all classes once you have sailed a few season you have a collection of old or superseded gear to keep at hand for spare parts.

These boats come to a sudden stop from 25kts, and are sailing in waves about a boat length apart and up to a couple of feet deep, its amazing that so little gets broken. Most damage has been from crashes with the bottom or other boats.

The Waszp is intended to be about half the price of a Mach 2 and will weigh about 42kg instead of 30kg. Should be very attractive to teanagers, even if its not competitive in a big moth fleet. AMAC hopes to release the Waszp in March.

Good info. I'm trying to compare costs with the A-cat and F18. The latter I own and campaign so know pretty well. The boats themselves are all pretty comparable in cost, its the extras that I'm concerned about. Carrying around $15k in rigs,sails and foils for a Nationals or Worlds, on top of the boat cost, is a bit frightening to me, though as you say the average joe may have more like $5K in spares. It's pretty easy to accumulate. A new F18 is $25K, trailer is $3K, new sails are $4K, and I probably have about $3K in miscellaneous items including covers (beach and trailer), beach wheels, hull chocks, spare rudder, spare crossbars, spare spin pole plus the usual blocks and rigging. So the net cost and running costs are probably fairly close (though our sail package costs more, I've heard the A mains are cheaper than the Moth mains).

Travel costs are always a bit of an issue. Our Worlds are generally limited to places where containers are easy to get to to, and for the most part the fleet size is largest in Europe so that comes up more than any other. For the U.S teams, Worlds are hard to justify unless a charter boat is made available, because we'd need to be loading the container in late May for an early July event on the continent, and then our boats probably wouldn't return until September. That's why there is one U.S team registered for F18 worlds this summer out of 130+ boats, and they are sponsored by a major manufacturer. Loosing our entire season for one event is tough to justify!

The win for the Moth vs. A-cat is the easy traveling.

I'd be curious to know what the average Mothie has damaged at this event and how much they are out of pocket on replacement parts?

Just close your eyes and get a moth (or 2) ... Offer still stands for the moth trial btw.

You put yourself out for hire for a TV crew, your simple job is to do what you are being paid to do, which almost certainly includes not crashing I to shit, being a Volenteer doesn't somehow absolve you of your responsibilities to the people that hired the boat and the organisation/event that you volunteered for

Shirley was probably doing her job focussing o. The action and what was being filmed/talking to camera. I doubt CNN was paint her to drive the bloody boat.

As for the appology, does it have to be public? Does it have to be made in shaky vision clean cam and hosted on this site to satisfy the baying mob? Course it does cos clicks mean coin...

No audio problems for me on YT via proxy.

I did a page refresh after I had audio problems at 1 hour.

Ah, a short connection problem on the handheld. Stood someone on the cable? So check connections for tomorrow.

i have been busy, just tuned in now, who won the last 3 races?

..apparently Burling's almost wrapped up! :o

Peter Burling took 3 bullets.

Chris Rashley leads lap 1 of the last race of the day. Burling in 3rd(?).

correction, Burling has gone 2-1-1 today and is currently in 3rd in the last race of the day.

Nathan Outterdige won the first race today.

And that is why the cave has a 2nd laptop. Good work. =)

One more lap and this day is done.

Burling wins again! Damn he is good! 2-1-1-1 on the day and has now scored 8 bullets in 12 races

Burling wins again! Damn he is good! 2-1-1-1 on the day and has now scored 8 bullets in 12 races

...quite something!

...last finish..... ..Burly....slingy,,,outey,,,mcKnight,,warner,,Draper,,­,McMillian,,,goody,,,Babbage,,--,,ashbey,kouty,,,Amac.......­.

R4 finish provisional results - 1 @peteburling 2 @McknightJosh 3 Chris Rashley 4 Tom Slingsby 5 @nath49er.

Clean, a roo will kick yr ass. LOL

Remember also that the breeze does tend to funnel down the north/south streets down there, but more likely to affect the silver course I am guessing

Surely ETNZ are looking to 'the new guard' now for AC... Impressive sailing from Burling. Just a damn shame about the conditions throughout the week. Great coverage. MANY appreciate it - but haters ... always gonna hate.

No audio problems for me on YT via proxy.

I did a page refresh after I had audio problems at 1 hour.

Ah, a short connection problem on the handheld. Stood someone on the cable? So check connections for tomorrow.

thanks mate. it was encoder>youtube issue.

Surely ETNZ are looking to 'the new guard' now for AC... Impressive sailing from Burling. Just a damn shame about the conditions throughout the week. Great coverage. MANY appreciate it - but haters ... always gonna hate.

You would have to think Dean Barker's days are numbered as a helmsman post Olympics when Pete Burling is relieved of a commitment, particularly when 3 of his team mates are top 10 (or on the edge of) and even his tactician is giving him a touch up at this Moth Worlds.

well they are not just current dinghy sailors, they are the best of

I think he and Ray are doing just great, as well as Loick Peyron etc

My hat needs to be the large size please Clean.

So at the end of the broadcast Clean and co were discussing how there had been periods of dominance in the past. My question is, to what degree has it been a case of people being lucky in getting the boat set up just right and having no breakages, but with Burling, are we seeing a fundamentally higher level of performance from a combination of awesome prep and incredible sailing skills?

So at the end of the broadcast Clean and co were discussing how there had been periods of dominance in the past. My question is, to what degree has it been a case of people being lucky in getting the boat set up just right and having no breakages, but with Burling, are we seeing a fundamentally higher level of performance from a combination of awesome prep and incredible sailing skills?

yup...

^^ Bit hard to tell given the obviously sketchy sailing conditions the whole fleet faced in Melbourne. Yes, you can argue that Burling killed it in these gnarly/fluky conditions, and was therefore a 'step up' - but I think we'll need to wait until another time, when they all come together on the start in better moth/foiling conditions, certainly more consistent sailing conditions. ETNZ must be pretty damn stoked to be watching the development of someone who can seriously step it up, as they lead into the next AC. Plenty of Barker haters around - I am not one of them - but you'd have to think it could be time for Deano to move somewhere else in that syndicate now and for a bloke like Burling to take it to the next level - and hopefully ultimate victory in Bermuda.

^^ Bit hard to tell given the obviously sketchy sailing conditions the whole fleet faced in Melbourne. Yes, you can argue that Burling killed it in these gnarly/fluky conditions, and was therefore a 'step up' -

but I think we'll need to wait until another time, when they all come together on the start in better moth/foiling conditions

no need to argue m8

what odds are you giving that he won't win

btw conditions were 'in the zone', especially compared to 3 well discussed days

Clean

Good stuff.

Great coverage, nice kit, excel music, pretty girl, good comments, good use of new media/social media and of course Burling!

He doesn't have anything to sell GS. He told us he's not in it for the money & that providing good content to lift readership to sell advertising is NOT the model.

He told us? Were his lips moving at the time? Met him briefly at Sorrento last week - the dude oozes insincerity - maybe its a lawyer thing.

On-Line coverage is excellent for those of us stuck at the coal face so thanks for that, but hearing a LOT of fill/waffle from Clean, not so much from Nik who comes across as far more savvy about whats going on.

I can only guess the waszp is trolley launched then. Otherwise, it being heavier, it would be a right bitch to launch.

As for the cost of spares for the event you need to read into the hype. I doubt that much has been broken. I've done 2 worlds and broken nothing. I'm only a weekend punter scraping into gold fleet but I sail enough to know how to sail in swell , how to launch and how to come onto a lee shore. If you dont you might break stuff.

There has been shitloads of breakages. I know of two sailors who have burnt through three sets of foils each. The new fast foils are much thinner. Plus plenty of wing bars from collisions.

There is broken carbon everywhere

Today's SA live coverage was really great! I don't think it can get better than this with with the limited budget and technology they have.

Naturally all the news are about the front runners, but I'd also like to know what's happening in the silver fleet. Quite a lot of DNFs in the results.

Hi there,

I do not need a hat but just saying:

You are doing a great job today! Love the coverage! Keep it coming!

smooth sailing!

Good coverage guys, well done SA!

Peter Burling sailing brilliantly........be interesting to see if nathan can come back, hope so.

Pete Burling looks/appears a cut above the rest (including nathan currently) re fitness, can anyone there comment? Is that an accepted fact?

....Interesting to me to see if this event leads nathan to commit again to the 49er i.e. he really has been there and done that re 100% commitment to the 49er and got that ultimate reward of an olympic gold. Against Pete only 100% commitment will seemingly do....is nathan interested?

Perhaps pete might be just the motivation that nathan needs i.e. 'people are saying pete is so perfect/great well i'm going to show you all what brilliant looks like'.

Pete Burling looks/appears a cut above the rest (including nathan currently) re fitness, can anyone there comment? Is that an accepted fact?

What surprises me is the downwind advantage. In my understanding/small moth experience big righting moment (i.e. weight) and some body kinetics in above 10 knots, can give a significant advantage upwind, but it isn't the case downwind.

So I suspect could be more about boatspeed (and maybe tactics). What do people in Sorrento say about it?

What surprises me is the downwind advantage. In my understanding/small moth experience big righting moment (i.e. weight) and some body kinetics in above 10 knots, can give a significant advantage upwind, but it isn't the case downwind.

So I suspect could be more about boatspeed (and maybe tactics). What do people in Sorrento say about it?

Slingers is by far fastest upwind. Burling has another gear downwind. He said he doesn't know why, but he has some heavily modified Mach 2 foils and that helps. Big interview coming after racing.

Re peter downwind, it reminds me of a quote (apologies I cannot remember who) that basically went something like 'at any one time/generation, only ~10 guys really know how to sail downwind brilliantly/perfectly'.........and in terms of evidence for this, maybe that's the only possible way to explain people like ben ansilie (apologies for the brit reference) being able to go around a windward mark last and arrive at the bottom first.

For average joe public, the gains are made sailing upwind, for these guys the differenctial is far greater downwind.

Cheers Clean. Very intereting that Slingsby stands out upwind....raw weight and great hiking?....but peter cannot be too far different in weight and looks good hiking no?

Slingers is by far fastest upwind. Burling has another gear downwind. He said he doesn't know why, but he has some heavily modified Mach 2 foils and that helps. Big interview coming after racing.

Cheers Clean. Very intereting that Slingsby stands out upwind....raw weight and great hiking?....but peter cannot be too far different in weight and looks good hiking no?

Tommy hikes off his calves. everyone else hikes off the back of their thighs. Serious fitness, core strength, massive hamstrings and quads.

....Interesting to me to see if this event leads nathan to commit again to the 49er i.e. he really has been there and done that re 100% commitment to the 49er and got that ultimate reward of an olympic gold. Against Pete only 100% commitment will seemingly do....is nathan interested?

Perhaps pete might be just the motivation that nathan needs i.e. 'people are saying pete is so perfect/great well i'm going to show you all what brilliant looks like'.

Burling is a Wayne Gretzky in the making. The outliers outlier.

Interesting comment from Nathan in the sail world interview re historically helping/training with peter. can be pretty sure that those days are numbered. Not for any grand reason other than him now being the clear challenger to nathan.

Good to note that nathan is only 28 i.e. not any/many question marks yet re reaction times, flexability, fitness yet. Beyond this event, I would love to see nathan taking peter on and winning. Experience counts for so much in sailing and you can be sure that in the 49er no one can develop the speed advantage that peter has shown downwind.....going to be interesting.

Re nathans comments re rio day light hours and breeze being limited possibly leading to a short regatta and a bit of a crap shoot.....not sure he would want to dedicate himself with the prospect of such a lottery event.

Burling is a Wayne Gretzky in the making. The outliers outlier.

Tommy hikes off his calves. everyone else hikes off the back of their thighs. Serious fitness, core strength, massive hamstrings and quads.

Hmm... I call bullshit. No doubt the dude is hiking seriously hard but off of his calves?

1902860_633720666733194_7198120950281980