Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

billseagull

Spookie demasted?

Picture taken this afternoon as Spookie was returning to her slip in Stamford CT. All the rigging was missing. They must have cut the spar away. Hopefully there are no carbon chards in anybody's skin.

Important part is nobody was hurt. That's confirmed.

Otherwise there's not much more so try and hold on spook-u-lation. Let Benj and his guys get it all sorted - they're the experts. Here's hoping they're back out soon.

Not sure what your experience was, but the two thumbnails were sideways, then when I tapped to enlarge on my ipad, the white background was the sideways shape, but the photos were upright. Then when I saved them, they were upright I the photos app, but sideways again when I tried to upload them again. So I rotated them, saved them, and rotated them back, and now they look upright to me, in thumbnail, and enlarged, and the white background is as it should be.

Bummer about the mast. But I assume they were having a blast when it happened!

Saw Spookie motoring out of Stamford earlier. Looked just the half tube sticking up, with spreaders removed. Guess she was going to Cove to be pulled.

You know...with just a little white and black electrical tape SPOOKIE could be altered to ROOKIE with very little effort.

I am sure they will find it was a part that was fatigued. Probably a metal part.

From Benj:

At approximately 12:45 pm today while sailing upwind on port tack in the second race of the Storm Trysail Club’s IRC Championships of Long Island Sound, SPOOKIE’s rig failed just above the lower spreaders. There was about 14 knots of Easterly wind and severe seas at the time. SPOOKIE’s normal crew of 9 were onboard and Steve Benjamin was at the helm. There was no maneuver or crew error involved, SPOOKIE was on port tack for over a minute before the failure, and there was normal runner tension. A new North Raw 3Di mainsail slightly smaller than the prior main was set for the first time racing today along with a J2 (Medium) genoa. Both sails were trimmed normally.

SPOOKIE has recently been in much windier and rougher conditions including the Ida Lewis Distance Race when winds exceeded 20 knots and seas were much rougher.

Currently we are diagnosing the complex damage and there is no clear indication of the cause as yet.

Benj

spookie.jpg

You know...with just a little white and black electrical tape SPOOKIE could be altered to ROOKIE with very little effort.

What a dick comment

How quick can they get a new rig???

I'm sure Benj and Hall are already on it so Spookie can race this winter down south.

I'm sure Benj and Hall are already on it so Spookie can race this winter down south.

Spookie had a Southern TPT rig

Spookie had a Southern TPT rig

My bad..... Should have said "whoever built the rig".

if I owned a boat like that with a mast like that I'd own a spare mast already.

Not likely if you understood the cost(s) involved...

If you own a boat like that then cost is not an issue

They were followed around the course in a $1 million + tender. I'm sure there's some money laying around for a new rig.

I was an eyewitness as Spookie was de-masted.

It happened fast and loud.

I have several pics of this event.

gallery_113197_992_845156.jpg

Those are "severe" seas?

Those are "severe" seas?

It was effectively pretty shitty out there in the morning, but laid down to what you see there by the end of race 1. Nothing apocalyptic by any means, but not glassy either.

the waves were somewhat severe ...... guessing occasional 6 footers short period and steep. this happened in race two while there were still solid waves and good breeze, though it was on its way down. It is amazing how pictures don't do justice to sailing conditions.

about 2 mins before they dropped the rig they were hipped up on us and we saw the leading edge of their keel as they came flying out of a wave.

The pictures doesn't show how nasty it was out there, the wind and tide kicked up some pretty tall sets of waves. gallery_113197_992_726340.jpggallery_113197_992_1240251.jpggallery_113197_992_1218537.jpggallery_113197_992_1222173.jpg

Those are "severe" seas?

The pictures doesn't show how nasty it was out there, the wind and tide kicked up some pretty tall sets of waves. gallery_113197_992_726340.jpggallery_113197_992_1240251.jpggallery_113197_992_1218537.jpggallery_113197_992_1222173.jpg

Those are "severe" seas?

The pictures doesn't show how nasty it was out there, the wind and tide kicked up some pretty tall sets of waves.

The waves were quite steep, pictures always have a tendency to flatten the water out.

There was an injury on one boat before the first race and others hung up the towel early.

Sunday was fun though. Really tricky. Tons of snakes and ladders out there.

Boat looks good in photos when sailing,......benji pushing to hard perhaps?

post-14756-0-93255200-1410851617_thumb.jpg

SEVERE

post-14756-0-95203700-1410851659_thumb.jpg

SEVERE

post-14756-0-34269200-1410851693_thumb.jpg

NOT SO SEVERE.

Top photo is a Swan 86, other is a VO 70, you make your mind up how big the waves are.

From '13 Sydney - Hobart.

This may be a result of the mast blowing around the boat yard last week!! I heard it blew off saw stools and was pretty banged up.

I'm sticking with internal taper. Break is right where the wall thickness is thinnest after tapering down from the built up spreader section.

When it fell off the sawhorses that is where it cracked.

Just guessin'.

Spars usually fail just above their last point of support. The lowers look like they are intact, so it was probably a failure in the rigging above the lower spreader. It could have also been a failure of the upper spreader that caused the lack of support above the lower spreader. My bet is on the rigging.

The best news? No one was injured.

The reason I think it is the spar is because the hardware is easy to quantify. The hardware can be engineered and built to a known quantity. As theses carbon spars advance, it is harder to physically build one to a known quantity. The wall thickness gets thinner, the taper into reinforced areas gets steeper and the actual production ability gets harder and when pushed, the unknowns increase.

Tell that to the Puma guys

Probably It was pretty shitty out there in the morning, but laid down to what you see there by the end of race 1. Nothing apocalyptic by any means, but not glassy either. <_<

just finished a deal in North Korea, got caught for spitting gum on a Singapore street...........??? Or just a break from from SA?

How is it?

Hush. Rigs are far more stable these days than back in the 80s. Quit kvetching. You can't possibly profess to know what happened so stop trying -you're making a scene.

The reason I think it is the spar is because the hardware is easy to quantify. The hardware can be engineered and built to a known quantity. As theses carbon spars advance, it is harder to physically build one to a known quantity. The wall thickness gets thinner, the taper into reinforced areas gets steeper and the actual production ability gets harder and when pushed, the unknowns increase.

Tell that to the Puma guys

The Puma guys are well aware, the spar they lost was an "evolution" of a previous design. I'm not being a smart ass, and I am glad no one was injured. Scantlings have diminished, then into unknown territory that needs a waiver signed. Just tired of rigs, hulls, keels failing.

You missed the point - you can't rule out hardware/fittings at this point. Sure, it may be less likely the cause here, but....., It seems to be accepted it was a fitting (hanger) that was the cause of the Puma dismasting- and not because it was under-spec'd. Don't see how the "evolution of a previous design" played a role there .

about 2 mins before they dropped the rig they were hipped up on us and we saw the leading edge of their keel as they came flying out of a wave.

I'm guessing this had something to do with it......

Obviously I have no real insight as to the cause. It could be anything, if you get the chance to see a hi-perf spar built, or rig one, it makes you think. If you don't remember wall thickness that varied less then 10% the length of the spar, then it most likely just looks normal. Whatever it was, I doubt anyone will give any definitive answer.

wowe! :)

not often i agree with snaggle

Don't all of worry and please stop speculating, Heidi will buy him a new rig!

Stop speculating??? I thought that was the whole point of SA? ;)

57 posts because Benji dropped a rig.... who the fuk cares?

Bitter!

You're just jealous that I posted that before you had a chance to.

I hate to admit when you are right! :P

Obviously I have no real insight as to the cause. It could be anything, if you get the chance to see a hi-perf spar built, or rig one, it makes you think. If you don't remember wall thickness that varied less then 10% the length of the spar, then it most likely just looks normal. Whatever it was, I doubt anyone will give any definitive answer.

Clues:

Rig is TPT. It is 4mm thick. And its resting state is inverted. In moderate air and chop, they'd be sailing without a lot of bend when they launched off those waves at 8 knots.

^Clean and Nroose:

So you're both assuming inversion? I would assume that someone would have sighted the mast and had the rig tension adjusted to minimize pumping. Wrong?

Those are "severe" seas?

my thoughts exactly. I guess if you're used to sailing on Walden Pond...