• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
QBF

Micro-Cruiser Anarchy

My sweet little Frank Pelin designed Caribou 15 that I built when I was 17 and cruised all over the Hauraki Gulf and Bay of Islands.

post-3956-0-43442300-1486986475_thumb.jpgpost-3956-0-72311800-1486986508_thumb.png

That's a cool little boat, Sundreamer. Much better than the WWP 15 that camp cruisers here in the US bought a lot of.

Sounds like a fantastic way for a teenager to spend his time. Well done. If I could go back, I'd do the same.

Post pics in 25knots & 2metre seas please.

Boca Grande Pass, Charlotte Harbor. Everglades Challenge 2017 Day-1. 25 gusting to 35, wind against tide. Second to finish Class4 single male.

post-128223-0-38645300-1489336229_thumb.jpg

post-128223-0-50284400-1489336230_thumb.jpg

Boca Grande Pass, Charlotte Harbor. Everglades Challenge 2017 Day-1. 25 gusting to 35, wind against tide. Second to finish Class4 single male.

Well done. Enjoyed looking over your boat on Friday. Did you ever tape over those boom ends like i suggested?

I can take a good advice when i hear one ;)

I agree with the battens problem. We changed over all the battens in the mizzen to lighter ones. Still not completely happy with it but its much better than on that pic (which was on launch day)

post-128223-0-58057600-1489338499_thumb.png

post-128223-0-72452200-1489338616_thumb.jpg

Nice boat, well done.

I can take a good advice when i hear one ;)

I agree with the battens problem. We changed over all the battens in the mizzen to lighter ones. Still not completely happy with it but its much better than on that pic (which was on launch day)

Glad you did, could have been a nasty cut. I like your boat a lot and you really appeared to be going well all week. I've tried solo before and it's hard. Completing a solo challenge on your first attempt and even more so during the very difficult conditions this year is quite an achievement and you should be proud of your success. To do it in a nearly untested boat is even more impressive.

Nicely done, JF! We look forward to hearing how the boat did, what you might change. Did you use the waterballast system?

I did not use the WB system. The pumps and valves are in, but the pipes are not, so i did without. I could certainly have used it for inertia, to keep momentum in the short chop, which we had a ton of. Righting moment of course would have been good, but the boat was quite manageable as-is, and I keep being impressed with how much stability is added with the small amount of lead in the keel. Having not had time to do in-the-water stability tests, i did not want to push it, but a few times I didn't dump the main in time and ended up rail in the water, and the boat didn't go over. I took lots of footage and will write a recap in the coming weeks.

She is fun to sail and can be quite aggressive, I sailed her like a dinghy a lot, hiking straps and all. Then in the evening when i got tired i shortened sail, pulled out the beanbag and still moved along reasonably well.

I'd put a 3rd reef in the main. Saturday and Sunday I had 2 reefs in both sails and it was still too much.

I did not use the WB system. The pumps and valves are in, but the pipes are not, so i did without. I could certainly have used it for inertia, to keep momentum in the short chop, which we had a ton of. Righting moment of course would have been good, but the boat was quite manageable as-is, and I keep being impressed with how much stability is added with the small amount of lead in the keel. Having not had time to do in-the-water stability tests, i did not want to push it, but a few times I didn't dump the main in time and ended up rail in the water, and the boat didn't go over. I took lots of footage and will write a recap in the coming weeks.

She is fun to sail and can be quite aggressive, I sailed her like a dinghy a lot, hiking straps and all. Then in the evening when i got tired i shortened sail, pulled out the beanbag and still moved along reasonably well.

I'd put a 3rd reef in the main. Saturday and Sunday I had 2 reefs in both sails and it was still too much.

I thought the boat looked a bit light in some of the pics I saw posted along the way.

RoG is awesome. I want one!

I have seen pics of a Lightning with a small cabin. Pretty cool. Reef early.

Lightning is an awesome daysailer, many ways. Good performance, exciting feel, enough stowage to bring a lunch. Great looking boat too, a classic Olin Stephens beauty.

I think the hull is likely to make a better cuddy cabin micro cruiser than some others, but it will never be very roomy and it will always throw lots of spray. Putting some kind of tarp sailed yawl rig and leeboards will destroy the performance; good bye high pointing and planing. But it will keep the chine-steering and trying to root into waves.

Ignore tha last bit. There's a lot of small cruisers out there that are pudgy ill-mannered floating campers that can't sail worth a hoot. The cruisified Lightning will be a queen among them.

FB- Doug

@NorseHorse I always thought a lightening would make a fun little coastal cruiser, you could certainly go places in one if you wanted to.

The one thing about all these micro cruisers is they all seem very slow, which I'm sure is a compromise for stability and safety, but I'd like to get to the places i'm going especially if I'm in such a small boat!

I imagine a little trimaran could be a bit speedier, and similarly safe. Something like this, in the 6-7 meter range.

SketchUp 2017 03 13 10 31 59 86

Built of ply wood, all flat hull and lee boards. I'd love to see whats the best shape hull with only a curved bottom, would make it easy to build for sure.

@NorseHorse I always thought a lightening would make a fun little coastal cruiser, you could certainly go places in one if you wanted to.

The one thing about all these micro cruisers is they all seem very slow, which I'm sure is a compromise for stability and safety, but I'd like to get to the places i'm going especially if I'm in such a small boat!

I imagine a little trimaran could be a bit speedier, and similarly safe. Something like this, in the 6-7 meter range.

Built of ply wood, all flat hull and lee boards. I'd love to see whats the best shape hull with only a curved bottom, would make it easy to build for sure.

that's the wrong pic for a first post.

just sayin..

welcome to CA ,)

I really like this L7 tri and could see building one now that the boatbuilding bug has hit me.

http://multimarine.com/portfolio-items/l-7-trimaran/

I really like this L7 tri and could see building one now that the boatbuilding bug has hit me.

Pretty good looking too.

right. I forgot, boobs first, boats second!

bitties

Pretty good looking too.

right. I forgot, boobs first, boats second!

Well done, noob!

20170315 160414

I have to much time on my hands... seems to sail nice n the tub

I'm thinking leeboard foils on the amas so we can get mad upwind gains when the hulls gets flyin. I reckon it could cross the Atlantic faster than Rimas can get out of harbor :P

I have to much time on my hands... seems to sail nice n the tub

I'm thinking leeboard foils on the amas so we can get mad upwind gains when the hulls gets flyin. I reckon it could cross the Atlantic faster than Rimas can get out of harbor :P

I suppose it would depend on who is towing him

On 8/24/2014 at 0:16 PM, QBF said:

Graduating to a Smaller Boat
http://daveskaife.wordpress.com

Dave showed up in my driveway, which seems to be a magnet for strange boats, today.

He sailed the Bahamas, Cuba, and the Keys before concluding his journey in Marco Island, where a mutual friend picked him up.

He has sold the boat.

paradox.jpg

37 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Dave showed up in my driveway, which seems to be a magnet for strange boats, today.

He sailed the Bahamas, Cuba, and the Keys before concluding his journey in Marco Island, where a mutual friend picked him up.

He has sold the boat.

paradox.jpg

Webb Chiles mentions him in his Aug 24 post in a different boat. http://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.ca/

3 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Webb Chiles mentions him in his Aug 24 post in a different boat. http://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.ca/

No the Pathfinder was another guy's boat. It belongs to a fellow WT sailor "Deke". I saw it about two years ago in Tavernier while it was still under construction. 

1 minute ago, MisterMoon said:

No the Pathfinder was another guy's boat. It belongs to a fellow WT sailor "Deke". I saw it about two years ago in Tavernier while it was still under construction. 

Thanks

my mistake.

On 8/29/2017 at 7:57 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

He has sold the boat.

paradox.jpg

Tom

Thanks for posting that. His blog is great. A lot of useful tips and a great story about using his flashlight to punish rock-throwing vandals in the wild. (<-sounds dirtier than the actual story):

One final use: one night I was anchored about 40 feet from shore, at around 3:30am I was woken up by a loud splash, then a few seconds later a large rock bounced off my mast and front window. At this point I knew what was going on and lit up the shoreline with my light. It was like turning on the kitchen light and watching the cockroaches scatter. Those punks took off so fast they left behind their shoes, shirts and packs. I lit up the shore for about 20 minutes before getting bored and moving out beyond rock range. I was up at daylight and only then did I see the shivering, half naked vandals return to pick up their belongings. They spent two hours shivering in the bushes. Afraid of a flashlight. Still makes me chuckle. [https://daveskaife.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/gear-i-like-waypoint-spotlight-by-streamlight/]

Bill

On 17/05/2016 at 10:32 PM, Panoramix said:

I miss the micro cruiser thread.

It is more a mini cruiser than a micro but this guy went around Britain with a 6.4m boat starting from Normandy. 1960s design that is still loved in Brittany and around. It is in French and not to Dylan's standards but he doesn't speak much... I think that it is interesting nonetheless because it shows what you can do on a small boat with standard skills.

Designer : Philippe HARLE

Look this

8 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Designer : Philippe HARLE

Look this

Oh yes, there are plenty of muscadet videos, this one is cool. type "voile muscadet", "voilier muscadet" or "Harlé muscadet" and you tube will bring you many.

5 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Oh yes, there are plenty of muscadet videos, this one is cool. type "voile muscadet", "voilier muscadet" or "Harlé muscadet" and you tube will bring you many.

Tu peux parler français , je le suis et je vis en Toscane .

Thanks Panoramix .

More than 50 years I have passed my summer holydays in the sout of britain ( le croisic ). A cousin of mine had a Corsaire , I began sailing ith him . The last Harlé's I'have sailes was a Snacerre .

Just now, Puntone said:

Thanks Panoramix .

More than 50 years I have passed my summer holydays in the south of britain ( le croisic ). A cousin of mine had a Corsaire , I began sailing with him . The last Harlé's I'have sailed was a Sancerre .

5 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Thanks Panoramix .

More than 50 years I have passed my summer holydays in the sout of britain ( le croisic ). A cousin of mine had a Corsaire , I began sailing ith him . The last Harlé's I'have sailes was a Snacerre .

C'est bien aussi la Toscane!

Corsaire are interesting boats too. There is a Corsaire revival at the moment with some racing happening in western Brittany.

Just now, Panoramix said:

C'est bien aussi la Toscane!

Corsaire are interesting boats too. There is a Corsaire revival at the moment with some racing happening in western Brittany.

Harle' boat makes a big family .

On 9/12/2014 at 8:09 AM, Panoramix said:

Equally, now the assumption is that small boats don't need to be seaworthy for anything more than inshore stuff. I think that's a shame, you can design a small offshore seaworthy boat and they make great cruiser even if you just use them to do coastal stuff, even in the hands of a relatively inexperienced crew.

One French classic coming to my mind (6.4m, or 21ft) :

640px-Mousquetaire-572-sous-spi.jpg

Some people crossed the atlantic on it, most people used it for coastal cruising or racing, it is a mini cruiser (OK not micro), was affordable and many people managed to save the money to buy one.

You really don't need a 35 footer to cross the Atlantic, there is a sweet spot where you get the best capabilities for the money (18 to 28 ft IMHO), I think it is great to see people designing new micro cruisers. It would be even greater to see people buying them in mass again and this attitude "it needs to be big to be safe" doesn't help.

Serpentaire, I think? Maybe?  Or maybe the Serpentaire was mor elike 23 feet.  Bunch of guys took 'em, chainsawed off the back to make them 6.5 meters and that was the first basis of the Mini 6.5 class.

I quite like the looks of this little boat.

EDIT: ah, no --Muscadet.  I still like it.  I should read the whole thread before commenting at the end. Oyyy.