• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Roleur

Where are the hoists for launching in Texas?

So, we just bought a trailerable boat with a 4' draft when on the trailer (lifting keel) and a keel stepped mast so we must have a hoist to launch or at least get the mast stepped and then a really steep ramp.

Where are there hoists for such a thing Texas? We live in Austin.

I know AYC has a hoist for the mast. Ramp launching might be a bit tricky with the low water, but still a maybe. Seabrook Shipyard has one we can use. It sounds like Corpus Christi might have one. Where else? Any other lakes close to Austin?

Just looking to know what our options are.

3000 pound boat.

Thanks

Does LCYC have a hoist to step the mast?

I have launched a J22 and seen a few J80s be launched by the crane at Fort Worth Boat Club on Eagle Mountain lake. FWBC has a mast pole too that I have seen people using although I don't know how high it is. I imagine there are a few others in the DFW area, possibly Rush Creek.

I have been sailing at AYC a few times recently and launched a dinghy. I do not think I personally would try to ramp launch anything that draws more than about a foot. None of the real ramps are usable; there are only some improvised things and their condition changes day to day with the water level. However if you get in contact with AYC they might have some way to help you out. They have come up with some quite impressive ways to deal with the low and fluctuating water level.

I go sailing on Lake Waco and Lake Whitney fairly regularly. I know Waco has no crane and I'm pretty sure Whitney doesn't either. I have helped ramp launch a J22 on Waco and Whitney. There was no mast crane near the Waco ramp. We launched the J22 at Harbor Master Marina on Whitney and there may actually be something you could use as a mast crane there. The ramp is very sketchy though, bumpy and not sure it is still deep enough with the fluctuating lake level. I don't know much about Lake Belton facilities but I can give you some contact info for the guy who organizes most of the sailing there.

Thanks Jim.

Do you know if anything special was required to launch the J24? Tongue-extender? Submarine for a tow vehicle? :)

I am always amazed when people purchase expensive toys before figuring out if, within their life or planned life, there is any use for those toys.

No judgement. Just curiosity. I have a sax, banjo, cornet, and soprano recorder I have not yet learned to play. To that end I might understand your purchase.

Anyway, I probably could offer you more information and guidance, especially about trailering, rigging, launching, and sailing your new toy in the Central Texas, than any other person on the planet

Except

I don't know ANY of the following.

What kind of boat?

What is your planned use?

Do you have a roadworthy trailer?

Do you have a hauling vehicle?

Are you sufficiently competent to sail the boat on a variety of waters in a variety of conditions or should we limit our suggestions to safer less challenging venues?

Is the boat seaworthy?... To what extent?

Do you want a storage space?

Do you wish to race?

Are you handicapped?

Will you be taking handicapped sailors for rides?

Are you a current member of any yacht club?

Do you plan to join?

If so which one ?

I probably have another twenty to 100 questions for which I need decent answers to generate decent advice.

I suspect many of us have answers to a few hundred questions you do not yet know how to ask.

Regardless, you should be aware I nearly decided not up get involved at all because my first reaction was;

He didn't even tell us what kind of boat. Why the hell would I waste my time or his answering a hypothetical when the specific question allows so many specific and helpful answers

So, I am going with, "this guy so loves his new toy he failed to name it out if a modest desire not to appear as a braggart."

Don't worry. Everybody here loves boats and I think we all would love to see you have a great experience using yours

So what the hell is it already ?!?!?!

Oh man Gouvernail, your post so cracks me up. I almost didn't answer, because your post is so laced with assumption it was hard to read.

I didn't know that I needed to write a book with family history in my first post on the topic. A normal dialogue would start with a question and some background and if more information is needed it could be asked. You know, a normal back and forth. Your approach, on the other hand, is, umm, different.

Here's a teaser for you. The boat is a custom Schumacher 28 built in 2000 at Schooner Creek Boatworks. It was designed and built for a friend of Carl Schumacher. The second to last boat he designed before his untimely death. The hull is klegecell foam with carbon skins. The carbon fin, bulb keel lifts for trailering and launching to 4' and 6' when down. The boat was never raced, so it does not have a PHRF rating yet. I have a pretty good idea what the rating will be though because I owned another very similar, but much older Schumacher design, a Sonoma 30, almost 20 years ago. I bought that boat with the idea of racing it to Hawaii. My wife and I ended up buying a boat we could live on and went cruising to Mexico instead. The next owner of the Sonoma raced it to Hawaii twice.

Just last month my wife & I double-handed our J/120 from San Francisco to Hawaii in Pacific Cup 2014. We had a fantastic trip and were happy to receive the "Best First Passage" Award. Our J/120 is now in the Pacific Northwest where it will live for the foreseeable future as we are originally from Seattle and are really looking forward to cruising the area again. We might race Van Isle 360 next year, we might just go cruising.

So, now that our J/120 is in the PNW we are boatless in Texas and we want to sail. We've been sailing together since we met 20 years ago racing dinghies at the University of Washington. Then, on our Sonoma 30 and then a 49er. We've also learned a few things about ocean racing from the Trans-Atlantic crossing we did double-handed on the J in 2012 and Pacific Cup. That has led us to search for a new boat that we could sail more frequently, transport easily, and would be a better boat for racing double-handed to Hawaii. Click on my signature below and you can read all about our time with the J/120 and a few videos of the passages we've made.

The plan is to race the Schumacher 28 to Hawaii in Pacific Cup 2016, again double-handed. For a portion of the year we will keep the boat on the trailer in the Seabrook Shipyard and trailer launch using their hoist. For some of the year we'd like to have the boat closer to Austin, hence my question. Are there places near Austin we should consider? We belong to GBCA, but no local yacht clubs. We are planning to join AYC, possibly to launch the boat, store boat, but definitely to take part in the dinghy racing, both as racers and as organizers. I coached juniors and collegiate sailors before in Seattle and really enjoyed it. I'd like to get back into that sort of thing. If AYC turns out not to be a suitable place for our boat, that's okay. We'll just spend more time sailing Galveston Bay or in Corpus Christi, or wherever else sounds fun and has facilities we can use. Exploring our options right now.

4720539_20140527102405346_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

No plans at this point to take handicapped people sailing, but thanks for asking.

I did post about the boat over on Ocean Anarchy. Apologies you hadn't seen it already.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=159245

Not detailed enough. I need to know the names and birth order of the children of the designer as well as their inclination toward the sport of sailing. Then and only then will I reveal that at this point Lake Travis is probably week to week depending on the amount of rainfall we aren't receiving. As mentioned previously, it should currently be possible to launch from AYC, but in a few weeks in may not be. If we get a decent amount of rain rain it will be. The lake is very low at the moment, but it can fill up fast if we get enough rain in the right places. I think AYC is the only place where you can currently launch on travis and will probably remain that way for another 10-15 feet of lake level.

Cool!!

For launching on ramps I suggest the following ( generally .. And yes I should be shot for failure to be more specific )

A big strong tongue wheel mounted on a square shaft jack. there are a lot of good ones at AYC you can view by walking through the dry sail area.

The tongue ladder and the bow target "V" provides a huge part of the ease of launching.

It isn't a cheap upgrade but it is mighty nice to use

Especially because it minimizes bow damage

I don't see a keel guide in the photo. A good keel guide is also important to ease of haul launch without damages

I can't tell on a tiny cell phone view if the keel is "locked in a pocket" on your trailer. I. Relieve it is and it would be a lot more easy to use if a sort of a funnel is created to use the keel down where it must land without damage . This may not be something easy to accomplish but it must... Especially if the back of the keel has a fragile point

I have a hole in my leg that will be keeping me off the water for a few weeks. If you need a Wednesday night ride I can help you out. The Laser and sunfish fleets here can be very competitive and are always fun

I can help you get in the water at AYC but I suggest you not launch until you have arranged a plan to accomplish a safe haul out. The lake is dropping about a foot every five days with no rain anywhere on the forecast

The lake needs to rise about five feet to haul your boat on AYC's new ramp extension and no other facility on the lake is a suitable hauling venue for a keelboat on anything less than a monster trailer capable of rolling over rocks and being shoved through mud.

I have two boats at AYC waiting do I cannot write more now.

We should chat..... If for no other reason than to get you out Wednesday night.

And..... All those trailer mods?

There are ways to Dave a while lot of money vs just having Magnum

trailers do it. They would do it perfectly and all you need to do is write a check but there are plenty of others who can accomplish the task if you are willing to deal with them and even supervise a bit

And. Hell yes!! I need a full family history. Sailing is a lifestyle more than anything else and the needs of individual sailors are so diverse yet specific I can't help anybody without first taking the time to befriend.

Thanks Gouv. Sent you a PM.

By the way, you saying no rain in the forecast made it rain today. Well done. Keep doing that.

Cell phone 512 is in and out if the pocket. I am hauling a Stonehorse right 659. now and yanked sn island Packet at lunch time.

Evening probably works well for calling

My cell number 0694 is scattered on this post

Canyon Lake Marina has a block and tackle atop a telephone pole that I have used to hoist a mast several times. . THey also have a steep ramp. For the 4'6'' keel on my Colgate 26 I use a 20 ft tongue extension and still have the rear wheels of my 4WD Tundra fully submerged before she floats off. . You could do the same with a tow strap if you want to keep your rear wheels dry. . The keel on my Xtreme 25 retracts so much easier to launch.

I have a small keelboat that is a challenge to launch (even with ample tongue extension) and re-load in the relatively shallow launches (and a steep one dropping into shallow water, too) around north Houston. I am considering maodding or having mods made to my dual axle trailer to serve double duty for my Lightning and for my Ranger 23. The trailer itself is waaay overkill for the Lightning but since yard space is getting crowded with projects I don't have many options.

I have been measuring things to help my consideration for stacking the Lightning's trailer onto the dual axle trailer but I will probly have to re-arrange the wheels on the samll trailer or mess with the fenders on the dual axle trailer. If I can't make it look purposeful or if looks too gimmicky, I'll just set up some drop-in bunkboards designed for the Lightning and take the crap from those who aren't sailing 'cuz they don't even have trailer number one or even have a boat to begin with - poor lost souls. (The Ranger 23 will be set up on a cradle in this case, of course.)

I found a two-part video on Youtube by a guy who points out some things to look out for (other than what some already pointed out on this thread) when modding or building a trailer for sailboats. The site below is for part one of the two-part series. You can easily find the other if you find this one useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYkU3GsdOGc

Note: This is not necessarily an endorsement of his opinions but a place to begin further research. I don't know the guy from Squat but I found his observations to be useful to me.

I really have let this fellow down... Maybe he is pissed maybe frustrated maybe neither ... I have been too damn busy completing a couple deadline projects to help at all

Pissed? Frustrated? Hell, I've been sailing in the Pacific Northwest. Cool weather, beautiful scenery. Beats the hell out of August in Texas. Our new boat should be on its way to Texas in the next few days.

Love the Weta Dave. It would fit well in our "fleet". Unfortunately, our fleet must grow at a sustainable pace...

Hey Gouv,

I saw on another forum that the Lake levels in Texas are up again.

I couldn't find the thread where you put a heap of pics of Lake Travis really low but do you have nay now it is up again?

Cheers

It's 2' above full.

By the way, we've been racing Spadefoot on Lake Travis for the last 1.5 years. The racing has been great and AYC has been awesome. In 2 weeks we haul out and trailer the boat SF Bay in advance of Pacific a Cup this summer.

149xy6b.jpg

So full they opened one flood gate earlier this week for the first time since 2007.

It's 2' above full.

By the way, we've been racing Spadefoot on Lake Travis for the last 1.5 years. The racing has been great and AYC has been awesome. In 2 weeks we haul out and trailer the boat SF Bay in advance of Pacific a Cup this summer.

149xy6b.jpg

International Canoes on the Lake? Cool!

I am always amazed when people purchase expensive toys before figuring out if, within their life or planned life, there is any use for those toys.

No judgement. Just curiosity. I have a sax, banjo, cornet, and soprano recorder I have not yet learned to play. To that end I might understand your purchase.

Anyway, I probably could offer you more information and guidance, especially about trailering, rigging, launching, and sailing your new toy in the Central Texas, than any other person on the planet

Except

I don't know ANY of the following.

What kind of boat?

What is your planned use?

Do you have a roadworthy trailer?

Do you have a hauling vehicle?

Are you sufficiently competent to sail the boat on a variety of waters in a variety of conditions or should we limit our suggestions to safer less challenging venues?

Is the boat seaworthy?... To what extent?

Do you want a storage space?

Do you wish to race?

Are you handicapped?

Will you be taking handicapped sailors for rides?

Are you a current member of any yacht club?

Do you plan to join?

If so which one ?

I probably have another twenty to 100 questions for which I need decent answers to generate decent advice.

I suspect many of us have answers to a few hundred questions you do not yet know how to ask.

Regardless, you should be aware I nearly decided not up get involved at all because my first reaction was;

He didn't even tell us what kind of boat. Why the hell would I waste my time or his answering a hypothetical when the specific question allows so many specific and helpful answers

So, I am going with, "this guy so loves his new toy he failed to name it out if a modest desire not to appear as a braggart."

Don't worry. Everybody here loves boats and I think we all would love to see you have a great experience using yours

So what the hell is it already ?!?!?!

Oh man Gouvernail, your post so cracks me up. I almost didn't answer, because your post is so laced with assumption it was hard to read.

I didn't know that I needed to write a book with family history in my first post on the topic.

4720539_20140527102405346_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

No plans at this point to take handicapped people sailing, but thanks for asking.

So yer not doing the PHRF thing

Ya 1D is the whey too go B)

It's 2' above full.

149xy6b.jpg

International Canoes on the Lake? Cool!

Look a little closer and you'll see they are ACs. Cooler?