Sign in to follow this  
NacramanUK

New Nacra 15

4 hours ago, teamvmg said:

Go and get a price for 4 DNA A-class foils 

Yeah. Folks have to project reasonable expectations. 

These are complex toys, it costs to design , experiment, settle on a particular final design, and manufacture. And the manufacturing is small scale, so per unit costs are high.

10 minutes ago, Crooked Beat said:

But this ain't the A-Class. A youth class; but youth with wealthy parents.

Or club fleet... ?

• Like 1

As someone that operates a small club fleet I can buy 10 x bic o'Pens for the price of one nacra 15. I would prefer to put 10 kids on the water than 2.  

From a maintenance point of view the nacra 15 partiulary in the FCS config would be very easy to damage, insurances will be expensive and claims prohibitive. I am seriously having a hard time thinking of a worse proposition as a club boat. perhaps a new foiling moth. 

bad idea /

I'll tell em to go buy their own boat, don't expect a club to buy it.  club boats get treated like rubbish.  

12 hours ago, Dazz said:

I'll tell em to go buy their own boat, don't expect a club to buy it.  club boats get treated like rubbish.  

What he said.  In the modern world with heaps of options out there it is hard to justify club boats that aren't rotomoulded.

• Like 2

Are foiling cats the right boat to put in the hands of youth learning how to race.  It does up the complexity of racing significantly, particularly in a decent fleet with close crossings.  A Spinnaker cat is dangerous enough.  I have seen (good) youth sailors get into a lot of trouble on Vipers alone, let alone foilers.

• Like 2

All I am saying is that clubs that'd have 29er/49er fleets, which are high end skills and costs, oriented towards int'l/olympic competition, are likely candidates to build up a N15 fleet. Some configurations can also compete with a Whisper or S9... the combined volume can then drive costs down.

The killer for me is the weight. Once you've had a really lightweight cat, why would you sign up to move a heavy beast on the beach wheels again?

What clubs have club 29er or 49er fleets? None that I’m aware of, maybe American Yacht Club in Rye NY (the have 6x N15’s).

From what I have seen the c board N15’s are good training boats. Durable and they aren’t as powered up as the F16. Flipside is they aren’t that powered up-I think they will be a little dissappointing in foiling mode but maybe not.

I’m curious what the solo mode game plan is, seems like an option for when the kids are off at school and Dad wants to go for a spin?

2 hours ago, samc99us said:

What clubs have club 29er or 49er fleets? None that I’m aware of, maybe American Yacht Club in Rye NY (the have 6x N15’s).

Well, kids don't appear out of nowhere knowing how to handle them. They learn on club boats. Not many clubs have them, but those that do, as you point out, are N15 market. 

2 hours ago, samc99us said:

I’m curious what the solo mode game plan is, seems like an option for when the kids are off at school and Dad wants to go for a spin?

Yes, and overlap with S9/Whisper/Essentiel: enthusiast who's watched the AC cats with hunger. Not necessarily racer -- fun go-fast, fly, have a blast. Top load daggers, beachable, can handle 2. If it had been available 2 years ago it'd have been in my candidate list.

3 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

Well, kids don't appear out of nowhere knowing how to handle them. They learn on club boats. Not many clubs have them, but those that do, as you point out, are N15 market. 

Yes, and overlap with S9/Whisper/Essentiel: enthusiast who's watched the AC cats with hunger. Not necessarily racer -- fun go-fast, fly, have a blast. Top load daggers, beachable, can handle 2. If it had been available 2 years ago it'd have been in my candidate list.

Re: kids-no, this is the wealthy parent buys daughter/son 29er situation. Yacht clubs don't own them, at least not the wealthy ones in my area and I suspect that is common. So yes, the kids don't come out of nowhere but the support isn't really there either. This is one of the issues with high performance sailing in the U.S...

Overlap: one word of caution is this is a 310lb boat. The Stunt S9 is listed at 171lbs. Thats a big difference after a full day of sailing if you have a steep ramp or long beach.

A good mate of mines daughter had one of the Auckland boats as a youth, now she is too old for youth they got almost all their money back when they sold the 15 to another youth family and she came 5th at the 2018 Archipeligo Raid with the same youth crew on a leased C2. I raced against a father and young son on a Nacra 15 at Mission Beach regatta and they had a great time together, when the current lot of floaters are superseded and the price drops a bit there will be a solid market from old codgers like me to use as their single handed boats

4 hours ago, samc99us said:

Re: kids-no, this is the wealthy parent buys daughter/son 29er situation. Yacht clubs don't own them, at least not the wealthy ones in my area and I suspect that is common. So yes, the kids don't come out of nowhere but the support isn't really there either. This is one of the issues with high performance sailing in the U.S...

Overlap: one word of caution is this is a 310lb boat. The Stunt S9 is listed at 171lbs. Thats a big difference after a full day of sailing if you have a steep ramp or long beach.

Aren't we saying exactly the same things? :)

On 11/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, Crooked Beat said:

Upgrade kit is $7200 to go from the current NACRA 15. The NACRA 17 story all over again.

Replacing the standard foil set (C foils and rudders) without any other hardware ie: tiller etc. is $4100 ish. on a current config N15....$7200 doesn't seem all that bad for the foiling kit. The hulls were designed from the beginning to accept the foiling kit no modification required. Maybe you are a little ill informed?

1 hour ago, Flags said:

Replacing the standard foil set (C foils and rudders) without any other hardware ie: tiller etc. is $4100 ish. on a current config N15....$7200 doesn't seem all that bad for the foiling kit. The hulls were designed from the beginning to accept the foiling kit no modification required. Maybe you are a little ill informed?

I am just going by the press release and the North American information. $7200 is a lot for a youth boat.